|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What principal apostle of Ireland does Farmer claim encouraged monasticism for men and women?
(a) St. Brendan.
(b) St. Benedict.
(c) St. Ceolfrith.
(d) St. Patrick.
2. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
(a) The presbytery and the Holy Roman Empire.
(b) The Sacraments, baptism, and confession.
(c) Indulgences, monasticism, and chanting.
(d) Monasticism and the primacy of the spiritual.
3. Who does Stephanus report led a synod which was actually a trap to take the properties that were under Wilfrid's authority?
(a) Pope Agatho.
(b) Bishop Colman.
(c) Archdeacon Boniface.
(d) Archbishop Berhtwald.
4. What term does Farmer use to identify a community of monks?
(a) The Holy Knights.
(b) The Royal Order.
(d) The Holy Priesthood.
5. What does Bede claim came of the person to whom Cuthbert prophesied his death?
(a) He died at the same time as Cuthbert.
(b) Cuthbert blessed him and he lived many years after receiving the prophesy.
(c) He passed the story of Cuthbert's death to Bede.
(d) He was made abbot of lindisfarne.
Short Answer Questions
1. What text does Bede report that Boisil recommended to Cuthbert?
2. Which Old Testament prophet does Bede first quote in the first paragraph of Chapter One?
3. To whom did Bede write the prologue to his "Life of Cuthbert"?
4. What does Bede claim Cuthbert did to convert water to wine as he stayed at a convent in Tyne?
5. What effect did abbots in Ireland have on the influence of bishops, according to Farmer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bede report a monk witnessed when he followed Cuthbert to spy on an evening prayer vigil?
2. Who does Bede claim chastised Cuthbert as a youth for indulging in childish games when God had a plan for his life?
3. How does Stephanus report King Theodoric of the Franks rejected a letter requesting Wilfred be returned dead or alive to his see to face trial?
4. What was the debate that Wilfred conducted with Bishop Colman, and what does Stephanus suggest it led to?
5. Why did Bede claim that he wrote "The Life of Cuthbert"?
6. What unique power does Bede claim that Cuthbert's prayers held?
7. What does Farmer cite as the earliest work of "The Age of Bede," and what makes it different from the other four texts?
8. According to Farmer, why is Stephanus's "Life of Wilfrid" unique among all literature?
9. Who does Stephanus claim supported Wilfred's desire to visit St. Peter's in Rome?
10. According to Farmer in the Introduction, how did Irish monasteries become established?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)