|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Farmer asserts that the "Navigatio" is a fascinating mixture of what?
(a) Fact, fantasy, and literary borrowing.
(b) Intrigue, sound doctrine, and drama.
(c) History, fact, and economic theory.
(d) Fantasy, doctrine, and mystery.
2. Who kept Wilfrid until Stephanus claimed he could meet with suitable travelers as he began his journey to St. Peter's see?
(a) Archbishop Dalfinus.
(b) Queen Eanfled's cousin, King Erconberht of Kent.
(c) Bishop Agilberht.
(d) Biscop Baducing.
3. What was Wilfrid's destination when he left his home, according to Stephanus?
(a) The home of King Erconberht of Kent.
(b) Archbishop Dalfinus who hoped to adopt him as a son.
(c) King Oswiu's queen, Eanfled, to whom he was recommended by noblemen he served in his father's house.
(d) The home of Biscop Baducing.
4. What apostle and New Testament book does the anonymous author on the history of Ceolfrith cite as his inspiration for writing the book.
(a) He cites the epistles of St. Peter.
(b) He cites the Apostle Paul's letter to the Hebrews.
(c) He cites the Apostle Paul's letters to the Corinthians.
(d) He cites the Gospel of John.
5. What did some of the monks who buried Ceolfrith take to Rome on his behalf, according to the anonymous author?
(a) A Bible translated from Hebrew and Greek originals according to the interpretation of Priest Jerome.
(b) A letter to the pope requesting more books of learning for the church.
(c) A painting of Ceolfrith made just prior to his death.
(d) Icons of Ceolfrith to be kept with other holy icons.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom did Bede write the prologue to his "Life of Cuthbert"?
2. Why does the anonymous author claim that King Egfrith donated the resources for building another church and monastery?
3. What skill was brought from France to Britain as a result of the construction of the monastery in Northumbria, according to Bede?
4. What miracle does Stephanus report that Wilfrid performed during the construction of the church at Hexham?
5. In what book from the Bible does Bede claim Benedict took comfort during nights he could not sleep during his illness?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)