|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bede claim Christian converts profaned their faith in Chapter 9?
(a) With the coarse language.
(b) With their ill-gotten gains.
(c) With their sloth.
(d) With their works.
2. Where does Farmer claim that the earliest surviving manuscript of "Navigatio" was written?
(a) At the monastery at Melrose.
(b) At the monastery at Wearmouth.
(c) At the monastery at St. Maximin.
(d) At the monastery at Inishadroum.
3. What term does Farmer use to identify a community of monks?
(b) The Holy Priesthood.
(c) The Holy Knights.
(d) The Royal Order.
4. Which document by Bede, according to Farmer, acts as a biography and a local history?
(a) "The Life of Wilfrid."
(b) "Lives of the Abbots."
(c) "The History of Abbot Ceolfrith."
(d) "The Life of Cuthbert."
5. Who kept Wilfrid until Stephanus claimed he could meet with suitable travelers as he began his journey to St. Peter's see?
(a) Archbishop Dalfinus.
(b) Biscop Baducing.
(c) Queen Eanfled's cousin, King Erconberht of Kent.
(d) Bishop Agilberht.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which duke of Theodoric petitioned the king over the land Wilfrid where was preaching to have Wilfrid sent to him dead or alive, according to Stephanus?
2. What does Farmer claim to be the name of the author of the "Navigatio"?
3. Who does Farmer claim enabled Wilfred to travel to visit other churches through Europe?
4. Farmer asserts that the "Navigatio" is a fascinating mixture of what?
5. Who does Bede report gave Cuthbert a cure for a tumor on his knee?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Farmer, why is Stephanus's "Life of Wilfrid" unique among all literature?
2. Who does Bede credit with healing Cuthbert from a childhood disease that made him lame?
3. According to Farmer in the Introduction, how did Irish monasteries become established?
4. What statement does Stephanus write to defend the facts he reports in "The Life of Wilfred"?
5. How does Stephanus report King Theodoric of the Franks rejected a letter requesting Wilfred be returned dead or alive to his see to face trial?
6. Who does Stephanus credit with introducing Wilfred to the pope and teaching him the rules of Easter?
7. Who does Bede cite as helping him revise the text of "The Life of Cuthbert"?
8. What does Bede report a monk witnessed when he followed Cuthbert to spy on an evening prayer vigil?
9. What does Farmer cite as the earliest work of "The Age of Bede," and what makes it different from the other four texts?
10. Who does Farmer identify as the two subjects from "The Age of Bede" who were from Northumbria?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)