|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Athene tell Nausicaa to do in her dream?
2. What does Ulysses awake upon in Section 12?
3. What does Elpenor instruct Ulysses to avoid so that he does not lose his entire crew?
4. Where has Poseidon been vacationing?
5. How does the color of the sky affect Ulysses' mood in Section 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What obstacle does Ulysses encounter when he reaches the shore of Phaeacia?
2. How do the floating rocks lead Ulysses to fulfill Teiresias' prophesy?
3. What happens when Poseidon returns from his vacation in Africa?
4. Why does Ulysses decide his crew should leave Thrinacia after their hunt is unsuccessful?
5. Who is Scylla before she is turned into a monster?
6. How does Calypso bring Ulysses to her island?
7. How does Calypso know that Ulysses is coming in Section 12?
8. How does Athene intervene in Ulysses' journey once he has reached Phaeacia?
9. What does Ulysses learn from a crow of his wife, Penelope, back in Ithaca?
10. What tool does Ino lend Ulysses to help him swim?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Every hero must be honorable. Discuss the theme of honor in the novel The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 2
The Adventures of Ulysses features a number of archetypes, such as the journey and the hero. Write an essay describing the archetypes found in the novel and the meanings behind them.
Essay Topic 3
Poseidon continually hinders Ulysses' journey, while Athene continually helps it. Write an essay comparing and contrasting the roles of Poseidon and Athene in The Adventures of Ulysses.
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)