|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose death was Ceolfrith compared in the letter from Rome?
(a) Noah who died after he had delivered his family through the flood.
(b) St. John who died after he had delivered the Revelation.
(c) Enoch who did not die, but walked with God.
(d) Moses and Aaron who died before they could enter the Promised Land.
2. What did some of the monks who buried Ceolfrith take to Rome on his behalf, according to the anonymous author?
(a) Icons of Ceolfrith to be kept with other holy icons.
(b) A letter to the pope requesting more books of learning for the church.
(c) A painting of Ceolfrith made just prior to his death.
(d) A Bible translated from Hebrew and Greek originals according to the interpretation of Priest Jerome.
3. On what date does the anonymous author report Ceolfrith boarded a ship to cross the sea to Gaul?
(a) June 4.
(b) August 12.
(c) July 14.
(d) July 4.
4. To whom did Cuthbert prophesy his own death, according to Bede?
(b) Benedict Biscop.
(c) Hereberht, the hermit.
(d) The residents on the island Lindisfarne.
5. What Psalm did the monks from St. Peter's sing to Ceolfrith as he left on his pilgrimage, according to the anonymous author?
(a) Psalm 91, "He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty."
(b) Psalm 20, "May the Lord answer you in the day of trouble! May the name of the God of Jacob set you securely on high!"
(c) Psalm 125, "As the Mountains surround Jerusalem, So the Lord surrounds His people."
(d) Psalm 66, "May God have mercy on us and bless us, lighten his face and have mercy on us."
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bede claim to be Cuthbert's preoccupation when he was still eight years old?
2. What sign does Stephanus claim was sent to prove that God intended Wilfred to be a saint?
3. Who was named to rule the monastery shortly before Ceolfrith joined it, according to the anonymous author?
4. Who did Bede report reviewed and revised his work?
5. Who did the anonymous author claim chose Ceolfrith to help him build a monastery?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)