|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Cuthbert was traveling with a boy during a preaching tour in Chapter 12, how did Bede report that Cuthbert prophesied their food would be provided?
(a) By an eagle.
(b) By a fawn.
(c) By two otters.
(d) By a dog.
2. Who does Farmer credit with writing the earliest "Life of Cuthbert"?
(a) Eddius Stephanus.
(b) An anonymous monk from Lindisfarne.
3. Who was named to rule the monastery shortly before Ceolfrith joined it, according to the anonymous author?
(a) Bishop Wilford.
(b) Abbot Botulf.
(c) Ceolfrith's brother, Cynefrith.
(d) Ceolfrith's cousin, Tunbert.
4. Who was the king who Stephanus reported to follow Wilfrid's guidance to win victories over the Picts and Mercia?
(a) King Oswiu.
(b) King Ecgfrith.
(c) King Erconbehrt.
(d) King Alhfrith.
5. How does Bede claim Cuthbert kept birds from eating the barley crop he grew as he lived in isolation as a monk?
(a) He invented the scarecrow.
(b) He said, ". . . If God has given you permission, then do as He bade you: if not, be off with you, . . ."
(c) He said, "God will banish your souls to condemnation should you be robbing from His anointed."
(d) He kept a week-long prayer and fast to appeal to God to deliver his crops from the offending birds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the anonymous author report occurred to Ceolfrith on the day he reached Langres on September 25?
2. Who does the anonymous author claim presided over the monastery before Ceolfrith joined it?
3. Which Old Testament prophet does Bede first quote in the first paragraph of Chapter One?
4. Who does Farmer claim enabled Wilfred to travel to visit other churches through Europe?
5. What was Wilfrid's destination when he left his home, according to Stephanus?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)