|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Eddius Stephanus: Life of Wilfred.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bede report Cuthbert used to cure a sick servant to a bodyguard of King Ecgfrith?
(a) Water he blessed.
(b) A poltice delivered to him by an angel on horseback.
(c) Prayer and fasting.
(d) A salve brought to him by two otters.
2. What kind of battles does Farmer report the church leaders in "The Age of Bede" fought?
(a) Spiritual battles against invisible diabolical enemies.
(b) Physical battles against pagans seeking to dismantle Christian influences.
(c) Political battles against corrupt kings.
(d) Economic battles against land owners who sought land on which churches were built.
3. Who was finally found to travel to St. Peter's with Wilfrid, according to Stephanus?
(a) Boniface the Archdeacon.
(b) Archbishop Dalfinus.
(c) King Erconberht of Kent.
(d) Bishop Baducing.
4. Which Old Testament prophet does Bede first quote in the first paragraph of Chapter One?
5. What was the result of the prayers Cuthbert led while he and two brethren were stranded during a sea voyage without provisions?
(a) Angels mended their ship while the two brethren slept and Cuthbert kept a prayer vigil.
(b) They were provided with dolphin meat and calm seas.
(c) God ended the storm and provided a passing ship to carry them to their destination.
(d) A whale came to deliver them to their destination.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose record of Cuthbert's death did Bede use?
2. What miracle does Stephanus report that Wilfrid performed during the construction of the church at Hexham?
3. Who gave Wilfrid the monastery at Ripon according to Stephanus?
4. What were Brendan's most important monasteries, according to Farmer?
5. Why did Bede address his prologue to its named recipient?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)