|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was chosen by the monks to serve as abbot in Ceolfrith's absence, according to the anonymous author?
(a) Abbot Botulf.
2. At what age does the anonymous author of Ceolfrith's history claim he became a monk?
3. Who was the wicked queen who Stephanus wrote persecuted the church and martyred nine bishops?
4. Who does Stephanus report led a synod which was actually a trap to take the properties that were under Wilfrid's authority?
(a) Bishop Colman.
(b) Archdeacon Boniface.
(c) Pope Agatho.
(d) Archbishop Berhtwald.
5. What quote does the anonymous author of Ceolfrith's history use to advise readers of his work?
(a) "Remember your leaders, those who spoke the word of God to you; consider the end of their way of life and imitate their faith."
(b) "The work is difficult, my intelligence and command of rhetoric small; none the less, though, the result might come below expectation, the effort will at least pay my debt of obedience."
(c) "The texts presented in this volume are important sources to the history of the Christian Church."
(d) "Remind yourselves that I have written nothing about the saint without first subjectng the facts to the most thorough scrutiny."
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal does Bede claim ministered to Cuthbert after he spent a night in prayer in the water off the sea shore?
2. What did some of the monks who buried Ceolfrith take to Rome on his behalf, according to the anonymous author?
3. Which Old Testament prophet does Bede first quote in the first paragraph of Chapter One?
4. What were two things that Bede said he avoided in the prologue?
5. What was the result of the prayers Cuthbert led while he and two brethren were stranded during a sea voyage without provisions?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)