|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Aeolus?
2. What do the Cyclops monsters like to eat?
3. How does Ulysses handicap Polyphemus?
4. In Section 2, who convinces Ulysses that the village is a gift from God?
5. What is the name of the island Ulysses lands on in Section 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ulysses climb in Section 6?
2. What do Eurylochus and his men discover at the castle?
3. How does Polyphemus trap the Hellenes?
4. How does Aphrodite plot to win the title of the fairest Goddess?
5. What plan does Ulysses devise that leads to the Greeks' victory over Troy?
6. What mistake does Ulysses make once he and his men are safely on their ship having escaped Polyphemus?
7. Why do the ships led by Ulysses quickly begin to run low on food?
8. Who is Morpheus? Who are his family members?
9. Eris is the Lady of Discord. Explain how she lives up to her title at the wedding of Peleus and Thetis.
10. Why does Ulysses resist attacking the island village that his men spot from their ships?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conclusion of the novel The Adventures of Ulysses. What is your opinion of the ending? Is it satisfactory? Is it surprising? Write an essay on your opinion of the ending of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Ulysses tries to alter his fate, but one's fate is something decided by the gods and cannot be altered. Discuss the idea of fate in Greek mythology and how Ulysses is affected by his foretold future.
Essay Topic 3
Poseidon continually seeks vengeance from Ulysses after the destruction of Troy. Discuss the theme of vengeance in The Adventures of Ulysses.
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)