|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Cyclops?
2. How does Ulysses handicap Polyphemus?
3. What does Polyphemus pray will happen to Ulysses?
4. In Section 2, who warns the Hellenes that an attack in coming?
5. What supply do the men run out of aboard Ulysses' ship in Section 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What favor does Aeolus grant Ulysses?
2. How does Aeolus recognize Ulysses?
3. Who is Morpheus? Who are his family members?
4. What role does greed play in ruining Ulysses' return to Ithaca?
5. What is attracted to the baubles thrown from Ulysses' ships in their retreat from the island? Who is angered by this?
6. How does Aphrodite plot to win the title of the fairest Goddess?
7. Whom does Ulysses send to scout the Island of the Racing Sun? What happens to them?
8. What is the lotus-flower?
9. What does Ulysses dream about while docked in Libya?
10. What does Circe say Ulysses will have to do if he decided to leave her island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Poseidon continually seeks vengeance from Ulysses after the destruction of Troy. Discuss the theme of vengeance in The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 2
The Adventures of Ulysses is set in the Bronze Age on the Aegean sea, Ithaca, Olympus, as well as a few other islands etc. Discuss the setting of the novel The Adventures of Ulysses and what effect the time and place of the story has on the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Ulysses comes close to death on a number of occasions. He is also offered immortality but does not accept it. Discuss the theme of immortality in the novel The Adventures of Ulysses.
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)