Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Wilfrid when Stephanus reported he left home to seek the kingdom of Heaven?
2. What kind of battles does Farmer report the church leaders in "The Age of Bede" fought?
3. Where does Farmer claim that the earliest surviving manuscript of "Navigatio" was written?
4. Who granted Wilfrid to preach in his first destination after being chased from his see?
5. To whom did Cuthbert prophesy his own death, according to Bede?
Short Essay Questions
1. What challenge does the anonymous writer report came to Ceolfrith and Benedict after the plague claimed the lives of many monks and Abbot Eosterwine while they were on a pilgrimage to Rome?
2. Who does the anonymous writer claim served as Brendan's party's guide for finding food after they had run out the first time on their trip?
3. Who did Bede record the monks at Wearmouth had chosen as the replacement for the abbot chosen by Benedict?
4. Where did Benedict learn his practice of Christianity, according to Bede?
5. Why did Bede claim that he wrote "The Life of Cuthbert"?
6. Besides orthodox practices in Roman Catholicism, what does Bede credit Benedict with bringing back to England from his several pilgrimages to Rome?
7. Who provided the land for which a church and monastery could be built by Ceolfrith and Benedict according to the anonymous writer?
8. For what cause did the anonymous writer report that Brendan selected 14 monks?
9. Why does the anonymous writer of "The History of Abbot Ceolfrith" claim he wrote the book?
10. Who does Bede note that Benedict chose as abbot for the new monastery he built at Jarrow?
Ceolfrith decided his age was preventing him from conducting effective ministry. Review the decision he made regarding this recognition and explain how his actions regarding his recognition is a consistent reflection of actions he made regarding his ministry throughout his life.
Stephanus reports several episodes during which Wilfrid's service is challenged and his life is even threatened. Choose one of those events and identify the cause of the challenge, how Wilfrid dealt with the challenge, how he was delivered from the challenge, and the eventual consequences of the challenge to Wilfrid and those who brought it.
The monasteries in Wearmouth and Jarrow stand as monuments to Benedict's leadership qualities. Find three examples from Bede's "Lives of the Abbots . . ." that demonstrate Benedict's leadership qualities, his foresightedness, and his devotion to establish the Church on the British Isles on firm doctrinal ground. Explain how his management style and efforts would be effective for leaders in current times.
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)