|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the anonymous author claim that King Egfrith donated the resources for building another church and monastery?
(a) To show appreciation to Ceolfrith for healing his wife.
(b) To set an example of the support his subjects should give to Christianity.
(c) For the redemption of his soul.
(d) To bring the blessings of God on his reign.
2. What was announced to Brendan's party would come after seven years from the announcement by the fallen angels, according to the anonymous author?
(a) They would find themselves right back where they started.
(b) God would take them to Paradise.
(c) The party would find the Land of Promise of the Saints.
(d) They would finally take possession of the Pearl of Great Price.
3. What does Bede record to be Benedict's orders regarding the books he had brought back from his several trips to Rome?
(a) That they be returned to Rome and the collection from which they were borrowed.
(b) That they be kept as a single collection and not broken up piecemeal.
(c) That they be offered to the Bishop so he could consider the best use of collection.
(d) That copied and spread throughout the monasteries of England.
4. What was Brendan's warning as they left the island?
(a) "Keep watch for rocks that will destroy our ship."
(b) "Be on your guard, brethren, lest Satan lead you into temptation."
(c) "Do not let your desire for the physical overcome your need for the Holy."
(d) "Take care, brethren, not to take anything with you from this island."
5. How did the anonymous author claim that Ceolfrith came to study for the priesthood?
(a) He was appointed by his cousin Tunbert.
(b) He was appointed by his Bishop Wilford.
(c) He was appointed by his brother Cynefrith.
(d) He was appointed by Abbot Botulf.
6. Who returned a letter of thanks for the gift the monks delivered to Rome according to the anonymous author?
(a) Pope Agatho.
(b) Archbishop Berhtwald.
(c) Archdeacon Boniface.
(d) Pope Gregory.
7. What did the anonymous author report that Brendan said a rocky island that had no sand on its beach actually was?
(a) A trick played on them by demons.
(b) The Turtle of Truth.
(c) The greatest of all creatures that swim, called Jasconius.
(d) The back of Satan.
8. What does Bede trace as Eosterwine's relationship to Benedict?
(a) They were theological rivals.
(b) They were in-laws.
(c) They were brothers.
(d) They were cousins.
9. When does the anonymous author record Brendan's traveling party landed on the island?
(a) Easter Sunday.
(b) Christmas day.
(c) Maundy Thursday.
(d) Good Friday.
10. What does the anonymous writer claim came into view after the ship ran out of food?
(a) A lush, forested island.
(b) A deserted island.
(c) A whale.
(d) A high rocky island.
11. Who had prophesied that Brendan would die upon his return to his monastery, according to the anonymous author?
(a) A man with an aura of shining light.
(b) Brendan's son.
(c) The young man on the Island of promise.
(d) A hermit named Paul.
12. Who does the anonymous author credit with providing master builders for the monastery that Ceolfrith helped to build?
(a) Abbot Botulf.
(c) Abbot Torthelm.
(d) Bishop Wilford.
13. What form did fallen angels take on Brendan's journey, according to the anonymous author?
(a) Old men.
14. How long does the Anonymous writer claim Brendan and his party traveled before they ran out of food after they left the destination to which they traveled after the 40 days of fasting?
(a) 7 days.
(b) 40 days.
(c) For a whole year.
(d) 3 days.
15. What apostle and New Testament book does the anonymous author on the history of Ceolfrith cite as his inspiration for writing the book.
(a) He cites the Apostle Paul's letters to the Corinthians.
(b) He cites the Apostle Paul's letter to the Hebrews.
(c) He cites the epistles of St. Peter.
(d) He cites the Gospel of John.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Eosterwine serve as abbot over Wearmouth, according to Bede?
2. To whom was the letter addressed?
3. Where does the anonymous author report Ceolfrith was buried?
4. What practice did Ceolfrith pass on to the monks who joined him in building the new monastery?
5. Who does the anonymous author claim provided Brendan's traveling party with food as it left this island?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)