|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gave Wilfrid the monastery at Ripon according to Stephanus?
(b) King Oswiu.
(c) King Ecgfrith.
(d) Bishop Winfrid.
2. Whose record of Cuthbert's death did Bede use?
(a) Wilfrid who asked Bede to take a pilgrimage with him to Rome.
(b) Benedict who was a close friend of Cuthbert.
(c) Hwaetbehrt who succeeded him as abbot.
(d) Herefrith, a devout priest and abbot of Lindisfarne.
3. What does Bede claim came of the person to whom Cuthbert prophesied his death?
(a) He passed the story of Cuthbert's death to Bede.
(b) Cuthbert blessed him and he lived many years after receiving the prophesy.
(c) He died at the same time as Cuthbert.
(d) He was made abbot of lindisfarne.
4. What does Farmer claim to be the name of the author of the "Navigatio"?
(b) Eddius Stephanus.
5. How many texts does D.H. Farmer report in the Introduction comprise "The Age of Bede"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the first miracle that Bede reports that Cuthbert performed?
2. Who does Stephanus claim influenced Ecgfrith to drive Wilfrid from his see?
3. What was the quote from the Psalms that Bede used to support God's hand in the event?
4. What was Wilfrid's destination when he left his home, according to Stephanus?
5. To what biblical story does Stephanus compare the event that preceded the battle between Wilfrid's party and the pagans?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Bede credit with healing Cuthbert from a childhood disease that made him lame?
2. What statement does Stephanus write to defend the facts he reports in "The Life of Wilfred"?
3. How does Stephanus report King Theodoric of the Franks rejected a letter requesting Wilfred be returned dead or alive to his see to face trial?
4. Who does Stephanus report that Wilfred nominated to become abbot after his death?
5. Why did Bede claim that he wrote "The Life of Cuthbert"?
6. According to Farmer in the Introduction, how did Irish monasteries become established?
7. What unique power does Bede claim that Cuthbert's prayers held?
8. Why does Farmer consider Bede's "Lives of the Abbots" historically significant?
9. To whom was Stephanus being obedient with his record of "The Life of Wilfred"?
10. Who does Stephanus credit with introducing Wilfred to the pope and teaching him the rules of Easter?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)