|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
(a) Indulgences, monasticism, and chanting.
(b) Monasticism and the primacy of the spiritual.
(c) The Sacraments, baptism, and confession.
(d) The presbytery and the Holy Roman Empire.
2. To what abbey does Bede report Benedict named Eosterwine?
3. Which Old Testament prophet does Bede first quote in the first paragraph of Chapter One?
4. What does Farmer claim draws readers across the ages to the lives profiled in "The Age of Bede"?
(a) The mystical accounting of miracles.
(b) The colorful detail with which the ancient times are reported.
(c) The accurate history of various leaders in the region.
(d) The ideals and the scale of values of "The Age of Bede's" great men.
5. At what age does the anonymous author of Ceolfrith's history claim he became a monk?
Short Answer Questions
1. What sign does Stephanus claim was sent to prove that God intended Wilfred to be a saint?
2. What miracle did Cuthbert perform when he brought the Holy Ghost to a village that could only provide tents for him and his retinue?
3. Who does the anonymous author claim presided over the monastery before Ceolfrith joined it?
4. What illness does Bede report came to Benedict shortly after Sigfrith became abbot of Wearmouth?
5. What does Stephanus claim was the King's response to the request that Wilfrid be sent to the duke?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)