|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who devises a plan to hide soldiers within a giant wooden horse?
2. How many men are in each of Ulysses' ships?
3. Who defeats Troy in an invasion?
4. What does Aeolus ask Ulysses for when he greets him on the island?
5. What is the Cyclops?
Short Essay Questions
1. What plan does Ulysses devise that leads to the Greeks' victory over Troy?
2. Why do the ships led by Ulysses quickly begin to run low on food?
3. What heroic feat does Ulysses accomplish in Section 3?
4. Why do several of his men believe Ulysses killed Elpenor intentionally?
5. Why does Ulysses resist attacking the island village that his men spot from their ships?
6. Why does Ulysses have his men tie him to the ship's mast as they pass through the strait of the Sirens?
7. How do the Hellenes escape Polyphemus' cave?
8. What references does Section 2 make to sacrifices to the Gods?
9. Why are two goats sacrificed when Ulysses and his men reach Tartarus?
10. What role does greed play in ruining Ulysses' return to Ithaca?
Essay Topic 1
Ulysses remains loyal to his crew and his wife, and they remain loyal to him. Discuss the theme of loyalty in the novel, The Adventures of Ulysses.
Essay Topic 2
The Adventures of Ulysses is an epic novel. Discuss the characteristics of an epic novel and why The Adventures of Ulysses is an example of one.
Essay Topic 3
Poseidon continually hinders Ulysses' journey, while Athene continually helps it. Write an essay comparing and contrasting the roles of Poseidon and Athene in The Adventures of Ulysses.
This section contains 1,234 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)