|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Eddius Stephanus: Life of Wilfred.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) The government would raise taxes to support the construction of monasteries.
(b) When a family would convert to Christianity, it would remain together as a group and convert their homes into monasteries.
(c) Nobles would provide land and funding for construction of monasteries.
(d) Clergy would evangelize pagans who would give to support the construction of monasteries.
2. Who gave Wilfrid the monastery at Ripon according to Stephanus?
(a) King Oswiu.
(b) King Ecgfrith.
(c) Bishop Winfrid.
3. As Cuthbert was traveling with a boy during a preaching tour in Chapter 12, how did Bede report that Cuthbert prophesied their food would be provided?
(a) By an eagle.
(b) By a fawn.
(c) By a dog.
(d) By two otters.
4. Who does Farmer claim enabled Wilfred to travel to visit other churches through Europe?
(a) Enfleda, Queen of Northumbria.
(b) Bishop Colman.
5. What effect did abbots in Ireland have on the influence of bishops, according to Farmer?
(a) They diminished the influence of bishops.
(b) They had no affect on the bishops.
(c) They strengthened the bishops by collecting indulgences for them.
(d) The provided the channels for bishops to influence the population.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the quote from the Psalms that Bede used to support God's hand in the event?
2. To what office did Stephanus claim Agilberht ordained Wilfrid?
3. The saints who are detailed in "The Age of Bede" lived in what two centuries according to Farmer?
4. What does Bede report Cuthbert used to cure a sick servant to a bodyguard of King Ecgfrith?
5. Where did Stephanus report Wilfrid first settled after being chased from his see?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)