|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Stephanus, how did the expansion of the Kingdom that Wilfrid advised expand his authority as Bishop?
(a) Wilfrid was recognized by Rome as a powerful Bishop of England.
(b) Wilfrid used the expansion of the kingdom to claim more lands for the church.
(c) Wilfrid became bishop over the Saxons, British, Scots, and Picts.
(d) Wilfrid became wealthier from the expansion of the kingdom and used his wealth to buy support from Rome.
2. What term does Farmer use to identify a community of monks?
(a) The Royal Order.
(b) The Holy Knights.
(d) The Holy Priesthood.
3. Which Northumbrian cleric does Farmer record as being trained in Lindisfarne?
4. Where does Stephanus claim peace was achieved between Wilfrid and his enemies?
(c) The Holy Synod.
(d) The Synod of Nidd.
5. What were Brendan's most important monasteries, according to Farmer?
(a) Wearmouth, Jarrow, Lindisfarne, and Melrose.
(b) Northumbria, Whitby, Inishadroum, and Jarrow.
(c) Annadown, Christendom, Confert, and Melrose.
(d) Clonfert, Annadown, Inishadroum, and Ardfert.
6. What did Bede claim to be Cuthbert's preoccupation when he was still eight years old?
(a) Games and carefree play.
(b) Reading and writing.
(c) Hunting and adventuring.
(d) Praying and Chanting.
7. Where is the body of Cuthbert buried, according to Bede's record?
(a) At the bottom of the lake where he kept many prayer vigils.
(b) In the catacombs of Wearmouth monastery.
(c) In the pasture that he kept during his time as a hermit.
(d) In a stone coffin on the right side of the altar in the church of the Blessed Apostle Peter.
8. Where does Farmer claim that the earliest surviving manuscript of "Navigatio" was written?
(a) At the monastery at Inishadroum.
(b) At the monastery at Wearmouth.
(c) At the monastery at Melrose.
(d) At the monastery at St. Maximin.
9. What does Stephanus claim was the King's response to the request that Wilfrid be sent to the duke?
(a) He promptly captured Wilfrid and sent him back to the petitioner, but God spared Wilfrid the condemnation.
(b) The king ignored the request.
(c) He sent back a message that he had already executed Wilfrid to buy him time to escape.
(d) He tore up the scroll upon which the request was written in the audience of his court.
10. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
(a) The presbytery and the Holy Roman Empire.
(b) Indulgences, monasticism, and chanting.
(c) Monasticism and the primacy of the spiritual.
(d) The Sacraments, baptism, and confession.
11. Why did a demon leave the wife of Sheriff Hildmer as he and Cuthbert approached his home, according to Bede?
(a) Because Cuthbert had prayed that God would remove the demon before the Sheriff had returned to his home.
(b) Because the demon realized that God would come at Cuthbert's call.
(c) The angels that always walked ahead of Cuthbert battled the angels as the wife of the sheriff slept.
(d) The demon could not stand the approaching of the Holy Spirit that resided in Cuthbert.
12. What does Farmer claim to be the name of the author of the "Navigatio"?
(b) Eddius Stephanus.
13. What animal does Bede claim ministered to Cuthbert after he spent a night in prayer in the water off the sea shore?
(a) An eagle.
(b) A fawn.
(c) A dog.
(d) Two otters.
14. Who was finally found to travel to St. Peter's with Wilfrid, according to Stephanus?
(a) King Erconberht of Kent.
(b) Boniface the Archdeacon.
(c) Bishop Baducing.
(d) Archbishop Dalfinus.
15. How does Bede claim Cuthbert kept birds from eating the barley crop he grew as he lived in isolation as a monk?
(a) He kept a week-long prayer and fast to appeal to God to deliver his crops from the offending birds.
(b) He invented the scarecrow.
(c) He said, ". . . If God has given you permission, then do as He bade you: if not, be off with you, . . ."
(d) He said, "God will banish your souls to condemnation should you be robbing from His anointed."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Farmer claim to be the document that the earliest monk wrote?
2. What sign does Stephanus claim that God used to indicate that Wilfrid would serve him in the future?
3. What was Wilfrid's destination when he left his home, according to Stephanus?
4. Who does Stephanus claim influenced Ecgfrith to drive Wilfrid from his see?
5. To whom did Bede write the prologue to his "Life of Cuthbert"?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)