|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the first miracle that Bede reports that Cuthbert performed?
(a) He brought a sheriff's wife back to life.
(b) He healed himself of a lame leg.
(c) He calmed a wind that had nearly blown rafts carrying monks to sea with his prayers.
(d) He healed a sick boy near death.
2. After he listened to the chastisement, what does Bede report to be Cuthbert's response?
(a) He stopped spending so much time adventuring and devoted himself more seriously to studying the Bible.
(b) He began working harder on his chants to serve the worship needs of his town.
(c) He forsook foolish games immediately and showed himself to be more mature and earnest.
(d) He began studying writing more seriously to produce works fit for public consumption.
3. Who does Stephanus claim influenced Ecgfrith to drive Wilfrid from his see?
(a) King Dagobert.
(b) Ecgfrith's queen, Iurminbrugh.
(c) Bishop Colman.
(d) Bishop Winfrid.
4. Where does the anonymous author report Ceolfrith was buried?
(a) In the new abbey at Jarrow.
(b) In the church of the holy martyred brothers Speusippus, Eleusippus, and Meleusippus.
(c) In Wearmouth next to the tomb of Benedict.
(d) In a secluded wood as he favored his time spent as a hermit.
5. After the death of Benedict, how many years does the anonymous author credit Ceolfrith with presiding over both monasteries simultaneously?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Stephanus report restored Wilfrid to his see?
2. Why did Benedict name Ceolfrith to be abbot over the two monasteries he helped to build, according to the anonymous author?
3. Who does the anonymous author claim presided over the monastery before Ceolfrith joined it?
4. Whose record of Cuthbert's death did Bede use?
5. Who was the king who Stephanus reported to follow Wilfrid's guidance to win victories over the Picts and Mercia?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)