|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, The Voyage of Saint Brendan.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Stephanus, how did the expansion of the Kingdom that Wilfrid advised expand his authority as Bishop?
(a) Wilfrid became bishop over the Saxons, British, Scots, and Picts.
(b) Wilfrid became wealthier from the expansion of the kingdom and used his wealth to buy support from Rome.
(c) Wilfrid used the expansion of the kingdom to claim more lands for the church.
(d) Wilfrid was recognized by Rome as a powerful Bishop of England.
2. What came of a phantom fire that came upon a village while Bede reports that Cuthbert was teaching on the distractions of the devil?
(a) Strong winds blew the fires away as soon as Cuthbert prayed for deliverance.
(b) An angel extinguished the flames with a mighty blow of his trumpet.
(c) God brought a torrent of rain that extinguished the phantom.
(d) They disappeared into thin air as Cuthbert prayed.
3. How did a dignified old man communicate to Brendan's party while observing a vow of silence, according to the anonymous author?
(a) Through hand gestures.
(b) Through angels who kept a close vigil with him.
(c) Through sending this thoughts directly to Brendan's mind.
(d) Through birds who knew his thoughts.
4. What does Bede report Cuthbert used to cure a sick servant to a bodyguard of King Ecgfrith?
(a) A salve brought to him by two otters.
(b) Water he blessed.
(c) A poltice delivered to him by an angel on horseback.
(d) Prayer and fasting.
5. How often did the traveling party eat on the journey away from the island?
(a) Every three days.
(b) Three times a day.
(c) Every two days.
(d) Two times a day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were two things that Bede said he avoided in the prologue?
2. To whom did Stephanus address his record of the "Life of Wilfrid"?
3. What Psalm did the monks from St. Peter's sing to Ceolfrith as he left on his pilgrimage, according to the anonymous author?
4. What does Bede claim came of the person to whom Cuthbert prophesied his death?
5. Who did Bede report reviewed and revised his work?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)