|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What example does the anonymous author claim that Ceolfrith took from his brother Cynefrith?
(a) Holding the monks under his authority to high moral standards.
(b) Leaving the care of his monastery to younger men to go on a pilgrimage to Rome in his later years.
(c) Establishing a work schedule that required all monks spend time copying Bibles.
(d) Requiring all duties to be done before meals were to be shared.
2. Who did Bede report Benedict appointed as abbot over the foundation he started?
3. What did the anonymous writer record that Brendan claimed they reached as they walked toward the furthest shore of their landing?
(a) A river that ran from east to west.
(b) A man with an aura of shining light.
(c) A dog that led them to their provisions.
(d) The Pearl of Great Price.
4. Who does Bede report provided the land for St. Peter's Monastery?
(a) The Holy Synod.
(b) King Ecgfrith.
(c) King Egfrid.
(d) King Dagobert.
5. What does the anonymous author report appeared before the traveling party after it had finished singing on its way back to its boat?
(a) A castle for their protection.
(b) A table laid for a meal.
(c) A fire for their warmth.
(d) A guide for their direction.
Short Answer Questions
1. What foundation does Bede credit Benedict with beginning?
2. Whose death was Ceolfrith compared in the letter from Rome?
3. What did the anonymous author report occurred to Ceolfrith on the day he reached Langres on September 25?
4. What apostle and New Testament book does the anonymous author on the history of Ceolfrith cite as his inspiration for writing the book.
5. How did a dignified old man communicate to Brendan's party while observing a vow of silence, according to the anonymous author?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the first trip that Brendan and his 14 monks took after a series of thee-day fasts over 40 days according to the anonymous writer?
2. Who does the anonymous author claim chose Ceolfrith to become a priest?
3. When Benedict and Sigrith were confined to their beds due to illness, what responsibility does the anonymous writer report Benedict passed to Ceolfrith?
4. What did the bird tell Brendan was their punishment from God for their sin, according to the anonymous writer?
5. When an island sailed away from Brendan's party, how did God explain the event to Brendan, according to the anonymous writer?
6. What challenge does the anonymous writer report came to Ceolfrith and Benedict after the plague claimed the lives of many monks and Abbot Eosterwine while they were on a pilgrimage to Rome?
7. Why did Bede claim that Benedict passed on the land that King Oswiu awarded him as a thane of Oswiu's kingdom?
8. How far does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith got on his last pilgrimage to Rome?
9. For what does the anonymous writer claim that Brendan was renowned?
10. Who did Benedict chose as abbot for the monastery at Wearmouth, according to Bede?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)