|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Eddius Stephanus: Life of Wilfred.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the result of the prayers Cuthbert led while he and two brethren were stranded during a sea voyage without provisions?
(a) Angels mended their ship while the two brethren slept and Cuthbert kept a prayer vigil.
(b) God ended the storm and provided a passing ship to carry them to their destination.
(c) A whale came to deliver them to their destination.
(d) They were provided with dolphin meat and calm seas.
2. According to Stephanus, how did the expansion of the Kingdom that Wilfrid advised expand his authority as Bishop?
(a) Wilfrid became bishop over the Saxons, British, Scots, and Picts.
(b) Wilfrid used the expansion of the kingdom to claim more lands for the church.
(c) Wilfrid was recognized by Rome as a powerful Bishop of England.
(d) Wilfrid became wealthier from the expansion of the kingdom and used his wealth to buy support from Rome.
3. What does Farmer identify as the basic theme of the "Navigatio"?
(a) The quest for paradise on earth.
(b) The healing mysteries of faith.
(c) The cleansing influence of virtue.
(d) The miraculous power of prayer.
4. What does Farmer claim to be the name of the author of the "Navigatio"?
(c) Eddius Stephanus.
5. How does Bede claim Christian converts profaned their faith in Chapter 9?
(a) With their works.
(b) With the coarse language.
(c) With their ill-gotten gains.
(d) With their sloth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose record of Cuthbert's death did Bede use?
2. What official does Farmer report presided over the community of monks?
3. What did Bede claim to be Cuthbert's preoccupation when he was still eight years old?
4. To what office did Stephanus claim Agilberht ordained Wilfrid?
5. Who kept Wilfrid until Stephanus claimed he could meet with suitable travelers as he began his journey to St. Peter's see?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)