|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, The Voyage of Saint Brendan.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the anonymous author infer to be Ceolfrith's method of avoiding the plague that took the lives of many monks?
(a) He was fastidious in keeping his residence clean and observed Jewish cleaning laws.
(b) He had secluded himself as a hermit before the plague hit his region.
(c) He was delayed in Rome finding supplies for the new monastery.
(d) He had secluded himself for a season of prayer.
2. What does Farmer identify as the basic theme of the "Navigatio"?
(a) The healing mysteries of faith.
(b) The cleansing influence of virtue.
(c) The quest for paradise on earth.
(d) The miraculous power of prayer.
3. At what age does the anonymous author of Ceolfrith's history claim he became a monk?
4. What were two things that Bede said he avoided in the prologue?
(a) Judgementalism and piety.
(b) Criticism and pessimism.
(c) Doctrine and legalism.
(d) Ambiguity and hair-splitting.
5. What text does Bede report that Boisil recommended to Cuthbert?
(a) The Gospel of Luke.
(b) The Epistles of St. Peter.
(c) The Epistle of St. James, the brother of Jesus.
(d) St. John the Evangelist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the quote from the Psalms that Bede used to support God's hand in the event?
2. How did a dignified old man communicate to Brendan's party while observing a vow of silence, according to the anonymous author?
3. What was announced to Brendan's party would come after seven years from the announcement by the fallen angels, according to the anonymous author?
4. What sign does Stephanus claim was sent to prove that God intended Wilfred to be a saint?
5. Who does the anonymous author credit with providing master builders for the monastery that Ceolfrith helped to build?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)