|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which duke of Theodoric petitioned the king over the land Wilfrid where was preaching to have Wilfrid sent to him dead or alive, according to Stephanus?
2. To what book does Bede refer for support of other angels who rode on horseback?
3. Of what does Stephanus claim Wilfrid accused English bishops prior to his journey to Gaul?
4. What was the first miracle that Bede reports that Cuthbert performed?
5. In what literary form does Farmer claim Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" is written?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what cause did the anonymous writer report that Brendan selected 14 monks?
2. Why did Bede claim that he wrote "The Life of Cuthbert"?
3. Who does Bede cite as helping him revise the text of "The Life of Cuthbert"?
4. How long were Brendan and his party out to sea before they ran out of food after they departed their first destination, according to the anonymous writer?
5. What did the bird tell Brendan was their punishment from God for their sin, according to the anonymous writer?
6. Who does Stephanus report that Wilfred nominated to become abbot after his death?
7. Who provided the land for which a church and monastery could be built by Ceolfrith and Benedict according to the anonymous writer?
8. Who does the anonymous author claim chose Ceolfrith to become a priest?
9. How did a hermit named Paul claim he received his food while he was on a journey to his final resting place, according to the anonymous writer?
10. Who did Benedict chose as abbot for the monastery at Wearmouth, according to Bede?
Essay Topic 1
"The Life of Bede" is a record of efforts of Christians to introduce their faith to pagans in the British Isles. How did the efforts of the early Christian monks and clergymen of the British Isles helped to shape the institutions of Western Civilization? Use examples from the book and connect what you know of current culture to those examples.
Essay Topic 2
Ceolfrith decided his age was preventing him from conducting effective ministry. Review the decision he made regarding this recognition and explain how his actions regarding his recognition is a consistent reflection of actions he made regarding his ministry throughout his life.
Essay Topic 3
Eddius Stephanus was a contemporary of Wilfrid, and he constructed "The Life of Wilfrid" from the time he spent in service to Wilfrid. Find three examples from the book that illustrate Stephanus's involvement in the events in the book and from your examination detail what you believe to be Stephanus's role in his work with Wilfrid.
This section contains 1,612 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)