|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Bede address his prologue to its named recipient?
(a) To assure future Christians that the church was founded by men of reliable virtue.
(b) To show his father that his devotion was being manifested in good works.
(c) So the reader would know that the work was undertaken in compliance with the Bishop's wishes.
(d) To affirm he virtues of Cuthbert to those whom he served.
2. Who does Farmer report to be the earliest monk of the British Isles?
(a) Benedict, a Roman bishop.
(b) Ceolfrith, a monk of Wearmouth.
(c) Brendan, an Irish monk.
(d) Cuthbert, a hermit of Lindisfarne.
3. As Cuthbert was traveling with a boy during a preaching tour in Chapter 12, how did Bede report that Cuthbert prophesied their food would be provided?
(a) By a fawn.
(b) By a dog.
(c) By an eagle.
(d) By two otters.
4. Whose record of Cuthbert's death did Bede use?
(a) Wilfrid who asked Bede to take a pilgrimage with him to Rome.
(b) Herefrith, a devout priest and abbot of Lindisfarne.
(c) Benedict who was a close friend of Cuthbert.
(d) Hwaetbehrt who succeeded him as abbot.
5. What does Farmer claim to be the name of the author of the "Navigatio"?
(a) Eddius Stephanus.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Irish apostle, according to Farmer, became famous for the founding of the Bobbio and Saint-Gall monasteries.
2. What effect did abbots in Ireland have on the influence of bishops, according to Farmer?
3. What animal does Bede claim ministered to Cuthbert after he spent a night in prayer in the water off the sea shore?
4. To whom did Cuthbert prophesy his own death, according to Bede?
5. How does Bede claim Christian converts profaned their faith in Chapter 9?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)