|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bede trace as Eosterwine's relationship to Benedict?
(a) They were theological rivals.
(b) They were in-laws.
(c) They were brothers.
(d) They were cousins.
2. Why does the anonymous author claim that King Egfrith donated the resources for building another church and monastery?
(a) To bring the blessings of God on his reign.
(b) For the redemption of his soul.
(c) To set an example of the support his subjects should give to Christianity.
(d) To show appreciation to Ceolfrith for healing his wife.
3. What custom arose from the burial of Ceolfrith?
(a) Placing flowers on a grave.
(b) Having a celebration with friends which eventually became known as a wake.
(c) Praying the Psalms prior to kneeling at Ceolfrith's tomb.
(d) Wearing black for mourning.
4. During their journey, what did they discover surrounded Judas Iscariot?
(a) A scroll of condemnation.
(b) Cold isolation.
(c) A great number of demons.
(d) Flames of torment.
5. Who did Bede report was chosen to replace Ceolfrith?
6. Who does the anonymous writer record God sent to be the guide of Brendan's traveling party after they landed on the island?
(a) A dog.
(b) A hermit named Paul.
(c) A boy with a basket of bread.
(d) A man with an aura of shining light.
7. How many monks did the anonymous author report Ceolfrith took with him to complete the new construction that King Egfrith sponsored?
8. After the guide brought them to a vast hall with couches and water to wash their feet, what does the anonymous writer report that Brendan said?
(a) "Do not let your desire for the physical overcome your need for the Holy . . ."
(b) "Be on your guard, brethren, lest Satan lead you into temptation . . ."
(c) "Thank God from whom all good things flow . . ."
(d) "God has provided for our needs . . ."
9. Who returned a letter of thanks for the gift the monks delivered to Rome according to the anonymous author?
(a) Pope Agatho.
(b) Pope Gregory.
(c) Archdeacon Boniface.
(d) Archbishop Berhtwald.
10. To where does the anonymous writer claim that Brendan traveled after he took a series of three day fasts that lasted 40 days?
(a) To the Island of Delights.
(b) To the island of a holy monk called Enda.
(c) To the Meadow of Miracles.
(d) To the Valley of Virtue.
11. To whose honor was the monastery that Ceolfrith helped to build dedicated, according to the anonymous author?
(a) St. Peter the Apostle.
(b) St. Luke the Physician.
(c) St. Paul the Apostle.
(d) St. John the Apostel.
12. What form did fallen angels take on Brendan's journey, according to the anonymous author?
(a) Old men.
13. What illness does Bede report came to Benedict shortly after Sigfrith became abbot of Wearmouth?
(a) The plague.
(b) He suffered creeping paralysis.
(c) He was taken by consumption.
14. What did Bede report Benedict brought back to Britain after his third trip to Rome?
(a) A cantor named John who introduced the order of chanting and singing the Psalms to Britain.
(b) Scholars who were trained in the interpretation of Scripture.
(c) Icons from the tombs of saints to aid in the performance of miracles.
(d) A large number of books on all branches of sacred knowledge.
15. What did the anonymous author report that Brendan said a rocky island that had no sand on its beach actually was?
(a) A trick played on them by demons.
(b) The greatest of all creatures that swim, called Jasconius.
(c) The back of Satan.
(d) The Turtle of Truth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the anonymous author report Brendan's traveling party found during the walks around the island?
2. To whom was the letter addressed?
3. Why did Brendan chastise his fellow travelers for putting their flasks into streams running from the island to quench their thirst, according to the anonymous writer?
4. How long does the Anonymous writer claim Brendan and his party traveled before they ran out of food after they left the destination to which they traveled after the 40 days of fasting?
5. What does the anonymous author report appeared before the traveling party after it had finished singing on its way back to its boat?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)