|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color are the skies in Section 9?
2. How many days does Ulysses swim for in Section 13?
3. What is Ulysses told that Penelope weaves every day?
4. What does Ulysses find after swimming along the coast in Section 13?
5. Where has Poseidon been vacationing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Poseidon returns from his vacation in Africa?
2. How does Athene help Ulysses when he is on Calypso's island?
3. How does Calypso know that Ulysses is coming in Section 12?
4. What effect does the physical appearance of the Sirens have on Ulysses' men?
5. How does Princess Nausicaa get Ulysses to reveal his identity?
6. What is said to have happened to Nausicaa after Ulysses' departure?
7. Why are two goats sacrificed when Ulysses and his men reach Tartarus?
8. Describe Nausicaa.
9. How does Calypso bring Ulysses to her island?
10. What tool does Ino lend Ulysses to help him swim?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Betrayal is a common theme of the novel. Discuss examples of betrayal from the novel The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 2
The Adventures of Ulysses is an epic novel. Discuss the characteristics of an epic novel and why The Adventures of Ulysses is an example of one.
Essay Topic 3
The gods play a major role in the novel The Adventures of Ulysses. Discuss how the gods' interference on Ulysses' journey affected the story.
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)