|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sign does Stephanus claim was sent to prove that God intended Wilfred to be a saint?
(a) God brought defeat to kings who opposed him.
(b) The seas were calmed after storms shiprwrecked his party.
(c) God sent an angel to protect the monastery at Oundle.
(d) He brought a baby back from death.
2. What sign does Stephanus claim that God used to indicate that Wilfrid would serve him in the future?
(a) An angel disguised as a horseman helped with Wilfrid's delivery.
(b) A fiery demon was chased from his village by a torrent provided by God.
(c) Birds gathered to sing praises to God as Wilfrid was born.
(d) The house where he was being born caught fire but was not consumed.
3. As Cuthbert was traveling with a boy during a preaching tour in Chapter 12, how did Bede report that Cuthbert prophesied their food would be provided?
(a) By an eagle.
(b) By a fawn.
(c) By two otters.
(d) By a dog.
4. What official does Farmer report presided over the community of monks?
(a) The Cardinals.
(b) The regional bishop.
(c) A local abbot.
(d) The Pope.
5. What does Farmer claim draws readers across the ages to the lives profiled in "The Age of Bede"?
(a) The mystical accounting of miracles.
(b) The colorful detail with which the ancient times are reported.
(c) The accurate history of various leaders in the region.
(d) The ideals and the scale of values of "The Age of Bede's" great men.
Short Answer Questions
1. After his debate with Bishop Colman won him acclaim, what does Stephanus report came of Wilfrid?
2. To whom did Cuthbert prophesy his own death, according to Bede?
3. What does Bede report Cuthbert used to cure a sick servant to a bodyguard of King Ecgfrith?
4. Who was finally found to travel to St. Peter's with Wilfrid, according to Stephanus?
5. What animal does Bede claim ministered to Cuthbert after he spent a night in prayer in the water off the sea shore?
Short Essay Questions
1. From whom did Bede record the details of Cuthbert's death?
2. What does Bede report a monk witnessed when he followed Cuthbert to spy on an evening prayer vigil?
3. What did the anonymous writer report to be surrounding Judas Iscariot when Brendan's party came upon him?
4. What is Farmer's closing opinion of the texts of "The Age of Bede"?
5. What manual trade does Bede report Benedict brought to England during construction of the monastery at the north bank at the mouth of the Wear River?
6. Why does the anonymous writer of "The History of Abbot Ceolfrith" claim he wrote the book?
7. For what cause did the anonymous writer report that Brendan selected 14 monks?
8. Who does Bede credit with healing Cuthbert from a childhood disease that made him lame?
9. Why was Wilfred sent to prison, according to Stephanus?
10. Why did Bede claim that he wrote "The Life of Cuthbert"?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)