|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Eddius Stephanus: Life of Wilfred.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Stephanus claim taught Wilfrid the rules of Easter while he was in this city?
(a) Bishop Baducing.
(b) Archbishop Dalfinus.
(c) Archbishop Dalfinus.
(d) Bishop Colman.
2. What does Stephanus claim was the King's response to the request that Wilfrid be sent to the duke?
(a) He promptly captured Wilfrid and sent him back to the petitioner, but God spared Wilfrid the condemnation.
(b) He sent back a message that he had already executed Wilfrid to buy him time to escape.
(c) He tore up the scroll upon which the request was written in the audience of his court.
(d) The king ignored the request.
3. To whom did Cuthbert prophesy his own death, according to Bede?
(b) Hereberht, the hermit.
(c) The residents on the island Lindisfarne.
(d) Benedict Biscop.
4. To what biblical story does Stephanus compare the event that preceded the battle between Wilfrid's party and the pagans?
(a) The story of the Israelites taking the Holy land from the Philistines.
(b) The story of Gideon.
(c) The story of Caleb taking his mountain.
(d) The story of David and Goliath.
5. What does Farmer identify as the basic theme of the "Navigatio"?
(a) The cleansing influence of virtue.
(b) The miraculous power of prayer.
(c) The healing mysteries of faith.
(d) The quest for paradise on earth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bede claim Cuthbert did to convert water to wine as he stayed at a convent in Tyne?
2. What was the quote from the Psalms that Bede used to support God's hand in the event?
3. Who gave Wilfrid the monastery at Ripon according to Stephanus?
4. Who was finally found to travel to St. Peter's with Wilfrid, according to Stephanus?
5. Who does Bede report gave Cuthbert a cure for a tumor on his knee?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)