|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Stephanus report restored Wilfrid to his see?
(a) King Ecgfrith.
(b) Archbishop Berhtrwald.
(d) Pope Agatho and the Holy Synod.
2. Who did Bede report was chosen to replace Ceolfrith?
3. Who kept Wilfrid until Stephanus claimed he could meet with suitable travelers as he began his journey to St. Peter's see?
(a) Queen Eanfled's cousin, King Erconberht of Kent.
(b) Bishop Agilberht.
(c) Archbishop Dalfinus.
(d) Biscop Baducing.
4. What happened to Eosterwine during Benedict's fifth journey to Rome, according to Bede?
(a) The pope beckoned Eosterwine to Rome.
(b) Eostewine and a number of monks died from the plague.
(c) Eosterwine became abbot of Jarrow.
(d) Eosterwine starved during a siege of Wearmouth.
5. What Psalm did the monks from St. Peter's sing to Ceolfrith as he left on his pilgrimage, according to the anonymous author?
(a) Psalm 66, "May God have mercy on us and bless us, lighten his face and have mercy on us."
(b) Psalm 125, "As the Mountains surround Jerusalem, So the Lord surrounds His people."
(c) Psalm 91, "He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty."
(d) Psalm 20, "May the Lord answer you in the day of trouble! May the name of the God of Jacob set you securely on high!"
Short Answer Questions
1. What did some of the monks who buried Ceolfrith take to Rome on his behalf, according to the anonymous author?
2. What does Farmer claim draws readers across the ages to the lives profiled in "The Age of Bede"?
3. Where does the anonymous author report Ceolfrith was buried?
4. What does Bede report came of King Egfrid during Benedict's journey?
5. Who does Stephanus claim introduced Wilfrid to the Pope?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)