|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What came of a phantom fire that came upon a village while Bede reports that Cuthbert was teaching on the distractions of the devil?
(a) They disappeared into thin air as Cuthbert prayed.
(b) An angel extinguished the flames with a mighty blow of his trumpet.
(c) God brought a torrent of rain that extinguished the phantom.
(d) Strong winds blew the fires away as soon as Cuthbert prayed for deliverance.
2. What effect did abbots in Ireland have on the influence of bishops, according to Farmer?
(a) They strengthened the bishops by collecting indulgences for them.
(b) The provided the channels for bishops to influence the population.
(c) They diminished the influence of bishops.
(d) They had no affect on the bishops.
3. Who confirmed the choice of Ceolfrith's replacement, according to Bede?
(b) Bishop Acca.
4. What official does Farmer report presided over the community of monks?
(a) The regional bishop.
(b) The Pope.
(c) A local abbot.
(d) The Cardinals.
5. For what two countries does Farmer claim "The Age of Bede" to be an important source of early Christian Church history?
(a) England and France.
(b) England and Ireland.
(c) Rome and Ireland.
(d) Ireland and The Netherlands.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which cleric does Farmer identify as coming from Northumbria and trained at Melrose?
2. Who does Farmer report to be the earliest monk of the British Isles?
3. Which Northumbrian cleric does Farmer record as being trained in Lindisfarne?
4. Who did Bede report reviewed and revised his work?
5. After the death of Benedict, how many years does the anonymous author credit Ceolfrith with presiding over both monasteries simultaneously?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)