|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Old Testament prophet does Bede first quote in the first paragraph of Chapter One?
2. What did the anonymous author report occurred to Ceolfrith on the day he reached Langres on September 25?
(a) He was recived by the Galic king.
(b) He was miraculously freed from bandits who had cornered him on his journey.
(c) He died.
(d) He was asked to lead worship at the abbey there.
3. Why did a demon leave the wife of Sheriff Hildmer as he and Cuthbert approached his home, according to Bede?
(a) Because Cuthbert had prayed that God would remove the demon before the Sheriff had returned to his home.
(b) The angels that always walked ahead of Cuthbert battled the angels as the wife of the sheriff slept.
(c) Because the demon realized that God would come at Cuthbert's call.
(d) The demon could not stand the approaching of the Holy Spirit that resided in Cuthbert.
4. What were two things that Bede said he avoided in the prologue?
(a) Ambiguity and hair-splitting.
(b) Criticism and pessimism.
(c) Doctrine and legalism.
(d) Judgementalism and piety.
5. What sign does Stephanus claim that God used to indicate that Wilfrid would serve him in the future?
(a) An angel disguised as a horseman helped with Wilfrid's delivery.
(b) A fiery demon was chased from his village by a torrent provided by God.
(c) Birds gathered to sing praises to God as Wilfrid was born.
(d) The house where he was being born caught fire but was not consumed.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age does the anonymous author of Ceolfrith's history claim he became a monk?
2. How does Bede claim Christian converts profaned their faith in Chapter 9?
3. Which duke of Theodoric petitioned the king over the land Wilfrid where was preaching to have Wilfrid sent to him dead or alive, according to Stephanus?
4. Whose record of Cuthbert's death did Bede use?
5. What Psalm did the monks from St. Peter's sing to Ceolfrith as he left on his pilgrimage, according to the anonymous author?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)