|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will Thrinacia one day be known as?
2. What does Ulysses hold on to after Poseidon destroys his ship in Section 13?
3. In Section 13, how many days is Ulysses at sea before Poseidon's return from vacation?
4. What form does the monster Charybdis take?
5. What is Ulysses told that Penelope weaves every day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ulysses decide his crew should leave Thrinacia after their hunt is unsuccessful?
2. How does Ulysses trap food while he is adrift on the raft in Section 11?
3. Who is Ino? What is her motivation for helping Ulysses?
4. What obstacle does Ulysses' ship encounter on its journey toward Ithaca in Section 9?
5. Describe Nausicaa.
6. What happens when Poseidon returns from his vacation in Africa?
7. Why does Ulysses have his men tie him to the ship's mast as they pass through the strait of the Sirens?
8. What fate befalls Ulysses' ship when he sets sail from Thrinacia?
9. Who is Scylla before she is turned into a monster?
10. Why are two goats sacrificed when Ulysses and his men reach Tartarus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ulysses comes close to death on a number of occasions. He is also offered immortality but does not accept it. Discuss the theme of immortality in the novel The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 2
The Adventures of Ulysses is an epic novel. Discuss the characteristics of an epic novel and why The Adventures of Ulysses is an example of one.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the point of view of the story. How does the point of view affect the story? How does it affect the reader's experience?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)