|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What condition does Bede write affected Sigfrith during his service as abbot?
(b) A curved spine.
(c) A painful and incurable disease of the lungs.
(d) A lame leg.
2. Who did Bede report was chosen to replace Ceolfrith?
3. What does the anonymous author report Brendan's traveling party found during the walks around the island?
(a) Several flocks of sheep.
(b) A table laid for a meal.
(c) The Pearl of Great Price.
(d) A hermit named Paul.
4. From what royal family does Bede claim Benedict descended?
(a) The Windsor lineage.
(b) The Angle lineage.
(c) The Egfrid Lineage.
(d) The Theodoric lineage.
5. How many monks did the anonymous author report Ceolfrith took with him to complete the new construction that King Egfrith sponsored?
6. What did Bede report Benedict brought back to Britain after his third trip to Rome?
(a) A cantor named John who introduced the order of chanting and singing the Psalms to Britain.
(b) Icons from the tombs of saints to aid in the performance of miracles.
(c) Scholars who were trained in the interpretation of Scripture.
(d) A large number of books on all branches of sacred knowledge.
7. Who confirmed the choice of Ceolfrith's replacement, according to Bede?
(a) Bishop Acca.
8. How long did Ceolfrith preside over the responsibilities appointed to him by Benedict?
(a) 28 years.
(b) 3 years.
(c) 16 years.
(d) 7 years.
9. How did Brendan's traveling party arrive at the next island?
(a) They were carried on the back of a whale.
(b) They rowed vigorously for 40 days.
(c) They were carried by angels after winds had died.
(d) A fair wind sprang up and saved them from being overtaxed by the effort of rowing.
10. Whose death was Ceolfrith compared in the letter from Rome?
(a) Moses and Aaron who died before they could enter the Promised Land.
(b) Noah who died after he had delivered his family through the flood.
(c) St. John who died after he had delivered the Revelation.
(d) Enoch who did not die, but walked with God.
11. To where does the anonymous writer claim that Brendan traveled after he took a series of three day fasts that lasted 40 days?
(a) To the island of a holy monk called Enda.
(b) To the Valley of Virtue.
(c) To the Meadow of Miracles.
(d) To the Island of Delights.
12. In the story the anonymous writer recorded Brendan told, what did Brendan say his son's name was?
13. What foundation does Bede credit Benedict with beginning?
14. What form did fallen angels take on Brendan's journey, according to the anonymous author?
(c) Old men.
15. What does Bede trace as Eosterwine's relationship to Benedict?
(a) They were brothers.
(b) They were cousins.
(c) They were theological rivals.
(d) They were in-laws.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the anonymous writer record that Brendan claimed they reached as they walked toward the furthest shore of their landing?
2. What did the anonymous author infer to be Ceolfrith's method of avoiding the plague that took the lives of many monks?
3. Who does Bede report provided the land for St. Peter's Monastery?
4. What did the anonymous author report that Brendan said a rocky island that had no sand on its beach actually was?
5. What was Brendan's warning as they left the island?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)