|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the anonymous author claim that Ceolfrith came to study for the priesthood?
(a) He was appointed by Abbot Botulf.
(b) He was appointed by his brother Cynefrith.
(c) He was appointed by his Bishop Wilford.
(d) He was appointed by his cousin Tunbert.
2. What happened to Eosterwine during Benedict's fifth journey to Rome, according to Bede?
(a) The pope beckoned Eosterwine to Rome.
(b) Eosterwine became abbot of Jarrow.
(c) Eostewine and a number of monks died from the plague.
(d) Eosterwine starved during a siege of Wearmouth.
3. How long did Ceolfrith preside over the responsibilities appointed to him by Benedict?
(a) 28 years.
(b) 7 years.
(c) 16 years.
(d) 3 years.
4. What did some of the monks who buried Ceolfrith take to Rome on his behalf, according to the anonymous author?
(a) A Bible translated from Hebrew and Greek originals according to the interpretation of Priest Jerome.
(b) Icons of Ceolfrith to be kept with other holy icons.
(c) A letter to the pope requesting more books of learning for the church.
(d) A painting of Ceolfrith made just prior to his death.
5. During their journey, what did they discover surrounded Judas Iscariot?
(a) A scroll of condemnation.
(b) A great number of demons.
(c) Cold isolation.
(d) Flames of torment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What decision does Bede report Benedict made while Benedict and Sigfrith were on their deathbeds?
2. What was Brendan's warning as they left the island?
3. After Brendan said he and his son landed the boat in which they took their trip, how long did they walk on the island before without reaching the furthest shore from their landing, according to the anonymous writer?
4. What illness does Bede report came to Benedict shortly after Sigfrith became abbot of Wearmouth?
5. How did Brendan's traveling party arrive at the next island?
Short Essay Questions
1. When an island sailed away from Brendan's party, how did God explain the event to Brendan, according to the anonymous writer?
2. Who provided the land for which a church and monastery could be built by Ceolfrith and Benedict according to the anonymous writer?
3. What challenge does the anonymous writer report came to Ceolfrith and Benedict after the plague claimed the lives of many monks and Abbot Eosterwine while they were on a pilgrimage to Rome?
4. Who did Bede record the monks at Wearmouth had chosen as the replacement for the abbot chosen by Benedict?
5. Why did Bede claim that Benedict passed on the land that King Oswiu awarded him as a thane of Oswiu's kingdom?
6. What did the anonymous writer report to be surrounding Judas Iscariot when Brendan's party came upon him?
7. In what practice did Ceolfrith train new monks and priests, according to the anonymous writer?
8. What action does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith took when he decided he was too old to be a good example to his followers?
9. Why does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith accompanied Benedict on a trip to Rome?
10. Who does Bede note that Benedict chose as abbot for the new monastery he built at Jarrow?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)