|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect did abbots in Ireland have on the influence of bishops, according to Farmer?
2. What does Stephanus claim was the King's response to the request that Wilfrid be sent to the duke?
3. What was Wilfrid's destination when he left his home, according to Stephanus?
4. What did Bede claim to be Cuthbert's preoccupation when he was still eight years old?
5. To what office did Stephanus claim Agilberht ordained Wilfrid?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Stephanus report King Theodoric of the Franks rejected a letter requesting Wilfred be returned dead or alive to his see to face trial?
2. What statement does Stephanus write to defend the facts he reports in "The Life of Wilfred"?
3. What is Farmer's closing opinion of the texts of "The Age of Bede"?
4. Who does Bede credit with healing Cuthbert from a childhood disease that made him lame?
5. According to Farmer, why is Stephanus's "Life of Wilfrid" unique among all literature?
6. What does Farmer cite as the earliest work of "The Age of Bede," and what makes it different from the other four texts?
7. Why does Farmer consider "The Voyage of St. Brendan" an important text in "The Age of Bede"?
8. Who does Bede cite as helping him revise the text of "The Life of Cuthbert"?
9. To whom was Stephanus being obedient with his record of "The Life of Wilfred"?
10. Who does Stephanus report that Wilfred nominated to become abbot after his death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout his service in ministry, Wilfrid won the support of various influential figures in the Church and politics. Find one such example of a Christian leader supporting his ministry and another of a political leader supporting him. Compare what made the two figures come to the support of Wilfrid, how the support validated his ministry, and how it benefited those whom Wilfrid served.
Essay Topic 2
Bede was monk at Jarrow during the late 7th and early 8th centuries. He is known as the "Father of English History." Give details of how Bede's personal service directed his choice of figures for which to write biographies, the events he chose to cover, and how he characterized the influence these figures had on the region in which they served.
Essay Topic 3
"The Life of Bede" is a record of efforts of Christians to introduce their faith to pagans in the British Isles. How did the efforts of the early Christian monks and clergymen of the British Isles helped to shape the institutions of Western Civilization? Use examples from the book and connect what you know of current culture to those examples.
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)