|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, The Voyage of Saint Brendan.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story the anonymous writer recorded Brendan told, what did Brendan say his son's name was?
2. How did the anonymous author claim that Ceolfrith came to study for the priesthood?
(a) He was appointed by his cousin Tunbert.
(b) He was appointed by his brother Cynefrith.
(c) He was appointed by Abbot Botulf.
(d) He was appointed by his Bishop Wilford.
3. What condition does Bede write affected Sigfrith during his service as abbot?
(b) A lame leg.
(c) A curved spine.
(d) A painful and incurable disease of the lungs.
4. Who granted Wilfrid to preach in his first destination after being chased from his see?
(a) King Dagobert.
(b) King Ecgfrith.
(c) King Perctarit.
(d) King Aldgisi.
5. What example does the anonymous author claim that Ceolfrith took from his brother Cynefrith?
(a) Holding the monks under his authority to high moral standards.
(b) Requiring all duties to be done before meals were to be shared.
(c) Establishing a work schedule that required all monks spend time copying Bibles.
(d) Leaving the care of his monastery to younger men to go on a pilgrimage to Rome in his later years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Brendan chastise his fellow travelers for putting their flasks into streams running from the island to quench their thirst, according to the anonymous writer?
2. After the guide brought them to a vast hall with couches and water to wash their feet, what does the anonymous writer report that Brendan said?
3. What form did fallen angels take on Brendan's journey, according to the anonymous author?
4. What miracle did Cuthbert perform when he brought the Holy Ghost to a village that could only provide tents for him and his retinue?
5. How long did Ceolfrith preside over the responsibilities appointed to him by Benedict?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)