|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Stephanus report Wilfrid first settled after being chased from his see?
2. To what cause does Bede claim Benedict devoted himself after he traveled to Rome to visit the tombs of the Apostles?
(a) Making known the forms of church life he witnessed in Rome.
(b) To the translation and writing of scripture.
(c) To the interpretation and preaching of the Gospel.
(d) To training priestly aspirants to what is now known as the "Benedictine Order".
3. After he listened to the chastisement, what does Bede report to be Cuthbert's response?
(a) He began studying writing more seriously to produce works fit for public consumption.
(b) He stopped spending so much time adventuring and devoted himself more seriously to studying the Bible.
(c) He forsook foolish games immediately and showed himself to be more mature and earnest.
(d) He began working harder on his chants to serve the worship needs of his town.
4. What does Bede report came of King Egfrid during Benedict's journey?
(a) Egfrid was slain.
(b) Egfrid began distributing his wealth to heirs.
(c) Egfrid came under siege.
(d) Egfrid contracted leprosy.
5. What does Stephanus claim was the King's response to the request that Wilfrid be sent to the duke?
(a) The king ignored the request.
(b) He sent back a message that he had already executed Wilfrid to buy him time to escape.
(c) He tore up the scroll upon which the request was written in the audience of his court.
(d) He promptly captured Wilfrid and sent him back to the petitioner, but God spared Wilfrid the condemnation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was named to rule the monastery shortly before Ceolfrith joined it, according to the anonymous author?
2. Which Old Testament prophet does Bede first quote in the first paragraph of Chapter One?
3. What condition does Bede write affected Sigfrith during his service as abbot?
4. What did the anonymous author report occurred to Ceolfrith on the day he reached Langres on September 25?
5. On what date does the anonymous author report Ceolfrith boarded a ship to cross the sea to Gaul?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)