|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did Ceolfrith preside over the responsibilities appointed to him by Benedict?
(a) 16 years.
(b) 7 years.
(c) 28 years.
(d) 3 years.
2. Who gave Wilfrid the monastery at Ripon according to Stephanus?
(a) King Oswiu.
(b) King Ecgfrith.
(c) Bishop Winfrid.
3. What does Bede claim came of the person to whom Cuthbert prophesied his death?
(a) He was made abbot of lindisfarne.
(b) He passed the story of Cuthbert's death to Bede.
(c) Cuthbert blessed him and he lived many years after receiving the prophesy.
(d) He died at the same time as Cuthbert.
4. Who did Bede report Benedict appointed as abbot over the foundation he started?
5. Why did Benedict name Ceolfrith to be abbot over the two monasteries he helped to build, according to the anonymous author?
(a) Because Ceolfrith was faithful in helping to start other abbeys.
(b) Because Ceolfrith showed his grasp of Christian understanding in debates with other monks.
(c) Because Ceolfrith was the best candidate after the plague had caused the death of many monks.
(d) Because both Benedict and the abbot who preceded Ceolfrith, Sigfrith, were on their deathbeds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Benedict's council to those who visited him while he suffered his illness, according to Bede?
2. To what office did Stephanus claim Agilberht ordained Wilfrid?
3. What decision does Bede report Benedict made while Benedict and Sigfrith were on their deathbeds?
4. How many monks did the anonymous author report Ceolfrith left behind at his monasteries?
5. In what literary form does Farmer claim Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" is written?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)