|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Eddius Stephanus: Life of Wilfred.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bede claim Cuthbert kept birds from eating the barley crop he grew as he lived in isolation as a monk?
(a) He said, "God will banish your souls to condemnation should you be robbing from His anointed."
(b) He kept a week-long prayer and fast to appeal to God to deliver his crops from the offending birds.
(c) He said, ". . . If God has given you permission, then do as He bade you: if not, be off with you, . . ."
(d) He invented the scarecrow.
2. What official does Farmer report presided over the community of monks?
(a) The Pope.
(b) The regional bishop.
(c) The Cardinals.
(d) A local abbot.
3. Of what does Stephanus claim Wilfrid accused English bishops prior to his journey to Gaul?
(a) Being similar in ideology to Celts.
(b) Being corrupt with indulgences.
(c) Being too stiff in worship services.
(d) Being too strict with moral limits.
4. Who does Farmer claim enabled Wilfred to travel to visit other churches through Europe?
(a) Enfleda, Queen of Northumbria.
(b) Bishop Colman.
5. Who did Bede report reviewed and revised his work?
(b) The Priest Herefrith.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Cuthbert inspired to rise from his sickbed in Chapter 8, according to Bede?
2. What were the reasons that Stephanus gave for Wilfrid deciding to bring a dead child back to life in the village of On Tiddanufri?
3. The saints who are detailed in "The Age of Bede" lived in what two centuries according to Farmer?
4. What miracle does Stephanus report that Wilfrid performed during the construction of the church at Hexham?
5. Where does Stephanus claim peace was achieved between Wilfrid and his enemies?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)