|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Farmer claim to be the document that the earliest monk wrote?
(a) "The Life of Wilfrid".
(b) "The Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow".
(c) "The Life of Cuthbert".
(d) "The Navigatio".
2. Why was Cuthbert inspired to rise from his sickbed in Chapter 8, according to Bede?
(a) Because he knew that God had certainly heard the prayers of the monks praying for him.
(b) Because he knew that God would provide him strength to carry out ministry.
(c) Because he desired to be an inspiration to those in need.
(d) Because he did not want to neglect the responsibility God had put before him.
3. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
(a) The Sacraments, baptism, and confession.
(b) The presbytery and the Holy Roman Empire.
(c) Indulgences, monasticism, and chanting.
(d) Monasticism and the primacy of the spiritual.
4. How many texts does D.H. Farmer report in the Introduction comprise "The Age of Bede"?
5. What were two things that Bede said he avoided in the prologue?
(a) Ambiguity and hair-splitting.
(b) Criticism and pessimism.
(c) Doctrine and legalism.
(d) Judgementalism and piety.
6. What sign does Stephanus claim was sent to prove that God intended Wilfred to be a saint?
(a) The seas were calmed after storms shiprwrecked his party.
(b) God brought defeat to kings who opposed him.
(c) He brought a baby back from death.
(d) God sent an angel to protect the monastery at Oundle.
7. What was the quote from the Psalms that Bede used to support God's hand in the event?
(a) "I have directed you in the way of wisdom; I have led you in upright paths."
(b) "A wise son accepts his father's discipline, But a scoffer does not listen to rebuke."
(c) "Out of the mouths of babes and sucklings Thou has perfected praise."
(d) "When you walk about they will guide you; When you sleep, they will watch over you."
8. What effect did abbots in Ireland have on the influence of bishops, according to Farmer?
(a) They strengthened the bishops by collecting indulgences for them.
(b) They diminished the influence of bishops.
(c) The provided the channels for bishops to influence the population.
(d) They had no affect on the bishops.
9. What does Farmer claim to be the name of the author of the "Navigatio"?
(d) Eddius Stephanus.
10. Over what issue did Wilfrid debate Bishop Colman according to Stephanus?
(a) The parallels between Yom Kippur and Christmas.
(b) The importance of miracles in identifying saints.
(c) The specific day upon which to celebrate Easter.
(d) The role of icons in affirming faith.
11. What did Bede claim to be Cuthbert's preoccupation when he was still eight years old?
(a) Games and carefree play.
(b) Reading and writing.
(c) Praying and Chanting.
(d) Hunting and adventuring.
12. Which Irish apostle, according to Farmer, became famous for the founding of the Bobbio and Saint-Gall monasteries.
13. Which cleric does Farmer identify as coming from Northumbria and trained at Melrose?
(a) Columba of Iona.
14. What text does Bede report that Boisil recommended to Cuthbert?
(a) St. John the Evangelist.
(b) The Epistles of St. Peter.
(c) The Epistle of St. James, the brother of Jesus.
(d) The Gospel of Luke.
15. Which duke of Theodoric petitioned the king over the land Wilfrid where was preaching to have Wilfrid sent to him dead or alive, according to Stephanus?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Stephanus report led a synod which was actually a trap to take the properties that were under Wilfrid's authority?
2. How did Cuthbert respond to converts who were falling away from the faith, according to Bede?
3. In what literary form does Farmer claim Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" is written?
4. Who was the king who Stephanus reported to follow Wilfrid's guidance to win victories over the Picts and Mercia?
5. What does Bede report Cuthbert used to cure a sick servant to a bodyguard of King Ecgfrith?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)