|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the anonymous author claim presided over the monastery before Ceolfrith joined it?
(a) Ceolfrith's brother, Cynefrith.
(b) Abbot Botulf.
(c) Bishop Wilford.
(d) Ceolfrith's cousin, Tunbert.
2. When Wilfrid's ship had run aground on the English shore and was surrounded by pagans, what event does Stephanus report occurred that preceded a battle between Wilfrid's party and the pagans?
(a) Wilfrid blessed a stone that he used to heal a companion cursed by a pagan wizard.
(b) One of Wilfrid's companions killed the pagan's wizard with a stone blessed by the party from the ship.
(c) Wilfrid called down angels to ward off a curse from a pagan wizard.
(d) A legion of angels protected Wilfrid's companions from an attack led by a pagan wizard.
3. Who was the wicked queen who Stephanus wrote persecuted the church and martyred nine bishops?
4. What was the first miracle that Bede reports that Cuthbert performed?
(a) He healed himself of a lame leg.
(b) He calmed a wind that had nearly blown rafts carrying monks to sea with his prayers.
(c) He healed a sick boy near death.
(d) He brought a sheriff's wife back to life.
5. Who does Stephanus claim taught Wilfrid the rules of Easter while he was in this city?
(a) Bishop Colman.
(b) Bishop Baducing.
(c) Archbishop Dalfinus.
(d) Archbishop Dalfinus.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the monastery that the anonymous author report Ceolfrith joined?
2. After his debate with Bishop Colman won him acclaim, what does Stephanus report came of Wilfrid?
3. Who does Stephanus report led a synod which was actually a trap to take the properties that were under Wilfrid's authority?
4. After his fourth trip to Rome, what does Bede report that Benedict brought back to Britain?
5. Why did Benedict name Ceolfrith to be abbot over the two monasteries he helped to build, according to the anonymous author?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)