|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Farmer claim to be the name of the author of the "Navigatio"?
(a) Eddius Stephanus.
2. For what two countries does Farmer claim "The Age of Bede" to be an important source of early Christian Church history?
(a) England and France.
(b) Ireland and The Netherlands.
(c) England and Ireland.
(d) Rome and Ireland.
3. Who does Bede report gave Cuthbert a cure for a tumor on his knee?
(a) An angel carrying a gold trumpet.
(b) Three strangers who were travelling through his town.
(c) The village doctor.
(d) An angel dressed in white riding a horse.
4. Who does Stephanus claim taught Wilfrid the rules of Easter while he was in this city?
(a) Archbishop Dalfinus.
(b) Archbishop Dalfinus.
(c) Bishop Baducing.
(d) Bishop Colman.
5. What miracle does Stephanus report that Wilfrid performed during the construction of the church at Hexham?
(a) He prayed for the health of the workers and all of them kept their health throughout the project.
(b) He healed through prayer a workman who fell from working on the highest part of the walls in the church.
(c) He prayed over a pile of stones used in the construction and the pile was not exhausted until the church was completed.
(d) He prayed for God's provision of favorable weather and the project did not lose a day due to foul weather.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the quote from the Psalms that Bede used to support God's hand in the event?
2. What miracle did Cuthbert perform when he brought the Holy Ghost to a village that could only provide tents for him and his retinue?
3. Which document by Bede, according to Farmer, acts as a biography and a local history?
4. What did Bede claim to be Cuthbert's preoccupation when he was still eight years old?
5. What were two things that Bede said he avoided in the prologue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the debate that Wilfred conducted with Bishop Colman, and what does Stephanus suggest it led to?
2. Why does Farmer consider the lives of the men profiled in "The Age of Bede" important to the Christian history of their region?
3. From whom did Bede record the details of Cuthbert's death?
4. What does Farmer cite as the earliest work of "The Age of Bede," and what makes it different from the other four texts?
5. Why does Farmer consider Bede's "Lives of the Abbots" historically significant?
6. Who does Bede claim chastised Cuthbert as a youth for indulging in childish games when God had a plan for his life?
7. Why was Wilfred sent to prison, according to Stephanus?
8. What miracle does Stephanus report occurred during the birth of Wilfred?
9. Who does Stephanus credit with introducing Wilfred to the pope and teaching him the rules of Easter?
10. Why does Farmer consider "The Voyage of St. Brendan" an important text in "The Age of Bede"?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)