|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were two things that Bede said he avoided in the prologue?
(a) Doctrine and legalism.
(b) Judgementalism and piety.
(c) Ambiguity and hair-splitting.
(d) Criticism and pessimism.
2. Why did Bede address his prologue to its named recipient?
(a) To assure future Christians that the church was founded by men of reliable virtue.
(b) So the reader would know that the work was undertaken in compliance with the Bishop's wishes.
(c) To show his father that his devotion was being manifested in good works.
(d) To affirm he virtues of Cuthbert to those whom he served.
3. How does Bede claim Cuthbert kept birds from eating the barley crop he grew as he lived in isolation as a monk?
(a) He said, "God will banish your souls to condemnation should you be robbing from His anointed."
(b) He invented the scarecrow.
(c) He said, ". . . If God has given you permission, then do as He bade you: if not, be off with you, . . ."
(d) He kept a week-long prayer and fast to appeal to God to deliver his crops from the offending birds.
4. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) The government would raise taxes to support the construction of monasteries.
(b) Nobles would provide land and funding for construction of monasteries.
(c) When a family would convert to Christianity, it would remain together as a group and convert their homes into monasteries.
(d) Clergy would evangelize pagans who would give to support the construction of monasteries.
5. Which document by Bede, according to Farmer, acts as a biography and a local history?
(a) "The History of Abbot Ceolfrith."
(b) "The Life of Cuthbert."
(c) "The Life of Wilfrid."
(d) "Lives of the Abbots."
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bede claim to be Cuthbert's preoccupation when he was still eight years old?
2. After he listened to the chastisement, what does Bede report to be Cuthbert's response?
3. How did Cuthbert respond to converts who were falling away from the faith, according to Bede?
4. What does Bede claim came of the person to whom Cuthbert prophesied his death?
5. Which cleric does Farmer identify as coming from Northumbria and trained at Melrose?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)