|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animals are sacrificed so that Ulysses may talk to the dead?
2. What is Ulysses told that Penelope weaves every day?
3. What strange noise does Ulysses hear in Section 9?
4. How does the color of the sky affect Ulysses' mood in Section 9?
5. Which of his crewmembers does Ulysses accidentally kill?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Princess Nausicaa get Ulysses to reveal his identity?
2. How does Eurylochus convince the crew to eat the sun-cattle?
3. How does Ulysses trap food while he is adrift on the raft in Section 11?
4. Why does Ulysses have his men tie him to the ship's mast as they pass through the strait of the Sirens?
5. What does the ghost of Elpenor warn Ulysses about?
6. What obstacle does Ulysses encounter when he reaches the shore of Phaeacia?
7. What tool does Ino lend Ulysses to help him swim?
8. Why are two goats sacrificed when Ulysses and his men reach Tartarus?
9. What obstacle does Ulysses' ship encounter on its journey toward Ithaca in Section 9?
10. How do the floating rocks lead Ulysses to fulfill Teiresias' prophesy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ulysses remains loyal to his crew and his wife, and they remain loyal to him. Discuss the theme of loyalty in the novel, The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 2
Every hero must be honorable. Discuss the theme of honor in the novel The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 3
The reader follows the journey of Ulysses, the protagonist and hero of the novel. Discuss Ulysses as a character and whether he is suitable as a hero.
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)