|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What unique collection does Bede write that Benedict brought to England from his fifth trip to Rome?
(a) A collection of sheet music on which to focus chants.
(b) A collection of paintings of the life of Christ.
(c) Stained glass windows from France.
(d) A collection of original copies of manuscripts of the Bible.
2. What monastery construction on the north bank of Wear was funded by Benedict, according to Bede?
(a) St. Peter's Monastery.
3. Who donated the land for Benedict to build a monastery in Northumbria, according to Bede?
(a) King Dagobert.
(b) King Ecgfrith.
(c) The Holy Synod.
(d) King Egfrid.
4. Who does Bede write about as the abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow?
(a) Ceolfrith, Eosterwine, Cuthbert, and Colman.
(b) Benedict, Ceolfrith, Eosterwine, Sigfrith, and Hwaetberht.
(c) Benedict, Cuthbert, Wilfrid, and Brendan.
(d) Benedict, Ceolfrith, Ahlfrid, and Ecgfrith.
5. When does the anonymous author record Brendan's traveling party landed on the island?
(a) Easter Sunday.
(b) Christmas day.
(c) Good Friday.
(d) Maundy Thursday.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was chosen by the monks to serve as abbot in Ceolfrith's absence, according to the anonymous author?
2. Who met Brendan and his son during their journey?
3. How long did Eosterwine serve as abbot over Wearmouth, according to Bede?
4. What did the anonymous author report that Brendan said a rocky island that had no sand on its beach actually was?
5. How many total years does the anonymous author report that Ceolfrith ruled separately over the monasteries of St. Peter and St. Paul?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did a bird tell Brendan that his flock actually was, according to the anonymous writer?
2. What was the first trip that Brendan and his 14 monks took after a series of thee-day fasts over 40 days according to the anonymous writer?
3. When Benedict and Sigrith were confined to their beds due to illness, what responsibility does the anonymous writer report Benedict passed to Ceolfrith?
4. Besides orthodox practices in Roman Catholicism, what does Bede credit Benedict with bringing back to England from his several pilgrimages to Rome?
5. Who provided the land for which a church and monastery could be built by Ceolfrith and Benedict according to the anonymous writer?
6. Who does Bede claim endorsed the choice of the monks of Jarrow and Wearmouth?
7. How far does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith got on his last pilgrimage to Rome?
8. What action does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith took when he decided he was too old to be a good example to his followers?
9. How did the abbot at Wearmouth die while Benedict was on a pilgrimage to Rome according to Bede?
10. Why does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith accompanied Benedict on a trip to Rome?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)