|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Bede, Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Eosterwine during Benedict's fifth journey to Rome, according to Bede?
(a) Eosterwine became abbot of Jarrow.
(b) Eostewine and a number of monks died from the plague.
(c) The pope beckoned Eosterwine to Rome.
(d) Eosterwine starved during a siege of Wearmouth.
2. Who does Bede report gave Cuthbert a cure for a tumor on his knee?
(a) An angel carrying a gold trumpet.
(b) Three strangers who were travelling through his town.
(c) The village doctor.
(d) An angel dressed in white riding a horse.
3. What illness does Bede report came to Benedict shortly after Sigfrith became abbot of Wearmouth?
(b) He was taken by consumption.
(c) He suffered creeping paralysis.
(d) The plague.
4. Why was Cuthbert inspired to rise from his sickbed in Chapter 8, according to Bede?
(a) Because he knew that God had certainly heard the prayers of the monks praying for him.
(b) Because he did not want to neglect the responsibility God had put before him.
(c) Because he desired to be an inspiration to those in need.
(d) Because he knew that God would provide him strength to carry out ministry.
5. How many Latin manuscripts of this document does Farmer claim still exists?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Bede report reviewed and revised his work?
2. How did Cuthbert respond to converts who were falling away from the faith, according to Bede?
3. In what book from the Bible does Bede claim Benedict took comfort during nights he could not sleep during his illness?
4. According to Stephanus, how did the expansion of the Kingdom that Wilfrid advised expand his authority as Bishop?
5. What does Bede claim came of the person to whom Cuthbert prophesied his death?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)