|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Eddius Stephanus: Life of Wilfred.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term does Farmer use to identify a community of monks?
(a) The Holy Knights.
(c) The Holy Priesthood.
(d) The Royal Order.
2. What kind of battles does Farmer report the church leaders in "The Age of Bede" fought?
(a) Physical battles against pagans seeking to dismantle Christian influences.
(b) Economic battles against land owners who sought land on which churches were built.
(c) Political battles against corrupt kings.
(d) Spiritual battles against invisible diabolical enemies.
3. Which cleric does Farmer identify as coming from Northumbria and trained at Melrose?
(c) Columba of Iona.
4. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) The government would raise taxes to support the construction of monasteries.
(b) Clergy would evangelize pagans who would give to support the construction of monasteries.
(c) When a family would convert to Christianity, it would remain together as a group and convert their homes into monasteries.
(d) Nobles would provide land and funding for construction of monasteries.
5. What does Bede claim came of the person to whom Cuthbert prophesied his death?
(a) He died at the same time as Cuthbert.
(b) He passed the story of Cuthbert's death to Bede.
(c) He was made abbot of lindisfarne.
(d) Cuthbert blessed him and he lived many years after receiving the prophesy.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what book does Bede refer for support of other angels who rode on horseback?
2. As Cuthbert was traveling with a boy during a preaching tour in Chapter 12, how did Bede report that Cuthbert prophesied their food would be provided?
3. How old was Wilfrid when Stephanus reported he left home to seek the kingdom of Heaven?
4. To whom did Bede write the prologue to his "Life of Cuthbert"?
5. What was the first miracle that Bede reports that Cuthbert performed?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)