|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Upon their second meeting of the creatures who were fallen angels, what was announced to Brendan and his party, according to the anonymous author?
(a) Brendan and his party would spend a year at four different places that were to represent the four seasons of the year.
(b) God would take them safely home.
(c) Their voyage was nearly over.
(d) Brendan and his party would come to what appeared to be a rocky island, but was not.
2. How does the anonymous author claim Brendan's party finally arrived to the island they had been seeking?
(a) They rowed vigorously for 40 days.
(b) They were carried by angels after winds had died.
(c) By riding on the back of a whale.
(d) A fair wind sprang up and saved them from being overtaxed by the effort of rowing.
3. After the guide brought them to a vast hall with couches and water to wash their feet, what does the anonymous writer report that Brendan said?
(a) "Thank God from whom all good things flow . . ."
(b) "Be on your guard, brethren, lest Satan lead you into temptation . . ."
(c) "Do not let your desire for the physical overcome your need for the Holy . . ."
(d) "God has provided for our needs . . ."
4. Who does the anonymous author credit with providing master builders for the monastery that Ceolfrith helped to build?
(a) Abbot Torthelm.
(b) Bishop Wilford.
(d) Abbot Botulf.
5. What custom arose from the burial of Ceolfrith?
(a) Praying the Psalms prior to kneeling at Ceolfrith's tomb.
(b) Wearing black for mourning.
(c) Placing flowers on a grave.
(d) Having a celebration with friends which eventually became known as a wake.
6. Who met Brendan and his son during their journey?
(a) A man with an aura of shining light.
(b) A dog that led them to their provisions.
(c) A hermit named Paul.
(d) A young man carrying a basket of bread.
7. On what date does the anonymous author report Ceolfrith boarded a ship to cross the sea to Gaul?
(a) August 12.
(b) July 4.
(c) July 14.
(d) June 4.
8. What was the method that Bede writes Ceolfrith chose for a new abbot to be chosen to replace him?
(a) He devoted a series of fasts that lasted for 40 days.
(b) The brethren of the monasteries were required to choose one of their members.
(c) He devoted a season of prayer seeking divine guidance.
(d) He conferred with representatives of the pope.
9. When does the anonymous author record Brendan's traveling party landed on the island?
(a) Maundy Thursday.
(b) Easter Sunday.
(c) Christmas day.
(d) Good Friday.
10. How did the anonymous author claim that Ceolfrith came to study for the priesthood?
(a) He was appointed by his cousin Tunbert.
(b) He was appointed by Abbot Botulf.
(c) He was appointed by his Bishop Wilford.
(d) He was appointed by his brother Cynefrith.
11. From what royal family does Bede claim Benedict descended?
(a) The Theodoric lineage.
(b) The Angle lineage.
(c) The Windsor lineage.
(d) The Egfrid Lineage.
12. Who returned a letter of thanks for the gift the monks delivered to Rome according to the anonymous author?
(a) Archbishop Berhtwald.
(b) Archdeacon Boniface.
(c) Pope Agatho.
(d) Pope Gregory.
13. What was Benedict's council to those who visited him while he suffered his illness, according to Bede?
(a) That they study scripture regularly.
(b) That the ordinances he passed to them were not of his creation.
(c) That they guard the monasteries at Wearmouth and Jarrow.
(d) That they devote themselves to fasting and prayer.
14. Who does Bede report provided the land for St. Peter's Monastery?
(a) King Ecgfrith.
(b) The Holy Synod.
(c) King Dagobert.
(d) King Egfrid.
15. How many monks did the anonymous author report Ceolfrith left behind at his monasteries?
Short Answer Questions
1. How was the light for the island provided in the story the anonymous writer recorded from Brendan?
2. What was Brendan's warning as they left the island?
3. How often did the traveling party eat on the journey away from the island?
4. Where does the anonymous author report Ceolfrith was buried?
5. How did a dignified old man communicate to Brendan's party while observing a vow of silence, according to the anonymous author?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)