|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what does Stephanus claim Wilfrid accused English bishops prior to his journey to Gaul?
(a) Being similar in ideology to Celts.
(b) Being too strict with moral limits.
(c) Being too stiff in worship services.
(d) Being corrupt with indulgences.
2. To what office did Stephanus claim Agilberht ordained Wilfrid?
3. What were the reasons that Stephanus gave for Wilfrid deciding to bring a dead child back to life in the village of On Tiddanufri?
(a) Wilfrid had no doubt about the power of Christ and was impressed by the faith of the mother.
(b) Wilfrid sought to use the miracle to affirm the power of Christ in the village that was back sliding.
(c) Wilfrid used the miracle to frighten off pagans who were gathering to kill him.
(d) Wilfrid knew that such a miracle would bring many pagans to Christ.
4. What official does Farmer report presided over the community of monks?
(a) The Pope.
(b) The Cardinals.
(c) The regional bishop.
(d) A local abbot.
5. After he listened to the chastisement, what does Bede report to be Cuthbert's response?
(a) He forsook foolish games immediately and showed himself to be more mature and earnest.
(b) He stopped spending so much time adventuring and devoted himself more seriously to studying the Bible.
(c) He began working harder on his chants to serve the worship needs of his town.
(d) He began studying writing more seriously to produce works fit for public consumption.
6. What miracle did Cuthbert perform when he brought the Holy Ghost to a village that could only provide tents for him and his retinue?
(a) He received wood from birds and animals to provide for a fire.
(b) He fed the village a healthy stew made from nothing but a pot of water and three round stones.
(c) With prayer he cured a boy that was dying.
(d) He healed a blind man who shared his bread with them.
7. What miracle does Stephanus report that Wilfrid performed during the construction of the church at Hexham?
(a) He healed through prayer a workman who fell from working on the highest part of the walls in the church.
(b) He prayed for the health of the workers and all of them kept their health throughout the project.
(c) He prayed for God's provision of favorable weather and the project did not lose a day due to foul weather.
(d) He prayed over a pile of stones used in the construction and the pile was not exhausted until the church was completed.
8. To what biblical story does Stephanus compare the event that preceded the battle between Wilfrid's party and the pagans?
(a) The story of David and Goliath.
(b) The story of Gideon.
(c) The story of the Israelites taking the Holy land from the Philistines.
(d) The story of Caleb taking his mountain.
9. What came of a phantom fire that came upon a village while Bede reports that Cuthbert was teaching on the distractions of the devil?
(a) They disappeared into thin air as Cuthbert prayed.
(b) An angel extinguished the flames with a mighty blow of his trumpet.
(c) God brought a torrent of rain that extinguished the phantom.
(d) Strong winds blew the fires away as soon as Cuthbert prayed for deliverance.
10. What effect did abbots in Ireland have on the influence of bishops, according to Farmer?
(a) They strengthened the bishops by collecting indulgences for them.
(b) They had no affect on the bishops.
(c) They diminished the influence of bishops.
(d) The provided the channels for bishops to influence the population.
11. Who kept Wilfrid until Stephanus claimed he could meet with suitable travelers as he began his journey to St. Peter's see?
(a) Bishop Agilberht.
(b) Biscop Baducing.
(c) Archbishop Dalfinus.
(d) Queen Eanfled's cousin, King Erconberht of Kent.
12. What was the first miracle that Bede reports that Cuthbert performed?
(a) He healed himself of a lame leg.
(b) He calmed a wind that had nearly blown rafts carrying monks to sea with his prayers.
(c) He healed a sick boy near death.
(d) He brought a sheriff's wife back to life.
13. Who was finally found to travel to St. Peter's with Wilfrid, according to Stephanus?
(a) Archbishop Dalfinus.
(b) Boniface the Archdeacon.
(c) Bishop Baducing.
(d) King Erconberht of Kent.
14. Which document by Bede, according to Farmer, acts as a biography and a local history?
(a) "The History of Abbot Ceolfrith."
(b) "Lives of the Abbots."
(c) "The Life of Cuthbert."
(d) "The Life of Wilfrid."
15. What institution does Farmer suggest was responsible for the growth of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) The Nobility.
(b) The family.
(c) The government.
(d) The Clergy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the works in "The Age of Bede" does Farmer claim was popular during the Middle Ages?
2. Who does Farmer report to be the earliest monk of the British Isles?
3. How many years does Farmer claim had passed before the biography of Brendan had first appeared?
4. What were Brendan's most important monasteries, according to Farmer?
5. Who does Stephanus claim influenced Ecgfrith to drive Wilfrid from his see?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)