|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Eddius Stephanus: Life of Wilfred.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What institution does Farmer suggest was responsible for the growth of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) The Clergy.
(b) The government.
(c) The Nobility.
(d) The family.
2. What were Brendan's most important monasteries, according to Farmer?
(a) Wearmouth, Jarrow, Lindisfarne, and Melrose.
(b) Annadown, Christendom, Confert, and Melrose.
(c) Northumbria, Whitby, Inishadroum, and Jarrow.
(d) Clonfert, Annadown, Inishadroum, and Ardfert.
3. What was the first miracle that Bede reports that Cuthbert performed?
(a) He healed himself of a lame leg.
(b) He brought a sheriff's wife back to life.
(c) He healed a sick boy near death.
(d) He calmed a wind that had nearly blown rafts carrying monks to sea with his prayers.
4. As Cuthbert was traveling with a boy during a preaching tour in Chapter 12, how did Bede report that Cuthbert prophesied their food would be provided?
(a) By an eagle.
(b) By two otters.
(c) By a fawn.
(d) By a dog.
5. Why was Cuthbert inspired to rise from his sickbed in Chapter 8, according to Bede?
(a) Because he knew that God had certainly heard the prayers of the monks praying for him.
(b) Because he did not want to neglect the responsibility God had put before him.
(c) Because he knew that God would provide him strength to carry out ministry.
(d) Because he desired to be an inspiration to those in need.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Irish apostle, according to Farmer, became famous for the founding of the Bobbio and Saint-Gall monasteries.
2. What effect did abbots in Ireland have on the influence of bishops, according to Farmer?
3. In what literary form does Farmer claim Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" is written?
4. For what two countries does Farmer claim "The Age of Bede" to be an important source of early Christian Church history?
5. Who does Farmer credit with writing the earliest "Life of Cuthbert"?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)