|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Bede, Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Wilfrid's destination when he left his home, according to Stephanus?
(a) The home of Biscop Baducing.
(b) Archbishop Dalfinus who hoped to adopt him as a son.
(c) King Oswiu's queen, Eanfled, to whom he was recommended by noblemen he served in his father's house.
(d) The home of King Erconberht of Kent.
2. Who did Bede report reviewed and revised his work?
(c) The Priest Herefrith.
3. What miracle does Stephanus report that Wilfrid performed during the construction of the church at Hexham?
(a) He prayed for God's provision of favorable weather and the project did not lose a day due to foul weather.
(b) He prayed for the health of the workers and all of them kept their health throughout the project.
(c) He healed through prayer a workman who fell from working on the highest part of the walls in the church.
(d) He prayed over a pile of stones used in the construction and the pile was not exhausted until the church was completed.
4. What illness does Bede report came to Benedict shortly after Sigfrith became abbot of Wearmouth?
(a) The plague.
(b) He was taken by consumption.
(c) He suffered creeping paralysis.
5. What does Farmer identify as the basic theme of the "Navigatio"?
(a) The miraculous power of prayer.
(b) The quest for paradise on earth.
(c) The healing mysteries of faith.
(d) The cleansing influence of virtue.
Short Answer Questions
1. What foundation does Bede credit Benedict with beginning?
2. What does Bede claim came of the person to whom Cuthbert prophesied his death?
3. Who does Stephanus claim taught Wilfrid the rules of Easter while he was in this city?
4. What was the result of the prayers Cuthbert led while he and two brethren were stranded during a sea voyage without provisions?
5. As Cuthbert was traveling with a boy during a preaching tour in Chapter 12, how did Bede report that Cuthbert prophesied their food would be provided?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)