|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bede claim Cuthbert did to convert water to wine as he stayed at a convent in Tyne?
(a) He spent a night's prayer vigil in a nearby lake.
(b) He performed a wedding and asked for God's provisions over the reception.
(c) He drank the water from a cup.
(d) He dipped the hem of his garment in a cask of water.
2. As Cuthbert was traveling with a boy during a preaching tour in Chapter 12, how did Bede report that Cuthbert prophesied their food would be provided?
(a) By an eagle.
(b) By two otters.
(c) By a fawn.
(d) By a dog.
3. Who was finally found to travel to St. Peter's with Wilfrid, according to Stephanus?
(a) Archbishop Dalfinus.
(b) Boniface the Archdeacon.
(c) Bishop Baducing.
(d) King Erconberht of Kent.
4. Who gave Wilfrid the monastery at Ripon according to Stephanus?
(a) King Ecgfrith.
(c) King Oswiu.
(d) Bishop Winfrid.
5. What was Wilfrid's destination when he left his home, according to Stephanus?
(a) The home of Biscop Baducing.
(b) King Oswiu's queen, Eanfled, to whom he was recommended by noblemen he served in his father's house.
(c) The home of King Erconberht of Kent.
(d) Archbishop Dalfinus who hoped to adopt him as a son.
6. How did Cuthbert respond to converts who were falling away from the faith, according to Bede?
(a) He ministered to them directly by showing them a life of Christian integrity.
(b) He chastised them with harsh sermons.
(c) He secluded himself and prayed fervently for their integrity.
(d) He traveled to villages to preach the way of truth.
7. Who was the wicked queen who Stephanus wrote persecuted the church and martyred nine bishops?
8. Whose record of Cuthbert's death did Bede use?
(a) Herefrith, a devout priest and abbot of Lindisfarne.
(b) Benedict who was a close friend of Cuthbert.
(c) Wilfrid who asked Bede to take a pilgrimage with him to Rome.
(d) Hwaetbehrt who succeeded him as abbot.
9. How was Cuthbert's Friday fast broken on one occasion at the vesper's hour according to Bede?
(a) Otters brought him a meal of fish from the sea.
(b) Cuthbert's horse pulled on a straw from the roof where he rested that was connected to a bundle of food from God.
(c) Birds brought him bread from a far land.
(d) An angel disgused as an old man fixed him a meal of rice and cakes.
10. To what book does Bede refer for support of other angels who rode on horseback?
(a) The history of the Maccabees.
(b) The Psalms.
(c) The Navigato.
11. How many Latin manuscripts of this document does Farmer claim still exists?
12. Why did Bede address his prologue to its named recipient?
(a) So the reader would know that the work was undertaken in compliance with the Bishop's wishes.
(b) To show his father that his devotion was being manifested in good works.
(c) To assure future Christians that the church was founded by men of reliable virtue.
(d) To affirm he virtues of Cuthbert to those whom he served.
13. Who does Stephanus claim influenced Ecgfrith to drive Wilfrid from his see?
(a) Bishop Winfrid.
(b) Bishop Colman.
(c) Ecgfrith's queen, Iurminbrugh.
(d) King Dagobert.
14. Who does Stephanus report restored Wilfrid to his see?
(a) King Ecgfrith.
(c) Pope Agatho and the Holy Synod.
(d) Archbishop Berhtrwald.
15. What does Bede claim came of the person to whom Cuthbert prophesied his death?
(a) He passed the story of Cuthbert's death to Bede.
(b) He died at the same time as Cuthbert.
(c) Cuthbert blessed him and he lived many years after receiving the prophesy.
(d) He was made abbot of lindisfarne.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Bede report gave Cuthbert a cure for a tumor on his knee?
2. How old was Wilfrid when Stephanus reported he left home to seek the kingdom of Heaven?
3. What institution does Farmer suggest was responsible for the growth of monasteries in Ireland?
4. Why was Cuthbert inspired to rise from his sickbed in Chapter 8, according to Bede?
5. What sign does Stephanus claim was sent to prove that God intended Wilfred to be a saint?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)