|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many total years does the anonymous author report that Ceolfrith ruled separately over the monasteries of St. Peter and St. Paul?
2. What does the anonymous author report Brendan's traveling party found during the walks around the island?
(a) A table laid for a meal.
(b) Several flocks of sheep.
(c) The Pearl of Great Price.
(d) A hermit named Paul.
3. During their journey, what did they discover surrounded Judas Iscariot?
(a) Cold isolation.
(b) Flames of torment.
(c) A great number of demons.
(d) A scroll of condemnation.
4. How long does the Anonymous writer claim Brendan and his party traveled before they ran out of food after they left the destination to which they traveled after the 40 days of fasting?
(a) For a whole year.
(b) 7 days.
(c) 3 days.
(d) 40 days.
5. What does Bede record to be Benedict's orders regarding the books he had brought back from his several trips to Rome?
(a) That they be kept as a single collection and not broken up piecemeal.
(b) That they be returned to Rome and the collection from which they were borrowed.
(c) That they be offered to the Bishop so he could consider the best use of collection.
(d) That copied and spread throughout the monasteries of England.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story the anonymous writer recorded Brendan told, what did Brendan say his son's name was?
2. What did the anonymous writer record that Brendan claimed they reached as they walked toward the furthest shore of their landing?
3. Who does the anonymous author claim presided over the monastery before Ceolfrith joined it?
4. What illness does Bede report came to Benedict shortly after Sigfrith became abbot of Wearmouth?
5. To where did Brendan's son invite him to travel, according to the anonymous writer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How far does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith got on his last pilgrimage to Rome?
2. Who does the anonymous writer claim served as Brendan's party's guide for finding food after they had run out the first time on their trip?
3. For what does the anonymous writer claim that Brendan was renowned?
4. How did Ceolfrith's training under Abbot Botulf influence his life as a church leader, according to the anonymous author?
5. Who does Bede claim endorsed the choice of the monks of Jarrow and Wearmouth?
6. Besides orthodox practices in Roman Catholicism, what does Bede credit Benedict with bringing back to England from his several pilgrimages to Rome?
7. Why does the anonymous writer of "The History of Abbot Ceolfrith" claim he wrote the book?
8. Why did Bede claim that Benedict passed on the land that King Oswiu awarded him as a thane of Oswiu's kingdom?
9. What action does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith took when he decided he was too old to be a good example to his followers?
10. What challenge does the anonymous writer report came to Ceolfrith and Benedict after the plague claimed the lives of many monks and Abbot Eosterwine while they were on a pilgrimage to Rome?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)