|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Farmer claim to be the document that the earliest monk wrote?
(a) "The Life of Cuthbert".
(b) "The Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow".
(c) "The Life of Wilfrid".
(d) "The Navigatio".
2. What does Farmer claim to be the name of the author of the "Navigatio"?
(a) Eddius Stephanus.
3. What animal does Bede claim ministered to Cuthbert after he spent a night in prayer in the water off the sea shore?
(a) A fawn.
(b) A dog.
(c) Two otters.
(d) An eagle.
4. What institution does Farmer suggest was responsible for the growth of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) The government.
(b) The Clergy.
(c) The family.
(d) The Nobility.
5. What principal apostle of Ireland does Farmer claim encouraged monasticism for men and women?
(a) St. Patrick.
(b) St. Brendan.
(c) St. Ceolfrith.
(d) St. Benedict.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Cuthbert respond to converts who were falling away from the faith, according to Bede?
2. What was the quote from the Psalms that Bede used to support God's hand in the event?
3. Which Northumbrian cleric does Farmer record as being trained in Lindisfarne?
4. Why was Cuthbert inspired to rise from his sickbed in Chapter 8, according to Bede?
5. What effect did abbots in Ireland have on the influence of bishops, according to Farmer?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)