|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose record of Cuthbert's death did Bede use?
(a) Wilfrid who asked Bede to take a pilgrimage with him to Rome.
(b) Benedict who was a close friend of Cuthbert.
(c) Hwaetbehrt who succeeded him as abbot.
(d) Herefrith, a devout priest and abbot of Lindisfarne.
2. From what royal family does Bede claim Benedict descended?
(a) The Theodoric lineage.
(b) The Windsor lineage.
(c) The Angle lineage.
(d) The Egfrid Lineage.
3. Who does Bede report gave Cuthbert a cure for a tumor on his knee?
(a) An angel dressed in white riding a horse.
(b) The village doctor.
(c) An angel carrying a gold trumpet.
(d) Three strangers who were travelling through his town.
4. What foundation does Bede credit Benedict with beginning?
5. How was Cuthbert's Friday fast broken on one occasion at the vesper's hour according to Bede?
(a) Cuthbert's horse pulled on a straw from the roof where he rested that was connected to a bundle of food from God.
(b) An angel disgused as an old man fixed him a meal of rice and cakes.
(c) Birds brought him bread from a far land.
(d) Otters brought him a meal of fish from the sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What principal apostle of Ireland does Farmer claim encouraged monasticism for men and women?
2. For what two countries does Farmer claim "The Age of Bede" to be an important source of early Christian Church history?
3. What kind of battles does Farmer report the church leaders in "The Age of Bede" fought?
4. What illness does Bede report came to Benedict shortly after Sigfrith became abbot of Wearmouth?
5. In what literary form does Farmer claim Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" is written?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)