|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, The Voyage of Saint Brendan.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who had prophesied that Brendan would die upon his return to his monastery, according to the anonymous author?
(a) A hermit named Paul.
(b) Brendan's son.
(c) A man with an aura of shining light.
(d) The young man on the Island of promise.
2. What does Bede report came of King Egfrid during Benedict's journey?
(a) Egfrid began distributing his wealth to heirs.
(b) Egfrid was slain.
(c) Egfrid came under siege.
(d) Egfrid contracted leprosy.
3. To what cause does Bede claim Benedict devoted himself after he traveled to Rome to visit the tombs of the Apostles?
(a) Making known the forms of church life he witnessed in Rome.
(b) To training priestly aspirants to what is now known as the "Benedictine Order".
(c) To the translation and writing of scripture.
(d) To the interpretation and preaching of the Gospel.
4. What official does Farmer report presided over the community of monks?
(a) A local abbot.
(b) The regional bishop.
(c) The Cardinals.
(d) The Pope.
5. What sign does Stephanus claim that God used to indicate that Wilfrid would serve him in the future?
(a) A fiery demon was chased from his village by a torrent provided by God.
(b) An angel disguised as a horseman helped with Wilfrid's delivery.
(c) The house where he was being born caught fire but was not consumed.
(d) Birds gathered to sing praises to God as Wilfrid was born.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gave Wilfrid the monastery at Ripon according to Stephanus?
2. Who does Stephanus report led a synod which was actually a trap to take the properties that were under Wilfrid's authority?
3. What sign does Stephanus claim was sent to prove that God intended Wilfred to be a saint?
4. For what two countries does Farmer claim "The Age of Bede" to be an important source of early Christian Church history?
5. Upon their second meeting of the creatures who were fallen angels, what was announced to Brendan and his party, according to the anonymous author?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)