|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Ulysses' men notice about the animals at the castle?
2. Who defeats Troy in an invasion?
3. What animal do the Hellenes hunt on the island?
4. What does Ulysses do to stop the attacking villagers from following his men?
5. What direction do Ulysses' ships sail in Section 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom does Ulysses send to scout the Island of the Racing Sun? What happens to them?
2. How does Polyphemus trap the Hellenes?
3. What do Eurylochus and his men discover at the castle?
4. Why does Ulysses resist attacking the island village that his men spot from their ships?
5. Who are the Ciconians?
6. What heroic feat does Ulysses accomplish in Section 3?
7. Describe the monsters that inhabit the mountainous island where Ulysses' ship docks.
8. Which god does Ulysses meet on his way to Circe's castle? What does this god offer Ulysses?
9. Who is Morpheus? Who are his family members?
10. What role does greed play in ruining Ulysses' return to Ithaca?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Adventures of Ulysses is set in the Bronze Age on the Aegean sea, Ithaca, Olympus, as well as a few other islands etc. Discuss the setting of the novel The Adventures of Ulysses and what effect the time and place of the story has on the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the two female characters Circe and Calypso.
Essay Topic 3
Ulysses tries to alter his fate, but one's fate is something decided by the gods and cannot be altered. Discuss the idea of fate in Greek mythology and how Ulysses is affected by his foretold future.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)