|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Bede, Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the body of Cuthbert buried, according to Bede's record?
(a) In a stone coffin on the right side of the altar in the church of the Blessed Apostle Peter.
(b) At the bottom of the lake where he kept many prayer vigils.
(c) In the catacombs of Wearmouth monastery.
(d) In the pasture that he kept during his time as a hermit.
2. After his debate with Bishop Colman won him acclaim, what does Stephanus report came of Wilfrid?
(a) Wilfrid was appointed abbot.
(b) Wilfrid was ordained as a priest.
(c) Wilfrid was elected to the episcopacy.
(d) Wilfrid became a Bishop.
3. Who did Bede report reviewed and revised his work?
(c) The Priest Herefrith.
4. To whom did Stephanus address his record of the "Life of Wilfrid"?
(a) To Boniface, the archdeacon who introduced him to the pope.
(b) Acca, his Bishop, and Tatberht, his Abbot.
(c) To his father.
(d) To Bishop Agilberht who ordained him to the priesthood.
5. What does Bede claim Cuthbert did to convert water to wine as he stayed at a convent in Tyne?
(a) He performed a wedding and asked for God's provisions over the reception.
(b) He spent a night's prayer vigil in a nearby lake.
(c) He dipped the hem of his garment in a cask of water.
(d) He drank the water from a cup.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Farmer report to be the earliest monk of the British Isles?
2. How did Cuthbert respond to converts who were falling away from the faith, according to Bede?
3. To what book does Bede refer for support of other angels who rode on horseback?
4. Who gave Wilfrid the monastery at Ripon according to Stephanus?
5. Who does Bede report provided the land for St. Peter's Monastery?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)