|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Eddius Stephanus: Life of Wilfred.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sign does Stephanus claim that God used to indicate that Wilfrid would serve him in the future?
(a) An angel disguised as a horseman helped with Wilfrid's delivery.
(b) Birds gathered to sing praises to God as Wilfrid was born.
(c) The house where he was being born caught fire but was not consumed.
(d) A fiery demon was chased from his village by a torrent provided by God.
2. Who was the wicked queen who Stephanus wrote persecuted the church and martyred nine bishops?
3. Who does Stephanus claim influenced Ecgfrith to drive Wilfrid from his see?
(a) Bishop Colman.
(b) King Dagobert.
(c) Ecgfrith's queen, Iurminbrugh.
(d) Bishop Winfrid.
4. How does Bede claim Christian converts profaned their faith in Chapter 9?
(a) With their sloth.
(b) With their works.
(c) With the coarse language.
(d) With their ill-gotten gains.
5. What does Farmer claim to be the name of the author of the "Navigatio"?
(c) Eddius Stephanus.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the quote from the Psalms that Bede used to support God's hand in the event?
2. To whom did Cuthbert prophesy his own death, according to Bede?
3. Who does Stephanus report restored Wilfrid to his see?
4. Why did a demon leave the wife of Sheriff Hildmer as he and Cuthbert approached his home, according to Bede?
5. Who does Farmer claim enabled Wilfred to travel to visit other churches through Europe?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)