|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Cuthbert was traveling with a boy during a preaching tour in Chapter 12, how did Bede report that Cuthbert prophesied their food would be provided?
(a) By a fawn.
(b) By a dog.
(c) By two otters.
(d) By an eagle.
2. Where does the anonymous author report Ceolfrith was buried?
(a) In a secluded wood as he favored his time spent as a hermit.
(b) In the church of the holy martyred brothers Speusippus, Eleusippus, and Meleusippus.
(c) In Wearmouth next to the tomb of Benedict.
(d) In the new abbey at Jarrow.
3. Who does Stephanus claim taught Wilfrid the rules of Easter while he was in this city?
(a) Archbishop Dalfinus.
(b) Bishop Baducing.
(c) Bishop Colman.
(d) Archbishop Dalfinus.
4. Who returned a letter of thanks for the gift the monks delivered to Rome according to the anonymous author?
(a) Archbishop Berhtwald.
(b) Pope Gregory.
(c) Archdeacon Boniface.
(d) Pope Agatho.
5. What miracle does Stephanus report that Wilfrid performed during the construction of the church at Hexham?
(a) He prayed for the health of the workers and all of them kept their health throughout the project.
(b) He prayed over a pile of stones used in the construction and the pile was not exhausted until the church was completed.
(c) He healed through prayer a workman who fell from working on the highest part of the walls in the church.
(d) He prayed for God's provision of favorable weather and the project did not lose a day due to foul weather.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the anonymous author report occurred to Ceolfrith on the day he reached Langres on September 25?
2. How does Bede claim Cuthbert kept birds from eating the barley crop he grew as he lived in isolation as a monk?
3. Why does the anonymous author claim that King Egfrith donated the resources for building another church and monastery?
4. What were two things that Bede said he avoided in the prologue?
5. What Psalm did the monks from St. Peter's sing to Ceolfrith as he left on his pilgrimage, according to the anonymous author?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)