|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the anonymous author infer to be Ceolfrith's method of avoiding the plague that took the lives of many monks?
(a) He was delayed in Rome finding supplies for the new monastery.
(b) He was fastidious in keeping his residence clean and observed Jewish cleaning laws.
(c) He had secluded himself as a hermit before the plague hit his region.
(d) He had secluded himself for a season of prayer.
2. Who gave Wilfrid the monastery at Ripon according to Stephanus?
(a) King Oswiu.
(b) King Ecgfrith.
(d) Bishop Winfrid.
3. What practice did Ceolfrith pass on to the monks who joined him in building the new monastery?
(a) Copying Bibles, interpreting scripture, and singing the Psalms.
(b) Copying Bibles and fasting on Fridays.
(c) Interpreting scripture and rheotoric.
(d) Singing the Psalms, reading in church, and singing antiphons.
4. Who returned a letter of thanks for the gift the monks delivered to Rome according to the anonymous author?
(a) Archdeacon Boniface.
(b) Pope Gregory.
(c) Archbishop Berhtwald.
(d) Pope Agatho.
5. What did some of the monks who buried Ceolfrith take to Rome on his behalf, according to the anonymous author?
(a) A painting of Ceolfrith made just prior to his death.
(b) Icons of Ceolfrith to be kept with other holy icons.
(c) A letter to the pope requesting more books of learning for the church.
(d) A Bible translated from Hebrew and Greek originals according to the interpretation of Priest Jerome.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Stephanus claim taught Wilfrid the rules of Easter while he was in this city?
2. Who was chosen by the monks to serve as abbot in Ceolfrith's absence, according to the anonymous author?
3. How does Bede claim Christian converts profaned their faith in Chapter 9?
4. To what office did Stephanus claim Agilberht ordained Wilfrid?
5. What were the reasons that Stephanus gave for Wilfrid deciding to bring a dead child back to life in the village of On Tiddanufri?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)