|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bede report Cuthbert used to cure a sick servant to a bodyguard of King Ecgfrith?
(a) A salve brought to him by two otters.
(b) Prayer and fasting.
(c) A poltice delivered to him by an angel on horseback.
(d) Water he blessed.
2. What miracle did Cuthbert perform when he brought the Holy Ghost to a village that could only provide tents for him and his retinue?
(a) He fed the village a healthy stew made from nothing but a pot of water and three round stones.
(b) He healed a blind man who shared his bread with them.
(c) With prayer he cured a boy that was dying.
(d) He received wood from birds and animals to provide for a fire.
3. Whose record of Cuthbert's death did Bede use?
(a) Hwaetbehrt who succeeded him as abbot.
(b) Wilfrid who asked Bede to take a pilgrimage with him to Rome.
(c) Benedict who was a close friend of Cuthbert.
(d) Herefrith, a devout priest and abbot of Lindisfarne.
4. To what biblical story does Stephanus compare the event that preceded the battle between Wilfrid's party and the pagans?
(a) The story of Caleb taking his mountain.
(b) The story of David and Goliath.
(c) The story of Gideon.
(d) The story of the Israelites taking the Holy land from the Philistines.
5. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
(a) The presbytery and the Holy Roman Empire.
(b) Monasticism and the primacy of the spiritual.
(c) The Sacraments, baptism, and confession.
(d) Indulgences, monasticism, and chanting.
6. What sign does Stephanus claim was sent to prove that God intended Wilfred to be a saint?
(a) The seas were calmed after storms shiprwrecked his party.
(b) He brought a baby back from death.
(c) God sent an angel to protect the monastery at Oundle.
(d) God brought defeat to kings who opposed him.
7. After he listened to the chastisement, what does Bede report to be Cuthbert's response?
(a) He began studying writing more seriously to produce works fit for public consumption.
(b) He stopped spending so much time adventuring and devoted himself more seriously to studying the Bible.
(c) He forsook foolish games immediately and showed himself to be more mature and earnest.
(d) He began working harder on his chants to serve the worship needs of his town.
8. Who does Stephanus claim introduced Wilfrid to the Pope?
(a) Archbishop Dalfinus.
(b) Bishop Colman.
(c) Bishop Baducing.
(d) Boniface the archdeacon.
9. When Wilfrid's ship had run aground on the English shore and was surrounded by pagans, what event does Stephanus report occurred that preceded a battle between Wilfrid's party and the pagans?
(a) Wilfrid called down angels to ward off a curse from a pagan wizard.
(b) A legion of angels protected Wilfrid's companions from an attack led by a pagan wizard.
(c) One of Wilfrid's companions killed the pagan's wizard with a stone blessed by the party from the ship.
(d) Wilfrid blessed a stone that he used to heal a companion cursed by a pagan wizard.
10. For what two countries does Farmer claim "The Age of Bede" to be an important source of early Christian Church history?
(a) Rome and Ireland.
(b) England and Ireland.
(c) Ireland and The Netherlands.
(d) England and France.
11. Which of the works in "The Age of Bede" does Farmer claim was popular during the Middle Ages?
(a) "The Life of Wilfrid."
(b) "Voyage of St. Brendan."
(c) " The Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow."
(d) "The Life of Cuthbert."
12. Which Old Testament prophet does Bede first quote in the first paragraph of Chapter One?
13. Who does Farmer report to be the earliest monk of the British Isles?
(a) Brendan, an Irish monk.
(b) Ceolfrith, a monk of Wearmouth.
(c) Benedict, a Roman bishop.
(d) Cuthbert, a hermit of Lindisfarne.
14. To what office did Stephanus claim Agilberht ordained Wilfrid?
15. To what book does Bede refer for support of other angels who rode on horseback?
(a) The Psalms.
(b) The history of the Maccabees.
(d) The Navigato.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bede claim came of the person to whom Cuthbert prophesied his death?
2. What were the reasons that Stephanus gave for Wilfrid deciding to bring a dead child back to life in the village of On Tiddanufri?
3. Who does Stephanus report restored Wilfrid to his see?
4. What term does Farmer use to identify a community of monks?
5. What does Farmer claim to be the document that the earliest monk wrote?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)