|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bede claim Cuthbert kept birds from eating the barley crop he grew as he lived in isolation as a monk?
(a) He kept a week-long prayer and fast to appeal to God to deliver his crops from the offending birds.
(b) He said, ". . . If God has given you permission, then do as He bade you: if not, be off with you, . . ."
(c) He invented the scarecrow.
(d) He said, "God will banish your souls to condemnation should you be robbing from His anointed."
2. What were Brendan's most important monasteries, according to Farmer?
(a) Clonfert, Annadown, Inishadroum, and Ardfert.
(b) Wearmouth, Jarrow, Lindisfarne, and Melrose.
(c) Northumbria, Whitby, Inishadroum, and Jarrow.
(d) Annadown, Christendom, Confert, and Melrose.
3. What was the quote from the Psalms that Bede used to support God's hand in the event?
(a) "I have directed you in the way of wisdom; I have led you in upright paths."
(b) "A wise son accepts his father's discipline, But a scoffer does not listen to rebuke."
(c) "When you walk about they will guide you; When you sleep, they will watch over you."
(d) "Out of the mouths of babes and sucklings Thou has perfected praise."
4. How did Cuthbert respond to converts who were falling away from the faith, according to Bede?
(a) He secluded himself and prayed fervently for their integrity.
(b) He chastised them with harsh sermons.
(c) He traveled to villages to preach the way of truth.
(d) He ministered to them directly by showing them a life of Christian integrity.
5. For what two countries does Farmer claim "The Age of Bede" to be an important source of early Christian Church history?
(a) England and Ireland.
(b) England and France.
(c) Rome and Ireland.
(d) Ireland and The Netherlands.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what book does Bede refer for support of other angels who rode on horseback?
2. What does Bede report Cuthbert used to cure a sick servant to a bodyguard of King Ecgfrith?
3. How does Bede claim Christian converts profaned their faith in Chapter 9?
4. How many Latin manuscripts of this document does Farmer claim still exists?
5. What institution does Farmer suggest was responsible for the growth of monasteries in Ireland?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)