|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Bede, Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Stephanus claim influenced Ecgfrith to drive Wilfrid from his see?
(a) Bishop Winfrid.
(b) King Dagobert.
(c) Ecgfrith's queen, Iurminbrugh.
(d) Bishop Colman.
2. Who does Bede claim first chastised Cuthbert for his idleness and his indulgences?
(a) His maternal grandfather.
(b) A neighbor who caught him in a prank.
(c) A three-year-old child.
(d) A solemn old man.
3. Where does Farmer claim that the earliest surviving manuscript of "Navigatio" was written?
(a) At the monastery at St. Maximin.
(b) At the monastery at Inishadroum.
(c) At the monastery at Melrose.
(d) At the monastery at Wearmouth.
4. Which document by Bede, according to Farmer, acts as a biography and a local history?
(a) "Lives of the Abbots."
(b) "The Life of Wilfrid."
(c) "The Life of Cuthbert."
(d) "The History of Abbot Ceolfrith."
5. What was Benedict's council to those who visited him while he suffered his illness, according to Bede?
(a) That they devote themselves to fasting and prayer.
(b) That the ordinances he passed to them were not of his creation.
(c) That they study scripture regularly.
(d) That they guard the monasteries at Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the king who Stephanus reported to follow Wilfrid's guidance to win victories over the Picts and Mercia?
2. Who did Bede report Benedict appointed as abbot over the foundation he started?
3. What effect did abbots in Ireland have on the influence of bishops, according to Farmer?
4. What decision does Bede report Benedict made while Benedict and Sigfrith were on their deathbeds?
5. After he listened to the chastisement, what does Bede report to be Cuthbert's response?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)