|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Bede, Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Bede report gave Cuthbert a cure for a tumor on his knee?
(a) An angel dressed in white riding a horse.
(b) An angel carrying a gold trumpet.
(c) The village doctor.
(d) Three strangers who were travelling through his town.
2. What were two things that Bede said he avoided in the prologue?
(a) Doctrine and legalism.
(b) Judgementalism and piety.
(c) Ambiguity and hair-splitting.
(d) Criticism and pessimism.
3. Who granted Wilfrid to preach in his first destination after being chased from his see?
(a) King Aldgisi.
(b) King Perctarit.
(c) King Dagobert.
(d) King Ecgfrith.
4. What animal does Bede claim ministered to Cuthbert after he spent a night in prayer in the water off the sea shore?
(a) A dog.
(b) Two otters.
(c) A fawn.
(d) An eagle.
5. Who does Stephanus claim influenced Ecgfrith to drive Wilfrid from his see?
(a) King Dagobert.
(b) Bishop Colman.
(c) Ecgfrith's queen, Iurminbrugh.
(d) Bishop Winfrid.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what literary form does Farmer claim Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" is written?
2. Who does Stephanus claim taught Wilfrid the rules of Easter while he was in this city?
3. What was Wilfrid's destination when he left his home, according to Stephanus?
4. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
5. Who does Bede report provided the land for St. Peter's Monastery?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)