|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From a distance, what does Ulysses see floating in the water in Section 9?
(a) Brown things.
(b) Green things.
(c) White things.
(d) Black things.
2. Where do the Hellenes attempt to sail directly to following Ulysses' order?
3. What strange noise does Ulysses hear in Section 9?
4. What law does Queen Arete warn her husband against breaking by sacrificing Ulysses?
(a) The law of kindness.
(b) The law of hospitality.
(c) The law of courtesy.
(d) The law of friendship.
5. In which direction do Ulysses and his men sail at the beginning of Section 8?
6. What is Ulysses tricked into believing his men are eating in Section 11?
(c) Wild pig.
7. Who turned Scylla into a monster?
8. What does Ulysses send to Ithaca in Section 12 to bring him a report about his wife and son?
(a) A crow.
(b) A dove.
(c) A gull.
(d) An eagle.
9. What does Athene do when Ulysses departs from Phaeacia?
(a) Athene drugs Poseidon.
(b) Athene makes the winds blow so that the trip is quickened.
(c) Athene travels with him disguised as a servant.
(d) Athene warns Poseidon not to interfere.
10. What are the bodies of the Sirens like?
11. Who is sent to Ogygia to tell Calypso to release Ulysses?
12. What direction is Ulysses forced to sail due to the rocks in Section 9?
(a) North by Northwest.
(c) South by Southeast.
13. Who is Nausicaa's father?
(a) King Cepheus.
(c) King Alcinous.
(d) King Icarus.
14. What does the physical appearance of the Sirens cause Ulysses' men to do?
(a) Row faster.
(b) Row slower.
(c) Row toward the coast.
(d) Stop rowing.
15. What special ability does Calypso have?
(a) Calypso can see the past and future.
(b) Calypso can control the tides.
(c) Calypso can communicate telepathically.
(d) Calypso can control peoples' minds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What insect does the monster Scylla resemble?
2. Who do some say Nausicaa eventually falls in love with?
3. What is unique about the rocks that Ulysses' ship encounters in Section 9?
4. Through what device does Calypso watch Ulysses' journey?
5. Who is Nausicaa?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)