|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Bede, Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what office did Stephanus claim Agilberht ordained Wilfrid?
2. According to Stephanus, how did the expansion of the Kingdom that Wilfrid advised expand his authority as Bishop?
(a) Wilfrid became wealthier from the expansion of the kingdom and used his wealth to buy support from Rome.
(b) Wilfrid used the expansion of the kingdom to claim more lands for the church.
(c) Wilfrid was recognized by Rome as a powerful Bishop of England.
(d) Wilfrid became bishop over the Saxons, British, Scots, and Picts.
3. What official does Farmer report presided over the community of monks?
(a) The Pope.
(b) The Cardinals.
(c) A local abbot.
(d) The regional bishop.
4. For what two countries does Farmer claim "The Age of Bede" to be an important source of early Christian Church history?
(a) England and Ireland.
(b) Rome and Ireland.
(c) Ireland and The Netherlands.
(d) England and France.
5. What does Bede trace as Eosterwine's relationship to Benedict?
(a) They were in-laws.
(b) They were brothers.
(c) They were theological rivals.
(d) They were cousins.
Short Answer Questions
1. What monastery construction on the north bank of Wear was funded by Benedict, according to Bede?
2. What effect did abbots in Ireland have on the influence of bishops, according to Farmer?
3. How was Cuthbert's Friday fast broken on one occasion at the vesper's hour according to Bede?
4. The saints who are detailed in "The Age of Bede" lived in what two centuries according to Farmer?
5. What does Farmer report came of Cuthbert after he spent many years in a monastery?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)