|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years does Farmer claim had passed before the biography of Brendan had first appeared?
(a) About 200.
(b) About 120.
(c) About 210.
(d) About 20.
2. What institution does Farmer suggest was responsible for the growth of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) The government.
(b) The Clergy.
(c) The Nobility.
(d) The family.
3. Who does Farmer credit with writing the earliest "Life of Cuthbert"?
(a) An anonymous monk from Lindisfarne.
(c) Eddius Stephanus.
4. Farmer asserts that the "Navigatio" is a fascinating mixture of what?
(a) Intrigue, sound doctrine, and drama.
(b) Fact, fantasy, and literary borrowing.
(c) Fantasy, doctrine, and mystery.
(d) History, fact, and economic theory.
5. In what literary form does Farmer claim Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" is written?
(b) Iambic Pentameter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bede claim to be Cuthbert's preoccupation when he was still eight years old?
2. To what book does Bede refer for support of other angels who rode on horseback?
3. How does Bede claim Christian converts profaned their faith in Chapter 9?
4. Which document by Bede, according to Farmer, acts as a biography and a local history?
5. What text does Bede report that Boisil recommended to Cuthbert?
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)