|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Bede report reviewed and revised his work?
(d) The Priest Herefrith.
2. Where is the body of Cuthbert buried, according to Bede's record?
(a) In the pasture that he kept during his time as a hermit.
(b) In the catacombs of Wearmouth monastery.
(c) At the bottom of the lake where he kept many prayer vigils.
(d) In a stone coffin on the right side of the altar in the church of the Blessed Apostle Peter.
3. Which Irish apostle, according to Farmer, became famous for the founding of the Bobbio and Saint-Gall monasteries.
4. What miracle did Cuthbert perform when he brought the Holy Ghost to a village that could only provide tents for him and his retinue?
(a) He fed the village a healthy stew made from nothing but a pot of water and three round stones.
(b) With prayer he cured a boy that was dying.
(c) He healed a blind man who shared his bread with them.
(d) He received wood from birds and animals to provide for a fire.
5. How did Cuthbert respond to converts who were falling away from the faith, according to Bede?
(a) He ministered to them directly by showing them a life of Christian integrity.
(b) He secluded himself and prayed fervently for their integrity.
(c) He chastised them with harsh sermons.
(d) He traveled to villages to preach the way of truth.
6. Who kept Wilfrid until Stephanus claimed he could meet with suitable travelers as he began his journey to St. Peter's see?
(a) Bishop Agilberht.
(b) Archbishop Dalfinus.
(c) Biscop Baducing.
(d) Queen Eanfled's cousin, King Erconberht of Kent.
7. What came of a phantom fire that came upon a village while Bede reports that Cuthbert was teaching on the distractions of the devil?
(a) An angel extinguished the flames with a mighty blow of his trumpet.
(b) They disappeared into thin air as Cuthbert prayed.
(c) God brought a torrent of rain that extinguished the phantom.
(d) Strong winds blew the fires away as soon as Cuthbert prayed for deliverance.
8. How does Bede claim Christian converts profaned their faith in Chapter 9?
(a) With their works.
(b) With the coarse language.
(c) With their ill-gotten gains.
(d) With their sloth.
9. Who does Farmer claim enabled Wilfred to travel to visit other churches through Europe?
(a) Bishop Colman.
(d) Enfleda, Queen of Northumbria.
10. Who granted Wilfrid to preach in his first destination after being chased from his see?
(a) King Dagobert.
(b) King Perctarit.
(c) King Aldgisi.
(d) King Ecgfrith.
11. Who does Farmer report to be the earliest monk of the British Isles?
(a) Brendan, an Irish monk.
(b) Ceolfrith, a monk of Wearmouth.
(c) Cuthbert, a hermit of Lindisfarne.
(d) Benedict, a Roman bishop.
12. What term does Farmer use to identify a community of monks?
(a) The Holy Priesthood.
(b) The Holy Knights.
(d) The Royal Order.
13. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) When a family would convert to Christianity, it would remain together as a group and convert their homes into monasteries.
(b) Clergy would evangelize pagans who would give to support the construction of monasteries.
(c) Nobles would provide land and funding for construction of monasteries.
(d) The government would raise taxes to support the construction of monasteries.
14. Where did Stephanus report Wilfrid first settled after being chased from his see?
15. Why did Bede address his prologue to its named recipient?
(a) So the reader would know that the work was undertaken in compliance with the Bishop's wishes.
(b) To assure future Christians that the church was founded by men of reliable virtue.
(c) To show his father that his devotion was being manifested in good works.
(d) To affirm he virtues of Cuthbert to those whom he served.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the result of the prayers Cuthbert led while he and two brethren were stranded during a sea voyage without provisions?
2. Which of the works in "The Age of Bede" does Farmer claim was popular during the Middle Ages?
3. What official does Farmer report presided over the community of monks?
4. Of what does Stephanus claim Wilfrid accused English bishops prior to his journey to Gaul?
5. What does Bede report Cuthbert used to cure a sick servant to a bodyguard of King Ecgfrith?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)