|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Farmer report to be the earliest monk of the British Isles?
2. What kind of battles does Farmer report the church leaders in "The Age of Bede" fought?
3. Who does Bede claim first chastised Cuthbert for his idleness and his indulgences?
4. Who does Stephanus claim influenced Ecgfrith to drive Wilfrid from his see?
5. The saints who are detailed in "The Age of Bede" lived in what two centuries according to Farmer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How far does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith got on his last pilgrimage to Rome?
2. Why does Stephanus claim that King Egfrith and his queen, Iurminburgh, conspired to remove Wilfred from his position as bishop?
3. Why does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith accompanied Benedict on a trip to Rome?
4. What action does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith took when he decided he was too old to be a good example to his followers?
5. What did the anonymous writer report to be surrounding Judas Iscariot when Brendan's party came upon him?
6. When an island sailed away from Brendan's party, how did God explain the event to Brendan, according to the anonymous writer?
7. In what practice did Ceolfrith train new monks and priests, according to the anonymous writer?
8. What did a bird tell Brendan that his flock actually was, according to the anonymous writer?
9. Why does Farmer consider the lives of the men profiled in "The Age of Bede" important to the Christian history of their region?
10. What does Farmer cite as the earliest work of "The Age of Bede," and what makes it different from the other four texts?
Essay Topic 1
The monasteries in Wearmouth and Jarrow stand as monuments to Benedict's leadership qualities. Find three examples from Bede's "Lives of the Abbots . . ." that demonstrate Benedict's leadership qualities, his foresightedness, and his devotion to establish the Church on the British Isles on firm doctrinal ground. Explain how his management style and efforts would be effective for leaders in current times.
Essay Topic 2
Some of the accounts presented in "The Age of Bede" contain more fantastical events than others. All are considered histories. Pick the account you find most similar to the way historical accounts are written today and describe the similarities.
Essay Topic 3
Stephanus reports several episodes during which Wilfrid's service is challenged and his life is even threatened. Choose one of those events and identify the cause of the challenge, how Wilfrid dealt with the challenge, how he was delivered from the challenge, and the eventual consequences of the challenge to Wilfrid and those who brought it.
This section contains 1,735 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)