|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Stephanus, how did the expansion of the Kingdom that Wilfrid advised expand his authority as Bishop?
2. What term does Farmer use to identify a community of monks?
3. Over what issue did Wilfrid debate Bishop Colman according to Stephanus?
4. Which cleric does Farmer identify as coming from Northumbria and trained at Melrose?
5. Who kept Wilfrid until Stephanus claimed he could meet with suitable travelers as he began his journey to St. Peter's see?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Bede claim chastised Cuthbert as a youth for indulging in childish games when God had a plan for his life?
2. Who does Bede cite as helping him revise the text of "The Life of Cuthbert"?
3. Who does Stephanus credit with introducing Wilfred to the pope and teaching him the rules of Easter?
4. How did Cuthbert drive away crows that were invading the crops he grew while he was living as a hermit, according to Bede?
5. What does Farmer cite as the earliest work of "The Age of Bede," and what makes it different from the other four texts?
6. Why was Wilfred sent to prison, according to Stephanus?
7. Why does Farmer consider the lives of the men profiled in "The Age of Bede" important to the Christian history of their region?
8. What does Bede report a monk witnessed when he followed Cuthbert to spy on an evening prayer vigil?
9. Who does Bede report presided over a great synod that selected Cuthbert as Bishop of Lindisfarne?
10. What statement does Stephanus write to defend the facts he reports in "The Life of Wilfred"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Voyage of St. Brendan" is a book of allegory and fantasy. Choose two characters or episodes from the book that can have allegorical significance with regard to Christian doctrine.
Essay Topic 2
Bede was monk at Jarrow during the late 7th and early 8th centuries. He is known as the "Father of English History." Give details of how Bede's personal service directed his choice of figures for which to write biographies, the events he chose to cover, and how he characterized the influence these figures had on the region in which they served.
Essay Topic 3
Ceolfrith decided his age was preventing him from conducting effective ministry. Review the decision he made regarding this recognition and explain how his actions regarding his recognition is a consistent reflection of actions he made regarding his ministry throughout his life.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)