|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Bede, Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what city did Stephanus report Wilfrid's traveling companion leave him after they started their journey to St. Peter's?
2. In what literary form does Farmer claim Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" is written?
(d) Iambic Pentameter.
3. What happened to Eosterwine during Benedict's fifth journey to Rome, according to Bede?
(a) The pope beckoned Eosterwine to Rome.
(b) Eosterwine starved during a siege of Wearmouth.
(c) Eostewine and a number of monks died from the plague.
(d) Eosterwine became abbot of Jarrow.
4. Who gave Wilfrid the monastery at Ripon according to Stephanus?
(a) King Oswiu.
(b) Bishop Winfrid.
(c) King Ecgfrith.
5. Which duke of Theodoric petitioned the king over the land Wilfrid where was preaching to have Wilfrid sent to him dead or alive, according to Stephanus?
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom did Stephanus address his record of the "Life of Wilfrid"?
2. How many years does Farmer claim had passed before the biography of Brendan had first appeared?
3. Why did Bede address his prologue to its named recipient?
4. What was the first miracle that Bede reports that Cuthbert performed?
5. Which Northumbrian cleric does Farmer record as being trained in Lindisfarne?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)