|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Stephanus report led a synod which was actually a trap to take the properties that were under Wilfrid's authority?
(a) Archbishop Berhtwald.
(b) Pope Agatho.
(c) Bishop Colman.
(d) Archdeacon Boniface.
2. What quote does the anonymous author of Ceolfrith's history use to advise readers of his work?
(a) "The work is difficult, my intelligence and command of rhetoric small; none the less, though, the result might come below expectation, the effort will at least pay my debt of obedience."
(b) "Remind yourselves that I have written nothing about the saint without first subjectng the facts to the most thorough scrutiny."
(c) "The texts presented in this volume are important sources to the history of the Christian Church."
(d) "Remember your leaders, those who spoke the word of God to you; consider the end of their way of life and imitate their faith."
3. Who gave Wilfrid the monastery at Ripon according to Stephanus?
(b) Bishop Winfrid.
(c) King Ecgfrith.
(d) King Oswiu.
4. Who was the wicked queen who Stephanus wrote persecuted the church and martyred nine bishops?
5. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) The government would raise taxes to support the construction of monasteries.
(b) Clergy would evangelize pagans who would give to support the construction of monasteries.
(c) When a family would convert to Christianity, it would remain together as a group and convert their homes into monasteries.
(d) Nobles would provide land and funding for construction of monasteries.
Short Answer Questions
1. What official does Farmer report presided over the community of monks?
2. On what date does the anonymous author report Ceolfrith boarded a ship to cross the sea to Gaul?
3. From whom did Bede claim Benedict bought the unique collection during his fifth trip to Rome?
4. What does Farmer claim draws readers across the ages to the lives profiled in "The Age of Bede"?
5. How many total years does the anonymous author report that Ceolfrith ruled separately over the monasteries of St. Peter and St. Paul?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)