|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of flower does Morpheus convince Persephone to make?
2. What does Aeolus send to set Ulysses' ships off course?
3. Who is Circe?
4. What direction do Ulysses' ships sail in Section 5?
5. In Section 2, who convinces Ulysses that the village is a gift from God?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ulysses do and whom does he go to see when he first lands at Ithaca?
2. How does Athene intervene in Ulysses' journey once he has reached Phaeacia?
3. What does Ulysses learn from a crow of his wife, Penelope, back in Ithaca?
4. What happens to two of Ulysses' ships on the Island of the Racing Sun?
5. What heroic feat does Ulysses accomplish in Section 3?
6. What tool does Ino lend Ulysses to help him swim?
7. What warnings do the ghosts of Achilles and Ajax offer Ulysses?
8. From her suitors, who does Ulysses advise Penelope she should choose as her husband?
9. What is the lotus-flower?
10. What spell does Circe cast on men? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Betrayal is a common theme of the novel. Discuss examples of betrayal from the novel The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 2
Ulysses tries to alter his fate, but one's fate is something decided by the gods and cannot be altered. Discuss the idea of fate in Greek mythology and how Ulysses is affected by his foretold future.
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is a technique repeatedly used throughout the novel. Discuss Evslin's use of foreshadowing and how it affects the narrative in The Adventures of Ulysses.
This section contains 1,214 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)