|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many texts does D.H. Farmer report in the Introduction comprise "The Age of Bede"?
2. What term does Farmer use to identify a community of monks?
(b) The Holy Priesthood.
(c) The Holy Knights.
(d) The Royal Order.
3. How does Bede claim Cuthbert kept birds from eating the barley crop he grew as he lived in isolation as a monk?
(a) He invented the scarecrow.
(b) He kept a week-long prayer and fast to appeal to God to deliver his crops from the offending birds.
(c) He said, ". . . If God has given you permission, then do as He bade you: if not, be off with you, . . ."
(d) He said, "God will banish your souls to condemnation should you be robbing from His anointed."
4. As Cuthbert was traveling with a boy during a preaching tour in Chapter 12, how did Bede report that Cuthbert prophesied their food would be provided?
(a) By a fawn.
(b) By a dog.
(c) By two otters.
(d) By an eagle.
5. Which duke of Theodoric petitioned the king over the land Wilfrid where was preaching to have Wilfrid sent to him dead or alive, according to Stephanus?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Bede claim first chastised Cuthbert for his idleness and his indulgences?
2. Why was Cuthbert inspired to rise from his sickbed in Chapter 8, according to Bede?
3. How old was Wilfrid when Stephanus reported he left home to seek the kingdom of Heaven?
4. What was the first miracle that Bede reports that Cuthbert performed?
5. What were two things that Bede said he avoided in the prologue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Farmer cite as the earliest work of "The Age of Bede," and what makes it different from the other four texts?
2. Who does Bede report presided over a great synod that selected Cuthbert as Bishop of Lindisfarne?
3. Why does Farmer consider Bede's "Lives of the Abbots" historically significant?
4. Who does Bede cite as helping him revise the text of "The Life of Cuthbert"?
5. What statement does Stephanus write to defend the facts he reports in "The Life of Wilfred"?
6. How did Cuthbert drive away crows that were invading the crops he grew while he was living as a hermit, according to Bede?
7. What are the five texts that make up the "Age of Bede"?
8. What was the debate that Wilfred conducted with Bishop Colman, and what does Stephanus suggest it led to?
9. When and where does Farmer write the saints covered in "The Age of Bede" lived?
10. To whom did Bede write "The Life of Cuthbert"?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)