|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Bede, Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What foundation does Bede credit Benedict with beginning?
2. Who was the wicked queen who Stephanus wrote persecuted the church and martyred nine bishops?
3. Who does Bede claim first chastised Cuthbert for his idleness and his indulgences?
(a) A neighbor who caught him in a prank.
(b) His maternal grandfather.
(c) A solemn old man.
(d) A three-year-old child.
4. Of what does Stephanus claim Wilfrid accused English bishops prior to his journey to Gaul?
(a) Being corrupt with indulgences.
(b) Being too stiff in worship services.
(c) Being too strict with moral limits.
(d) Being similar in ideology to Celts.
5. What miracle does Stephanus report that Wilfrid performed during the construction of the church at Hexham?
(a) He prayed for the health of the workers and all of them kept their health throughout the project.
(b) He prayed for God's provision of favorable weather and the project did not lose a day due to foul weather.
(c) He prayed over a pile of stones used in the construction and the pile was not exhausted until the church was completed.
(d) He healed through prayer a workman who fell from working on the highest part of the walls in the church.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what biblical story does Stephanus compare the event that preceded the battle between Wilfrid's party and the pagans?
2. To whom did Bede write the prologue to his "Life of Cuthbert"?
3. What miracle did Cuthbert perform when he brought the Holy Ghost to a village that could only provide tents for him and his retinue?
4. What does Bede claim came of the person to whom Cuthbert prophesied his death?
5. How many Latin manuscripts of this document does Farmer claim still exists?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)