|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animals are sacrificed so that Ulysses may talk to the dead?
2. What does Poseidon call up when he sees Ulysses at sea in Section 13?
(a) A strong current.
(b) A gale.
(c) A storm.
(d) A tidal wave.
3. Who turned Scylla into a monster?
4. Which of his crewmembers does Ulysses accidentally kill?
5. Who besides Ulysses survives the destruction of the ship?
(a) An unnamed sailor.
(d) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. What direction is Ulysses forced to sail due to the rocks in Section 9?
2. What is the only animal Ulysses' men hunt successfully in Thrinacia?
3. What insect does the monster Scylla resemble?
4. Who is Teiresias?
5. Why does Ino offer to help Ulysses in Section 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Nausicaa.
2. How does Athene help Ulysses when he is on Calypso's island?
3. What does Ulysses learn from a crow of his wife, Penelope, back in Ithaca?
4. In Section 9, why does Ulysses order his men to sail straight to Ithaca?
5. How does Athene intervene in Ulysses' journey once he has reached Phaeacia?
6. Why are two goats sacrificed when Ulysses and his men reach Tartarus?
7. How does Eurylochus convince the crew to eat the sun-cattle?
8. Who was Charybdis before she is turned into a monster?
9. How do the floating rocks lead Ulysses to fulfill Teiresias' prophesy?
10. What does the ghost of Elpenor warn Ulysses about?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)