|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Farmer claim to be the name of the author of the "Navigatio"?
(a) Eddius Stephanus.
2. Farmer asserts that the "Navigatio" is a fascinating mixture of what?
(a) Fantasy, doctrine, and mystery.
(b) History, fact, and economic theory.
(c) Intrigue, sound doctrine, and drama.
(d) Fact, fantasy, and literary borrowing.
3. What kind of battles does Farmer report the church leaders in "The Age of Bede" fought?
(a) Physical battles against pagans seeking to dismantle Christian influences.
(b) Spiritual battles against invisible diabolical enemies.
(c) Political battles against corrupt kings.
(d) Economic battles against land owners who sought land on which churches were built.
4. Who does Farmer report to be the earliest monk of the British Isles?
(a) Ceolfrith, a monk of Wearmouth.
(b) Brendan, an Irish monk.
(c) Cuthbert, a hermit of Lindisfarne.
(d) Benedict, a Roman bishop.
5. What were two things that Bede said he avoided in the prologue?
(a) Ambiguity and hair-splitting.
(b) Criticism and pessimism.
(c) Judgementalism and piety.
(d) Doctrine and legalism.
6. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) Clergy would evangelize pagans who would give to support the construction of monasteries.
(b) Nobles would provide land and funding for construction of monasteries.
(c) The government would raise taxes to support the construction of monasteries.
(d) When a family would convert to Christianity, it would remain together as a group and convert their homes into monasteries.
7. Who gave Wilfrid the monastery at Ripon according to Stephanus?
(a) King Oswiu.
(b) Bishop Winfrid.
(c) King Ecgfrith.
8. As Cuthbert was traveling with a boy during a preaching tour in Chapter 12, how did Bede report that Cuthbert prophesied their food would be provided?
(a) By two otters.
(b) By an eagle.
(c) By a dog.
(d) By a fawn.
9. What does Bede report Cuthbert used to cure a sick servant to a bodyguard of King Ecgfrith?
(a) Prayer and fasting.
(b) A poltice delivered to him by an angel on horseback.
(c) Water he blessed.
(d) A salve brought to him by two otters.
10. Who does Stephanus claim introduced Wilfrid to the Pope?
(a) Archbishop Dalfinus.
(b) Bishop Colman.
(c) Boniface the archdeacon.
(d) Bishop Baducing.
11. How old was Wilfrid when Stephanus reported he left home to seek the kingdom of Heaven?
12. Who does Stephanus claim influenced Ecgfrith to drive Wilfrid from his see?
(a) Bishop Colman.
(b) Bishop Winfrid.
(c) Ecgfrith's queen, Iurminbrugh.
(d) King Dagobert.
13. Which Irish apostle, according to Farmer, became famous for the founding of the Bobbio and Saint-Gall monasteries.
14. Which of the works in "The Age of Bede" does Farmer claim was popular during the Middle Ages?
(a) "The Life of Cuthbert."
(b) "Voyage of St. Brendan."
(c) "The Life of Wilfrid."
(d) " The Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow."
15. What was the quote from the Psalms that Bede used to support God's hand in the event?
(a) "Out of the mouths of babes and sucklings Thou has perfected praise."
(b) "A wise son accepts his father's discipline, But a scoffer does not listen to rebuke."
(c) "I have directed you in the way of wisdom; I have led you in upright paths."
(d) "When you walk about they will guide you; When you sleep, they will watch over you."
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Northumbrian cleric does Farmer record as being trained in Lindisfarne?
2. After he listened to the chastisement, what does Bede report to be Cuthbert's response?
3. What did Bede claim to be Cuthbert's preoccupation when he was still eight years old?
4. How does Bede claim Christian converts profaned their faith in Chapter 9?
5. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)