|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Bede, Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which duke of Theodoric petitioned the king over the land Wilfrid where was preaching to have Wilfrid sent to him dead or alive, according to Stephanus?
2. What does Farmer claim to be the document that the earliest monk wrote?
(a) "The Life of Cuthbert".
(b) "The Navigatio".
(c) "The Life of Wilfrid".
(d) "The Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow".
3. Whose record of Cuthbert's death did Bede use?
(a) Herefrith, a devout priest and abbot of Lindisfarne.
(b) Hwaetbehrt who succeeded him as abbot.
(c) Benedict who was a close friend of Cuthbert.
(d) Wilfrid who asked Bede to take a pilgrimage with him to Rome.
4. What was the first miracle that Bede reports that Cuthbert performed?
(a) He healed himself of a lame leg.
(b) He brought a sheriff's wife back to life.
(c) He healed a sick boy near death.
(d) He calmed a wind that had nearly blown rafts carrying monks to sea with his prayers.
5. After his debate with Bishop Colman won him acclaim, what does Stephanus report came of Wilfrid?
(a) Wilfrid was appointed abbot.
(b) Wilfrid became a Bishop.
(c) Wilfrid was elected to the episcopacy.
(d) Wilfrid was ordained as a priest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bede report Benedict brought back to Britain after his third trip to Rome?
2. How many Latin manuscripts of this document does Farmer claim still exists?
3. What were the reasons that Stephanus gave for Wilfrid deciding to bring a dead child back to life in the village of On Tiddanufri?
4. What miracle did Cuthbert perform when he brought the Holy Ghost to a village that could only provide tents for him and his retinue?
5. Which document by Bede, according to Farmer, acts as a biography and a local history?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)