|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Benedict name Ceolfrith to be abbot over the two monasteries he helped to build, according to the anonymous author?
(a) Because Ceolfrith was the best candidate after the plague had caused the death of many monks.
(b) Because Ceolfrith was faithful in helping to start other abbeys.
(c) Because both Benedict and the abbot who preceded Ceolfrith, Sigfrith, were on their deathbeds.
(d) Because Ceolfrith showed his grasp of Christian understanding in debates with other monks.
2. Who was named to rule the monastery shortly before Ceolfrith joined it, according to the anonymous author?
(a) Abbot Botulf.
(b) Ceolfrith's cousin, Tunbert.
(c) Bishop Wilford.
(d) Ceolfrith's brother, Cynefrith.
3. Who does the anonymous author credit with providing master builders for the monastery that Ceolfrith helped to build?
(a) Bishop Wilford.
(b) Abbot Botulf.
(d) Abbot Torthelm.
4. What does Bede report Cuthbert used to cure a sick servant to a bodyguard of King Ecgfrith?
(a) Prayer and fasting.
(b) A salve brought to him by two otters.
(c) Water he blessed.
(d) A poltice delivered to him by an angel on horseback.
5. What was Wilfrid's destination when he left his home, according to Stephanus?
(a) The home of Biscop Baducing.
(b) King Oswiu's queen, Eanfled, to whom he was recommended by noblemen he served in his father's house.
(c) Archbishop Dalfinus who hoped to adopt him as a son.
(d) The home of King Erconberht of Kent.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Stephanus report restored Wilfrid to his see?
2. What sign does Stephanus claim was sent to prove that God intended Wilfred to be a saint?
3. Which Old Testament prophet does Bede first quote in the first paragraph of Chapter One?
4. In what city did Stephanus report Wilfrid's traveling companion leave him after they started their journey to St. Peter's?
5. Who does Stephanus report led a synod which was actually a trap to take the properties that were under Wilfrid's authority?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)