|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Bede report gave Cuthbert a cure for a tumor on his knee?
(a) An angel dressed in white riding a horse.
(b) The village doctor.
(c) Three strangers who were travelling through his town.
(d) An angel carrying a gold trumpet.
2. What was the result of the prayers Cuthbert led while he and two brethren were stranded during a sea voyage without provisions?
(a) Angels mended their ship while the two brethren slept and Cuthbert kept a prayer vigil.
(b) A whale came to deliver them to their destination.
(c) They were provided with dolphin meat and calm seas.
(d) God ended the storm and provided a passing ship to carry them to their destination.
3. What institution does Farmer suggest was responsible for the growth of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) The Nobility.
(b) The family.
(c) The Clergy.
(d) The government.
4. What was the first miracle that Bede reports that Cuthbert performed?
(a) He calmed a wind that had nearly blown rafts carrying monks to sea with his prayers.
(b) He healed a sick boy near death.
(c) He healed himself of a lame leg.
(d) He brought a sheriff's wife back to life.
5. Who does Bede claim first chastised Cuthbert for his idleness and his indulgences?
(a) A solemn old man.
(b) A three-year-old child.
(c) His maternal grandfather.
(d) A neighbor who caught him in a prank.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Farmer credit with writing the earliest "Life of Cuthbert"?
2. What does Farmer claim draws readers across the ages to the lives profiled in "The Age of Bede"?
3. For what two countries does Farmer claim "The Age of Bede" to be an important source of early Christian Church history?
4. What animal does Bede claim ministered to Cuthbert after he spent a night in prayer in the water off the sea shore?
5. What principal apostle of Ireland does Farmer claim encouraged monasticism for men and women?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)