|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, The Voyage of Saint Brendan.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After his fourth trip to Rome, what does Bede report that Benedict brought back to Britain?
(a) Scholars who were trained in the interpretation of Scripture.
(b) A cantor named John who introduced the order of chanting and singing the Psalms to Britain.
(c) Icons from the tombs of saints to aid in the performance of miracles.
(d) A large number of books on all branches of sacred knowledge.
2. What apostle and New Testament book does the anonymous author on the history of Ceolfrith cite as his inspiration for writing the book.
(a) He cites the epistles of St. Peter.
(b) He cites the Apostle Paul's letter to the Hebrews.
(c) He cites the Gospel of John.
(d) He cites the Apostle Paul's letters to the Corinthians.
3. Who was the wicked queen who Stephanus wrote persecuted the church and martyred nine bishops?
4. What condition does Bede write affected Sigfrith during his service as abbot?
(a) A lame leg.
(b) A painful and incurable disease of the lungs.
(c) A curved spine.
5. Which document by Bede, according to Farmer, acts as a biography and a local history?
(a) "Lives of the Abbots."
(b) "The History of Abbot Ceolfrith."
(c) "The Life of Cuthbert."
(d) "The Life of Wilfrid."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who kept Wilfrid until Stephanus claimed he could meet with suitable travelers as he began his journey to St. Peter's see?
2. What kind of battles does Farmer report the church leaders in "The Age of Bede" fought?
3. What does Farmer claim draws readers across the ages to the lives profiled in "The Age of Bede"?
4. How long did the person who met Brendan and his son claim they had been on the island without eating food or drink or taking any sleep?
5. Who did Bede report reviewed and revised his work?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)