|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What decision does Bede report Benedict made while Benedict and Sigfrith were on their deathbeds?
(a) Benedict chose Hwaetbehrt as abbot over Jarrow.
(b) Benedict ordered the collection of books he brought from Rome back to where they came.
(c) Benedict chose Eosterwine as abbot over Wearmouth.
(d) Benedict named Ceolfrith abbot over both Wearmouth and Jarrow.
2. What does Bede claim Cuthbert did to convert water to wine as he stayed at a convent in Tyne?
(a) He performed a wedding and asked for God's provisions over the reception.
(b) He dipped the hem of his garment in a cask of water.
(c) He spent a night's prayer vigil in a nearby lake.
(d) He drank the water from a cup.
3. What example does the anonymous author claim that Ceolfrith took from his brother Cynefrith?
(a) Holding the monks under his authority to high moral standards.
(b) Establishing a work schedule that required all monks spend time copying Bibles.
(c) Leaving the care of his monastery to younger men to go on a pilgrimage to Rome in his later years.
(d) Requiring all duties to be done before meals were to be shared.
4. What official does Farmer report presided over the community of monks?
(a) The regional bishop.
(b) The Pope.
(c) The Cardinals.
(d) A local abbot.
5. What was the quote from the Psalms that Bede used to support God's hand in the event?
(a) "When you walk about they will guide you; When you sleep, they will watch over you."
(b) "I have directed you in the way of wisdom; I have led you in upright paths."
(c) "Out of the mouths of babes and sucklings Thou has perfected praise."
(d) "A wise son accepts his father's discipline, But a scoffer does not listen to rebuke."
Short Answer Questions
1. What sign does Stephanus claim was sent to prove that God intended Wilfred to be a saint?
2. Who was chosen by the monks to serve as abbot in Ceolfrith's absence, according to the anonymous author?
3. To whom did Bede write the prologue to his "Life of Cuthbert"?
4. After his fourth trip to Rome, what does Bede report that Benedict brought back to Britain?
5. At what age does the anonymous author of Ceolfrith's history claim he became a monk?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)