|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose record of Cuthbert's death did Bede use?
(a) Hwaetbehrt who succeeded him as abbot.
(b) Benedict who was a close friend of Cuthbert.
(c) Herefrith, a devout priest and abbot of Lindisfarne.
(d) Wilfrid who asked Bede to take a pilgrimage with him to Rome.
2. Who was chosen by the monks to serve as abbot in Ceolfrith's absence, according to the anonymous author?
(d) Abbot Botulf.
3. Why did a demon leave the wife of Sheriff Hildmer as he and Cuthbert approached his home, according to Bede?
(a) The demon could not stand the approaching of the Holy Spirit that resided in Cuthbert.
(b) The angels that always walked ahead of Cuthbert battled the angels as the wife of the sheriff slept.
(c) Because Cuthbert had prayed that God would remove the demon before the Sheriff had returned to his home.
(d) Because the demon realized that God would come at Cuthbert's call.
4. According to Stephanus, how did the expansion of the Kingdom that Wilfrid advised expand his authority as Bishop?
(a) Wilfrid used the expansion of the kingdom to claim more lands for the church.
(b) Wilfrid became bishop over the Saxons, British, Scots, and Picts.
(c) Wilfrid was recognized by Rome as a powerful Bishop of England.
(d) Wilfrid became wealthier from the expansion of the kingdom and used his wealth to buy support from Rome.
5. What were two things that Bede said he avoided in the prologue?
(a) Criticism and pessimism.
(b) Ambiguity and hair-splitting.
(c) Doctrine and legalism.
(d) Judgementalism and piety.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the first miracle that Bede reports that Cuthbert performed?
2. To whose honor was the monastery that Ceolfrith helped to build dedicated, according to the anonymous author?
3. Who kept Wilfrid until Stephanus claimed he could meet with suitable travelers as he began his journey to St. Peter's see?
4. Who did the anonymous author claim chose Ceolfrith to help him build a monastery?
5. When Wilfrid's ship had run aground on the English shore and was surrounded by pagans, what event does Stephanus report occurred that preceded a battle between Wilfrid's party and the pagans?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)