|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many texts does D.H. Farmer report in the Introduction comprise "The Age of Bede"?
2. What were the reasons that Stephanus gave for Wilfrid deciding to bring a dead child back to life in the village of On Tiddanufri?
(a) Wilfrid knew that such a miracle would bring many pagans to Christ.
(b) Wilfrid sought to use the miracle to affirm the power of Christ in the village that was back sliding.
(c) Wilfrid used the miracle to frighten off pagans who were gathering to kill him.
(d) Wilfrid had no doubt about the power of Christ and was impressed by the faith of the mother.
3. Who kept Wilfrid until Stephanus claimed he could meet with suitable travelers as he began his journey to St. Peter's see?
(a) Archbishop Dalfinus.
(b) Queen Eanfled's cousin, King Erconberht of Kent.
(c) Bishop Agilberht.
(d) Biscop Baducing.
4. Who does Stephanus claim introduced Wilfrid to the Pope?
(a) Bishop Baducing.
(b) Archbishop Dalfinus.
(c) Boniface the archdeacon.
(d) Bishop Colman.
5. What does Bede claim came of the person to whom Cuthbert prophesied his death?
(a) Cuthbert blessed him and he lived many years after receiving the prophesy.
(b) He passed the story of Cuthbert's death to Bede.
(c) He was made abbot of lindisfarne.
(d) He died at the same time as Cuthbert.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Cuthbert was traveling with a boy during a preaching tour in Chapter 12, how did Bede report that Cuthbert prophesied their food would be provided?
2. Where does Farmer claim that the earliest surviving manuscript of "Navigatio" was written?
3. What did Bede claim to be Cuthbert's preoccupation when he was still eight years old?
4. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
5. Why was Cuthbert inspired to rise from his sickbed in Chapter 8, according to Bede?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Stephanus report King Theodoric of the Franks rejected a letter requesting Wilfred be returned dead or alive to his see to face trial?
2. Why did Bede claim that he wrote "The Life of Cuthbert"?
3. What statement does Stephanus write to defend the facts he reports in "The Life of Wilfred"?
4. Who does Bede cite as helping him revise the text of "The Life of Cuthbert"?
5. To whom did Bede write "The Life of Cuthbert"?
6. Who does Bede credit with healing Cuthbert from a childhood disease that made him lame?
7. Why does Farmer consider Bede's "Lives of the Abbots" historically significant?
8. Why does Stephanus claim that King Egfrith and his queen, Iurminburgh, conspired to remove Wilfred from his position as bishop?
9. What was the debate that Wilfred conducted with Bishop Colman, and what does Stephanus suggest it led to?
10. What are the five texts that make up the "Age of Bede"?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)