|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Ulysses warned he would find his son upon his return home?
2. How long are the Hellenes stuck at Thrinacia?
3. What strange noise does Ulysses hear in Section 9?
4. In Section 8, what does the sea slope and narrow to become?
5. Who is Hyperion?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Eurylochus convince the crew to eat the sun-cattle?
2. How does Princess Nausicaa get Ulysses to reveal his identity?
3. What is said to have happened to Nausicaa after Ulysses' departure?
4. How do the floating rocks lead Ulysses to fulfill Teiresias' prophesy?
5. Why do several of his men believe Ulysses killed Elpenor intentionally?
6. What does the ghost of Elpenor warn Ulysses about?
7. What obstacle does Ulysses encounter when he reaches the shore of Phaeacia?
8. Why does Ulysses decide his crew should leave Thrinacia after their hunt is unsuccessful?
9. How does Calypso bring Ulysses to her island?
10. How does Athene intervene in Ulysses' journey once he has reached Phaeacia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Adventures of Ulysses is set in the Bronze Age on the Aegean sea, Ithaca, Olympus, as well as a few other islands etc. Discuss the setting of the novel The Adventures of Ulysses and what effect the time and place of the story has on the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Poseidon continually seeks vengeance from Ulysses after the destruction of Troy. Discuss the theme of vengeance in The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 3
Ulysses comes close to death on a number of occasions. He is also offered immortality but does not accept it. Discuss the theme of immortality in the novel The Adventures of Ulysses.
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)