|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, The Voyage of Saint Brendan.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Old Testament prophet does Bede first quote in the first paragraph of Chapter One?
2. How does Bede claim Cuthbert kept birds from eating the barley crop he grew as he lived in isolation as a monk?
(a) He said, ". . . If God has given you permission, then do as He bade you: if not, be off with you, . . ."
(b) He said, "God will banish your souls to condemnation should you be robbing from His anointed."
(c) He kept a week-long prayer and fast to appeal to God to deliver his crops from the offending birds.
(d) He invented the scarecrow.
3. What condition does Bede write affected Sigfrith during his service as abbot?
(a) A curved spine.
(c) A lame leg.
(d) A painful and incurable disease of the lungs.
4. How did Brendan's traveling party arrive at the next island?
(a) They were carried by angels after winds had died.
(b) They were carried on the back of a whale.
(c) They rowed vigorously for 40 days.
(d) A fair wind sprang up and saved them from being overtaxed by the effort of rowing.
5. In the story the anonymous writer recorded Brendan told, what did Brendan say his son's name was?
Short Answer Questions
1. The saints who are detailed in "The Age of Bede" lived in what two centuries according to Farmer?
2. What were the reasons that Stephanus gave for Wilfrid deciding to bring a dead child back to life in the village of On Tiddanufri?
3. How does the anonymous author claim Brendan's party finally arrived to the island they had been seeking?
4. What sign does Stephanus claim was sent to prove that God intended Wilfred to be a saint?
5. What does Bede claim Cuthbert did to convert water to wine as he stayed at a convent in Tyne?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)