|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, The Voyage of Saint Brendan.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Farmer asserts that the "Navigatio" is a fascinating mixture of what?
(a) Fantasy, doctrine, and mystery.
(b) Fact, fantasy, and literary borrowing.
(c) Intrigue, sound doctrine, and drama.
(d) History, fact, and economic theory.
2. To where did Brendan's son invite him to travel, according to the anonymous writer?
(a) To the Land of Promise of the Saints.
(b) To the Valley of Virtue.
(c) To the Island of Delights.
(d) To the Meadow of Miracles.
3. What term does Farmer use to identify a community of monks?
(a) The Royal Order.
(c) The Holy Priesthood.
(d) The Holy Knights.
4. Which Northumbrian cleric does Farmer record as being trained in Lindisfarne?
5. Why did a demon leave the wife of Sheriff Hildmer as he and Cuthbert approached his home, according to Bede?
(a) The demon could not stand the approaching of the Holy Spirit that resided in Cuthbert.
(b) Because the demon realized that God would come at Cuthbert's call.
(c) The angels that always walked ahead of Cuthbert battled the angels as the wife of the sheriff slept.
(d) Because Cuthbert had prayed that God would remove the demon before the Sheriff had returned to his home.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bede claim Cuthbert kept birds from eating the barley crop he grew as he lived in isolation as a monk?
2. Who donated the land for Benedict to build a monastery in Northumbria, according to Bede?
3. What was the first miracle that Bede reports that Cuthbert performed?
4. Who confirmed the choice of Ceolfrith's replacement, according to Bede?
5. What did Bede claim to be Cuthbert's preoccupation when he was still eight years old?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)