|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the wicked queen who Stephanus wrote persecuted the church and martyred nine bishops?
2. Where is the body of Cuthbert buried, according to Bede's record?
3. Who did Bede report reviewed and revised his work?
4. What animal does Bede claim ministered to Cuthbert after he spent a night in prayer in the water off the sea shore?
5. What does Stephanus claim was the King's response to the request that Wilfrid be sent to the duke?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bede report a monk witnessed when he followed Cuthbert to spy on an evening prayer vigil?
2. Why was Wilfred sent to prison, according to Stephanus?
3. Who does Bede cite as helping him revise the text of "The Life of Cuthbert"?
4. To whom did Bede write "The Life of Cuthbert"?
5. Why does Stephanus claim that King Egfrith and his queen, Iurminburgh, conspired to remove Wilfred from his position as bishop?
6. What was the debate that Wilfred conducted with Bishop Colman, and what does Stephanus suggest it led to?
7. Who does Stephanus report that Wilfred nominated to become abbot after his death?
8. Why does Farmer consider "The Voyage of St. Brendan" an important text in "The Age of Bede"?
9. According to Farmer, why is Stephanus's "Life of Wilfrid" unique among all literature?
10. When and where does Farmer write the saints covered in "The Age of Bede" lived?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bede was monk at Jarrow during the late 7th and early 8th centuries. He is known as the "Father of English History." Give details of how Bede's personal service directed his choice of figures for which to write biographies, the events he chose to cover, and how he characterized the influence these figures had on the region in which they served.
Essay Topic 2
Eddius Stephanus was a contemporary of Wilfrid, and he constructed "The Life of Wilfrid" from the time he spent in service to Wilfrid. Find three examples from the book that illustrate Stephanus's involvement in the events in the book and from your examination detail what you believe to be Stephanus's role in his work with Wilfrid.
Essay Topic 3
Ceolfrith decided his age was preventing him from conducting effective ministry. Review the decision he made regarding this recognition and explain how his actions regarding his recognition is a consistent reflection of actions he made regarding his ministry throughout his life.
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)