|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What miracle does Stephanus report that Wilfrid performed during the construction of the church at Hexham?
(a) He healed through prayer a workman who fell from working on the highest part of the walls in the church.
(b) He prayed for the health of the workers and all of them kept their health throughout the project.
(c) He prayed over a pile of stones used in the construction and the pile was not exhausted until the church was completed.
(d) He prayed for God's provision of favorable weather and the project did not lose a day due to foul weather.
2. Which cleric does Farmer identify as coming from Northumbria and trained at Melrose?
(d) Columba of Iona.
3. Who does Farmer report to be the earliest monk of the British Isles?
(a) Benedict, a Roman bishop.
(b) Cuthbert, a hermit of Lindisfarne.
(c) Brendan, an Irish monk.
(d) Ceolfrith, a monk of Wearmouth.
4. What institution does Farmer suggest was responsible for the growth of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) The Nobility.
(b) The Clergy.
(c) The government.
(d) The family.
5. What does Farmer claim to be the document that the earliest monk wrote?
(a) "The Life of Cuthbert".
(b) "The Navigatio".
(c) "The Life of Wilfrid".
(d) "The Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow".
6. As Cuthbert was traveling with a boy during a preaching tour in Chapter 12, how did Bede report that Cuthbert prophesied their food would be provided?
(a) By an eagle.
(b) By a fawn.
(c) By a dog.
(d) By two otters.
7. Why did Bede address his prologue to its named recipient?
(a) So the reader would know that the work was undertaken in compliance with the Bishop's wishes.
(b) To show his father that his devotion was being manifested in good works.
(c) To affirm he virtues of Cuthbert to those whom he served.
(d) To assure future Christians that the church was founded by men of reliable virtue.
8. What does Bede claim came of the person to whom Cuthbert prophesied his death?
(a) He was made abbot of lindisfarne.
(b) He died at the same time as Cuthbert.
(c) He passed the story of Cuthbert's death to Bede.
(d) Cuthbert blessed him and he lived many years after receiving the prophesy.
9. Where is the body of Cuthbert buried, according to Bede's record?
(a) In a stone coffin on the right side of the altar in the church of the Blessed Apostle Peter.
(b) In the pasture that he kept during his time as a hermit.
(c) At the bottom of the lake where he kept many prayer vigils.
(d) In the catacombs of Wearmouth monastery.
10. When Wilfrid's ship had run aground on the English shore and was surrounded by pagans, what event does Stephanus report occurred that preceded a battle between Wilfrid's party and the pagans?
(a) Wilfrid blessed a stone that he used to heal a companion cursed by a pagan wizard.
(b) Wilfrid called down angels to ward off a curse from a pagan wizard.
(c) A legion of angels protected Wilfrid's companions from an attack led by a pagan wizard.
(d) One of Wilfrid's companions killed the pagan's wizard with a stone blessed by the party from the ship.
11. What does Bede report Cuthbert used to cure a sick servant to a bodyguard of King Ecgfrith?
(a) Prayer and fasting.
(b) A poltice delivered to him by an angel on horseback.
(c) A salve brought to him by two otters.
(d) Water he blessed.
12. Who does Stephanus claim influenced Ecgfrith to drive Wilfrid from his see?
(a) Ecgfrith's queen, Iurminbrugh.
(b) Bishop Winfrid.
(c) King Dagobert.
(d) Bishop Colman.
13. Where did Stephanus report Wilfrid first settled after being chased from his see?
14. Who does Stephanus report restored Wilfrid to his see?
(a) Pope Agatho and the Holy Synod.
(c) Archbishop Berhtrwald.
(d) King Ecgfrith.
15. Who was the king who Stephanus reported to follow Wilfrid's guidance to win victories over the Picts and Mercia?
(a) King Erconbehrt.
(b) King Oswiu.
(c) King Alhfrith.
(d) King Ecgfrith.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect did abbots in Ireland have on the influence of bishops, according to Farmer?
2. What was Wilfrid's destination when he left his home, according to Stephanus?
3. What did Bede claim to be Cuthbert's preoccupation when he was still eight years old?
4. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
5. How many Latin manuscripts of this document does Farmer claim still exists?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)