|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Bede, Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What official does Farmer report presided over the community of monks?
(a) The regional bishop.
(b) A local abbot.
(c) The Cardinals.
(d) The Pope.
2. Who did Bede report was chosen to replace Ceolfrith?
3. What skill was brought from France to Britain as a result of the construction of the monastery in Northumbria, according to Bede?
(a) Block and tackle for the movement of large stones.
(b) Stone cutting.
4. After he listened to the chastisement, what does Bede report to be Cuthbert's response?
(a) He stopped spending so much time adventuring and devoted himself more seriously to studying the Bible.
(b) He forsook foolish games immediately and showed himself to be more mature and earnest.
(c) He began studying writing more seriously to produce works fit for public consumption.
(d) He began working harder on his chants to serve the worship needs of his town.
5. What condition does Bede write affected Sigfrith during his service as abbot?
(b) A lame leg.
(c) A painful and incurable disease of the lungs.
(d) A curved spine.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Stephanus report led a synod which was actually a trap to take the properties that were under Wilfrid's authority?
2. In what book from the Bible does Bede claim Benedict took comfort during nights he could not sleep during his illness?
3. After his debate with Bishop Colman won him acclaim, what does Stephanus report came of Wilfrid?
4. What animal does Bede claim ministered to Cuthbert after he spent a night in prayer in the water off the sea shore?
5. Who gave Wilfrid the monastery at Ripon according to Stephanus?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)