|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From a distance, what does Ulysses see floating in the water in Section 9?
2. How long does Ulysses drift at sea in Section 11?
3. How old is Nausicaa?
4. What demand is being made on Penelope in Ithaca?
5. What plant does Ulysses rest amongst after reaching land in Section 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does the sky have on Ulysses in Section 9?
2. What fate befalls Ulysses' ship when he sets sail from Thrinacia?
3. How does Calypso bring Ulysses to her island?
4. What obstacle does Ulysses' ship encounter on its journey toward Ithaca in Section 9?
5. What tool does Ino lend Ulysses to help him swim?
6. Who was Charybdis before she is turned into a monster?
7. What does the ghost of Elpenor warn Ulysses about?
8. What is said to have happened to Nausicaa after Ulysses' departure?
9. Who is Ino? What is her motivation for helping Ulysses?
10. Why does Ulysses have his men tie him to the ship's mast as they pass through the strait of the Sirens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Betrayal is a common theme of the novel. Discuss examples of betrayal from the novel The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the two female characters Circe and Calypso.
Essay Topic 3
Poseidon, on a number of occasions, tries to put an end to Ulysses' journey and life. Discuss Poseidon as the antagonist of the novel The Adventures of Ulysses.
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)