|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Cuthbert was traveling with a boy during a preaching tour in Chapter 12, how did Bede report that Cuthbert prophesied their food would be provided?
(a) By two otters.
(b) By a dog.
(c) By an eagle.
(d) By a fawn.
2. Why did Bede address his prologue to its named recipient?
(a) So the reader would know that the work was undertaken in compliance with the Bishop's wishes.
(b) To assure future Christians that the church was founded by men of reliable virtue.
(c) To show his father that his devotion was being manifested in good works.
(d) To affirm he virtues of Cuthbert to those whom he served.
3. What was the result of the prayers Cuthbert led while he and two brethren were stranded during a sea voyage without provisions?
(a) A whale came to deliver them to their destination.
(b) Angels mended their ship while the two brethren slept and Cuthbert kept a prayer vigil.
(c) God ended the storm and provided a passing ship to carry them to their destination.
(d) They were provided with dolphin meat and calm seas.
4. Where is the body of Cuthbert buried, according to Bede's record?
(a) In the catacombs of Wearmouth monastery.
(b) In a stone coffin on the right side of the altar in the church of the Blessed Apostle Peter.
(c) At the bottom of the lake where he kept many prayer vigils.
(d) In the pasture that he kept during his time as a hermit.
5. What term does Farmer use to identify a community of monks?
(a) The Royal Order.
(c) The Holy Knights.
(d) The Holy Priesthood.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Farmer report came of Cuthbert after he spent many years in a monastery?
2. How many texts does D.H. Farmer report in the Introduction comprise "The Age of Bede"?
3. What kind of battles does Farmer report the church leaders in "The Age of Bede" fought?
4. For what two countries does Farmer claim "The Age of Bede" to be an important source of early Christian Church history?
5. To whom did Bede write the prologue to his "Life of Cuthbert"?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)