|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Ideology: Secular.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How large were the circles within which people moved in the late 1700s, according to Hobsbawm?
(a) Smaller than today for some people, but larger for others.
(b) Much smaller than today.
(c) They were much more spread out.
(d) Much larger than today.
2. What motive does Hobsbawm say would have to motivate the new owners of the land, if the land were going to develop economically?
(a) The profit motive.
(c) The urge to power.
(d) Communist sympathy.
3. Who does Hobsbawm say typified the third kind of thinking that arose in the early 1800s?
(b) Rousseau and Hegel.
(d) Wordsworth and Blake.
4. The merchant class was situated between what and what, in Hobsbawm's account?
(a) Political theory and practice.
(b) Part-time craftsmen and markets.
(c) Industrial labor and aristocrats.
(d) Farmers and craftsmen.
5. What landmark event does Hobsbawm see as the peak of the middle class ideology?
(a) The publication of "Kubla Khan".
(b) The publication of Ricardo's 'Principles of Political Economy'.
(c) The publication of "Origin of Species".
(d) The publication of Malthus' theories.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hobsbawm say revolts turned against in this period?
2. Why, according to Hobsbawm, did land reform take place in France?
3. What product does Hobsbawm say was the catalyst for the Industrial Revolution?
4. What did revolutionaries see as the goal of their revolutions?
5. Who invested in the railroads, in Hobsbawm's account?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)