|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was finally found to travel to St. Peter's with Wilfrid, according to Stephanus?
(a) King Erconberht of Kent.
(b) Bishop Baducing.
(c) Archbishop Dalfinus.
(d) Boniface the Archdeacon.
2. What sign does Stephanus claim was sent to prove that God intended Wilfred to be a saint?
(a) God sent an angel to protect the monastery at Oundle.
(b) God brought defeat to kings who opposed him.
(c) The seas were calmed after storms shiprwrecked his party.
(d) He brought a baby back from death.
3. Who does Stephanus report restored Wilfrid to his see?
(a) King Ecgfrith.
(c) Archbishop Berhtrwald.
(d) Pope Agatho and the Holy Synod.
4. How did the anonymous author claim that Ceolfrith came to study for the priesthood?
(a) He was appointed by his cousin Tunbert.
(b) He was appointed by his brother Cynefrith.
(c) He was appointed by his Bishop Wilford.
(d) He was appointed by Abbot Botulf.
5. After the death of Benedict, how many years does the anonymous author credit Ceolfrith with presiding over both monasteries simultaneously?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bede claim to be Cuthbert's preoccupation when he was still eight years old?
2. How does Bede claim Cuthbert kept birds from eating the barley crop he grew as he lived in isolation as a monk?
3. What text does Bede report that Boisil recommended to Cuthbert?
4. At what age does the anonymous author of Ceolfrith's history claim he became a monk?
5. To what office did Stephanus claim Agilberht ordained Wilfrid?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)