|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Farmer claim enabled Wilfred to travel to visit other churches through Europe?
2. Who gave Wilfrid the monastery at Ripon according to Stephanus?
3. What effect did abbots in Ireland have on the influence of bishops, according to Farmer?
4. To what book does Bede refer for support of other angels who rode on horseback?
5. What was the first miracle that Bede reports that Cuthbert performed?
Short Essay Questions
1. When and where does Farmer write the saints covered in "The Age of Bede" lived?
2. What statement does Stephanus write to defend the facts he reports in "The Life of Wilfred"?
3. Who does Stephanus claim supported Wilfred's desire to visit St. Peter's in Rome?
4. How did Cuthbert drive away crows that were invading the crops he grew while he was living as a hermit, according to Bede?
5. Who does Bede claim chastised Cuthbert as a youth for indulging in childish games when God had a plan for his life?
6. Who does Stephanus report that Wilfred nominated to become abbot after his death?
7. Why does Farmer consider the lives of the men profiled in "The Age of Bede" important to the Christian history of their region?
8. What miracle does Stephanus report occurred during the birth of Wilfred?
9. Who does Bede cite as helping him revise the text of "The Life of Cuthbert"?
10. What does Bede report a monk witnessed when he followed Cuthbert to spy on an evening prayer vigil?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wilfrid performed several miracles throughout the time he grew in stature and faced challenges from opponents. Find two such miracles and detail how they affirmed his Christian devotion and stood as signs to others that God was guarding his ministry.
Essay Topic 2
Ceolfrith decided his age was preventing him from conducting effective ministry. Review the decision he made regarding this recognition and explain how his actions regarding his recognition is a consistent reflection of actions he made regarding his ministry throughout his life.
Essay Topic 3
Farmer characterizes Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" as a hagiography that borrows from previously written biographies and legends of Cuthbert. Using Bede's "Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow" as a barometer for Bede's pure style for reporting historical fact, identify three examples from "The Life of Cuthbert" that can be assumed to be borrowed from previous legends and biographies and explain your choices with examples comparing "The Life of Cuthbert" with "The lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow."
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)