|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many monks did the anonymous author report Ceolfrith left behind at his monasteries?
2. Who was named to rule the monastery shortly before Ceolfrith joined it, according to the anonymous author?
(a) Abbot Botulf.
(b) Bishop Wilford.
(c) Ceolfrith's cousin, Tunbert.
(d) Ceolfrith's brother, Cynefrith.
3. What decision does Bede report Benedict made while Benedict and Sigfrith were on their deathbeds?
(a) Benedict ordered the collection of books he brought from Rome back to where they came.
(b) Benedict chose Hwaetbehrt as abbot over Jarrow.
(c) Benedict named Ceolfrith abbot over both Wearmouth and Jarrow.
(d) Benedict chose Eosterwine as abbot over Wearmouth.
4. What foundation does Bede credit Benedict with beginning?
5. At what age does the anonymous author of Ceolfrith's history claim he became a monk?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Eosterwine during Benedict's fifth journey to Rome, according to Bede?
2. How were Benedict and Sigfrith able to meet with each other shortly before they died from their illnesses, according to Bede?
3. What monastery construction on the north bank of Wear was funded by Benedict, according to Bede?
4. Who does the anonymous author credit with providing master builders for the monastery that Ceolfrith helped to build?
5. Who does the anonymous author claim provided Brendan's traveling party with food as it left this island?
Short Essay Questions
1. How far does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith got on his last pilgrimage to Rome?
2. How did a hermit named Paul claim he received his food while he was on a journey to his final resting place, according to the anonymous writer?
3. Besides orthodox practices in Roman Catholicism, what does Bede credit Benedict with bringing back to England from his several pilgrimages to Rome?
4. When an island sailed away from Brendan's party, how did God explain the event to Brendan, according to the anonymous writer?
5. Who did Bede record the monks at Wearmouth had chosen as the replacement for the abbot chosen by Benedict?
6. What manual trade does Bede report Benedict brought to England during construction of the monastery at the north bank at the mouth of the Wear River?
7. Who does Bede claim endorsed the choice of the monks of Jarrow and Wearmouth?
8. Who does the anonymous writer claim served as Brendan's party's guide for finding food after they had run out the first time on their trip?
9. Why does the anonymous writer of "The History of Abbot Ceolfrith" claim he wrote the book?
10. What was the first trip that Brendan and his 14 monks took after a series of thee-day fasts over 40 days according to the anonymous writer?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)