|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Teiresias?
(a) A prophet.
(b) A fallen soldier.
(c) A god.
(d) A king.
2. What does Ulysses find after swimming along the coast in Section 13?
(a) A waterfall.
(b) A whirlpool.
(c) A cove.
(d) A river.
3. Where does Ulysses believe he is when he awakes in Section 12?
(c) In the Elysian Fields.
4. What is unique about the rocks that Ulysses' ship encounters in Section 9?
(a) The rocks fly.
(b) The rocks are liquid.
(c) The rocks float.
(d) The rocks glow.
5. What are the Hellenes instructed not to eat by Teiresias?
(a) Wild pigs.
(b) Fish from Poseidon's ocean.
(c) Hyperion's golden cattle.
(d) Fruit offered by maidens.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Section 8, what does the sea slope and narrow to become?
2. What does Poseidon call up when he sees Ulysses at sea in Section 13?
3. What is Ulysses hopeful of as he and his men sail away from Tartarus?
4. How is Ulysses' ship driven through the strait of the Sirens?
5. Who does Hyperion request vengeance from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Calypso bring Ulysses to her island?
2. Why does Ulysses decide his crew should leave Thrinacia after their hunt is unsuccessful?
3. Who is Ino? What is her motivation for helping Ulysses?
4. In Section 9, why does Ulysses order his men to sail straight to Ithaca?
5. Why are two goats sacrificed when Ulysses and his men reach Tartarus?
6. What does the ghost of Elpenor warn Ulysses about?
7. Who is Scylla before she is turned into a monster?
8. Why do several of his men believe Ulysses killed Elpenor intentionally?
9. What does Ulysses learn from a crow of his wife, Penelope, back in Ithaca?
10. Describe Nausicaa.
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)