|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were Brendan's most important monasteries, according to Farmer?
(a) Northumbria, Whitby, Inishadroum, and Jarrow.
(b) Annadown, Christendom, Confert, and Melrose.
(c) Clonfert, Annadown, Inishadroum, and Ardfert.
(d) Wearmouth, Jarrow, Lindisfarne, and Melrose.
2. To what book does Bede refer for support of other angels who rode on horseback?
(a) The Navigato.
(b) The Psalms.
(d) The history of the Maccabees.
3. Who did Bede report reviewed and revised his work?
(d) The Priest Herefrith.
4. Whose record of Cuthbert's death did Bede use?
(a) Benedict who was a close friend of Cuthbert.
(b) Wilfrid who asked Bede to take a pilgrimage with him to Rome.
(c) Herefrith, a devout priest and abbot of Lindisfarne.
(d) Hwaetbehrt who succeeded him as abbot.
5. According to Stephanus, how did the expansion of the Kingdom that Wilfrid advised expand his authority as Bishop?
(a) Wilfrid used the expansion of the kingdom to claim more lands for the church.
(b) Wilfrid became bishop over the Saxons, British, Scots, and Picts.
(c) Wilfrid was recognized by Rome as a powerful Bishop of England.
(d) Wilfrid became wealthier from the expansion of the kingdom and used his wealth to buy support from Rome.
6. What institution does Farmer suggest was responsible for the growth of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) The family.
(b) The Nobility.
(c) The Clergy.
(d) The government.
7. Who does Stephanus claim influenced Ecgfrith to drive Wilfrid from his see?
(a) Bishop Winfrid.
(b) Bishop Colman.
(c) King Dagobert.
(d) Ecgfrith's queen, Iurminbrugh.
8. Who does Stephanus claim introduced Wilfrid to the Pope?
(a) Archbishop Dalfinus.
(b) Bishop Baducing.
(c) Bishop Colman.
(d) Boniface the archdeacon.
9. What was the first miracle that Bede reports that Cuthbert performed?
(a) He healed a sick boy near death.
(b) He calmed a wind that had nearly blown rafts carrying monks to sea with his prayers.
(c) He healed himself of a lame leg.
(d) He brought a sheriff's wife back to life.
10. What official does Farmer report presided over the community of monks?
(a) The regional bishop.
(b) A local abbot.
(c) The Cardinals.
(d) The Pope.
11. Why did Bede address his prologue to its named recipient?
(a) To show his father that his devotion was being manifested in good works.
(b) To affirm he virtues of Cuthbert to those whom he served.
(c) So the reader would know that the work was undertaken in compliance with the Bishop's wishes.
(d) To assure future Christians that the church was founded by men of reliable virtue.
12. What was the result of the prayers Cuthbert led while he and two brethren were stranded during a sea voyage without provisions?
(a) God ended the storm and provided a passing ship to carry them to their destination.
(b) A whale came to deliver them to their destination.
(c) They were provided with dolphin meat and calm seas.
(d) Angels mended their ship while the two brethren slept and Cuthbert kept a prayer vigil.
13. Over what issue did Wilfrid debate Bishop Colman according to Stephanus?
(a) The parallels between Yom Kippur and Christmas.
(b) The specific day upon which to celebrate Easter.
(c) The role of icons in affirming faith.
(d) The importance of miracles in identifying saints.
14. Farmer asserts that the "Navigatio" is a fascinating mixture of what?
(a) Intrigue, sound doctrine, and drama.
(b) Fantasy, doctrine, and mystery.
(c) History, fact, and economic theory.
(d) Fact, fantasy, and literary borrowing.
15. What does Bede claim came of the person to whom Cuthbert prophesied his death?
(a) He was made abbot of lindisfarne.
(b) He died at the same time as Cuthbert.
(c) Cuthbert blessed him and he lived many years after receiving the prophesy.
(d) He passed the story of Cuthbert's death to Bede.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Cuthbert respond to converts who were falling away from the faith, according to Bede?
2. Who was the king who Stephanus reported to follow Wilfrid's guidance to win victories over the Picts and Mercia?
3. As Cuthbert was traveling with a boy during a preaching tour in Chapter 12, how did Bede report that Cuthbert prophesied their food would be provided?
4. Which of the works in "The Age of Bede" does Farmer claim was popular during the Middle Ages?
5. What did Bede claim to be Cuthbert's preoccupation when he was still eight years old?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)