|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What institution does Farmer suggest was responsible for the growth of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) The government.
(b) The family.
(c) The Nobility.
(d) The Clergy.
2. Who did Bede report reviewed and revised his work?
(a) The Priest Herefrith.
3. Which document by Bede, according to Farmer, acts as a biography and a local history?
(a) "The Life of Wilfrid."
(b) "The Life of Cuthbert."
(c) "Lives of the Abbots."
(d) "The History of Abbot Ceolfrith."
4. How does Bede claim Christian converts profaned their faith in Chapter 9?
(a) With their works.
(b) With their ill-gotten gains.
(c) With the coarse language.
(d) With their sloth.
5. Who does Farmer report to be the earliest monk of the British Isles?
(a) Benedict, a Roman bishop.
(b) Ceolfrith, a monk of Wearmouth.
(c) Brendan, an Irish monk.
(d) Cuthbert, a hermit of Lindisfarne.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bede claim Cuthbert kept birds from eating the barley crop he grew as he lived in isolation as a monk?
2. What does Farmer claim to be the document that the earliest monk wrote?
3. What does Farmer identify as the basic theme of the "Navigatio"?
4. To what book does Bede refer for support of other angels who rode on horseback?
5. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)