|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Section 6, what does Ulysses send one of his men to climb in order to scout out the island?
2. What place is described as the land where Morpheus plays?
3. How many men are sent out to scout the island in Section 6?
4. What animal do the Hellenes hunt on the island?
5. What does Polyphemus pray will happen to Ulysses?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Hellenes escape Polyphemus' cave?
2. Who are the Ciconians?
3. How does Aphrodite plot to win the title of the fairest Goddess?
4. What mistake does Ulysses make once he and his men are safely on their ship having escaped Polyphemus?
5. What references does Section 2 make to sacrifices to the Gods?
6. What does Circe say Ulysses will have to do if he decided to leave her island?
7. How does Aeolus recognize Ulysses?
8. What is attracted to the baubles thrown from Ulysses' ships in their retreat from the island? Who is angered by this?
9. Why does Ulysses resist attacking the island village that his men spot from their ships?
10. What heroic feat does Ulysses accomplish in Section 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Poseidon continually seeks vengeance from Ulysses after the destruction of Troy. Discuss the theme of vengeance in The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 2
The Adventures of Ulysses is set in the Bronze Age on the Aegean sea, Ithaca, Olympus, as well as a few other islands etc. Discuss the setting of the novel The Adventures of Ulysses and what effect the time and place of the story has on the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conclusion of the novel The Adventures of Ulysses. What is your opinion of the ending? Is it satisfactory? Is it surprising? Write an essay on your opinion of the ending of the novel.
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)