|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Cuthbert was traveling with a boy during a preaching tour in Chapter 12, how did Bede report that Cuthbert prophesied their food would be provided?
(a) By two otters.
(b) By a dog.
(c) By a fawn.
(d) By an eagle.
2. After he listened to the chastisement, what does Bede report to be Cuthbert's response?
(a) He forsook foolish games immediately and showed himself to be more mature and earnest.
(b) He stopped spending so much time adventuring and devoted himself more seriously to studying the Bible.
(c) He began studying writing more seriously to produce works fit for public consumption.
(d) He began working harder on his chants to serve the worship needs of his town.
3. What were the reasons that Stephanus gave for Wilfrid deciding to bring a dead child back to life in the village of On Tiddanufri?
(a) Wilfrid sought to use the miracle to affirm the power of Christ in the village that was back sliding.
(b) Wilfrid knew that such a miracle would bring many pagans to Christ.
(c) Wilfrid used the miracle to frighten off pagans who were gathering to kill him.
(d) Wilfrid had no doubt about the power of Christ and was impressed by the faith of the mother.
4. What animal does Bede claim ministered to Cuthbert after he spent a night in prayer in the water off the sea shore?
(a) Two otters.
(b) An eagle.
(c) A fawn.
(d) A dog.
5. What text does Bede report that Boisil recommended to Cuthbert?
(a) The Epistles of St. Peter.
(b) The Epistle of St. James, the brother of Jesus.
(c) The Gospel of Luke.
(d) St. John the Evangelist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the anonymous author report occurred to Ceolfrith on the day he reached Langres on September 25?
2. What sign does Stephanus claim that God used to indicate that Wilfrid would serve him in the future?
3. Why did Bede address his prologue to its named recipient?
4. What was the result of the prayers Cuthbert led while he and two brethren were stranded during a sea voyage without provisions?
5. Who gave Wilfrid the monastery at Ripon according to Stephanus?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)