|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Farmer asserts that the "Navigatio" is a fascinating mixture of what?
(a) Fact, fantasy, and literary borrowing.
(b) Intrigue, sound doctrine, and drama.
(c) History, fact, and economic theory.
(d) Fantasy, doctrine, and mystery.
2. To whom was the letter addressed?
3. How does Bede claim Sigfrid came to be promoted from deacon to abbot after Eosterwine's left his abbey?
(a) Benedict appointed him.
(b) The pope named him to the position.
(c) He was appointed abbot by the remaining brethren at Wearmouth and by Ceolfrith.
(d) He was elected over Hwaetberht.
4. To what office did Stephanus claim Agilberht ordained Wilfrid?
5. Whose death was Ceolfrith compared in the letter from Rome?
(a) St. John who died after he had delivered the Revelation.
(b) Moses and Aaron who died before they could enter the Promised Land.
(c) Enoch who did not die, but walked with God.
(d) Noah who died after he had delivered his family through the flood.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bede report Cuthbert used to cure a sick servant to a bodyguard of King Ecgfrith?
2. Who did Bede report was chosen to replace Ceolfrith?
3. Which duke of Theodoric petitioned the king over the land Wilfrid where was preaching to have Wilfrid sent to him dead or alive, according to Stephanus?
4. What custom arose from the burial of Ceolfrith?
5. What does Farmer report came of Cuthbert after he spent many years in a monastery?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)