|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, The Voyage of Saint Brendan.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose record of Cuthbert's death did Bede use?
(a) Benedict who was a close friend of Cuthbert.
(b) Herefrith, a devout priest and abbot of Lindisfarne.
(c) Hwaetbehrt who succeeded him as abbot.
(d) Wilfrid who asked Bede to take a pilgrimage with him to Rome.
2. Who gave Wilfrid the monastery at Ripon according to Stephanus?
(a) Bishop Winfrid.
(b) King Oswiu.
(c) King Ecgfrith.
3. Who was named to rule the monastery shortly before Ceolfrith joined it, according to the anonymous author?
(a) Abbot Botulf.
(b) Ceolfrith's cousin, Tunbert.
(c) Ceolfrith's brother, Cynefrith.
(d) Bishop Wilford.
4. Which of the works in "The Age of Bede" does Farmer claim was popular during the Middle Ages?
(a) " The Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow."
(b) "The Life of Cuthbert."
(c) "Voyage of St. Brendan."
(d) "The Life of Wilfrid."
5. Who does the anonymous writer record God sent to be the guide of Brendan's traveling party after they landed on the island?
(a) A boy with a basket of bread.
(b) A hermit named Paul.
(c) A man with an aura of shining light.
(d) A dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which document by Bede, according to Farmer, acts as a biography and a local history?
2. What kind of battles does Farmer report the church leaders in "The Age of Bede" fought?
3. What Psalm did the monks from St. Peter's sing to Ceolfrith as he left on his pilgrimage, according to the anonymous author?
4. How many total years does the anonymous author report that Ceolfrith ruled separately over the monasteries of St. Peter and St. Paul?
5. What animal does Bede claim ministered to Cuthbert after he spent a night in prayer in the water off the sea shore?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)