|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What text does Bede report that Boisil recommended to Cuthbert?
(a) The Epistle of St. James, the brother of Jesus.
(b) St. John the Evangelist.
(c) The Epistles of St. Peter.
(d) The Gospel of Luke.
2. What does Bede claim came of the person to whom Cuthbert prophesied his death?
(a) Cuthbert blessed him and he lived many years after receiving the prophesy.
(b) He died at the same time as Cuthbert.
(c) He passed the story of Cuthbert's death to Bede.
(d) He was made abbot of lindisfarne.
3. Who does Bede claim first chastised Cuthbert for his idleness and his indulgences?
(a) A neighbor who caught him in a prank.
(b) A three-year-old child.
(c) His maternal grandfather.
(d) A solemn old man.
4. What institution does Farmer suggest was responsible for the growth of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) The Nobility.
(b) The Clergy.
(c) The family.
(d) The government.
5. In what literary form does Farmer claim Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" is written?
(d) Iambic Pentameter.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Cuthbert respond to converts who were falling away from the faith, according to Bede?
2. Who does Farmer report to be the earliest monk of the British Isles?
3. Whose record of Cuthbert's death did Bede use?
4. What were two things that Bede said he avoided in the prologue?
5. To whom did Bede write the prologue to his "Life of Cuthbert"?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)