|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
(a) Indulgences, monasticism, and chanting.
(b) The presbytery and the Holy Roman Empire.
(c) Monasticism and the primacy of the spiritual.
(d) The Sacraments, baptism, and confession.
2. For what two countries does Farmer claim "The Age of Bede" to be an important source of early Christian Church history?
(a) Rome and Ireland.
(b) England and France.
(c) Ireland and The Netherlands.
(d) England and Ireland.
3. What miracle does Stephanus report that Wilfrid performed during the construction of the church at Hexham?
(a) He prayed for God's provision of favorable weather and the project did not lose a day due to foul weather.
(b) He prayed over a pile of stones used in the construction and the pile was not exhausted until the church was completed.
(c) He prayed for the health of the workers and all of them kept their health throughout the project.
(d) He healed through prayer a workman who fell from working on the highest part of the walls in the church.
4. Who does Stephanus report restored Wilfrid to his see?
(a) Archbishop Berhtrwald.
(c) Pope Agatho and the Holy Synod.
(d) King Ecgfrith.
5. After his debate with Bishop Colman won him acclaim, what does Stephanus report came of Wilfrid?
(a) Wilfrid became a Bishop.
(b) Wilfrid was ordained as a priest.
(c) Wilfrid was elected to the episcopacy.
(d) Wilfrid was appointed abbot.
6. Who does Stephanus claim influenced Ecgfrith to drive Wilfrid from his see?
(a) Bishop Colman.
(b) Bishop Winfrid.
(c) King Dagobert.
(d) Ecgfrith's queen, Iurminbrugh.
7. Who does Stephanus report led a synod which was actually a trap to take the properties that were under Wilfrid's authority?
(a) Archdeacon Boniface.
(b) Archbishop Berhtwald.
(c) Bishop Colman.
(d) Pope Agatho.
8. Which document by Bede, according to Farmer, acts as a biography and a local history?
(a) "The Life of Cuthbert."
(b) "The Life of Wilfrid."
(c) "Lives of the Abbots."
(d) "The History of Abbot Ceolfrith."
9. What did Bede claim to be Cuthbert's preoccupation when he was still eight years old?
(a) Hunting and adventuring.
(b) Reading and writing.
(c) Praying and Chanting.
(d) Games and carefree play.
10. What was the first miracle that Bede reports that Cuthbert performed?
(a) He brought a sheriff's wife back to life.
(b) He healed a sick boy near death.
(c) He healed himself of a lame leg.
(d) He calmed a wind that had nearly blown rafts carrying monks to sea with his prayers.
11. What was Wilfrid's destination when he left his home, according to Stephanus?
(a) Archbishop Dalfinus who hoped to adopt him as a son.
(b) The home of King Erconberht of Kent.
(c) King Oswiu's queen, Eanfled, to whom he was recommended by noblemen he served in his father's house.
(d) The home of Biscop Baducing.
12. Who gave Wilfrid the monastery at Ripon according to Stephanus?
(a) Bishop Winfrid.
(c) King Oswiu.
(d) King Ecgfrith.
13. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) The government would raise taxes to support the construction of monasteries.
(b) Clergy would evangelize pagans who would give to support the construction of monasteries.
(c) Nobles would provide land and funding for construction of monasteries.
(d) When a family would convert to Christianity, it would remain together as a group and convert their homes into monasteries.
14. Where did Stephanus report Wilfrid first settled after being chased from his see?
15. How does Bede claim Cuthbert kept birds from eating the barley crop he grew as he lived in isolation as a monk?
(a) He said, "God will banish your souls to condemnation should you be robbing from His anointed."
(b) He kept a week-long prayer and fast to appeal to God to deliver his crops from the offending birds.
(c) He invented the scarecrow.
(d) He said, ". . . If God has given you permission, then do as He bade you: if not, be off with you, . . ."
Short Answer Questions
1. What institution does Farmer suggest was responsible for the growth of monasteries in Ireland?
2. What kind of battles does Farmer report the church leaders in "The Age of Bede" fought?
3. What came of a phantom fire that came upon a village while Bede reports that Cuthbert was teaching on the distractions of the devil?
4. Over what issue did Wilfrid debate Bishop Colman according to Stephanus?
5. Who does Bede claim first chastised Cuthbert for his idleness and his indulgences?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)