|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who kept Wilfrid until Stephanus claimed he could meet with suitable travelers as he began his journey to St. Peter's see?
(a) Biscop Baducing.
(b) Bishop Agilberht.
(c) Archbishop Dalfinus.
(d) Queen Eanfled's cousin, King Erconberht of Kent.
2. Over what issue did Wilfrid debate Bishop Colman according to Stephanus?
(a) The parallels between Yom Kippur and Christmas.
(b) The role of icons in affirming faith.
(c) The importance of miracles in identifying saints.
(d) The specific day upon which to celebrate Easter.
3. Which Old Testament prophet does Bede first quote in the first paragraph of Chapter One?
4. Whose death was Ceolfrith compared in the letter from Rome?
(a) St. John who died after he had delivered the Revelation.
(b) Enoch who did not die, but walked with God.
(c) Moses and Aaron who died before they could enter the Promised Land.
(d) Noah who died after he had delivered his family through the flood.
5. Who does Bede report gave Cuthbert a cure for a tumor on his knee?
(a) An angel carrying a gold trumpet.
(b) Three strangers who were travelling through his town.
(c) The village doctor.
(d) An angel dressed in white riding a horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What decision does Bede report Benedict made while Benedict and Sigfrith were on their deathbeds?
2. Where does Farmer claim that the earliest surviving manuscript of "Navigatio" was written?
3. Which Irish apostle, according to Farmer, became famous for the founding of the Bobbio and Saint-Gall monasteries.
4. What quote does the anonymous author of Ceolfrith's history use to advise readers of his work?
5. What were two things that Bede said he avoided in the prologue?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)