|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of his crewmembers does Ulysses accidentally kill?
2. Which god tells Zeus that Poseidon's treatment of Ulysses is unjust?
3. What is Thrinacia also known as?
4. How old is Nausicaa?
5. In Section 13, how many days is Ulysses at sea before Poseidon's return from vacation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What tool does Ino lend Ulysses to help him swim?
2. How does Athene intervene in Ulysses' journey once he has reached Phaeacia?
3. How does Ulysses trap food while he is adrift on the raft in Section 11?
4. How do the floating rocks lead Ulysses to fulfill Teiresias' prophesy?
5. In Section 9, why does Ulysses order his men to sail straight to Ithaca?
6. Why does Ulysses decide his crew should leave Thrinacia after their hunt is unsuccessful?
7. Why do several of his men believe Ulysses killed Elpenor intentionally?
8. How does Calypso know that Ulysses is coming in Section 12?
9. Describe Nausicaa.
10. Who is Scylla before she is turned into a monster?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ulysses tries to alter his fate, but one's fate is something decided by the gods and cannot be altered. Discuss the idea of fate in Greek mythology and how Ulysses is affected by his foretold future.
Essay Topic 2
The gods play a major role in the novel The Adventures of Ulysses. Discuss how the gods' interference on Ulysses' journey affected the story.
Essay Topic 3
Poseidon continually seeks vengeance from Ulysses after the destruction of Troy. Discuss the theme of vengeance in The Adventures of Ulysses.
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)