|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of battles does Farmer report the church leaders in "The Age of Bede" fought?
2. According to Stephanus, how did the expansion of the Kingdom that Wilfrid advised expand his authority as Bishop?
3. Where is the body of Cuthbert buried, according to Bede's record?
4. Which Northumbrian cleric does Farmer record as being trained in Lindisfarne?
5. What was the result of the prayers Cuthbert led while he and two brethren were stranded during a sea voyage without provisions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What unique power does Bede claim that Cuthbert's prayers held?
2. Why does Farmer consider the lives of the men profiled in "The Age of Bede" important to the Christian history of their region?
3. To whom was Stephanus being obedient with his record of "The Life of Wilfred"?
4. Why does Farmer consider "The Voyage of St. Brendan" an important text in "The Age of Bede"?
5. According to Farmer in the Introduction, how did Irish monasteries become established?
6. What are the five texts that make up the "Age of Bede"?
7. What does Farmer cite as the earliest work of "The Age of Bede," and what makes it different from the other four texts?
8. Who does Bede credit with healing Cuthbert from a childhood disease that made him lame?
9. According to Farmer, why is Stephanus's "Life of Wilfrid" unique among all literature?
10. Who does Stephanus credit with introducing Wilfred to the pope and teaching him the rules of Easter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ceolfrith, Eosterwin, Sigfrith, and Hwaetbehrt all made different contributions to the Abbeys at Wearmouth and Jarrow. Choose two of the abbots and detail a contribution each made to the abbey and how the separate contributions worked together to strengthen the mission of the abbeys.
Essay Topic 2
Stephanus reports several episodes during which Wilfrid's service is challenged and his life is even threatened. Choose one of those events and identify the cause of the challenge, how Wilfrid dealt with the challenge, how he was delivered from the challenge, and the eventual consequences of the challenge to Wilfrid and those who brought it.
Essay Topic 3
In his travels Ceolfrith dealt with several kings on the British Isles and in Europe. Choose two of these kings and detail the type of relationship Ceolfrith had with them. How did Ceolfrith's relationships with these kings benefit or hinder his ministry with the abbeys of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)