|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Ideology: Secular.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the three paths for a member of the working poor during the mid-1800s?
(a) Remain in the place of their birth, emigrate, or start a busines of their own.
(b) Suffer in poverty, elevate themselves to the middle class, or rebel.
(c) The working poor did not have options, as a whole.
(d) Immigrate to America, move to a city, or suffer in poverty.
2. What was abolished in the wake of Napoleon's victories?
3. Which nation ruled most of Asia in the late 1700s?
4. What happened that fostered nationalist movements in the Balkans?
(a) Greeks began to flee to the Balkans to get away from the fighting in Greece.
(b) The Turks invaded, uniting the Balkan states against them.
(c) The Greeks attained independence and fixed borders.
(d) The Russians opened trade with the Balkan areas.
5. According to Hobsbawm, what characterized conditions in the neighborhoods of the working poor?
(a) High disease.
(b) Better and more efficient organization over time.
(c) Lower and lower population density over time.
(d) Clean streets.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did this social structure change in the years after the Napoleonic Wars?
2. Based on these landmarks, what were the dates of the beginning and the peak of middle class ideology?
3. Why did places that had not been conquered by France reform their land use, in Hobsbawm's opinion?
4. Who was represented by the "Third Estate" in France?
5. How large were the circles within which people moved in the late 1700s, according to Hobsbawm?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)