|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Bede, Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sign does Stephanus claim was sent to prove that God intended Wilfred to be a saint?
(a) He brought a baby back from death.
(b) The seas were calmed after storms shiprwrecked his party.
(c) God sent an angel to protect the monastery at Oundle.
(d) God brought defeat to kings who opposed him.
2. What effect did abbots in Ireland have on the influence of bishops, according to Farmer?
(a) They strengthened the bishops by collecting indulgences for them.
(b) The provided the channels for bishops to influence the population.
(c) They had no affect on the bishops.
(d) They diminished the influence of bishops.
3. What miracle does Stephanus report that Wilfrid performed during the construction of the church at Hexham?
(a) He healed through prayer a workman who fell from working on the highest part of the walls in the church.
(b) He prayed over a pile of stones used in the construction and the pile was not exhausted until the church was completed.
(c) He prayed for the health of the workers and all of them kept their health throughout the project.
(d) He prayed for God's provision of favorable weather and the project did not lose a day due to foul weather.
4. Who gave Wilfrid the monastery at Ripon according to Stephanus?
(a) King Ecgfrith.
(b) Bishop Winfrid.
(d) King Oswiu.
5. As Cuthbert was traveling with a boy during a preaching tour in Chapter 12, how did Bede report that Cuthbert prophesied their food would be provided?
(a) By two otters.
(b) By a fawn.
(c) By an eagle.
(d) By a dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Farmer credit with writing the earliest "Life of Cuthbert"?
2. Why was Cuthbert inspired to rise from his sickbed in Chapter 8, according to Bede?
3. What miracle did Cuthbert perform when he brought the Holy Ghost to a village that could only provide tents for him and his retinue?
4. What decision does Bede report Benedict made while Benedict and Sigfrith were on their deathbeds?
5. After his fourth trip to Rome, what does Bede report that Benedict brought back to Britain?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)