|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How often did the traveling party eat on the journey away from the island?
(a) Three times a day.
(b) Every three days.
(c) Two times a day.
(d) Every two days.
2. Who welcomed Ceolfrith in Gaul, according to the anonymous author?
(a) King Hilperic.
(b) King Aldfrid.
(c) King Egfrid.
(d) King Ecgfrith.
3. Who does Bede write about as the abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow?
(a) Benedict, Cuthbert, Wilfrid, and Brendan.
(b) Benedict, Ceolfrith, Ahlfrid, and Ecgfrith.
(c) Ceolfrith, Eosterwine, Cuthbert, and Colman.
(d) Benedict, Ceolfrith, Eosterwine, Sigfrith, and Hwaetberht.
4. What apostle and New Testament book does the anonymous author on the history of Ceolfrith cite as his inspiration for writing the book.
(a) He cites the Apostle Paul's letters to the Corinthians.
(b) He cites the Gospel of John.
(c) He cites the epistles of St. Peter.
(d) He cites the Apostle Paul's letter to the Hebrews.
5. How were Benedict and Sigfrith able to meet with each other shortly before they died from their illnesses, according to Bede?
(a) They were moved to the basement of Wearmouth and spent their remaining days together.
(b) Sigfrith was carried to Benedict's room on a stretcher.
(c) They were kept in the same room in the hospital.
(d) They were placed in wheel chairs and wheeled to meet with each other daily.
6. To where had Bredan's son fled to live the life of a hermit with other monks, according to the story recorded by the anonymous author?
(a) The Valley of Virtue.
(b) The Island of Delights.
(c) The Meadow of Miracles.
(d) The Land of Promise of the Saints.
7. During their journey, what did they discover surrounded Judas Iscariot?
(a) A scroll of condemnation.
(b) Flames of torment.
(c) Cold isolation.
(d) A great number of demons.
8. What was Benedict's council to those who visited him while he suffered his illness, according to Bede?
(a) That they study scripture regularly.
(b) That they guard the monasteries at Wearmouth and Jarrow.
(c) That they devote themselves to fasting and prayer.
(d) That the ordinances he passed to them were not of his creation.
9. How did Brendan's traveling party arrive at the next island?
(a) They were carried on the back of a whale.
(b) They were carried by angels after winds had died.
(c) A fair wind sprang up and saved them from being overtaxed by the effort of rowing.
(d) They rowed vigorously for 40 days.
10. Who donated the land for Benedict to build a monastery in Northumbria, according to Bede?
(a) King Ecgfrith.
(b) King Egfrid.
(c) The Holy Synod.
(d) King Dagobert.
11. In the story the anonymous writer recorded Brendan told, what did Brendan say his son's name was?
12. How many total years does the anonymous author report that Ceolfrith ruled separately over the monasteries of St. Peter and St. Paul?
13. At what age does the anonymous author of Ceolfrith's history claim he became a monk?
14. Why does the anonymous author claim that King Egfrith donated the resources for building another church and monastery?
(a) To bring the blessings of God on his reign.
(b) To show appreciation to Ceolfrith for healing his wife.
(c) For the redemption of his soul.
(d) To set an example of the support his subjects should give to Christianity.
15. Who does the anonymous author claim provided Brendan's traveling party with food as it left this island?
(a) A dog.
(b) A man with an aura of shining light.
(c) A young man carrying a basket of bread.
(d) A hermit named Paul.
Short Answer Questions
1. What practice did Ceolfrith pass on to the monks who joined him in building the new monastery?
2. After Brendan said he and his son landed the boat in which they took their trip, how long did they walk on the island before without reaching the furthest shore from their landing, according to the anonymous writer?
3. Upon their second meeting of the creatures who were fallen angels, what was announced to Brendan and his party, according to the anonymous author?
4. How did the anonymous author claim that Ceolfrith came to study for the priesthood?
5. What form did fallen angels take on Brendan's journey, according to the anonymous author?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)