|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Wilfrid when Stephanus reported he left home to seek the kingdom of Heaven?
2. What kind of battles does Farmer report the church leaders in "The Age of Bede" fought?
(a) Physical battles against pagans seeking to dismantle Christian influences.
(b) Economic battles against land owners who sought land on which churches were built.
(c) Spiritual battles against invisible diabolical enemies.
(d) Political battles against corrupt kings.
3. Where does Farmer claim that the earliest surviving manuscript of "Navigatio" was written?
(a) At the monastery at Melrose.
(b) At the monastery at St. Maximin.
(c) At the monastery at Wearmouth.
(d) At the monastery at Inishadroum.
4. Who granted Wilfrid to preach in his first destination after being chased from his see?
(a) King Perctarit.
(b) King Ecgfrith.
(c) King Aldgisi.
(d) King Dagobert.
5. To whom did Cuthbert prophesy his own death, according to Bede?
(a) Benedict Biscop.
(b) The residents on the island Lindisfarne.
(c) Hereberht, the hermit.
6. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) When a family would convert to Christianity, it would remain together as a group and convert their homes into monasteries.
(b) Clergy would evangelize pagans who would give to support the construction of monasteries.
(c) The government would raise taxes to support the construction of monasteries.
(d) Nobles would provide land and funding for construction of monasteries.
7. Who does Farmer claim enabled Wilfred to travel to visit other churches through Europe?
(b) Enfleda, Queen of Northumbria.
(d) Bishop Colman.
8. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
(a) The Sacraments, baptism, and confession.
(b) The presbytery and the Holy Roman Empire.
(c) Monasticism and the primacy of the spiritual.
(d) Indulgences, monasticism, and chanting.
9. Who was the king who Stephanus reported to follow Wilfrid's guidance to win victories over the Picts and Mercia?
(a) King Ecgfrith.
(b) King Erconbehrt.
(c) King Oswiu.
(d) King Alhfrith.
10. Why did Bede address his prologue to its named recipient?
(a) To show his father that his devotion was being manifested in good works.
(b) To assure future Christians that the church was founded by men of reliable virtue.
(c) So the reader would know that the work was undertaken in compliance with the Bishop's wishes.
(d) To affirm he virtues of Cuthbert to those whom he served.
11. To what biblical story does Stephanus compare the event that preceded the battle between Wilfrid's party and the pagans?
(a) The story of Gideon.
(b) The story of the Israelites taking the Holy land from the Philistines.
(c) The story of David and Goliath.
(d) The story of Caleb taking his mountain.
12. What were Brendan's most important monasteries, according to Farmer?
(a) Clonfert, Annadown, Inishadroum, and Ardfert.
(b) Northumbria, Whitby, Inishadroum, and Jarrow.
(c) Annadown, Christendom, Confert, and Melrose.
(d) Wearmouth, Jarrow, Lindisfarne, and Melrose.
13. Where is the body of Cuthbert buried, according to Bede's record?
(a) At the bottom of the lake where he kept many prayer vigils.
(b) In a stone coffin on the right side of the altar in the church of the Blessed Apostle Peter.
(c) In the catacombs of Wearmouth monastery.
(d) In the pasture that he kept during his time as a hermit.
14. Who kept Wilfrid until Stephanus claimed he could meet with suitable travelers as he began his journey to St. Peter's see?
(a) Bishop Agilberht.
(b) Archbishop Dalfinus.
(c) Queen Eanfled's cousin, King Erconberht of Kent.
(d) Biscop Baducing.
15. Farmer asserts that the "Navigatio" is a fascinating mixture of what?
(a) Fantasy, doctrine, and mystery.
(b) Intrigue, sound doctrine, and drama.
(c) Fact, fantasy, and literary borrowing.
(d) History, fact, and economic theory.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Farmer report came of Cuthbert after he spent many years in a monastery?
2. Where did Stephanus report Wilfrid first settled after being chased from his see?
3. For what two countries does Farmer claim "The Age of Bede" to be an important source of early Christian Church history?
4. What was Wilfrid's destination when he left his home, according to Stephanus?
5. What sign does Stephanus claim was sent to prove that God intended Wilfred to be a saint?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)