|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What official does Farmer report presided over the community of monks?
(a) A local abbot.
(b) The regional bishop.
(c) The Pope.
(d) The Cardinals.
2. What was Benedict's council to those who visited him while he suffered his illness, according to Bede?
(a) That they study scripture regularly.
(b) That they guard the monasteries at Wearmouth and Jarrow.
(c) That they devote themselves to fasting and prayer.
(d) That the ordinances he passed to them were not of his creation.
3. How many years does Farmer claim had passed before the biography of Brendan had first appeared?
(a) About 210.
(b) About 120.
(c) About 200.
(d) About 20.
4. On what date does the anonymous author report Ceolfrith boarded a ship to cross the sea to Gaul?
(a) June 4.
(b) July 4.
(c) August 12.
(d) July 14.
5. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
(a) Indulgences, monasticism, and chanting.
(b) The presbytery and the Holy Roman Empire.
(c) Monasticism and the primacy of the spiritual.
(d) The Sacraments, baptism, and confession.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Farmer claim to be the document that the earliest monk wrote?
2. How does Bede claim Cuthbert kept birds from eating the barley crop he grew as he lived in isolation as a monk?
3. Which document by Bede, according to Farmer, acts as a biography and a local history?
4. To whom did Stephanus address his record of the "Life of Wilfrid"?
5. Who did Bede report Benedict appointed as abbot over the foundation he started?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)