|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term does Farmer use to identify a community of monks?
(b) The Holy Priesthood.
(c) The Royal Order.
(d) The Holy Knights.
2. What condition does Bede write affected Sigfrith during his service as abbot?
(a) A lame leg.
(b) A curved spine.
(c) A painful and incurable disease of the lungs.
3. What does Farmer claim to be the name of the author of the "Navigatio"?
(a) Eddius Stephanus.
4. Where does the anonymous author report Ceolfrith was buried?
(a) In a secluded wood as he favored his time spent as a hermit.
(b) In Wearmouth next to the tomb of Benedict.
(c) In the church of the holy martyred brothers Speusippus, Eleusippus, and Meleusippus.
(d) In the new abbey at Jarrow.
5. Who did the anonymous author claim chose Ceolfrith to help him build a monastery?
(d) Abbot Benedict.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bede claim to be Cuthbert's preoccupation when he was still eight years old?
2. Who returned a letter of thanks for the gift the monks delivered to Rome according to the anonymous author?
3. In what book from the Bible does Bede claim Benedict took comfort during nights he could not sleep during his illness?
4. To what biblical story does Stephanus compare the event that preceded the battle between Wilfrid's party and the pagans?
5. What institution does Farmer suggest was responsible for the growth of monasteries in Ireland?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)