|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Calypso turn the men into who she grows bored with?
2. What does Calypso claim to have turned Ulysses into when she saw him fall from his raft?
3. When Ulysses' identity is discovered in Section 14, what favor does he ask of the king?
4. What does Ulysses know he will encounter by heading toward Thrinacia?
5. In Section 13, how many days is Ulysses at sea before Poseidon's return from vacation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Eurylochus convince the crew to eat the sun-cattle?
2. What does Ulysses learn from a crow of his wife, Penelope, back in Ithaca?
3. What is said to have happened to Nausicaa after Ulysses' departure?
4. Describe Nausicaa.
5. What warnings do the ghosts of Achilles and Ajax offer Ulysses?
6. Why are two goats sacrificed when Ulysses and his men reach Tartarus?
7. In Section 9, why does Ulysses order his men to sail straight to Ithaca?
8. How does Ulysses trap food while he is adrift on the raft in Section 11?
9. Who was Charybdis before she is turned into a monster?
10. Who is Scylla before she is turned into a monster?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Poseidon, on a number of occasions, tries to put an end to Ulysses' journey and life. Discuss Poseidon as the antagonist of the novel The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the point of view of the story. How does the point of view affect the story? How does it affect the reader's experience?
Essay Topic 3
Ulysses tries to alter his fate, but one's fate is something decided by the gods and cannot be altered. Discuss the idea of fate in Greek mythology and how Ulysses is affected by his foretold future.
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)