|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is attracted to the treasures unloaded from the ships in the Greek's retreat?
2. What supply do the men run out of aboard Ulysses' ship in Section 4?
3. Which god does Ulysses meet as he travels to the castle?
4. Who are the people who live in the village in Section 2?
5. What does the god Ulysses meets give him in order to resist Circe's spell?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the Ciconians?
2. Describe the island Ulysses lands on in Section 6.
3. What mistake does Ulysses make once he and his men are safely on their ship having escaped Polyphemus?
4. What does Circe say Ulysses will have to do if he decided to leave her island?
5. How does Polyphemus trap the Hellenes?
6. What story does Ulysses tell Aeolus, and in what way does Aeolus find it pleasing?
7. Why do the ships led by Ulysses quickly begin to run low on food?
8. What is attracted to the baubles thrown from Ulysses' ships in their retreat from the island? Who is angered by this?
9. Whom does Ulysses send to scout the Island of the Racing Sun? What happens to them?
10. How does Aeolus recognize Ulysses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Adventures of Ulysses is set in the Bronze Age on the Aegean sea, Ithaca, Olympus, as well as a few other islands etc. Discuss the setting of the novel The Adventures of Ulysses and what effect the time and place of the story has on the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conclusion of the novel The Adventures of Ulysses. What is your opinion of the ending? Is it satisfactory? Is it surprising? Write an essay on your opinion of the ending of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Ulysses remains loyal to his crew and his wife, and they remain loyal to him. Discuss the theme of loyalty in the novel, The Adventures of Ulysses.
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)