Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Wilfrid when Stephanus reported he left home to seek the kingdom of Heaven?
2. What kind of battles does Farmer report the church leaders in "The Age of Bede" fought?
3. Where does Farmer claim that the earliest surviving manuscript of "Navigatio" was written?
4. Who granted Wilfrid to preach in his first destination after being chased from his see?
5. To whom did Cuthbert prophesy his own death, according to Bede?
Short Essay Questions
1. What challenge does the anonymous writer report came to Ceolfrith and Benedict after the plague claimed the lives of many monks and Abbot Eosterwine while they were on a pilgrimage to Rome?
2. Who does the anonymous writer claim served as Brendan's party's guide for finding food after they had run out the first time on their trip?
3. Who did Bede record the monks at Wearmouth had chosen as the replacement for the abbot chosen by Benedict?
4. Where did Benedict learn his practice of Christianity, according to Bede?
5. Why did Bede claim that he wrote "The Life of Cuthbert"?
6. Besides orthodox practices in Roman Catholicism, what does Bede credit Benedict with bringing back to England from his several pilgrimages to Rome?
7. Who provided the land for which a church and monastery could be built by Ceolfrith and Benedict according to the anonymous writer?
8. For what cause did the anonymous writer report that Brendan selected 14 monks?
9. Why does the anonymous writer of "The History of Abbot Ceolfrith" claim he wrote the book?
10. Who does Bede note that Benedict chose as abbot for the new monastery he built at Jarrow?
Essay Topic 1
Ceolfrith decided his age was preventing him from conducting effective ministry. Review the decision he made regarding this recognition and explain how his actions regarding his recognition is a consistent reflection of actions he made regarding his ministry throughout his life.
Essay Topic 2
Wilfrid performed several miracles throughout the time he grew in stature and faced challenges from opponents. Find two such miracles and detail how they affirmed his Christian devotion and stood as signs to others that God was guarding his ministry.
Essay Topic 3
Wilfrid gained acclaim with his debate on the "Easter Question" with Bishop Colman. His presentation, which was Rome's view on when Easter should be celebrated, also preceded the opposition that came against his various offices through his career. Using observations made in D.H. Farmer's introduction and information from "The Life of Wilfrid," identify why Wilfrid's position might have motivated opposition to his leadership throughout England and explain the long-term consequences to the observation Christian holidays, especially Easter.
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)