|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elpenor instruct Ulysses to avoid so that he does not lose his entire crew?
(a) The monster Scylla.
(b) The monster Charybdis.
(c) The Cyclops monsters.
(d) The monster cyberus.
2. Who does Ulysses think Nausicaa is?
(a) His wife.
3. What direction is Ulysses forced to sail due to the rocks in Section 9?
(a) South by Southeast.
(d) North by Northwest.
4. Which of his crewmembers does Ulysses accidentally kill?
5. Who warns Ulysses in Section 8 that he will encounter the Sirens?
Short Answer Questions
1. What birds does Ulysses catch by pretending to be dead?
2. What does Ulysses know he will encounter by heading toward Thrinacia?
3. How old is Nausicaa?
4. How many of Ulysses' men are taken by Scylla?
5. What does Calypso turn the men into who she grows bored with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Nausicaa.
2. In Section 9, why does Ulysses order his men to sail straight to Ithaca?
3. What effect does the physical appearance of the Sirens have on Ulysses' men?
4. What effect does the sky have on Ulysses in Section 9?
5. What fate befalls Ulysses' ship when he sets sail from Thrinacia?
6. Why do several of his men believe Ulysses killed Elpenor intentionally?
7. How do the floating rocks lead Ulysses to fulfill Teiresias' prophesy?
8. How does Calypso know that Ulysses is coming in Section 12?
9. What obstacle does Ulysses' ship encounter on its journey toward Ithaca in Section 9?
10. What does Ulysses learn from a crow of his wife, Penelope, back in Ithaca?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)