|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the anonymous author report occurred to Ceolfrith on the day he reached Langres on September 25?
(a) He was asked to lead worship at the abbey there.
(b) He was miraculously freed from bandits who had cornered him on his journey.
(c) He was recived by the Galic king.
(d) He died.
2. How many total years does the anonymous author report that Ceolfrith ruled separately over the monasteries of St. Peter and St. Paul?
3. What did Bede claim to be Cuthbert's preoccupation when he was still eight years old?
(a) Games and carefree play.
(b) Praying and Chanting.
(c) Reading and writing.
(d) Hunting and adventuring.
4. Who was chosen by the monks to serve as abbot in Ceolfrith's absence, according to the anonymous author?
(b) Abbot Botulf.
5. Where does the anonymous author report Ceolfrith was buried?
(a) In Wearmouth next to the tomb of Benedict.
(b) In a secluded wood as he favored his time spent as a hermit.
(c) In the new abbey at Jarrow.
(d) In the church of the holy martyred brothers Speusippus, Eleusippus, and Meleusippus.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bede claim Cuthbert did to convert water to wine as he stayed at a convent in Tyne?
2. Over what issue did Wilfrid debate Bishop Colman according to Stephanus?
3. What foundation does Bede credit Benedict with beginning?
4. What does Bede claim came of the person to whom Cuthbert prophesied his death?
5. Who did Bede report was chosen to replace Ceolfrith?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)