Eight Week Quiz G
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Science and Conclusion: Towards 1848.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the age of scientific and political progress in the 1700s called?
(b) The Romantic period.
(c) The Renaissance.
(d) The Enlightenment.
2. What idea was taking hold as social scientists began to apply scientific insights to society?
(a) The idea of a clock-maker God.
(b) Intelligent design.
(c) Social determinism.
(d) Social evolution.
3. What did the French Revolution create in Spain?
(a) New forms of government.
(b) Freedom movements in the Catalan region.
(c) Resistance to democracy.
(d) Resistance to monarchy.
4. The merchant class was situated between what and what, in Hobsbawm's account?
(a) Farmers and craftsmen.
(b) Part-time craftsmen and markets.
(c) Industrial labor and aristocrats.
(d) Political theory and practice.
5. What area was affected by what Hobsbawm calls the third wave of revolutions?
(a) Eastern Europe.
(b) Western Europe.
(c) All of Europe.
(d) The Mediterranean.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which form of rebellion did the working poor NOT engage in?
2. What was the Bastille a symbol of when the French stormed it in 1789?
3. What possibility did this social structure open to French society?
4. What crucial event does Hobsbawm say took place during the period after the French Revolution?
5. How was Beethoven's Eroica connected to the politics of Beethoven's time, in Hobsbawm's account?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)