|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the body of Cuthbert buried, according to Bede's record?
2. What does Farmer identify as the basic theme of the "Navigatio"?
3. Who does Farmer credit with writing the earliest "Life of Cuthbert"?
4. What does Farmer report came of Cuthbert after he spent many years in a monastery?
5. Which Northumbrian cleric does Farmer record as being trained in Lindisfarne?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Stephanus report King Theodoric of the Franks rejected a letter requesting Wilfred be returned dead or alive to his see to face trial?
2. To whom did Bede write "The Life of Cuthbert"?
3. Who does Bede claim chastised Cuthbert as a youth for indulging in childish games when God had a plan for his life?
4. Why does Farmer consider "The Voyage of St. Brendan" an important text in "The Age of Bede"?
5. Who does Stephanus report that Wilfred nominated to become abbot after his death?
6. Who does Bede report presided over a great synod that selected Cuthbert as Bishop of Lindisfarne?
7. Who does Stephanus claim supported Wilfred's desire to visit St. Peter's in Rome?
8. What does Farmer cite as the earliest work of "The Age of Bede," and what makes it different from the other four texts?
9. Why does Stephanus claim that King Egfrith and his queen, Iurminburgh, conspired to remove Wilfred from his position as bishop?
10. Why did Bede claim that he wrote "The Life of Cuthbert"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ceolfrith decided his age was preventing him from conducting effective ministry. Review the decision he made regarding this recognition and explain how his actions regarding his recognition is a consistent reflection of actions he made regarding his ministry throughout his life.
Essay Topic 2
Cuthbert, Wilfrid, and Benedict are three Church leaders who had great influence on the foundation of Christianity in Europe and the Western Hemisphere. Identify one achievement by each of this men that have had a long standing influence in the practice or doctrine of Western Christianity.
Essay Topic 3
Identify three events in "The Life of Cuthbert" that are historically reasonable and coinciding miraculous or mystical events that occurred during those events. Use the intermingling of history with the miraculous to establish a pattern that can define Bede's purpose for writing "The Life of Cuthbert." Was it to entertain, teach, evangelize, or is there another purpose that you see.
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)