|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What practice did Ceolfrith pass on to the monks who joined him in building the new monastery?
(a) Copying Bibles and fasting on Fridays.
(b) Singing the Psalms, reading in church, and singing antiphons.
(c) Copying Bibles, interpreting scripture, and singing the Psalms.
(d) Interpreting scripture and rheotoric.
2. What did the anonymous author report occurred to Ceolfrith on the day he reached Langres on September 25?
(a) He was asked to lead worship at the abbey there.
(b) He was recived by the Galic king.
(c) He was miraculously freed from bandits who had cornered him on his journey.
(d) He died.
3. After the guide brought them to a vast hall with couches and water to wash their feet, what does the anonymous writer report that Brendan said?
(a) "Thank God from whom all good things flow . . ."
(b) "God has provided for our needs . . ."
(c) "Be on your guard, brethren, lest Satan lead you into temptation . . ."
(d) "Do not let your desire for the physical overcome your need for the Holy . . ."
4. What did the anonymous writer record that Brendan claimed they reached as they walked toward the furthest shore of their landing?
(a) A man with an aura of shining light.
(b) The Pearl of Great Price.
(c) A river that ran from east to west.
(d) A dog that led them to their provisions.
5. In the story the anonymous writer recorded Brendan told, what did Brendan say his son's name was?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the anonymous writer claim came into view after the ship ran out of food?
2. Who does the anonymous author claim presided over the monastery before Ceolfrith joined it?
3. After his fourth trip to Rome, what does Bede report that Benedict brought back to Britain?
4. What did Bede report Benedict brought back to Britain after his third trip to Rome?
5. What quote does the anonymous author of Ceolfrith's history use to advise readers of his work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Bede claim that Benedict passed on the land that King Oswiu awarded him as a thane of Oswiu's kingdom?
2. When Benedict and Sigrith were confined to their beds due to illness, what responsibility does the anonymous writer report Benedict passed to Ceolfrith?
3. How did the abbot at Wearmouth die while Benedict was on a pilgrimage to Rome according to Bede?
4. Besides orthodox practices in Roman Catholicism, what does Bede credit Benedict with bringing back to England from his several pilgrimages to Rome?
5. What did the bird tell Brendan was their punishment from God for their sin, according to the anonymous writer?
6. Who does the anonymous author claim chose Ceolfrith to become a priest?
7. Where did Benedict learn his practice of Christianity, according to Bede?
8. Why does the anonymous writer of "The History of Abbot Ceolfrith" claim he wrote the book?
9. Who does Bede note that Benedict chose as abbot for the new monastery he built at Jarrow?
10. What did a bird tell Brendan that his flock actually was, according to the anonymous writer?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)