|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Bede, Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many texts does D.H. Farmer report in the Introduction comprise "The Age of Bede"?
2. What institution does Farmer suggest was responsible for the growth of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) The Clergy.
(b) The family.
(c) The government.
(d) The Nobility.
3. Whose record of Cuthbert's death did Bede use?
(a) Wilfrid who asked Bede to take a pilgrimage with him to Rome.
(b) Benedict who was a close friend of Cuthbert.
(c) Hwaetbehrt who succeeded him as abbot.
(d) Herefrith, a devout priest and abbot of Lindisfarne.
4. What were Brendan's most important monasteries, according to Farmer?
(a) Clonfert, Annadown, Inishadroum, and Ardfert.
(b) Northumbria, Whitby, Inishadroum, and Jarrow.
(c) Annadown, Christendom, Confert, and Melrose.
(d) Wearmouth, Jarrow, Lindisfarne, and Melrose.
5. What was the method that Bede writes Ceolfrith chose for a new abbot to be chosen to replace him?
(a) He conferred with representatives of the pope.
(b) He devoted a season of prayer seeking divine guidance.
(c) The brethren of the monasteries were required to choose one of their members.
(d) He devoted a series of fasts that lasted for 40 days.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Cuthbert respond to converts who were falling away from the faith, according to Bede?
2. What does Bede record to be Benedict's orders regarding the books he had brought back from his several trips to Rome?
3. To whom did Cuthbert prophesy his own death, according to Bede?
4. Over what issue did Wilfrid debate Bishop Colman according to Stephanus?
5. What was the quote from the Psalms that Bede used to support God's hand in the event?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)