|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Cuthbert respond to converts who were falling away from the faith, according to Bede?
(a) He secluded himself and prayed fervently for their integrity.
(b) He chastised them with harsh sermons.
(c) He ministered to them directly by showing them a life of Christian integrity.
(d) He traveled to villages to preach the way of truth.
2. How did the anonymous author claim that Ceolfrith came to study for the priesthood?
(a) He was appointed by his cousin Tunbert.
(b) He was appointed by his Bishop Wilford.
(c) He was appointed by Abbot Botulf.
(d) He was appointed by his brother Cynefrith.
3. Of what does Stephanus claim Wilfrid accused English bishops prior to his journey to Gaul?
(a) Being too strict with moral limits.
(b) Being too stiff in worship services.
(c) Being similar in ideology to Celts.
(d) Being corrupt with indulgences.
4. What was the first miracle that Bede reports that Cuthbert performed?
(a) He brought a sheriff's wife back to life.
(b) He calmed a wind that had nearly blown rafts carrying monks to sea with his prayers.
(c) He healed a sick boy near death.
(d) He healed himself of a lame leg.
5. To whose honor was the monastery that Ceolfrith helped to build dedicated, according to the anonymous author?
(a) St. Paul the Apostle.
(b) St. John the Apostel.
(c) St. Peter the Apostle.
(d) St. Luke the Physician.
Short Answer Questions
1. What miracle did Cuthbert perform when he brought the Holy Ghost to a village that could only provide tents for him and his retinue?
2. What animal does Bede claim ministered to Cuthbert after he spent a night in prayer in the water off the sea shore?
3. Who kept Wilfrid until Stephanus claimed he could meet with suitable travelers as he began his journey to St. Peter's see?
4. Who did the anonymous author claim chose Ceolfrith to help him build a monastery?
5. Which Old Testament prophet does Bede first quote in the first paragraph of Chapter One?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)