|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Bede, Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bede claim came of the person to whom Cuthbert prophesied his death?
(a) He passed the story of Cuthbert's death to Bede.
(b) He died at the same time as Cuthbert.
(c) He was made abbot of lindisfarne.
(d) Cuthbert blessed him and he lived many years after receiving the prophesy.
2. According to Stephanus, how did the expansion of the Kingdom that Wilfrid advised expand his authority as Bishop?
(a) Wilfrid became wealthier from the expansion of the kingdom and used his wealth to buy support from Rome.
(b) Wilfrid became bishop over the Saxons, British, Scots, and Picts.
(c) Wilfrid was recognized by Rome as a powerful Bishop of England.
(d) Wilfrid used the expansion of the kingdom to claim more lands for the church.
3. To what cause does Bede claim Benedict devoted himself after he traveled to Rome to visit the tombs of the Apostles?
(a) To training priestly aspirants to what is now known as the "Benedictine Order".
(b) To the interpretation and preaching of the Gospel.
(c) Making known the forms of church life he witnessed in Rome.
(d) To the translation and writing of scripture.
4. What was Benedict's council to those who visited him while he suffered his illness, according to Bede?
(a) That the ordinances he passed to them were not of his creation.
(b) That they guard the monasteries at Wearmouth and Jarrow.
(c) That they study scripture regularly.
(d) That they devote themselves to fasting and prayer.
5. What were Brendan's most important monasteries, according to Farmer?
(a) Annadown, Christendom, Confert, and Melrose.
(b) Wearmouth, Jarrow, Lindisfarne, and Melrose.
(c) Clonfert, Annadown, Inishadroum, and Ardfert.
(d) Northumbria, Whitby, Inishadroum, and Jarrow.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bede record to be Benedict's orders regarding the books he had brought back from his several trips to Rome?
2. Which Northumbrian cleric does Farmer record as being trained in Lindisfarne?
3. To whom did Bede write the prologue to his "Life of Cuthbert"?
4. How was Cuthbert's Friday fast broken on one occasion at the vesper's hour according to Bede?
5. Which duke of Theodoric petitioned the king over the land Wilfrid where was preaching to have Wilfrid sent to him dead or alive, according to Stephanus?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)