|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which document by Bede, according to Farmer, acts as a biography and a local history?
(a) "Lives of the Abbots."
(b) "The History of Abbot Ceolfrith."
(c) "The Life of Wilfrid."
(d) "The Life of Cuthbert."
2. Who does Farmer report to be the earliest monk of the British Isles?
(a) Benedict, a Roman bishop.
(b) Brendan, an Irish monk.
(c) Ceolfrith, a monk of Wearmouth.
(d) Cuthbert, a hermit of Lindisfarne.
3. What sign does Stephanus claim that God used to indicate that Wilfrid would serve him in the future?
(a) An angel disguised as a horseman helped with Wilfrid's delivery.
(b) A fiery demon was chased from his village by a torrent provided by God.
(c) The house where he was being born caught fire but was not consumed.
(d) Birds gathered to sing praises to God as Wilfrid was born.
4. Who does Stephanus claim influenced Ecgfrith to drive Wilfrid from his see?
(a) Bishop Winfrid.
(b) Bishop Colman.
(c) Ecgfrith's queen, Iurminbrugh.
(d) King Dagobert.
5. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
(a) Monasticism and the primacy of the spiritual.
(b) The Sacraments, baptism, and confession.
(c) The presbytery and the Holy Roman Empire.
(d) Indulgences, monasticism, and chanting.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Wilfrid's ship had run aground on the English shore and was surrounded by pagans, what event does Stephanus report occurred that preceded a battle between Wilfrid's party and the pagans?
2. Why did Bede address his prologue to its named recipient?
3. Over what issue did Wilfrid debate Bishop Colman according to Stephanus?
4. What does Farmer report came of Cuthbert after he spent many years in a monastery?
5. To whom did Bede write the prologue to his "Life of Cuthbert"?
Short Essay Questions
1. From whom did Bede record the details of Cuthbert's death?
2. Who does Bede note that Benedict chose as abbot for the new monastery he built at Jarrow?
3. Why does Farmer consider Bede's "Lives of the Abbots" historically significant?
4. Who does Bede cite as helping him revise the text of "The Life of Cuthbert"?
5. Who does Bede claim endorsed the choice of the monks of Jarrow and Wearmouth?
6. Why did Bede claim that he wrote "The Life of Cuthbert"?
7. Why did Bede claim that Benedict passed on the land that King Oswiu awarded him as a thane of Oswiu's kingdom?
8. When an island sailed away from Brendan's party, how did God explain the event to Brendan, according to the anonymous writer?
9. What miracle does Stephanus report occurred during the birth of Wilfred?
10. Who does Stephanus claim supported Wilfred's desire to visit St. Peter's in Rome?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)