|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color are the skies in Section 9?
2. Who is Nausicaa?
(a) A princess of Phaeacia.
(b) A travelling songstress.
(c) A servant girl.
(d) A goddess.
3. What direction is Ulysses forced to sail due to the rocks in Section 9?
(c) South by Southeast.
(d) North by Northwest.
4. What does Ulysses send to Ithaca in Section 12 to bring him a report about his wife and son?
(a) A gull.
(b) A crow.
(c) An eagle.
(d) A dove.
5. What plant does Ulysses rest amongst after reaching land in Section 13?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the Hellenes instructed not to eat by Teiresias?
2. What demand is being made on Penelope in Ithaca?
3. What is Ulysses tricked into believing his men are eating in Section 11?
4. What is the only animal Ulysses' men hunt successfully in Thrinacia?
5. What destroys Ulysses' ship as it sails away from Thrinacia?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the floating rocks lead Ulysses to fulfill Teiresias' prophesy?
2. What effect does the sky have on Ulysses in Section 9?
3. Describe Nausicaa.
4. Why do several of his men believe Ulysses killed Elpenor intentionally?
5. How does Ulysses trap food while he is adrift on the raft in Section 11?
6. How does Athene intervene in Ulysses' journey once he has reached Phaeacia?
7. What does the ghost of Elpenor warn Ulysses about?
8. Who was Charybdis before she is turned into a monster?
9. What effect does the physical appearance of the Sirens have on Ulysses' men?
10. How does Princess Nausicaa get Ulysses to reveal his identity?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)