|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the anonymous author credit with providing master builders for the monastery that Ceolfrith helped to build?
(a) Abbot Botulf.
(b) Abbot Torthelm.
(c) Bishop Wilford.
2. What practice did Ceolfrith pass on to the monks who joined him in building the new monastery?
(a) Singing the Psalms, reading in church, and singing antiphons.
(b) Copying Bibles, interpreting scripture, and singing the Psalms.
(c) Copying Bibles and fasting on Fridays.
(d) Interpreting scripture and rheotoric.
3. What unique collection does Bede write that Benedict brought to England from his fifth trip to Rome?
(a) A collection of paintings of the life of Christ.
(b) A collection of sheet music on which to focus chants.
(c) A collection of original copies of manuscripts of the Bible.
(d) Stained glass windows from France.
4. What example does the anonymous author claim that Ceolfrith took from his brother Cynefrith?
(a) Leaving the care of his monastery to younger men to go on a pilgrimage to Rome in his later years.
(b) Holding the monks under his authority to high moral standards.
(c) Establishing a work schedule that required all monks spend time copying Bibles.
(d) Requiring all duties to be done before meals were to be shared.
5. Why did Brendan chastise his fellow travelers for putting their flasks into streams running from the island to quench their thirst, according to the anonymous writer?
(a) Because he had seen corpses on the bank.
(b) Because God had not shown them a way to land on the Island.
(c) Because it was clear that they had come upon a stagnant lake.
(d) Because he had a dream that demons had led them to a poisoned stream.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who returned a letter of thanks for the gift the monks delivered to Rome according to the anonymous author?
2. What happened to Eosterwine during Benedict's fifth journey to Rome, according to Bede?
3. Who confirmed the choice of Ceolfrith's replacement, according to Bede?
4. How long does the Anonymous writer claim Brendan and his party traveled before they ran out of food after they left the destination to which they traveled after the 40 days of fasting?
5. What does Bede report came of King Egfrid during Benedict's journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Besides orthodox practices in Roman Catholicism, what does Bede credit Benedict with bringing back to England from his several pilgrimages to Rome?
2. What action does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith took when he decided he was too old to be a good example to his followers?
3. When an island sailed away from Brendan's party, how did God explain the event to Brendan, according to the anonymous writer?
4. Why does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith accompanied Benedict on a trip to Rome?
5. What challenge does the anonymous writer report came to Ceolfrith and Benedict after the plague claimed the lives of many monks and Abbot Eosterwine while they were on a pilgrimage to Rome?
6. Who provided the land for which a church and monastery could be built by Ceolfrith and Benedict according to the anonymous writer?
7. For what does the anonymous writer claim that Brendan was renowned?
8. What was the first trip that Brendan and his 14 monks took after a series of thee-day fasts over 40 days according to the anonymous writer?
9. What did the bird tell Brendan was their punishment from God for their sin, according to the anonymous writer?
10. Who does the anonymous author claim chose Ceolfrith to become a priest?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)