|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Bede, Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What skill was brought from France to Britain as a result of the construction of the monastery in Northumbria, according to Bede?
(a) Block and tackle for the movement of large stones.
(c) Stone cutting.
2. What sign does Stephanus claim was sent to prove that God intended Wilfred to be a saint?
(a) The seas were calmed after storms shiprwrecked his party.
(b) God brought defeat to kings who opposed him.
(c) He brought a baby back from death.
(d) God sent an angel to protect the monastery at Oundle.
3. Who does Farmer claim enabled Wilfred to travel to visit other churches through Europe?
(b) Enfleda, Queen of Northumbria.
(c) Bishop Colman.
4. How does Bede claim Sigfrid came to be promoted from deacon to abbot after Eosterwine's left his abbey?
(a) He was elected over Hwaetberht.
(b) Benedict appointed him.
(c) He was appointed abbot by the remaining brethren at Wearmouth and by Ceolfrith.
(d) The pope named him to the position.
5. What was Benedict's council to those who visited him while he suffered his illness, according to Bede?
(a) That the ordinances he passed to them were not of his creation.
(b) That they study scripture regularly.
(c) That they devote themselves to fasting and prayer.
(d) That they guard the monasteries at Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bede trace as Eosterwine's relationship to Benedict?
2. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
3. What illness does Bede report came to Benedict shortly after Sigfrith became abbot of Wearmouth?
4. How does Bede claim Christian converts profaned their faith in Chapter 9?
5. After he listened to the chastisement, what does Bede report to be Cuthbert's response?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)