|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men are in each of Ulysses' ships?
2. What do the giants want with Ulysses' men?
3. Who is Morpheus?
4. What does Ulysses use to attack the giants?
5. What does Ulysses dream about in Section 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Aphrodite plot to win the title of the fairest Goddess?
2. How do the Hellenes escape Polyphemus' cave?
3. What does Ulysses climb in Section 6?
4. How does Aeolus recognize Ulysses?
5. Who is Morpheus? Who are his family members?
6. Eris is the Lady of Discord. Explain how she lives up to her title at the wedding of Peleus and Thetis.
7. What does Ulysses dream about while docked in Libya?
8. What role does greed play in ruining Ulysses' return to Ithaca?
9. What do Eurylochus and his men discover at the castle?
10. What is attracted to the baubles thrown from Ulysses' ships in their retreat from the island? Who is angered by this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ulysses comes close to death on a number of occasions. He is also offered immortality but does not accept it. Discuss the theme of immortality in the novel The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 2
Poseidon continually seeks vengeance from Ulysses after the destruction of Troy. Discuss the theme of vengeance in The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 3
The Adventures of Ulysses is a retelling of the classic work The Odyssey. Discuss how well Evslin does at making the classic accessible to more people.
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)