|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Bede, Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what two countries does Farmer claim "The Age of Bede" to be an important source of early Christian Church history?
(a) England and France.
(b) Rome and Ireland.
(c) England and Ireland.
(d) Ireland and The Netherlands.
2. What was the result of the prayers Cuthbert led while he and two brethren were stranded during a sea voyage without provisions?
(a) God ended the storm and provided a passing ship to carry them to their destination.
(b) A whale came to deliver them to their destination.
(c) They were provided with dolphin meat and calm seas.
(d) Angels mended their ship while the two brethren slept and Cuthbert kept a prayer vigil.
3. Whose record of Cuthbert's death did Bede use?
(a) Wilfrid who asked Bede to take a pilgrimage with him to Rome.
(b) Benedict who was a close friend of Cuthbert.
(c) Hwaetbehrt who succeeded him as abbot.
(d) Herefrith, a devout priest and abbot of Lindisfarne.
4. Of what does Stephanus claim Wilfrid accused English bishops prior to his journey to Gaul?
(a) Being too stiff in worship services.
(b) Being similar in ideology to Celts.
(c) Being corrupt with indulgences.
(d) Being too strict with moral limits.
5. To what book does Bede refer for support of other angels who rode on horseback?
(a) The Psalms.
(b) The history of the Maccabees.
(d) The Navigato.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
2. What came of a phantom fire that came upon a village while Bede reports that Cuthbert was teaching on the distractions of the devil?
3. Who does Farmer credit with writing the earliest "Life of Cuthbert"?
4. From whom did Bede claim Benedict bought the unique collection during his fifth trip to Rome?
5. What monastery construction on the north bank of Wear was funded by Benedict, according to Bede?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)