|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Cuthbert inspired to rise from his sickbed in Chapter 8, according to Bede?
(a) Because he desired to be an inspiration to those in need.
(b) Because he knew that God would provide him strength to carry out ministry.
(c) Because he knew that God had certainly heard the prayers of the monks praying for him.
(d) Because he did not want to neglect the responsibility God had put before him.
2. The saints who are detailed in "The Age of Bede" lived in what two centuries according to Farmer?
(a) The sixth and seventh A.D.
(b) The sixth and seventh B.C.
(c) The fourth and fifth B.C.
(d) The fifth and sixth A.D.
3. How does Bede claim Christian converts profaned their faith in Chapter 9?
(a) With their sloth.
(b) With the coarse language.
(c) With their ill-gotten gains.
(d) With their works.
4. Who does Farmer report to be the earliest monk of the British Isles?
(a) Cuthbert, a hermit of Lindisfarne.
(b) Ceolfrith, a monk of Wearmouth.
(c) Benedict, a Roman bishop.
(d) Brendan, an Irish monk.
5. Whose record of Cuthbert's death did Bede use?
(a) Herefrith, a devout priest and abbot of Lindisfarne.
(b) Benedict who was a close friend of Cuthbert.
(c) Wilfrid who asked Bede to take a pilgrimage with him to Rome.
(d) Hwaetbehrt who succeeded him as abbot.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the works in "The Age of Bede" does Farmer claim was popular during the Middle Ages?
2. What does Farmer claim draws readers across the ages to the lives profiled in "The Age of Bede"?
3. How many years does Farmer claim had passed before the biography of Brendan had first appeared?
4. Who does Farmer claim enabled Wilfred to travel to visit other churches through Europe?
5. Where does Farmer claim that the earliest surviving manuscript of "Navigatio" was written?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)