|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unique about the rocks that Ulysses' ship encounters in Section 9?
2. What law does Queen Arete warn her husband against breaking by sacrificing Ulysses?
3. What strange noise does Ulysses hear in Section 9?
4. What form does the monster Charybdis take?
5. How does the color of the sky affect Ulysses' mood in Section 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Section 9, why does Ulysses order his men to sail straight to Ithaca?
2. How does Calypso know that Ulysses is coming in Section 12?
3. How does Eurylochus convince the crew to eat the sun-cattle?
4. Why are two goats sacrificed when Ulysses and his men reach Tartarus?
5. Who is Scylla before she is turned into a monster?
6. What effect does the sky have on Ulysses in Section 9?
7. How does Princess Nausicaa get Ulysses to reveal his identity?
8. Who was Charybdis before she is turned into a monster?
9. Who is Ino? What is her motivation for helping Ulysses?
10. What happens when Poseidon returns from his vacation in Africa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Every hero must be honorable. Discuss the theme of honor in the novel The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 2
Ulysses tries to alter his fate, but one's fate is something decided by the gods and cannot be altered. Discuss the idea of fate in Greek mythology and how Ulysses is affected by his foretold future.
Essay Topic 3
Poseidon continually seeks vengeance from Ulysses after the destruction of Troy. Discuss the theme of vengeance in The Adventures of Ulysses.
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)