|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What destroys Ulysses' ship as it sails away from Thrinacia?
(a) A storm.
(b) The west wind.
(c) A tidal wave.
(d) A whirlpool.
2. What does Ulysses send to Ithaca in Section 12 to bring him a report about his wife and son?
(a) A crow.
(b) A gull.
(c) A dove.
(d) An eagle.
3. Who warns Ulysses in Section 8 that he will encounter the Sirens?
4. How did Charybdis anger Zeus?
(a) By falling in love with a mortal.
(b) By claiming land for her father.
(c) By insulting Hera.
(d) By spurning Zeus' affections.
5. What does Calypso say Ulysses is in time for when waking up in Ogygia the second time?
(a) Ulysses' welcoming party.
(b) Ulysses' funeral.
(c) Ulysses' wedding feast.
(d) The wedding of Ulysses' wife.
6. Who turned Scylla into a monster?
7. What color are the skies in Section 9?
8. Where does Ulysses believe he is when he awakes in Section 12?
(c) In the Elysian Fields.
9. Who is Teiresias?
(a) A king.
(b) A god.
(c) A prophet.
(d) A fallen soldier.
10. What are the bodies of the Sirens like?
11. What is Ulysses tricked into believing his men are eating in Section 11?
(d) Wild pig.
12. What does Ulysses throw which knocks a hole in the castle courtyard in Section 14?
(a) A chariot wheel.
(b) A spear.
(c) A table.
(d) A vase.
13. Why does Ino offer to help Ulysses in Section 13?
(a) Ino hates Poseidon.
(b) Ino respects Ulysses for his heroics in the Trojan war.
(c) Ino loves humans.
(d) Ino expects a favor in return for her help.
14. How is Ulysses instructed to return Ino's veil to her?
(a) Throw it back into the water.
(b) Ulysses is told not to return it.
(c) Send it back to her with a gull.
(d) Take it to Mount Olympus.
15. Who do some say Nausicaa eventually falls in love with?
(a) A hero of the Trojan war.
(b) A blind poet.
(c) A lonely prince.
(d) A travelling musician.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Hyperion?
2. What bird do the Hellenes follow from their ship in Section 8?
3. Who besides Ulysses survives the destruction of the ship?
4. In Section 11, who suggests Ullyses' men should eat the sun-cattle?
5. Who does Ulysses think Nausicaa is?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)