|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the foliage of the tree Ulysses climbs described?
2. Where do Ulysses' men sleep in Libya?
3. With how many ships does Ulysses set sail?
4. What is the first giant that Ulysses encounters doing?
5. What do Ulysses' men want to do when they spot a small village on an island in Section 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ulysses resist attacking the island village that his men spot from their ships?
2. How does Aeolus recognize Ulysses?
3. What is attracted to the baubles thrown from Ulysses' ships in their retreat from the island? Who is angered by this?
4. Who are the Ciconians?
5. What does Circe say Ulysses will have to do if he decided to leave her island?
6. What favor does Aeolus grant Ulysses?
7. Eris is the Lady of Discord. Explain how she lives up to her title at the wedding of Peleus and Thetis.
8. What story does Ulysses tell Aeolus, and in what way does Aeolus find it pleasing?
9. What happens to two of Ulysses' ships on the Island of the Racing Sun?
10. How do the Hellenes escape Polyphemus' cave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the point of view of the story. How does the point of view affect the story? How does it affect the reader's experience?
Essay Topic 2
Ulysses tries to alter his fate, but one's fate is something decided by the gods and cannot be altered. Discuss the idea of fate in Greek mythology and how Ulysses is affected by his foretold future.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conclusion of the novel The Adventures of Ulysses. What is your opinion of the ending? Is it satisfactory? Is it surprising? Write an essay on your opinion of the ending of the novel.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)