|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bede report Cuthbert used to cure a sick servant to a bodyguard of King Ecgfrith?
(a) A salve brought to him by two otters.
(b) Prayer and fasting.
(c) A poltice delivered to him by an angel on horseback.
(d) Water he blessed.
2. What decision does Bede report Benedict made while Benedict and Sigfrith were on their deathbeds?
(a) Benedict named Ceolfrith abbot over both Wearmouth and Jarrow.
(b) Benedict chose Eosterwine as abbot over Wearmouth.
(c) Benedict ordered the collection of books he brought from Rome back to where they came.
(d) Benedict chose Hwaetbehrt as abbot over Jarrow.
3. What was Benedict's council to those who visited him while he suffered his illness, according to Bede?
(a) That they devote themselves to fasting and prayer.
(b) That the ordinances he passed to them were not of his creation.
(c) That they guard the monasteries at Wearmouth and Jarrow.
(d) That they study scripture regularly.
4. What principal apostle of Ireland does Farmer claim encouraged monasticism for men and women?
(a) St. Ceolfrith.
(b) St. Brendan.
(c) St. Benedict.
(d) St. Patrick.
5. From what royal family does Bede claim Benedict descended?
(a) The Egfrid Lineage.
(b) The Theodoric lineage.
(c) The Windsor lineage.
(d) The Angle lineage.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what office did Stephanus claim Agilberht ordained Wilfrid?
2. What was the method that Bede writes Ceolfrith chose for a new abbot to be chosen to replace him?
3. Which Old Testament prophet does Bede first quote in the first paragraph of Chapter One?
4. Who does Bede report gave Cuthbert a cure for a tumor on his knee?
5. Where does Farmer claim that the earliest surviving manuscript of "Navigatio" was written?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)