|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Eosterwine during Benedict's fifth journey to Rome, according to Bede?
(a) The pope beckoned Eosterwine to Rome.
(b) Eosterwine became abbot of Jarrow.
(c) Eostewine and a number of monks died from the plague.
(d) Eosterwine starved during a siege of Wearmouth.
2. What custom arose from the burial of Ceolfrith?
(a) Having a celebration with friends which eventually became known as a wake.
(b) Praying the Psalms prior to kneeling at Ceolfrith's tomb.
(c) Placing flowers on a grave.
(d) Wearing black for mourning.
3. At what age does the anonymous author of Ceolfrith's history claim he became a monk?
4. What did some of the monks who buried Ceolfrith take to Rome on his behalf, according to the anonymous author?
(a) A letter to the pope requesting more books of learning for the church.
(b) Icons of Ceolfrith to be kept with other holy icons.
(c) A Bible translated from Hebrew and Greek originals according to the interpretation of Priest Jerome.
(d) A painting of Ceolfrith made just prior to his death.
5. To whose honor was the monastery that Ceolfrith helped to build dedicated, according to the anonymous author?
(a) St. Paul the Apostle.
(b) St. Luke the Physician.
(c) St. Peter the Apostle.
(d) St. John the Apostel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the anonymous author claim provided Brendan's traveling party with food as it left this island?
2. What monastery construction on the north bank of Wear was funded by Benedict, according to Bede?
3. How long did Eosterwine serve as abbot over Wearmouth, according to Bede?
4. What foundation does Bede credit Benedict with beginning?
5. What does Bede record to be Benedict's orders regarding the books he had brought back from his several trips to Rome?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)