|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose record of Cuthbert's death did Bede use?
(a) Herefrith, a devout priest and abbot of Lindisfarne.
(b) Benedict who was a close friend of Cuthbert.
(c) Wilfrid who asked Bede to take a pilgrimage with him to Rome.
(d) Hwaetbehrt who succeeded him as abbot.
2. Which Old Testament prophet does Bede first quote in the first paragraph of Chapter One?
3. Where was the monastery that the anonymous author report Ceolfrith joined?
4. Who does Farmer claim enabled Wilfred to travel to visit other churches through Europe?
(a) Enfleda, Queen of Northumbria.
(d) Bishop Colman.
5. Who returned a letter of thanks for the gift the monks delivered to Rome according to the anonymous author?
(a) Archdeacon Boniface.
(b) Archbishop Berhtwald.
(c) Pope Agatho.
(d) Pope Gregory.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
2. Whose death was Ceolfrith compared in the letter from Rome?
3. How long did Eosterwine serve as abbot over Wearmouth, according to Bede?
4. What was the method that Bede writes Ceolfrith chose for a new abbot to be chosen to replace him?
5. Who did Bede report was chosen to replace Ceolfrith?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)