|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of battles does Farmer report the church leaders in "The Age of Bede" fought?
(a) Spiritual battles against invisible diabolical enemies.
(b) Political battles against corrupt kings.
(c) Economic battles against land owners who sought land on which churches were built.
(d) Physical battles against pagans seeking to dismantle Christian influences.
2. Which document by Bede, according to Farmer, acts as a biography and a local history?
(a) "The History of Abbot Ceolfrith."
(b) "Lives of the Abbots."
(c) "The Life of Cuthbert."
(d) "The Life of Wilfrid."
3. What does Bede report Cuthbert used to cure a sick servant to a bodyguard of King Ecgfrith?
(a) A poltice delivered to him by an angel on horseback.
(b) Prayer and fasting.
(c) A salve brought to him by two otters.
(d) Water he blessed.
4. What does Farmer identify as the basic theme of the "Navigatio"?
(a) The cleansing influence of virtue.
(b) The quest for paradise on earth.
(c) The miraculous power of prayer.
(d) The healing mysteries of faith.
5. What were Brendan's most important monasteries, according to Farmer?
(a) Clonfert, Annadown, Inishadroum, and Ardfert.
(b) Northumbria, Whitby, Inishadroum, and Jarrow.
(c) Wearmouth, Jarrow, Lindisfarne, and Melrose.
(d) Annadown, Christendom, Confert, and Melrose.
Short Answer Questions
1. After his debate with Bishop Colman won him acclaim, what does Stephanus report came of Wilfrid?
2. For what two countries does Farmer claim "The Age of Bede" to be an important source of early Christian Church history?
3. What was the quote from the Psalms that Bede used to support God's hand in the event?
4. What came of a phantom fire that came upon a village while Bede reports that Cuthbert was teaching on the distractions of the devil?
5. Who was the wicked queen who Stephanus wrote persecuted the church and martyred nine bishops?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bede report a monk witnessed when he followed Cuthbert to spy on an evening prayer vigil?
2. Why does Farmer consider the lives of the men profiled in "The Age of Bede" important to the Christian history of their region?
3. How does Stephanus report King Theodoric of the Franks rejected a letter requesting Wilfred be returned dead or alive to his see to face trial?
4. What is Farmer's closing opinion of the texts of "The Age of Bede"?
5. From whom did Bede record the details of Cuthbert's death?
6. What statement does Stephanus write to defend the facts he reports in "The Life of Wilfred"?
7. According to Farmer, why is Stephanus's "Life of Wilfrid" unique among all literature?
8. What are the five texts that make up the "Age of Bede"?
9. Why did Bede claim that he wrote "The Life of Cuthbert"?
10. How did Cuthbert drive away crows that were invading the crops he grew while he was living as a hermit, according to Bede?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)