|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were two things that Bede said he avoided in the prologue?
(a) Criticism and pessimism.
(b) Judgementalism and piety.
(c) Doctrine and legalism.
(d) Ambiguity and hair-splitting.
2. Why did Bede address his prologue to its named recipient?
(a) So the reader would know that the work was undertaken in compliance with the Bishop's wishes.
(b) To assure future Christians that the church was founded by men of reliable virtue.
(c) To show his father that his devotion was being manifested in good works.
(d) To affirm he virtues of Cuthbert to those whom he served.
3. What did Bede claim to be Cuthbert's preoccupation when he was still eight years old?
(a) Games and carefree play.
(b) Praying and Chanting.
(c) Hunting and adventuring.
(d) Reading and writing.
4. What was the result of the prayers Cuthbert led while he and two brethren were stranded during a sea voyage without provisions?
(a) God ended the storm and provided a passing ship to carry them to their destination.
(b) Angels mended their ship while the two brethren slept and Cuthbert kept a prayer vigil.
(c) A whale came to deliver them to their destination.
(d) They were provided with dolphin meat and calm seas.
5. Who does Bede claim first chastised Cuthbert for his idleness and his indulgences?
(a) His maternal grandfather.
(b) A three-year-old child.
(c) A neighbor who caught him in a prank.
(d) A solemn old man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Farmer claim draws readers across the ages to the lives profiled in "The Age of Bede"?
2. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
3. What effect did abbots in Ireland have on the influence of bishops, according to Farmer?
4. How did Cuthbert respond to converts who were falling away from the faith, according to Bede?
5. How many years does Farmer claim had passed before the biography of Brendan had first appeared?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Bede claim that he wrote "The Life of Cuthbert"?
2. Who does Bede claim chastised Cuthbert as a youth for indulging in childish games when God had a plan for his life?
3. Who does Bede report presided over a great synod that selected Cuthbert as Bishop of Lindisfarne?
4. Who does Farmer identify as the two subjects from "The Age of Bede" who were from Northumbria?
5. What does Farmer cite as the earliest work of "The Age of Bede," and what makes it different from the other four texts?
6. To whom was Stephanus being obedient with his record of "The Life of Wilfred"?
7. Why does Farmer consider Bede's "Lives of the Abbots" historically significant?
8. When and where does Farmer write the saints covered in "The Age of Bede" lived?
9. Why does Stephanus claim that King Egfrith and his queen, Iurminburgh, conspired to remove Wilfred from his position as bishop?
10. What is Farmer's closing opinion of the texts of "The Age of Bede"?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)