|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the color of the sky affect Ulysses' mood in Section 9?
(a) Ulysses becomes vengeful.
(b) Ulysses' spirits are dampened.
(c) Ulysses' spirits are lifted.
(d) Ulysses becomes fearful.
2. What are the bodies of the Sirens like?
3. What is Ulysses tricked into believing his men are eating in Section 11?
(a) Wild pig.
4. What plant does Ulysses rest amongst after reaching land in Section 13?
5. How did Charybdis anger Zeus?
(a) By claiming land for her father.
(b) By falling in love with a mortal.
(c) By insulting Hera.
(d) By spurning Zeus' affections.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who turned Scylla into a monster?
2. What law does Queen Arete warn her husband against breaking by sacrificing Ulysses?
3. Who is sent to Ogygia to tell Calypso to release Ulysses?
4. Through what device does Calypso watch Ulysses' journey?
5. How many of Ulysses' men are taken by Scylla?
Short Essay Questions
1. What fate befalls Ulysses' ship when he sets sail from Thrinacia?
2. How does Calypso know that Ulysses is coming in Section 12?
3. What tool does Ino lend Ulysses to help him swim?
4. Why does Ulysses have his men tie him to the ship's mast as they pass through the strait of the Sirens?
5. How does Athene intervene in Ulysses' journey once he has reached Phaeacia?
6. How does Calypso bring Ulysses to her island?
7. In Section 9, why does Ulysses order his men to sail straight to Ithaca?
8. What happens when Poseidon returns from his vacation in Africa?
9. What obstacle does Ulysses' ship encounter on its journey toward Ithaca in Section 9?
10. What does the ghost of Elpenor warn Ulysses about?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)