|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, The Voyage of Saint Brendan.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the anonymous author infer to be Ceolfrith's method of avoiding the plague that took the lives of many monks?
(a) He was delayed in Rome finding supplies for the new monastery.
(b) He had secluded himself for a season of prayer.
(c) He had secluded himself as a hermit before the plague hit his region.
(d) He was fastidious in keeping his residence clean and observed Jewish cleaning laws.
2. What term does Farmer use to identify a community of monks?
(a) The Holy Knights.
(b) The Holy Priesthood.
(c) The Royal Order.
3. What was the method that Bede writes Ceolfrith chose for a new abbot to be chosen to replace him?
(a) He devoted a series of fasts that lasted for 40 days.
(b) He conferred with representatives of the pope.
(c) He devoted a season of prayer seeking divine guidance.
(d) The brethren of the monasteries were required to choose one of their members.
4. How does Bede claim Sigfrid came to be promoted from deacon to abbot after Eosterwine's left his abbey?
(a) He was appointed abbot by the remaining brethren at Wearmouth and by Ceolfrith.
(b) Benedict appointed him.
(c) The pope named him to the position.
(d) He was elected over Hwaetberht.
5. How does Bede claim Christian converts profaned their faith in Chapter 9?
(a) With their sloth.
(b) With the coarse language.
(c) With their works.
(d) With their ill-gotten gains.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what two countries does Farmer claim "The Age of Bede" to be an important source of early Christian Church history?
2. Where was the monastery that the anonymous author report Ceolfrith joined?
3. What does Bede claim Cuthbert did to convert water to wine as he stayed at a convent in Tyne?
4. What did some of the monks who buried Ceolfrith take to Rome on his behalf, according to the anonymous author?
5. After the guide brought them to a vast hall with couches and water to wash their feet, what does the anonymous writer report that Brendan said?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)