|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Bede, Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who granted Wilfrid to preach in his first destination after being chased from his see?
(a) King Ecgfrith.
(b) King Aldgisi.
(c) King Perctarit.
(d) King Dagobert.
2. What illness does Bede report came to Benedict shortly after Sigfrith became abbot of Wearmouth?
(b) He suffered creeping paralysis.
(c) The plague.
(d) He was taken by consumption.
3. As Cuthbert was traveling with a boy during a preaching tour in Chapter 12, how did Bede report that Cuthbert prophesied their food would be provided?
(a) By a fawn.
(b) By two otters.
(c) By an eagle.
(d) By a dog.
4. How were Benedict and Sigfrith able to meet with each other shortly before they died from their illnesses, according to Bede?
(a) They were placed in wheel chairs and wheeled to meet with each other daily.
(b) They were moved to the basement of Wearmouth and spent their remaining days together.
(c) They were kept in the same room in the hospital.
(d) Sigfrith was carried to Benedict's room on a stretcher.
5. What sign does Stephanus claim was sent to prove that God intended Wilfred to be a saint?
(a) The seas were calmed after storms shiprwrecked his party.
(b) God sent an angel to protect the monastery at Oundle.
(c) God brought defeat to kings who opposed him.
(d) He brought a baby back from death.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bede claim came of the person to whom Cuthbert prophesied his death?
2. Who does Stephanus claim influenced Ecgfrith to drive Wilfrid from his see?
3. What was Wilfrid's destination when he left his home, according to Stephanus?
4. How does Bede claim Christian converts profaned their faith in Chapter 9?
5. To whom did Bede write the prologue to his "Life of Cuthbert"?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)