|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What miracle does Stephanus report that Wilfrid performed during the construction of the church at Hexham?
(a) He prayed for God's provision of favorable weather and the project did not lose a day due to foul weather.
(b) He prayed for the health of the workers and all of them kept their health throughout the project.
(c) He healed through prayer a workman who fell from working on the highest part of the walls in the church.
(d) He prayed over a pile of stones used in the construction and the pile was not exhausted until the church was completed.
2. How many texts does D.H. Farmer report in the Introduction comprise "The Age of Bede"?
3. Who was named to rule the monastery shortly before Ceolfrith joined it, according to the anonymous author?
(a) Ceolfrith's cousin, Tunbert.
(b) Ceolfrith's brother, Cynefrith.
(c) Bishop Wilford.
(d) Abbot Botulf.
4. What does Bede claim Cuthbert did to convert water to wine as he stayed at a convent in Tyne?
(a) He performed a wedding and asked for God's provisions over the reception.
(b) He drank the water from a cup.
(c) He spent a night's prayer vigil in a nearby lake.
(d) He dipped the hem of his garment in a cask of water.
5. How old was Wilfrid when Stephanus reported he left home to seek the kingdom of Heaven?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who welcomed Ceolfrith in Gaul, according to the anonymous author?
2. What was the first miracle that Bede reports that Cuthbert performed?
3. What was Wilfrid's destination when he left his home, according to Stephanus?
4. What does Farmer identify as the basic theme of the "Navigatio"?
5. Why did Benedict name Ceolfrith to be abbot over the two monasteries he helped to build, according to the anonymous author?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)