|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What miracle does Stephanus report that Wilfrid performed during the construction of the church at Hexham?
(a) He healed through prayer a workman who fell from working on the highest part of the walls in the church.
(b) He prayed over a pile of stones used in the construction and the pile was not exhausted until the church was completed.
(c) He prayed for the health of the workers and all of them kept their health throughout the project.
(d) He prayed for God's provision of favorable weather and the project did not lose a day due to foul weather.
2. Which Old Testament prophet does Bede first quote in the first paragraph of Chapter One?
3. What did some of the monks who buried Ceolfrith take to Rome on his behalf, according to the anonymous author?
(a) A letter to the pope requesting more books of learning for the church.
(b) A Bible translated from Hebrew and Greek originals according to the interpretation of Priest Jerome.
(c) A painting of Ceolfrith made just prior to his death.
(d) Icons of Ceolfrith to be kept with other holy icons.
4. What did Bede claim to be Cuthbert's preoccupation when he was still eight years old?
(a) Games and carefree play.
(b) Hunting and adventuring.
(c) Praying and Chanting.
(d) Reading and writing.
5. Why did a demon leave the wife of Sheriff Hildmer as he and Cuthbert approached his home, according to Bede?
(a) The angels that always walked ahead of Cuthbert battled the angels as the wife of the sheriff slept.
(b) The demon could not stand the approaching of the Holy Spirit that resided in Cuthbert.
(c) Because the demon realized that God would come at Cuthbert's call.
(d) Because Cuthbert had prayed that God would remove the demon before the Sheriff had returned to his home.
Short Answer Questions
1. After his debate with Bishop Colman won him acclaim, what does Stephanus report came of Wilfrid?
2. What were the reasons that Stephanus gave for Wilfrid deciding to bring a dead child back to life in the village of On Tiddanufri?
3. Who was named to rule the monastery shortly before Ceolfrith joined it, according to the anonymous author?
4. How did Cuthbert respond to converts who were falling away from the faith, according to Bede?
5. To whom was the letter addressed?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)