|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Eddius Stephanus: Life of Wilfred.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stephanus claim was the King's response to the request that Wilfrid be sent to the duke?
(a) He promptly captured Wilfrid and sent him back to the petitioner, but God spared Wilfrid the condemnation.
(b) He tore up the scroll upon which the request was written in the audience of his court.
(c) The king ignored the request.
(d) He sent back a message that he had already executed Wilfrid to buy him time to escape.
2. Where did Stephanus report Wilfrid first settled after being chased from his see?
3. What was the first miracle that Bede reports that Cuthbert performed?
(a) He calmed a wind that had nearly blown rafts carrying monks to sea with his prayers.
(b) He healed himself of a lame leg.
(c) He healed a sick boy near death.
(d) He brought a sheriff's wife back to life.
4. What institution does Farmer suggest was responsible for the growth of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) The Nobility.
(b) The government.
(c) The Clergy.
(d) The family.
5. Which Old Testament prophet does Bede first quote in the first paragraph of Chapter One?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Bede report gave Cuthbert a cure for a tumor on his knee?
2. What effect did abbots in Ireland have on the influence of bishops, according to Farmer?
3. After he listened to the chastisement, what does Bede report to be Cuthbert's response?
4. Why was Cuthbert inspired to rise from his sickbed in Chapter 8, according to Bede?
5. What were Brendan's most important monasteries, according to Farmer?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)