|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Nausicaa's parents lose patience with her?
(a) Nausicaa spends all of her time playing.
(b) Nausicaa does not heed the gods.
(c) Nausicaa spends too much gold.
(d) Nausicaa turns down all of her suitors.
2. How old is Nausicaa?
(a) Sixteen years old.
(b) Twenty-four years old.
(c) Ten years old.
(d) Twenty years old.
3. Who turned Scylla into a monster?
4. What do the rocks in Section 9 prevent Ulysses and his crew from doing?
(a) Sailing to the east.
(b) Docking at an island.
(c) Sailing to the south sea.
(d) Sailing to the north.
5. Who besides Ulysses survives the destruction of the ship?
(c) An unnamed sailor.
(d) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Charybdis before she angered Zeus?
2. Who is Nausicaa?
3. What is Ulysses hopeful of as he and his men sail away from Tartarus?
4. What do the faces of the Sirens look like?
5. What does Ulysses hold Eurylochus and Perimedes responsible for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ulysses learn from a crow of his wife, Penelope, back in Ithaca?
2. How does Athene help Ulysses when he is on Calypso's island?
3. How does Eurylochus convince the crew to eat the sun-cattle?
4. How does Princess Nausicaa get Ulysses to reveal his identity?
5. What does the ghost of Elpenor warn Ulysses about?
6. In Section 9, why does Ulysses order his men to sail straight to Ithaca?
7. How does Ulysses trap food while he is adrift on the raft in Section 11?
8. What fate befalls Ulysses' ship when he sets sail from Thrinacia?
9. What is said to have happened to Nausicaa after Ulysses' departure?
10. What tool does Ino lend Ulysses to help him swim?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)