|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, The Voyage of Saint Brendan.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who granted Wilfrid to preach in his first destination after being chased from his see?
(a) King Ecgfrith.
(b) King Dagobert.
(c) King Aldgisi.
(d) King Perctarit.
2. What does Bede claim Cuthbert did to convert water to wine as he stayed at a convent in Tyne?
(a) He spent a night's prayer vigil in a nearby lake.
(b) He drank the water from a cup.
(c) He dipped the hem of his garment in a cask of water.
(d) He performed a wedding and asked for God's provisions over the reception.
3. Who was finally found to travel to St. Peter's with Wilfrid, according to Stephanus?
(a) Archbishop Dalfinus.
(b) Bishop Baducing.
(c) Boniface the Archdeacon.
(d) King Erconberht of Kent.
4. How does Bede claim Christian converts profaned their faith in Chapter 9?
(a) With their works.
(b) With the coarse language.
(c) With their ill-gotten gains.
(d) With their sloth.
5. Why was Cuthbert inspired to rise from his sickbed in Chapter 8, according to Bede?
(a) Because he knew that God would provide him strength to carry out ministry.
(b) Because he desired to be an inspiration to those in need.
(c) Because he knew that God had certainly heard the prayers of the monks praying for him.
(d) Because he did not want to neglect the responsibility God had put before him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What apostle and New Testament book does the anonymous author on the history of Ceolfrith cite as his inspiration for writing the book.
2. What were the reasons that Stephanus gave for Wilfrid deciding to bring a dead child back to life in the village of On Tiddanufri?
3. What principal apostle of Ireland does Farmer claim encouraged monasticism for men and women?
4. What does Bede report came of King Egfrid during Benedict's journey?
5. As Cuthbert was traveling with a boy during a preaching tour in Chapter 12, how did Bede report that Cuthbert prophesied their food would be provided?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)