|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long are the Hellenes stuck at Thrinacia?
(a) Fourteen days.
(b) Two months.
(c) Six months.
(d) Thirty days.
2. What insect does the monster Scylla resemble?
(a) A centipede.
(b) A scorpion.
(c) A moth.
(d) A spider.
3. Who does Hyperion request vengeance from?
4. What do the rocks in Section 9 prevent Ulysses and his crew from doing?
(a) Docking at an island.
(b) Sailing to the east.
(c) Sailing to the north.
(d) Sailing to the south sea.
5. Who is Hyperion?
(a) The Sun-Titan.
(b) The Ocean-Titan.
(c) The God of Dawn.
(d) The God of Sleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. What destroys Ulysses' ship as it sails away from Thrinacia?
2. Where does Ulysses believe he is when he awakes in Section 12?
3. What does Calypso claim to have turned Ulysses into when she saw him fall from his raft?
4. What do the Sirens enchant men with?
5. How many days does Ulysses swim for in Section 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is said to have happened to Nausicaa after Ulysses' departure?
2. What does the ghost of Elpenor warn Ulysses about?
3. How does Calypso know that Ulysses is coming in Section 12?
4. In Section 9, why does Ulysses order his men to sail straight to Ithaca?
5. Why do several of his men believe Ulysses killed Elpenor intentionally?
6. Who is Ino? What is her motivation for helping Ulysses?
7. What fate befalls Ulysses' ship when he sets sail from Thrinacia?
8. Who was Charybdis before she is turned into a monster?
9. What does Ulysses learn from a crow of his wife, Penelope, back in Ithaca?
10. How does Athene help Ulysses when he is on Calypso's island?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)