|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Ulysses warned he would find his son upon his return home?
(a) Lost at sea.
(b) Suffering illness.
(c) Being held captive.
2. Where does Ulysses swim to in Section 13?
3. What do Ulysses' men block their ears with to sail thought the strait of the Sirens?
(b) Tree sap.
4. What special ability does Calypso have?
(a) Calypso can communicate telepathically.
(b) Calypso can control the tides.
(c) Calypso can see the past and future.
(d) Calypso can control peoples' minds.
5. What does Athene tell Nausicaa to do in her dream?
(a) Defy her parents.
(b) Throw a banquet.
(c) Sing songs of war.
(d) Wash clothes at the river.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Charybdis anger Zeus?
2. Who is Ulysses' mother?
3. What does Calypso claim to have turned Ulysses into when she saw him fall from his raft?
4. What does Ulysses find after swimming along the coast in Section 13?
5. What does Calypso turn the men into who she grows bored with?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Section 9, why does Ulysses order his men to sail straight to Ithaca?
2. How does Eurylochus convince the crew to eat the sun-cattle?
3. What obstacle does Ulysses encounter when he reaches the shore of Phaeacia?
4. What obstacle does Ulysses' ship encounter on its journey toward Ithaca in Section 9?
5. What does the ghost of Elpenor warn Ulysses about?
6. What effect does the physical appearance of the Sirens have on Ulysses' men?
7. Why does Ulysses have his men tie him to the ship's mast as they pass through the strait of the Sirens?
8. How does Calypso bring Ulysses to her island?
9. What does Ulysses learn from a crow of his wife, Penelope, back in Ithaca?
10. Why are two goats sacrificed when Ulysses and his men reach Tartarus?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)