|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Farmer identify as the basic theme of the "Navigatio"?
(a) The healing mysteries of faith.
(b) The miraculous power of prayer.
(c) The quest for paradise on earth.
(d) The cleansing influence of virtue.
2. Why does the anonymous author claim that King Egfrith donated the resources for building another church and monastery?
(a) To show appreciation to Ceolfrith for healing his wife.
(b) To set an example of the support his subjects should give to Christianity.
(c) For the redemption of his soul.
(d) To bring the blessings of God on his reign.
3. Where does Stephanus claim peace was achieved between Wilfrid and his enemies?
(b) The Synod of Nidd.
(c) The Holy Synod.
4. Who does Bede write about as the abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow?
(a) Benedict, Cuthbert, Wilfrid, and Brendan.
(b) Ceolfrith, Eosterwine, Cuthbert, and Colman.
(c) Benedict, Ceolfrith, Eosterwine, Sigfrith, and Hwaetberht.
(d) Benedict, Ceolfrith, Ahlfrid, and Ecgfrith.
5. Why did Bede address his prologue to its named recipient?
(a) To affirm he virtues of Cuthbert to those whom he served.
(b) So the reader would know that the work was undertaken in compliance with the Bishop's wishes.
(c) To show his father that his devotion was being manifested in good works.
(d) To assure future Christians that the church was founded by men of reliable virtue.
Short Answer Questions
1. The saints who are detailed in "The Age of Bede" lived in what two centuries according to Farmer?
2. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
3. How does Bede claim Sigfrid came to be promoted from deacon to abbot after Eosterwine's left his abbey?
4. What were Brendan's most important monasteries, according to Farmer?
5. Who was chosen by the monks to serve as abbot in Ceolfrith's absence, according to the anonymous author?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)