|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Cuthbert was traveling with a boy during a preaching tour in Chapter 12, how did Bede report that Cuthbert prophesied their food would be provided?
(a) By a fawn.
(b) By two otters.
(c) By an eagle.
(d) By a dog.
2. What miracle does Stephanus report that Wilfrid performed during the construction of the church at Hexham?
(a) He prayed for the health of the workers and all of them kept their health throughout the project.
(b) He prayed over a pile of stones used in the construction and the pile was not exhausted until the church was completed.
(c) He healed through prayer a workman who fell from working on the highest part of the walls in the church.
(d) He prayed for God's provision of favorable weather and the project did not lose a day due to foul weather.
3. What does Bede report came of King Egfrid during Benedict's journey?
(a) Egfrid contracted leprosy.
(b) Egfrid came under siege.
(c) Egfrid began distributing his wealth to heirs.
(d) Egfrid was slain.
4. What were Brendan's most important monasteries, according to Farmer?
(a) Clonfert, Annadown, Inishadroum, and Ardfert.
(b) Wearmouth, Jarrow, Lindisfarne, and Melrose.
(c) Annadown, Christendom, Confert, and Melrose.
(d) Northumbria, Whitby, Inishadroum, and Jarrow.
5. Who did the anonymous author claim chose Ceolfrith to help him build a monastery?
(a) Abbot Benedict.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the anonymous author report occurred to Ceolfrith on the day he reached Langres on September 25?
2. What came of a phantom fire that came upon a village while Bede reports that Cuthbert was teaching on the distractions of the devil?
3. Who kept Wilfrid until Stephanus claimed he could meet with suitable travelers as he began his journey to St. Peter's see?
4. What sign does Stephanus claim was sent to prove that God intended Wilfred to be a saint?
5. In what literary form does Farmer claim Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" is written?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)