|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ulysses' identity is discovered in Section 14, what favor does he ask of the king?
2. What does Ulysses know he will encounter by heading toward Thrinacia?
3. What do the rocks in Section 9 prevent Ulysses and his crew from doing?
4. What does Ulysses hold on to after Poseidon destroys his ship in Section 13?
5. What strange noise does Ulysses hear in Section 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is said to have happened to Nausicaa after Ulysses' departure?
2. How does Athene intervene in Ulysses' journey once he has reached Phaeacia?
3. Who is Scylla before she is turned into a monster?
4. Who was Charybdis before she is turned into a monster?
5. Why are two goats sacrificed when Ulysses and his men reach Tartarus?
6. What does the ghost of Elpenor warn Ulysses about?
7. What obstacle does Ulysses encounter when he reaches the shore of Phaeacia?
8. What does Ulysses learn from a crow of his wife, Penelope, back in Ithaca?
9. How does Athene help Ulysses when he is on Calypso's island?
10. Who is Ino? What is her motivation for helping Ulysses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Every hero must be honorable. Discuss the theme of honor in the novel The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 2
The reader follows the journey of Ulysses, the protagonist and hero of the novel. Discuss Ulysses as a character and whether he is suitable as a hero.
Essay Topic 3
Ulysses tries to alter his fate, but one's fate is something decided by the gods and cannot be altered. Discuss the idea of fate in Greek mythology and how Ulysses is affected by his foretold future.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)