|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bede claim came of the person to whom Cuthbert prophesied his death?
(a) He died at the same time as Cuthbert.
(b) He passed the story of Cuthbert's death to Bede.
(c) He was made abbot of lindisfarne.
(d) Cuthbert blessed him and he lived many years after receiving the prophesy.
2. What was the result of the prayers Cuthbert led while he and two brethren were stranded during a sea voyage without provisions?
(a) Angels mended their ship while the two brethren slept and Cuthbert kept a prayer vigil.
(b) God ended the storm and provided a passing ship to carry them to their destination.
(c) A whale came to deliver them to their destination.
(d) They were provided with dolphin meat and calm seas.
3. How many years does Farmer claim had passed before the biography of Brendan had first appeared?
(a) About 210.
(b) About 200.
(c) About 20.
(d) About 120.
4. Which Irish apostle, according to Farmer, became famous for the founding of the Bobbio and Saint-Gall monasteries.
5. Where does Farmer claim that the earliest surviving manuscript of "Navigatio" was written?
(a) At the monastery at St. Maximin.
(b) At the monastery at Melrose.
(c) At the monastery at Wearmouth.
(d) At the monastery at Inishadroum.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bede claim to be Cuthbert's preoccupation when he was still eight years old?
2. How many Latin manuscripts of this document does Farmer claim still exists?
3. What does Farmer claim to be the name of the author of the "Navigatio"?
4. What was the quote from the Psalms that Bede used to support God's hand in the event?
5. What does Bede report Cuthbert used to cure a sick servant to a bodyguard of King Ecgfrith?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)