|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what city did Stephanus report Wilfrid's traveling companion leave him after they started their journey to St. Peter's?
2. Why was Cuthbert inspired to rise from his sickbed in Chapter 8, according to Bede?
(a) Because he did not want to neglect the responsibility God had put before him.
(b) Because he knew that God would provide him strength to carry out ministry.
(c) Because he desired to be an inspiration to those in need.
(d) Because he knew that God had certainly heard the prayers of the monks praying for him.
3. Why did Benedict name Ceolfrith to be abbot over the two monasteries he helped to build, according to the anonymous author?
(a) Because Ceolfrith was the best candidate after the plague had caused the death of many monks.
(b) Because Ceolfrith showed his grasp of Christian understanding in debates with other monks.
(c) Because Ceolfrith was faithful in helping to start other abbeys.
(d) Because both Benedict and the abbot who preceded Ceolfrith, Sigfrith, were on their deathbeds.
4. What does Bede report Cuthbert used to cure a sick servant to a bodyguard of King Ecgfrith?
(a) A salve brought to him by two otters.
(b) A poltice delivered to him by an angel on horseback.
(c) Water he blessed.
(d) Prayer and fasting.
5. Who does Stephanus report led a synod which was actually a trap to take the properties that were under Wilfrid's authority?
(a) Bishop Colman.
(b) Pope Agatho.
(c) Archbishop Berhtwald.
(d) Archdeacon Boniface.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does Stephanus claim Wilfrid accused English bishops prior to his journey to Gaul?
2. Who was named to rule the monastery shortly before Ceolfrith joined it, according to the anonymous author?
3. What was the quote from the Psalms that Bede used to support God's hand in the event?
4. What animal does Bede claim ministered to Cuthbert after he spent a night in prayer in the water off the sea shore?
5. Which duke of Theodoric petitioned the king over the land Wilfrid where was preaching to have Wilfrid sent to him dead or alive, according to Stephanus?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)