|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Bede, Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many Latin manuscripts of this document does Farmer claim still exists?
2. What term does Farmer use to identify a community of monks?
(a) The Holy Priesthood.
(c) The Royal Order.
(d) The Holy Knights.
3. What was Wilfrid's destination when he left his home, according to Stephanus?
(a) King Oswiu's queen, Eanfled, to whom he was recommended by noblemen he served in his father's house.
(b) The home of Biscop Baducing.
(c) The home of King Erconberht of Kent.
(d) Archbishop Dalfinus who hoped to adopt him as a son.
4. What does Bede trace as Eosterwine's relationship to Benedict?
(a) They were cousins.
(b) They were in-laws.
(c) They were theological rivals.
(d) They were brothers.
5. What miracle does Stephanus report that Wilfrid performed during the construction of the church at Hexham?
(a) He healed through prayer a workman who fell from working on the highest part of the walls in the church.
(b) He prayed over a pile of stones used in the construction and the pile was not exhausted until the church was completed.
(c) He prayed for the health of the workers and all of them kept their health throughout the project.
(d) He prayed for God's provision of favorable weather and the project did not lose a day due to foul weather.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unique collection does Bede write that Benedict brought to England from his fifth trip to Rome?
2. To whom did Cuthbert prophesy his own death, according to Bede?
3. What was the result of the prayers Cuthbert led while he and two brethren were stranded during a sea voyage without provisions?
4. Who was the wicked queen who Stephanus wrote persecuted the church and martyred nine bishops?
5. After he listened to the chastisement, what does Bede report to be Cuthbert's response?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)