|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Farmer report to be the earliest monk of the British Isles?
(a) Cuthbert, a hermit of Lindisfarne.
(b) Brendan, an Irish monk.
(c) Benedict, a Roman bishop.
(d) Ceolfrith, a monk of Wearmouth.
2. What kind of battles does Farmer report the church leaders in "The Age of Bede" fought?
(a) Physical battles against pagans seeking to dismantle Christian influences.
(b) Economic battles against land owners who sought land on which churches were built.
(c) Political battles against corrupt kings.
(d) Spiritual battles against invisible diabolical enemies.
3. Who does Farmer claim enabled Wilfred to travel to visit other churches through Europe?
(c) Enfleda, Queen of Northumbria.
(d) Bishop Colman.
4. Which Irish apostle, according to Farmer, became famous for the founding of the Bobbio and Saint-Gall monasteries.
5. What does Farmer identify as the basic theme of the "Navigatio"?
(a) The miraculous power of prayer.
(b) The cleansing influence of virtue.
(c) The healing mysteries of faith.
(d) The quest for paradise on earth.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what literary form does Farmer claim Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" is written?
2. Why was Cuthbert inspired to rise from his sickbed in Chapter 8, according to Bede?
3. What does Bede claim Cuthbert did to convert water to wine as he stayed at a convent in Tyne?
4. Which Northumbrian cleric does Farmer record as being trained in Lindisfarne?
5. Who did Bede report reviewed and revised his work?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)