|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What strange noise does Ulysses hear in Section 9?
2. Where does Ulysses believe he is when he awakes in Section 12?
(d) In the Elysian Fields.
3. What do the rocks in Section 9 prevent Ulysses and his crew from doing?
(a) Sailing to the north.
(b) Sailing to the south sea.
(c) Sailing to the east.
(d) Docking at an island.
4. How long are the Hellenes stuck at Thrinacia?
(a) Six months.
(b) Thirty days.
(c) Two months.
(d) Fourteen days.
5. What is special about Ino's veil?
(a) It flies.
(b) It has a sense of direction.
(c) It does not sink.
(d) It wards off sharks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ulysses send to Ithaca in Section 12 to bring him a report about his wife and son?
2. How is Ulysses warned he would find his son upon his return home?
3. What color are the skies in Section 9?
4. What is Ulysses hopeful of as he and his men sail away from Tartarus?
5. What does Ulysses find after swimming along the coast in Section 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Eurylochus convince the crew to eat the sun-cattle?
2. Why does Ulysses have his men tie him to the ship's mast as they pass through the strait of the Sirens?
3. Who is Ino? What is her motivation for helping Ulysses?
4. How does Calypso bring Ulysses to her island?
5. What tool does Ino lend Ulysses to help him swim?
6. In Section 9, why does Ulysses order his men to sail straight to Ithaca?
7. What effect does the physical appearance of the Sirens have on Ulysses' men?
8. What obstacle does Ulysses encounter when he reaches the shore of Phaeacia?
9. What does Ulysses learn from a crow of his wife, Penelope, back in Ithaca?
10. Why do several of his men believe Ulysses killed Elpenor intentionally?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)