|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Hypnos?
2. What does Aeolus send to set Ulysses' ships off course?
3. What supply do the men run out of aboard Ulysses' ship in Section 4?
4. What does Ulysses dream of in Libya?
5. What is the Cyclops?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ulysses climb in Section 6?
2. How does Aphrodite plot to win the title of the fairest Goddess?
3. What role does greed play in ruining Ulysses' return to Ithaca?
4. What is the lotus-flower?
5. What references does Section 2 make to sacrifices to the Gods?
6. Why does Ulysses resist attacking the island village that his men spot from their ships?
7. How do the Hellenes escape Polyphemus' cave?
8. Which god does Ulysses meet on his way to Circe's castle? What does this god offer Ulysses?
9. What does Ulysses dream about while docked in Libya?
10. How does Polyphemus trap the Hellenes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of allusions to other Greek myths and gods in the story. Discuss the allusions found in the novel The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 2
Poseidon, on a number of occasions, tries to put an end to Ulysses' journey and life. Discuss Poseidon as the antagonist of the novel The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 3
Magic is a recurring motif in the novel The Adventures of Ulysses. The gods use magic, sometimes to help Ulysses, sometimes to hinder him. Write an essay on the role of magic in the novel.
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)