|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What example does the anonymous author claim that Ceolfrith took from his brother Cynefrith?
(a) Requiring all duties to be done before meals were to be shared.
(b) Holding the monks under his authority to high moral standards.
(c) Establishing a work schedule that required all monks spend time copying Bibles.
(d) Leaving the care of his monastery to younger men to go on a pilgrimage to Rome in his later years.
2. As Cuthbert was traveling with a boy during a preaching tour in Chapter 12, how did Bede report that Cuthbert prophesied their food would be provided?
(a) By a fawn.
(b) By an eagle.
(c) By two otters.
(d) By a dog.
3. How many total years does the anonymous author report that Ceolfrith ruled separately over the monasteries of St. Peter and St. Paul?
4. Who gave Wilfrid the monastery at Ripon according to Stephanus?
(a) King Ecgfrith.
(c) King Oswiu.
(d) Bishop Winfrid.
5. To what book does Bede refer for support of other angels who rode on horseback?
(b) The Navigato.
(c) The Psalms.
(d) The history of the Maccabees.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the king who Stephanus reported to follow Wilfrid's guidance to win victories over the Picts and Mercia?
2. After he listened to the chastisement, what does Bede report to be Cuthbert's response?
3. How did Cuthbert respond to converts who were falling away from the faith, according to Bede?
4. To what biblical story does Stephanus compare the event that preceded the battle between Wilfrid's party and the pagans?
5. What does Bede claim Cuthbert did to convert water to wine as he stayed at a convent in Tyne?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)