|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Bede, Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Farmer report came of Cuthbert after he spent many years in a monastery?
(a) He became an usher in the Holy See.
(b) He became a priest.
(c) He became a hermit.
(d) He was appointed Bishop.
2. What miracle does Stephanus report that Wilfrid performed during the construction of the church at Hexham?
(a) He prayed for God's provision of favorable weather and the project did not lose a day due to foul weather.
(b) He prayed over a pile of stones used in the construction and the pile was not exhausted until the church was completed.
(c) He healed through prayer a workman who fell from working on the highest part of the walls in the church.
(d) He prayed for the health of the workers and all of them kept their health throughout the project.
3. What foundation does Bede credit Benedict with beginning?
4. What was the result of the prayers Cuthbert led while he and two brethren were stranded during a sea voyage without provisions?
(a) A whale came to deliver them to their destination.
(b) Angels mended their ship while the two brethren slept and Cuthbert kept a prayer vigil.
(c) They were provided with dolphin meat and calm seas.
(d) God ended the storm and provided a passing ship to carry them to their destination.
5. Who gave Wilfrid the monastery at Ripon according to Stephanus?
(a) King Ecgfrith.
(c) Bishop Winfrid.
(d) King Oswiu.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Bede write about as the abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow?
2. What sign does Stephanus claim that God used to indicate that Wilfrid would serve him in the future?
3. To what abbey does Bede report Benedict named Eosterwine?
4. What was the quote from the Psalms that Bede used to support God's hand in the event?
5. How old was Wilfrid when Stephanus reported he left home to seek the kingdom of Heaven?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)