|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After leaving the Island with the giants, which direction do Ulysses and his men sail?
2. What do the giants want with Ulysses' men?
3. Where does Pulyphemus trap the Hellenes?
4. Who defeats Troy in an invasion?
5. Who is Hypnos?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which god does Ulysses meet on his way to Circe's castle? What does this god offer Ulysses?
2. What spell does Circe cast on men? Why?
3. Describe the monsters that inhabit the mountainous island where Ulysses' ship docks.
4. How does Aphrodite plot to win the title of the fairest Goddess?
5. Why does Ulysses resist attacking the island village that his men spot from their ships?
6. How does Aeolus recognize Ulysses?
7. What story does Ulysses tell Aeolus, and in what way does Aeolus find it pleasing?
8. What mistake does Ulysses make once he and his men are safely on their ship having escaped Polyphemus?
9. Whom does Ulysses send to scout the Island of the Racing Sun? What happens to them?
10. What is the lotus-flower?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The gods play a major role in the novel The Adventures of Ulysses. Discuss how the gods' interference on Ulysses' journey affected the story.
Essay Topic 2
Poseidon continually seeks vengeance from Ulysses after the destruction of Troy. Discuss the theme of vengeance in The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 3
The Adventures of Ulysses is a retelling of the classic work The Odyssey. Discuss how well Evslin does at making the classic accessible to more people.
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)