|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, The Voyage of Saint Brendan.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did some of the monks who buried Ceolfrith take to Rome on his behalf, according to the anonymous author?
(a) A painting of Ceolfrith made just prior to his death.
(b) A letter to the pope requesting more books of learning for the church.
(c) A Bible translated from Hebrew and Greek originals according to the interpretation of Priest Jerome.
(d) Icons of Ceolfrith to be kept with other holy icons.
2. How many Latin manuscripts of this document does Farmer claim still exists?
3. What was Wilfrid's destination when he left his home, according to Stephanus?
(a) Archbishop Dalfinus who hoped to adopt him as a son.
(b) The home of Biscop Baducing.
(c) The home of King Erconberht of Kent.
(d) King Oswiu's queen, Eanfled, to whom he was recommended by noblemen he served in his father's house.
4. What does the anonymous author report appeared before the traveling party after it had finished singing on its way back to its boat?
(a) A castle for their protection.
(b) A guide for their direction.
(c) A fire for their warmth.
(d) A table laid for a meal.
5. Who welcomed Ceolfrith in Gaul, according to the anonymous author?
(a) King Aldfrid.
(b) King Egfrid.
(c) King Ecgfrith.
(d) King Hilperic.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Stephanus claim introduced Wilfrid to the Pope?
2. What did the anonymous author report occurred to Ceolfrith on the day he reached Langres on September 25?
3. What was the method that Bede writes Ceolfrith chose for a new abbot to be chosen to replace him?
4. How often did the traveling party eat on the journey away from the island?
5. How long did Ceolfrith preside over the responsibilities appointed to him by Benedict?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)