|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Bede report gave Cuthbert a cure for a tumor on his knee?
(a) The village doctor.
(b) An angel carrying a gold trumpet.
(c) Three strangers who were travelling through his town.
(d) An angel dressed in white riding a horse.
2. What was the result of the prayers Cuthbert led while he and two brethren were stranded during a sea voyage without provisions?
(a) A whale came to deliver them to their destination.
(b) God ended the storm and provided a passing ship to carry them to their destination.
(c) Angels mended their ship while the two brethren slept and Cuthbert kept a prayer vigil.
(d) They were provided with dolphin meat and calm seas.
3. Who returned a letter of thanks for the gift the monks delivered to Rome according to the anonymous author?
(a) Archbishop Berhtwald.
(b) Archdeacon Boniface.
(c) Pope Gregory.
(d) Pope Agatho.
4. Who welcomed Ceolfrith in Gaul, according to the anonymous author?
(a) King Hilperic.
(b) King Egfrid.
(c) King Ecgfrith.
(d) King Aldfrid.
5. What was the quote from the Psalms that Bede used to support God's hand in the event?
(a) "I have directed you in the way of wisdom; I have led you in upright paths."
(b) "A wise son accepts his father's discipline, But a scoffer does not listen to rebuke."
(c) "Out of the mouths of babes and sucklings Thou has perfected praise."
(d) "When you walk about they will guide you; When you sleep, they will watch over you."
Short Answer Questions
1. What custom arose from the burial of Ceolfrith?
2. What happened to Eosterwine during Benedict's fifth journey to Rome, according to Bede?
3. To what abbey does Bede report Benedict named Eosterwine?
4. Who was finally found to travel to St. Peter's with Wilfrid, according to Stephanus?
5. What does Bede record to be Benedict's orders regarding the books he had brought back from his several trips to Rome?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)