|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Bede, Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom did Cuthbert prophesy his own death, according to Bede?
(a) The residents on the island Lindisfarne.
(b) Hereberht, the hermit.
(d) Benedict Biscop.
2. What was the result of the prayers Cuthbert led while he and two brethren were stranded during a sea voyage without provisions?
(a) God ended the storm and provided a passing ship to carry them to their destination.
(b) A whale came to deliver them to their destination.
(c) Angels mended their ship while the two brethren slept and Cuthbert kept a prayer vigil.
(d) They were provided with dolphin meat and calm seas.
3. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) The government would raise taxes to support the construction of monasteries.
(b) Nobles would provide land and funding for construction of monasteries.
(c) When a family would convert to Christianity, it would remain together as a group and convert their homes into monasteries.
(d) Clergy would evangelize pagans who would give to support the construction of monasteries.
4. What does Farmer claim draws readers across the ages to the lives profiled in "The Age of Bede"?
(a) The colorful detail with which the ancient times are reported.
(b) The mystical accounting of miracles.
(c) The ideals and the scale of values of "The Age of Bede's" great men.
(d) The accurate history of various leaders in the region.
5. After his fourth trip to Rome, what does Bede report that Benedict brought back to Britain?
(a) Icons from the tombs of saints to aid in the performance of miracles.
(b) A cantor named John who introduced the order of chanting and singing the Psalms to Britain.
(c) A large number of books on all branches of sacred knowledge.
(d) Scholars who were trained in the interpretation of Scripture.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sign does Stephanus claim was sent to prove that God intended Wilfred to be a saint?
2. What does Farmer identify as the basic theme of the "Navigatio"?
3. What monastery construction on the north bank of Wear was funded by Benedict, according to Bede?
4. What miracle does Stephanus report that Wilfrid performed during the construction of the church at Hexham?
5. What does Bede claim Cuthbert did to convert water to wine as he stayed at a convent in Tyne?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)