|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, The Voyage of Saint Brendan.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What monastery construction on the north bank of Wear was funded by Benedict, according to Bede?
(d) St. Peter's Monastery.
2. Who does the anonymous author credit with providing master builders for the monastery that Ceolfrith helped to build?
(b) Abbot Torthelm.
(c) Abbot Botulf.
(d) Bishop Wilford.
3. To whom did Bede write the prologue to his "Life of Cuthbert"?
(a) Christians of who were served by his ministry.
(b) Bishop Eadfrid.
(c) His father.
(d) Christians of future generations.
4. What does the anonymous writer claim came into view after the ship ran out of food?
(a) A lush, forested island.
(b) A deserted island.
(c) A high rocky island.
(d) A whale.
5. What does Bede trace as Eosterwine's relationship to Benedict?
(a) They were in-laws.
(b) They were brothers.
(c) They were theological rivals.
(d) They were cousins.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Farmer identify as the basic theme of the "Navigatio"?
2. What miracle did Cuthbert perform when he brought the Holy Ghost to a village that could only provide tents for him and his retinue?
3. What apostle and New Testament book does the anonymous author on the history of Ceolfrith cite as his inspiration for writing the book.
4. Who did the anonymous author claim chose Ceolfrith to help him build a monastery?
5. How often did the traveling party eat on the journey away from the island?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)