|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ulysses order his men to do when he discovers the giant?
2. What does the god Ulysses meets give him in order to resist Circe's spell?
3. What do the sailors aboard Ulysses' ship begin to suspect about the bag of winds?
4. To where does Circe tell Ulysses he must travel?
5. What does Ulysses use to attack the giants?
Short Essay Questions
1. What favor does Aeolus grant Ulysses?
2. What does Ulysses dream about while docked in Libya?
3. What mistake does Ulysses make once he and his men are safely on their ship having escaped Polyphemus?
4. What happens to two of Ulysses' ships on the Island of the Racing Sun?
5. What is attracted to the baubles thrown from Ulysses' ships in their retreat from the island? Who is angered by this?
6. Eris is the Lady of Discord. Explain how she lives up to her title at the wedding of Peleus and Thetis.
7. Why do the ships led by Ulysses quickly begin to run low on food?
8. How does Aeolus recognize Ulysses?
9. What heroic feat does Ulysses accomplish in Section 3?
10. What plan does Ulysses devise that leads to the Greeks' victory over Troy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The gods play a major role in the novel The Adventures of Ulysses. Discuss how the gods' interference on Ulysses' journey affected the story.
Essay Topic 2
Poseidon, on a number of occasions, tries to put an end to Ulysses' journey and life. Discuss Poseidon as the antagonist of the novel The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the point of view of the story. How does the point of view affect the story? How does it affect the reader's experience?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)