|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Eddius Stephanus: Life of Wilfred.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Farmer report to be the earliest monk of the British Isles?
(a) Brendan, an Irish monk.
(b) Benedict, a Roman bishop.
(c) Cuthbert, a hermit of Lindisfarne.
(d) Ceolfrith, a monk of Wearmouth.
2. Who does Farmer claim enabled Wilfred to travel to visit other churches through Europe?
(b) Bishop Colman.
(d) Enfleda, Queen of Northumbria.
3. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
(a) The Sacraments, baptism, and confession.
(b) The presbytery and the Holy Roman Empire.
(c) Indulgences, monasticism, and chanting.
(d) Monasticism and the primacy of the spiritual.
4. Which duke of Theodoric petitioned the king over the land Wilfrid where was preaching to have Wilfrid sent to him dead or alive, according to Stephanus?
5. To whom did Cuthbert prophesy his own death, according to Bede?
(a) The residents on the island Lindisfarne.
(b) Hereberht, the hermit.
(d) Benedict Biscop.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bede claim Christian converts profaned their faith in Chapter 9?
2. Of what does Stephanus claim Wilfrid accused English bishops prior to his journey to Gaul?
3. Who gave Wilfrid the monastery at Ripon according to Stephanus?
4. The saints who are detailed in "The Age of Bede" lived in what two centuries according to Farmer?
5. Who does Stephanus claim introduced Wilfrid to the Pope?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)