|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what office did Stephanus claim Agilberht ordained Wilfrid?
2. Who does Farmer report to be the earliest monk of the British Isles?
3. To whom did Cuthbert prophesy his own death, according to Bede?
4. What sign does Stephanus claim that God used to indicate that Wilfrid would serve him in the future?
5. Who was finally found to travel to St. Peter's with Wilfrid, according to Stephanus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Bede cite as helping him revise the text of "The Life of Cuthbert"?
2. To whom did Bede write "The Life of Cuthbert"?
3. What does Farmer cite as the earliest work of "The Age of Bede," and what makes it different from the other four texts?
4. Who does Bede credit with healing Cuthbert from a childhood disease that made him lame?
5. Why does Farmer consider Bede's "Lives of the Abbots" historically significant?
6. What are the five texts that make up the "Age of Bede"?
7. Who does Stephanus report that Wilfred nominated to become abbot after his death?
8. What unique power does Bede claim that Cuthbert's prayers held?
9. Who does Farmer identify as the two subjects from "The Age of Bede" who were from Northumbria?
10. Who does Bede claim chastised Cuthbert as a youth for indulging in childish games when God had a plan for his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wilfrid performed several miracles throughout the time he grew in stature and faced challenges from opponents. Find two such miracles and detail how they affirmed his Christian devotion and stood as signs to others that God was guarding his ministry.
Essay Topic 2
Ceolfrith, Eosterwin, Sigfrith, and Hwaetbehrt all made different contributions to the Abbeys at Wearmouth and Jarrow. Choose two of the abbots and detail a contribution each made to the abbey and how the separate contributions worked together to strengthen the mission of the abbeys.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout his service in ministry, Wilfrid won the support of various influential figures in the Church and politics. Find one such example of a Christian leader supporting his ministry and another of a political leader supporting him. Compare what made the two figures come to the support of Wilfrid, how the support validated his ministry, and how it benefited those whom Wilfrid served.
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)