|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, The Voyage of Saint Brendan.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what royal family does Bede claim Benedict descended?
(a) The Theodoric lineage.
(b) The Egfrid Lineage.
(c) The Windsor lineage.
(d) The Angle lineage.
2. Why did Benedict name Ceolfrith to be abbot over the two monasteries he helped to build, according to the anonymous author?
(a) Because Ceolfrith was the best candidate after the plague had caused the death of many monks.
(b) Because Ceolfrith was faithful in helping to start other abbeys.
(c) Because Ceolfrith showed his grasp of Christian understanding in debates with other monks.
(d) Because both Benedict and the abbot who preceded Ceolfrith, Sigfrith, were on their deathbeds.
3. What quote does the anonymous author of Ceolfrith's history use to advise readers of his work?
(a) "Remember your leaders, those who spoke the word of God to you; consider the end of their way of life and imitate their faith."
(b) "Remind yourselves that I have written nothing about the saint without first subjectng the facts to the most thorough scrutiny."
(c) "The work is difficult, my intelligence and command of rhetoric small; none the less, though, the result might come below expectation, the effort will at least pay my debt of obedience."
(d) "The texts presented in this volume are important sources to the history of the Christian Church."
4. What did Bede report Benedict brought back to Britain after his third trip to Rome?
(a) Icons from the tombs of saints to aid in the performance of miracles.
(b) A cantor named John who introduced the order of chanting and singing the Psalms to Britain.
(c) Scholars who were trained in the interpretation of Scripture.
(d) A large number of books on all branches of sacred knowledge.
5. What apostle and New Testament book does the anonymous author on the history of Ceolfrith cite as his inspiration for writing the book.
(a) He cites the Apostle Paul's letters to the Corinthians.
(b) He cites the epistles of St. Peter.
(c) He cites the Gospel of John.
(d) He cites the Apostle Paul's letter to the Hebrews.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did a dignified old man communicate to Brendan's party while observing a vow of silence, according to the anonymous author?
2. Whose death was Ceolfrith compared in the letter from Rome?
3. In the story the anonymous writer recorded Brendan told, what did Brendan say his son's name was?
4. Who does Bede report gave Cuthbert a cure for a tumor on his knee?
5. What sign does Stephanus claim was sent to prove that God intended Wilfred to be a saint?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)