|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ulysses know he will encounter by heading toward Thrinacia?
2. What demand is being made on Penelope in Ithaca?
3. How long are the Hellenes stuck at Thrinacia?
4. Who is Hyperion?
5. What does Poseidon call up when he sees Ulysses at sea in Section 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ulysses learn from a crow of his wife, Penelope, back in Ithaca?
2. How does Athene intervene in Ulysses' journey once he has reached Phaeacia?
3. How does Eurylochus convince the crew to eat the sun-cattle?
4. What obstacle does Ulysses encounter when he reaches the shore of Phaeacia?
5. In Section 9, why does Ulysses order his men to sail straight to Ithaca?
6. Why do several of his men believe Ulysses killed Elpenor intentionally?
7. Who was Charybdis before she is turned into a monster?
8. Who is Scylla before she is turned into a monster?
9. What effect does the physical appearance of the Sirens have on Ulysses' men?
10. How does Athene help Ulysses when he is on Calypso's island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conclusion of the novel The Adventures of Ulysses. What is your opinion of the ending? Is it satisfactory? Is it surprising? Write an essay on your opinion of the ending of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the point of view of the story. How does the point of view affect the story? How does it affect the reader's experience?
Essay Topic 3
Ulysses remains loyal to his crew and his wife, and they remain loyal to him. Discuss the theme of loyalty in the novel, The Adventures of Ulysses.
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)