|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, The Voyage of Saint Brendan.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What effect did abbots in Ireland have on the influence of bishops, according to Farmer?
(a) They diminished the influence of bishops.
(b) The provided the channels for bishops to influence the population.
(c) They had no affect on the bishops.
(d) They strengthened the bishops by collecting indulgences for them.
2. From what royal family does Bede claim Benedict descended?
(a) The Theodoric lineage.
(b) The Windsor lineage.
(c) The Angle lineage.
(d) The Egfrid Lineage.
3. To what abbey does Bede report Benedict named Eosterwine?
4. How was the light for the island provided in the story the anonymous writer recorded from Brendan?
(a) By the Pearl of Great Price.
(b) By a dog carrying an a lantern that could not be extinguished.
(c) By a man with an aura of light.
(d) The Lord Jesus Christ was their light.
5. Who kept Wilfrid until Stephanus claimed he could meet with suitable travelers as he began his journey to St. Peter's see?
(a) Queen Eanfled's cousin, King Erconberht of Kent.
(b) Bishop Agilberht.
(c) Biscop Baducing.
(d) Archbishop Dalfinus.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the anonymous author claim that Ceolfrith came to study for the priesthood?
2. After the death of Benedict, how many years does the anonymous author credit Ceolfrith with presiding over both monasteries simultaneously?
3. What miracle did Cuthbert perform when he brought the Holy Ghost to a village that could only provide tents for him and his retinue?
4. What did the anonymous author report that Brendan said a rocky island that had no sand on its beach actually was?
5. Who returned a letter of thanks for the gift the monks delivered to Rome according to the anonymous author?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)