|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Eddius Stephanus: Life of Wilfred.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stephanus claim was the King's response to the request that Wilfrid be sent to the duke?
(a) He sent back a message that he had already executed Wilfrid to buy him time to escape.
(b) He promptly captured Wilfrid and sent him back to the petitioner, but God spared Wilfrid the condemnation.
(c) He tore up the scroll upon which the request was written in the audience of his court.
(d) The king ignored the request.
2. Which duke of Theodoric petitioned the king over the land Wilfrid where was preaching to have Wilfrid sent to him dead or alive, according to Stephanus?
3. What kind of battles does Farmer report the church leaders in "The Age of Bede" fought?
(a) Economic battles against land owners who sought land on which churches were built.
(b) Political battles against corrupt kings.
(c) Spiritual battles against invisible diabolical enemies.
(d) Physical battles against pagans seeking to dismantle Christian influences.
4. Who does Stephanus claim influenced Ecgfrith to drive Wilfrid from his see?
(a) Bishop Winfrid.
(b) King Dagobert.
(c) Bishop Colman.
(d) Ecgfrith's queen, Iurminbrugh.
5. According to Stephanus, how did the expansion of the Kingdom that Wilfrid advised expand his authority as Bishop?
(a) Wilfrid used the expansion of the kingdom to claim more lands for the church.
(b) Wilfrid was recognized by Rome as a powerful Bishop of England.
(c) Wilfrid became wealthier from the expansion of the kingdom and used his wealth to buy support from Rome.
(d) Wilfrid became bishop over the Saxons, British, Scots, and Picts.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Stephanus claim taught Wilfrid the rules of Easter while he was in this city?
2. What does Farmer claim draws readers across the ages to the lives profiled in "The Age of Bede"?
3. How many texts does D.H. Farmer report in the Introduction comprise "The Age of Bede"?
4. Which document by Bede, according to Farmer, acts as a biography and a local history?
5. How old was Wilfrid when Stephanus reported he left home to seek the kingdom of Heaven?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)