|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Hypnos?
2. Into what does Circe's spell turn Ulysses' men?
3. How many ships does Ulysses bring the shore of the island in Section 6?
4. How is the foliage of the tree Ulysses climbs described?
5. How many days does Ulysses guard the bag of winds without sleeping?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ulysses climb in Section 6?
2. What is the lotus-flower?
3. Who are the Ciconians?
4. Whom does Ulysses send to scout the Island of the Racing Sun? What happens to them?
5. Who is Morpheus? Who are his family members?
6. Describe the island Ulysses lands on in Section 6.
7. What story does Ulysses tell Aeolus, and in what way does Aeolus find it pleasing?
8. How do the Hellenes escape Polyphemus' cave?
9. What happens to two of Ulysses' ships on the Island of the Racing Sun?
10. What does Circe say Ulysses will have to do if he decided to leave her island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is a technique repeatedly used throughout the novel. Discuss Evslin's use of foreshadowing and how it affects the narrative in The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 2
The Adventures of Ulysses features a number of archetypes, such as the journey and the hero. Write an essay describing the archetypes found in the novel and the meanings behind them.
Essay Topic 3
The gods play a major role in the novel The Adventures of Ulysses. Discuss how the gods' interference on Ulysses' journey affected the story.
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)