|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Bede, Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the reasons that Stephanus gave for Wilfrid deciding to bring a dead child back to life in the village of On Tiddanufri?
(a) Wilfrid knew that such a miracle would bring many pagans to Christ.
(b) Wilfrid had no doubt about the power of Christ and was impressed by the faith of the mother.
(c) Wilfrid used the miracle to frighten off pagans who were gathering to kill him.
(d) Wilfrid sought to use the miracle to affirm the power of Christ in the village that was back sliding.
2. After he listened to the chastisement, what does Bede report to be Cuthbert's response?
(a) He began studying writing more seriously to produce works fit for public consumption.
(b) He forsook foolish games immediately and showed himself to be more mature and earnest.
(c) He began working harder on his chants to serve the worship needs of his town.
(d) He stopped spending so much time adventuring and devoted himself more seriously to studying the Bible.
3. What miracle did Cuthbert perform when he brought the Holy Ghost to a village that could only provide tents for him and his retinue?
(a) With prayer he cured a boy that was dying.
(b) He received wood from birds and animals to provide for a fire.
(c) He fed the village a healthy stew made from nothing but a pot of water and three round stones.
(d) He healed a blind man who shared his bread with them.
4. What monastery construction on the north bank of Wear was funded by Benedict, according to Bede?
(b) St. Peter's Monastery.
5. As Cuthbert was traveling with a boy during a preaching tour in Chapter 12, how did Bede report that Cuthbert prophesied their food would be provided?
(a) By a dog.
(b) By a fawn.
(c) By an eagle.
(d) By two otters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the body of Cuthbert buried, according to Bede's record?
2. Who does Stephanus claim taught Wilfrid the rules of Easter while he was in this city?
3. Where did Stephanus report Wilfrid first settled after being chased from his see?
4. Who does Stephanus report led a synod which was actually a trap to take the properties that were under Wilfrid's authority?
5. What unique collection does Bede write that Benedict brought to England from his fifth trip to Rome?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)