|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bede claim Sigfrid came to be promoted from deacon to abbot after Eosterwine's left his abbey?
(a) Benedict appointed him.
(b) He was appointed abbot by the remaining brethren at Wearmouth and by Ceolfrith.
(c) He was elected over Hwaetberht.
(d) The pope named him to the position.
2. To what book does Bede refer for support of other angels who rode on horseback?
(b) The Navigato.
(c) The Psalms.
(d) The history of the Maccabees.
3. Why does the anonymous author claim that King Egfrith donated the resources for building another church and monastery?
(a) To bring the blessings of God on his reign.
(b) For the redemption of his soul.
(c) To set an example of the support his subjects should give to Christianity.
(d) To show appreciation to Ceolfrith for healing his wife.
4. What foundation does Bede credit Benedict with beginning?
5. What does Bede claim Cuthbert did to convert water to wine as he stayed at a convent in Tyne?
(a) He drank the water from a cup.
(b) He performed a wedding and asked for God's provisions over the reception.
(c) He dipped the hem of his garment in a cask of water.
(d) He spent a night's prayer vigil in a nearby lake.
Short Answer Questions
1. What custom arose from the burial of Ceolfrith?
2. What principal apostle of Ireland does Farmer claim encouraged monasticism for men and women?
3. Who gave Wilfrid the monastery at Ripon according to Stephanus?
4. How many monks did the anonymous author report Ceolfrith left behind at his monasteries?
5. Which cleric does Farmer identify as coming from Northumbria and trained at Melrose?
This section contains 308 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)