|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After he listened to the chastisement, what does Bede report to be Cuthbert's response?
(a) He forsook foolish games immediately and showed himself to be more mature and earnest.
(b) He began working harder on his chants to serve the worship needs of his town.
(c) He stopped spending so much time adventuring and devoted himself more seriously to studying the Bible.
(d) He began studying writing more seriously to produce works fit for public consumption.
2. What miracle does Stephanus report that Wilfrid performed during the construction of the church at Hexham?
(a) He prayed for the health of the workers and all of them kept their health throughout the project.
(b) He healed through prayer a workman who fell from working on the highest part of the walls in the church.
(c) He prayed over a pile of stones used in the construction and the pile was not exhausted until the church was completed.
(d) He prayed for God's provision of favorable weather and the project did not lose a day due to foul weather.
3. When Wilfrid's ship had run aground on the English shore and was surrounded by pagans, what event does Stephanus report occurred that preceded a battle between Wilfrid's party and the pagans?
(a) Wilfrid called down angels to ward off a curse from a pagan wizard.
(b) One of Wilfrid's companions killed the pagan's wizard with a stone blessed by the party from the ship.
(c) A legion of angels protected Wilfrid's companions from an attack led by a pagan wizard.
(d) Wilfrid blessed a stone that he used to heal a companion cursed by a pagan wizard.
4. Where does Farmer claim that the earliest surviving manuscript of "Navigatio" was written?
(a) At the monastery at St. Maximin.
(b) At the monastery at Inishadroum.
(c) At the monastery at Wearmouth.
(d) At the monastery at Melrose.
5. Who did Bede report reviewed and revised his work?
(a) The Priest Herefrith.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Stephanus report led a synod which was actually a trap to take the properties that were under Wilfrid's authority?
2. Why was Cuthbert inspired to rise from his sickbed in Chapter 8, according to Bede?
3. Whose record of Cuthbert's death did Bede use?
4. Who does Farmer credit with writing the earliest "Life of Cuthbert"?
5. Of what does Stephanus claim Wilfrid accused English bishops prior to his journey to Gaul?
Short Essay Questions
1. From whom did Bede record the details of Cuthbert's death?
2. Who does Bede cite as helping him revise the text of "The Life of Cuthbert"?
3. What are the five texts that make up the "Age of Bede"?
4. Why was Wilfred sent to prison, according to Stephanus?
5. Who does Stephanus claim supported Wilfred's desire to visit St. Peter's in Rome?
6. What miracle does Stephanus report occurred during the birth of Wilfred?
7. What unique power does Bede claim that Cuthbert's prayers held?
8. When and where does Farmer write the saints covered in "The Age of Bede" lived?
9. Who does Bede report presided over a great synod that selected Cuthbert as Bishop of Lindisfarne?
10. What is Farmer's closing opinion of the texts of "The Age of Bede"?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)