|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city did Stephanus report Wilfrid's traveling companion leave him after they started their journey to St. Peter's?
2. Where is the body of Cuthbert buried, according to Bede's record?
3. Who does Stephanus report restored Wilfrid to his see?
4. Which of the works in "The Age of Bede" does Farmer claim was popular during the Middle Ages?
5. How does Bede claim Cuthbert kept birds from eating the barley crop he grew as he lived in isolation as a monk?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Bede claim that he wrote "The Life of Cuthbert"?
2. Who does Farmer identify as the two subjects from "The Age of Bede" who were from Northumbria?
3. What unique power does Bede claim that Cuthbert's prayers held?
4. To whom was Stephanus being obedient with his record of "The Life of Wilfred"?
5. Why was Wilfred sent to prison, according to Stephanus?
6. What statement does Stephanus write to defend the facts he reports in "The Life of Wilfred"?
7. Who does Bede cite as helping him revise the text of "The Life of Cuthbert"?
8. Who does Bede report presided over a great synod that selected Cuthbert as Bishop of Lindisfarne?
9. What miracle does Stephanus report occurred during the birth of Wilfred?
10. What are the five texts that make up the "Age of Bede"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some of the accounts presented in "The Age of Bede" contain more fantastical events than others. All are considered histories. Pick the account you find most similar to the way historical accounts are written today and describe the similarities.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout his service in ministry, Wilfrid won the support of various influential figures in the Church and politics. Find one such example of a Christian leader supporting his ministry and another of a political leader supporting him. Compare what made the two figures come to the support of Wilfrid, how the support validated his ministry, and how it benefited those whom Wilfrid served.
Essay Topic 3
The monasteries in Wearmouth and Jarrow stand as monuments to Benedict's leadership qualities. Find three examples from Bede's "Lives of the Abbots . . ." that demonstrate Benedict's leadership qualities, his foresightedness, and his devotion to establish the Church on the British Isles on firm doctrinal ground. Explain how his management style and efforts would be effective for leaders in current times.
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)