|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Bede, Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bede claim Sigfrid came to be promoted from deacon to abbot after Eosterwine's left his abbey?
(a) He was appointed abbot by the remaining brethren at Wearmouth and by Ceolfrith.
(b) Benedict appointed him.
(c) He was elected over Hwaetberht.
(d) The pope named him to the position.
2. What was Benedict's council to those who visited him while he suffered his illness, according to Bede?
(a) That the ordinances he passed to them were not of his creation.
(b) That they study scripture regularly.
(c) That they guard the monasteries at Wearmouth and Jarrow.
(d) That they devote themselves to fasting and prayer.
3. Farmer asserts that the "Navigatio" is a fascinating mixture of what?
(a) Fact, fantasy, and literary borrowing.
(b) Fantasy, doctrine, and mystery.
(c) History, fact, and economic theory.
(d) Intrigue, sound doctrine, and drama.
4. What institution does Farmer suggest was responsible for the growth of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) The family.
(b) The Nobility.
(c) The government.
(d) The Clergy.
5. How old was Wilfrid when Stephanus reported he left home to seek the kingdom of Heaven?
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom did Cuthbert prophesy his own death, according to Bede?
2. Who did Bede report was chosen to replace Ceolfrith?
3. After his debate with Bishop Colman won him acclaim, what does Stephanus report came of Wilfrid?
4. Who does Stephanus claim taught Wilfrid the rules of Easter while he was in this city?
5. What effect did abbots in Ireland have on the influence of bishops, according to Farmer?
This section contains 308 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)