|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the king who Stephanus reported to follow Wilfrid's guidance to win victories over the Picts and Mercia?
(a) King Alhfrith.
(b) King Oswiu.
(c) King Erconbehrt.
(d) King Ecgfrith.
2. What came of a phantom fire that came upon a village while Bede reports that Cuthbert was teaching on the distractions of the devil?
(a) God brought a torrent of rain that extinguished the phantom.
(b) An angel extinguished the flames with a mighty blow of his trumpet.
(c) Strong winds blew the fires away as soon as Cuthbert prayed for deliverance.
(d) They disappeared into thin air as Cuthbert prayed.
3. How did Cuthbert respond to converts who were falling away from the faith, according to Bede?
(a) He traveled to villages to preach the way of truth.
(b) He chastised them with harsh sermons.
(c) He secluded himself and prayed fervently for their integrity.
(d) He ministered to them directly by showing them a life of Christian integrity.
4. What does Farmer identify as the basic theme of the "Navigatio"?
(a) The quest for paradise on earth.
(b) The miraculous power of prayer.
(c) The cleansing influence of virtue.
(d) The healing mysteries of faith.
5. Who was finally found to travel to St. Peter's with Wilfrid, according to Stephanus?
(a) Archbishop Dalfinus.
(b) Bishop Baducing.
(c) Boniface the Archdeacon.
(d) King Erconberht of Kent.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Bede report was chosen to replace Ceolfrith?
2. To what abbey does Bede report Benedict named Eosterwine?
3. Farmer asserts that the "Navigatio" is a fascinating mixture of what?
4. Which of the works in "The Age of Bede" does Farmer claim was popular during the Middle Ages?
5. What did some of the monks who buried Ceolfrith take to Rome on his behalf, according to the anonymous author?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)