|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Bede, Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the works in "The Age of Bede" does Farmer claim was popular during the Middle Ages?
(a) "Voyage of St. Brendan."
(b) " The Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow."
(c) "The Life of Cuthbert."
(d) "The Life of Wilfrid."
2. In what book from the Bible does Bede claim Benedict took comfort during nights he could not sleep during his illness?
3. What miracle did Cuthbert perform when he brought the Holy Ghost to a village that could only provide tents for him and his retinue?
(a) He received wood from birds and animals to provide for a fire.
(b) He fed the village a healthy stew made from nothing but a pot of water and three round stones.
(c) He healed a blind man who shared his bread with them.
(d) With prayer he cured a boy that was dying.
4. Farmer asserts that the "Navigatio" is a fascinating mixture of what?
(a) Fantasy, doctrine, and mystery.
(b) History, fact, and economic theory.
(c) Intrigue, sound doctrine, and drama.
(d) Fact, fantasy, and literary borrowing.
5. To what cause does Bede claim Benedict devoted himself after he traveled to Rome to visit the tombs of the Apostles?
(a) To training priestly aspirants to what is now known as the "Benedictine Order".
(b) Making known the forms of church life he witnessed in Rome.
(c) To the translation and writing of scripture.
(d) To the interpretation and preaching of the Gospel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bede trace as Eosterwine's relationship to Benedict?
2. Who does Bede write about as the abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow?
3. What skill was brought from France to Britain as a result of the construction of the monastery in Northumbria, according to Bede?
4. Whose record of Cuthbert's death did Bede use?
5. What were two things that Bede said he avoided in the prologue?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)