|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Eddius Stephanus: Life of Wilfred.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what literary form does Farmer claim Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" is written?
(b) Iambic Pentameter.
2. How does Bede claim Christian converts profaned their faith in Chapter 9?
(a) With the coarse language.
(b) With their works.
(c) With their sloth.
(d) With their ill-gotten gains.
3. Why was Cuthbert inspired to rise from his sickbed in Chapter 8, according to Bede?
(a) Because he did not want to neglect the responsibility God had put before him.
(b) Because he knew that God would provide him strength to carry out ministry.
(c) Because he knew that God had certainly heard the prayers of the monks praying for him.
(d) Because he desired to be an inspiration to those in need.
4. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) Clergy would evangelize pagans who would give to support the construction of monasteries.
(b) The government would raise taxes to support the construction of monasteries.
(c) When a family would convert to Christianity, it would remain together as a group and convert their homes into monasteries.
(d) Nobles would provide land and funding for construction of monasteries.
5. How did Cuthbert respond to converts who were falling away from the faith, according to Bede?
(a) He traveled to villages to preach the way of truth.
(b) He chastised them with harsh sermons.
(c) He secluded himself and prayed fervently for their integrity.
(d) He ministered to them directly by showing them a life of Christian integrity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What text does Bede report that Boisil recommended to Cuthbert?
2. Where did Stephanus report Wilfrid first settled after being chased from his see?
3. What was the first miracle that Bede reports that Cuthbert performed?
4. According to Stephanus, how did the expansion of the Kingdom that Wilfrid advised expand his authority as Bishop?
5. Who does Farmer report to be the earliest monk of the British Isles?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)