|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who warns Ulysses in Section 8 that he will encounter the Sirens?
2. What does the physical appearance of the Sirens cause Ulysses' men to do?
(a) Stop rowing.
(b) Row slower.
(c) Row faster.
(d) Row toward the coast.
3. Which of his crewmembers does Ulysses accidentally kill?
4. How many of Ulysses' men are taken by Scylla?
5. What do Ulysses' men block their ears with to sail thought the strait of the Sirens?
(c) Tree sap.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Hyperion?
2. What does Ulysses throw which knocks a hole in the castle courtyard in Section 14?
3. How did Charybdis anger Zeus?
4. In Section 13, how many days is Ulysses at sea before Poseidon's return from vacation?
5. Why does Ino offer to help Ulysses in Section 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Calypso bring Ulysses to her island?
2. How does Princess Nausicaa get Ulysses to reveal his identity?
3. What does the ghost of Elpenor warn Ulysses about?
4. Why does Ulysses have his men tie him to the ship's mast as they pass through the strait of the Sirens?
5. What warnings do the ghosts of Achilles and Ajax offer Ulysses?
6. Who was Charybdis before she is turned into a monster?
7. How does Athene intervene in Ulysses' journey once he has reached Phaeacia?
8. What obstacle does Ulysses' ship encounter on its journey toward Ithaca in Section 9?
9. How does Calypso know that Ulysses is coming in Section 12?
10. How does Ulysses trap food while he is adrift on the raft in Section 11?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)