|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Farmer claim to be the document that the earliest monk wrote?
(a) "The Life of Cuthbert".
(b) "The Navigatio".
(c) "The Life of Wilfrid".
(d) "The Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow".
2. What official does Farmer report presided over the community of monks?
(a) A local abbot.
(b) The Pope.
(c) The Cardinals.
(d) The regional bishop.
3. Why did Benedict name Ceolfrith to be abbot over the two monasteries he helped to build, according to the anonymous author?
(a) Because Ceolfrith showed his grasp of Christian understanding in debates with other monks.
(b) Because both Benedict and the abbot who preceded Ceolfrith, Sigfrith, were on their deathbeds.
(c) Because Ceolfrith was faithful in helping to start other abbeys.
(d) Because Ceolfrith was the best candidate after the plague had caused the death of many monks.
4. What does Stephanus claim was the King's response to the request that Wilfrid be sent to the duke?
(a) The king ignored the request.
(b) He promptly captured Wilfrid and sent him back to the petitioner, but God spared Wilfrid the condemnation.
(c) He sent back a message that he had already executed Wilfrid to buy him time to escape.
(d) He tore up the scroll upon which the request was written in the audience of his court.
5. What illness does Bede report came to Benedict shortly after Sigfrith became abbot of Wearmouth?
(a) He was taken by consumption.
(c) The plague.
(d) He suffered creeping paralysis.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what literary form does Farmer claim Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" is written?
2. Who does Stephanus claim influenced Ecgfrith to drive Wilfrid from his see?
3. What sign does Stephanus claim that God used to indicate that Wilfrid would serve him in the future?
4. Whose death was Ceolfrith compared in the letter from Rome?
5. What does Farmer report came of Cuthbert after he spent many years in a monastery?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)