|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the body of Cuthbert buried, according to Bede's record?
(a) In a stone coffin on the right side of the altar in the church of the Blessed Apostle Peter.
(b) In the catacombs of Wearmouth monastery.
(c) In the pasture that he kept during his time as a hermit.
(d) At the bottom of the lake where he kept many prayer vigils.
2. What does Farmer claim to be the document that the earliest monk wrote?
(a) "The Navigatio".
(b) "The Life of Cuthbert".
(c) "The Life of Wilfrid".
(d) "The Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow".
3. What miracle did Cuthbert perform when he brought the Holy Ghost to a village that could only provide tents for him and his retinue?
(a) He healed a blind man who shared his bread with them.
(b) He fed the village a healthy stew made from nothing but a pot of water and three round stones.
(c) He received wood from birds and animals to provide for a fire.
(d) With prayer he cured a boy that was dying.
4. Which of the works in "The Age of Bede" does Farmer claim was popular during the Middle Ages?
(a) "The Life of Cuthbert."
(b) "Voyage of St. Brendan."
(c) " The Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow."
(d) "The Life of Wilfrid."
5. Of what does Stephanus claim Wilfrid accused English bishops prior to his journey to Gaul?
(a) Being too strict with moral limits.
(b) Being corrupt with indulgences.
(c) Being too stiff in worship services.
(d) Being similar in ideology to Celts.
6. Who granted Wilfrid to preach in his first destination after being chased from his see?
(a) King Perctarit.
(b) King Aldgisi.
(c) King Ecgfrith.
(d) King Dagobert.
7. What official does Farmer report presided over the community of monks?
(a) A local abbot.
(b) The Cardinals.
(c) The Pope.
(d) The regional bishop.
8. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
(a) Indulgences, monasticism, and chanting.
(b) Monasticism and the primacy of the spiritual.
(c) The Sacraments, baptism, and confession.
(d) The presbytery and the Holy Roman Empire.
9. Who does Stephanus claim taught Wilfrid the rules of Easter while he was in this city?
(a) Bishop Colman.
(b) Archbishop Dalfinus.
(c) Archbishop Dalfinus.
(d) Bishop Baducing.
10. What institution does Farmer suggest was responsible for the growth of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) The Nobility.
(b) The Clergy.
(c) The family.
(d) The government.
11. What does Farmer report came of Cuthbert after he spent many years in a monastery?
(a) He became a priest.
(b) He became a hermit.
(c) He was appointed Bishop.
(d) He became an usher in the Holy See.
12. What was the result of the prayers Cuthbert led while he and two brethren were stranded during a sea voyage without provisions?
(a) They were provided with dolphin meat and calm seas.
(b) Angels mended their ship while the two brethren slept and Cuthbert kept a prayer vigil.
(c) God ended the storm and provided a passing ship to carry them to their destination.
(d) A whale came to deliver them to their destination.
13. Who was the king who Stephanus reported to follow Wilfrid's guidance to win victories over the Picts and Mercia?
(a) King Erconbehrt.
(b) King Oswiu.
(c) King Alhfrith.
(d) King Ecgfrith.
14. Which duke of Theodoric petitioned the king over the land Wilfrid where was preaching to have Wilfrid sent to him dead or alive, according to Stephanus?
15. Who does Stephanus claim introduced Wilfrid to the Pope?
(a) Boniface the archdeacon.
(b) Archbishop Dalfinus.
(c) Bishop Baducing.
(d) Bishop Colman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Stephanus report Wilfrid first settled after being chased from his see?
2. What sign does Stephanus claim was sent to prove that God intended Wilfred to be a saint?
3. Over what issue did Wilfrid debate Bishop Colman according to Stephanus?
4. What were two things that Bede said he avoided in the prologue?
5. Which document by Bede, according to Farmer, acts as a biography and a local history?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)