|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The saints who are detailed in "The Age of Bede" lived in what two centuries according to Farmer?
2. How was Cuthbert's Friday fast broken on one occasion at the vesper's hour according to Bede?
3. Who was the wicked queen who Stephanus wrote persecuted the church and martyred nine bishops?
4. Which Old Testament prophet does Bede first quote in the first paragraph of Chapter One?
5. What does Bede claim came of the person to whom Cuthbert prophesied his death?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Benedict and Sigrith were confined to their beds due to illness, what responsibility does the anonymous writer report Benedict passed to Ceolfrith?
2. How long were Brendan and his party out to sea before they ran out of food after they departed their first destination, according to the anonymous writer?
3. How did Ceolfrith's training under Abbot Botulf influence his life as a church leader, according to the anonymous author?
4. What is Farmer's closing opinion of the texts of "The Age of Bede"?
5. Besides orthodox practices in Roman Catholicism, what does Bede credit Benedict with bringing back to England from his several pilgrimages to Rome?
6. What did a bird tell Brendan that his flock actually was, according to the anonymous writer?
7. When and where does Farmer write the saints covered in "The Age of Bede" lived?
8. What did the anonymous writer report to be surrounding Judas Iscariot when Brendan's party came upon him?
9. For what cause did the anonymous writer report that Brendan selected 14 monks?
10. To whom was Stephanus being obedient with his record of "The Life of Wilfred"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Voyage of St. Brendan" is a book of allegory and fantasy. Choose two characters or episodes from the book that can have allegorical significance with regard to Christian doctrine.
Essay Topic 2
In his travels Ceolfrith dealt with several kings on the British Isles and in Europe. Choose two of these kings and detail the type of relationship Ceolfrith had with them. How did Ceolfrith's relationships with these kings benefit or hinder his ministry with the abbeys of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Essay Topic 3
Bede makes an account of miracles throughout "The Life of Cuthbert." Choose three of the miracles from Bede's record and compare them to similar miracles from the Bible. Based upon your study make an assessment of whether or not the miracles occurred as Bede reported or if Bede was creating a story to attract pagans to convert to Christianity. Use text from "The Life of Cuthbert" to support your view.
This section contains 1,701 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)