|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Through what device does Calypso watch Ulysses' journey?
2. Who is sent to Ogygia to tell Calypso to release Ulysses?
3. Who is Hyperion?
4. In which direction do Ulysses and his men sail at the beginning of Section 8?
5. What strange noise does Ulysses hear in Section 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Athene help Ulysses when he is on Calypso's island?
2. What tool does Ino lend Ulysses to help him swim?
3. What does Ulysses learn from a crow of his wife, Penelope, back in Ithaca?
4. How does Eurylochus convince the crew to eat the sun-cattle?
5. What happens when Poseidon returns from his vacation in Africa?
6. In Section 9, why does Ulysses order his men to sail straight to Ithaca?
7. Describe Nausicaa.
8. What does the ghost of Elpenor warn Ulysses about?
9. How does Princess Nausicaa get Ulysses to reveal his identity?
10. What warnings do the ghosts of Achilles and Ajax offer Ulysses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Adventures of Ulysses is set in the Bronze Age on the Aegean sea, Ithaca, Olympus, as well as a few other islands etc. Discuss the setting of the novel The Adventures of Ulysses and what effect the time and place of the story has on the plot.
Essay Topic 2
The reader follows the journey of Ulysses, the protagonist and hero of the novel. Discuss Ulysses as a character and whether he is suitable as a hero.
Essay Topic 3
The Adventures of Ulysses is an epic novel. Discuss the characteristics of an epic novel and why The Adventures of Ulysses is an example of one.
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)