|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The saints who are detailed in "The Age of Bede" lived in what two centuries according to Farmer?
(a) The fourth and fifth B.C.
(b) The fifth and sixth A.D.
(c) The sixth and seventh B.C.
(d) The sixth and seventh A.D.
2. Which of the works in "The Age of Bede" does Farmer claim was popular during the Middle Ages?
(a) "Voyage of St. Brendan."
(b) " The Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow."
(c) "The Life of Wilfrid."
(d) "The Life of Cuthbert."
3. What came of a phantom fire that came upon a village while Bede reports that Cuthbert was teaching on the distractions of the devil?
(a) Strong winds blew the fires away as soon as Cuthbert prayed for deliverance.
(b) God brought a torrent of rain that extinguished the phantom.
(c) An angel extinguished the flames with a mighty blow of his trumpet.
(d) They disappeared into thin air as Cuthbert prayed.
4. What effect did abbots in Ireland have on the influence of bishops, according to Farmer?
(a) The provided the channels for bishops to influence the population.
(b) They strengthened the bishops by collecting indulgences for them.
(c) They diminished the influence of bishops.
(d) They had no affect on the bishops.
5. Who does Stephanus report restored Wilfrid to his see?
(a) King Ecgfrith.
(c) Pope Agatho and the Holy Synod.
(d) Archbishop Berhtrwald.
6. What was the first miracle that Bede reports that Cuthbert performed?
(a) He brought a sheriff's wife back to life.
(b) He healed a sick boy near death.
(c) He calmed a wind that had nearly blown rafts carrying monks to sea with his prayers.
(d) He healed himself of a lame leg.
7. After his debate with Bishop Colman won him acclaim, what does Stephanus report came of Wilfrid?
(a) Wilfrid was elected to the episcopacy.
(b) Wilfrid was ordained as a priest.
(c) Wilfrid was appointed abbot.
(d) Wilfrid became a Bishop.
8. To whom did Bede write the prologue to his "Life of Cuthbert"?
(a) Bishop Eadfrid.
(b) His father.
(c) Christians of who were served by his ministry.
(d) Christians of future generations.
9. Farmer asserts that the "Navigatio" is a fascinating mixture of what?
(a) Fact, fantasy, and literary borrowing.
(b) Intrigue, sound doctrine, and drama.
(c) History, fact, and economic theory.
(d) Fantasy, doctrine, and mystery.
10. For what two countries does Farmer claim "The Age of Bede" to be an important source of early Christian Church history?
(a) Rome and Ireland.
(b) England and Ireland.
(c) England and France.
(d) Ireland and The Netherlands.
11. As Cuthbert was traveling with a boy during a preaching tour in Chapter 12, how did Bede report that Cuthbert prophesied their food would be provided?
(a) By an eagle.
(b) By a dog.
(c) By a fawn.
(d) By two otters.
12. Who was the wicked queen who Stephanus wrote persecuted the church and martyred nine bishops?
13. What miracle does Stephanus report that Wilfrid performed during the construction of the church at Hexham?
(a) He prayed for the health of the workers and all of them kept their health throughout the project.
(b) He prayed for God's provision of favorable weather and the project did not lose a day due to foul weather.
(c) He prayed over a pile of stones used in the construction and the pile was not exhausted until the church was completed.
(d) He healed through prayer a workman who fell from working on the highest part of the walls in the church.
14. What does Bede claim Cuthbert did to convert water to wine as he stayed at a convent in Tyne?
(a) He drank the water from a cup.
(b) He performed a wedding and asked for God's provisions over the reception.
(c) He spent a night's prayer vigil in a nearby lake.
(d) He dipped the hem of his garment in a cask of water.
15. According to Stephanus, how did the expansion of the Kingdom that Wilfrid advised expand his authority as Bishop?
(a) Wilfrid became wealthier from the expansion of the kingdom and used his wealth to buy support from Rome.
(b) Wilfrid used the expansion of the kingdom to claim more lands for the church.
(c) Wilfrid was recognized by Rome as a powerful Bishop of England.
(d) Wilfrid became bishop over the Saxons, British, Scots, and Picts.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Farmer claim that the earliest surviving manuscript of "Navigatio" was written?
2. What does Farmer claim to be the document that the earliest monk wrote?
3. Who does Stephanus claim taught Wilfrid the rules of Easter while he was in this city?
4. What did Bede claim to be Cuthbert's preoccupation when he was still eight years old?
5. To whom did Cuthbert prophesy his own death, according to Bede?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)