|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To where had Bredan's son fled to live the life of a hermit with other monks, according to the story recorded by the anonymous author?
(a) The Land of Promise of the Saints.
(b) The Island of Delights.
(c) The Meadow of Miracles.
(d) The Valley of Virtue.
2. To what cause does Bede claim Benedict devoted himself after he traveled to Rome to visit the tombs of the Apostles?
(a) To training priestly aspirants to what is now known as the "Benedictine Order".
(b) To the translation and writing of scripture.
(c) To the interpretation and preaching of the Gospel.
(d) Making known the forms of church life he witnessed in Rome.
3. From whom did Bede claim Benedict bought the unique collection during his fifth trip to Rome?
(a) Pope Agatho.
(b) From King Aldfrid.
(c) King Ecgfrith.
(d) King Egfrid.
4. What form did fallen angels take on Brendan's journey, according to the anonymous author?
(d) Old men.
5. Where does the anonymous author report Ceolfrith was buried?
(a) In Wearmouth next to the tomb of Benedict.
(b) In a secluded wood as he favored his time spent as a hermit.
(c) In the new abbey at Jarrow.
(d) In the church of the holy martyred brothers Speusippus, Eleusippus, and Meleusippus.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Benedict's council to those who visited him while he suffered his illness, according to Bede?
2. Who did Bede report was chosen to replace Ceolfrith?
3. From what royal family does Bede claim Benedict descended?
4. How often did the traveling party eat on the journey away from the island?
5. What quote does the anonymous author of Ceolfrith's history use to advise readers of his work?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)