|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who devises a plan to hide soldiers within a giant wooden horse?
2. With how many ships does Ulysses set sail?
3. What island do Ulysses and his men land at in Section 5?
4. What God is angered by the defeat of Troy?
5. What does Ulysses see from atop a tree in Section 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Morpheus? Who are his family members?
2. What heroic feat does Ulysses accomplish in Section 3?
3. Describe the island Ulysses lands on in Section 6.
4. What does Circe say Ulysses will have to do if he decided to leave her island?
5. Why does Ulysses resist attacking the island village that his men spot from their ships?
6. What spell does Circe cast on men? Why?
7. What favor does Aeolus grant Ulysses?
8. What plan does Ulysses devise that leads to the Greeks' victory over Troy?
9. How does Polyphemus trap the Hellenes?
10. What is the lotus-flower?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ulysses comes close to death on a number of occasions. He is also offered immortality but does not accept it. Discuss the theme of immortality in the novel The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 2
The Adventures of Ulysses is a retelling of the classic work The Odyssey. Discuss how well Evslin does at making the classic accessible to more people.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conclusion of the novel The Adventures of Ulysses. What is your opinion of the ending? Is it satisfactory? Is it surprising? Write an essay on your opinion of the ending of the novel.
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)