|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the guide brought them to a vast hall with couches and water to wash their feet, what does the anonymous writer report that Brendan said?
(a) "Do not let your desire for the physical overcome your need for the Holy . . ."
(b) "Thank God from whom all good things flow . . ."
(c) "God has provided for our needs . . ."
(d) "Be on your guard, brethren, lest Satan lead you into temptation . . ."
2. What illness does Bede report came to Benedict shortly after Sigfrith became abbot of Wearmouth?
(b) The plague.
(c) He was taken by consumption.
(d) He suffered creeping paralysis.
3. To whom was the letter addressed?
4. How many monks did the anonymous author report Ceolfrith left behind at his monasteries?
5. Who returned a letter of thanks for the gift the monks delivered to Rome according to the anonymous author?
(a) Archdeacon Boniface.
(b) Pope Agatho.
(c) Pope Gregory.
(d) Archbishop Berhtwald.
Short Answer Questions
1. What practice did Ceolfrith pass on to the monks who joined him in building the new monastery?
2. What condition does Bede write affected Sigfrith during his service as abbot?
3. Who does Bede report provided the land for St. Peter's Monastery?
4. What does Bede trace as Eosterwine's relationship to Benedict?
5. What foundation does Bede credit Benedict with beginning?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)