|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where has Poseidon been vacationing?
2. What does the physical appearance of the Sirens cause Ulysses' men to do?
(a) Stop rowing.
(b) Row faster.
(c) Row toward the coast.
(d) Row slower.
3. What does Ulysses hold Eurylochus and Perimedes responsible for?
(a) Guarding the ship.
(b) The safety of the sun-cattle.
(c) Collecting water.
(d) Hunting for food.
4. Who does Ulysses think Nausicaa is?
(c) His wife.
5. Who do some say Nausicaa eventually falls in love with?
(a) A blind poet.
(b) A travelling musician.
(c) A lonely prince.
(d) A hero of the Trojan war.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of Ulysses' men are taken by Scylla?
2. What does Ulysses awake upon in Section 12?
3. Who is Nausicaa?
4. What is Ulysses hopeful of as he and his men sail away from Tartarus?
5. Where do the Hellenes attempt to sail directly to following Ulysses' order?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ulysses trap food while he is adrift on the raft in Section 11?
2. How does Calypso know that Ulysses is coming in Section 12?
3. Why do several of his men believe Ulysses killed Elpenor intentionally?
4. Who is Scylla before she is turned into a monster?
5. Why does Ulysses decide his crew should leave Thrinacia after their hunt is unsuccessful?
6. What does Ulysses learn from a crow of his wife, Penelope, back in Ithaca?
7. In Section 9, why does Ulysses order his men to sail straight to Ithaca?
8. What fate befalls Ulysses' ship when he sets sail from Thrinacia?
9. What happens when Poseidon returns from his vacation in Africa?
10. How does Athene intervene in Ulysses' journey once he has reached Phaeacia?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)