|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the anonymous author report that Brendan said a rocky island that had no sand on its beach actually was?
(a) The Turtle of Truth.
(b) The back of Satan.
(c) A trick played on them by demons.
(d) The greatest of all creatures that swim, called Jasconius.
2. What form did fallen angels take on Brendan's journey, according to the anonymous author?
(d) Old men.
3. Who donated the land for Benedict to build a monastery in Northumbria, according to Bede?
(a) King Dagobert.
(b) The Holy Synod.
(c) King Ecgfrith.
(d) King Egfrid.
4. What does the anonymous writer of the "Voyage of St. Brendan" document as Brendan's lineage?
(a) He was Father of Ceolfrith and Cynefrith.
(b) He was brother of Benedict.
(c) He was the son of Findlug, great-grandson of Atla of the line of Eogen.
(d) He was the son of Cuthbert and grandson of Benedict.
5. How long did Ceolfrith preside over the responsibilities appointed to him by Benedict?
(a) 28 years.
(b) 3 years.
(c) 16 years.
(d) 7 years.
6. What did the anonymous author infer to be Ceolfrith's method of avoiding the plague that took the lives of many monks?
(a) He was delayed in Rome finding supplies for the new monastery.
(b) He had secluded himself for a season of prayer.
(c) He was fastidious in keeping his residence clean and observed Jewish cleaning laws.
(d) He had secluded himself as a hermit before the plague hit his region.
7. What example does the anonymous author claim that Ceolfrith took from his brother Cynefrith?
(a) Establishing a work schedule that required all monks spend time copying Bibles.
(b) Requiring all duties to be done before meals were to be shared.
(c) Leaving the care of his monastery to younger men to go on a pilgrimage to Rome in his later years.
(d) Holding the monks under his authority to high moral standards.
8. In the story the anonymous writer recorded Brendan told, what did Brendan say his son's name was?
9. What did the anonymous author report occurred to Ceolfrith on the day he reached Langres on September 25?
(a) He was asked to lead worship at the abbey there.
(b) He died.
(c) He was miraculously freed from bandits who had cornered him on his journey.
(d) He was recived by the Galic king.
10. Why does the anonymous author claim that King Egfrith donated the resources for building another church and monastery?
(a) For the redemption of his soul.
(b) To set an example of the support his subjects should give to Christianity.
(c) To bring the blessings of God on his reign.
(d) To show appreciation to Ceolfrith for healing his wife.
11. What does Bede report came of King Egfrid during Benedict's journey?
(a) Egfrid began distributing his wealth to heirs.
(b) Egfrid was slain.
(c) Egfrid contracted leprosy.
(d) Egfrid came under siege.
12. During their journey, what did they discover surrounded Judas Iscariot?
(a) A scroll of condemnation.
(b) A great number of demons.
(c) Cold isolation.
(d) Flames of torment.
13. How long did the person who met Brendan and his son claim they had been on the island without eating food or drink or taking any sleep?
(a) For a whole year.
(b) 7 days
(c) 3 days.
(d) 40 days.
14. What skill was brought from France to Britain as a result of the construction of the monastery in Northumbria, according to Bede?
(a) Block and tackle for the movement of large stones.
(c) Stone cutting.
15. From what royal family does Bede claim Benedict descended?
(a) The Egfrid Lineage.
(b) The Windsor lineage.
(c) The Angle lineage.
(d) The Theodoric lineage.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what book from the Bible does Bede claim Benedict took comfort during nights he could not sleep during his illness?
2. Who was chosen by the monks to serve as abbot in Ceolfrith's absence, according to the anonymous author?
3. When does the anonymous author record Brendan's traveling party landed on the island?
4. Who did Bede report Benedict appointed as abbot over the foundation he started?
5. To whom was the letter addressed?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)