|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Polyphemus' father?
2. How is the foliage of the tree Ulysses climbs described?
3. What does the flower Persephone makes cause people to do?
4. What animal do the Hellenes hunt on the island?
5. How many ships are destroyed by the giants?
Short Essay Questions
1. What plan does Ulysses devise that leads to the Greeks' victory over Troy?
2. Eris is the Lady of Discord. Explain how she lives up to her title at the wedding of Peleus and Thetis.
3. How do the Hellenes escape Polyphemus' cave?
4. What do Eurylochus and his men discover at the castle?
5. What mistake does Ulysses make once he and his men are safely on their ship having escaped Polyphemus?
6. What does Ulysses dream about while docked in Libya?
7. Describe the monsters that inhabit the mountainous island where Ulysses' ship docks.
8. Which god does Ulysses meet on his way to Circe's castle? What does this god offer Ulysses?
9. Why do the ships led by Ulysses quickly begin to run low on food?
10. What role does greed play in ruining Ulysses' return to Ithaca?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The reader follows the journey of Ulysses, the protagonist and hero of the novel. Discuss Ulysses as a character and whether he is suitable as a hero.
Essay Topic 2
The Adventures of Ulysses is set in the Bronze Age on the Aegean sea, Ithaca, Olympus, as well as a few other islands etc. Discuss the setting of the novel The Adventures of Ulysses and what effect the time and place of the story has on the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Every hero must be honorable. Discuss the theme of honor in the novel The Adventures of Ulysses.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)