|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Bede, Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) The government would raise taxes to support the construction of monasteries.
(b) When a family would convert to Christianity, it would remain together as a group and convert their homes into monasteries.
(c) Nobles would provide land and funding for construction of monasteries.
(d) Clergy would evangelize pagans who would give to support the construction of monasteries.
2. Which Old Testament prophet does Bede first quote in the first paragraph of Chapter One?
3. Who does Farmer report to be the earliest monk of the British Isles?
(a) Ceolfrith, a monk of Wearmouth.
(b) Brendan, an Irish monk.
(c) Benedict, a Roman bishop.
(d) Cuthbert, a hermit of Lindisfarne.
4. When Wilfrid's ship had run aground on the English shore and was surrounded by pagans, what event does Stephanus report occurred that preceded a battle between Wilfrid's party and the pagans?
(a) Wilfrid called down angels to ward off a curse from a pagan wizard.
(b) A legion of angels protected Wilfrid's companions from an attack led by a pagan wizard.
(c) Wilfrid blessed a stone that he used to heal a companion cursed by a pagan wizard.
(d) One of Wilfrid's companions killed the pagan's wizard with a stone blessed by the party from the ship.
5. What was the first miracle that Bede reports that Cuthbert performed?
(a) He healed a sick boy near death.
(b) He calmed a wind that had nearly blown rafts carrying monks to sea with his prayers.
(c) He healed himself of a lame leg.
(d) He brought a sheriff's wife back to life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What miracle does Stephanus report that Wilfrid performed during the construction of the church at Hexham?
2. How did Cuthbert respond to converts who were falling away from the faith, according to Bede?
3. Where did Stephanus report Wilfrid first settled after being chased from his see?
4. Who does Bede report provided the land for St. Peter's Monastery?
5. For what two countries does Farmer claim "The Age of Bede" to be an important source of early Christian Church history?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)