|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What miracle did Cuthbert perform when he brought the Holy Ghost to a village that could only provide tents for him and his retinue?
(a) With prayer he cured a boy that was dying.
(b) He fed the village a healthy stew made from nothing but a pot of water and three round stones.
(c) He healed a blind man who shared his bread with them.
(d) He received wood from birds and animals to provide for a fire.
2. As Cuthbert was traveling with a boy during a preaching tour in Chapter 12, how did Bede report that Cuthbert prophesied their food would be provided?
(a) By an eagle.
(b) By a dog.
(c) By a fawn.
(d) By two otters.
3. Which Northumbrian cleric does Farmer record as being trained in Lindisfarne?
4. Which Irish apostle, according to Farmer, became famous for the founding of the Bobbio and Saint-Gall monasteries.
5. Farmer asserts that the "Navigatio" is a fascinating mixture of what?
(a) Fantasy, doctrine, and mystery.
(b) Intrigue, sound doctrine, and drama.
(c) Fact, fantasy, and literary borrowing.
(d) History, fact, and economic theory.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who kept Wilfrid until Stephanus claimed he could meet with suitable travelers as he began his journey to St. Peter's see?
2. Who was the wicked queen who Stephanus wrote persecuted the church and martyred nine bishops?
3. Where is the body of Cuthbert buried, according to Bede's record?
4. What were two things that Bede said he avoided in the prologue?
5. What kind of battles does Farmer report the church leaders in "The Age of Bede" fought?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Stephanus claim that King Egfrith and his queen, Iurminburgh, conspired to remove Wilfred from his position as bishop?
2. What does Farmer cite as the earliest work of "The Age of Bede," and what makes it different from the other four texts?
3. To whom was Stephanus being obedient with his record of "The Life of Wilfred"?
4. What are the five texts that make up the "Age of Bede"?
5. Why does Farmer consider "The Voyage of St. Brendan" an important text in "The Age of Bede"?
6. Who does Bede report presided over a great synod that selected Cuthbert as Bishop of Lindisfarne?
7. How does Stephanus report King Theodoric of the Franks rejected a letter requesting Wilfred be returned dead or alive to his see to face trial?
8. Why does Farmer consider the lives of the men profiled in "The Age of Bede" important to the Christian history of their region?
9. Who does Bede claim chastised Cuthbert as a youth for indulging in childish games when God had a plan for his life?
10. What unique power does Bede claim that Cuthbert's prayers held?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)