|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which document by Bede, according to Farmer, acts as a biography and a local history?
(a) "Lives of the Abbots."
(b) "The Life of Cuthbert."
(c) "The History of Abbot Ceolfrith."
(d) "The Life of Wilfrid."
2. Who does the anonymous author claim presided over the monastery before Ceolfrith joined it?
(a) Ceolfrith's brother, Cynefrith.
(b) Bishop Wilford.
(c) Abbot Botulf.
(d) Ceolfrith's cousin, Tunbert.
3. What did the anonymous author report occurred to Ceolfrith on the day he reached Langres on September 25?
(a) He was asked to lead worship at the abbey there.
(b) He was miraculously freed from bandits who had cornered him on his journey.
(c) He was recived by the Galic king.
(d) He died.
4. After the death of Benedict, how many years does the anonymous author credit Ceolfrith with presiding over both monasteries simultaneously?
5. What miracle does Stephanus report that Wilfrid performed during the construction of the church at Hexham?
(a) He prayed for the health of the workers and all of them kept their health throughout the project.
(b) He healed through prayer a workman who fell from working on the highest part of the walls in the church.
(c) He prayed for God's provision of favorable weather and the project did not lose a day due to foul weather.
(d) He prayed over a pile of stones used in the construction and the pile was not exhausted until the church was completed.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Cuthbert was traveling with a boy during a preaching tour in Chapter 12, how did Bede report that Cuthbert prophesied their food would be provided?
2. What illness does Bede report came to Benedict shortly after Sigfrith became abbot of Wearmouth?
3. What was the result of the prayers Cuthbert led while he and two brethren were stranded during a sea voyage without provisions?
4. What did some of the monks who buried Ceolfrith take to Rome on his behalf, according to the anonymous author?
5. To whose honor was the monastery that Ceolfrith helped to build dedicated, according to the anonymous author?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)