|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What institution does Farmer suggest was responsible for the growth of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) The family.
(b) The Nobility.
(c) The government.
(d) The Clergy.
2. After his debate with Bishop Colman won him acclaim, what does Stephanus report came of Wilfrid?
(a) Wilfrid was appointed abbot.
(b) Wilfrid was ordained as a priest.
(c) Wilfrid was elected to the episcopacy.
(d) Wilfrid became a Bishop.
3. Where does Farmer claim that the earliest surviving manuscript of "Navigatio" was written?
(a) At the monastery at Melrose.
(b) At the monastery at Inishadroum.
(c) At the monastery at Wearmouth.
(d) At the monastery at St. Maximin.
4. How many Latin manuscripts of this document does Farmer claim still exists?
5. How does Bede claim Cuthbert kept birds from eating the barley crop he grew as he lived in isolation as a monk?
(a) He said, ". . . If God has given you permission, then do as He bade you: if not, be off with you, . . ."
(b) He kept a week-long prayer and fast to appeal to God to deliver his crops from the offending birds.
(c) He invented the scarecrow.
(d) He said, "God will banish your souls to condemnation should you be robbing from His anointed."
Short Answer Questions
1. What sign does Stephanus claim was sent to prove that God intended Wilfred to be a saint?
2. Who does Stephanus claim introduced Wilfrid to the Pope?
3. What does Bede report Cuthbert used to cure a sick servant to a bodyguard of King Ecgfrith?
4. How old was Wilfrid when Stephanus reported he left home to seek the kingdom of Heaven?
5. To whom did Cuthbert prophesy his own death, according to Bede?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Farmer consider the lives of the men profiled in "The Age of Bede" important to the Christian history of their region?
2. Why does Farmer consider Bede's "Lives of the Abbots" historically significant?
3. Who does Bede cite as helping him revise the text of "The Life of Cuthbert"?
4. What does Farmer cite as the earliest work of "The Age of Bede," and what makes it different from the other four texts?
5. What does Bede report a monk witnessed when he followed Cuthbert to spy on an evening prayer vigil?
6. To whom did Bede write "The Life of Cuthbert"?
7. What statement does Stephanus write to defend the facts he reports in "The Life of Wilfred"?
8. How did Cuthbert drive away crows that were invading the crops he grew while he was living as a hermit, according to Bede?
9. What miracle does Stephanus report occurred during the birth of Wilfred?
10. Who does Stephanus credit with introducing Wilfred to the pope and teaching him the rules of Easter?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)