|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, The Voyage of Saint Brendan.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Farmer report came of Cuthbert after he spent many years in a monastery?
(a) He became a priest.
(b) He became a hermit.
(c) He became an usher in the Holy See.
(d) He was appointed Bishop.
2. What does Bede report Cuthbert used to cure a sick servant to a bodyguard of King Ecgfrith?
(a) Water he blessed.
(b) A salve brought to him by two otters.
(c) A poltice delivered to him by an angel on horseback.
(d) Prayer and fasting.
3. When Wilfrid's ship had run aground on the English shore and was surrounded by pagans, what event does Stephanus report occurred that preceded a battle between Wilfrid's party and the pagans?
(a) A legion of angels protected Wilfrid's companions from an attack led by a pagan wizard.
(b) Wilfrid blessed a stone that he used to heal a companion cursed by a pagan wizard.
(c) One of Wilfrid's companions killed the pagan's wizard with a stone blessed by the party from the ship.
(d) Wilfrid called down angels to ward off a curse from a pagan wizard.
4. What did Bede report Benedict brought back to Britain after his third trip to Rome?
(a) A large number of books on all branches of sacred knowledge.
(b) A cantor named John who introduced the order of chanting and singing the Psalms to Britain.
(c) Icons from the tombs of saints to aid in the performance of miracles.
(d) Scholars who were trained in the interpretation of Scripture.
5. What was Benedict's council to those who visited him while he suffered his illness, according to Bede?
(a) That they study scripture regularly.
(b) That they guard the monasteries at Wearmouth and Jarrow.
(c) That the ordinances he passed to them were not of his creation.
(d) That they devote themselves to fasting and prayer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What came of a phantom fire that came upon a village while Bede reports that Cuthbert was teaching on the distractions of the devil?
2. After his debate with Bishop Colman won him acclaim, what does Stephanus report came of Wilfrid?
3. How long does the Anonymous writer claim Brendan and his party traveled before they ran out of food after they left the destination to which they traveled after the 40 days of fasting?
4. When does the anonymous author record Brendan's traveling party landed on the island?
5. How was Cuthbert's Friday fast broken on one occasion at the vesper's hour according to Bede?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)