|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bede record to be Benedict's orders regarding the books he had brought back from his several trips to Rome?
(a) That they be offered to the Bishop so he could consider the best use of collection.
(b) That copied and spread throughout the monasteries of England.
(c) That they be returned to Rome and the collection from which they were borrowed.
(d) That they be kept as a single collection and not broken up piecemeal.
2. In what book from the Bible does Bede claim Benedict took comfort during nights he could not sleep during his illness?
3. What was Benedict's council to those who visited him while he suffered his illness, according to Bede?
(a) That they study scripture regularly.
(b) That they guard the monasteries at Wearmouth and Jarrow.
(c) That they devote themselves to fasting and prayer.
(d) That the ordinances he passed to them were not of his creation.
4. What did Bede report Benedict brought back to Britain after his third trip to Rome?
(a) A large number of books on all branches of sacred knowledge.
(b) Icons from the tombs of saints to aid in the performance of miracles.
(c) Scholars who were trained in the interpretation of Scripture.
(d) A cantor named John who introduced the order of chanting and singing the Psalms to Britain.
5. Who does the anonymous author claim presided over the monastery before Ceolfrith joined it?
(a) Ceolfrith's cousin, Tunbert.
(b) Ceolfrith's brother, Cynefrith.
(c) Abbot Botulf.
(d) Bishop Wilford.
Short Answer Questions
1. What custom arose from the burial of Ceolfrith?
2. Who does the anonymous author claim provided Brendan's traveling party with food as it left this island?
3. Why does the anonymous author claim that King Egfrith donated the resources for building another church and monastery?
4. How many total years does the anonymous author report that Ceolfrith ruled separately over the monasteries of St. Peter and St. Paul?
5. How many monks did the anonymous author report Ceolfrith took with him to complete the new construction that King Egfrith sponsored?
Short Essay Questions
1. What challenge does the anonymous writer report came to Ceolfrith and Benedict after the plague claimed the lives of many monks and Abbot Eosterwine while they were on a pilgrimage to Rome?
2. For what cause did the anonymous writer report that Brendan selected 14 monks?
3. Who does the anonymous writer claim served as Brendan's party's guide for finding food after they had run out the first time on their trip?
4. Who does the anonymous author claim chose Ceolfrith to become a priest?
5. What did a bird tell Brendan that his flock actually was, according to the anonymous writer?
6. Who does Bede claim endorsed the choice of the monks of Jarrow and Wearmouth?
7. How far does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith got on his last pilgrimage to Rome?
8. What did the anonymous writer report to be surrounding Judas Iscariot when Brendan's party came upon him?
9. What manual trade does Bede report Benedict brought to England during construction of the monastery at the north bank at the mouth of the Wear River?
10. In what practice did Ceolfrith train new monks and priests, according to the anonymous writer?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)