|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Wilfrid when Stephanus reported he left home to seek the kingdom of Heaven?
2. How many texts does D.H. Farmer report in the Introduction comprise "The Age of Bede"?
3. As Cuthbert was traveling with a boy during a preaching tour in Chapter 12, how did Bede report that Cuthbert prophesied their food would be provided?
4. Farmer asserts that the "Navigatio" is a fascinating mixture of what?
5. Which of the works in "The Age of Bede" does Farmer claim was popular during the Middle Ages?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Cuthbert drive away crows that were invading the crops he grew while he was living as a hermit, according to Bede?
2. According to Farmer, why is Stephanus's "Life of Wilfrid" unique among all literature?
3. Who does Farmer identify as the two subjects from "The Age of Bede" who were from Northumbria?
4. What was the debate that Wilfred conducted with Bishop Colman, and what does Stephanus suggest it led to?
5. To whom was Stephanus being obedient with his record of "The Life of Wilfred"?
6. What miracle does Stephanus report occurred during the birth of Wilfred?
7. Why does Stephanus claim that King Egfrith and his queen, Iurminburgh, conspired to remove Wilfred from his position as bishop?
8. What statement does Stephanus write to defend the facts he reports in "The Life of Wilfred"?
9. Who does Bede claim chastised Cuthbert as a youth for indulging in childish games when God had a plan for his life?
10. What does Bede report a monk witnessed when he followed Cuthbert to spy on an evening prayer vigil?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify three events in "The Life of Cuthbert" that are historically reasonable and coinciding miraculous or mystical events that occurred during those events. Use the intermingling of history with the miraculous to establish a pattern that can define Bede's purpose for writing "The Life of Cuthbert." Was it to entertain, teach, evangelize, or is there another purpose that you see.
Essay Topic 2
Wilfrid performed several miracles throughout the time he grew in stature and faced challenges from opponents. Find two such miracles and detail how they affirmed his Christian devotion and stood as signs to others that God was guarding his ministry.
Essay Topic 3
Benedict's plans for the monasteries helped to construct helped to bring innovations in both Christian and construction practices. Identify an innovation from each field that he introduced to England through the abbeys at Wearmouth and Jarrow.
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)