|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Farmer report to be the earliest monk of the British Isles?
2. What were Brendan's most important monasteries, according to Farmer?
3. How does Bede claim Cuthbert kept birds from eating the barley crop he grew as he lived in isolation as a monk?
4. Who does Stephanus claim introduced Wilfrid to the Pope?
5. What principal apostle of Ireland does Farmer claim encouraged monasticism for men and women?
Short Essay Questions
1. From whom did Bede record the details of Cuthbert's death?
2. What statement does Stephanus write to defend the facts he reports in "The Life of Wilfred"?
3. What is Farmer's closing opinion of the texts of "The Age of Bede"?
4. To whom was Stephanus being obedient with his record of "The Life of Wilfred"?
5. Who does Stephanus report that Wilfred nominated to become abbot after his death?
6. Why does Farmer consider Bede's "Lives of the Abbots" historically significant?
7. Why does Stephanus claim that King Egfrith and his queen, Iurminburgh, conspired to remove Wilfred from his position as bishop?
8. According to Farmer in the Introduction, how did Irish monasteries become established?
9. How does Stephanus report King Theodoric of the Franks rejected a letter requesting Wilfred be returned dead or alive to his see to face trial?
10. Why does Farmer consider the lives of the men profiled in "The Age of Bede" important to the Christian history of their region?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The monasteries in Wearmouth and Jarrow stand as monuments to Benedict's leadership qualities. Find three examples from Bede's "Lives of the Abbots . . ." that demonstrate Benedict's leadership qualities, his foresightedness, and his devotion to establish the Church on the British Isles on firm doctrinal ground. Explain how his management style and efforts would be effective for leaders in current times.
Essay Topic 2
Bede makes an account of miracles throughout "The Life of Cuthbert." Choose three of the miracles from Bede's record and compare them to similar miracles from the Bible. Based upon your study make an assessment of whether or not the miracles occurred as Bede reported or if Bede was creating a story to attract pagans to convert to Christianity. Use text from "The Life of Cuthbert" to support your view.
Essay Topic 3
Farmer characterizes Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" as a hagiography that borrows from previously written biographies and legends of Cuthbert. Using Bede's "Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow" as a barometer for Bede's pure style for reporting historical fact, identify three examples from "The Life of Cuthbert" that can be assumed to be borrowed from previous legends and biographies and explain your choices with examples comparing "The Life of Cuthbert" with "The lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow."
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)