|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Upon their second meeting of the creatures who were fallen angels, what was announced to Brendan and his party, according to the anonymous author?
(a) God would take them safely home.
(b) Brendan and his party would come to what appeared to be a rocky island, but was not.
(c) Brendan and his party would spend a year at four different places that were to represent the four seasons of the year.
(d) Their voyage was nearly over.
2. On what date does the anonymous author report Ceolfrith boarded a ship to cross the sea to Gaul?
(a) August 12.
(b) July 14.
(c) July 4.
(d) June 4.
3. What practice did Ceolfrith pass on to the monks who joined him in building the new monastery?
(a) Copying Bibles and fasting on Fridays.
(b) Copying Bibles, interpreting scripture, and singing the Psalms.
(c) Singing the Psalms, reading in church, and singing antiphons.
(d) Interpreting scripture and rheotoric.
4. How long did Eosterwine serve as abbot over Wearmouth, according to Bede?
(a) Seven years until the pope beckoned him to Rome.
(b) 12 years until he became abbot over Jarrow.
(c) 17 years until his death.
(d) Four years until his death.
5. Who does the anonymous author claim provided Brendan's traveling party with food as it left this island?
(a) A dog.
(b) A hermit named Paul.
(c) A young man carrying a basket of bread.
(d) A man with an aura of shining light.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did some of the monks who buried Ceolfrith take to Rome on his behalf, according to the anonymous author?
2. To what abbey does Bede report Benedict named Eosterwine?
3. How often did the traveling party eat on the journey away from the island?
4. Who does Bede write about as the abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow?
5. What decision does Bede report Benedict made while Benedict and Sigfrith were on their deathbeds?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ceolfrith's training under Abbot Botulf influence his life as a church leader, according to the anonymous author?
2. What did the bird tell Brendan was their punishment from God for their sin, according to the anonymous writer?
3. When Benedict and Sigrith were confined to their beds due to illness, what responsibility does the anonymous writer report Benedict passed to Ceolfrith?
4. Who provided the land for which a church and monastery could be built by Ceolfrith and Benedict according to the anonymous writer?
5. When an island sailed away from Brendan's party, how did God explain the event to Brendan, according to the anonymous writer?
6. Why does the anonymous writer of "The History of Abbot Ceolfrith" claim he wrote the book?
7. How long were Brendan and his party out to sea before they ran out of food after they departed their first destination, according to the anonymous writer?
8. Who did Ceolfrith allow the monks to choose as abbot for the monasteries at Jarrow and Wearmouth as he prepared to take a pilgrimage to Rome, according to Bede?
9. Why did Bede claim that Benedict passed on the land that King Oswiu awarded him as a thane of Oswiu's kingdom?
10. What did a bird tell Brendan that his flock actually was, according to the anonymous writer?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)