|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Bede, Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Farmer report to be the earliest monk of the British Isles?
(a) Benedict, a Roman bishop.
(b) Cuthbert, a hermit of Lindisfarne.
(c) Ceolfrith, a monk of Wearmouth.
(d) Brendan, an Irish monk.
2. What does Bede record to be Benedict's orders regarding the books he had brought back from his several trips to Rome?
(a) That they be offered to the Bishop so he could consider the best use of collection.
(b) That copied and spread throughout the monasteries of England.
(c) That they be returned to Rome and the collection from which they were borrowed.
(d) That they be kept as a single collection and not broken up piecemeal.
3. Who does Farmer claim enabled Wilfred to travel to visit other churches through Europe?
(c) Bishop Colman.
(d) Enfleda, Queen of Northumbria.
4. What kind of battles does Farmer report the church leaders in "The Age of Bede" fought?
(a) Economic battles against land owners who sought land on which churches were built.
(b) Political battles against corrupt kings.
(c) Physical battles against pagans seeking to dismantle Christian influences.
(d) Spiritual battles against invisible diabolical enemies.
5. Why was Cuthbert inspired to rise from his sickbed in Chapter 8, according to Bede?
(a) Because he knew that God would provide him strength to carry out ministry.
(b) Because he desired to be an inspiration to those in need.
(c) Because he knew that God had certainly heard the prayers of the monks praying for him.
(d) Because he did not want to neglect the responsibility God had put before him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who granted Wilfrid to preach in his first destination after being chased from his see?
2. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
3. After his debate with Bishop Colman won him acclaim, what does Stephanus report came of Wilfrid?
4. What was the quote from the Psalms that Bede used to support God's hand in the event?
5. What does Bede report came of King Egfrid during Benedict's journey?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)