|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bede claim Cuthbert kept birds from eating the barley crop he grew as he lived in isolation as a monk?
(a) He said, ". . . If God has given you permission, then do as He bade you: if not, be off with you, . . ."
(b) He invented the scarecrow.
(c) He kept a week-long prayer and fast to appeal to God to deliver his crops from the offending birds.
(d) He said, "God will banish your souls to condemnation should you be robbing from His anointed."
2. What miracle does Stephanus report that Wilfrid performed during the construction of the church at Hexham?
(a) He prayed for the health of the workers and all of them kept their health throughout the project.
(b) He healed through prayer a workman who fell from working on the highest part of the walls in the church.
(c) He prayed over a pile of stones used in the construction and the pile was not exhausted until the church was completed.
(d) He prayed for God's provision of favorable weather and the project did not lose a day due to foul weather.
3. What text does Bede report that Boisil recommended to Cuthbert?
(a) The Epistles of St. Peter.
(b) The Epistle of St. James, the brother of Jesus.
(c) St. John the Evangelist.
(d) The Gospel of Luke.
4. After he listened to the chastisement, what does Bede report to be Cuthbert's response?
(a) He stopped spending so much time adventuring and devoted himself more seriously to studying the Bible.
(b) He began working harder on his chants to serve the worship needs of his town.
(c) He began studying writing more seriously to produce works fit for public consumption.
(d) He forsook foolish games immediately and showed himself to be more mature and earnest.
5. Who granted Wilfrid to preach in his first destination after being chased from his see?
(a) King Aldgisi.
(b) King Ecgfrith.
(c) King Perctarit.
(d) King Dagobert.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Farmer claim to be the name of the author of the "Navigatio"?
2. Who does Stephanus claim taught Wilfrid the rules of Easter while he was in this city?
3. What were two things that Bede said he avoided in the prologue?
4. What was Wilfrid's destination when he left his home, according to Stephanus?
5. What were Brendan's most important monasteries, according to Farmer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Cuthbert drive away crows that were invading the crops he grew while he was living as a hermit, according to Bede?
2. What are the five texts that make up the "Age of Bede"?
3. When and where does Farmer write the saints covered in "The Age of Bede" lived?
4. What is Farmer's closing opinion of the texts of "The Age of Bede"?
5. What does Farmer cite as the earliest work of "The Age of Bede," and what makes it different from the other four texts?
6. According to Farmer, why is Stephanus's "Life of Wilfrid" unique among all literature?
7. Who does Stephanus credit with introducing Wilfred to the pope and teaching him the rules of Easter?
8. Who does Farmer identify as the two subjects from "The Age of Bede" who were from Northumbria?
9. To whom was Stephanus being obedient with his record of "The Life of Wilfred"?
10. Why does Stephanus claim that King Egfrith and his queen, Iurminburgh, conspired to remove Wilfred from his position as bishop?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)