|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did the person who met Brendan and his son claim they had been on the island without eating food or drink or taking any sleep?
(a) For a whole year.
(b) 40 days.
(c) 7 days
(d) 3 days.
2. Why did Brendan chastise his fellow travelers for putting their flasks into streams running from the island to quench their thirst, according to the anonymous writer?
(a) Because he had seen corpses on the bank.
(b) Because he had a dream that demons had led them to a poisoned stream.
(c) Because it was clear that they had come upon a stagnant lake.
(d) Because God had not shown them a way to land on the Island.
3. What does Bede record to be Benedict's orders regarding the books he had brought back from his several trips to Rome?
(a) That they be offered to the Bishop so he could consider the best use of collection.
(b) That copied and spread throughout the monasteries of England.
(c) That they be returned to Rome and the collection from which they were borrowed.
(d) That they be kept as a single collection and not broken up piecemeal.
4. How many monks did the anonymous author report Ceolfrith left behind at his monasteries?
5. What unique collection does Bede write that Benedict brought to England from his fifth trip to Rome?
(a) A collection of paintings of the life of Christ.
(b) A collection of sheet music on which to focus chants.
(c) Stained glass windows from France.
(d) A collection of original copies of manuscripts of the Bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the anonymous author record Brendan's traveling party landed on the island?
2. From whom did Bede claim Benedict bought the unique collection during his fifth trip to Rome?
3. What does the anonymous author report Brendan's traveling party found during the walks around the island?
4. After the death of Benedict, how many years does the anonymous author credit Ceolfrith with presiding over both monasteries simultaneously?
5. What illness does Bede report came to Benedict shortly after Sigfrith became abbot of Wearmouth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the abbot at Wearmouth die while Benedict was on a pilgrimage to Rome according to Bede?
2. Who does Bede note that Benedict chose as abbot for the new monastery he built at Jarrow?
3. Besides orthodox practices in Roman Catholicism, what does Bede credit Benedict with bringing back to England from his several pilgrimages to Rome?
4. Why does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith accompanied Benedict on a trip to Rome?
5. What did the bird tell Brendan was their punishment from God for their sin, according to the anonymous writer?
6. What challenge does the anonymous writer report came to Ceolfrith and Benedict after the plague claimed the lives of many monks and Abbot Eosterwine while they were on a pilgrimage to Rome?
7. Who does the anonymous author claim chose Ceolfrith to become a priest?
8. For what does the anonymous writer claim that Brendan was renowned?
9. For what cause did the anonymous writer report that Brendan selected 14 monks?
10. Where did Benedict learn his practice of Christianity, according to Bede?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)