|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Section 11, who suggests Ullyses' men should eat the sun-cattle?
(d) Athene, in a dream.
2. What is Thrinacia also known as?
(a) The Isle of Dawn.
(b) The Isle of the Sun.
(c) The Isle of Dragons.
(d) The Isle of Fire.
3. How did Charybdis anger Zeus?
(a) By falling in love with a mortal.
(b) By claiming land for her father.
(c) By insulting Hera.
(d) By spurning Zeus' affections.
4. What do Nausicaa and the maidens play with at the river?
(a) A dog.
(b) A feather.
(c) A ball.
5. Who do some say Nausicaa eventually falls in love with?
(a) A travelling musician.
(b) A lonely prince.
(c) A blind poet.
(d) A hero of the Trojan war.
6. How old is Nausicaa?
(a) Ten years old.
(b) Twenty years old.
(c) Twenty-four years old.
(d) Sixteen years old.
7. What strange noise does Ulysses hear in Section 9?
8. What does Ulysses send to Ithaca in Section 12 to bring him a report about his wife and son?
(a) A crow.
(b) A gull.
(c) A dove.
(d) An eagle.
9. What does Elpenor instruct Ulysses to avoid so that he does not lose his entire crew?
(a) The Cyclops monsters.
(b) The monster Scylla.
(c) The monster Charybdis.
(d) The monster cyberus.
10. How does the color of the sky affect Ulysses' mood in Section 9?
(a) Ulysses becomes vengeful.
(b) Ulysses' spirits are lifted.
(c) Ulysses becomes fearful.
(d) Ulysses' spirits are dampened.
11. Why does Ino offer to help Ulysses in Section 13?
(a) Ino hates Poseidon.
(b) Ino loves humans.
(c) Ino respects Ulysses for his heroics in the Trojan war.
(d) Ino expects a favor in return for her help.
12. When Ulysses' identity is discovered in Section 14, what favor does he ask of the king?
(a) For the friendship of Phaeacia.
(b) For a ship to take him home.
(c) For his daughter's hand in marriage.
(d) For a message to be sent to his wife.
13. Who besides Ulysses survives the destruction of the ship?
(c) No one.
(d) An unnamed sailor.
14. In Section 8, what does the sea slope and narrow to become?
(a) The strait of the Sirens.
(b) The River Styx.
(d) A passage to Ithaca.
15. Who turned Scylla into a monster?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hyperion request vengeance from?
2. What bird do the Hellenes follow from their ship in Section 8?
3. What does Ulysses know he will encounter by heading toward Thrinacia?
4. What does Poseidon call up when he sees Ulysses at sea in Section 13?
5. In Section 13, how many days is Ulysses at sea before Poseidon's return from vacation?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)