|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Latin manuscripts of this document does Farmer claim still exists?
2. Whose record of Cuthbert's death did Bede use?
3. Over what issue did Wilfrid debate Bishop Colman according to Stephanus?
4. Who did Bede report reviewed and revised his work?
5. What does Bede claim came of the person to whom Cuthbert prophesied his death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Stephanus credit with introducing Wilfred to the pope and teaching him the rules of Easter?
2. Why does Farmer consider Bede's "Lives of the Abbots" historically significant?
3. According to Farmer, why is Stephanus's "Life of Wilfrid" unique among all literature?
4. When and where does Farmer write the saints covered in "The Age of Bede" lived?
5. What statement does Stephanus write to defend the facts he reports in "The Life of Wilfred"?
6. What unique power does Bede claim that Cuthbert's prayers held?
7. Why does Stephanus claim that King Egfrith and his queen, Iurminburgh, conspired to remove Wilfred from his position as bishop?
8. How did Cuthbert drive away crows that were invading the crops he grew while he was living as a hermit, according to Bede?
9. Who does Stephanus report that Wilfred nominated to become abbot after his death?
10. Why does Farmer consider the lives of the men profiled in "The Age of Bede" important to the Christian history of their region?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In his travels Ceolfrith dealt with several kings on the British Isles and in Europe. Choose two of these kings and detail the type of relationship Ceolfrith had with them. How did Ceolfrith's relationships with these kings benefit or hinder his ministry with the abbeys of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Essay Topic 2
Stephanus reports several episodes during which Wilfrid's service is challenged and his life is even threatened. Choose one of those events and identify the cause of the challenge, how Wilfrid dealt with the challenge, how he was delivered from the challenge, and the eventual consequences of the challenge to Wilfrid and those who brought it.
Essay Topic 3
Wilfrid performed several miracles throughout the time he grew in stature and faced challenges from opponents. Find two such miracles and detail how they affirmed his Christian devotion and stood as signs to others that God was guarding his ministry.
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)