|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Eddius Stephanus: Life of Wilfred.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Bede claim to be Cuthbert's preoccupation when he was still eight years old?
(a) Hunting and adventuring.
(b) Games and carefree play.
(c) Reading and writing.
(d) Praying and Chanting.
2. What was the quote from the Psalms that Bede used to support God's hand in the event?
(a) "When you walk about they will guide you; When you sleep, they will watch over you."
(b) "Out of the mouths of babes and sucklings Thou has perfected praise."
(c) "I have directed you in the way of wisdom; I have led you in upright paths."
(d) "A wise son accepts his father's discipline, But a scoffer does not listen to rebuke."
3. What came of a phantom fire that came upon a village while Bede reports that Cuthbert was teaching on the distractions of the devil?
(a) An angel extinguished the flames with a mighty blow of his trumpet.
(b) God brought a torrent of rain that extinguished the phantom.
(c) Strong winds blew the fires away as soon as Cuthbert prayed for deliverance.
(d) They disappeared into thin air as Cuthbert prayed.
4. To what book does Bede refer for support of other angels who rode on horseback?
(a) The Psalms.
(b) The history of the Maccabees.
(d) The Navigato.
5. What official does Farmer report presided over the community of monks?
(a) The Cardinals.
(b) The regional bishop.
(c) A local abbot.
(d) The Pope.
Short Answer Questions
1. Farmer asserts that the "Navigatio" is a fascinating mixture of what?
2. Where does Stephanus claim peace was achieved between Wilfrid and his enemies?
3. What were Brendan's most important monasteries, according to Farmer?
4. Who does Farmer credit with writing the earliest "Life of Cuthbert"?
5. What sign does Stephanus claim was sent to prove that God intended Wilfred to be a saint?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)