|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Ulysses' ship driven through the strait of the Sirens?
(a) By a current.
(b) By the wind.
(c) By oar.
(d) By Poseidon.
2. What direction is Ulysses forced to sail due to the rocks in Section 9?
(a) South by Southeast.
(b) North by Northwest.
3. What is special about Ino's veil?
(a) It does not sink.
(b) It has a sense of direction.
(c) It wards off sharks.
(d) It flies.
4. How long does Ulysses drift at sea in Section 11?
(a) Thirty days.
(b) Two months.
(c) Ten days.
(d) Four months.
5. What plant does Ulysses rest amongst after reaching land in Section 13?
6. What will Thrinacia one day be known as?
7. What animals are sacrificed so that Ulysses may talk to the dead?
8. Who is Hyperion?
(a) The Ocean-Titan.
(b) The God of Sleep.
(c) The Sun-Titan.
(d) The God of Dawn.
9. Who is Ino?
(a) A sorceress.
(b) A goddess.
(c) A mermaid.
(d) A naiad.
10. In Section 13, how many days is Ulysses at sea before Poseidon's return from vacation?
(a) Seventeen days.
(b) Thirty days.
(c) Forty days.
(d) Ten days.
11. Where does Ulysses swim to in Section 13?
12. Who turned Scylla into a monster?
13. Why does Ino offer to help Ulysses in Section 13?
(a) Ino expects a favor in return for her help.
(b) Ino respects Ulysses for his heroics in the Trojan war.
(c) Ino hates Poseidon.
(d) Ino loves humans.
14. What destroys Ulysses' ship as it sails away from Thrinacia?
(a) A storm.
(b) The west wind.
(c) A whirlpool.
(d) A tidal wave.
15. Who besides Ulysses survives the destruction of the ship?
(a) No one.
(d) An unnamed sailor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What law does Queen Arete warn her husband against breaking by sacrificing Ulysses?
2. What demand is being made on Penelope in Ithaca?
3. Who is Ulysses' mother?
4. What was Charybdis before she angered Zeus?
5. What are the Hellenes instructed not to eat by Teiresias?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)