|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what literary form does Farmer claim Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" is written?
(a) Iambic Pentameter.
2. Who does Stephanus report restored Wilfrid to his see?
(a) Pope Agatho and the Holy Synod.
(b) Archbishop Berhtrwald.
(d) King Ecgfrith.
3. Who was named to rule the monastery shortly before Ceolfrith joined it, according to the anonymous author?
(a) Ceolfrith's cousin, Tunbert.
(b) Abbot Botulf.
(c) Bishop Wilford.
(d) Ceolfrith's brother, Cynefrith.
4. To whose honor was the monastery that Ceolfrith helped to build dedicated, according to the anonymous author?
(a) St. Paul the Apostle.
(b) St. John the Apostel.
(c) St. Luke the Physician.
(d) St. Peter the Apostle.
5. Of what does Stephanus claim Wilfrid accused English bishops prior to his journey to Gaul?
(a) Being too strict with moral limits.
(b) Being corrupt with indulgences.
(c) Being too stiff in worship services.
(d) Being similar in ideology to Celts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Benedict's council to those who visited him while he suffered his illness, according to Bede?
2. Where does Stephanus claim peace was achieved between Wilfrid and his enemies?
3. Who confirmed the choice of Ceolfrith's replacement, according to Bede?
4. Why was Cuthbert inspired to rise from his sickbed in Chapter 8, according to Bede?
5. What effect did abbots in Ireland have on the influence of bishops, according to Farmer?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)