|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the sailors aboard Ulysses' ship begin to suspect about the bag of winds?
2. What animal do the Greeks sacrifice to the Gods?
3. In Section 2, who convinces Ulysses that the village is a gift from God?
4. Who is kidnapped by Paris?
5. How is the foliage of the tree Ulysses climbs described?
Short Essay Questions
1. Eris is the Lady of Discord. Explain how she lives up to her title at the wedding of Peleus and Thetis.
2. How does Polyphemus trap the Hellenes?
3. What is said to have happened to Nausicaa after Ulysses' departure?
4. What effect does the sky have on Ulysses in Section 9?
5. What tool does Ino lend Ulysses to help him swim?
6. What is the lotus-flower?
7. Who is Scylla before she is turned into a monster?
8. Which god does Ulysses meet on his way to Circe's castle? What does this god offer Ulysses?
9. Who is Ino? What is her motivation for helping Ulysses?
10. What is attracted to the baubles thrown from Ulysses' ships in their retreat from the island? Who is angered by this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Poseidon continually hinders Ulysses' journey, while Athene continually helps it. Write an essay comparing and contrasting the roles of Poseidon and Athene in The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 2
The reader follows the journey of Ulysses, the protagonist and hero of the novel. Discuss Ulysses as a character and whether he is suitable as a hero.
Essay Topic 3
The Adventures of Ulysses is an epic novel. Discuss the characteristics of an epic novel and why The Adventures of Ulysses is an example of one.
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)