|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did Ceolfrith preside over the responsibilities appointed to him by Benedict?
(a) 16 years.
(b) 7 years.
(c) 3 years.
(d) 28 years.
2. What did the anonymous author report that Brendan said a rocky island that had no sand on its beach actually was?
(a) The Turtle of Truth.
(b) A trick played on them by demons.
(c) The back of Satan.
(d) The greatest of all creatures that swim, called Jasconius.
3. What does the anonymous author report Brendan's traveling party found during the walks around the island?
(a) A hermit named Paul.
(b) Several flocks of sheep.
(c) The Pearl of Great Price.
(d) A table laid for a meal.
4. How often did the traveling party eat on the journey away from the island?
(a) Every three days.
(b) Every two days.
(c) Three times a day.
(d) Two times a day.
5. To where did Brendan's son invite him to travel, according to the anonymous writer?
(a) To the Island of Delights.
(b) To the Land of Promise of the Saints.
(c) To the Valley of Virtue.
(d) To the Meadow of Miracles.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many total years does the anonymous author report that Ceolfrith ruled separately over the monasteries of St. Peter and St. Paul?
2. Why did Brendan chastise his fellow travelers for putting their flasks into streams running from the island to quench their thirst, according to the anonymous writer?
3. What was Brendan's warning as they left the island?
4. How did Brendan's traveling party arrive at the next island?
5. What unique collection does Bede write that Benedict brought to England from his fifth trip to Rome?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did a bird tell Brendan that his flock actually was, according to the anonymous writer?
2. How did Ceolfrith's training under Abbot Botulf influence his life as a church leader, according to the anonymous author?
3. For what cause did the anonymous writer report that Brendan selected 14 monks?
4. What challenge does the anonymous writer report came to Ceolfrith and Benedict after the plague claimed the lives of many monks and Abbot Eosterwine while they were on a pilgrimage to Rome?
5. How far does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith got on his last pilgrimage to Rome?
6. When Benedict and Sigrith were confined to their beds due to illness, what responsibility does the anonymous writer report Benedict passed to Ceolfrith?
7. When an island sailed away from Brendan's party, how did God explain the event to Brendan, according to the anonymous writer?
8. Why did Bede claim that Benedict passed on the land that King Oswiu awarded him as a thane of Oswiu's kingdom?
9. In what practice did Ceolfrith train new monks and priests, according to the anonymous writer?
10. Who does Bede note that Benedict chose as abbot for the new monastery he built at Jarrow?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)