|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What official does Farmer report presided over the community of monks?
(a) A local abbot.
(b) The regional bishop.
(c) The Pope.
(d) The Cardinals.
2. How does Bede claim Christian converts profaned their faith in Chapter 9?
(a) With their works.
(b) With their sloth.
(c) With their ill-gotten gains.
(d) With the coarse language.
3. Which cleric does Farmer identify as coming from Northumbria and trained at Melrose?
(a) Columba of Iona.
4. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) The government would raise taxes to support the construction of monasteries.
(b) Nobles would provide land and funding for construction of monasteries.
(c) When a family would convert to Christianity, it would remain together as a group and convert their homes into monasteries.
(d) Clergy would evangelize pagans who would give to support the construction of monasteries.
5. To whom did Bede write the prologue to his "Life of Cuthbert"?
(a) Christians of future generations.
(b) Bishop Eadfrid.
(c) His father.
(d) Christians of who were served by his ministry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bede claim Cuthbert did to convert water to wine as he stayed at a convent in Tyne?
2. Who did Bede report reviewed and revised his work?
3. What miracle did Cuthbert perform when he brought the Holy Ghost to a village that could only provide tents for him and his retinue?
4. To what book does Bede refer for support of other angels who rode on horseback?
5. Who does Farmer credit with writing the earliest "Life of Cuthbert"?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)