|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Bede, Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who donated the land for Benedict to build a monastery in Northumbria, according to Bede?
(a) King Egfrid.
(b) The Holy Synod.
(c) King Dagobert.
(d) King Ecgfrith.
2. What does Bede record to be Benedict's orders regarding the books he had brought back from his several trips to Rome?
(a) That copied and spread throughout the monasteries of England.
(b) That they be offered to the Bishop so he could consider the best use of collection.
(c) That they be returned to Rome and the collection from which they were borrowed.
(d) That they be kept as a single collection and not broken up piecemeal.
3. Who did Bede report reviewed and revised his work?
(b) The Priest Herefrith.
4. What were two things that Bede said he avoided in the prologue?
(a) Ambiguity and hair-splitting.
(b) Criticism and pessimism.
(c) Judgementalism and piety.
(d) Doctrine and legalism.
5. To what abbey does Bede report Benedict named Eosterwine?
Short Answer Questions
1. What principal apostle of Ireland does Farmer claim encouraged monasticism for men and women?
2. What text does Bede report that Boisil recommended to Cuthbert?
3. Which of the works in "The Age of Bede" does Farmer claim was popular during the Middle Ages?
4. Who does Stephanus report led a synod which was actually a trap to take the properties that were under Wilfrid's authority?
5. Where does Farmer claim that the earliest surviving manuscript of "Navigatio" was written?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)