|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Eddius Stephanus: Life of Wilfred.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Farmer claim to be the name of the author of the "Navigatio"?
(c) Eddius Stephanus.
2. What institution does Farmer suggest was responsible for the growth of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) The government.
(b) The family.
(c) The Clergy.
(d) The Nobility.
3. Who gave Wilfrid the monastery at Ripon according to Stephanus?
(a) Bishop Winfrid.
(b) King Oswiu.
(d) King Ecgfrith.
4. To whom did Cuthbert prophesy his own death, according to Bede?
(a) Benedict Biscop.
(b) The residents on the island Lindisfarne.
(d) Hereberht, the hermit.
5. Where does Farmer claim that the earliest surviving manuscript of "Navigatio" was written?
(a) At the monastery at Wearmouth.
(b) At the monastery at Melrose.
(c) At the monastery at St. Maximin.
(d) At the monastery at Inishadroum.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was finally found to travel to St. Peter's with Wilfrid, according to Stephanus?
2. What animal does Bede claim ministered to Cuthbert after he spent a night in prayer in the water off the sea shore?
3. What principal apostle of Ireland does Farmer claim encouraged monasticism for men and women?
4. What does Stephanus claim was the King's response to the request that Wilfrid be sent to the duke?
5. Which Northumbrian cleric does Farmer record as being trained in Lindisfarne?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)