|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Wilfrid when Stephanus reported he left home to seek the kingdom of Heaven?
2. For what two countries does Farmer claim "The Age of Bede" to be an important source of early Christian Church history?
(a) Ireland and The Netherlands.
(b) England and France.
(c) England and Ireland.
(d) Rome and Ireland.
3. Who was the wicked queen who Stephanus wrote persecuted the church and martyred nine bishops?
4. After his debate with Bishop Colman won him acclaim, what does Stephanus report came of Wilfrid?
(a) Wilfrid was elected to the episcopacy.
(b) Wilfrid was ordained as a priest.
(c) Wilfrid was appointed abbot.
(d) Wilfrid became a Bishop.
5. Where is the body of Cuthbert buried, according to Bede's record?
(a) In a stone coffin on the right side of the altar in the church of the Blessed Apostle Peter.
(b) In the pasture that he kept during his time as a hermit.
(c) At the bottom of the lake where he kept many prayer vigils.
(d) In the catacombs of Wearmouth monastery.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Cuthbert respond to converts who were falling away from the faith, according to Bede?
2. What does Farmer claim to be the name of the author of the "Navigatio"?
3. To what biblical story does Stephanus compare the event that preceded the battle between Wilfrid's party and the pagans?
4. Who does Stephanus report restored Wilfrid to his see?
5. What does Farmer claim to be the document that the earliest monk wrote?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Bede claim that he wrote "The Life of Cuthbert"?
2. What unique power does Bede claim that Cuthbert's prayers held?
3. Who does Stephanus credit with introducing Wilfred to the pope and teaching him the rules of Easter?
4. What does Farmer cite as the earliest work of "The Age of Bede," and what makes it different from the other four texts?
5. What does Bede report a monk witnessed when he followed Cuthbert to spy on an evening prayer vigil?
6. What is Farmer's closing opinion of the texts of "The Age of Bede"?
7. To whom was Stephanus being obedient with his record of "The Life of Wilfred"?
8. Who does Bede cite as helping him revise the text of "The Life of Cuthbert"?
9. Who does Bede claim chastised Cuthbert as a youth for indulging in childish games when God had a plan for his life?
10. What was the debate that Wilfred conducted with Bishop Colman, and what does Stephanus suggest it led to?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)