|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Eddius Stephanus: Life of Wilfred.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom did Cuthbert prophesy his own death, according to Bede?
(a) Benedict Biscop.
(c) Hereberht, the hermit.
(d) The residents on the island Lindisfarne.
2. Who does Farmer claim enabled Wilfred to travel to visit other churches through Europe?
(a) Bishop Colman.
(d) Enfleda, Queen of Northumbria.
3. What does Farmer report came of Cuthbert after he spent many years in a monastery?
(a) He was appointed Bishop.
(b) He became a priest.
(c) He became an usher in the Holy See.
(d) He became a hermit.
4. According to Stephanus, how did the expansion of the Kingdom that Wilfrid advised expand his authority as Bishop?
(a) Wilfrid was recognized by Rome as a powerful Bishop of England.
(b) Wilfrid used the expansion of the kingdom to claim more lands for the church.
(c) Wilfrid became wealthier from the expansion of the kingdom and used his wealth to buy support from Rome.
(d) Wilfrid became bishop over the Saxons, British, Scots, and Picts.
5. After he listened to the chastisement, what does Bede report to be Cuthbert's response?
(a) He stopped spending so much time adventuring and devoted himself more seriously to studying the Bible.
(b) He forsook foolish games immediately and showed himself to be more mature and earnest.
(c) He began studying writing more seriously to produce works fit for public consumption.
(d) He began working harder on his chants to serve the worship needs of his town.
Short Answer Questions
1. What came of a phantom fire that came upon a village while Bede reports that Cuthbert was teaching on the distractions of the devil?
2. What were two things that Bede said he avoided in the prologue?
3. Who does Bede report gave Cuthbert a cure for a tumor on his knee?
4. The saints who are detailed in "The Age of Bede" lived in what two centuries according to Farmer?
5. Who was the king who Stephanus reported to follow Wilfrid's guidance to win victories over the Picts and Mercia?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)