Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the ship taken to when the winds are released from the bag?
2. Who is named the judge of Eris's contest amongst the Goddesses?
3. Who are the people who live in the village in Section 2?
4. Who is Circe?
5. What is the wall that the Hellenes encounter made of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ulysses dream about while docked in Libya?
2. What is said to have happened to Nausicaa after Ulysses' departure?
3. Who is Morpheus? Who are his family members?
4. What happens to two of Ulysses' ships on the Island of the Racing Sun?
5. What does the ghost of Elpenor warn Ulysses about?
6. How does Eurylochus convince the crew to eat the sun-cattle?
7. What warnings do the ghosts of Achilles and Ajax offer Ulysses?
8. Why do the ships led by Ulysses quickly begin to run low on food?
9. What happens when Poseidon returns from his vacation in Africa?
10. What heroic feat does Ulysses accomplish in Section 3?
Essay Topic 1
Magic is a recurring motif in the novel The Adventures of Ulysses. The gods use magic, sometimes to help Ulysses, sometimes to hinder him. Write an essay on the role of magic in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Every hero must be honorable. Discuss the theme of honor in the novel The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of allusions to other Greek myths and gods in the story. Discuss the allusions found in the novel The Adventures of Ulysses.
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)