|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After he listened to the chastisement, what does Bede report to be Cuthbert's response?
(a) He began studying writing more seriously to produce works fit for public consumption.
(b) He stopped spending so much time adventuring and devoted himself more seriously to studying the Bible.
(c) He forsook foolish games immediately and showed himself to be more mature and earnest.
(d) He began working harder on his chants to serve the worship needs of his town.
2. Where does Stephanus claim peace was achieved between Wilfrid and his enemies?
(a) The Holy Synod.
(d) The Synod of Nidd.
3. Who does Bede write about as the abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow?
(a) Benedict, Ceolfrith, Ahlfrid, and Ecgfrith.
(b) Ceolfrith, Eosterwine, Cuthbert, and Colman.
(c) Benedict, Ceolfrith, Eosterwine, Sigfrith, and Hwaetberht.
(d) Benedict, Cuthbert, Wilfrid, and Brendan.
4. Who does Stephanus claim influenced Ecgfrith to drive Wilfrid from his see?
(a) Bishop Winfrid.
(b) Ecgfrith's queen, Iurminbrugh.
(c) Bishop Colman.
(d) King Dagobert.
5. How many monks did the anonymous author report Ceolfrith left behind at his monasteries?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who donated the land for Benedict to build a monastery in Northumbria, according to Bede?
2. Who was named to rule the monastery shortly before Ceolfrith joined it, according to the anonymous author?
3. What were the reasons that Stephanus gave for Wilfrid deciding to bring a dead child back to life in the village of On Tiddanufri?
4. What was the first miracle that Bede reports that Cuthbert performed?
5. What miracle does Stephanus report that Wilfrid performed during the construction of the church at Hexham?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)