|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What bird do the Hellenes follow from their ship in Section 8?
(a) A gull.
(b) An eagle.
(c) A crow.
(d) A dove.
2. Who besides Ulysses survives the destruction of the ship?
(b) No one.
(d) An unnamed sailor.
3. In which direction do Ulysses and his men sail at the beginning of Section 8?
4. What form does the monster Charybdis take?
(a) A tempest.
(b) A giant.
(c) A serpent.
(d) A whirlpool.
5. What does the physical appearance of the Sirens cause Ulysses' men to do?
(a) Row toward the coast.
(b) Row faster.
(c) Row slower.
(d) Stop rowing.
6. Through what device does Calypso watch Ulysses' journey?
(a) A magical fire.
(b) A magical mirror.
(c) A magical basin.
(d) A magical tablet.
7. What is Ulysses hopeful of as he and his men sail away from Tartarus?
(a) That he can avoid the tragedies he has been warned about.
(b) That the gods will help him from now on.
(c) That he will find more provisions for his men.
(d) That he will soon be home.
8. Who is sent to Ogygia to tell Calypso to release Ulysses?
9. How is Ulysses instructed to return Ino's veil to her?
(a) Ulysses is told not to return it.
(b) Throw it back into the water.
(c) Take it to Mount Olympus.
(d) Send it back to her with a gull.
10. How many of Ulysses' men are taken by Scylla?
11. What destroys Ulysses' ship as it sails away from Thrinacia?
(a) A storm.
(b) The west wind.
(c) A whirlpool.
(d) A tidal wave.
12. Where does Ulysses swim to in Section 13?
13. What stops the Hellenes from leaving Thrinacia?
(b) Damage to their ship.
(c) A sleeping spell.
(d) A storm.
14. What do Ulysses' men block their ears with to sail thought the strait of the Sirens?
(c) Tree sap.
15. How long are the Hellenes stuck at Thrinacia?
(a) Thirty days.
(b) Two months.
(c) Fourteen days.
(d) Six months.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Thrinacia also known as?
2. Which god tells Zeus that Poseidon's treatment of Ulysses is unjust?
3. Why does Ino offer to help Ulysses in Section 13?
4. Where has Poseidon been vacationing?
5. What will Thrinacia one day be known as?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)