|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did a dignified old man communicate to Brendan's party while observing a vow of silence, according to the anonymous author?
(a) Through hand gestures.
(b) Through birds who knew his thoughts.
(c) Through sending this thoughts directly to Brendan's mind.
(d) Through angels who kept a close vigil with him.
2. How did Brendan's traveling party arrive at the next island?
(a) They were carried by angels after winds had died.
(b) A fair wind sprang up and saved them from being overtaxed by the effort of rowing.
(c) They rowed vigorously for 40 days.
(d) They were carried on the back of a whale.
3. How long did Eosterwine serve as abbot over Wearmouth, according to Bede?
(a) Four years until his death.
(b) Seven years until the pope beckoned him to Rome.
(c) 17 years until his death.
(d) 12 years until he became abbot over Jarrow.
4. How long does the Anonymous writer claim Brendan and his party traveled before they ran out of food after they left the destination to which they traveled after the 40 days of fasting?
(a) For a whole year.
(b) 3 days.
(c) 40 days.
(d) 7 days.
5. What did the anonymous writer record that Brendan claimed they reached as they walked toward the furthest shore of their landing?
(a) A dog that led them to their provisions.
(b) The Pearl of Great Price.
(c) A man with an aura of shining light.
(d) A river that ran from east to west.
Short Answer Questions
1. To where did Brendan's son invite him to travel, according to the anonymous writer?
2. What did the anonymous author infer to be Ceolfrith's method of avoiding the plague that took the lives of many monks?
3. What condition does Bede write affected Sigfrith during his service as abbot?
4. What illness does Bede report came to Benedict shortly after Sigfrith became abbot of Wearmouth?
5. What was Brendan's warning as they left the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What manual trade does Bede report Benedict brought to England during construction of the monastery at the north bank at the mouth of the Wear River?
2. What did a bird tell Brendan that his flock actually was, according to the anonymous writer?
3. How did a hermit named Paul claim he received his food while he was on a journey to his final resting place, according to the anonymous writer?
4. Besides orthodox practices in Roman Catholicism, what does Bede credit Benedict with bringing back to England from his several pilgrimages to Rome?
5. How long were Brendan and his party out to sea before they ran out of food after they departed their first destination, according to the anonymous writer?
6. Why does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith accompanied Benedict on a trip to Rome?
7. When Benedict and Sigrith were confined to their beds due to illness, what responsibility does the anonymous writer report Benedict passed to Ceolfrith?
8. Who provided the land for which a church and monastery could be built by Ceolfrith and Benedict according to the anonymous writer?
9. When an island sailed away from Brendan's party, how did God explain the event to Brendan, according to the anonymous writer?
10. Who does Bede note that Benedict chose as abbot for the new monastery he built at Jarrow?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)