|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Bede, Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Cuthbert respond to converts who were falling away from the faith, according to Bede?
(a) He chastised them with harsh sermons.
(b) He ministered to them directly by showing them a life of Christian integrity.
(c) He traveled to villages to preach the way of truth.
(d) He secluded himself and prayed fervently for their integrity.
2. What does Bede report Cuthbert used to cure a sick servant to a bodyguard of King Ecgfrith?
(a) A poltice delivered to him by an angel on horseback.
(b) Water he blessed.
(c) Prayer and fasting.
(d) A salve brought to him by two otters.
3. What was the method that Bede writes Ceolfrith chose for a new abbot to be chosen to replace him?
(a) The brethren of the monasteries were required to choose one of their members.
(b) He devoted a season of prayer seeking divine guidance.
(c) He conferred with representatives of the pope.
(d) He devoted a series of fasts that lasted for 40 days.
4. What did Bede report Benedict brought back to Britain after his third trip to Rome?
(a) A cantor named John who introduced the order of chanting and singing the Psalms to Britain.
(b) A large number of books on all branches of sacred knowledge.
(c) Scholars who were trained in the interpretation of Scripture.
(d) Icons from the tombs of saints to aid in the performance of miracles.
5. What does Farmer claim to be the name of the author of the "Navigatio"?
(d) Eddius Stephanus.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Cuthbert inspired to rise from his sickbed in Chapter 8, according to Bede?
2. Which of the works in "The Age of Bede" does Farmer claim was popular during the Middle Ages?
3. What miracle did Cuthbert perform when he brought the Holy Ghost to a village that could only provide tents for him and his retinue?
4. What term does Farmer use to identify a community of monks?
5. Whose record of Cuthbert's death did Bede use?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)