|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During their journey, what did they discover surrounded Judas Iscariot?
(a) Cold isolation.
(b) A scroll of condemnation.
(c) Flames of torment.
(d) A great number of demons.
2. What does Bede record to be Benedict's orders regarding the books he had brought back from his several trips to Rome?
(a) That copied and spread throughout the monasteries of England.
(b) That they be kept as a single collection and not broken up piecemeal.
(c) That they be offered to the Bishop so he could consider the best use of collection.
(d) That they be returned to Rome and the collection from which they were borrowed.
3. What did the anonymous author report occurred to Ceolfrith on the day he reached Langres on September 25?
(a) He died.
(b) He was asked to lead worship at the abbey there.
(c) He was recived by the Galic king.
(d) He was miraculously freed from bandits who had cornered him on his journey.
4. Why did Benedict name Ceolfrith to be abbot over the two monasteries he helped to build, according to the anonymous author?
(a) Because Ceolfrith showed his grasp of Christian understanding in debates with other monks.
(b) Because both Benedict and the abbot who preceded Ceolfrith, Sigfrith, were on their deathbeds.
(c) Because Ceolfrith was the best candidate after the plague had caused the death of many monks.
(d) Because Ceolfrith was faithful in helping to start other abbeys.
5. In what book from the Bible does Bede claim Benedict took comfort during nights he could not sleep during his illness?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story the anonymous writer recorded Brendan told, what did Brendan say his son's name was?
2. What does the anonymous writer claim came into view after the ship ran out of food?
3. What happened to Eosterwine during Benedict's fifth journey to Rome, according to Bede?
4. What did some of the monks who buried Ceolfrith take to Rome on his behalf, according to the anonymous author?
5. Who met Brendan and his son during their journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the anonymous writer report to be surrounding Judas Iscariot when Brendan's party came upon him?
2. Why does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith accompanied Benedict on a trip to Rome?
3. For what cause did the anonymous writer report that Brendan selected 14 monks?
4. Why does the anonymous writer of "The History of Abbot Ceolfrith" claim he wrote the book?
5. Where did Benedict learn his practice of Christianity, according to Bede?
6. Why did Bede claim that Benedict passed on the land that King Oswiu awarded him as a thane of Oswiu's kingdom?
7. What manual trade does Bede report Benedict brought to England during construction of the monastery at the north bank at the mouth of the Wear River?
8. Who did Bede record the monks at Wearmouth had chosen as the replacement for the abbot chosen by Benedict?
9. When Benedict and Sigrith were confined to their beds due to illness, what responsibility does the anonymous writer report Benedict passed to Ceolfrith?
10. What was the first trip that Brendan and his 14 monks took after a series of thee-day fasts over 40 days according to the anonymous writer?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)