|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who kept Wilfrid until Stephanus claimed he could meet with suitable travelers as he began his journey to St. Peter's see?
2. Who granted Wilfrid to preach in his first destination after being chased from his see?
3. How many Latin manuscripts of this document does Farmer claim still exists?
4. What was the first miracle that Bede reports that Cuthbert performed?
5. Who does Stephanus claim influenced Ecgfrith to drive Wilfrid from his see?
Short Essay Questions
1. To whom was Stephanus being obedient with his record of "The Life of Wilfred"?
2. Why did Bede claim that he wrote "The Life of Cuthbert"?
3. How did Cuthbert drive away crows that were invading the crops he grew while he was living as a hermit, according to Bede?
4. Who does Bede credit with healing Cuthbert from a childhood disease that made him lame?
5. What statement does Stephanus write to defend the facts he reports in "The Life of Wilfred"?
6. What are the five texts that make up the "Age of Bede"?
7. What miracle does Stephanus report occurred during the birth of Wilfred?
8. How does Stephanus report King Theodoric of the Franks rejected a letter requesting Wilfred be returned dead or alive to his see to face trial?
9. To whom did Bede write "The Life of Cuthbert"?
10. What unique power does Bede claim that Cuthbert's prayers held?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout his service in ministry, Wilfrid won the support of various influential figures in the Church and politics. Find one such example of a Christian leader supporting his ministry and another of a political leader supporting him. Compare what made the two figures come to the support of Wilfrid, how the support validated his ministry, and how it benefited those whom Wilfrid served.
Essay Topic 2
"The Life of Bede" is a record of efforts of Christians to introduce their faith to pagans in the British Isles. How did the efforts of the early Christian monks and clergymen of the British Isles helped to shape the institutions of Western Civilization? Use examples from the book and connect what you know of current culture to those examples.
Essay Topic 3
Ceolfrith decided his age was preventing him from conducting effective ministry. Review the decision he made regarding this recognition and explain how his actions regarding his recognition is a consistent reflection of actions he made regarding his ministry throughout his life.
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)