|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal does Bede claim ministered to Cuthbert after he spent a night in prayer in the water off the sea shore?
(a) A fawn.
(b) Two otters.
(c) An eagle.
(d) A dog.
2. Who did Bede report reviewed and revised his work?
(c) The Priest Herefrith.
3. What does Bede claim Cuthbert did to convert water to wine as he stayed at a convent in Tyne?
(a) He drank the water from a cup.
(b) He performed a wedding and asked for God's provisions over the reception.
(c) He spent a night's prayer vigil in a nearby lake.
(d) He dipped the hem of his garment in a cask of water.
4. Why did a demon leave the wife of Sheriff Hildmer as he and Cuthbert approached his home, according to Bede?
(a) The angels that always walked ahead of Cuthbert battled the angels as the wife of the sheriff slept.
(b) The demon could not stand the approaching of the Holy Spirit that resided in Cuthbert.
(c) Because Cuthbert had prayed that God would remove the demon before the Sheriff had returned to his home.
(d) Because the demon realized that God would come at Cuthbert's call.
5. Where did Stephanus report Wilfrid first settled after being chased from his see?
Short Answer Questions
1. As Cuthbert was traveling with a boy during a preaching tour in Chapter 12, how did Bede report that Cuthbert prophesied their food would be provided?
2. What does Farmer claim to be the name of the author of the "Navigatio"?
3. What does Farmer identify as the basic theme of the "Navigatio"?
4. What came of a phantom fire that came upon a village while Bede reports that Cuthbert was teaching on the distractions of the devil?
5. What were Brendan's most important monasteries, according to Farmer?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Farmer, why is Stephanus's "Life of Wilfrid" unique among all literature?
2. Who does Bede report presided over a great synod that selected Cuthbert as Bishop of Lindisfarne?
3. Who does Stephanus claim supported Wilfred's desire to visit St. Peter's in Rome?
4. What does Farmer cite as the earliest work of "The Age of Bede," and what makes it different from the other four texts?
5. Who does Farmer identify as the two subjects from "The Age of Bede" who were from Northumbria?
6. What miracle does Stephanus report occurred during the birth of Wilfred?
7. What are the five texts that make up the "Age of Bede"?
8. Who does Bede cite as helping him revise the text of "The Life of Cuthbert"?
9. To whom did Bede write "The Life of Cuthbert"?
10. Why does Farmer consider the lives of the men profiled in "The Age of Bede" important to the Christian history of their region?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)