|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Ideology: Secular.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How large were the circles within which people moved in the late 1700s, according to Hobsbawm?
(a) Smaller than today for some people, but larger for others.
(b) They were much more spread out.
(c) Much larger than today.
(d) Much smaller than today.
2. What were the three paths for a member of the working poor during the mid-1800s?
(a) Suffer in poverty, elevate themselves to the middle class, or rebel.
(b) Remain in the place of their birth, emigrate, or start a busines of their own.
(c) Immigrate to America, move to a city, or suffer in poverty.
(d) The working poor did not have options, as a whole.
3. How did the people in political power react to middle class ideology, in Hobsbawm's account?
(a) They turned it to their advantage politically.
(b) They either followed it or ignored it.
(c) They embraced it only reluctantly.
(d) They attempted to repress it, generally.
4. How were the working classes influenced by religion after the French Revolution?
(a) The were less influenced by it than before.
(b) They relied on it as another social service.
(c) They remained tithed to the church.
(d) They found consolation in the church for their hard lives.
5. What is the paradox in France's failure to develop its industries?
(a) The peasants gained more political power, but with so many voices, the government was paralyzed.
(b) The peasants had more autonomy as a result of land reforms, but they were not well positioned to capitalize on their land.
(c) The aristocracy lost the land, but retained the right to what the land produced.
(d) The workers became more efficient, but the cost of living skyrocketed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What developed in other European countries, but not in France?
2. How does Hobsbawm describe the traditional system of agriculture?
3. What was production freed from in the 1780s?
4. What change does Hobsbawm say took place in the neighborhoods of the working poor?
5. What was the consequence of British land reforms in India?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)