|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Ideology: Secular.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the status of the Catholic Church after the French Revolution?
(a) It was becoming more powerful.
(b) It was expanding.
(c) It was appealing to the peasantry more and more.
(d) It was declining.
2. What began to develop as industrialism developed in Europe?
(a) A gap between developed and un-developed nations.
(b) Lower prices as producers competed for buyers.
(c) An arms race between nations.
(d) A trade war over tariffs.
3. What area was affected by what Hobsbawm calls the third wave of revolutions?
(a) All of Europe.
(b) The Mediterranean.
(c) Western Europe.
(d) Eastern Europe.
4. Who does Hobsbawm say typified the third kind of thinking that arose in the early 1800s?
(b) Wordsworth and Blake.
(d) Rousseau and Hegel.
5. How much does Hobsbawm say Europeans were affected by the Napoleonic Wars?
(a) He says that many were not affected at all.
(b) He says that almost everyone felt the effects in one way or another.
(c) He says that the wide areas were almost totally devastated. but some were left untouched.
(d) He says that fighting was widespread throughout many regions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tool did the upper classes use to discriminate against the working poor?
2. How does Hobsbawm describe the agrarian workers of the world?
3. What landmark event does Hobsbawm use as the beginning of the middle class ideology?
4. What happened that fostered nationalist movements in the Balkans?
5. What capability was open to the middle class, as a result of the age of revolutions, that was not open before the revolutions?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)