|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Eddius Stephanus: Life of Wilfred.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Wilfrid's destination when he left his home, according to Stephanus?
(a) King Oswiu's queen, Eanfled, to whom he was recommended by noblemen he served in his father's house.
(b) The home of Biscop Baducing.
(c) Archbishop Dalfinus who hoped to adopt him as a son.
(d) The home of King Erconberht of Kent.
2. The saints who are detailed in "The Age of Bede" lived in what two centuries according to Farmer?
(a) The sixth and seventh A.D.
(b) The sixth and seventh B.C.
(c) The fourth and fifth B.C.
(d) The fifth and sixth A.D.
3. What was the result of the prayers Cuthbert led while he and two brethren were stranded during a sea voyage without provisions?
(a) They were provided with dolphin meat and calm seas.
(b) A whale came to deliver them to their destination.
(c) Angels mended their ship while the two brethren slept and Cuthbert kept a prayer vigil.
(d) God ended the storm and provided a passing ship to carry them to their destination.
4. For what two countries does Farmer claim "The Age of Bede" to be an important source of early Christian Church history?
(a) Rome and Ireland.
(b) England and Ireland.
(c) Ireland and The Netherlands.
(d) England and France.
5. Of what does Stephanus claim Wilfrid accused English bishops prior to his journey to Gaul?
(a) Being too strict with moral limits.
(b) Being corrupt with indulgences.
(c) Being similar in ideology to Celts.
(d) Being too stiff in worship services.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sign does Stephanus claim that God used to indicate that Wilfrid would serve him in the future?
2. Whose record of Cuthbert's death did Bede use?
3. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
4. What does Bede claim Cuthbert did to convert water to wine as he stayed at a convent in Tyne?
5. What miracle did Cuthbert perform when he brought the Holy Ghost to a village that could only provide tents for him and his retinue?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)