|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who kept Wilfrid until Stephanus claimed he could meet with suitable travelers as he began his journey to St. Peter's see?
(a) Queen Eanfled's cousin, King Erconberht of Kent.
(b) Archbishop Dalfinus.
(c) Bishop Agilberht.
(d) Biscop Baducing.
2. To what biblical story does Stephanus compare the event that preceded the battle between Wilfrid's party and the pagans?
(a) The story of the Israelites taking the Holy land from the Philistines.
(b) The story of David and Goliath.
(c) The story of Caleb taking his mountain.
(d) The story of Gideon.
3. Who was finally found to travel to St. Peter's with Wilfrid, according to Stephanus?
(a) King Erconberht of Kent.
(b) Boniface the Archdeacon.
(c) Archbishop Dalfinus.
(d) Bishop Baducing.
4. According to Stephanus, how did the expansion of the Kingdom that Wilfrid advised expand his authority as Bishop?
(a) Wilfrid became bishop over the Saxons, British, Scots, and Picts.
(b) Wilfrid used the expansion of the kingdom to claim more lands for the church.
(c) Wilfrid became wealthier from the expansion of the kingdom and used his wealth to buy support from Rome.
(d) Wilfrid was recognized by Rome as a powerful Bishop of England.
5. What kind of battles does Farmer report the church leaders in "The Age of Bede" fought?
(a) Spiritual battles against invisible diabolical enemies.
(b) Physical battles against pagans seeking to dismantle Christian influences.
(c) Political battles against corrupt kings.
(d) Economic battles against land owners who sought land on which churches were built.
6. Who does Farmer report to be the earliest monk of the British Isles?
(a) Benedict, a Roman bishop.
(b) Brendan, an Irish monk.
(c) Ceolfrith, a monk of Wearmouth.
(d) Cuthbert, a hermit of Lindisfarne.
7. Which document by Bede, according to Farmer, acts as a biography and a local history?
(a) "The History of Abbot Ceolfrith."
(b) "The Life of Wilfrid."
(c) "The Life of Cuthbert."
(d) "Lives of the Abbots."
8. What does Stephanus claim was the King's response to the request that Wilfrid be sent to the duke?
(a) The king ignored the request.
(b) He sent back a message that he had already executed Wilfrid to buy him time to escape.
(c) He tore up the scroll upon which the request was written in the audience of his court.
(d) He promptly captured Wilfrid and sent him back to the petitioner, but God spared Wilfrid the condemnation.
9. Which Old Testament prophet does Bede first quote in the first paragraph of Chapter One?
10. For what two countries does Farmer claim "The Age of Bede" to be an important source of early Christian Church history?
(a) England and Ireland.
(b) Ireland and The Netherlands.
(c) Rome and Ireland.
(d) England and France.
11. What principal apostle of Ireland does Farmer claim encouraged monasticism for men and women?
(a) St. Benedict.
(b) St. Ceolfrith.
(c) St. Brendan.
(d) St. Patrick.
12. What animal does Bede claim ministered to Cuthbert after he spent a night in prayer in the water off the sea shore?
(a) Two otters.
(b) A dog.
(c) A fawn.
(d) An eagle.
13. Which of the works in "The Age of Bede" does Farmer claim was popular during the Middle Ages?
(a) "The Life of Wilfrid."
(b) "The Life of Cuthbert."
(c) "Voyage of St. Brendan."
(d) " The Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow."
14. How did Cuthbert respond to converts who were falling away from the faith, according to Bede?
(a) He secluded himself and prayed fervently for their integrity.
(b) He chastised them with harsh sermons.
(c) He ministered to them directly by showing them a life of Christian integrity.
(d) He traveled to villages to preach the way of truth.
15. What miracle does Stephanus report that Wilfrid performed during the construction of the church at Hexham?
(a) He healed through prayer a workman who fell from working on the highest part of the walls in the church.
(b) He prayed for God's provision of favorable weather and the project did not lose a day due to foul weather.
(c) He prayed over a pile of stones used in the construction and the pile was not exhausted until the church was completed.
(d) He prayed for the health of the workers and all of them kept their health throughout the project.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Stephanus report led a synod which was actually a trap to take the properties that were under Wilfrid's authority?
2. After he listened to the chastisement, what does Bede report to be Cuthbert's response?
3. To whom did Stephanus address his record of the "Life of Wilfrid"?
4. To whom did Cuthbert prophesy his own death, according to Bede?
5. How does Bede claim Cuthbert kept birds from eating the barley crop he grew as he lived in isolation as a monk?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)