|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Farmer claim to be the document that the earliest monk wrote?
2. Why did a demon leave the wife of Sheriff Hildmer as he and Cuthbert approached his home, according to Bede?
3. Over what issue did Wilfrid debate Bishop Colman according to Stephanus?
4. Which duke of Theodoric petitioned the king over the land Wilfrid where was preaching to have Wilfrid sent to him dead or alive, according to Stephanus?
5. What animal does Bede claim ministered to Cuthbert after he spent a night in prayer in the water off the sea shore?
Short Essay Questions
1. To whom was Stephanus being obedient with his record of "The Life of Wilfred"?
2. What is Farmer's closing opinion of the texts of "The Age of Bede"?
3. Why does Farmer consider the lives of the men profiled in "The Age of Bede" important to the Christian history of their region?
4. Who does Bede cite as helping him revise the text of "The Life of Cuthbert"?
5. What was the debate that Wilfred conducted with Bishop Colman, and what does Stephanus suggest it led to?
6. Why was Wilfred sent to prison, according to Stephanus?
7. How did Cuthbert drive away crows that were invading the crops he grew while he was living as a hermit, according to Bede?
8. Who does Bede credit with healing Cuthbert from a childhood disease that made him lame?
9. Why does Farmer consider "The Voyage of St. Brendan" an important text in "The Age of Bede"?
10. What unique power does Bede claim that Cuthbert's prayers held?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wilfrid gained acclaim with his debate on the "Easter Question" with Bishop Colman. His presentation, which was Rome's view on when Easter should be celebrated, also preceded the opposition that came against his various offices through his career. Using observations made in D.H. Farmer's introduction and information from "The Life of Wilfrid," identify why Wilfrid's position might have motivated opposition to his leadership throughout England and explain the long-term consequences to the observation Christian holidays, especially Easter.
Essay Topic 2
Bede was monk at Jarrow during the late 7th and early 8th centuries. He is known as the "Father of English History." Give details of how Bede's personal service directed his choice of figures for which to write biographies, the events he chose to cover, and how he characterized the influence these figures had on the region in which they served.
Essay Topic 3
Bede makes an account of miracles throughout "The Life of Cuthbert." Choose three of the miracles from Bede's record and compare them to similar miracles from the Bible. Based upon your study make an assessment of whether or not the miracles occurred as Bede reported or if Bede was creating a story to attract pagans to convert to Christianity. Use text from "The Life of Cuthbert" to support your view.
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)