|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Bede, Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Stephanus claim influenced Ecgfrith to drive Wilfrid from his see?
(a) Bishop Colman.
(b) Bishop Winfrid.
(c) Ecgfrith's queen, Iurminbrugh.
(d) King Dagobert.
2. What official does Farmer report presided over the community of monks?
(a) The Cardinals.
(b) The Pope.
(c) The regional bishop.
(d) A local abbot.
3. What was Benedict's council to those who visited him while he suffered his illness, according to Bede?
(a) That they guard the monasteries at Wearmouth and Jarrow.
(b) That they study scripture regularly.
(c) That the ordinances he passed to them were not of his creation.
(d) That they devote themselves to fasting and prayer.
4. Who did Bede report was chosen to replace Ceolfrith?
5. What miracle did Cuthbert perform when he brought the Holy Ghost to a village that could only provide tents for him and his retinue?
(a) He healed a blind man who shared his bread with them.
(b) With prayer he cured a boy that was dying.
(c) He received wood from birds and animals to provide for a fire.
(d) He fed the village a healthy stew made from nothing but a pot of water and three round stones.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Bede write about as the abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow?
2. Who donated the land for Benedict to build a monastery in Northumbria, according to Bede?
3. What does Farmer identify as the basic theme of the "Navigatio"?
4. After his fourth trip to Rome, what does Bede report that Benedict brought back to Britain?
5. What came of a phantom fire that came upon a village while Bede reports that Cuthbert was teaching on the distractions of the devil?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)