|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many ships does Ulysses bring the shore of the island in Section 6?
2. Who offers himself as a sacrifice to appease the Gods in Section 2?
3. In Section 2, who warns the Hellenes that an attack in coming?
4. What does Aeolus send to set Ulysses' ships off course?
5. Whom does Aeolus dislike?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the lotus-flower?
2. What heroic feat does Ulysses accomplish in Section 3?
3. Whom does Ulysses send to scout the Island of the Racing Sun? What happens to them?
4. Eris is the Lady of Discord. Explain how she lives up to her title at the wedding of Peleus and Thetis.
5. Which god does Ulysses meet on his way to Circe's castle? What does this god offer Ulysses?
6. What plan does Ulysses devise that leads to the Greeks' victory over Troy?
7. What mistake does Ulysses make once he and his men are safely on their ship having escaped Polyphemus?
8. Who is Morpheus? Who are his family members?
9. What story does Ulysses tell Aeolus, and in what way does Aeolus find it pleasing?
10. How does Polyphemus trap the Hellenes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Poseidon continually hinders Ulysses' journey, while Athene continually helps it. Write an essay comparing and contrasting the roles of Poseidon and Athene in The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 2
Poseidon continually seeks vengeance from Ulysses after the destruction of Troy. Discuss the theme of vengeance in The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is a technique repeatedly used throughout the novel. Discuss Evslin's use of foreshadowing and how it affects the narrative in The Adventures of Ulysses.
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)