|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Brendan chastise his fellow travelers for putting their flasks into streams running from the island to quench their thirst, according to the anonymous writer?
(a) Because God had not shown them a way to land on the Island.
(b) Because it was clear that they had come upon a stagnant lake.
(c) Because he had seen corpses on the bank.
(d) Because he had a dream that demons had led them to a poisoned stream.
2. Who was chosen by the monks to serve as abbot in Ceolfrith's absence, according to the anonymous author?
(d) Abbot Botulf.
3. How does the anonymous author claim Brendan's party finally arrived to the island they had been seeking?
(a) They were carried by angels after winds had died.
(b) A fair wind sprang up and saved them from being overtaxed by the effort of rowing.
(c) They rowed vigorously for 40 days.
(d) By riding on the back of a whale.
4. What illness does Bede report came to Benedict shortly after Sigfrith became abbot of Wearmouth?
(a) He was taken by consumption.
(b) He suffered creeping paralysis.
(c) The plague.
5. What monastery construction on the north bank of Wear was funded by Benedict, according to Bede?
(a) St. Peter's Monastery.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the Anonymous writer claim Brendan and his party traveled before they ran out of food after they left the destination to which they traveled after the 40 days of fasting?
2. In the story the anonymous writer recorded Brendan told, what did Brendan say his son's name was?
3. What does the anonymous writer claim came into view after the ship ran out of food?
4. To where does the anonymous writer claim that Brendan traveled after he took a series of three day fasts that lasted 40 days?
5. To whose honor was the monastery that Ceolfrith helped to build dedicated, according to the anonymous author?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the anonymous writer report to be surrounding Judas Iscariot when Brendan's party came upon him?
2. Who does the anonymous author claim chose Ceolfrith to become a priest?
3. Besides orthodox practices in Roman Catholicism, what does Bede credit Benedict with bringing back to England from his several pilgrimages to Rome?
4. For what cause did the anonymous writer report that Brendan selected 14 monks?
5. Who did Benedict chose as abbot for the monastery at Wearmouth, according to Bede?
6. When Benedict and Sigrith were confined to their beds due to illness, what responsibility does the anonymous writer report Benedict passed to Ceolfrith?
7. What action does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith took when he decided he was too old to be a good example to his followers?
8. Why did Bede claim that Benedict passed on the land that King Oswiu awarded him as a thane of Oswiu's kingdom?
9. In what practice did Ceolfrith train new monks and priests, according to the anonymous writer?
10. What was the first trip that Brendan and his 14 monks took after a series of thee-day fasts over 40 days according to the anonymous writer?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)