|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What custom arose from the burial of Ceolfrith?
(a) Praying the Psalms prior to kneeling at Ceolfrith's tomb.
(b) Placing flowers on a grave.
(c) Wearing black for mourning.
(d) Having a celebration with friends which eventually became known as a wake.
2. During their journey, what did they discover surrounded Judas Iscariot?
(a) Flames of torment.
(b) Cold isolation.
(c) A scroll of condemnation.
(d) A great number of demons.
3. What does the anonymous writer of the "Voyage of St. Brendan" document as Brendan's lineage?
(a) He was the son of Findlug, great-grandson of Atla of the line of Eogen.
(b) He was Father of Ceolfrith and Cynefrith.
(c) He was brother of Benedict.
(d) He was the son of Cuthbert and grandson of Benedict.
4. Who welcomed Ceolfrith in Gaul, according to the anonymous author?
(a) King Egfrid.
(b) King Aldfrid.
(c) King Ecgfrith.
(d) King Hilperic.
5. Who was named to rule the monastery shortly before Ceolfrith joined it, according to the anonymous author?
(a) Ceolfrith's brother, Cynefrith.
(b) Bishop Wilford.
(c) Ceolfrith's cousin, Tunbert.
(d) Abbot Botulf.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bede claim Sigfrid came to be promoted from deacon to abbot after Eosterwine's left his abbey?
2. What monastery construction on the north bank of Wear was funded by Benedict, according to Bede?
3. What did the anonymous author report that Brendan said a rocky island that had no sand on its beach actually was?
4. What apostle and New Testament book does the anonymous author on the history of Ceolfrith cite as his inspiration for writing the book.
5. How many monks did the anonymous author report Ceolfrith took with him to complete the new construction that King Egfrith sponsored?
Short Essay Questions
1. How far does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith got on his last pilgrimage to Rome?
2. When Benedict and Sigrith were confined to their beds due to illness, what responsibility does the anonymous writer report Benedict passed to Ceolfrith?
3. What manual trade does Bede report Benedict brought to England during construction of the monastery at the north bank at the mouth of the Wear River?
4. How did the abbot at Wearmouth die while Benedict was on a pilgrimage to Rome according to Bede?
5. Who did Bede record the monks at Wearmouth had chosen as the replacement for the abbot chosen by Benedict?
6. What was the first trip that Brendan and his 14 monks took after a series of thee-day fasts over 40 days according to the anonymous writer?
7. How did Ceolfrith's training under Abbot Botulf influence his life as a church leader, according to the anonymous author?
8. For what cause did the anonymous writer report that Brendan selected 14 monks?
9. How did a hermit named Paul claim he received his food while he was on a journey to his final resting place, according to the anonymous writer?
10. Who does Bede note that Benedict chose as abbot for the new monastery he built at Jarrow?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)