|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Ulysses warned he would find his son upon his return home?
2. Where do the Hellenes attempt to sail directly to following Ulysses' order?
3. What does Ulysses know he will encounter by heading toward Thrinacia?
4. What color are the skies in Section 9?
5. Who besides Ulysses survives the destruction of the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Athene help Ulysses when he is on Calypso's island?
2. Why do several of his men believe Ulysses killed Elpenor intentionally?
3. What warnings do the ghosts of Achilles and Ajax offer Ulysses?
4. How does Ulysses trap food while he is adrift on the raft in Section 11?
5. How do the floating rocks lead Ulysses to fulfill Teiresias' prophesy?
6. Who is Scylla before she is turned into a monster?
7. What happens when Poseidon returns from his vacation in Africa?
8. Who is Ino? What is her motivation for helping Ulysses?
9. What does the ghost of Elpenor warn Ulysses about?
10. Describe Nausicaa.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Every hero must be honorable. Discuss the theme of honor in the novel The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 2
The reader follows the journey of Ulysses, the protagonist and hero of the novel. Discuss Ulysses as a character and whether he is suitable as a hero.
Essay Topic 3
Poseidon continually seeks vengeance from Ulysses after the destruction of Troy. Discuss the theme of vengeance in The Adventures of Ulysses.
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)