|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the Hellenes instructed not to eat by Teiresias?
(a) Fruit offered by maidens.
(b) Hyperion's golden cattle.
(c) Wild pigs.
(d) Fish from Poseidon's ocean.
2. What does Calypso turn the men into who she grows bored with?
3. How is Ulysses instructed to return Ino's veil to her?
(a) Take it to Mount Olympus.
(b) Ulysses is told not to return it.
(c) Throw it back into the water.
(d) Send it back to her with a gull.
4. How long does Ulysses drift at sea in Section 11?
(a) Thirty days.
(b) Ten days.
(c) Two months.
(d) Four months.
5. What does Ulysses throw which knocks a hole in the castle courtyard in Section 14?
(a) A table.
(b) A vase.
(c) A spear.
(d) A chariot wheel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Ulysses' men block their ears with to sail thought the strait of the Sirens?
2. What provision do Ulysses' men find in abundance on Thrinacia?
3. Who turned Scylla into a monster?
4. What do Nausicaa and the maidens play with at the river?
5. Why does Ino offer to help Ulysses in Section 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ulysses decide his crew should leave Thrinacia after their hunt is unsuccessful?
2. How does Princess Nausicaa get Ulysses to reveal his identity?
3. What obstacle does Ulysses encounter when he reaches the shore of Phaeacia?
4. Who was Charybdis before she is turned into a monster?
5. What happens when Poseidon returns from his vacation in Africa?
6. What effect does the sky have on Ulysses in Section 9?
7. Who is Ino? What is her motivation for helping Ulysses?
8. How does Calypso know that Ulysses is coming in Section 12?
9. How does Athene help Ulysses when he is on Calypso's island?
10. What warnings do the ghosts of Achilles and Ajax offer Ulysses?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)