|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Bede, Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Eosterwine during Benedict's fifth journey to Rome, according to Bede?
(a) Eostewine and a number of monks died from the plague.
(b) Eosterwine became abbot of Jarrow.
(c) Eosterwine starved during a siege of Wearmouth.
(d) The pope beckoned Eosterwine to Rome.
2. What was the method that Bede writes Ceolfrith chose for a new abbot to be chosen to replace him?
(a) He devoted a season of prayer seeking divine guidance.
(b) He devoted a series of fasts that lasted for 40 days.
(c) The brethren of the monasteries were required to choose one of their members.
(d) He conferred with representatives of the pope.
3. Which of the works in "The Age of Bede" does Farmer claim was popular during the Middle Ages?
(a) "The Life of Cuthbert."
(b) " The Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow."
(c) "Voyage of St. Brendan."
(d) "The Life of Wilfrid."
4. According to Stephanus, how did the expansion of the Kingdom that Wilfrid advised expand his authority as Bishop?
(a) Wilfrid became wealthier from the expansion of the kingdom and used his wealth to buy support from Rome.
(b) Wilfrid was recognized by Rome as a powerful Bishop of England.
(c) Wilfrid became bishop over the Saxons, British, Scots, and Picts.
(d) Wilfrid used the expansion of the kingdom to claim more lands for the church.
5. What was the first miracle that Bede reports that Cuthbert performed?
(a) He healed a sick boy near death.
(b) He healed himself of a lame leg.
(c) He calmed a wind that had nearly blown rafts carrying monks to sea with his prayers.
(d) He brought a sheriff's wife back to life.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Ceolfrith preside over the responsibilities appointed to him by Benedict?
2. What does Farmer claim to be the name of the author of the "Navigatio"?
3. Where does Stephanus claim peace was achieved between Wilfrid and his enemies?
4. Who kept Wilfrid until Stephanus claimed he could meet with suitable travelers as he began his journey to St. Peter's see?
5. Which Northumbrian cleric does Farmer record as being trained in Lindisfarne?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)