|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Stephanus, how did the expansion of the Kingdom that Wilfrid advised expand his authority as Bishop?
(a) Wilfrid became bishop over the Saxons, British, Scots, and Picts.
(b) Wilfrid was recognized by Rome as a powerful Bishop of England.
(c) Wilfrid used the expansion of the kingdom to claim more lands for the church.
(d) Wilfrid became wealthier from the expansion of the kingdom and used his wealth to buy support from Rome.
2. Who granted Wilfrid to preach in his first destination after being chased from his see?
(a) King Aldgisi.
(b) King Perctarit.
(c) King Dagobert.
(d) King Ecgfrith.
3. What does Farmer report came of Cuthbert after he spent many years in a monastery?
(a) He was appointed Bishop.
(b) He became a hermit.
(c) He became an usher in the Holy See.
(d) He became a priest.
4. What text does Bede report that Boisil recommended to Cuthbert?
(a) The Gospel of Luke.
(b) St. John the Evangelist.
(c) The Epistle of St. James, the brother of Jesus.
(d) The Epistles of St. Peter.
5. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
(a) The presbytery and the Holy Roman Empire.
(b) Indulgences, monasticism, and chanting.
(c) The Sacraments, baptism, and confession.
(d) Monasticism and the primacy of the spiritual.
6. Where does Stephanus claim peace was achieved between Wilfrid and his enemies?
(a) The Holy Synod.
(c) The Synod of Nidd.
7. Which Irish apostle, according to Farmer, became famous for the founding of the Bobbio and Saint-Gall monasteries.
8. Farmer asserts that the "Navigatio" is a fascinating mixture of what?
(a) History, fact, and economic theory.
(b) Intrigue, sound doctrine, and drama.
(c) Fantasy, doctrine, and mystery.
(d) Fact, fantasy, and literary borrowing.
9. How does Bede claim Cuthbert kept birds from eating the barley crop he grew as he lived in isolation as a monk?
(a) He kept a week-long prayer and fast to appeal to God to deliver his crops from the offending birds.
(b) He said, ". . . If God has given you permission, then do as He bade you: if not, be off with you, . . ."
(c) He said, "God will banish your souls to condemnation should you be robbing from His anointed."
(d) He invented the scarecrow.
10. Who does Bede report gave Cuthbert a cure for a tumor on his knee?
(a) An angel carrying a gold trumpet.
(b) An angel dressed in white riding a horse.
(c) The village doctor.
(d) Three strangers who were travelling through his town.
11. Which document by Bede, according to Farmer, acts as a biography and a local history?
(a) "The History of Abbot Ceolfrith."
(b) "Lives of the Abbots."
(c) "The Life of Wilfrid."
(d) "The Life of Cuthbert."
12. What does Farmer claim to be the document that the earliest monk wrote?
(a) "The Life of Cuthbert".
(b) "The Life of Wilfrid".
(c) "The Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow".
(d) "The Navigatio".
13. Who kept Wilfrid until Stephanus claimed he could meet with suitable travelers as he began his journey to St. Peter's see?
(a) Bishop Agilberht.
(b) Biscop Baducing.
(c) Queen Eanfled's cousin, King Erconberht of Kent.
(d) Archbishop Dalfinus.
14. What did Bede claim to be Cuthbert's preoccupation when he was still eight years old?
(a) Hunting and adventuring.
(b) Reading and writing.
(c) Games and carefree play.
(d) Praying and Chanting.
15. Who does Farmer report to be the earliest monk of the British Isles?
(a) Ceolfrith, a monk of Wearmouth.
(b) Benedict, a Roman bishop.
(c) Brendan, an Irish monk.
(d) Cuthbert, a hermit of Lindisfarne.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Stephanus report led a synod which was actually a trap to take the properties that were under Wilfrid's authority?
2. Who does Stephanus claim introduced Wilfrid to the Pope?
3. Why was Cuthbert inspired to rise from his sickbed in Chapter 8, according to Bede?
4. What sign does Stephanus claim was sent to prove that God intended Wilfred to be a saint?
5. Where is the body of Cuthbert buried, according to Bede's record?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)