|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Cuthbert inspired to rise from his sickbed in Chapter 8, according to Bede?
(a) Because he knew that God would provide him strength to carry out ministry.
(b) Because he desired to be an inspiration to those in need.
(c) Because he knew that God had certainly heard the prayers of the monks praying for him.
(d) Because he did not want to neglect the responsibility God had put before him.
2. Why did a demon leave the wife of Sheriff Hildmer as he and Cuthbert approached his home, according to Bede?
(a) The angels that always walked ahead of Cuthbert battled the angels as the wife of the sheriff slept.
(b) Because the demon realized that God would come at Cuthbert's call.
(c) The demon could not stand the approaching of the Holy Spirit that resided in Cuthbert.
(d) Because Cuthbert had prayed that God would remove the demon before the Sheriff had returned to his home.
3. What animal does Bede claim ministered to Cuthbert after he spent a night in prayer in the water off the sea shore?
(a) Two otters.
(b) A fawn.
(c) An eagle.
(d) A dog.
4. In what city did Stephanus report Wilfrid's traveling companion leave him after they started their journey to St. Peter's?
5. Farmer asserts that the "Navigatio" is a fascinating mixture of what?
(a) Intrigue, sound doctrine, and drama.
(b) Fact, fantasy, and literary borrowing.
(c) History, fact, and economic theory.
(d) Fantasy, doctrine, and mystery.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what book does Bede refer for support of other angels who rode on horseback?
2. The saints who are detailed in "The Age of Bede" lived in what two centuries according to Farmer?
3. To what biblical story does Stephanus compare the event that preceded the battle between Wilfrid's party and the pagans?
4. Who does Stephanus report led a synod which was actually a trap to take the properties that were under Wilfrid's authority?
5. What was Wilfrid's destination when he left his home, according to Stephanus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Farmer identify as the two subjects from "The Age of Bede" who were from Northumbria?
2. Why does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith accompanied Benedict on a trip to Rome?
3. Why does Stephanus claim that King Egfrith and his queen, Iurminburgh, conspired to remove Wilfred from his position as bishop?
4. Who does Bede claim chastised Cuthbert as a youth for indulging in childish games when God had a plan for his life?
5. To whom was Stephanus being obedient with his record of "The Life of Wilfred"?
6. Who does Bede credit with healing Cuthbert from a childhood disease that made him lame?
7. For what does the anonymous writer claim that Brendan was renowned?
8. Where did Benedict learn his practice of Christianity, according to Bede?
9. According to Farmer in the Introduction, how did Irish monasteries become established?
10. Why was Wilfred sent to prison, according to Stephanus?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)