|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Bede report provided the land for St. Peter's Monastery?
(a) King Dagobert.
(b) The Holy Synod.
(c) King Ecgfrith.
(d) King Egfrid.
2. Who had prophesied that Brendan would die upon his return to his monastery, according to the anonymous author?
(a) The young man on the Island of promise.
(b) A man with an aura of shining light.
(c) A hermit named Paul.
(d) Brendan's son.
3. How many total years does the anonymous author report that Ceolfrith ruled separately over the monasteries of St. Peter and St. Paul?
4. To what cause does Bede claim Benedict devoted himself after he traveled to Rome to visit the tombs of the Apostles?
(a) To training priestly aspirants to what is now known as the "Benedictine Order".
(b) To the interpretation and preaching of the Gospel.
(c) Making known the forms of church life he witnessed in Rome.
(d) To the translation and writing of scripture.
5. What does the anonymous author report appeared before the traveling party after it had finished singing on its way back to its boat?
(a) A table laid for a meal.
(b) A fire for their warmth.
(c) A guide for their direction.
(d) A castle for their protection.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the anonymous author record Brendan's traveling party landed on the island?
2. What did the anonymous writer record that Brendan claimed they reached as they walked toward the furthest shore of their landing?
3. What example does the anonymous author claim that Ceolfrith took from his brother Cynefrith?
4. What practice did Ceolfrith pass on to the monks who joined him in building the new monastery?
5. How long did Eosterwine serve as abbot over Wearmouth, according to Bede?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith accompanied Benedict on a trip to Rome?
2. How far does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith got on his last pilgrimage to Rome?
3. When an island sailed away from Brendan's party, how did God explain the event to Brendan, according to the anonymous writer?
4. Who does the anonymous writer claim served as Brendan's party's guide for finding food after they had run out the first time on their trip?
5. Why did Bede claim that Benedict passed on the land that King Oswiu awarded him as a thane of Oswiu's kingdom?
6. Who did Bede record the monks at Wearmouth had chosen as the replacement for the abbot chosen by Benedict?
7. In what practice did Ceolfrith train new monks and priests, according to the anonymous writer?
8. Besides orthodox practices in Roman Catholicism, what does Bede credit Benedict with bringing back to England from his several pilgrimages to Rome?
9. For what does the anonymous writer claim that Brendan was renowned?
10. What did the bird tell Brendan was their punishment from God for their sin, according to the anonymous writer?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)