|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, The Voyage of Saint Brendan.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the result of the prayers Cuthbert led while he and two brethren were stranded during a sea voyage without provisions?
(a) God ended the storm and provided a passing ship to carry them to their destination.
(b) A whale came to deliver them to their destination.
(c) Angels mended their ship while the two brethren slept and Cuthbert kept a prayer vigil.
(d) They were provided with dolphin meat and calm seas.
2. Over what issue did Wilfrid debate Bishop Colman according to Stephanus?
(a) The role of icons in affirming faith.
(b) The parallels between Yom Kippur and Christmas.
(c) The importance of miracles in identifying saints.
(d) The specific day upon which to celebrate Easter.
3. What does Stephanus claim was the King's response to the request that Wilfrid be sent to the duke?
(a) He sent back a message that he had already executed Wilfrid to buy him time to escape.
(b) The king ignored the request.
(c) He tore up the scroll upon which the request was written in the audience of his court.
(d) He promptly captured Wilfrid and sent him back to the petitioner, but God spared Wilfrid the condemnation.
4. Whose record of Cuthbert's death did Bede use?
(a) Herefrith, a devout priest and abbot of Lindisfarne.
(b) Wilfrid who asked Bede to take a pilgrimage with him to Rome.
(c) Hwaetbehrt who succeeded him as abbot.
(d) Benedict who was a close friend of Cuthbert.
5. What was Benedict's council to those who visited him while he suffered his illness, according to Bede?
(a) That they guard the monasteries at Wearmouth and Jarrow.
(b) That they study scripture regularly.
(c) That they devote themselves to fasting and prayer.
(d) That the ordinances he passed to them were not of his creation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the anonymous writer record God sent to be the guide of Brendan's traveling party after they landed on the island?
2. What example does the anonymous author claim that Ceolfrith took from his brother Cynefrith?
3. Who met Brendan and his son during their journey?
4. Who returned a letter of thanks for the gift the monks delivered to Rome according to the anonymous author?
5. At what age does the anonymous author of Ceolfrith's history claim he became a monk?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)