|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From a distance, what does Ulysses see floating in the water in Section 9?
(a) Black things.
(b) Green things.
(c) Brown things.
(d) White things.
2. What is Thrinacia also known as?
(a) The Isle of Fire.
(b) The Isle of Dawn.
(c) The Isle of Dragons.
(d) The Isle of the Sun.
3. How did Charybdis anger Zeus?
(a) By spurning Zeus' affections.
(b) By insulting Hera.
(c) By falling in love with a mortal.
(d) By claiming land for her father.
4. What do the Sirens enchant men with?
(a) Their voices.
(b) Their eyes.
(c) Their appearances.
(d) Their perfume.
5. When Ulysses' identity is discovered in Section 14, what favor does he ask of the king?
(a) For a message to be sent to his wife.
(b) For his daughter's hand in marriage.
(c) For the friendship of Phaeacia.
(d) For a ship to take him home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ino?
2. Who warns Ulysses in Section 8 that he will encounter the Sirens?
3. Where does Ulysses swim to in Section 13?
4. Who is Hyperion?
5. What does Poseidon call up when he sees Ulysses at sea in Section 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Nausicaa.
2. What does the ghost of Elpenor warn Ulysses about?
3. How does Calypso bring Ulysses to her island?
4. In Section 9, why does Ulysses order his men to sail straight to Ithaca?
5. Who is Scylla before she is turned into a monster?
6. What fate befalls Ulysses' ship when he sets sail from Thrinacia?
7. Who is Ino? What is her motivation for helping Ulysses?
8. What tool does Ino lend Ulysses to help him swim?
9. How does Princess Nausicaa get Ulysses to reveal his identity?
10. Why does Ulysses decide his crew should leave Thrinacia after their hunt is unsuccessful?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)