|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many ships does Ulysses bring the shore of the island in Section 6?
2. How is the island Ulysses lands on in Section 6 described?
3. Who is Morpheus?
4. How does Morpheus interfere with the Hellenes' dreams?
5. To whom does Eris intend to award the fruit at the wedding she attends uninvited?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Aphrodite plot to win the title of the fairest Goddess?
2. How does Aeolus recognize Ulysses?
3. What is the lotus-flower?
4. What story does Ulysses tell Aeolus, and in what way does Aeolus find it pleasing?
5. What does Ulysses climb in Section 6?
6. How do the Hellenes escape Polyphemus' cave?
7. What heroic feat does Ulysses accomplish in Section 3?
8. Whom does Ulysses send to scout the Island of the Racing Sun? What happens to them?
9. What references does Section 2 make to sacrifices to the Gods?
10. Who is Morpheus? Who are his family members?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of allusions to other Greek myths and gods in the story. Discuss the allusions found in the novel The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 2
Poseidon, on a number of occasions, tries to put an end to Ulysses' journey and life. Discuss Poseidon as the antagonist of the novel The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 3
The Adventures of Ulysses is set in the Bronze Age on the Aegean sea, Ithaca, Olympus, as well as a few other islands etc. Discuss the setting of the novel The Adventures of Ulysses and what effect the time and place of the story has on the plot.
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)