|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What principal apostle of Ireland does Farmer claim encouraged monasticism for men and women?
(a) St. Patrick.
(b) St. Ceolfrith.
(c) St. Benedict.
(d) St. Brendan.
2. How many Latin manuscripts of this document does Farmer claim still exists?
3. In what literary form does Farmer claim Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" is written?
(b) Iambic Pentameter.
4. What was the result of the prayers Cuthbert led while he and two brethren were stranded during a sea voyage without provisions?
(a) A whale came to deliver them to their destination.
(b) God ended the storm and provided a passing ship to carry them to their destination.
(c) They were provided with dolphin meat and calm seas.
(d) Angels mended their ship while the two brethren slept and Cuthbert kept a prayer vigil.
5. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
(a) Monasticism and the primacy of the spiritual.
(b) Indulgences, monasticism, and chanting.
(c) The Sacraments, baptism, and confession.
(d) The presbytery and the Holy Roman Empire.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
2. What official does Farmer report presided over the community of monks?
3. Why did a demon leave the wife of Sheriff Hildmer as he and Cuthbert approached his home, according to Bede?
4. Which document by Bede, according to Farmer, acts as a biography and a local history?
5. What does Bede report Cuthbert used to cure a sick servant to a bodyguard of King Ecgfrith?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)