|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect did abbots in Ireland have on the influence of bishops, according to Farmer?
2. How old was Wilfrid when Stephanus reported he left home to seek the kingdom of Heaven?
3. How many Latin manuscripts of this document does Farmer claim still exists?
4. What does Farmer claim draws readers across the ages to the lives profiled in "The Age of Bede"?
5. What miracle does Stephanus report that Wilfrid performed during the construction of the church at Hexham?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Farmer consider the lives of the men profiled in "The Age of Bede" important to the Christian history of their region?
2. What unique power does Bede claim that Cuthbert's prayers held?
3. Who does Bede credit with healing Cuthbert from a childhood disease that made him lame?
4. Who does Bede claim chastised Cuthbert as a youth for indulging in childish games when God had a plan for his life?
5. To whom was Stephanus being obedient with his record of "The Life of Wilfred"?
6. Why was Wilfred sent to prison, according to Stephanus?
7. What are the five texts that make up the "Age of Bede"?
8. Who does Bede cite as helping him revise the text of "The Life of Cuthbert"?
9. Who does Stephanus claim supported Wilfred's desire to visit St. Peter's in Rome?
10. Why does Stephanus claim that King Egfrith and his queen, Iurminburgh, conspired to remove Wilfred from his position as bishop?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Farmer characterizes Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" as a hagiography that borrows from previously written biographies and legends of Cuthbert. Using Bede's "Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow" as a barometer for Bede's pure style for reporting historical fact, identify three examples from "The Life of Cuthbert" that can be assumed to be borrowed from previous legends and biographies and explain your choices with examples comparing "The Life of Cuthbert" with "The lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow."
Essay Topic 2
Wilfrid performed several miracles throughout the time he grew in stature and faced challenges from opponents. Find two such miracles and detail how they affirmed his Christian devotion and stood as signs to others that God was guarding his ministry.
Essay Topic 3
Eddius Stephanus was a contemporary of Wilfrid, and he constructed "The Life of Wilfrid" from the time he spent in service to Wilfrid. Find three examples from the book that illustrate Stephanus's involvement in the events in the book and from your examination detail what you believe to be Stephanus's role in his work with Wilfrid.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)