|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Eddius Stephanus: Life of Wilfred.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) When a family would convert to Christianity, it would remain together as a group and convert their homes into monasteries.
(b) The government would raise taxes to support the construction of monasteries.
(c) Clergy would evangelize pagans who would give to support the construction of monasteries.
(d) Nobles would provide land and funding for construction of monasteries.
2. What does Farmer claim to be the document that the earliest monk wrote?
(a) "The Life of Wilfrid".
(b) "The Navigatio".
(c) "The Life of Cuthbert".
(d) "The Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow".
3. In what city did Stephanus report Wilfrid's traveling companion leave him after they started their journey to St. Peter's?
4. Who does Farmer report to be the earliest monk of the British Isles?
(a) Benedict, a Roman bishop.
(b) Brendan, an Irish monk.
(c) Cuthbert, a hermit of Lindisfarne.
(d) Ceolfrith, a monk of Wearmouth.
5. How many years does Farmer claim had passed before the biography of Brendan had first appeared?
(a) About 200.
(b) About 20.
(c) About 210.
(d) About 120.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Farmer claim draws readers across the ages to the lives profiled in "The Age of Bede"?
2. Where did Stephanus report Wilfrid first settled after being chased from his see?
3. Which of the works in "The Age of Bede" does Farmer claim was popular during the Middle Ages?
4. What were two things that Bede said he avoided in the prologue?
5. What was the first miracle that Bede reports that Cuthbert performed?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)