|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What came of a phantom fire that came upon a village while Bede reports that Cuthbert was teaching on the distractions of the devil?
2. Who kept Wilfrid until Stephanus claimed he could meet with suitable travelers as he began his journey to St. Peter's see?
3. In what city did Stephanus report Wilfrid's traveling companion leave him after they started their journey to St. Peter's?
4. What does Bede report Cuthbert used to cure a sick servant to a bodyguard of King Ecgfrith?
5. What were two things that Bede said he avoided in the prologue?
Short Essay Questions
1. To whom did Bede write "The Life of Cuthbert"?
2. Who does Bede claim chastised Cuthbert as a youth for indulging in childish games when God had a plan for his life?
3. Who does Stephanus claim supported Wilfred's desire to visit St. Peter's in Rome?
4. How does Stephanus report King Theodoric of the Franks rejected a letter requesting Wilfred be returned dead or alive to his see to face trial?
5. What miracle does Stephanus report occurred during the birth of Wilfred?
6. What are the five texts that make up the "Age of Bede"?
7. Who does Bede report presided over a great synod that selected Cuthbert as Bishop of Lindisfarne?
8. Who does Stephanus credit with introducing Wilfred to the pope and teaching him the rules of Easter?
9. Why does Stephanus claim that King Egfrith and his queen, Iurminburgh, conspired to remove Wilfred from his position as bishop?
10. What is Farmer's closing opinion of the texts of "The Age of Bede"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cuthbert, Wilfrid, and Benedict are three Church leaders who had great influence on the foundation of Christianity in Europe and the Western Hemisphere. Identify one achievement by each of this men that have had a long standing influence in the practice or doctrine of Western Christianity.
Essay Topic 2
Bede makes an account of miracles throughout "The Life of Cuthbert." Choose three of the miracles from Bede's record and compare them to similar miracles from the Bible. Based upon your study make an assessment of whether or not the miracles occurred as Bede reported or if Bede was creating a story to attract pagans to convert to Christianity. Use text from "The Life of Cuthbert" to support your view.
Essay Topic 3
Benedict's plans for the monasteries helped to construct helped to bring innovations in both Christian and construction practices. Identify an innovation from each field that he introduced to England through the abbeys at Wearmouth and Jarrow.
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)