|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Farmer identify as the basic theme of the "Navigatio"?
(a) The quest for paradise on earth.
(b) The healing mysteries of faith.
(c) The cleansing influence of virtue.
(d) The miraculous power of prayer.
2. Why did Bede address his prologue to its named recipient?
(a) So the reader would know that the work was undertaken in compliance with the Bishop's wishes.
(b) To affirm he virtues of Cuthbert to those whom he served.
(c) To show his father that his devotion was being manifested in good works.
(d) To assure future Christians that the church was founded by men of reliable virtue.
3. What was the result of the prayers Cuthbert led while he and two brethren were stranded during a sea voyage without provisions?
(a) A whale came to deliver them to their destination.
(b) God ended the storm and provided a passing ship to carry them to their destination.
(c) They were provided with dolphin meat and calm seas.
(d) Angels mended their ship while the two brethren slept and Cuthbert kept a prayer vigil.
4. What does Farmer claim to be the name of the author of the "Navigatio"?
(d) Eddius Stephanus.
5. What was the first miracle that Bede reports that Cuthbert performed?
(a) He calmed a wind that had nearly blown rafts carrying monks to sea with his prayers.
(b) He brought a sheriff's wife back to life.
(c) He healed a sick boy near death.
(d) He healed himself of a lame leg.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were two things that Bede said he avoided in the prologue?
2. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
3. Who does Farmer claim enabled Wilfred to travel to visit other churches through Europe?
4. To what book does Bede refer for support of other angels who rode on horseback?
5. What animal does Bede claim ministered to Cuthbert after he spent a night in prayer in the water off the sea shore?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)