|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the death of Benedict, how many years does the anonymous author credit Ceolfrith with presiding over both monasteries simultaneously?
2. How long did the person who met Brendan and his son claim they had been on the island without eating food or drink or taking any sleep?
(a) 7 days
(b) 40 days.
(c) For a whole year.
(d) 3 days.
3. Who returned a letter of thanks for the gift the monks delivered to Rome according to the anonymous author?
(a) Pope Agatho.
(b) Archbishop Berhtwald.
(c) Archdeacon Boniface.
(d) Pope Gregory.
4. Who does the anonymous writer record God sent to be the guide of Brendan's traveling party after they landed on the island?
(a) A boy with a basket of bread.
(b) A man with an aura of shining light.
(c) A dog.
(d) A hermit named Paul.
5. Who did Bede report was chosen to replace Ceolfrith?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bede report came of King Egfrid during Benedict's journey?
2. How was the light for the island provided in the story the anonymous writer recorded from Brendan?
3. During their journey, what did they discover surrounded Judas Iscariot?
4. What did the anonymous writer record that Brendan claimed they reached as they walked toward the furthest shore of their landing?
5. What illness does Bede report came to Benedict shortly after Sigfrith became abbot of Wearmouth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did Ceolfrith allow the monks to choose as abbot for the monasteries at Jarrow and Wearmouth as he prepared to take a pilgrimage to Rome, according to Bede?
2. Who does Bede note that Benedict chose as abbot for the new monastery he built at Jarrow?
3. Besides orthodox practices in Roman Catholicism, what does Bede credit Benedict with bringing back to England from his several pilgrimages to Rome?
4. How far does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith got on his last pilgrimage to Rome?
5. Who did Bede record the monks at Wearmouth had chosen as the replacement for the abbot chosen by Benedict?
6. What was the first trip that Brendan and his 14 monks took after a series of thee-day fasts over 40 days according to the anonymous writer?
7. How did Ceolfrith's training under Abbot Botulf influence his life as a church leader, according to the anonymous author?
8. What did the bird tell Brendan was their punishment from God for their sin, according to the anonymous writer?
9. Who did Benedict chose as abbot for the monastery at Wearmouth, according to Bede?
10. Who does Bede claim endorsed the choice of the monks of Jarrow and Wearmouth?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)