|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aeolus send to set Ulysses' ships off course?
2. What direction do Ulysses' ships sail in Section 5?
3. With how many ships does Ulysses set sail?
4. What fruit does Eris bring with her to the wedding she attends uninvited?
5. How many men are sent out to scout the island in Section 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Polyphemus trap the Hellenes?
2. How does Aphrodite plot to win the title of the fairest Goddess?
3. What references does Section 2 make to sacrifices to the Gods?
4. What does Circe say Ulysses will have to do if he decided to leave her island?
5. What is attracted to the baubles thrown from Ulysses' ships in their retreat from the island? Who is angered by this?
6. What spell does Circe cast on men? Why?
7. Describe the island Ulysses lands on in Section 6.
8. Describe the monsters that inhabit the mountainous island where Ulysses' ship docks.
9. What favor does Aeolus grant Ulysses?
10. What does Ulysses dream about while docked in Libya?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ulysses comes close to death on a number of occasions. He is also offered immortality but does not accept it. Discuss the theme of immortality in the novel The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the point of view of the story. How does the point of view affect the story? How does it affect the reader's experience?
Essay Topic 3
The Adventures of Ulysses features a number of archetypes, such as the journey and the hero. Write an essay describing the archetypes found in the novel and the meanings behind them.
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)