|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ulysses know he will encounter by heading toward Thrinacia?
2. What does Calypso say Ulysses is in time for when waking up in Ogygia the second time?
3. How is Ulysses' ship driven through the strait of the Sirens?
4. What is Thrinacia also known as?
5. What do Ulysses' men block their ears with to sail thought the strait of the Sirens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Scylla before she is turned into a monster?
2. What obstacle does Ulysses encounter when he reaches the shore of Phaeacia?
3. What does Ulysses learn from a crow of his wife, Penelope, back in Ithaca?
4. What effect does the physical appearance of the Sirens have on Ulysses' men?
5. How does Calypso know that Ulysses is coming in Section 12?
6. How does Ulysses trap food while he is adrift on the raft in Section 11?
7. Why does Ulysses have his men tie him to the ship's mast as they pass through the strait of the Sirens?
8. How does Calypso bring Ulysses to her island?
9. Why do several of his men believe Ulysses killed Elpenor intentionally?
10. How does Athene intervene in Ulysses' journey once he has reached Phaeacia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the point of view of the story. How does the point of view affect the story? How does it affect the reader's experience?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conclusion of the novel The Adventures of Ulysses. What is your opinion of the ending? Is it satisfactory? Is it surprising? Write an essay on your opinion of the ending of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Magic is a recurring motif in the novel The Adventures of Ulysses. The gods use magic, sometimes to help Ulysses, sometimes to hinder him. Write an essay on the role of magic in the novel.
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)