|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elpenor instruct Ulysses to avoid so that he does not lose his entire crew?
(a) The monster Scylla.
(b) The monster cyberus.
(c) The monster Charybdis.
(d) The Cyclops monsters.
2. How is Ulysses' ship driven through the strait of the Sirens?
(a) By Poseidon.
(b) By oar.
(c) By a current.
(d) By the wind.
3. How old is Nausicaa?
(a) Twenty-four years old.
(b) Sixteen years old.
(c) Ten years old.
(d) Twenty years old.
4. What does Calypso claim to have turned Ulysses into when she saw him fall from his raft?
(a) A fish.
(b) An otter.
(c) A dragonfly.
(d) A bird.
5. Who is Ulysses' mother?
Short Answer Questions
1. What law does Queen Arete warn her husband against breaking by sacrificing Ulysses?
2. What destroys Ulysses' ship as it sails away from Thrinacia?
3. What animals are sacrificed so that Ulysses may talk to the dead?
4. What does Ulysses awake upon in Section 12?
5. Who is Hyperion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the ghost of Elpenor warn Ulysses about?
2. How do the floating rocks lead Ulysses to fulfill Teiresias' prophesy?
3. Why do several of his men believe Ulysses killed Elpenor intentionally?
4. How does Calypso know that Ulysses is coming in Section 12?
5. What does Ulysses learn from a crow of his wife, Penelope, back in Ithaca?
6. Why are two goats sacrificed when Ulysses and his men reach Tartarus?
7. Who is Ino? What is her motivation for helping Ulysses?
8. What obstacle does Ulysses encounter when he reaches the shore of Phaeacia?
9. What warnings do the ghosts of Achilles and Ajax offer Ulysses?
10. What is said to have happened to Nausicaa after Ulysses' departure?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)