|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whose honor was the monastery that Ceolfrith helped to build dedicated, according to the anonymous author?
(a) St. John the Apostel.
(b) St. Luke the Physician.
(c) St. Peter the Apostle.
(d) St. Paul the Apostle.
2. What custom arose from the burial of Ceolfrith?
(a) Placing flowers on a grave.
(b) Praying the Psalms prior to kneeling at Ceolfrith's tomb.
(c) Having a celebration with friends which eventually became known as a wake.
(d) Wearing black for mourning.
3. How many monks did the anonymous author report Ceolfrith left behind at his monasteries?
4. What did the anonymous author infer to be Ceolfrith's method of avoiding the plague that took the lives of many monks?
(a) He had secluded himself as a hermit before the plague hit his region.
(b) He was fastidious in keeping his residence clean and observed Jewish cleaning laws.
(c) He had secluded himself for a season of prayer.
(d) He was delayed in Rome finding supplies for the new monastery.
5. Where does the anonymous author report Ceolfrith was buried?
(a) In a secluded wood as he favored his time spent as a hermit.
(b) In the church of the holy martyred brothers Speusippus, Eleusippus, and Meleusippus.
(c) In Wearmouth next to the tomb of Benedict.
(d) In the new abbey at Jarrow.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story the anonymous writer recorded Brendan told, what did Brendan say his son's name was?
2. Who welcomed Ceolfrith in Gaul, according to the anonymous author?
3. After his fourth trip to Rome, what does Bede report that Benedict brought back to Britain?
4. What decision does Bede report Benedict made while Benedict and Sigfrith were on their deathbeds?
5. Upon their second meeting of the creatures who were fallen angels, what was announced to Brendan and his party, according to the anonymous author?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Benedict learn his practice of Christianity, according to Bede?
2. Who did Benedict chose as abbot for the monastery at Wearmouth, according to Bede?
3. Besides orthodox practices in Roman Catholicism, what does Bede credit Benedict with bringing back to England from his several pilgrimages to Rome?
4. In what practice did Ceolfrith train new monks and priests, according to the anonymous writer?
5. What did the bird tell Brendan was their punishment from God for their sin, according to the anonymous writer?
6. Who does the anonymous author claim chose Ceolfrith to become a priest?
7. Why did Bede claim that Benedict passed on the land that King Oswiu awarded him as a thane of Oswiu's kingdom?
8. How did the abbot at Wearmouth die while Benedict was on a pilgrimage to Rome according to Bede?
9. How far does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith got on his last pilgrimage to Rome?
10. How did a hermit named Paul claim he received his food while he was on a journey to his final resting place, according to the anonymous writer?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)