|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bede claim Christian converts profaned their faith in Chapter 9?
(a) With their ill-gotten gains.
(b) With their sloth.
(c) With the coarse language.
(d) With their works.
2. On what date does the anonymous author report Ceolfrith boarded a ship to cross the sea to Gaul?
(a) July 4.
(b) August 12.
(c) July 14.
(d) June 4.
3. What were the reasons that Stephanus gave for Wilfrid deciding to bring a dead child back to life in the village of On Tiddanufri?
(a) Wilfrid knew that such a miracle would bring many pagans to Christ.
(b) Wilfrid used the miracle to frighten off pagans who were gathering to kill him.
(c) Wilfrid sought to use the miracle to affirm the power of Christ in the village that was back sliding.
(d) Wilfrid had no doubt about the power of Christ and was impressed by the faith of the mother.
4. When Wilfrid's ship had run aground on the English shore and was surrounded by pagans, what event does Stephanus report occurred that preceded a battle between Wilfrid's party and the pagans?
(a) A legion of angels protected Wilfrid's companions from an attack led by a pagan wizard.
(b) One of Wilfrid's companions killed the pagan's wizard with a stone blessed by the party from the ship.
(c) Wilfrid blessed a stone that he used to heal a companion cursed by a pagan wizard.
(d) Wilfrid called down angels to ward off a curse from a pagan wizard.
5. After the death of Benedict, how many years does the anonymous author credit Ceolfrith with presiding over both monasteries simultaneously?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who kept Wilfrid until Stephanus claimed he could meet with suitable travelers as he began his journey to St. Peter's see?
2. Where was the monastery that the anonymous author report Ceolfrith joined?
3. Which Old Testament prophet does Bede first quote in the first paragraph of Chapter One?
4. To whom did Cuthbert prophesy his own death, according to Bede?
5. Who was the king who Stephanus reported to follow Wilfrid's guidance to win victories over the Picts and Mercia?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)