|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Eddius Stephanus: Life of Wilfred.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Farmer claim draws readers across the ages to the lives profiled in "The Age of Bede"?
(a) The ideals and the scale of values of "The Age of Bede's" great men.
(b) The mystical accounting of miracles.
(c) The colorful detail with which the ancient times are reported.
(d) The accurate history of various leaders in the region.
2. Where is the body of Cuthbert buried, according to Bede's record?
(a) In a stone coffin on the right side of the altar in the church of the Blessed Apostle Peter.
(b) In the catacombs of Wearmouth monastery.
(c) In the pasture that he kept during his time as a hermit.
(d) At the bottom of the lake where he kept many prayer vigils.
3. Why did Bede address his prologue to its named recipient?
(a) To assure future Christians that the church was founded by men of reliable virtue.
(b) To affirm he virtues of Cuthbert to those whom he served.
(c) So the reader would know that the work was undertaken in compliance with the Bishop's wishes.
(d) To show his father that his devotion was being manifested in good works.
4. What institution does Farmer suggest was responsible for the growth of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) The Nobility.
(b) The Clergy.
(c) The government.
(d) The family.
5. Who does Bede report gave Cuthbert a cure for a tumor on his knee?
(a) The village doctor.
(b) An angel carrying a gold trumpet.
(c) Three strangers who were travelling through his town.
(d) An angel dressed in white riding a horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Stephanus report Wilfrid first settled after being chased from his see?
2. What was the result of the prayers Cuthbert led while he and two brethren were stranded during a sea voyage without provisions?
3. What effect did abbots in Ireland have on the influence of bishops, according to Farmer?
4. The saints who are detailed in "The Age of Bede" lived in what two centuries according to Farmer?
5. To whom did Cuthbert prophesy his own death, according to Bede?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)