|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Cuthbert's Friday fast broken on one occasion at the vesper's hour according to Bede?
(a) Birds brought him bread from a far land.
(b) Cuthbert's horse pulled on a straw from the roof where he rested that was connected to a bundle of food from God.
(c) Otters brought him a meal of fish from the sea.
(d) An angel disgused as an old man fixed him a meal of rice and cakes.
2. Who does Bede claim first chastised Cuthbert for his idleness and his indulgences?
(a) A three-year-old child.
(b) A neighbor who caught him in a prank.
(c) His maternal grandfather.
(d) A solemn old man.
3. What miracle did Cuthbert perform when he brought the Holy Ghost to a village that could only provide tents for him and his retinue?
(a) He fed the village a healthy stew made from nothing but a pot of water and three round stones.
(b) He received wood from birds and animals to provide for a fire.
(c) With prayer he cured a boy that was dying.
(d) He healed a blind man who shared his bread with them.
4. What does Farmer identify as the basic theme of the "Navigatio"?
(a) The miraculous power of prayer.
(b) The healing mysteries of faith.
(c) The cleansing influence of virtue.
(d) The quest for paradise on earth.
5. What institution does Farmer suggest was responsible for the growth of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) The Nobility.
(b) The government.
(c) The family.
(d) The Clergy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many texts does D.H. Farmer report in the Introduction comprise "The Age of Bede"?
2. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
3. Which document by Bede, according to Farmer, acts as a biography and a local history?
4. Which Irish apostle, according to Farmer, became famous for the founding of the Bobbio and Saint-Gall monasteries.
5. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)