|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Farmer claim draws readers across the ages to the lives profiled in "The Age of Bede"?
(a) The accurate history of various leaders in the region.
(b) The ideals and the scale of values of "The Age of Bede's" great men.
(c) The colorful detail with which the ancient times are reported.
(d) The mystical accounting of miracles.
2. How many Latin manuscripts of this document does Farmer claim still exists?
3. What text does Bede report that Boisil recommended to Cuthbert?
(a) St. John the Evangelist.
(b) The Epistles of St. Peter.
(c) The Gospel of Luke.
(d) The Epistle of St. James, the brother of Jesus.
4. How many texts does D.H. Farmer report in the Introduction comprise "The Age of Bede"?
5. Which cleric does Farmer identify as coming from Northumbria and trained at Melrose?
(a) Columba of Iona.
6. Who does Stephanus claim introduced Wilfrid to the Pope?
(a) Bishop Baducing.
(b) Archbishop Dalfinus.
(c) Boniface the archdeacon.
(d) Bishop Colman.
7. Who does Bede claim first chastised Cuthbert for his idleness and his indulgences?
(a) A solemn old man.
(b) His maternal grandfather.
(c) A neighbor who caught him in a prank.
(d) A three-year-old child.
8. Who was finally found to travel to St. Peter's with Wilfrid, according to Stephanus?
(a) King Erconberht of Kent.
(b) Bishop Baducing.
(c) Boniface the Archdeacon.
(d) Archbishop Dalfinus.
9. What does Farmer identify as the basic theme of the "Navigatio"?
(a) The miraculous power of prayer.
(b) The healing mysteries of faith.
(c) The quest for paradise on earth.
(d) The cleansing influence of virtue.
10. Why did a demon leave the wife of Sheriff Hildmer as he and Cuthbert approached his home, according to Bede?
(a) Because the demon realized that God would come at Cuthbert's call.
(b) The demon could not stand the approaching of the Holy Spirit that resided in Cuthbert.
(c) Because Cuthbert had prayed that God would remove the demon before the Sheriff had returned to his home.
(d) The angels that always walked ahead of Cuthbert battled the angels as the wife of the sheriff slept.
11. What institution does Farmer suggest was responsible for the growth of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) The Nobility.
(b) The Clergy.
(c) The government.
(d) The family.
12. Which document by Bede, according to Farmer, acts as a biography and a local history?
(a) "The Life of Wilfrid."
(b) "Lives of the Abbots."
(c) "The History of Abbot Ceolfrith."
(d) "The Life of Cuthbert."
13. What animal does Bede claim ministered to Cuthbert after he spent a night in prayer in the water off the sea shore?
(a) Two otters.
(b) An eagle.
(c) A dog.
(d) A fawn.
14. Which Irish apostle, according to Farmer, became famous for the founding of the Bobbio and Saint-Gall monasteries.
15. What term does Farmer use to identify a community of monks?
(a) The Holy Priesthood.
(b) The Holy Knights.
(d) The Royal Order.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Northumbrian cleric does Farmer record as being trained in Lindisfarne?
2. What does Bede claim Cuthbert did to convert water to wine as he stayed at a convent in Tyne?
3. To what book does Bede refer for support of other angels who rode on horseback?
4. What was the result of the prayers Cuthbert led while he and two brethren were stranded during a sea voyage without provisions?
5. Which duke of Theodoric petitioned the king over the land Wilfrid where was preaching to have Wilfrid sent to him dead or alive, according to Stephanus?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)