|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Section 11, who suggests Ullyses' men should eat the sun-cattle?
2. Who is sent to Ogygia to tell Calypso to release Ulysses?
3. Who turned Scylla into a monster?
4. Who is Nausicaa?
5. Where do the Hellenes attempt to sail directly to following Ulysses' order?
Short Essay Questions
1. What obstacle does Ulysses' ship encounter on its journey toward Ithaca in Section 9?
2. Who is Scylla before she is turned into a monster?
3. Why do several of his men believe Ulysses killed Elpenor intentionally?
4. What is said to have happened to Nausicaa after Ulysses' departure?
5. What happens when Poseidon returns from his vacation in Africa?
6. Who was Charybdis before she is turned into a monster?
7. How do the floating rocks lead Ulysses to fulfill Teiresias' prophesy?
8. What does the ghost of Elpenor warn Ulysses about?
9. Why are two goats sacrificed when Ulysses and his men reach Tartarus?
10. What obstacle does Ulysses encounter when he reaches the shore of Phaeacia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Magic is a recurring motif in the novel The Adventures of Ulysses. The gods use magic, sometimes to help Ulysses, sometimes to hinder him. Write an essay on the role of magic in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Ulysses comes close to death on a number of occasions. He is also offered immortality but does not accept it. Discuss the theme of immortality in the novel The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the two female characters Circe and Calypso.
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)