|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men are sent out to scout the island in Section 6?
2. What do the giants want with Ulysses' men?
3. What does Aeolus ask Ulysses for when he greets him on the island?
4. What does Ulysses see from atop a tree in Section 7?
5. Why can Aeolus not grant Ulysses a second favor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Circe say Ulysses will have to do if he decided to leave her island?
2. What spell does Circe cast on men? Why?
3. Eris is the Lady of Discord. Explain how she lives up to her title at the wedding of Peleus and Thetis.
4. What happens to two of Ulysses' ships on the Island of the Racing Sun?
5. How does Aphrodite plot to win the title of the fairest Goddess?
6. Why does Ulysses resist attacking the island village that his men spot from their ships?
7. Who is Morpheus? Who are his family members?
8. Describe the island Ulysses lands on in Section 6.
9. What do Eurylochus and his men discover at the castle?
10. How does Polyphemus trap the Hellenes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Every hero must be honorable. Discuss the theme of honor in the novel The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 2
Poseidon continually seeks vengeance from Ulysses after the destruction of Troy. Discuss the theme of vengeance in The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 3
The Adventures of Ulysses is an epic novel. Discuss the characteristics of an epic novel and why The Adventures of Ulysses is an example of one.
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)