|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Irish apostle, according to Farmer, became famous for the founding of the Bobbio and Saint-Gall monasteries.
2. Which duke of Theodoric petitioned the king over the land Wilfrid where was preaching to have Wilfrid sent to him dead or alive, according to Stephanus?
3. Who kept Wilfrid until Stephanus claimed he could meet with suitable travelers as he began his journey to St. Peter's see?
4. What animal does Bede claim ministered to Cuthbert after he spent a night in prayer in the water off the sea shore?
5. Who does Bede claim first chastised Cuthbert for his idleness and his indulgences?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Bede credit with healing Cuthbert from a childhood disease that made him lame?
2. What does Farmer cite as the earliest work of "The Age of Bede," and what makes it different from the other four texts?
3. Who does Bede report presided over a great synod that selected Cuthbert as Bishop of Lindisfarne?
4. Who does Stephanus claim supported Wilfred's desire to visit St. Peter's in Rome?
5. Who does Bede claim chastised Cuthbert as a youth for indulging in childish games when God had a plan for his life?
6. Who does Stephanus report that Wilfred nominated to become abbot after his death?
7. How does Stephanus report King Theodoric of the Franks rejected a letter requesting Wilfred be returned dead or alive to his see to face trial?
8. What are the five texts that make up the "Age of Bede"?
9. What does Bede report a monk witnessed when he followed Cuthbert to spy on an evening prayer vigil?
10. Why was Wilfred sent to prison, according to Stephanus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Benedict's plans for the monasteries helped to construct helped to bring innovations in both Christian and construction practices. Identify an innovation from each field that he introduced to England through the abbeys at Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Essay Topic 2
Ceolfrith made pilgrimages to Rome and Europe with Benedict. Detail two contributions to British Christianity that Ceolfrith assisted Benedict bringing from their pilgrimages, and explain how those contributions have helped to shape Christian thoughts and practices today.
Essay Topic 3
Stephanus reports several episodes during which Wilfrid's service is challenged and his life is even threatened. Choose one of those events and identify the cause of the challenge, how Wilfrid dealt with the challenge, how he was delivered from the challenge, and the eventual consequences of the challenge to Wilfrid and those who brought it.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)