|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who confirmed the choice of Ceolfrith's replacement, according to Bede?
(d) Bishop Acca.
2. Who did Bede report Benedict appointed as abbot over the foundation he started?
3. What does the anonymous author report Brendan's traveling party found during the walks around the island?
(a) A hermit named Paul.
(b) The Pearl of Great Price.
(c) Several flocks of sheep.
(d) A table laid for a meal.
4. Who donated the land for Benedict to build a monastery in Northumbria, according to Bede?
(a) The Holy Synod.
(b) King Egfrid.
(c) King Dagobert.
(d) King Ecgfrith.
5. Upon their second meeting of the creatures who were fallen angels, what was announced to Brendan and his party, according to the anonymous author?
(a) Their voyage was nearly over.
(b) God would take them safely home.
(c) Brendan and his party would spend a year at four different places that were to represent the four seasons of the year.
(d) Brendan and his party would come to what appeared to be a rocky island, but was not.
6. What apostle and New Testament book does the anonymous author on the history of Ceolfrith cite as his inspiration for writing the book.
(a) He cites the Apostle Paul's letters to the Corinthians.
(b) He cites the Gospel of John.
(c) He cites the Apostle Paul's letter to the Hebrews.
(d) He cites the epistles of St. Peter.
7. What was Brendan's warning as they left the island?
(a) "Take care, brethren, not to take anything with you from this island."
(b) "Keep watch for rocks that will destroy our ship."
(c) "Be on your guard, brethren, lest Satan lead you into temptation."
(d) "Do not let your desire for the physical overcome your need for the Holy."
8. On what date does the anonymous author report Ceolfrith boarded a ship to cross the sea to Gaul?
(a) June 4.
(b) August 12.
(c) July 14.
(d) July 4.
9. Why did Brendan chastise his fellow travelers for putting their flasks into streams running from the island to quench their thirst, according to the anonymous writer?
(a) Because he had seen corpses on the bank.
(b) Because he had a dream that demons had led them to a poisoned stream.
(c) Because it was clear that they had come upon a stagnant lake.
(d) Because God had not shown them a way to land on the Island.
10. What did Bede report Benedict brought back to Britain after his third trip to Rome?
(a) Scholars who were trained in the interpretation of Scripture.
(b) A large number of books on all branches of sacred knowledge.
(c) A cantor named John who introduced the order of chanting and singing the Psalms to Britain.
(d) Icons from the tombs of saints to aid in the performance of miracles.
11. Who does Bede write about as the abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow?
(a) Benedict, Ceolfrith, Eosterwine, Sigfrith, and Hwaetberht.
(b) Ceolfrith, Eosterwine, Cuthbert, and Colman.
(c) Benedict, Cuthbert, Wilfrid, and Brendan.
(d) Benedict, Ceolfrith, Ahlfrid, and Ecgfrith.
12. Who does the anonymous author claim provided Brendan's traveling party with food as it left this island?
(a) A dog.
(b) A hermit named Paul.
(c) A man with an aura of shining light.
(d) A young man carrying a basket of bread.
13. Who returned a letter of thanks for the gift the monks delivered to Rome according to the anonymous author?
(a) Archbishop Berhtwald.
(b) Pope Gregory.
(c) Archdeacon Boniface.
(d) Pope Agatho.
14. To whom was the letter addressed?
15. Who welcomed Ceolfrith in Gaul, according to the anonymous author?
(a) King Egfrid.
(b) King Hilperic.
(c) King Ecgfrith.
(d) King Aldfrid.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Brendan said he and his son landed the boat in which they took their trip, how long did they walk on the island before without reaching the furthest shore from their landing, according to the anonymous writer?
2. To where had Bredan's son fled to live the life of a hermit with other monks, according to the story recorded by the anonymous author?
3. From whom did Bede claim Benedict bought the unique collection during his fifth trip to Rome?
4. What does Bede record to be Benedict's orders regarding the books he had brought back from his several trips to Rome?
5. What practice did Ceolfrith pass on to the monks who joined him in building the new monastery?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)