|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Bede, Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Farmer claim enabled Wilfred to travel to visit other churches through Europe?
(a) Bishop Colman.
(c) Enfleda, Queen of Northumbria.
2. In what literary form does Farmer claim Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" is written?
(a) Iambic Pentameter.
3. Who did Bede report Benedict appointed as abbot over the foundation he started?
4. How does Bede claim Christian converts profaned their faith in Chapter 9?
(a) With their works.
(b) With their sloth.
(c) With the coarse language.
(d) With their ill-gotten gains.
5. Who does Bede write about as the abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow?
(a) Benedict, Ceolfrith, Eosterwine, Sigfrith, and Hwaetberht.
(b) Benedict, Ceolfrith, Ahlfrid, and Ecgfrith.
(c) Benedict, Cuthbert, Wilfrid, and Brendan.
(d) Ceolfrith, Eosterwine, Cuthbert, and Colman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What text does Bede report that Boisil recommended to Cuthbert?
2. What decision does Bede report Benedict made while Benedict and Sigfrith were on their deathbeds?
3. What term does Farmer use to identify a community of monks?
4. To whom did Bede write the prologue to his "Life of Cuthbert"?
5. What unique collection does Bede write that Benedict brought to England from his fifth trip to Rome?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)