|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What form did fallen angels take on Brendan's journey, according to the anonymous author?
(c) Old men.
2. Who does the anonymous writer record God sent to be the guide of Brendan's traveling party after they landed on the island?
(a) A man with an aura of shining light.
(b) A dog.
(c) A hermit named Paul.
(d) A boy with a basket of bread.
3. During their journey, what did they discover surrounded Judas Iscariot?
(a) A great number of demons.
(b) A scroll of condemnation.
(c) Flames of torment.
(d) Cold isolation.
4. Whose death was Ceolfrith compared in the letter from Rome?
(a) Moses and Aaron who died before they could enter the Promised Land.
(b) Noah who died after he had delivered his family through the flood.
(c) St. John who died after he had delivered the Revelation.
(d) Enoch who did not die, but walked with God.
5. To what abbey does Bede report Benedict named Eosterwine?
6. What illness does Bede report came to Benedict shortly after Sigfrith became abbot of Wearmouth?
(b) The plague.
(c) He was taken by consumption.
(d) He suffered creeping paralysis.
7. How did the anonymous author claim that Ceolfrith came to study for the priesthood?
(a) He was appointed by his brother Cynefrith.
(b) He was appointed by his Bishop Wilford.
(c) He was appointed by Abbot Botulf.
(d) He was appointed by his cousin Tunbert.
8. In what book from the Bible does Bede claim Benedict took comfort during nights he could not sleep during his illness?
9. Who does the anonymous author claim presided over the monastery before Ceolfrith joined it?
(a) Ceolfrith's cousin, Tunbert.
(b) Bishop Wilford.
(c) Abbot Botulf.
(d) Ceolfrith's brother, Cynefrith.
10. Who welcomed Ceolfrith in Gaul, according to the anonymous author?
(a) King Ecgfrith.
(b) King Aldfrid.
(c) King Egfrid.
(d) King Hilperic.
11. What does the anonymous author report appeared before the traveling party after it had finished singing on its way back to its boat?
(a) A guide for their direction.
(b) A table laid for a meal.
(c) A fire for their warmth.
(d) A castle for their protection.
12. What foundation does Bede credit Benedict with beginning?
13. Who met Brendan and his son during their journey?
(a) A young man carrying a basket of bread.
(b) A dog that led them to their provisions.
(c) A man with an aura of shining light.
(d) A hermit named Paul.
14. Who does Bede report provided the land for St. Peter's Monastery?
(a) King Dagobert.
(b) The Holy Synod.
(c) King Egfrid.
(d) King Ecgfrith.
15. How did a dignified old man communicate to Brendan's party while observing a vow of silence, according to the anonymous author?
(a) Through sending this thoughts directly to Brendan's mind.
(b) Through angels who kept a close vigil with him.
(c) Through birds who knew his thoughts.
(d) Through hand gestures.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom was the letter addressed?
2. In the story the anonymous writer recorded Brendan told, what did Brendan say his son's name was?
3. What does the anonymous author report Brendan's traveling party found during the walks around the island?
4. To where did Brendan's son invite him to travel, according to the anonymous writer?
5. Why did Benedict name Ceolfrith to be abbot over the two monasteries he helped to build, according to the anonymous author?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)