|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did some of the monks who buried Ceolfrith take to Rome on his behalf, according to the anonymous author?
(a) A letter to the pope requesting more books of learning for the church.
(b) A painting of Ceolfrith made just prior to his death.
(c) Icons of Ceolfrith to be kept with other holy icons.
(d) A Bible translated from Hebrew and Greek originals according to the interpretation of Priest Jerome.
2. Who does Farmer report to be the earliest monk of the British Isles?
(a) Brendan, an Irish monk.
(b) Cuthbert, a hermit of Lindisfarne.
(c) Benedict, a Roman bishop.
(d) Ceolfrith, a monk of Wearmouth.
3. Why was Cuthbert inspired to rise from his sickbed in Chapter 8, according to Bede?
(a) Because he knew that God would provide him strength to carry out ministry.
(b) Because he did not want to neglect the responsibility God had put before him.
(c) Because he knew that God had certainly heard the prayers of the monks praying for him.
(d) Because he desired to be an inspiration to those in need.
4. Who does Farmer credit with writing the earliest "Life of Cuthbert"?
(a) An anonymous monk from Lindisfarne.
(b) Eddius Stephanus.
5. To what cause does Bede claim Benedict devoted himself after he traveled to Rome to visit the tombs of the Apostles?
(a) To the translation and writing of scripture.
(b) Making known the forms of church life he witnessed in Rome.
(c) To the interpretation and preaching of the Gospel.
(d) To training priestly aspirants to what is now known as the "Benedictine Order".
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Farmer claim to be the name of the author of the "Navigatio"?
2. Where did Stephanus report Wilfrid first settled after being chased from his see?
3. Who does Bede report gave Cuthbert a cure for a tumor on his knee?
4. How does Bede claim Christian converts profaned their faith in Chapter 9?
5. Who confirmed the choice of Ceolfrith's replacement, according to Bede?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)