|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Hyperion request vengeance from?
2. What does Calypso turn the men into who she grows bored with?
3. In which direction do Ulysses and his men sail at the beginning of Section 8?
4. When Ulysses' identity is discovered in Section 14, what favor does he ask of the king?
(a) For a message to be sent to his wife.
(b) For a ship to take him home.
(c) For his daughter's hand in marriage.
(d) For the friendship of Phaeacia.
5. What do Ulysses' men block their ears with to sail thought the strait of the Sirens?
(b) Tree sap.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Athene do when Ulysses departs from Phaeacia?
2. What will Thrinacia one day be known as?
3. What birds does Ulysses catch by pretending to be dead?
4. What is Thrinacia also known as?
5. What does Calypso claim to have turned Ulysses into when she saw him fall from his raft?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Ino? What is her motivation for helping Ulysses?
2. How does Athene intervene in Ulysses' journey once he has reached Phaeacia?
3. What effect does the physical appearance of the Sirens have on Ulysses' men?
4. How does Calypso know that Ulysses is coming in Section 12?
5. What effect does the sky have on Ulysses in Section 9?
6. How does Athene help Ulysses when he is on Calypso's island?
7. What tool does Ino lend Ulysses to help him swim?
8. What obstacle does Ulysses encounter when he reaches the shore of Phaeacia?
9. Who was Charybdis before she is turned into a monster?
10. What is said to have happened to Nausicaa after Ulysses' departure?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)