|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Bede, Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bede report came of King Egfrid during Benedict's journey?
(a) Egfrid came under siege.
(b) Egfrid contracted leprosy.
(c) Egfrid was slain.
(d) Egfrid began distributing his wealth to heirs.
2. What monastery construction on the north bank of Wear was funded by Benedict, according to Bede?
(a) St. Peter's Monastery.
3. To what abbey does Bede report Benedict named Eosterwine?
4. How old was Wilfrid when Stephanus reported he left home to seek the kingdom of Heaven?
5. Over what issue did Wilfrid debate Bishop Colman according to Stephanus?
(a) The importance of miracles in identifying saints.
(b) The role of icons in affirming faith.
(c) The parallels between Yom Kippur and Christmas.
(d) The specific day upon which to celebrate Easter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Farmer asserts that the "Navigatio" is a fascinating mixture of what?
2. What term does Farmer use to identify a community of monks?
3. What does Farmer claim to be the name of the author of the "Navigatio"?
4. How many texts does D.H. Farmer report in the Introduction comprise "The Age of Bede"?
5. To what biblical story does Stephanus compare the event that preceded the battle between Wilfrid's party and the pagans?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)