|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Aeolus dislike?
2. How many men are sent out to scout the island in Section 6?
3. What does the flower Persephone makes cause people to do?
4. In Section 2, who convinces Ulysses that the village is a gift from God?
5. How many Greeks from each ship are killed when the villagers in Section 2 are attacking?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to two of Ulysses' ships on the Island of the Racing Sun?
2. What mistake does Ulysses make once he and his men are safely on their ship having escaped Polyphemus?
3. What plan does Ulysses devise that leads to the Greeks' victory over Troy?
4. What role does greed play in ruining Ulysses' return to Ithaca?
5. How does Aphrodite plot to win the title of the fairest Goddess?
6. What does Ulysses dream about while docked in Libya?
7. What is attracted to the baubles thrown from Ulysses' ships in their retreat from the island? Who is angered by this?
8. Who are the Ciconians?
9. How does Polyphemus trap the Hellenes?
10. What does Circe say Ulysses will have to do if he decided to leave her island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Poseidon continually seeks vengeance from Ulysses after the destruction of Troy. Discuss the theme of vengeance in The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 2
Magic is a recurring motif in the novel The Adventures of Ulysses. The gods use magic, sometimes to help Ulysses, sometimes to hinder him. Write an essay on the role of magic in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the point of view of the story. How does the point of view affect the story? How does it affect the reader's experience?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)