|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who returned a letter of thanks for the gift the monks delivered to Rome according to the anonymous author?
(a) Pope Gregory.
(b) Archdeacon Boniface.
(c) Archbishop Berhtwald.
(d) Pope Agatho.
2. Who does Stephanus report restored Wilfrid to his see?
(a) Archbishop Berhtrwald.
(b) Pope Agatho and the Holy Synod.
(d) King Ecgfrith.
3. What does Farmer identify as the basic theme of the "Navigatio"?
(a) The miraculous power of prayer.
(b) The quest for paradise on earth.
(c) The healing mysteries of faith.
(d) The cleansing influence of virtue.
4. What were Brendan's most important monasteries, according to Farmer?
(a) Clonfert, Annadown, Inishadroum, and Ardfert.
(b) Wearmouth, Jarrow, Lindisfarne, and Melrose.
(c) Northumbria, Whitby, Inishadroum, and Jarrow.
(d) Annadown, Christendom, Confert, and Melrose.
5. Who does the anonymous author claim presided over the monastery before Ceolfrith joined it?
(a) Bishop Wilford.
(b) Ceolfrith's brother, Cynefrith.
(c) Abbot Botulf.
(d) Ceolfrith's cousin, Tunbert.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unique collection does Bede write that Benedict brought to England from his fifth trip to Rome?
2. Which Northumbrian cleric does Farmer record as being trained in Lindisfarne?
3. Who does Bede report gave Cuthbert a cure for a tumor on his knee?
4. Where is the body of Cuthbert buried, according to Bede's record?
5. Who does Stephanus claim taught Wilfrid the rules of Easter while he was in this city?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)