|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Bede, Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After he listened to the chastisement, what does Bede report to be Cuthbert's response?
(a) He forsook foolish games immediately and showed himself to be more mature and earnest.
(b) He began studying writing more seriously to produce works fit for public consumption.
(c) He began working harder on his chants to serve the worship needs of his town.
(d) He stopped spending so much time adventuring and devoted himself more seriously to studying the Bible.
2. How many years does Farmer claim had passed before the biography of Brendan had first appeared?
(a) About 200.
(b) About 20.
(c) About 120.
(d) About 210.
3. What effect did abbots in Ireland have on the influence of bishops, according to Farmer?
(a) They strengthened the bishops by collecting indulgences for them.
(b) The provided the channels for bishops to influence the population.
(c) They diminished the influence of bishops.
(d) They had no affect on the bishops.
4. To whom did Stephanus address his record of the "Life of Wilfrid"?
(a) To Bishop Agilberht who ordained him to the priesthood.
(b) To Boniface, the archdeacon who introduced him to the pope.
(c) To his father.
(d) Acca, his Bishop, and Tatberht, his Abbot.
5. What miracle does Stephanus report that Wilfrid performed during the construction of the church at Hexham?
(a) He prayed for the health of the workers and all of them kept their health throughout the project.
(b) He prayed for God's provision of favorable weather and the project did not lose a day due to foul weather.
(c) He healed through prayer a workman who fell from working on the highest part of the walls in the church.
(d) He prayed over a pile of stones used in the construction and the pile was not exhausted until the church was completed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Bede report gave Cuthbert a cure for a tumor on his knee?
2. Which document by Bede, according to Farmer, acts as a biography and a local history?
3. What does Farmer claim to be the document that the earliest monk wrote?
4. Why was Cuthbert inspired to rise from his sickbed in Chapter 8, according to Bede?
5. What unique collection does Bede write that Benedict brought to England from his fifth trip to Rome?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)