|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Bede report gave Cuthbert a cure for a tumor on his knee?
(a) The village doctor.
(b) Three strangers who were travelling through his town.
(c) An angel dressed in white riding a horse.
(d) An angel carrying a gold trumpet.
2. As Cuthbert was traveling with a boy during a preaching tour in Chapter 12, how did Bede report that Cuthbert prophesied their food would be provided?
(a) By a fawn.
(b) By an eagle.
(c) By two otters.
(d) By a dog.
3. What animal does Bede claim ministered to Cuthbert after he spent a night in prayer in the water off the sea shore?
(a) An eagle.
(b) A fawn.
(c) Two otters.
(d) A dog.
4. Which Irish apostle, according to Farmer, became famous for the founding of the Bobbio and Saint-Gall monasteries.
5. What does Bede claim Cuthbert did to convert water to wine as he stayed at a convent in Tyne?
(a) He dipped the hem of his garment in a cask of water.
(b) He drank the water from a cup.
(c) He performed a wedding and asked for God's provisions over the reception.
(d) He spent a night's prayer vigil in a nearby lake.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bede report Cuthbert used to cure a sick servant to a bodyguard of King Ecgfrith?
2. What effect did abbots in Ireland have on the influence of bishops, according to Farmer?
3. What text does Bede report that Boisil recommended to Cuthbert?
4. What was the first miracle that Bede reports that Cuthbert performed?
5. How many Latin manuscripts of this document does Farmer claim still exists?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)