|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the anonymous author claim presided over the monastery before Ceolfrith joined it?
(a) Ceolfrith's brother, Cynefrith.
(b) Abbot Botulf.
(c) Bishop Wilford.
(d) Ceolfrith's cousin, Tunbert.
2. Who does Farmer claim enabled Wilfred to travel to visit other churches through Europe?
(c) Bishop Colman.
(d) Enfleda, Queen of Northumbria.
3. How old was Wilfrid when Stephanus reported he left home to seek the kingdom of Heaven?
4. Who does Stephanus claim introduced Wilfrid to the Pope?
(a) Bishop Baducing.
(b) Archbishop Dalfinus.
(c) Boniface the archdeacon.
(d) Bishop Colman.
5. What was the result of the prayers Cuthbert led while he and two brethren were stranded during a sea voyage without provisions?
(a) God ended the storm and provided a passing ship to carry them to their destination.
(b) They were provided with dolphin meat and calm seas.
(c) Angels mended their ship while the two brethren slept and Cuthbert kept a prayer vigil.
(d) A whale came to deliver them to their destination.
Short Answer Questions
1. What monastery construction on the north bank of Wear was funded by Benedict, according to Bede?
2. What did Bede claim to be Cuthbert's preoccupation when he was still eight years old?
3. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
4. Whose death was Ceolfrith compared in the letter from Rome?
5. Who does Stephanus claim influenced Ecgfrith to drive Wilfrid from his see?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)