|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What miracle does Stephanus report that Wilfrid performed during the construction of the church at Hexham?
(a) He prayed for the health of the workers and all of them kept their health throughout the project.
(b) He prayed over a pile of stones used in the construction and the pile was not exhausted until the church was completed.
(c) He prayed for God's provision of favorable weather and the project did not lose a day due to foul weather.
(d) He healed through prayer a workman who fell from working on the highest part of the walls in the church.
2. Where is the body of Cuthbert buried, according to Bede's record?
(a) In the catacombs of Wearmouth monastery.
(b) In a stone coffin on the right side of the altar in the church of the Blessed Apostle Peter.
(c) In the pasture that he kept during his time as a hermit.
(d) At the bottom of the lake where he kept many prayer vigils.
3. Who gave Wilfrid the monastery at Ripon according to Stephanus?
(b) King Ecgfrith.
(c) King Oswiu.
(d) Bishop Winfrid.
4. To whom did Cuthbert prophesy his own death, according to Bede?
(a) Benedict Biscop.
(b) The residents on the island Lindisfarne.
(c) Hereberht, the hermit.
5. For what two countries does Farmer claim "The Age of Bede" to be an important source of early Christian Church history?
(a) England and France.
(b) Rome and Ireland.
(c) England and Ireland.
(d) Ireland and The Netherlands.
6. Who kept Wilfrid until Stephanus claimed he could meet with suitable travelers as he began his journey to St. Peter's see?
(a) Archbishop Dalfinus.
(b) Biscop Baducing.
(c) Bishop Agilberht.
(d) Queen Eanfled's cousin, King Erconberht of Kent.
7. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
(a) Monasticism and the primacy of the spiritual.
(b) The presbytery and the Holy Roman Empire.
(c) The Sacraments, baptism, and confession.
(d) Indulgences, monasticism, and chanting.
8. What was the result of the prayers Cuthbert led while he and two brethren were stranded during a sea voyage without provisions?
(a) Angels mended their ship while the two brethren slept and Cuthbert kept a prayer vigil.
(b) God ended the storm and provided a passing ship to carry them to their destination.
(c) They were provided with dolphin meat and calm seas.
(d) A whale came to deliver them to their destination.
9. As Cuthbert was traveling with a boy during a preaching tour in Chapter 12, how did Bede report that Cuthbert prophesied their food would be provided?
(a) By two otters.
(b) By a dog.
(c) By an eagle.
(d) By a fawn.
10. The saints who are detailed in "The Age of Bede" lived in what two centuries according to Farmer?
(a) The fifth and sixth A.D.
(b) The sixth and seventh A.D.
(c) The fourth and fifth B.C.
(d) The sixth and seventh B.C.
11. What were Brendan's most important monasteries, according to Farmer?
(a) Clonfert, Annadown, Inishadroum, and Ardfert.
(b) Wearmouth, Jarrow, Lindisfarne, and Melrose.
(c) Annadown, Christendom, Confert, and Melrose.
(d) Northumbria, Whitby, Inishadroum, and Jarrow.
12. Who does Bede claim first chastised Cuthbert for his idleness and his indulgences?
(a) A three-year-old child.
(b) A neighbor who caught him in a prank.
(c) His maternal grandfather.
(d) A solemn old man.
13. Which cleric does Farmer identify as coming from Northumbria and trained at Melrose?
(b) Columba of Iona.
14. Who does Farmer claim enabled Wilfred to travel to visit other churches through Europe?
(a) Bishop Colman.
(b) Enfleda, Queen of Northumbria.
15. Who does Stephanus report led a synod which was actually a trap to take the properties that were under Wilfrid's authority?
(a) Archbishop Berhtwald.
(b) Archdeacon Boniface.
(c) Bishop Colman.
(d) Pope Agatho.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Farmer credit with writing the earliest "Life of Cuthbert"?
2. What does Stephanus claim was the King's response to the request that Wilfrid be sent to the duke?
3. What were the reasons that Stephanus gave for Wilfrid deciding to bring a dead child back to life in the village of On Tiddanufri?
4. Where does Stephanus claim peace was achieved between Wilfrid and his enemies?
5. What sign does Stephanus claim that God used to indicate that Wilfrid would serve him in the future?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)