|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the anonymous author report Brendan's traveling party found during the walks around the island?
(a) A hermit named Paul.
(b) A table laid for a meal.
(c) Several flocks of sheep.
(d) The Pearl of Great Price.
2. What monastery construction on the north bank of Wear was funded by Benedict, according to Bede?
(a) St. Peter's Monastery.
3. How did Brendan's traveling party arrive at the next island?
(a) They were carried by angels after winds had died.
(b) They were carried on the back of a whale.
(c) They rowed vigorously for 40 days.
(d) A fair wind sprang up and saved them from being overtaxed by the effort of rowing.
4. What condition does Bede write affected Sigfrith during his service as abbot?
(a) A lame leg.
(b) A painful and incurable disease of the lungs.
(d) A curved spine.
5. What did some of the monks who buried Ceolfrith take to Rome on his behalf, according to the anonymous author?
(a) A Bible translated from Hebrew and Greek originals according to the interpretation of Priest Jerome.
(b) A painting of Ceolfrith made just prior to his death.
(c) Icons of Ceolfrith to be kept with other holy icons.
(d) A letter to the pope requesting more books of learning for the church.
6. What Psalm did the monks from St. Peter's sing to Ceolfrith as he left on his pilgrimage, according to the anonymous author?
(a) Psalm 66, "May God have mercy on us and bless us, lighten his face and have mercy on us."
(b) Psalm 20, "May the Lord answer you in the day of trouble! May the name of the God of Jacob set you securely on high!"
(c) Psalm 125, "As the Mountains surround Jerusalem, So the Lord surrounds His people."
(d) Psalm 91, "He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty."
7. Why did Benedict name Ceolfrith to be abbot over the two monasteries he helped to build, according to the anonymous author?
(a) Because Ceolfrith was faithful in helping to start other abbeys.
(b) Because both Benedict and the abbot who preceded Ceolfrith, Sigfrith, were on their deathbeds.
(c) Because Ceolfrith showed his grasp of Christian understanding in debates with other monks.
(d) Because Ceolfrith was the best candidate after the plague had caused the death of many monks.
8. After the guide brought them to a vast hall with couches and water to wash their feet, what does the anonymous writer report that Brendan said?
(a) "Do not let your desire for the physical overcome your need for the Holy . . ."
(b) "Be on your guard, brethren, lest Satan lead you into temptation . . ."
(c) "Thank God from whom all good things flow . . ."
(d) "God has provided for our needs . . ."
9. From what royal family does Bede claim Benedict descended?
(a) The Egfrid Lineage.
(b) The Angle lineage.
(c) The Windsor lineage.
(d) The Theodoric lineage.
10. What foundation does Bede credit Benedict with beginning?
11. What was Brendan's warning as they left the island?
(a) "Keep watch for rocks that will destroy our ship."
(b) "Take care, brethren, not to take anything with you from this island."
(c) "Be on your guard, brethren, lest Satan lead you into temptation."
(d) "Do not let your desire for the physical overcome your need for the Holy."
12. How does Bede claim Sigfrid came to be promoted from deacon to abbot after Eosterwine's left his abbey?
(a) He was elected over Hwaetberht.
(b) He was appointed abbot by the remaining brethren at Wearmouth and by Ceolfrith.
(c) The pope named him to the position.
(d) Benedict appointed him.
13. What does the anonymous writer claim came into view after the ship ran out of food?
(a) A deserted island.
(b) A high rocky island.
(c) A lush, forested island.
(d) A whale.
14. How long did Ceolfrith preside over the responsibilities appointed to him by Benedict?
(a) 3 years.
(b) 28 years.
(c) 7 years.
(d) 16 years.
15. How many total years does the anonymous author report that Ceolfrith ruled separately over the monasteries of St. Peter and St. Paul?
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the anonymous author record Brendan's traveling party landed on the island?
2. What does Bede record to be Benedict's orders regarding the books he had brought back from his several trips to Rome?
3. How long did Eosterwine serve as abbot over Wearmouth, according to Bede?
4. What did the anonymous writer record that Brendan claimed they reached as they walked toward the furthest shore of their landing?
5. Who returned a letter of thanks for the gift the monks delivered to Rome according to the anonymous author?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)