|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the anonymous author report Brendan's traveling party found during the walks around the island?
(a) A hermit named Paul.
(b) The Pearl of Great Price.
(c) Several flocks of sheep.
(d) A table laid for a meal.
2. What does the anonymous author report appeared before the traveling party after it had finished singing on its way back to its boat?
(a) A table laid for a meal.
(b) A guide for their direction.
(c) A fire for their warmth.
(d) A castle for their protection.
3. What does the anonymous writer claim came into view after the ship ran out of food?
(a) A lush, forested island.
(b) A whale.
(c) A high rocky island.
(d) A deserted island.
4. How long does the Anonymous writer claim Brendan and his party traveled before they ran out of food after they left the destination to which they traveled after the 40 days of fasting?
(a) 3 days.
(b) 7 days.
(c) 40 days.
(d) For a whole year.
5. What did the anonymous author report that Brendan said a rocky island that had no sand on its beach actually was?
(a) The back of Satan.
(b) The Turtle of Truth.
(c) A trick played on them by demons.
(d) The greatest of all creatures that swim, called Jasconius.
6. After his fourth trip to Rome, what does Bede report that Benedict brought back to Britain?
(a) A cantor named John who introduced the order of chanting and singing the Psalms to Britain.
(b) Scholars who were trained in the interpretation of Scripture.
(c) Icons from the tombs of saints to aid in the performance of miracles.
(d) A large number of books on all branches of sacred knowledge.
7. What was Benedict's council to those who visited him while he suffered his illness, according to Bede?
(a) That they study scripture regularly.
(b) That the ordinances he passed to them were not of his creation.
(c) That they devote themselves to fasting and prayer.
(d) That they guard the monasteries at Wearmouth and Jarrow.
8. Who does Bede write about as the abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow?
(a) Benedict, Cuthbert, Wilfrid, and Brendan.
(b) Benedict, Ceolfrith, Eosterwine, Sigfrith, and Hwaetberht.
(c) Benedict, Ceolfrith, Ahlfrid, and Ecgfrith.
(d) Ceolfrith, Eosterwine, Cuthbert, and Colman.
9. Who did the anonymous author claim chose Ceolfrith to help him build a monastery?
(a) Abbot Benedict.
10. Where was the monastery that the anonymous author report Ceolfrith joined?
11. To whom was the letter addressed?
12. After the death of Benedict, how many years does the anonymous author credit Ceolfrith with presiding over both monasteries simultaneously?
13. Who donated the land for Benedict to build a monastery in Northumbria, according to Bede?
(a) King Egfrid.
(b) The Holy Synod.
(c) King Ecgfrith.
(d) King Dagobert.
14. When does the anonymous author record Brendan's traveling party landed on the island?
(a) Maundy Thursday.
(b) Easter Sunday.
(c) Good Friday.
(d) Christmas day.
15. What happened to Eosterwine during Benedict's fifth journey to Rome, according to Bede?
(a) Eosterwine starved during a siege of Wearmouth.
(b) Eostewine and a number of monks died from the plague.
(c) Eosterwine became abbot of Jarrow.
(d) The pope beckoned Eosterwine to Rome.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was chosen by the monks to serve as abbot in Ceolfrith's absence, according to the anonymous author?
2. What Psalm did the monks from St. Peter's sing to Ceolfrith as he left on his pilgrimage, according to the anonymous author?
3. Who met Brendan and his son during their journey?
4. Who does the anonymous writer record God sent to be the guide of Brendan's traveling party after they landed on the island?
5. What quote does the anonymous author of Ceolfrith's history use to advise readers of his work?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)