|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what does Stephanus claim Wilfrid accused English bishops prior to his journey to Gaul?
(a) Being too strict with moral limits.
(b) Being too stiff in worship services.
(c) Being similar in ideology to Celts.
(d) Being corrupt with indulgences.
2. For what two countries does Farmer claim "The Age of Bede" to be an important source of early Christian Church history?
(a) Rome and Ireland.
(b) England and Ireland.
(c) Ireland and The Netherlands.
(d) England and France.
3. Who gave Wilfrid the monastery at Ripon according to Stephanus?
(b) Bishop Winfrid.
(c) King Ecgfrith.
(d) King Oswiu.
4. To whom did Stephanus address his record of the "Life of Wilfrid"?
(a) To Bishop Agilberht who ordained him to the priesthood.
(b) Acca, his Bishop, and Tatberht, his Abbot.
(c) To his father.
(d) To Boniface, the archdeacon who introduced him to the pope.
5. What kind of battles does Farmer report the church leaders in "The Age of Bede" fought?
(a) Spiritual battles against invisible diabolical enemies.
(b) Economic battles against land owners who sought land on which churches were built.
(c) Political battles against corrupt kings.
(d) Physical battles against pagans seeking to dismantle Christian influences.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city did Stephanus report Wilfrid's traveling companion leave him after they started their journey to St. Peter's?
2. What official does Farmer report presided over the community of monks?
3. What was the result of the prayers Cuthbert led while he and two brethren were stranded during a sea voyage without provisions?
4. How does Bede claim Cuthbert kept birds from eating the barley crop he grew as he lived in isolation as a monk?
5. What was the first miracle that Bede reports that Cuthbert performed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What unique power does Bede claim that Cuthbert's prayers held?
2. To whom did Bede write "The Life of Cuthbert"?
3. What was the debate that Wilfred conducted with Bishop Colman, and what does Stephanus suggest it led to?
4. Who does Stephanus report that Wilfred nominated to become abbot after his death?
5. Who does Bede credit with healing Cuthbert from a childhood disease that made him lame?
6. What are the five texts that make up the "Age of Bede"?
7. Why does Farmer consider "The Voyage of St. Brendan" an important text in "The Age of Bede"?
8. Who does Bede claim chastised Cuthbert as a youth for indulging in childish games when God had a plan for his life?
9. According to Farmer in the Introduction, how did Irish monasteries become established?
10. How did Cuthbert drive away crows that were invading the crops he grew while he was living as a hermit, according to Bede?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)