|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Section 11, who suggests Ullyses' men should eat the sun-cattle?
2. How did Charybdis anger Zeus?
3. What is special about Ino's veil?
4. Who does Ulysses think Nausicaa is?
5. From a distance, what does Ulysses see floating in the water in Section 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What warnings do the ghosts of Achilles and Ajax offer Ulysses?
2. What happens when Poseidon returns from his vacation in Africa?
3. What effect does the sky have on Ulysses in Section 9?
4. How does Calypso know that Ulysses is coming in Section 12?
5. How do the floating rocks lead Ulysses to fulfill Teiresias' prophesy?
6. What obstacle does Ulysses' ship encounter on its journey toward Ithaca in Section 9?
7. How does Calypso bring Ulysses to her island?
8. How does Princess Nausicaa get Ulysses to reveal his identity?
9. Describe Nausicaa.
10. How does Eurylochus convince the crew to eat the sun-cattle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Adventures of Ulysses is an epic novel. Discuss the characteristics of an epic novel and why The Adventures of Ulysses is an example of one.
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is a technique repeatedly used throughout the novel. Discuss Evslin's use of foreshadowing and how it affects the narrative in The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 3
The reader follows the journey of Ulysses, the protagonist and hero of the novel. Discuss Ulysses as a character and whether he is suitable as a hero.
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)