|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What effect did abbots in Ireland have on the influence of bishops, according to Farmer?
(a) The provided the channels for bishops to influence the population.
(b) They strengthened the bishops by collecting indulgences for them.
(c) They had no affect on the bishops.
(d) They diminished the influence of bishops.
2. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
(a) Indulgences, monasticism, and chanting.
(b) The Sacraments, baptism, and confession.
(c) The presbytery and the Holy Roman Empire.
(d) Monasticism and the primacy of the spiritual.
3. Who does Stephanus claim taught Wilfrid the rules of Easter while he was in this city?
(a) Bishop Baducing.
(b) Bishop Colman.
(c) Archbishop Dalfinus.
(d) Archbishop Dalfinus.
4. How many years does Farmer claim had passed before the biography of Brendan had first appeared?
(a) About 120.
(b) About 210.
(c) About 20.
(d) About 200.
5. What does Bede report Cuthbert used to cure a sick servant to a bodyguard of King Ecgfrith?
(a) A poltice delivered to him by an angel on horseback.
(b) Prayer and fasting.
(c) A salve brought to him by two otters.
(d) Water he blessed.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Latin manuscripts of this document does Farmer claim still exists?
2. What principal apostle of Ireland does Farmer claim encouraged monasticism for men and women?
3. What was Wilfrid's destination when he left his home, according to Stephanus?
4. Who does Stephanus report restored Wilfrid to his see?
5. What kind of battles does Farmer report the church leaders in "The Age of Bede" fought?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Farmer cite as the earliest work of "The Age of Bede," and what makes it different from the other four texts?
2. Why does Farmer consider "The Voyage of St. Brendan" an important text in "The Age of Bede"?
3. Why does Farmer consider Bede's "Lives of the Abbots" historically significant?
4. Who does Bede cite as helping him revise the text of "The Life of Cuthbert"?
5. What unique power does Bede claim that Cuthbert's prayers held?
6. Who does Stephanus report that Wilfred nominated to become abbot after his death?
7. Who does Farmer identify as the two subjects from "The Age of Bede" who were from Northumbria?
8. Who does Bede credit with healing Cuthbert from a childhood disease that made him lame?
9. When and where does Farmer write the saints covered in "The Age of Bede" lived?
10. To whom did Bede write "The Life of Cuthbert"?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)