|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, The Voyage of Saint Brendan.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what biblical story does Stephanus compare the event that preceded the battle between Wilfrid's party and the pagans?
(a) The story of the Israelites taking the Holy land from the Philistines.
(b) The story of Caleb taking his mountain.
(c) The story of David and Goliath.
(d) The story of Gideon.
2. What custom arose from the burial of Ceolfrith?
(a) Placing flowers on a grave.
(b) Praying the Psalms prior to kneeling at Ceolfrith's tomb.
(c) Wearing black for mourning.
(d) Having a celebration with friends which eventually became known as a wake.
3. When Wilfrid's ship had run aground on the English shore and was surrounded by pagans, what event does Stephanus report occurred that preceded a battle between Wilfrid's party and the pagans?
(a) Wilfrid called down angels to ward off a curse from a pagan wizard.
(b) Wilfrid blessed a stone that he used to heal a companion cursed by a pagan wizard.
(c) One of Wilfrid's companions killed the pagan's wizard with a stone blessed by the party from the ship.
(d) A legion of angels protected Wilfrid's companions from an attack led by a pagan wizard.
4. What quote does the anonymous author of Ceolfrith's history use to advise readers of his work?
(a) "Remember your leaders, those who spoke the word of God to you; consider the end of their way of life and imitate their faith."
(b) "The texts presented in this volume are important sources to the history of the Christian Church."
(c) "The work is difficult, my intelligence and command of rhetoric small; none the less, though, the result might come below expectation, the effort will at least pay my debt of obedience."
(d) "Remind yourselves that I have written nothing about the saint without first subjectng the facts to the most thorough scrutiny."
5. What was the quote from the Psalms that Bede used to support God's hand in the event?
(a) "I have directed you in the way of wisdom; I have led you in upright paths."
(b) "When you walk about they will guide you; When you sleep, they will watch over you."
(c) "A wise son accepts his father's discipline, But a scoffer does not listen to rebuke."
(d) "Out of the mouths of babes and sucklings Thou has perfected praise."
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the anonymous writer record that Brendan claimed they reached as they walked toward the furthest shore of their landing?
2. To what book does Bede refer for support of other angels who rode on horseback?
3. What principal apostle of Ireland does Farmer claim encouraged monasticism for men and women?
4. Why did a demon leave the wife of Sheriff Hildmer as he and Cuthbert approached his home, according to Bede?
5. To what abbey does Bede report Benedict named Eosterwine?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)