|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Section 8, what does the sea slope and narrow to become?
(b) A passage to Ithaca.
(c) The River Styx.
(d) The strait of the Sirens.
2. What does Athene do when Ulysses departs from Phaeacia?
(a) Athene makes the winds blow so that the trip is quickened.
(b) Athene travels with him disguised as a servant.
(c) Athene warns Poseidon not to interfere.
(d) Athene drugs Poseidon.
3. Who is Nausicaa's father?
(a) King Icarus.
(b) King Alcinous.
(c) King Cepheus.
4. Who is Nausicaa?
(a) A princess of Phaeacia.
(b) A goddess.
(c) A travelling songstress.
(d) A servant girl.
5. How did Charybdis anger Zeus?
(a) By insulting Hera.
(b) By claiming land for her father.
(c) By falling in love with a mortal.
(d) By spurning Zeus' affections.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who besides Ulysses survives the destruction of the ship?
2. What provision do Ulysses' men find in abundance on Thrinacia?
3. What is unique about the rocks that Ulysses' ship encounters in Section 9?
4. Where does Ulysses swim to in Section 13?
5. What form does the monster Charybdis take?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does the physical appearance of the Sirens have on Ulysses' men?
2. How do the floating rocks lead Ulysses to fulfill Teiresias' prophesy?
3. What does Ulysses learn from a crow of his wife, Penelope, back in Ithaca?
4. How does Calypso know that Ulysses is coming in Section 12?
5. How does Ulysses trap food while he is adrift on the raft in Section 11?
6. Who is Ino? What is her motivation for helping Ulysses?
7. Who was Charybdis before she is turned into a monster?
8. How does Eurylochus convince the crew to eat the sun-cattle?
9. What warnings do the ghosts of Achilles and Ajax offer Ulysses?
10. What is said to have happened to Nausicaa after Ulysses' departure?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)