|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, The Voyage of Saint Brendan.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many Latin manuscripts of this document does Farmer claim still exists?
2. Who confirmed the choice of Ceolfrith's replacement, according to Bede?
(d) Bishop Acca.
3. How did a dignified old man communicate to Brendan's party while observing a vow of silence, according to the anonymous author?
(a) Through birds who knew his thoughts.
(b) Through sending this thoughts directly to Brendan's mind.
(c) Through hand gestures.
(d) Through angels who kept a close vigil with him.
4. How many texts does D.H. Farmer report in the Introduction comprise "The Age of Bede"?
5. Who returned a letter of thanks for the gift the monks delivered to Rome according to the anonymous author?
(a) Pope Gregory.
(b) Archbishop Berhtwald.
(c) Archdeacon Boniface.
(d) Pope Agatho.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does Stephanus claim Wilfrid accused English bishops prior to his journey to Gaul?
2. When does the anonymous author record Brendan's traveling party landed on the island?
3. What principal apostle of Ireland does Farmer claim encouraged monasticism for men and women?
4. How many monks did the anonymous author report Ceolfrith took with him to complete the new construction that King Egfrith sponsored?
5. Who was chosen by the monks to serve as abbot in Ceolfrith's absence, according to the anonymous author?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)