|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Cuthbert was traveling with a boy during a preaching tour in Chapter 12, how did Bede report that Cuthbert prophesied their food would be provided?
(a) By two otters.
(b) By a fawn.
(c) By a dog.
(d) By an eagle.
2. What miracle did Cuthbert perform when he brought the Holy Ghost to a village that could only provide tents for him and his retinue?
(a) With prayer he cured a boy that was dying.
(b) He fed the village a healthy stew made from nothing but a pot of water and three round stones.
(c) He healed a blind man who shared his bread with them.
(d) He received wood from birds and animals to provide for a fire.
3. Who does Stephanus claim influenced Ecgfrith to drive Wilfrid from his see?
(a) Bishop Colman.
(b) King Dagobert.
(c) Ecgfrith's queen, Iurminbrugh.
(d) Bishop Winfrid.
4. Who does Stephanus claim introduced Wilfrid to the Pope?
(a) Bishop Colman.
(b) Boniface the archdeacon.
(c) Bishop Baducing.
(d) Archbishop Dalfinus.
5. Which duke of Theodoric petitioned the king over the land Wilfrid where was preaching to have Wilfrid sent to him dead or alive, according to Stephanus?
Short Answer Questions
1. After the death of Benedict, how many years does the anonymous author credit Ceolfrith with presiding over both monasteries simultaneously?
2. To whom did Cuthbert prophesy his own death, according to Bede?
3. To what book does Bede refer for support of other angels who rode on horseback?
4. What came of a phantom fire that came upon a village while Bede reports that Cuthbert was teaching on the distractions of the devil?
5. What does Farmer claim draws readers across the ages to the lives profiled in "The Age of Bede"?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)