|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what biblical story does Stephanus compare the event that preceded the battle between Wilfrid's party and the pagans?
2. What miracle does Stephanus report that Wilfrid performed during the construction of the church at Hexham?
3. According to Stephanus, how did the expansion of the Kingdom that Wilfrid advised expand his authority as Bishop?
4. The saints who are detailed in "The Age of Bede" lived in what two centuries according to Farmer?
5. What does Bede claim came of the person to whom Cuthbert prophesied his death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Stephanus report that Wilfred nominated to become abbot after his death?
2. How did Cuthbert drive away crows that were invading the crops he grew while he was living as a hermit, according to Bede?
3. Why does Farmer consider Bede's "Lives of the Abbots" historically significant?
4. Who does Bede credit with healing Cuthbert from a childhood disease that made him lame?
5. Why did Bede claim that he wrote "The Life of Cuthbert"?
6. What was the debate that Wilfred conducted with Bishop Colman, and what does Stephanus suggest it led to?
7. According to Farmer in the Introduction, how did Irish monasteries become established?
8. What does Bede report a monk witnessed when he followed Cuthbert to spy on an evening prayer vigil?
9. Who does Farmer identify as the two subjects from "The Age of Bede" who were from Northumbria?
10. What unique power does Bede claim that Cuthbert's prayers held?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ceolfrith, Eosterwin, Sigfrith, and Hwaetbehrt all made different contributions to the Abbeys at Wearmouth and Jarrow. Choose two of the abbots and detail a contribution each made to the abbey and how the separate contributions worked together to strengthen the mission of the abbeys.
Essay Topic 2
Ceolfrith decided his age was preventing him from conducting effective ministry. Review the decision he made regarding this recognition and explain how his actions regarding his recognition is a consistent reflection of actions he made regarding his ministry throughout his life.
Essay Topic 3
Wilfrid performed several miracles throughout the time he grew in stature and faced challenges from opponents. Find two such miracles and detail how they affirmed his Christian devotion and stood as signs to others that God was guarding his ministry.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)