|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What law does Queen Arete warn her husband against breaking by sacrificing Ulysses?
2. What do the Sirens enchant men with?
3. Who does Hyperion request vengeance from?
4. What does Ulysses hold Eurylochus and Perimedes responsible for?
5. What is Ulysses told that Penelope weaves every day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What obstacle does Ulysses encounter when he reaches the shore of Phaeacia?
2. What fate befalls Ulysses' ship when he sets sail from Thrinacia?
3. Describe Nausicaa.
4. How does Eurylochus convince the crew to eat the sun-cattle?
5. What effect does the sky have on Ulysses in Section 9?
6. In Section 9, why does Ulysses order his men to sail straight to Ithaca?
7. What is said to have happened to Nausicaa after Ulysses' departure?
8. How does Calypso bring Ulysses to her island?
9. Who is Ino? What is her motivation for helping Ulysses?
10. Why are two goats sacrificed when Ulysses and his men reach Tartarus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Magic is a recurring motif in the novel The Adventures of Ulysses. The gods use magic, sometimes to help Ulysses, sometimes to hinder him. Write an essay on the role of magic in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the point of view of the story. How does the point of view affect the story? How does it affect the reader's experience?
Essay Topic 3
Ulysses comes close to death on a number of occasions. He is also offered immortality but does not accept it. Discuss the theme of immortality in the novel The Adventures of Ulysses.
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)