|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Farmer report came of Cuthbert after he spent many years in a monastery?
(a) He became an usher in the Holy See.
(b) He was appointed Bishop.
(c) He became a hermit.
(d) He became a priest.
2. Which duke of Theodoric petitioned the king over the land Wilfrid where was preaching to have Wilfrid sent to him dead or alive, according to Stephanus?
3. What does Farmer claim to be the name of the author of the "Navigatio"?
(b) Eddius Stephanus.
4. What animal does Bede claim ministered to Cuthbert after he spent a night in prayer in the water off the sea shore?
(a) Two otters.
(b) A dog.
(c) A fawn.
(d) An eagle.
5. To what office did Stephanus claim Agilberht ordained Wilfrid?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did a demon leave the wife of Sheriff Hildmer as he and Cuthbert approached his home, according to Bede?
2. What institution does Farmer suggest was responsible for the growth of monasteries in Ireland?
3. What term does Farmer use to identify a community of monks?
4. Who was the wicked queen who Stephanus wrote persecuted the church and martyred nine bishops?
5. What does Farmer claim draws readers across the ages to the lives profiled in "The Age of Bede"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What miracle does Stephanus report occurred during the birth of Wilfred?
2. Who does Farmer identify as the two subjects from "The Age of Bede" who were from Northumbria?
3. Who does Stephanus report that Wilfred nominated to become abbot after his death?
4. Why does Farmer consider "The Voyage of St. Brendan" an important text in "The Age of Bede"?
5. What are the five texts that make up the "Age of Bede"?
6. Why does Farmer consider the lives of the men profiled in "The Age of Bede" important to the Christian history of their region?
7. Why does Farmer consider Bede's "Lives of the Abbots" historically significant?
8. What unique power does Bede claim that Cuthbert's prayers held?
9. Who does Stephanus claim supported Wilfred's desire to visit St. Peter's in Rome?
10. What does Bede report a monk witnessed when he followed Cuthbert to spy on an evening prayer vigil?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)