|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Towards an Industrial World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hobsbawm say that the Industrial Revolution could only have happened in England?
(a) Because the rest of the continent was consumed in war.
(b) Because agriculture thrived in England's moister climate.
(c) Becaue only Britain had the commercial strength and social conditions for it.
(d) Because the Industrial Revolution required a cooler climate.
2. What developed in other European countries, but not in France?
(c) An export market for luxury items.
(d) A market for common goods.
3. France was opposed by which of these in the Napoleonic Wars?
(a) Austria and Prussia.
(b) Britain and Russia.
(c) All of Europe and Britain.
(d) Russia, Prussia and Austria.
4. What is the paradox in France's failure to develop its industries?
(a) The workers became more efficient, but the cost of living skyrocketed.
(b) The aristocracy lost the land, but retained the right to what the land produced.
(c) The peasants had more autonomy as a result of land reforms, but they were not well positioned to capitalize on their land.
(d) The peasants gained more political power, but with so many voices, the government was paralyzed.
5. What did the French Revolution create in Spain?
(a) Resistance to monarchy.
(b) Freedom movements in the Catalan region.
(c) New forms of government.
(d) Resistance to democracy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hobsbawm say revolts turned against in this period?
2. Who invested in the railroads, in Hobsbawm's account?
3. What crucial event does Hobsbawm say took place during the period after the French Revolution?
4. What was the Code of Napoleon?
5. What state were other economies in 1848?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)