|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Bede, Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Wilfrid when Stephanus reported he left home to seek the kingdom of Heaven?
2. Who does Stephanus claim introduced Wilfrid to the Pope?
(a) Bishop Baducing.
(b) Bishop Colman.
(c) Archbishop Dalfinus.
(d) Boniface the archdeacon.
3. Who did Bede report Benedict appointed as abbot over the foundation he started?
4. What happened to Eosterwine during Benedict's fifth journey to Rome, according to Bede?
(a) Eosterwine starved during a siege of Wearmouth.
(b) Eosterwine became abbot of Jarrow.
(c) The pope beckoned Eosterwine to Rome.
(d) Eostewine and a number of monks died from the plague.
5. What does Bede record to be Benedict's orders regarding the books he had brought back from his several trips to Rome?
(a) That they be offered to the Bishop so he could consider the best use of collection.
(b) That copied and spread throughout the monasteries of England.
(c) That they be kept as a single collection and not broken up piecemeal.
(d) That they be returned to Rome and the collection from which they were borrowed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Farmer report to be the earliest monk of the British Isles?
2. To what abbey does Bede report Benedict named Eosterwine?
3. According to Stephanus, how did the expansion of the Kingdom that Wilfrid advised expand his authority as Bishop?
4. Which document by Bede, according to Farmer, acts as a biography and a local history?
5. Who was finally found to travel to St. Peter's with Wilfrid, according to Stephanus?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)