|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Wilfrid's destination when he left his home, according to Stephanus?
(a) Archbishop Dalfinus who hoped to adopt him as a son.
(b) The home of King Erconberht of Kent.
(c) King Oswiu's queen, Eanfled, to whom he was recommended by noblemen he served in his father's house.
(d) The home of Biscop Baducing.
2. Which duke of Theodoric petitioned the king over the land Wilfrid where was preaching to have Wilfrid sent to him dead or alive, according to Stephanus?
3. Which document by Bede, according to Farmer, acts as a biography and a local history?
(a) "The Life of Cuthbert."
(b) "The History of Abbot Ceolfrith."
(c) "Lives of the Abbots."
(d) "The Life of Wilfrid."
4. What term does Farmer use to identify a community of monks?
(a) The Holy Priesthood.
(b) The Holy Knights.
(c) The Royal Order.
5. What does Bede claim came of the person to whom Cuthbert prophesied his death?
(a) He was made abbot of lindisfarne.
(b) He died at the same time as Cuthbert.
(c) Cuthbert blessed him and he lived many years after receiving the prophesy.
(d) He passed the story of Cuthbert's death to Bede.
6. Which Northumbrian cleric does Farmer record as being trained in Lindisfarne?
7. What kind of battles does Farmer report the church leaders in "The Age of Bede" fought?
(a) Political battles against corrupt kings.
(b) Spiritual battles against invisible diabolical enemies.
(c) Physical battles against pagans seeking to dismantle Christian influences.
(d) Economic battles against land owners who sought land on which churches were built.
8. What does Farmer claim to be the document that the earliest monk wrote?
(a) "The Navigatio".
(b) "The Life of Wilfrid".
(c) "The Life of Cuthbert".
(d) "The Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow".
9. To whom did Bede write the prologue to his "Life of Cuthbert"?
(a) Christians of future generations.
(b) His father.
(c) Christians of who were served by his ministry.
(d) Bishop Eadfrid.
10. What does Bede report Cuthbert used to cure a sick servant to a bodyguard of King Ecgfrith?
(a) A salve brought to him by two otters.
(b) A poltice delivered to him by an angel on horseback.
(c) Water he blessed.
(d) Prayer and fasting.
11. Who was finally found to travel to St. Peter's with Wilfrid, according to Stephanus?
(a) King Erconberht of Kent.
(b) Boniface the Archdeacon.
(c) Bishop Baducing.
(d) Archbishop Dalfinus.
12. Where does Stephanus claim peace was achieved between Wilfrid and his enemies?
(b) The Synod of Nidd.
(d) The Holy Synod.
13. How many years does Farmer claim had passed before the biography of Brendan had first appeared?
(a) About 210.
(b) About 120.
(c) About 20.
(d) About 200.
14. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) When a family would convert to Christianity, it would remain together as a group and convert their homes into monasteries.
(b) Clergy would evangelize pagans who would give to support the construction of monasteries.
(c) The government would raise taxes to support the construction of monasteries.
(d) Nobles would provide land and funding for construction of monasteries.
15. Who does Stephanus claim influenced Ecgfrith to drive Wilfrid from his see?
(a) King Dagobert.
(b) Ecgfrith's queen, Iurminbrugh.
(c) Bishop Winfrid.
(d) Bishop Colman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does Stephanus claim Wilfrid accused English bishops prior to his journey to Gaul?
2. What were Brendan's most important monasteries, according to Farmer?
3. What miracle did Cuthbert perform when he brought the Holy Ghost to a village that could only provide tents for him and his retinue?
4. When Wilfrid's ship had run aground on the English shore and was surrounded by pagans, what event does Stephanus report occurred that preceded a battle between Wilfrid's party and the pagans?
5. What does Farmer report came of Cuthbert after he spent many years in a monastery?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)