|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Cuthbert inspired to rise from his sickbed in Chapter 8, according to Bede?
(a) Because he did not want to neglect the responsibility God had put before him.
(b) Because he knew that God would provide him strength to carry out ministry.
(c) Because he knew that God had certainly heard the prayers of the monks praying for him.
(d) Because he desired to be an inspiration to those in need.
2. What practice did Ceolfrith pass on to the monks who joined him in building the new monastery?
(a) Copying Bibles and fasting on Fridays.
(b) Copying Bibles, interpreting scripture, and singing the Psalms.
(c) Interpreting scripture and rheotoric.
(d) Singing the Psalms, reading in church, and singing antiphons.
3. Who does the anonymous author credit with providing master builders for the monastery that Ceolfrith helped to build?
(a) Abbot Botulf.
(b) Bishop Wilford.
(d) Abbot Torthelm.
4. What was the result of the prayers Cuthbert led while he and two brethren were stranded during a sea voyage without provisions?
(a) Angels mended their ship while the two brethren slept and Cuthbert kept a prayer vigil.
(b) They were provided with dolphin meat and calm seas.
(c) God ended the storm and provided a passing ship to carry them to their destination.
(d) A whale came to deliver them to their destination.
5. Who did Bede report reviewed and revised his work?
(a) The Priest Herefrith.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whose honor was the monastery that Ceolfrith helped to build dedicated, according to the anonymous author?
2. How did the anonymous author claim that Ceolfrith came to study for the priesthood?
3. What animal does Bede claim ministered to Cuthbert after he spent a night in prayer in the water off the sea shore?
4. Which duke of Theodoric petitioned the king over the land Wilfrid where was preaching to have Wilfrid sent to him dead or alive, according to Stephanus?
5. How old was Wilfrid when Stephanus reported he left home to seek the kingdom of Heaven?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)