|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what abbey does Bede report Benedict named Eosterwine?
2. Who donated the land for Benedict to build a monastery in Northumbria, according to Bede?
(a) King Ecgfrith.
(b) King Dagobert.
(c) The Holy Synod.
(d) King Egfrid.
3. How did a dignified old man communicate to Brendan's party while observing a vow of silence, according to the anonymous author?
(a) Through angels who kept a close vigil with him.
(b) Through birds who knew his thoughts.
(c) Through sending this thoughts directly to Brendan's mind.
(d) Through hand gestures.
4. Who confirmed the choice of Ceolfrith's replacement, according to Bede?
(d) Bishop Acca.
5. Who does the anonymous writer record God sent to be the guide of Brendan's traveling party after they landed on the island?
(a) A boy with a basket of bread.
(b) A hermit named Paul.
(c) A dog.
(d) A man with an aura of shining light.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what book from the Bible does Bede claim Benedict took comfort during nights he could not sleep during his illness?
2. What was Brendan's warning as they left the island?
3. What was the method that Bede writes Ceolfrith chose for a new abbot to be chosen to replace him?
4. From what royal family does Bede claim Benedict descended?
5. To where does the anonymous writer claim that Brendan traveled after he took a series of three day fasts that lasted 40 days?
Short Essay Questions
1. Besides orthodox practices in Roman Catholicism, what does Bede credit Benedict with bringing back to England from his several pilgrimages to Rome?
2. Who did Bede record the monks at Wearmouth had chosen as the replacement for the abbot chosen by Benedict?
3. Who does Bede note that Benedict chose as abbot for the new monastery he built at Jarrow?
4. What action does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith took when he decided he was too old to be a good example to his followers?
5. When an island sailed away from Brendan's party, how did God explain the event to Brendan, according to the anonymous writer?
6. What did a bird tell Brendan that his flock actually was, according to the anonymous writer?
7. How did a hermit named Paul claim he received his food while he was on a journey to his final resting place, according to the anonymous writer?
8. How far does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith got on his last pilgrimage to Rome?
9. Who provided the land for which a church and monastery could be built by Ceolfrith and Benedict according to the anonymous writer?
10. How did the abbot at Wearmouth die while Benedict was on a pilgrimage to Rome according to Bede?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)