|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Bede, Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what literary form does Farmer claim Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" is written?
(b) Iambic Pentameter.
2. To what cause does Bede claim Benedict devoted himself after he traveled to Rome to visit the tombs of the Apostles?
(a) To training priestly aspirants to what is now known as the "Benedictine Order".
(b) Making known the forms of church life he witnessed in Rome.
(c) To the interpretation and preaching of the Gospel.
(d) To the translation and writing of scripture.
3. What official does Farmer report presided over the community of monks?
(a) The Cardinals.
(b) The regional bishop.
(c) A local abbot.
(d) The Pope.
4. After his debate with Bishop Colman won him acclaim, what does Stephanus report came of Wilfrid?
(a) Wilfrid was elected to the episcopacy.
(b) Wilfrid was appointed abbot.
(c) Wilfrid became a Bishop.
(d) Wilfrid was ordained as a priest.
5. Who does Bede report gave Cuthbert a cure for a tumor on his knee?
(a) Three strangers who were travelling through his town.
(b) An angel dressed in white riding a horse.
(c) The village doctor.
(d) An angel carrying a gold trumpet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did a demon leave the wife of Sheriff Hildmer as he and Cuthbert approached his home, according to Bede?
2. For what two countries does Farmer claim "The Age of Bede" to be an important source of early Christian Church history?
3. How were Benedict and Sigfrith able to meet with each other shortly before they died from their illnesses, according to Bede?
4. What sign does Stephanus claim was sent to prove that God intended Wilfred to be a saint?
5. Who does Farmer report to be the earliest monk of the British Isles?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)