|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can Aeolus not grant Ulysses a second favor?
2. Who is Persephone?
3. Whose wedding does Eris attend uninvited?
4. What animals are outside the island's castle?
5. What is referred to as "a little death" by Hypnos?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ulysses climb in Section 6?
2. Who is Morpheus? Who are his family members?
3. What role does greed play in ruining Ulysses' return to Ithaca?
4. How does Aeolus recognize Ulysses?
5. What plan does Ulysses devise that leads to the Greeks' victory over Troy?
6. What spell does Circe cast on men? Why?
7. What does Ulysses dream about while docked in Libya?
8. How do the Hellenes escape Polyphemus' cave?
9. What is the lotus-flower?
10. How does Polyphemus trap the Hellenes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ulysses tries to alter his fate, but one's fate is something decided by the gods and cannot be altered. Discuss the idea of fate in Greek mythology and how Ulysses is affected by his foretold future.
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is a technique repeatedly used throughout the novel. Discuss Evslin's use of foreshadowing and how it affects the narrative in The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 3
The Adventures of Ulysses is a retelling of the classic work The Odyssey. Discuss how well Evslin does at making the classic accessible to more people.
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)