|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the physical appearance of the Sirens cause Ulysses' men to do?
2. Who turned Scylla into a monster?
3. What provision do Ulysses' men find in abundance on Thrinacia?
4. What law does Queen Arete warn her husband against breaking by sacrificing Ulysses?
5. What was Charybdis before she angered Zeus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does the physical appearance of the Sirens have on Ulysses' men?
2. What is said to have happened to Nausicaa after Ulysses' departure?
3. How does Eurylochus convince the crew to eat the sun-cattle?
4. How does Princess Nausicaa get Ulysses to reveal his identity?
5. What fate befalls Ulysses' ship when he sets sail from Thrinacia?
6. What warnings do the ghosts of Achilles and Ajax offer Ulysses?
7. How does Calypso bring Ulysses to her island?
8. Who is Scylla before she is turned into a monster?
9. Why are two goats sacrificed when Ulysses and his men reach Tartarus?
10. Describe Nausicaa.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Adventures of Ulysses is an epic novel. Discuss the characteristics of an epic novel and why The Adventures of Ulysses is an example of one.
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is a technique repeatedly used throughout the novel. Discuss Evslin's use of foreshadowing and how it affects the narrative in The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 3
The reader follows the journey of Ulysses, the protagonist and hero of the novel. Discuss Ulysses as a character and whether he is suitable as a hero.
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)