|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Stephanus claim introduced Wilfrid to the Pope?
(a) Bishop Colman.
(b) Archbishop Dalfinus.
(c) Bishop Baducing.
(d) Boniface the archdeacon.
2. Who kept Wilfrid until Stephanus claimed he could meet with suitable travelers as he began his journey to St. Peter's see?
(a) Biscop Baducing.
(b) Bishop Agilberht.
(c) Archbishop Dalfinus.
(d) Queen Eanfled's cousin, King Erconberht of Kent.
3. Where did Stephanus report Wilfrid first settled after being chased from his see?
4. Who does Stephanus report restored Wilfrid to his see?
(a) Archbishop Berhtrwald.
(b) Pope Agatho and the Holy Synod.
(d) King Ecgfrith.
5. Who was the wicked queen who Stephanus wrote persecuted the church and martyred nine bishops?
6. Who does Stephanus claim influenced Ecgfrith to drive Wilfrid from his see?
(a) Bishop Winfrid.
(b) Ecgfrith's queen, Iurminbrugh.
(c) King Dagobert.
(d) Bishop Colman.
7. Which of the works in "The Age of Bede" does Farmer claim was popular during the Middle Ages?
(a) "Voyage of St. Brendan."
(b) "The Life of Cuthbert."
(c) "The Life of Wilfrid."
(d) " The Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow."
8. What miracle does Stephanus report that Wilfrid performed during the construction of the church at Hexham?
(a) He healed through prayer a workman who fell from working on the highest part of the walls in the church.
(b) He prayed over a pile of stones used in the construction and the pile was not exhausted until the church was completed.
(c) He prayed for God's provision of favorable weather and the project did not lose a day due to foul weather.
(d) He prayed for the health of the workers and all of them kept their health throughout the project.
9. What were two things that Bede said he avoided in the prologue?
(a) Criticism and pessimism.
(b) Doctrine and legalism.
(c) Judgementalism and piety.
(d) Ambiguity and hair-splitting.
10. Over what issue did Wilfrid debate Bishop Colman according to Stephanus?
(a) The importance of miracles in identifying saints.
(b) The specific day upon which to celebrate Easter.
(c) The parallels between Yom Kippur and Christmas.
(d) The role of icons in affirming faith.
11. In what city did Stephanus report Wilfrid's traveling companion leave him after they started their journey to St. Peter's?
12. Which Irish apostle, according to Farmer, became famous for the founding of the Bobbio and Saint-Gall monasteries.
13. As Cuthbert was traveling with a boy during a preaching tour in Chapter 12, how did Bede report that Cuthbert prophesied their food would be provided?
(a) By a fawn.
(b) By a dog.
(c) By an eagle.
(d) By two otters.
14. What does Bede claim came of the person to whom Cuthbert prophesied his death?
(a) He died at the same time as Cuthbert.
(b) He was made abbot of lindisfarne.
(c) Cuthbert blessed him and he lived many years after receiving the prophesy.
(d) He passed the story of Cuthbert's death to Bede.
15. What was the first miracle that Bede reports that Cuthbert performed?
(a) He healed himself of a lame leg.
(b) He brought a sheriff's wife back to life.
(c) He calmed a wind that had nearly blown rafts carrying monks to sea with his prayers.
(d) He healed a sick boy near death.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were Brendan's most important monasteries, according to Farmer?
2. Who does Farmer report to be the earliest monk of the British Isles?
3. How old was Wilfrid when Stephanus reported he left home to seek the kingdom of Heaven?
4. To whom did Stephanus address his record of the "Life of Wilfrid"?
5. What does Farmer report came of Cuthbert after he spent many years in a monastery?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)