|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Bede, Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What monastery construction on the north bank of Wear was funded by Benedict, according to Bede?
(b) St. Peter's Monastery.
2. What does Stephanus claim was the King's response to the request that Wilfrid be sent to the duke?
(a) The king ignored the request.
(b) He tore up the scroll upon which the request was written in the audience of his court.
(c) He sent back a message that he had already executed Wilfrid to buy him time to escape.
(d) He promptly captured Wilfrid and sent him back to the petitioner, but God spared Wilfrid the condemnation.
3. What was Benedict's council to those who visited him while he suffered his illness, according to Bede?
(a) That they guard the monasteries at Wearmouth and Jarrow.
(b) That they devote themselves to fasting and prayer.
(c) That the ordinances he passed to them were not of his creation.
(d) That they study scripture regularly.
4. Who does Farmer credit with writing the earliest "Life of Cuthbert"?
(c) An anonymous monk from Lindisfarne.
(d) Eddius Stephanus.
5. What principal apostle of Ireland does Farmer claim encouraged monasticism for men and women?
(a) St. Patrick.
(b) St. Benedict.
(c) St. Brendan.
(d) St. Ceolfrith.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Farmer report came of Cuthbert after he spent many years in a monastery?
2. How did Cuthbert respond to converts who were falling away from the faith, according to Bede?
3. Who does Bede claim first chastised Cuthbert for his idleness and his indulgences?
4. In what book from the Bible does Bede claim Benedict took comfort during nights he could not sleep during his illness?
5. Who does Stephanus claim taught Wilfrid the rules of Easter while he was in this city?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)