|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is sent to Ogygia to tell Calypso to release Ulysses?
2. How did Charybdis anger Zeus?
3. Who does Hyperion request vengeance from?
4. What demand is being made on Penelope in Ithaca?
5. How is Ulysses' ship driven through the strait of the Sirens?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Poseidon returns from his vacation in Africa?
2. Describe Nausicaa.
3. In Section 9, why does Ulysses order his men to sail straight to Ithaca?
4. What does the ghost of Elpenor warn Ulysses about?
5. How does Calypso bring Ulysses to her island?
6. How does Athene help Ulysses when he is on Calypso's island?
7. How does Ulysses trap food while he is adrift on the raft in Section 11?
8. How do the floating rocks lead Ulysses to fulfill Teiresias' prophesy?
9. What tool does Ino lend Ulysses to help him swim?
10. Who is Ino? What is her motivation for helping Ulysses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Every hero must be honorable. Discuss the theme of honor in the novel The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 2
Magic is a recurring motif in the novel The Adventures of Ulysses. The gods use magic, sometimes to help Ulysses, sometimes to hinder him. Write an essay on the role of magic in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Poseidon, on a number of occasions, tries to put an end to Ulysses' journey and life. Discuss Poseidon as the antagonist of the novel The Adventures of Ulysses.
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)