|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Bede, Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What skill was brought from France to Britain as a result of the construction of the monastery in Northumbria, according to Bede?
(a) Block and tackle for the movement of large stones.
(d) Stone cutting.
2. After his fourth trip to Rome, what does Bede report that Benedict brought back to Britain?
(a) A large number of books on all branches of sacred knowledge.
(b) Scholars who were trained in the interpretation of Scripture.
(c) A cantor named John who introduced the order of chanting and singing the Psalms to Britain.
(d) Icons from the tombs of saints to aid in the performance of miracles.
3. Who does Bede report gave Cuthbert a cure for a tumor on his knee?
(a) Three strangers who were travelling through his town.
(b) The village doctor.
(c) An angel carrying a gold trumpet.
(d) An angel dressed in white riding a horse.
4. What unique collection does Bede write that Benedict brought to England from his fifth trip to Rome?
(a) Stained glass windows from France.
(b) A collection of original copies of manuscripts of the Bible.
(c) A collection of sheet music on which to focus chants.
(d) A collection of paintings of the life of Christ.
5. To what abbey does Bede report Benedict named Eosterwine?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Eosterwine serve as abbot over Wearmouth, according to Bede?
2. What was the result of the prayers Cuthbert led while he and two brethren were stranded during a sea voyage without provisions?
3. Why was Cuthbert inspired to rise from his sickbed in Chapter 8, according to Bede?
4. To what biblical story does Stephanus compare the event that preceded the battle between Wilfrid's party and the pagans?
5. To whom did Bede write the prologue to his "Life of Cuthbert"?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)