|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What form does the monster Charybdis take?
2. What color are the skies in Section 9?
3. What is Ulysses told that Penelope weaves every day?
4. In which direction do Ulysses and his men sail at the beginning of Section 8?
5. What insect does the monster Scylla resemble?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does the sky have on Ulysses in Section 9?
2. What fate befalls Ulysses' ship when he sets sail from Thrinacia?
3. Who was Charybdis before she is turned into a monster?
4. What does Ulysses learn from a crow of his wife, Penelope, back in Ithaca?
5. How do the floating rocks lead Ulysses to fulfill Teiresias' prophesy?
6. How does Athene help Ulysses when he is on Calypso's island?
7. Why do several of his men believe Ulysses killed Elpenor intentionally?
8. How does Athene intervene in Ulysses' journey once he has reached Phaeacia?
9. What effect does the physical appearance of the Sirens have on Ulysses' men?
10. Describe Nausicaa.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Adventures of Ulysses is a retelling of the classic work The Odyssey. Discuss how well Evslin does at making the classic accessible to more people.
Essay Topic 2
The Adventures of Ulysses features a number of archetypes, such as the journey and the hero. Write an essay describing the archetypes found in the novel and the meanings behind them.
Essay Topic 3
Betrayal is a common theme of the novel. Discuss examples of betrayal from the novel The Adventures of Ulysses.
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)