|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What quote does the anonymous author of Ceolfrith's history use to advise readers of his work?
(a) "The work is difficult, my intelligence and command of rhetoric small; none the less, though, the result might come below expectation, the effort will at least pay my debt of obedience."
(b) "The texts presented in this volume are important sources to the history of the Christian Church."
(c) "Remind yourselves that I have written nothing about the saint without first subjectng the facts to the most thorough scrutiny."
(d) "Remember your leaders, those who spoke the word of God to you; consider the end of their way of life and imitate their faith."
2. Of what does Stephanus claim Wilfrid accused English bishops prior to his journey to Gaul?
(a) Being too strict with moral limits.
(b) Being similar in ideology to Celts.
(c) Being too stiff in worship services.
(d) Being corrupt with indulgences.
3. What effect did abbots in Ireland have on the influence of bishops, according to Farmer?
(a) They had no affect on the bishops.
(b) They strengthened the bishops by collecting indulgences for them.
(c) They diminished the influence of bishops.
(d) The provided the channels for bishops to influence the population.
4. Which duke of Theodoric petitioned the king over the land Wilfrid where was preaching to have Wilfrid sent to him dead or alive, according to Stephanus?
5. What animal does Bede claim ministered to Cuthbert after he spent a night in prayer in the water off the sea shore?
(a) An eagle.
(b) Two otters.
(c) A fawn.
(d) A dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bede trace as Eosterwine's relationship to Benedict?
2. Over what issue did Wilfrid debate Bishop Colman according to Stephanus?
3. Who does Farmer report to be the earliest monk of the British Isles?
4. What does Farmer report came of Cuthbert after he spent many years in a monastery?
5. Who confirmed the choice of Ceolfrith's replacement, according to Bede?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)