|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Bede, Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Bede report reviewed and revised his work?
(a) The Priest Herefrith.
2. What was Wilfrid's destination when he left his home, according to Stephanus?
(a) Archbishop Dalfinus who hoped to adopt him as a son.
(b) The home of Biscop Baducing.
(c) King Oswiu's queen, Eanfled, to whom he was recommended by noblemen he served in his father's house.
(d) The home of King Erconberht of Kent.
3. Why was Cuthbert inspired to rise from his sickbed in Chapter 8, according to Bede?
(a) Because he desired to be an inspiration to those in need.
(b) Because he knew that God would provide him strength to carry out ministry.
(c) Because he knew that God had certainly heard the prayers of the monks praying for him.
(d) Because he did not want to neglect the responsibility God had put before him.
4. Who does Farmer report to be the earliest monk of the British Isles?
(a) Benedict, a Roman bishop.
(b) Brendan, an Irish monk.
(c) Ceolfrith, a monk of Wearmouth.
(d) Cuthbert, a hermit of Lindisfarne.
5. In what book from the Bible does Bede claim Benedict took comfort during nights he could not sleep during his illness?
Short Answer Questions
1. To what biblical story does Stephanus compare the event that preceded the battle between Wilfrid's party and the pagans?
2. Who does Stephanus claim taught Wilfrid the rules of Easter while he was in this city?
3. What was the method that Bede writes Ceolfrith chose for a new abbot to be chosen to replace him?
4. Who was finally found to travel to St. Peter's with Wilfrid, according to Stephanus?
5. What sign does Stephanus claim that God used to indicate that Wilfrid would serve him in the future?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)