|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many Latin manuscripts of this document does Farmer claim still exists?
2. Why did a demon leave the wife of Sheriff Hildmer as he and Cuthbert approached his home, according to Bede?
(a) The demon could not stand the approaching of the Holy Spirit that resided in Cuthbert.
(b) The angels that always walked ahead of Cuthbert battled the angels as the wife of the sheriff slept.
(c) Because the demon realized that God would come at Cuthbert's call.
(d) Because Cuthbert had prayed that God would remove the demon before the Sheriff had returned to his home.
3. How does Bede claim Cuthbert kept birds from eating the barley crop he grew as he lived in isolation as a monk?
(a) He said, "God will banish your souls to condemnation should you be robbing from His anointed."
(b) He invented the scarecrow.
(c) He said, ". . . If God has given you permission, then do as He bade you: if not, be off with you, . . ."
(d) He kept a week-long prayer and fast to appeal to God to deliver his crops from the offending birds.
4. Farmer asserts that the "Navigatio" is a fascinating mixture of what?
(a) Intrigue, sound doctrine, and drama.
(b) Fact, fantasy, and literary borrowing.
(c) History, fact, and economic theory.
(d) Fantasy, doctrine, and mystery.
5. What does Farmer identify as the basic theme of the "Navigatio"?
(a) The quest for paradise on earth.
(b) The cleansing influence of virtue.
(c) The miraculous power of prayer.
(d) The healing mysteries of faith.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years does Farmer claim had passed before the biography of Brendan had first appeared?
2. How does Bede claim Christian converts profaned their faith in Chapter 9?
3. Who did Bede report reviewed and revised his work?
4. Who does Farmer claim enabled Wilfred to travel to visit other churches through Europe?
5. Which duke of Theodoric petitioned the king over the land Wilfrid where was preaching to have Wilfrid sent to him dead or alive, according to Stephanus?
Short Essay Questions
1. From whom did Bede record the details of Cuthbert's death?
2. What are the five texts that make up the "Age of Bede"?
3. Who does Bede report presided over a great synod that selected Cuthbert as Bishop of Lindisfarne?
4. How did Cuthbert drive away crows that were invading the crops he grew while he was living as a hermit, according to Bede?
5. Who does Stephanus credit with introducing Wilfred to the pope and teaching him the rules of Easter?
6. What miracle does Stephanus report occurred during the birth of Wilfred?
7. Who does Bede credit with healing Cuthbert from a childhood disease that made him lame?
8. What is Farmer's closing opinion of the texts of "The Age of Bede"?
9. Why does Stephanus claim that King Egfrith and his queen, Iurminburgh, conspired to remove Wilfred from his position as bishop?
10. Who does Farmer identify as the two subjects from "The Age of Bede" who were from Northumbria?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)