|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years does Farmer claim had passed before the biography of Brendan had first appeared?
(a) About 210.
(b) About 20.
(c) About 200.
(d) About 120.
2. To whom did Bede write the prologue to his "Life of Cuthbert"?
(a) His father.
(b) Christians of future generations.
(c) Christians of who were served by his ministry.
(d) Bishop Eadfrid.
3. Why did a demon leave the wife of Sheriff Hildmer as he and Cuthbert approached his home, according to Bede?
(a) The angels that always walked ahead of Cuthbert battled the angels as the wife of the sheriff slept.
(b) Because the demon realized that God would come at Cuthbert's call.
(c) The demon could not stand the approaching of the Holy Spirit that resided in Cuthbert.
(d) Because Cuthbert had prayed that God would remove the demon before the Sheriff had returned to his home.
4. What animal does Bede claim ministered to Cuthbert after he spent a night in prayer in the water off the sea shore?
(a) An eagle.
(b) A dog.
(c) Two otters.
(d) A fawn.
5. What does Bede report Cuthbert used to cure a sick servant to a bodyguard of King Ecgfrith?
(a) A salve brought to him by two otters.
(b) Water he blessed.
(c) Prayer and fasting.
(d) A poltice delivered to him by an angel on horseback.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Bede report gave Cuthbert a cure for a tumor on his knee?
2. Which Old Testament prophet does Bede first quote in the first paragraph of Chapter One?
3. Which Northumbrian cleric does Farmer record as being trained in Lindisfarne?
4. How many texts does D.H. Farmer report in the Introduction comprise "The Age of Bede"?
5. What kind of battles does Farmer report the church leaders in "The Age of Bede" fought?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)