|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Pulyphemus trap the Hellenes?
(a) In a cave.
(b) In a hut.
(c) By a river.
(d) Within a ditch.
2. What animals are outside the island's castle?
(a) Wolves and lions.
(b) Horses and Zebras.
(c) Stags and foxes.
(d) Goats and sheep.
3. Who is kidnapped by Paris?
4. What is the island that Ulysses lands his ship on in Section 4 like?
(a) Foggy and cold.
(c) A flat barren plain.
(d) Covered in thick jungle.
5. What is the Cyclops?
(a) A monster two heads.
(b) A monster with the head of a bull.
(c) A monster with hair made of serpents.
(d) A monster with one eye.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the people who live in the village in Section 2?
2. What fruit does Eris bring with her to the wedding she attends uninvited?
3. What supply do the men run out of aboard Ulysses' ship in Section 4?
4. How many Hellenes does Polyphemus eat?
5. What does Aeolus send to set Ulysses' ships off course?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the Ciconians?
2. What spell does Circe cast on men? Why?
3. What references does Section 2 make to sacrifices to the Gods?
4. What story does Ulysses tell Aeolus, and in what way does Aeolus find it pleasing?
5. Eris is the Lady of Discord. Explain how she lives up to her title at the wedding of Peleus and Thetis.
6. What does Ulysses dream about while docked in Libya?
7. What favor does Aeolus grant Ulysses?
8. Describe the island Ulysses lands on in Section 6.
9. What is attracted to the baubles thrown from Ulysses' ships in their retreat from the island? Who is angered by this?
10. Why do the ships led by Ulysses quickly begin to run low on food?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)