|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bede claim Cuthbert kept birds from eating the barley crop he grew as he lived in isolation as a monk?
(a) He invented the scarecrow.
(b) He said, ". . . If God has given you permission, then do as He bade you: if not, be off with you, . . ."
(c) He kept a week-long prayer and fast to appeal to God to deliver his crops from the offending birds.
(d) He said, "God will banish your souls to condemnation should you be robbing from His anointed."
2. What Psalm did the monks from St. Peter's sing to Ceolfrith as he left on his pilgrimage, according to the anonymous author?
(a) Psalm 91, "He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty."
(b) Psalm 125, "As the Mountains surround Jerusalem, So the Lord surrounds His people."
(c) Psalm 20, "May the Lord answer you in the day of trouble! May the name of the God of Jacob set you securely on high!"
(d) Psalm 66, "May God have mercy on us and bless us, lighten his face and have mercy on us."
3. Where does Stephanus claim peace was achieved between Wilfrid and his enemies?
(b) The Holy Synod.
(d) The Synod of Nidd.
4. Over what issue did Wilfrid debate Bishop Colman according to Stephanus?
(a) The specific day upon which to celebrate Easter.
(b) The parallels between Yom Kippur and Christmas.
(c) The role of icons in affirming faith.
(d) The importance of miracles in identifying saints.
5. Of what does Stephanus claim Wilfrid accused English bishops prior to his journey to Gaul?
(a) Being corrupt with indulgences.
(b) Being similar in ideology to Celts.
(c) Being too stiff in worship services.
(d) Being too strict with moral limits.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the monastery that the anonymous author report Ceolfrith joined?
2. What was Wilfrid's destination when he left his home, according to Stephanus?
3. In what city did Stephanus report Wilfrid's traveling companion leave him after they started their journey to St. Peter's?
4. Why was Cuthbert inspired to rise from his sickbed in Chapter 8, according to Bede?
5. What custom arose from the burial of Ceolfrith?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)