|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did the anonymous author claim chose Ceolfrith to help him build a monastery?
(d) Abbot Benedict.
2. Where did Stephanus report Wilfrid first settled after being chased from his see?
3. What sign does Stephanus claim that God used to indicate that Wilfrid would serve him in the future?
(a) The house where he was being born caught fire but was not consumed.
(b) A fiery demon was chased from his village by a torrent provided by God.
(c) An angel disguised as a horseman helped with Wilfrid's delivery.
(d) Birds gathered to sing praises to God as Wilfrid was born.
4. How many monks did the anonymous author report Ceolfrith took with him to complete the new construction that King Egfrith sponsored?
5. Where does the anonymous author report Ceolfrith was buried?
(a) In the church of the holy martyred brothers Speusippus, Eleusippus, and Meleusippus.
(b) In the new abbey at Jarrow.
(c) In Wearmouth next to the tomb of Benedict.
(d) In a secluded wood as he favored his time spent as a hermit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the result of the prayers Cuthbert led while he and two brethren were stranded during a sea voyage without provisions?
2. Who did Bede report reviewed and revised his work?
3. Why was Cuthbert inspired to rise from his sickbed in Chapter 8, according to Bede?
4. Who gave Wilfrid the monastery at Ripon according to Stephanus?
5. What animal does Bede claim ministered to Cuthbert after he spent a night in prayer in the water off the sea shore?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)