|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What miracle did Cuthbert perform when he brought the Holy Ghost to a village that could only provide tents for him and his retinue?
(a) He received wood from birds and animals to provide for a fire.
(b) With prayer he cured a boy that was dying.
(c) He fed the village a healthy stew made from nothing but a pot of water and three round stones.
(d) He healed a blind man who shared his bread with them.
2. Who was the wicked queen who Stephanus wrote persecuted the church and martyred nine bishops?
3. How was Cuthbert's Friday fast broken on one occasion at the vesper's hour according to Bede?
(a) Birds brought him bread from a far land.
(b) Cuthbert's horse pulled on a straw from the roof where he rested that was connected to a bundle of food from God.
(c) An angel disgused as an old man fixed him a meal of rice and cakes.
(d) Otters brought him a meal of fish from the sea.
4. How does Bede claim Cuthbert kept birds from eating the barley crop he grew as he lived in isolation as a monk?
(a) He said, "God will banish your souls to condemnation should you be robbing from His anointed."
(b) He kept a week-long prayer and fast to appeal to God to deliver his crops from the offending birds.
(c) He invented the scarecrow.
(d) He said, ". . . If God has given you permission, then do as He bade you: if not, be off with you, . . ."
5. Which cleric does Farmer identify as coming from Northumbria and trained at Melrose?
(a) Columba of Iona.
6. How old was Wilfrid when Stephanus reported he left home to seek the kingdom of Heaven?
7. Why was Cuthbert inspired to rise from his sickbed in Chapter 8, according to Bede?
(a) Because he did not want to neglect the responsibility God had put before him.
(b) Because he knew that God had certainly heard the prayers of the monks praying for him.
(c) Because he knew that God would provide him strength to carry out ministry.
(d) Because he desired to be an inspiration to those in need.
8. What miracle does Stephanus report that Wilfrid performed during the construction of the church at Hexham?
(a) He healed through prayer a workman who fell from working on the highest part of the walls in the church.
(b) He prayed over a pile of stones used in the construction and the pile was not exhausted until the church was completed.
(c) He prayed for God's provision of favorable weather and the project did not lose a day due to foul weather.
(d) He prayed for the health of the workers and all of them kept their health throughout the project.
9. What were two things that Bede said he avoided in the prologue?
(a) Doctrine and legalism.
(b) Ambiguity and hair-splitting.
(c) Judgementalism and piety.
(d) Criticism and pessimism.
10. To whom did Cuthbert prophesy his own death, according to Bede?
(a) Benedict Biscop.
(b) The residents on the island Lindisfarne.
(d) Hereberht, the hermit.
11. To what biblical story does Stephanus compare the event that preceded the battle between Wilfrid's party and the pagans?
(a) The story of Gideon.
(b) The story of David and Goliath.
(c) The story of Caleb taking his mountain.
(d) The story of the Israelites taking the Holy land from the Philistines.
12. What text does Bede report that Boisil recommended to Cuthbert?
(a) The Epistles of St. Peter.
(b) St. John the Evangelist.
(c) The Epistle of St. James, the brother of Jesus.
(d) The Gospel of Luke.
13. After his debate with Bishop Colman won him acclaim, what does Stephanus report came of Wilfrid?
(a) Wilfrid was elected to the episcopacy.
(b) Wilfrid became a Bishop.
(c) Wilfrid was ordained as a priest.
(d) Wilfrid was appointed abbot.
14. To what book does Bede refer for support of other angels who rode on horseback?
(a) The Navigato.
(b) The Psalms.
(d) The history of the Maccabees.
15. What does Bede report Cuthbert used to cure a sick servant to a bodyguard of King Ecgfrith?
(a) A salve brought to him by two otters.
(b) Prayer and fasting.
(c) Water he blessed.
(d) A poltice delivered to him by an angel on horseback.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Farmer claim to be the name of the author of the "Navigatio"?
2. Who does Stephanus report led a synod which was actually a trap to take the properties that were under Wilfrid's authority?
3. Who does Stephanus claim introduced Wilfrid to the Pope?
4. What animal does Bede claim ministered to Cuthbert after he spent a night in prayer in the water off the sea shore?
5. Who does Stephanus claim influenced Ecgfrith to drive Wilfrid from his see?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)