|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Bede, Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose record of Cuthbert's death did Bede use?
(a) Herefrith, a devout priest and abbot of Lindisfarne.
(b) Hwaetbehrt who succeeded him as abbot.
(c) Benedict who was a close friend of Cuthbert.
(d) Wilfrid who asked Bede to take a pilgrimage with him to Rome.
2. What unique collection does Bede write that Benedict brought to England from his fifth trip to Rome?
(a) A collection of original copies of manuscripts of the Bible.
(b) Stained glass windows from France.
(c) A collection of sheet music on which to focus chants.
(d) A collection of paintings of the life of Christ.
3. What does Farmer claim to be the name of the author of the "Navigatio"?
(d) Eddius Stephanus.
4. What does Bede trace as Eosterwine's relationship to Benedict?
(a) They were cousins.
(b) They were in-laws.
(c) They were brothers.
(d) They were theological rivals.
5. In what literary form does Farmer claim Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" is written?
(d) Iambic Pentameter.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom did Cuthbert prophesy his own death, according to Bede?
2. To what abbey does Bede report Benedict named Eosterwine?
3. How many texts does D.H. Farmer report in the Introduction comprise "The Age of Bede"?
4. What were two things that Bede said he avoided in the prologue?
5. Who was the king who Stephanus reported to follow Wilfrid's guidance to win victories over the Picts and Mercia?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)