|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the foliage of the tree Ulysses climbs described?
2. What does Aeolus ask Ulysses for when he greets him on the island?
3. Where do Ulysses' men sleep in Libya?
4. Who are the people who live in the village in Section 2?
5. What God is angered by the defeat of Troy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Morpheus? Who are his family members?
2. What does Ulysses climb in Section 6?
3. Whom does Ulysses send to scout the Island of the Racing Sun? What happens to them?
4. How does Eurylochus convince the crew to eat the sun-cattle?
5. Why do several of his men believe Ulysses killed Elpenor intentionally?
6. How does Calypso bring Ulysses to her island?
7. How does Athene protect Telemachus in Section 15?
8. Why do the suitors allow beggar Ulysses to participate in the archery contest?
9. How does Aphrodite plot to win the title of the fairest Goddess?
10. From her suitors, who does Ulysses advise Penelope she should choose as her husband?
Essay Topic 1
Poseidon continually hinders Ulysses' journey, while Athene continually helps it. Write an essay comparing and contrasting the roles of Poseidon and Athene in The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 2
Ulysses comes close to death on a number of occasions. He is also offered immortality but does not accept it. Discuss the theme of immortality in the novel The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is a technique repeatedly used throughout the novel. Discuss Evslin's use of foreshadowing and how it affects the narrative in The Adventures of Ulysses.
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)