|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Bede, Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was finally found to travel to St. Peter's with Wilfrid, according to Stephanus?
(a) Bishop Baducing.
(b) Archbishop Dalfinus.
(c) King Erconberht of Kent.
(d) Boniface the Archdeacon.
2. What decision does Bede report Benedict made while Benedict and Sigfrith were on their deathbeds?
(a) Benedict chose Eosterwine as abbot over Wearmouth.
(b) Benedict ordered the collection of books he brought from Rome back to where they came.
(c) Benedict named Ceolfrith abbot over both Wearmouth and Jarrow.
(d) Benedict chose Hwaetbehrt as abbot over Jarrow.
3. Who was the king who Stephanus reported to follow Wilfrid's guidance to win victories over the Picts and Mercia?
(a) King Ecgfrith.
(b) King Alhfrith.
(c) King Oswiu.
(d) King Erconbehrt.
4. To whom did Stephanus address his record of the "Life of Wilfrid"?
(a) To Boniface, the archdeacon who introduced him to the pope.
(b) To his father.
(c) Acca, his Bishop, and Tatberht, his Abbot.
(d) To Bishop Agilberht who ordained him to the priesthood.
5. How long did Eosterwine serve as abbot over Wearmouth, according to Bede?
(a) 12 years until he became abbot over Jarrow.
(b) Four years until his death.
(c) 17 years until his death.
(d) Seven years until the pope beckoned him to Rome.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom did Bede write the prologue to his "Life of Cuthbert"?
2. Who does Stephanus claim influenced Ecgfrith to drive Wilfrid from his see?
3. How was Cuthbert's Friday fast broken on one occasion at the vesper's hour according to Bede?
4. What did Bede claim to be Cuthbert's preoccupation when he was still eight years old?
5. How long did Ceolfrith preside over the responsibilities appointed to him by Benedict?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)