|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal does Bede claim ministered to Cuthbert after he spent a night in prayer in the water off the sea shore?
2. Over what issue did Wilfrid debate Bishop Colman according to Stephanus?
3. What sign does Stephanus claim that God used to indicate that Wilfrid would serve him in the future?
4. What does Farmer identify as the basic theme of the "Navigatio"?
5. Who does Farmer report to be the earliest monk of the British Isles?
Short Essay Questions
1. What miracle does Stephanus report occurred during the birth of Wilfred?
2. Why does Farmer consider the lives of the men profiled in "The Age of Bede" important to the Christian history of their region?
3. In what practice did Ceolfrith train new monks and priests, according to the anonymous writer?
4. According to Farmer in the Introduction, how did Irish monasteries become established?
5. Who does the anonymous writer claim served as Brendan's party's guide for finding food after they had run out the first time on their trip?
6. What was the first trip that Brendan and his 14 monks took after a series of thee-day fasts over 40 days according to the anonymous writer?
7. Why does Stephanus claim that King Egfrith and his queen, Iurminburgh, conspired to remove Wilfred from his position as bishop?
8. What is Farmer's closing opinion of the texts of "The Age of Bede"?
9. Why does Farmer consider "The Voyage of St. Brendan" an important text in "The Age of Bede"?
10. According to Farmer, why is Stephanus's "Life of Wilfrid" unique among all literature?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Benedict's plans for the monasteries helped to construct helped to bring innovations in both Christian and construction practices. Identify an innovation from each field that he introduced to England through the abbeys at Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Essay Topic 2
Farmer characterizes Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" as a hagiography that borrows from previously written biographies and legends of Cuthbert. Using Bede's "Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow" as a barometer for Bede's pure style for reporting historical fact, identify three examples from "The Life of Cuthbert" that can be assumed to be borrowed from previous legends and biographies and explain your choices with examples comparing "The Life of Cuthbert" with "The lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow."
Essay Topic 3
Eddius Stephanus was a contemporary of Wilfrid, and he constructed "The Life of Wilfrid" from the time he spent in service to Wilfrid. Find three examples from the book that illustrate Stephanus's involvement in the events in the book and from your examination detail what you believe to be Stephanus's role in his work with Wilfrid.
This section contains 1,751 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)