|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Irish apostle, according to Farmer, became famous for the founding of the Bobbio and Saint-Gall monasteries.
2. Why did a demon leave the wife of Sheriff Hildmer as he and Cuthbert approached his home, according to Bede?
(a) Because the demon realized that God would come at Cuthbert's call.
(b) Because Cuthbert had prayed that God would remove the demon before the Sheriff had returned to his home.
(c) The angels that always walked ahead of Cuthbert battled the angels as the wife of the sheriff slept.
(d) The demon could not stand the approaching of the Holy Spirit that resided in Cuthbert.
3. To whom did Cuthbert prophesy his own death, according to Bede?
(a) The residents on the island Lindisfarne.
(b) Hereberht, the hermit.
(d) Benedict Biscop.
4. What does Farmer claim draws readers across the ages to the lives profiled in "The Age of Bede"?
(a) The accurate history of various leaders in the region.
(b) The ideals and the scale of values of "The Age of Bede's" great men.
(c) The mystical accounting of miracles.
(d) The colorful detail with which the ancient times are reported.
5. What does Bede claim Cuthbert did to convert water to wine as he stayed at a convent in Tyne?
(a) He dipped the hem of his garment in a cask of water.
(b) He spent a night's prayer vigil in a nearby lake.
(c) He drank the water from a cup.
(d) He performed a wedding and asked for God's provisions over the reception.
Short Answer Questions
1. The saints who are detailed in "The Age of Bede" lived in what two centuries according to Farmer?
2. How does Bede claim Cuthbert kept birds from eating the barley crop he grew as he lived in isolation as a monk?
3. Which of the works in "The Age of Bede" does Farmer claim was popular during the Middle Ages?
4. What official does Farmer report presided over the community of monks?
5. What text does Bede report that Boisil recommended to Cuthbert?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)