|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years does Farmer claim had passed before the biography of Brendan had first appeared?
(a) About 20.
(b) About 210.
(c) About 120.
(d) About 200.
2. Who does Stephanus claim influenced Ecgfrith to drive Wilfrid from his see?
(a) Ecgfrith's queen, Iurminbrugh.
(b) Bishop Winfrid.
(c) Bishop Colman.
(d) King Dagobert.
3. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) The government would raise taxes to support the construction of monasteries.
(b) Nobles would provide land and funding for construction of monasteries.
(c) When a family would convert to Christianity, it would remain together as a group and convert their homes into monasteries.
(d) Clergy would evangelize pagans who would give to support the construction of monasteries.
4. What does Bede claim Cuthbert did to convert water to wine as he stayed at a convent in Tyne?
(a) He performed a wedding and asked for God's provisions over the reception.
(b) He drank the water from a cup.
(c) He spent a night's prayer vigil in a nearby lake.
(d) He dipped the hem of his garment in a cask of water.
5. How many Latin manuscripts of this document does Farmer claim still exists?
6. Who does Bede claim first chastised Cuthbert for his idleness and his indulgences?
(a) A solemn old man.
(b) His maternal grandfather.
(c) A neighbor who caught him in a prank.
(d) A three-year-old child.
7. To whom did Cuthbert prophesy his own death, according to Bede?
(b) The residents on the island Lindisfarne.
(c) Hereberht, the hermit.
(d) Benedict Biscop.
8. What term does Farmer use to identify a community of monks?
(b) The Royal Order.
(c) The Holy Priesthood.
(d) The Holy Knights.
9. What text does Bede report that Boisil recommended to Cuthbert?
(a) The Epistle of St. James, the brother of Jesus.
(b) St. John the Evangelist.
(c) The Epistles of St. Peter.
(d) The Gospel of Luke.
10. Who does Stephanus claim introduced Wilfrid to the Pope?
(a) Bishop Colman.
(b) Boniface the archdeacon.
(c) Bishop Baducing.
(d) Archbishop Dalfinus.
11. Which Northumbrian cleric does Farmer record as being trained in Lindisfarne?
12. What miracle does Stephanus report that Wilfrid performed during the construction of the church at Hexham?
(a) He prayed for the health of the workers and all of them kept their health throughout the project.
(b) He healed through prayer a workman who fell from working on the highest part of the walls in the church.
(c) He prayed over a pile of stones used in the construction and the pile was not exhausted until the church was completed.
(d) He prayed for God's provision of favorable weather and the project did not lose a day due to foul weather.
13. What came of a phantom fire that came upon a village while Bede reports that Cuthbert was teaching on the distractions of the devil?
(a) They disappeared into thin air as Cuthbert prayed.
(b) God brought a torrent of rain that extinguished the phantom.
(c) An angel extinguished the flames with a mighty blow of his trumpet.
(d) Strong winds blew the fires away as soon as Cuthbert prayed for deliverance.
14. In what literary form does Farmer claim Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" is written?
(c) Iambic Pentameter.
15. Which Old Testament prophet does Bede first quote in the first paragraph of Chapter One?
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Cuthbert's Friday fast broken on one occasion at the vesper's hour according to Bede?
2. What miracle did Cuthbert perform when he brought the Holy Ghost to a village that could only provide tents for him and his retinue?
3. Where does Stephanus claim peace was achieved between Wilfrid and his enemies?
4. What does Farmer claim to be the document that the earliest monk wrote?
5. Who does Bede report gave Cuthbert a cure for a tumor on his knee?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)