|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Bede, Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What miracle did Cuthbert perform when he brought the Holy Ghost to a village that could only provide tents for him and his retinue?
(a) He healed a blind man who shared his bread with them.
(b) He received wood from birds and animals to provide for a fire.
(c) With prayer he cured a boy that was dying.
(d) He fed the village a healthy stew made from nothing but a pot of water and three round stones.
2. What came of a phantom fire that came upon a village while Bede reports that Cuthbert was teaching on the distractions of the devil?
(a) They disappeared into thin air as Cuthbert prayed.
(b) Strong winds blew the fires away as soon as Cuthbert prayed for deliverance.
(c) God brought a torrent of rain that extinguished the phantom.
(d) An angel extinguished the flames with a mighty blow of his trumpet.
3. What principal apostle of Ireland does Farmer claim encouraged monasticism for men and women?
(a) St. Brendan.
(b) St. Benedict.
(c) St. Ceolfrith.
(d) St. Patrick.
4. What did Bede report Benedict brought back to Britain after his third trip to Rome?
(a) Icons from the tombs of saints to aid in the performance of miracles.
(b) Scholars who were trained in the interpretation of Scripture.
(c) A cantor named John who introduced the order of chanting and singing the Psalms to Britain.
(d) A large number of books on all branches of sacred knowledge.
5. What was the first miracle that Bede reports that Cuthbert performed?
(a) He healed a sick boy near death.
(b) He calmed a wind that had nearly blown rafts carrying monks to sea with his prayers.
(c) He healed himself of a lame leg.
(d) He brought a sheriff's wife back to life.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Eosterwine serve as abbot over Wearmouth, according to Bede?
2. Who kept Wilfrid until Stephanus claimed he could meet with suitable travelers as he began his journey to St. Peter's see?
3. What sign does Stephanus claim was sent to prove that God intended Wilfred to be a saint?
4. To whom did Stephanus address his record of the "Life of Wilfrid"?
5. Who was finally found to travel to St. Peter's with Wilfrid, according to Stephanus?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)