|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what literary form does Farmer claim Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" is written?
(b) Iambic Pentameter.
2. What does Bede report came of King Egfrid during Benedict's journey?
(a) Egfrid contracted leprosy.
(b) Egfrid was slain.
(c) Egfrid came under siege.
(d) Egfrid began distributing his wealth to heirs.
3. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) Clergy would evangelize pagans who would give to support the construction of monasteries.
(b) The government would raise taxes to support the construction of monasteries.
(c) When a family would convert to Christianity, it would remain together as a group and convert their homes into monasteries.
(d) Nobles would provide land and funding for construction of monasteries.
4. Over what issue did Wilfrid debate Bishop Colman according to Stephanus?
(a) The specific day upon which to celebrate Easter.
(b) The role of icons in affirming faith.
(c) The parallels between Yom Kippur and Christmas.
(d) The importance of miracles in identifying saints.
5. Which Old Testament prophet does Bede first quote in the first paragraph of Chapter One?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who welcomed Ceolfrith in Gaul, according to the anonymous author?
2. How long did Eosterwine serve as abbot over Wearmouth, according to Bede?
3. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
4. Who does the anonymous author credit with providing master builders for the monastery that Ceolfrith helped to build?
5. Where did Stephanus report Wilfrid first settled after being chased from his see?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)