|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bede claim Cuthbert kept birds from eating the barley crop he grew as he lived in isolation as a monk?
(a) He said, ". . . If God has given you permission, then do as He bade you: if not, be off with you, . . ."
(b) He said, "God will banish your souls to condemnation should you be robbing from His anointed."
(c) He invented the scarecrow.
(d) He kept a week-long prayer and fast to appeal to God to deliver his crops from the offending birds.
2. Where is the body of Cuthbert buried, according to Bede's record?
(a) In the pasture that he kept during his time as a hermit.
(b) In the catacombs of Wearmouth monastery.
(c) At the bottom of the lake where he kept many prayer vigils.
(d) In a stone coffin on the right side of the altar in the church of the Blessed Apostle Peter.
3. What institution does Farmer suggest was responsible for the growth of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) The family.
(b) The Nobility.
(c) The Clergy.
(d) The government.
4. How old was Wilfrid when Stephanus reported he left home to seek the kingdom of Heaven?
5. What text does Bede report that Boisil recommended to Cuthbert?
(a) The Epistle of St. James, the brother of Jesus.
(b) The Gospel of Luke.
(c) St. John the Evangelist.
(d) The Epistles of St. Peter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Over what issue did Wilfrid debate Bishop Colman according to Stephanus?
2. Who was the king who Stephanus reported to follow Wilfrid's guidance to win victories over the Picts and Mercia?
3. What does Farmer claim draws readers across the ages to the lives profiled in "The Age of Bede"?
4. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
5. For what two countries does Farmer claim "The Age of Bede" to be an important source of early Christian Church history?
Short Essay Questions
1. What action does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith took when he decided he was too old to be a good example to his followers?
2. According to Farmer in the Introduction, how did Irish monasteries become established?
3. Why did Bede claim that Benedict passed on the land that King Oswiu awarded him as a thane of Oswiu's kingdom?
4. From whom did Bede record the details of Cuthbert's death?
5. When Benedict and Sigrith were confined to their beds due to illness, what responsibility does the anonymous writer report Benedict passed to Ceolfrith?
6. Who does Bede credit with healing Cuthbert from a childhood disease that made him lame?
7. What was the debate that Wilfred conducted with Bishop Colman, and what does Stephanus suggest it led to?
8. Who provided the land for which a church and monastery could be built by Ceolfrith and Benedict according to the anonymous writer?
9. In what practice did Ceolfrith train new monks and priests, according to the anonymous writer?
10. How far does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith got on his last pilgrimage to Rome?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)