|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Bede report Benedict appointed as abbot over the foundation he started?
2. What was Benedict's council to those who visited him while he suffered his illness, according to Bede?
(a) That the ordinances he passed to them were not of his creation.
(b) That they devote themselves to fasting and prayer.
(c) That they guard the monasteries at Wearmouth and Jarrow.
(d) That they study scripture regularly.
3. What was Brendan's warning as they left the island?
(a) "Be on your guard, brethren, lest Satan lead you into temptation."
(b) "Keep watch for rocks that will destroy our ship."
(c) "Do not let your desire for the physical overcome your need for the Holy."
(d) "Take care, brethren, not to take anything with you from this island."
4. Why does the anonymous author claim that King Egfrith donated the resources for building another church and monastery?
(a) To show appreciation to Ceolfrith for healing his wife.
(b) For the redemption of his soul.
(c) To set an example of the support his subjects should give to Christianity.
(d) To bring the blessings of God on his reign.
5. How does Bede claim Sigfrid came to be promoted from deacon to abbot after Eosterwine's left his abbey?
(a) Benedict appointed him.
(b) The pope named him to the position.
(c) He was elected over Hwaetberht.
(d) He was appointed abbot by the remaining brethren at Wearmouth and by Ceolfrith.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who confirmed the choice of Ceolfrith's replacement, according to Bede?
2. Who does the anonymous author credit with providing master builders for the monastery that Ceolfrith helped to build?
3. From whom did Bede claim Benedict bought the unique collection during his fifth trip to Rome?
4. To whom was the letter addressed?
5. Who does the anonymous author claim provided Brendan's traveling party with food as it left this island?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who provided the land for which a church and monastery could be built by Ceolfrith and Benedict according to the anonymous writer?
2. What manual trade does Bede report Benedict brought to England during construction of the monastery at the north bank at the mouth of the Wear River?
3. Who does the anonymous author claim chose Ceolfrith to become a priest?
4. Who does the anonymous writer claim served as Brendan's party's guide for finding food after they had run out the first time on their trip?
5. In what practice did Ceolfrith train new monks and priests, according to the anonymous writer?
6. Why does the anonymous writer of "The History of Abbot Ceolfrith" claim he wrote the book?
7. What challenge does the anonymous writer report came to Ceolfrith and Benedict after the plague claimed the lives of many monks and Abbot Eosterwine while they were on a pilgrimage to Rome?
8. What was the first trip that Brendan and his 14 monks took after a series of thee-day fasts over 40 days according to the anonymous writer?
9. Besides orthodox practices in Roman Catholicism, what does Bede credit Benedict with bringing back to England from his several pilgrimages to Rome?
10. How did the abbot at Wearmouth die while Benedict was on a pilgrimage to Rome according to Bede?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)