|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Bede, Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What miracle did Cuthbert perform when he brought the Holy Ghost to a village that could only provide tents for him and his retinue?
(a) He healed a blind man who shared his bread with them.
(b) With prayer he cured a boy that was dying.
(c) He received wood from birds and animals to provide for a fire.
(d) He fed the village a healthy stew made from nothing but a pot of water and three round stones.
2. What monastery construction on the north bank of Wear was funded by Benedict, according to Bede?
(a) St. Peter's Monastery.
3. What skill was brought from France to Britain as a result of the construction of the monastery in Northumbria, according to Bede?
(c) Block and tackle for the movement of large stones.
(d) Stone cutting.
4. What came of a phantom fire that came upon a village while Bede reports that Cuthbert was teaching on the distractions of the devil?
(a) Strong winds blew the fires away as soon as Cuthbert prayed for deliverance.
(b) An angel extinguished the flames with a mighty blow of his trumpet.
(c) They disappeared into thin air as Cuthbert prayed.
(d) God brought a torrent of rain that extinguished the phantom.
5. The saints who are detailed in "The Age of Bede" lived in what two centuries according to Farmer?
(a) The fifth and sixth A.D.
(b) The sixth and seventh B.C.
(c) The fourth and fifth B.C.
(d) The sixth and seventh A.D.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Stephanus report Wilfrid first settled after being chased from his see?
2. What does Farmer identify as the basic theme of the "Navigatio"?
3. How were Benedict and Sigfrith able to meet with each other shortly before they died from their illnesses, according to Bede?
4. Which duke of Theodoric petitioned the king over the land Wilfrid where was preaching to have Wilfrid sent to him dead or alive, according to Stephanus?
5. What was Wilfrid's destination when he left his home, according to Stephanus?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)