|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Bede, Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Bede report gave Cuthbert a cure for a tumor on his knee?
(a) Three strangers who were travelling through his town.
(b) An angel dressed in white riding a horse.
(c) The village doctor.
(d) An angel carrying a gold trumpet.
2. What happened to Eosterwine during Benedict's fifth journey to Rome, according to Bede?
(a) Eostewine and a number of monks died from the plague.
(b) Eosterwine starved during a siege of Wearmouth.
(c) The pope beckoned Eosterwine to Rome.
(d) Eosterwine became abbot of Jarrow.
3. How old was Wilfrid when Stephanus reported he left home to seek the kingdom of Heaven?
4. How long did Ceolfrith preside over the responsibilities appointed to him by Benedict?
(a) 16 years.
(b) 3 years.
(c) 7 years.
(d) 28 years.
5. What does Farmer report came of Cuthbert after he spent many years in a monastery?
(a) He became a priest.
(b) He became an usher in the Holy See.
(c) He became a hermit.
(d) He was appointed Bishop.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the reasons that Stephanus gave for Wilfrid deciding to bring a dead child back to life in the village of On Tiddanufri?
2. Who does Bede claim first chastised Cuthbert for his idleness and his indulgences?
3. What does Stephanus claim was the King's response to the request that Wilfrid be sent to the duke?
4. When Wilfrid's ship had run aground on the English shore and was surrounded by pagans, what event does Stephanus report occurred that preceded a battle between Wilfrid's party and the pagans?
5. After he listened to the chastisement, what does Bede report to be Cuthbert's response?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)