Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Wilfrid when Stephanus reported he left home to seek the kingdom of Heaven?
2. What kind of battles does Farmer report the church leaders in "The Age of Bede" fought?
(a) Physical battles against pagans seeking to dismantle Christian influences.
(b) Economic battles against land owners who sought land on which churches were built.
(c) Spiritual battles against invisible diabolical enemies.
(d) Political battles against corrupt kings.
3. Where does Farmer claim that the earliest surviving manuscript of "Navigatio" was written?
(a) At the monastery at Melrose.
(b) At the monastery at St. Maximin.
(c) At the monastery at Wearmouth.
(d) At the monastery at Inishadroum.
4. Who granted Wilfrid to preach in his first destination after being chased from his see?
(a) King Perctarit.
(b) King Ecgfrith.
(c) King Aldgisi.
(d) King Dagobert.
5. To whom did Cuthbert prophesy his own death, according to Bede?
(a) Benedict Biscop.
(b) The residents on the island Lindisfarne.
(c) Hereberht, the hermit.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
2. Who does Farmer claim enabled Wilfred to travel to visit other churches through Europe?
3. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
4. Who was the king who Stephanus reported to follow Wilfrid's guidance to win victories over the Picts and Mercia?
5. Why did Bede address his prologue to its named recipient?
Short Essay Questions
1. What challenge does the anonymous writer report came to Ceolfrith and Benedict after the plague claimed the lives of many monks and Abbot Eosterwine while they were on a pilgrimage to Rome?
2. Who does the anonymous writer claim served as Brendan's party's guide for finding food after they had run out the first time on their trip?
3. Who did Bede record the monks at Wearmouth had chosen as the replacement for the abbot chosen by Benedict?
4. Where did Benedict learn his practice of Christianity, according to Bede?
5. Why did Bede claim that he wrote "The Life of Cuthbert"?
6. Besides orthodox practices in Roman Catholicism, what does Bede credit Benedict with bringing back to England from his several pilgrimages to Rome?
7. Who provided the land for which a church and monastery could be built by Ceolfrith and Benedict according to the anonymous writer?
8. For what cause did the anonymous writer report that Brendan selected 14 monks?
9. Why does the anonymous writer of "The History of Abbot Ceolfrith" claim he wrote the book?
10. Who does Bede note that Benedict chose as abbot for the new monastery he built at Jarrow?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)