|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Bede report gave Cuthbert a cure for a tumor on his knee?
(a) An angel carrying a gold trumpet.
(b) The village doctor.
(c) An angel dressed in white riding a horse.
(d) Three strangers who were travelling through his town.
2. Which Old Testament prophet does Bede first quote in the first paragraph of Chapter One?
3. What does Bede report Cuthbert used to cure a sick servant to a bodyguard of King Ecgfrith?
(a) A poltice delivered to him by an angel on horseback.
(b) Water he blessed.
(c) A salve brought to him by two otters.
(d) Prayer and fasting.
4. What does Bede record to be Benedict's orders regarding the books he had brought back from his several trips to Rome?
(a) That copied and spread throughout the monasteries of England.
(b) That they be offered to the Bishop so he could consider the best use of collection.
(c) That they be returned to Rome and the collection from which they were borrowed.
(d) That they be kept as a single collection and not broken up piecemeal.
5. What does Bede report came of King Egfrid during Benedict's journey?
(a) Egfrid contracted leprosy.
(b) Egfrid was slain.
(c) Egfrid began distributing his wealth to heirs.
(d) Egfrid came under siege.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the first miracle that Bede reports that Cuthbert performed?
2. Who did Bede report was chosen to replace Ceolfrith?
3. Who did Bede report Benedict appointed as abbot over the foundation he started?
4. At what age does the anonymous author of Ceolfrith's history claim he became a monk?
5. After his debate with Bishop Colman won him acclaim, what does Stephanus report came of Wilfrid?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)