|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who welcomed Ceolfrith in Gaul, according to the anonymous author?
(a) King Aldfrid.
(b) King Hilperic.
(c) King Egfrid.
(d) King Ecgfrith.
2. What does Bede report came of King Egfrid during Benedict's journey?
(a) Egfrid began distributing his wealth to heirs.
(b) Egfrid contracted leprosy.
(c) Egfrid was slain.
(d) Egfrid came under siege.
3. How does Bede claim Sigfrid came to be promoted from deacon to abbot after Eosterwine's left his abbey?
(a) He was elected over Hwaetberht.
(b) The pope named him to the position.
(c) He was appointed abbot by the remaining brethren at Wearmouth and by Ceolfrith.
(d) Benedict appointed him.
4. What did Bede report Benedict brought back to Britain after his third trip to Rome?
(a) A large number of books on all branches of sacred knowledge.
(b) A cantor named John who introduced the order of chanting and singing the Psalms to Britain.
(c) Scholars who were trained in the interpretation of Scripture.
(d) Icons from the tombs of saints to aid in the performance of miracles.
5. What did the anonymous author report that Brendan said a rocky island that had no sand on its beach actually was?
(a) A trick played on them by demons.
(b) The Turtle of Truth.
(c) The back of Satan.
(d) The greatest of all creatures that swim, called Jasconius.
6. What was the method that Bede writes Ceolfrith chose for a new abbot to be chosen to replace him?
(a) The brethren of the monasteries were required to choose one of their members.
(b) He devoted a series of fasts that lasted for 40 days.
(c) He devoted a season of prayer seeking divine guidance.
(d) He conferred with representatives of the pope.
7. How long did the person who met Brendan and his son claim they had been on the island without eating food or drink or taking any sleep?
(a) For a whole year.
(b) 7 days
(c) 40 days.
(d) 3 days.
8. What unique collection does Bede write that Benedict brought to England from his fifth trip to Rome?
(a) A collection of original copies of manuscripts of the Bible.
(b) A collection of paintings of the life of Christ.
(c) A collection of sheet music on which to focus chants.
(d) Stained glass windows from France.
9. At what age does the anonymous author of Ceolfrith's history claim he became a monk?
10. How were Benedict and Sigfrith able to meet with each other shortly before they died from their illnesses, according to Bede?
(a) Sigfrith was carried to Benedict's room on a stretcher.
(b) They were placed in wheel chairs and wheeled to meet with each other daily.
(c) They were moved to the basement of Wearmouth and spent their remaining days together.
(d) They were kept in the same room in the hospital.
11. Who does Bede report provided the land for St. Peter's Monastery?
(a) King Ecgfrith.
(b) King Dagobert.
(c) The Holy Synod.
(d) King Egfrid.
12. What illness does Bede report came to Benedict shortly after Sigfrith became abbot of Wearmouth?
(a) He suffered creeping paralysis.
(b) He was taken by consumption.
(d) The plague.
13. During their journey, what did they discover surrounded Judas Iscariot?
(a) A scroll of condemnation.
(b) Flames of torment.
(c) A great number of demons.
(d) Cold isolation.
14. To where does the anonymous writer claim that Brendan traveled after he took a series of three day fasts that lasted 40 days?
(a) To the Meadow of Miracles.
(b) To the Valley of Virtue.
(c) To the Island of Delights.
(d) To the island of a holy monk called Enda.
15. Where was the monastery that the anonymous author report Ceolfrith joined?
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom did Bede claim Benedict bought the unique collection during his fifth trip to Rome?
2. On what date does the anonymous author report Ceolfrith boarded a ship to cross the sea to Gaul?
3. To where had Bredan's son fled to live the life of a hermit with other monks, according to the story recorded by the anonymous author?
4. Who was named to rule the monastery shortly before Ceolfrith joined it, according to the anonymous author?
5. What does Bede trace as Eosterwine's relationship to Benedict?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)