|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Farmer asserts that the "Navigatio" is a fascinating mixture of what?
(a) History, fact, and economic theory.
(b) Fantasy, doctrine, and mystery.
(c) Intrigue, sound doctrine, and drama.
(d) Fact, fantasy, and literary borrowing.
2. Where did Stephanus report Wilfrid first settled after being chased from his see?
3. Why did Bede address his prologue to its named recipient?
(a) To affirm he virtues of Cuthbert to those whom he served.
(b) So the reader would know that the work was undertaken in compliance with the Bishop's wishes.
(c) To show his father that his devotion was being manifested in good works.
(d) To assure future Christians that the church was founded by men of reliable virtue.
4. For what two countries does Farmer claim "The Age of Bede" to be an important source of early Christian Church history?
(a) Rome and Ireland.
(b) England and France.
(c) England and Ireland.
(d) Ireland and The Netherlands.
5. What kind of battles does Farmer report the church leaders in "The Age of Bede" fought?
(a) Political battles against corrupt kings.
(b) Physical battles against pagans seeking to dismantle Christian influences.
(c) Spiritual battles against invisible diabolical enemies.
(d) Economic battles against land owners who sought land on which churches were built.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bede claim Christian converts profaned their faith in Chapter 9?
2. What did Bede claim to be Cuthbert's preoccupation when he was still eight years old?
3. In what literary form does Farmer claim Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" is written?
4. Who gave Wilfrid the monastery at Ripon according to Stephanus?
5. How was Cuthbert's Friday fast broken on one occasion at the vesper's hour according to Bede?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ceolfrith's training under Abbot Botulf influence his life as a church leader, according to the anonymous author?
2. To whom did Bede write "The Life of Cuthbert"?
3. What did the bird tell Brendan was their punishment from God for their sin, according to the anonymous writer?
4. How did Cuthbert drive away crows that were invading the crops he grew while he was living as a hermit, according to Bede?
5. What miracle does Stephanus report occurred during the birth of Wilfred?
6. Why does Farmer consider "The Voyage of St. Brendan" an important text in "The Age of Bede"?
7. Why did Bede claim that he wrote "The Life of Cuthbert"?
8. What did a bird tell Brendan that his flock actually was, according to the anonymous writer?
9. How far does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith got on his last pilgrimage to Rome?
10. Who does Stephanus credit with introducing Wilfred to the pope and teaching him the rules of Easter?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)