|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Bede claim to be Cuthbert's preoccupation when he was still eight years old?
(a) Praying and Chanting.
(b) Reading and writing.
(c) Games and carefree play.
(d) Hunting and adventuring.
2. According to Stephanus, how did the expansion of the Kingdom that Wilfrid advised expand his authority as Bishop?
(a) Wilfrid became wealthier from the expansion of the kingdom and used his wealth to buy support from Rome.
(b) Wilfrid was recognized by Rome as a powerful Bishop of England.
(c) Wilfrid used the expansion of the kingdom to claim more lands for the church.
(d) Wilfrid became bishop over the Saxons, British, Scots, and Picts.
3. As Cuthbert was traveling with a boy during a preaching tour in Chapter 12, how did Bede report that Cuthbert prophesied their food would be provided?
(a) By a fawn.
(b) By a dog.
(c) By an eagle.
(d) By two otters.
4. How was Cuthbert's Friday fast broken on one occasion at the vesper's hour according to Bede?
(a) Birds brought him bread from a far land.
(b) Otters brought him a meal of fish from the sea.
(c) Cuthbert's horse pulled on a straw from the roof where he rested that was connected to a bundle of food from God.
(d) An angel disgused as an old man fixed him a meal of rice and cakes.
5. What miracle did Cuthbert perform when he brought the Holy Ghost to a village that could only provide tents for him and his retinue?
(a) He received wood from birds and animals to provide for a fire.
(b) He fed the village a healthy stew made from nothing but a pot of water and three round stones.
(c) With prayer he cured a boy that was dying.
(d) He healed a blind man who shared his bread with them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Stephanus claim introduced Wilfrid to the Pope?
2. Who was chosen by the monks to serve as abbot in Ceolfrith's absence, according to the anonymous author?
3. Why did a demon leave the wife of Sheriff Hildmer as he and Cuthbert approached his home, according to Bede?
4. Who did Bede report reviewed and revised his work?
5. Where is the body of Cuthbert buried, according to Bede's record?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)