|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Ideology: Secular.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How large were the circles within which people moved in the late 1700s, according to Hobsbawm?
(a) Smaller than today for some people, but larger for others.
(b) Much larger than today.
(c) They were much more spread out.
(d) Much smaller than today.
2. What did the French monarch make a practice of in the 1780s?
(a) Placing competent men in bureaucratic positions.
(b) Ostracizing radicals and innovators.
(c) Persecuting heretics and dissenters.
(d) Selling government positions to noblemen.
3. What tool did the upper classes use to discriminate against the working poor?
(a) Hiring decisions.
(c) Military repression.
(d) Anti-union gangs.
4. In what did England lead Europe, in Hobsbawm's account?
(a) Per capita trade.
(b) Raw material production.
(c) Moral philosophy.
(d) Political freedoms.
5. What state were other economies in 1848?
(a) They were developing politically.
(b) They were still linked to agriculture.
(c) They were refining slave-based production methods.
(d) They were building the foundations for modern agricultural techniques.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the French state have a financial crisis in the 1780s?
2. How did the people in political power react to middle class ideology, in Hobsbawm's account?
3. How much does Hobsbawm say Europeans were affected by the Napoleonic Wars?
4. What, in Hobsbawm's view, was the economic result of the French Revolution?
5. What did the new view hold that was spreading through Europe?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)