|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Stephanus claim influenced Ecgfrith to drive Wilfrid from his see?
(a) Bishop Winfrid.
(b) King Dagobert.
(c) Bishop Colman.
(d) Ecgfrith's queen, Iurminbrugh.
2. Which cleric does Farmer identify as coming from Northumbria and trained at Melrose?
(d) Columba of Iona.
3. Why was Cuthbert inspired to rise from his sickbed in Chapter 8, according to Bede?
(a) Because he did not want to neglect the responsibility God had put before him.
(b) Because he knew that God would provide him strength to carry out ministry.
(c) Because he knew that God had certainly heard the prayers of the monks praying for him.
(d) Because he desired to be an inspiration to those in need.
4. To whom did Cuthbert prophesy his own death, according to Bede?
(a) Benedict Biscop.
(b) Hereberht, the hermit.
(c) The residents on the island Lindisfarne.
5. To what office did Stephanus claim Agilberht ordained Wilfrid?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Farmer claim draws readers across the ages to the lives profiled in "The Age of Bede"?
2. Who was the wicked queen who Stephanus wrote persecuted the church and martyred nine bishops?
3. In what literary form does Farmer claim Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" is written?
4. Who does Farmer credit with writing the earliest "Life of Cuthbert"?
5. What does Stephanus claim was the King's response to the request that Wilfrid be sent to the duke?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Bede claim that he wrote "The Life of Cuthbert"?
2. What miracle does Stephanus report occurred during the birth of Wilfred?
3. Who does Stephanus claim supported Wilfred's desire to visit St. Peter's in Rome?
4. What does Farmer cite as the earliest work of "The Age of Bede," and what makes it different from the other four texts?
5. Why does Farmer consider the lives of the men profiled in "The Age of Bede" important to the Christian history of their region?
6. Who does Bede credit with healing Cuthbert from a childhood disease that made him lame?
7. How did Cuthbert drive away crows that were invading the crops he grew while he was living as a hermit, according to Bede?
8. Why does Farmer consider "The Voyage of St. Brendan" an important text in "The Age of Bede"?
9. How does Stephanus report King Theodoric of the Franks rejected a letter requesting Wilfred be returned dead or alive to his see to face trial?
10. Who does Stephanus report that Wilfred nominated to become abbot after his death?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)