|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Calypso turn the men into who she grows bored with?
2. What insect does the monster Scylla resemble?
3. What do the faces of the Sirens look like?
4. Who warns Ulysses in Section 8 that he will encounter the Sirens?
5. What birds does Ulysses catch by pretending to be dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. What warnings do the ghosts of Achilles and Ajax offer Ulysses?
2. What effect does the physical appearance of the Sirens have on Ulysses' men?
3. Who is Scylla before she is turned into a monster?
4. Who is Ino? What is her motivation for helping Ulysses?
5. What effect does the sky have on Ulysses in Section 9?
6. Describe Nausicaa.
7. Why does Ulysses decide his crew should leave Thrinacia after their hunt is unsuccessful?
8. Why are two goats sacrificed when Ulysses and his men reach Tartarus?
9. What does the ghost of Elpenor warn Ulysses about?
10. Why do several of his men believe Ulysses killed Elpenor intentionally?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The reader follows the journey of Ulysses, the protagonist and hero of the novel. Discuss Ulysses as a character and whether he is suitable as a hero.
Essay Topic 2
Poseidon continually seeks vengeance from Ulysses after the destruction of Troy. Discuss the theme of vengeance in The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 3
The Adventures of Ulysses is set in the Bronze Age on the Aegean sea, Ithaca, Olympus, as well as a few other islands etc. Discuss the setting of the novel The Adventures of Ulysses and what effect the time and place of the story has on the plot.
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)