|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bede record to be Benedict's orders regarding the books he had brought back from his several trips to Rome?
(a) That they be offered to the Bishop so he could consider the best use of collection.
(b) That they be returned to Rome and the collection from which they were borrowed.
(c) That they be kept as a single collection and not broken up piecemeal.
(d) That copied and spread throughout the monasteries of England.
2. Who does Bede report provided the land for St. Peter's Monastery?
(a) The Holy Synod.
(b) King Ecgfrith.
(c) King Dagobert.
(d) King Egfrid.
3. How did Brendan's traveling party arrive at the next island?
(a) A fair wind sprang up and saved them from being overtaxed by the effort of rowing.
(b) They were carried by angels after winds had died.
(c) They rowed vigorously for 40 days.
(d) They were carried on the back of a whale.
4. Who was chosen by the monks to serve as abbot in Ceolfrith's absence, according to the anonymous author?
(d) Abbot Botulf.
5. What was announced to Brendan's party would come after seven years from the announcement by the fallen angels, according to the anonymous author?
(a) They would finally take possession of the Pearl of Great Price.
(b) God would take them to Paradise.
(c) They would find themselves right back where they started.
(d) The party would find the Land of Promise of the Saints.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Bede report Benedict appointed as abbot over the foundation he started?
2. How did a dignified old man communicate to Brendan's party while observing a vow of silence, according to the anonymous author?
3. Who does Bede write about as the abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow?
4. How many total years does the anonymous author report that Ceolfrith ruled separately over the monasteries of St. Peter and St. Paul?
5. What unique collection does Bede write that Benedict brought to England from his fifth trip to Rome?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)