|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Psalm did the monks from St. Peter's sing to Ceolfrith as he left on his pilgrimage, according to the anonymous author?
(a) Psalm 20, "May the Lord answer you in the day of trouble! May the name of the God of Jacob set you securely on high!"
(b) Psalm 91, "He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty."
(c) Psalm 66, "May God have mercy on us and bless us, lighten his face and have mercy on us."
(d) Psalm 125, "As the Mountains surround Jerusalem, So the Lord surrounds His people."
2. How many monks did the anonymous author report Ceolfrith took with him to complete the new construction that King Egfrith sponsored?
3. What quote does the anonymous author of Ceolfrith's history use to advise readers of his work?
(a) "The texts presented in this volume are important sources to the history of the Christian Church."
(b) "Remind yourselves that I have written nothing about the saint without first subjectng the facts to the most thorough scrutiny."
(c) "The work is difficult, my intelligence and command of rhetoric small; none the less, though, the result might come below expectation, the effort will at least pay my debt of obedience."
(d) "Remember your leaders, those who spoke the word of God to you; consider the end of their way of life and imitate their faith."
4. What did the anonymous author report occurred to Ceolfrith on the day he reached Langres on September 25?
(a) He was recived by the Galic king.
(b) He was asked to lead worship at the abbey there.
(c) He died.
(d) He was miraculously freed from bandits who had cornered him on his journey.
5. Who kept Wilfrid until Stephanus claimed he could meet with suitable travelers as he began his journey to St. Peter's see?
(a) Bishop Agilberht.
(b) Queen Eanfled's cousin, King Erconberht of Kent.
(c) Archbishop Dalfinus.
(d) Biscop Baducing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose death was Ceolfrith compared in the letter from Rome?
2. To whom did Stephanus address his record of the "Life of Wilfrid"?
3. Where is the body of Cuthbert buried, according to Bede's record?
4. How old was Wilfrid when Stephanus reported he left home to seek the kingdom of Heaven?
5. How many monks did the anonymous author report Ceolfrith left behind at his monasteries?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)