|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the anonymous author report Ceolfrith was buried?
(a) In the church of the holy martyred brothers Speusippus, Eleusippus, and Meleusippus.
(b) In the new abbey at Jarrow.
(c) In a secluded wood as he favored his time spent as a hermit.
(d) In Wearmouth next to the tomb of Benedict.
2. How many monks did the anonymous author report Ceolfrith left behind at his monasteries?
3. To what cause does Bede claim Benedict devoted himself after he traveled to Rome to visit the tombs of the Apostles?
(a) To the interpretation and preaching of the Gospel.
(b) To training priestly aspirants to what is now known as the "Benedictine Order".
(c) Making known the forms of church life he witnessed in Rome.
(d) To the translation and writing of scripture.
4. To where had Bredan's son fled to live the life of a hermit with other monks, according to the story recorded by the anonymous author?
(a) The Land of Promise of the Saints.
(b) The Meadow of Miracles.
(c) The Valley of Virtue.
(d) The Island of Delights.
5. Who does the anonymous author claim presided over the monastery before Ceolfrith joined it?
(a) Ceolfrith's brother, Cynefrith.
(b) Abbot Botulf.
(c) Ceolfrith's cousin, Tunbert.
(d) Bishop Wilford.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Brendan said he and his son landed the boat in which they took their trip, how long did they walk on the island before without reaching the furthest shore from their landing, according to the anonymous writer?
2. What does the anonymous author report appeared before the traveling party after it had finished singing on its way back to its boat?
3. After the death of Benedict, how many years does the anonymous author credit Ceolfrith with presiding over both monasteries simultaneously?
4. Who donated the land for Benedict to build a monastery in Northumbria, according to Bede?
5. What does Bede trace as Eosterwine's relationship to Benedict?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who provided the land for which a church and monastery could be built by Ceolfrith and Benedict according to the anonymous writer?
2. Who does the anonymous author claim chose Ceolfrith to become a priest?
3. How did Ceolfrith's training under Abbot Botulf influence his life as a church leader, according to the anonymous author?
4. When Benedict and Sigrith were confined to their beds due to illness, what responsibility does the anonymous writer report Benedict passed to Ceolfrith?
5. How did the abbot at Wearmouth die while Benedict was on a pilgrimage to Rome according to Bede?
6. Who does Bede claim endorsed the choice of the monks of Jarrow and Wearmouth?
7. What did the anonymous writer report to be surrounding Judas Iscariot when Brendan's party came upon him?
8. What action does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith took when he decided he was too old to be a good example to his followers?
9. When an island sailed away from Brendan's party, how did God explain the event to Brendan, according to the anonymous writer?
10. Where did Benedict learn his practice of Christianity, according to Bede?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)