|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, The Voyage of Saint Brendan.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which document by Bede, according to Farmer, acts as a biography and a local history?
(a) "The History of Abbot Ceolfrith."
(b) "Lives of the Abbots."
(c) "The Life of Cuthbert."
(d) "The Life of Wilfrid."
2. To what book does Bede refer for support of other angels who rode on horseback?
(a) The Navigato.
(c) The Psalms.
(d) The history of the Maccabees.
3. Who did Bede report Benedict appointed as abbot over the foundation he started?
4. Who welcomed Ceolfrith in Gaul, according to the anonymous author?
(a) King Hilperic.
(b) King Aldfrid.
(c) King Egfrid.
(d) King Ecgfrith.
5. For what two countries does Farmer claim "The Age of Bede" to be an important source of early Christian Church history?
(a) England and Ireland.
(b) Rome and Ireland.
(c) England and France.
(d) Ireland and The Netherlands.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Farmer claim draws readers across the ages to the lives profiled in "The Age of Bede"?
2. What did the anonymous author infer to be Ceolfrith's method of avoiding the plague that took the lives of many monks?
3. How often did the traveling party eat on the journey away from the island?
4. After the death of Benedict, how many years does the anonymous author credit Ceolfrith with presiding over both monasteries simultaneously?
5. Who was named to rule the monastery shortly before Ceolfrith joined it, according to the anonymous author?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)