|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color are the skies in Section 9?
2. Where does Ulysses swim to in Section 13?
3. Why do Nausicaa's parents lose patience with her?
4. What does Ulysses throw which knocks a hole in the castle courtyard in Section 14?
5. What animals are sacrificed so that Ulysses may talk to the dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ulysses have his men tie him to the ship's mast as they pass through the strait of the Sirens?
2. Why do several of his men believe Ulysses killed Elpenor intentionally?
3. Who was Charybdis before she is turned into a monster?
4. What does Ulysses learn from a crow of his wife, Penelope, back in Ithaca?
5. How does Athene help Ulysses when he is on Calypso's island?
6. What warnings do the ghosts of Achilles and Ajax offer Ulysses?
7. How does Calypso know that Ulysses is coming in Section 12?
8. Who is Scylla before she is turned into a monster?
9. How does Princess Nausicaa get Ulysses to reveal his identity?
10. What obstacle does Ulysses' ship encounter on its journey toward Ithaca in Section 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Poseidon continually seeks vengeance from Ulysses after the destruction of Troy. Discuss the theme of vengeance in The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 2
Betrayal is a common theme of the novel. Discuss examples of betrayal from the novel The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 3
Every hero must be honorable. Discuss the theme of honor in the novel The Adventures of Ulysses.
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)