|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Cuthbert inspired to rise from his sickbed in Chapter 8, according to Bede?
(a) Because he did not want to neglect the responsibility God had put before him.
(b) Because he desired to be an inspiration to those in need.
(c) Because he knew that God had certainly heard the prayers of the monks praying for him.
(d) Because he knew that God would provide him strength to carry out ministry.
2. What text does Bede report that Boisil recommended to Cuthbert?
(a) The Epistles of St. Peter.
(b) The Gospel of Luke.
(c) St. John the Evangelist.
(d) The Epistle of St. James, the brother of Jesus.
3. How many years does Farmer claim had passed before the biography of Brendan had first appeared?
(a) About 120.
(b) About 200.
(c) About 20.
(d) About 210.
4. What were Brendan's most important monasteries, according to Farmer?
(a) Wearmouth, Jarrow, Lindisfarne, and Melrose.
(b) Northumbria, Whitby, Inishadroum, and Jarrow.
(c) Clonfert, Annadown, Inishadroum, and Ardfert.
(d) Annadown, Christendom, Confert, and Melrose.
5. To whom did Cuthbert prophesy his own death, according to Bede?
(a) Benedict Biscop.
(b) Hereberht, the hermit.
(c) The residents on the island Lindisfarne.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Bede report gave Cuthbert a cure for a tumor on his knee?
2. What was the quote from the Psalms that Bede used to support God's hand in the event?
3. Which Irish apostle, according to Farmer, became famous for the founding of the Bobbio and Saint-Gall monasteries.
4. Whose record of Cuthbert's death did Bede use?
5. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)