|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Wilfrid's destination when he left his home, according to Stephanus?
2. What does Farmer claim draws readers across the ages to the lives profiled in "The Age of Bede"?
3. As Cuthbert was traveling with a boy during a preaching tour in Chapter 12, how did Bede report that Cuthbert prophesied their food would be provided?
4. In what city did Stephanus report Wilfrid's traveling companion leave him after they started their journey to St. Peter's?
5. What does Farmer report came of Cuthbert after he spent many years in a monastery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What unique power does Bede claim that Cuthbert's prayers held?
2. What is Farmer's closing opinion of the texts of "The Age of Bede"?
3. What are the five texts that make up the "Age of Bede"?
4. Why does Farmer consider the lives of the men profiled in "The Age of Bede" important to the Christian history of their region?
5. Who does Bede report presided over a great synod that selected Cuthbert as Bishop of Lindisfarne?
6. To whom did Bede write "The Life of Cuthbert"?
7. What was the debate that Wilfred conducted with Bishop Colman, and what does Stephanus suggest it led to?
8. From whom did Bede record the details of Cuthbert's death?
9. According to Farmer in the Introduction, how did Irish monasteries become established?
10. What statement does Stephanus write to defend the facts he reports in "The Life of Wilfred"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify three events in "The Life of Cuthbert" that are historically reasonable and coinciding miraculous or mystical events that occurred during those events. Use the intermingling of history with the miraculous to establish a pattern that can define Bede's purpose for writing "The Life of Cuthbert." Was it to entertain, teach, evangelize, or is there another purpose that you see.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout his service in ministry, Wilfrid won the support of various influential figures in the Church and politics. Find one such example of a Christian leader supporting his ministry and another of a political leader supporting him. Compare what made the two figures come to the support of Wilfrid, how the support validated his ministry, and how it benefited those whom Wilfrid served.
Essay Topic 3
Cuthbert, Wilfrid, and Benedict are three Church leaders who had great influence on the foundation of Christianity in Europe and the Western Hemisphere. Identify one achievement by each of this men that have had a long standing influence in the practice or doctrine of Western Christianity.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)