|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Old Testament prophet does Bede first quote in the first paragraph of Chapter One?
2. How old was Wilfrid when Stephanus reported he left home to seek the kingdom of Heaven?
3. How does Bede claim Christian converts profaned their faith in Chapter 9?
4. What sign does Stephanus claim was sent to prove that God intended Wilfred to be a saint?
5. Who does Bede claim first chastised Cuthbert for his idleness and his indulgences?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Bede claim chastised Cuthbert as a youth for indulging in childish games when God had a plan for his life?
2. To whom was Stephanus being obedient with his record of "The Life of Wilfred"?
3. When and where does Farmer write the saints covered in "The Age of Bede" lived?
4. Why does Farmer consider "The Voyage of St. Brendan" an important text in "The Age of Bede"?
5. Who does Stephanus claim supported Wilfred's desire to visit St. Peter's in Rome?
6. According to Farmer, why is Stephanus's "Life of Wilfrid" unique among all literature?
7. Why does Farmer consider Bede's "Lives of the Abbots" historically significant?
8. Who does Farmer identify as the two subjects from "The Age of Bede" who were from Northumbria?
9. What does Bede report a monk witnessed when he followed Cuthbert to spy on an evening prayer vigil?
10. What does Farmer cite as the earliest work of "The Age of Bede," and what makes it different from the other four texts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Voyage of St. Brendan" has a significantly different tone than do the other accounts from the books in "The Age of Bede." Identify the nature of that difference and, using D.H. Farmer's introduction, support the reasons for those differences from that text.
Essay Topic 2
Ceolfrith made pilgrimages to Rome and Europe with Benedict. Detail two contributions to British Christianity that Ceolfrith assisted Benedict bringing from their pilgrimages, and explain how those contributions have helped to shape Christian thoughts and practices today.
Essay Topic 3
In his travels Ceolfrith dealt with several kings on the British Isles and in Europe. Choose two of these kings and detail the type of relationship Ceolfrith had with them. How did Ceolfrith's relationships with these kings benefit or hinder his ministry with the abbeys of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)