|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Eddius Stephanus: Life of Wilfred.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Farmer claim to be the name of the author of the "Navigatio"?
(d) Eddius Stephanus.
2. To what office did Stephanus claim Agilberht ordained Wilfrid?
3. How did Cuthbert respond to converts who were falling away from the faith, according to Bede?
(a) He traveled to villages to preach the way of truth.
(b) He secluded himself and prayed fervently for their integrity.
(c) He ministered to them directly by showing them a life of Christian integrity.
(d) He chastised them with harsh sermons.
4. What does Bede claim Cuthbert did to convert water to wine as he stayed at a convent in Tyne?
(a) He spent a night's prayer vigil in a nearby lake.
(b) He drank the water from a cup.
(c) He performed a wedding and asked for God's provisions over the reception.
(d) He dipped the hem of his garment in a cask of water.
5. To what book does Bede refer for support of other angels who rode on horseback?
(a) The history of the Maccabees.
(c) The Psalms.
(d) The Navigato.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sign does Stephanus claim that God used to indicate that Wilfrid would serve him in the future?
2. After his debate with Bishop Colman won him acclaim, what does Stephanus report came of Wilfrid?
3. What came of a phantom fire that came upon a village while Bede reports that Cuthbert was teaching on the distractions of the devil?
4. What term does Farmer use to identify a community of monks?
5. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)