|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the anonymous author report Ceolfrith was buried?
(a) In a secluded wood as he favored his time spent as a hermit.
(b) In the new abbey at Jarrow.
(c) In Wearmouth next to the tomb of Benedict.
(d) In the church of the holy martyred brothers Speusippus, Eleusippus, and Meleusippus.
2. Who does the anonymous author claim presided over the monastery before Ceolfrith joined it?
(a) Ceolfrith's brother, Cynefrith.
(b) Ceolfrith's cousin, Tunbert.
(c) Abbot Botulf.
(d) Bishop Wilford.
3. What condition does Bede write affected Sigfrith during his service as abbot?
(b) A curved spine.
(c) A lame leg.
(d) A painful and incurable disease of the lungs.
4. What did the anonymous writer record that Brendan claimed they reached as they walked toward the furthest shore of their landing?
(a) A river that ran from east to west.
(b) A dog that led them to their provisions.
(c) A man with an aura of shining light.
(d) The Pearl of Great Price.
5. Who does the anonymous writer record God sent to be the guide of Brendan's traveling party after they landed on the island?
(a) A hermit named Paul.
(b) A boy with a basket of bread.
(c) A dog.
(d) A man with an aura of shining light.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whose honor was the monastery that Ceolfrith helped to build dedicated, according to the anonymous author?
2. What quote does the anonymous author of Ceolfrith's history use to advise readers of his work?
3. Who returned a letter of thanks for the gift the monks delivered to Rome according to the anonymous author?
4. From what royal family does Bede claim Benedict descended?
5. What does the anonymous author report appeared before the traveling party after it had finished singing on its way back to its boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What manual trade does Bede report Benedict brought to England during construction of the monastery at the north bank at the mouth of the Wear River?
2. Who does Bede note that Benedict chose as abbot for the new monastery he built at Jarrow?
3. Who provided the land for which a church and monastery could be built by Ceolfrith and Benedict according to the anonymous writer?
4. Why did Bede claim that Benedict passed on the land that King Oswiu awarded him as a thane of Oswiu's kingdom?
5. How far does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith got on his last pilgrimage to Rome?
6. In what practice did Ceolfrith train new monks and priests, according to the anonymous writer?
7. Who did Benedict chose as abbot for the monastery at Wearmouth, according to Bede?
8. What did a bird tell Brendan that his flock actually was, according to the anonymous writer?
9. How did Ceolfrith's training under Abbot Botulf influence his life as a church leader, according to the anonymous author?
10. What challenge does the anonymous writer report came to Ceolfrith and Benedict after the plague claimed the lives of many monks and Abbot Eosterwine while they were on a pilgrimage to Rome?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)