|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What form does the monster Charybdis take?
(a) A giant.
(b) A serpent.
(c) A tempest.
(d) A whirlpool.
2. Who is sent to Ogygia to tell Calypso to release Ulysses?
3. What is Thrinacia also known as?
(a) The Isle of the Sun.
(b) The Isle of Dragons.
(c) The Isle of Fire.
(d) The Isle of Dawn.
4. What does Athene tell Nausicaa to do in her dream?
(a) Wash clothes at the river.
(b) Sing songs of war.
(c) Defy her parents.
(d) Throw a banquet.
5. How old is Nausicaa?
(a) Twenty-four years old.
(b) Ten years old.
(c) Sixteen years old.
(d) Twenty years old.
6. Why does Ino offer to help Ulysses in Section 13?
(a) Ino expects a favor in return for her help.
(b) Ino respects Ulysses for his heroics in the Trojan war.
(c) Ino hates Poseidon.
(d) Ino loves humans.
7. Who warns Ulysses in Section 8 that he will encounter the Sirens?
8. How is Ulysses instructed to return Ino's veil to her?
(a) Ulysses is told not to return it.
(b) Send it back to her with a gull.
(c) Take it to Mount Olympus.
(d) Throw it back into the water.
9. What birds does Ulysses catch by pretending to be dead?
10. How many of Ulysses' men are taken by Scylla?
11. What does Calypso turn the men into who she grows bored with?
12. What demand is being made on Penelope in Ithaca?
(a) To give up her fortune.
(b) To choose a wife for her son.
(c) To leave her castle.
(d) To choose a husband.
13. What is the only animal Ulysses' men hunt successfully in Thrinacia?
(a) Wild pigs.
14. What does Poseidon call up when he sees Ulysses at sea in Section 13?
(a) A strong current.
(b) A gale.
(c) A storm.
(d) A tidal wave.
15. What is Ulysses told that Penelope weaves every day?
(a) A handkerchief.
(b) A shroud.
(c) A cloak.
(d) A rug.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Teiresias?
2. Who is Hyperion?
3. What does Athene do when Ulysses departs from Phaeacia?
4. Where has Poseidon been vacationing?
5. What bird do the Hellenes follow from their ship in Section 8?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)