|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What law does Queen Arete warn her husband against breaking by sacrificing Ulysses?
(a) The law of courtesy.
(b) The law of kindness.
(c) The law of hospitality.
(d) The law of friendship.
2. What stops the Hellenes from leaving Thrinacia?
(a) Damage to their ship.
(c) A storm.
(d) A sleeping spell.
3. Which god tells Zeus that Poseidon's treatment of Ulysses is unjust?
4. What bird do the Hellenes follow from their ship in Section 8?
(a) A dove.
(b) A crow.
(c) An eagle.
(d) A gull.
5. Who is Ulysses' mother?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Nausicaa's parents lose patience with her?
2. From a distance, what does Ulysses see floating in the water in Section 9?
3. What does Athene tell Nausicaa to do in her dream?
4. Through what device does Calypso watch Ulysses' journey?
5. What does Calypso claim to have turned Ulysses into when she saw him fall from his raft?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Nausicaa.
2. How does Athene intervene in Ulysses' journey once he has reached Phaeacia?
3. How does Ulysses trap food while he is adrift on the raft in Section 11?
4. How does Eurylochus convince the crew to eat the sun-cattle?
5. Why are two goats sacrificed when Ulysses and his men reach Tartarus?
6. What warnings do the ghosts of Achilles and Ajax offer Ulysses?
7. What happens when Poseidon returns from his vacation in Africa?
8. How does Calypso bring Ulysses to her island?
9. What effect does the sky have on Ulysses in Section 9?
10. What obstacle does Ulysses encounter when he reaches the shore of Phaeacia?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)