|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Bede, Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From whom did Bede claim Benedict bought the unique collection during his fifth trip to Rome?
(a) King Egfrid.
(b) King Ecgfrith.
(c) From King Aldfrid.
(d) Pope Agatho.
2. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
(a) Monasticism and the primacy of the spiritual.
(b) Indulgences, monasticism, and chanting.
(c) The presbytery and the Holy Roman Empire.
(d) The Sacraments, baptism, and confession.
3. Who was finally found to travel to St. Peter's with Wilfrid, according to Stephanus?
(a) King Erconberht of Kent.
(b) Archbishop Dalfinus.
(c) Boniface the Archdeacon.
(d) Bishop Baducing.
4. What does Farmer claim draws readers across the ages to the lives profiled in "The Age of Bede"?
(a) The accurate history of various leaders in the region.
(b) The colorful detail with which the ancient times are reported.
(c) The mystical accounting of miracles.
(d) The ideals and the scale of values of "The Age of Bede's" great men.
5. To what biblical story does Stephanus compare the event that preceded the battle between Wilfrid's party and the pagans?
(a) The story of Gideon.
(b) The story of David and Goliath.
(c) The story of Caleb taking his mountain.
(d) The story of the Israelites taking the Holy land from the Philistines.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bede record to be Benedict's orders regarding the books he had brought back from his several trips to Rome?
2. What does Bede trace as Eosterwine's relationship to Benedict?
3. How many Latin manuscripts of this document does Farmer claim still exists?
4. Who does Stephanus report led a synod which was actually a trap to take the properties that were under Wilfrid's authority?
5. Where is the body of Cuthbert buried, according to Bede's record?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)