|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the island Ulysses lands on in Section 6?
2. How does Ulysses handicap Polyphemus?
3. What is attracted to the treasures unloaded from the ships in the Greek's retreat?
4. What does Aeolus ask Ulysses for when he greets him on the island?
5. Who does Ulysses decree will be captain should anything happen to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the Ciconians?
2. What heroic feat does Ulysses accomplish in Section 3?
3. What do Eurylochus and his men discover at the castle?
4. Which god does Ulysses meet on his way to Circe's castle? What does this god offer Ulysses?
5. What mistake does Ulysses make once he and his men are safely on their ship having escaped Polyphemus?
6. What does Circe say Ulysses will have to do if he decided to leave her island?
7. Who is Morpheus? Who are his family members?
8. What is the lotus-flower?
9. What references does Section 2 make to sacrifices to the Gods?
10. What is attracted to the baubles thrown from Ulysses' ships in their retreat from the island? Who is angered by this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The gods play a major role in the novel The Adventures of Ulysses. Discuss how the gods' interference on Ulysses' journey affected the story.
Essay Topic 2
The reader follows the journey of Ulysses, the protagonist and hero of the novel. Discuss Ulysses as a character and whether he is suitable as a hero.
Essay Topic 3
Poseidon, on a number of occasions, tries to put an end to Ulysses' journey and life. Discuss Poseidon as the antagonist of the novel The Adventures of Ulysses.
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)