|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Bede, Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Irish apostle, according to Farmer, became famous for the founding of the Bobbio and Saint-Gall monasteries.
2. Why did Bede address his prologue to its named recipient?
(a) To affirm he virtues of Cuthbert to those whom he served.
(b) To assure future Christians that the church was founded by men of reliable virtue.
(c) So the reader would know that the work was undertaken in compliance with the Bishop's wishes.
(d) To show his father that his devotion was being manifested in good works.
3. Where did Stephanus report Wilfrid first settled after being chased from his see?
4. What was the result of the prayers Cuthbert led while he and two brethren were stranded during a sea voyage without provisions?
(a) God ended the storm and provided a passing ship to carry them to their destination.
(b) A whale came to deliver them to their destination.
(c) Angels mended their ship while the two brethren slept and Cuthbert kept a prayer vigil.
(d) They were provided with dolphin meat and calm seas.
5. How many texts does D.H. Farmer report in the Introduction comprise "The Age of Bede"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Farmer claim that the earliest surviving manuscript of "Navigatio" was written?
2. In what literary form does Farmer claim Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" is written?
3. To what office did Stephanus claim Agilberht ordained Wilfrid?
4. How does Bede claim Sigfrid came to be promoted from deacon to abbot after Eosterwine's left his abbey?
5. What miracle does Stephanus report that Wilfrid performed during the construction of the church at Hexham?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)