|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Farmer claim to be the name of the author of the "Navigatio"?
(d) Eddius Stephanus.
2. What was the first miracle that Bede reports that Cuthbert performed?
(a) He healed himself of a lame leg.
(b) He calmed a wind that had nearly blown rafts carrying monks to sea with his prayers.
(c) He brought a sheriff's wife back to life.
(d) He healed a sick boy near death.
3. What were Brendan's most important monasteries, according to Farmer?
(a) Northumbria, Whitby, Inishadroum, and Jarrow.
(b) Wearmouth, Jarrow, Lindisfarne, and Melrose.
(c) Clonfert, Annadown, Inishadroum, and Ardfert.
(d) Annadown, Christendom, Confert, and Melrose.
4. Which document by Bede, according to Farmer, acts as a biography and a local history?
(a) "The History of Abbot Ceolfrith."
(b) "The Life of Cuthbert."
(c) "Lives of the Abbots."
(d) "The Life of Wilfrid."
5. Which cleric does Farmer identify as coming from Northumbria and trained at Melrose?
(a) Columba of Iona.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Farmer identify as the basic theme of the "Navigatio"?
2. Which of the works in "The Age of Bede" does Farmer claim was popular during the Middle Ages?
3. What effect did abbots in Ireland have on the influence of bishops, according to Farmer?
4. Farmer asserts that the "Navigatio" is a fascinating mixture of what?
5. Who does Farmer report to be the earliest monk of the British Isles?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)