Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Wilfrid when Stephanus reported he left home to seek the kingdom of Heaven?
2. What kind of battles does Farmer report the church leaders in "The Age of Bede" fought?
3. Where does Farmer claim that the earliest surviving manuscript of "Navigatio" was written?
4. Who granted Wilfrid to preach in his first destination after being chased from his see?
5. To whom did Cuthbert prophesy his own death, according to Bede?
Short Essay Questions
1. What challenge does the anonymous writer report came to Ceolfrith and Benedict after the plague claimed the lives of many monks and Abbot Eosterwine while they were on a pilgrimage to Rome?
2. Who does the anonymous writer claim served as Brendan's party's guide for finding food after they had run out the first time on their trip?
3. Who did Bede record the monks at Wearmouth had chosen as the replacement for the abbot chosen by Benedict?
4. Where did Benedict learn his practice of Christianity, according to Bede?
5. Why did Bede claim that he wrote "The Life of Cuthbert"?
6. Besides orthodox practices in Roman Catholicism, what does Bede credit Benedict with bringing back to England from his several pilgrimages to Rome?
7. Who provided the land for which a church and monastery could be built by Ceolfrith and Benedict according to the anonymous writer?
8. For what cause did the anonymous writer report that Brendan selected 14 monks?
9. Why does the anonymous writer of "The History of Abbot Ceolfrith" claim he wrote the book?
10. Who does Bede note that Benedict chose as abbot for the new monastery he built at Jarrow?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout his service in ministry, Wilfrid won the support of various influential figures in the Church and politics. Find one such example of a Christian leader supporting his ministry and another of a political leader supporting him. Compare what made the two figures come to the support of Wilfrid, how the support validated his ministry, and how it benefited those whom Wilfrid served.
Essay Topic 2
Identify three events in "The Life of Cuthbert" that are historically reasonable and coinciding miraculous or mystical events that occurred during those events. Use the intermingling of history with the miraculous to establish a pattern that can define Bede's purpose for writing "The Life of Cuthbert." Was it to entertain, teach, evangelize, or is there another purpose that you see.
Essay Topic 3
"The Life of Bede" is a record of efforts of Christians to introduce their faith to pagans in the British Isles. How did the efforts of the early Christian monks and clergymen of the British Isles helped to shape the institutions of Western Civilization? Use examples from the book and connect what you know of current culture to those examples.
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)