|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what city did Stephanus report Wilfrid's traveling companion leave him after they started their journey to St. Peter's?
2. Who does the anonymous author credit with providing master builders for the monastery that Ceolfrith helped to build?
(a) Bishop Wilford.
(b) Abbot Torthelm.
(d) Abbot Botulf.
3. How did Cuthbert respond to converts who were falling away from the faith, according to Bede?
(a) He ministered to them directly by showing them a life of Christian integrity.
(b) He traveled to villages to preach the way of truth.
(c) He secluded himself and prayed fervently for their integrity.
(d) He chastised them with harsh sermons.
4. Who granted Wilfrid to preach in his first destination after being chased from his see?
(a) King Aldgisi.
(b) King Ecgfrith.
(c) King Dagobert.
(d) King Perctarit.
5. What animal does Bede claim ministered to Cuthbert after he spent a night in prayer in the water off the sea shore?
(a) A fawn.
(b) An eagle.
(c) A dog.
(d) Two otters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Old Testament prophet does Bede first quote in the first paragraph of Chapter One?
2. What were the reasons that Stephanus gave for Wilfrid deciding to bring a dead child back to life in the village of On Tiddanufri?
3. What does Bede report Cuthbert used to cure a sick servant to a bodyguard of King Ecgfrith?
4. What did Bede claim to be Cuthbert's preoccupation when he was still eight years old?
5. On what date does the anonymous author report Ceolfrith boarded a ship to cross the sea to Gaul?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)