|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of Ulysses' men are taken by Scylla?
2. Why do Nausicaa's parents lose patience with her?
3. What will Thrinacia one day be known as?
4. Who is Hyperion?
5. What does Athene tell Nausicaa to do in her dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Calypso bring Ulysses to her island?
2. What obstacle does Ulysses encounter when he reaches the shore of Phaeacia?
3. How do the floating rocks lead Ulysses to fulfill Teiresias' prophesy?
4. Who is Scylla before she is turned into a monster?
5. Describe Nausicaa.
6. Why does Ulysses decide his crew should leave Thrinacia after their hunt is unsuccessful?
7. What fate befalls Ulysses' ship when he sets sail from Thrinacia?
8. How does Calypso know that Ulysses is coming in Section 12?
9. What happens when Poseidon returns from his vacation in Africa?
10. Why does Ulysses have his men tie him to the ship's mast as they pass through the strait of the Sirens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is a technique repeatedly used throughout the novel. Discuss Evslin's use of foreshadowing and how it affects the narrative in The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the two female characters Circe and Calypso.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the point of view of the story. How does the point of view affect the story? How does it affect the reader's experience?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)