|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Eddius Stephanus: Life of Wilfred.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the first miracle that Bede reports that Cuthbert performed?
(a) He calmed a wind that had nearly blown rafts carrying monks to sea with his prayers.
(b) He brought a sheriff's wife back to life.
(c) He healed a sick boy near death.
(d) He healed himself of a lame leg.
2. What was Wilfrid's destination when he left his home, according to Stephanus?
(a) The home of Biscop Baducing.
(b) Archbishop Dalfinus who hoped to adopt him as a son.
(c) The home of King Erconberht of Kent.
(d) King Oswiu's queen, Eanfled, to whom he was recommended by noblemen he served in his father's house.
3. How many years does Farmer claim had passed before the biography of Brendan had first appeared?
(a) About 210.
(b) About 120.
(c) About 20.
(d) About 200.
4. What sign does Stephanus claim was sent to prove that God intended Wilfred to be a saint?
(a) God sent an angel to protect the monastery at Oundle.
(b) God brought defeat to kings who opposed him.
(c) He brought a baby back from death.
(d) The seas were calmed after storms shiprwrecked his party.
5. Farmer asserts that the "Navigatio" is a fascinating mixture of what?
(a) History, fact, and economic theory.
(b) Fantasy, doctrine, and mystery.
(c) Fact, fantasy, and literary borrowing.
(d) Intrigue, sound doctrine, and drama.
Short Answer Questions
1. What came of a phantom fire that came upon a village while Bede reports that Cuthbert was teaching on the distractions of the devil?
2. To whom did Cuthbert prophesy his own death, according to Bede?
3. What does Farmer report came of Cuthbert after he spent many years in a monastery?
4. Who was the wicked queen who Stephanus wrote persecuted the church and martyred nine bishops?
5. Where is the body of Cuthbert buried, according to Bede's record?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)