|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During their journey, what did they discover surrounded Judas Iscariot?
(a) A scroll of condemnation.
(b) Cold isolation.
(c) Flames of torment.
(d) A great number of demons.
2. Who does Bede write about as the abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow?
(a) Ceolfrith, Eosterwine, Cuthbert, and Colman.
(b) Benedict, Cuthbert, Wilfrid, and Brendan.
(c) Benedict, Ceolfrith, Ahlfrid, and Ecgfrith.
(d) Benedict, Ceolfrith, Eosterwine, Sigfrith, and Hwaetberht.
3. What does the anonymous writer claim came into view after the ship ran out of food?
(a) A high rocky island.
(b) A lush, forested island.
(c) A deserted island.
(d) A whale.
4. In what book from the Bible does Bede claim Benedict took comfort during nights he could not sleep during his illness?
5. Why does the anonymous author claim that King Egfrith donated the resources for building another church and monastery?
(a) To show appreciation to Ceolfrith for healing his wife.
(b) For the redemption of his soul.
(c) To bring the blessings of God on his reign.
(d) To set an example of the support his subjects should give to Christianity.
6. How does the anonymous author claim Brendan's party finally arrived to the island they had been seeking?
(a) They were carried by angels after winds had died.
(b) By riding on the back of a whale.
(c) They rowed vigorously for 40 days.
(d) A fair wind sprang up and saved them from being overtaxed by the effort of rowing.
7. Who does the anonymous writer record God sent to be the guide of Brendan's traveling party after they landed on the island?
(a) A man with an aura of shining light.
(b) A hermit named Paul.
(c) A boy with a basket of bread.
(d) A dog.
8. Why did Benedict name Ceolfrith to be abbot over the two monasteries he helped to build, according to the anonymous author?
(a) Because Ceolfrith was the best candidate after the plague had caused the death of many monks.
(b) Because both Benedict and the abbot who preceded Ceolfrith, Sigfrith, were on their deathbeds.
(c) Because Ceolfrith was faithful in helping to start other abbeys.
(d) Because Ceolfrith showed his grasp of Christian understanding in debates with other monks.
9. What does Bede record to be Benedict's orders regarding the books he had brought back from his several trips to Rome?
(a) That copied and spread throughout the monasteries of England.
(b) That they be offered to the Bishop so he could consider the best use of collection.
(c) That they be kept as a single collection and not broken up piecemeal.
(d) That they be returned to Rome and the collection from which they were borrowed.
10. At what age does the anonymous author of Ceolfrith's history claim he became a monk?
11. To what abbey does Bede report Benedict named Eosterwine?
12. What did the anonymous writer record that Brendan claimed they reached as they walked toward the furthest shore of their landing?
(a) A man with an aura of shining light.
(b) A river that ran from east to west.
(c) The Pearl of Great Price.
(d) A dog that led them to their provisions.
13. Who confirmed the choice of Ceolfrith's replacement, according to Bede?
(b) Bishop Acca.
14. After his fourth trip to Rome, what does Bede report that Benedict brought back to Britain?
(a) A large number of books on all branches of sacred knowledge.
(b) Scholars who were trained in the interpretation of Scripture.
(c) A cantor named John who introduced the order of chanting and singing the Psalms to Britain.
(d) Icons from the tombs of saints to aid in the performance of miracles.
15. How often did the traveling party eat on the journey away from the island?
(a) Two times a day.
(b) Every two days.
(c) Every three days.
(d) Three times a day.
Short Answer Questions
1. To where does the anonymous writer claim that Brendan traveled after he took a series of three day fasts that lasted 40 days?
2. How does Bede claim Sigfrid came to be promoted from deacon to abbot after Eosterwine's left his abbey?
3. What decision does Bede report Benedict made while Benedict and Sigfrith were on their deathbeds?
4. Who was named to rule the monastery shortly before Ceolfrith joined it, according to the anonymous author?
5. What monastery construction on the north bank of Wear was funded by Benedict, according to Bede?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)