|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what book from the Bible does Bede claim Benedict took comfort during nights he could not sleep during his illness?
2. When does the anonymous author record Brendan's traveling party landed on the island?
(a) Good Friday.
(b) Maundy Thursday.
(c) Easter Sunday.
(d) Christmas day.
3. What skill was brought from France to Britain as a result of the construction of the monastery in Northumbria, according to Bede?
(a) Block and tackle for the movement of large stones.
(d) Stone cutting.
4. What practice did Ceolfrith pass on to the monks who joined him in building the new monastery?
(a) Copying Bibles, interpreting scripture, and singing the Psalms.
(b) Interpreting scripture and rheotoric.
(c) Copying Bibles and fasting on Fridays.
(d) Singing the Psalms, reading in church, and singing antiphons.
5. Who met Brendan and his son during their journey?
(a) A man with an aura of shining light.
(b) A dog that led them to their provisions.
(c) A hermit named Paul.
(d) A young man carrying a basket of bread.
6. What does Bede trace as Eosterwine's relationship to Benedict?
(a) They were cousins.
(b) They were in-laws.
(c) They were theological rivals.
(d) They were brothers.
7. What monastery construction on the north bank of Wear was funded by Benedict, according to Bede?
(c) St. Peter's Monastery.
8. What does Bede record to be Benedict's orders regarding the books he had brought back from his several trips to Rome?
(a) That they be offered to the Bishop so he could consider the best use of collection.
(b) That copied and spread throughout the monasteries of England.
(c) That they be kept as a single collection and not broken up piecemeal.
(d) That they be returned to Rome and the collection from which they were borrowed.
9. What foundation does Bede credit Benedict with beginning?
10. What apostle and New Testament book does the anonymous author on the history of Ceolfrith cite as his inspiration for writing the book.
(a) He cites the Gospel of John.
(b) He cites the Apostle Paul's letters to the Corinthians.
(c) He cites the epistles of St. Peter.
(d) He cites the Apostle Paul's letter to the Hebrews.
11. What did the anonymous author infer to be Ceolfrith's method of avoiding the plague that took the lives of many monks?
(a) He was fastidious in keeping his residence clean and observed Jewish cleaning laws.
(b) He had secluded himself for a season of prayer.
(c) He had secluded himself as a hermit before the plague hit his region.
(d) He was delayed in Rome finding supplies for the new monastery.
12. How long does the Anonymous writer claim Brendan and his party traveled before they ran out of food after they left the destination to which they traveled after the 40 days of fasting?
(a) 3 days.
(b) 7 days.
(c) For a whole year.
(d) 40 days.
13. How did Brendan's traveling party arrive at the next island?
(a) They rowed vigorously for 40 days.
(b) They were carried on the back of a whale.
(c) They were carried by angels after winds had died.
(d) A fair wind sprang up and saved them from being overtaxed by the effort of rowing.
14. To where did Brendan's son invite him to travel, according to the anonymous writer?
(a) To the Land of Promise of the Saints.
(b) To the Meadow of Miracles.
(c) To the Island of Delights.
(d) To the Valley of Virtue.
15. Why did Benedict name Ceolfrith to be abbot over the two monasteries he helped to build, according to the anonymous author?
(a) Because Ceolfrith was faithful in helping to start other abbeys.
(b) Because Ceolfrith was the best candidate after the plague had caused the death of many monks.
(c) Because both Benedict and the abbot who preceded Ceolfrith, Sigfrith, were on their deathbeds.
(d) Because Ceolfrith showed his grasp of Christian understanding in debates with other monks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the anonymous author claim that King Egfrith donated the resources for building another church and monastery?
2. Who was chosen by the monks to serve as abbot in Ceolfrith's absence, according to the anonymous author?
3. Where does the anonymous author report Ceolfrith was buried?
4. What does the anonymous writer claim came into view after the ship ran out of food?
5. What was the method that Bede writes Ceolfrith chose for a new abbot to be chosen to replace him?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)