|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term does Farmer use to identify a community of monks?
(b) The Holy Knights.
(c) The Royal Order.
(d) The Holy Priesthood.
2. Which duke of Theodoric petitioned the king over the land Wilfrid where was preaching to have Wilfrid sent to him dead or alive, according to Stephanus?
3. In what city did Stephanus report Wilfrid's traveling companion leave him after they started their journey to St. Peter's?
4. Which document by Bede, according to Farmer, acts as a biography and a local history?
(a) "The Life of Wilfrid."
(b) "Lives of the Abbots."
(c) "The History of Abbot Ceolfrith."
(d) "The Life of Cuthbert."
5. How was Cuthbert's Friday fast broken on one occasion at the vesper's hour according to Bede?
(a) Otters brought him a meal of fish from the sea.
(b) Cuthbert's horse pulled on a straw from the roof where he rested that was connected to a bundle of food from God.
(c) An angel disgused as an old man fixed him a meal of rice and cakes.
(d) Birds brought him bread from a far land.
Short Answer Questions
1. After he listened to the chastisement, what does Bede report to be Cuthbert's response?
2. Who does Stephanus claim taught Wilfrid the rules of Easter while he was in this city?
3. After his debate with Bishop Colman won him acclaim, what does Stephanus report came of Wilfrid?
4. What does Farmer report came of Cuthbert after he spent many years in a monastery?
5. How does Bede claim Cuthbert kept birds from eating the barley crop he grew as he lived in isolation as a monk?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Farmer consider the lives of the men profiled in "The Age of Bede" important to the Christian history of their region?
2. According to Farmer, why is Stephanus's "Life of Wilfrid" unique among all literature?
3. When and where does Farmer write the saints covered in "The Age of Bede" lived?
4. Who does Stephanus claim supported Wilfred's desire to visit St. Peter's in Rome?
5. What statement does Stephanus write to defend the facts he reports in "The Life of Wilfred"?
6. Why did Bede claim that he wrote "The Life of Cuthbert"?
7. Why was Wilfred sent to prison, according to Stephanus?
8. How does Stephanus report King Theodoric of the Franks rejected a letter requesting Wilfred be returned dead or alive to his see to face trial?
9. From whom did Bede record the details of Cuthbert's death?
10. Who does Bede report presided over a great synod that selected Cuthbert as Bishop of Lindisfarne?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)