|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Cuthbert respond to converts who were falling away from the faith, according to Bede?
(a) He traveled to villages to preach the way of truth.
(b) He ministered to them directly by showing them a life of Christian integrity.
(c) He chastised them with harsh sermons.
(d) He secluded himself and prayed fervently for their integrity.
2. How does Bede claim Christian converts profaned their faith in Chapter 9?
(a) With their sloth.
(b) With their works.
(c) With their ill-gotten gains.
(d) With the coarse language.
3. What were two things that Bede said he avoided in the prologue?
(a) Judgementalism and piety.
(b) Doctrine and legalism.
(c) Ambiguity and hair-splitting.
(d) Criticism and pessimism.
4. Why did a demon leave the wife of Sheriff Hildmer as he and Cuthbert approached his home, according to Bede?
(a) Because the demon realized that God would come at Cuthbert's call.
(b) Because Cuthbert had prayed that God would remove the demon before the Sheriff had returned to his home.
(c) The demon could not stand the approaching of the Holy Spirit that resided in Cuthbert.
(d) The angels that always walked ahead of Cuthbert battled the angels as the wife of the sheriff slept.
5. What text does Bede report that Boisil recommended to Cuthbert?
(a) The Gospel of Luke.
(b) The Epistles of St. Peter.
(c) The Epistle of St. James, the brother of Jesus.
(d) St. John the Evangelist.
Short Answer Questions
1. After he listened to the chastisement, what does Bede report to be Cuthbert's response?
2. Who does Farmer report to be the earliest monk of the British Isles?
3. What does Farmer identify as the basic theme of the "Navigatio"?
4. What kind of battles does Farmer report the church leaders in "The Age of Bede" fought?
5. Which Northumbrian cleric does Farmer record as being trained in Lindisfarne?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)