|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Cuthbert was traveling with a boy during a preaching tour in Chapter 12, how did Bede report that Cuthbert prophesied their food would be provided?
(a) By a fawn.
(b) By an eagle.
(c) By two otters.
(d) By a dog.
2. Who does Bede claim first chastised Cuthbert for his idleness and his indulgences?
(a) A three-year-old child.
(b) His maternal grandfather.
(c) A solemn old man.
(d) A neighbor who caught him in a prank.
3. Which document by Bede, according to Farmer, acts as a biography and a local history?
(a) "Lives of the Abbots."
(b) "The Life of Wilfrid."
(c) "The Life of Cuthbert."
(d) "The History of Abbot Ceolfrith."
4. What were Brendan's most important monasteries, according to Farmer?
(a) Clonfert, Annadown, Inishadroum, and Ardfert.
(b) Wearmouth, Jarrow, Lindisfarne, and Melrose.
(c) Annadown, Christendom, Confert, and Melrose.
(d) Northumbria, Whitby, Inishadroum, and Jarrow.
5. How does Bede claim Cuthbert kept birds from eating the barley crop he grew as he lived in isolation as a monk?
(a) He invented the scarecrow.
(b) He said, "God will banish your souls to condemnation should you be robbing from His anointed."
(c) He said, ". . . If God has given you permission, then do as He bade you: if not, be off with you, . . ."
(d) He kept a week-long prayer and fast to appeal to God to deliver his crops from the offending birds.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the king who Stephanus reported to follow Wilfrid's guidance to win victories over the Picts and Mercia?
2. What did the anonymous author infer to be Ceolfrith's method of avoiding the plague that took the lives of many monks?
3. Who does Stephanus claim influenced Ecgfrith to drive Wilfrid from his see?
4. What was the result of the prayers Cuthbert led while he and two brethren were stranded during a sea voyage without provisions?
5. Who was named to rule the monastery shortly before Ceolfrith joined it, according to the anonymous author?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)