|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long are the Hellenes stuck at Thrinacia?
2. What do the rocks in Section 9 prevent Ulysses and his crew from doing?
3. Where does Ulysses swim to in Section 13?
4. Who is Nausicaa?
5. What does the physical appearance of the Sirens cause Ulysses' men to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What warnings do the ghosts of Achilles and Ajax offer Ulysses?
2. Why does Ulysses have his men tie him to the ship's mast as they pass through the strait of the Sirens?
3. Who is Ino? What is her motivation for helping Ulysses?
4. What fate befalls Ulysses' ship when he sets sail from Thrinacia?
5. How do the floating rocks lead Ulysses to fulfill Teiresias' prophesy?
6. Why do several of his men believe Ulysses killed Elpenor intentionally?
7. Describe Nausicaa.
8. How does Athene help Ulysses when he is on Calypso's island?
9. How does Calypso bring Ulysses to her island?
10. What obstacle does Ulysses' ship encounter on its journey toward Ithaca in Section 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Poseidon continually seeks vengeance from Ulysses after the destruction of Troy. Discuss the theme of vengeance in The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 2
Every hero must be honorable. Discuss the theme of honor in the novel The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 3
The gods play a major role in the novel The Adventures of Ulysses. Discuss how the gods' interference on Ulysses' journey affected the story.
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)