|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bede claim Christian converts profaned their faith in Chapter 9?
(a) With their sloth.
(b) With their works.
(c) With their ill-gotten gains.
(d) With the coarse language.
2. Who does Bede report provided the land for St. Peter's Monastery?
(a) King Egfrid.
(b) King Dagobert.
(c) King Ecgfrith.
(d) The Holy Synod.
3. Who does Stephanus claim influenced Ecgfrith to drive Wilfrid from his see?
(a) Ecgfrith's queen, Iurminbrugh.
(b) King Dagobert.
(c) Bishop Winfrid.
(d) Bishop Colman.
4. Whose death was Ceolfrith compared in the letter from Rome?
(a) Moses and Aaron who died before they could enter the Promised Land.
(b) Enoch who did not die, but walked with God.
(c) St. John who died after he had delivered the Revelation.
(d) Noah who died after he had delivered his family through the flood.
5. Who does Bede report gave Cuthbert a cure for a tumor on his knee?
(a) Three strangers who were travelling through his town.
(b) An angel carrying a gold trumpet.
(c) An angel dressed in white riding a horse.
(d) The village doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the anonymous author infer to be Ceolfrith's method of avoiding the plague that took the lives of many monks?
2. What was Benedict's council to those who visited him while he suffered his illness, according to Bede?
3. After he listened to the chastisement, what does Bede report to be Cuthbert's response?
4. What skill was brought from France to Britain as a result of the construction of the monastery in Northumbria, according to Bede?
5. To whom did Bede write the prologue to his "Life of Cuthbert"?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)