|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of battles does Farmer report the church leaders in "The Age of Bede" fought?
2. For what two countries does Farmer claim "The Age of Bede" to be an important source of early Christian Church history?
3. What miracle does Stephanus report that Wilfrid performed during the construction of the church at Hexham?
4. Who does Bede claim first chastised Cuthbert for his idleness and his indulgences?
5. To whom did Cuthbert prophesy his own death, according to Bede?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Farmer identify as the two subjects from "The Age of Bede" who were from Northumbria?
2. Why does Farmer consider the lives of the men profiled in "The Age of Bede" important to the Christian history of their region?
3. What statement does Stephanus write to defend the facts he reports in "The Life of Wilfred"?
4. Who does Stephanus report that Wilfred nominated to become abbot after his death?
5. What does Farmer cite as the earliest work of "The Age of Bede," and what makes it different from the other four texts?
6. What unique power does Bede claim that Cuthbert's prayers held?
7. Who does Stephanus claim supported Wilfred's desire to visit St. Peter's in Rome?
8. When and where does Farmer write the saints covered in "The Age of Bede" lived?
9. How does Stephanus report King Theodoric of the Franks rejected a letter requesting Wilfred be returned dead or alive to his see to face trial?
10. What miracle does Stephanus report occurred during the birth of Wilfred?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The monasteries in Wearmouth and Jarrow stand as monuments to Benedict's leadership qualities. Find three examples from Bede's "Lives of the Abbots . . ." that demonstrate Benedict's leadership qualities, his foresightedness, and his devotion to establish the Church on the British Isles on firm doctrinal ground. Explain how his management style and efforts would be effective for leaders in current times.
Essay Topic 2
"The Voyage of St. Brendan" has a significantly different tone than do the other accounts from the books in "The Age of Bede." Identify the nature of that difference and, using D.H. Farmer's introduction, support the reasons for those differences from that text.
Essay Topic 3
Some of the accounts presented in "The Age of Bede" contain more fantastical events than others. All are considered histories. Pick the account you find most similar to the way historical accounts are written today and describe the similarities.
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)