|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What bird do the Hellenes follow from their ship in Section 8?
(a) A dove.
(b) A gull.
(c) A crow.
(d) An eagle.
2. What is Ulysses hopeful of as he and his men sail away from Tartarus?
(a) That he can avoid the tragedies he has been warned about.
(b) That the gods will help him from now on.
(c) That he will find more provisions for his men.
(d) That he will soon be home.
3. What will Thrinacia one day be known as?
4. What is unique about the rocks that Ulysses' ship encounters in Section 9?
(a) The rocks float.
(b) The rocks glow.
(c) The rocks are liquid.
(d) The rocks fly.
5. What do the faces of the Sirens look like?
(c) Old women.
6. What is Thrinacia also known as?
(a) The Isle of Dawn.
(b) The Isle of Fire.
(c) The Isle of Dragons.
(d) The Isle of the Sun.
7. What form does the monster Charybdis take?
(a) A serpent.
(b) A giant.
(c) A tempest.
(d) A whirlpool.
8. What are the bodies of the Sirens like?
9. What do the rocks in Section 9 prevent Ulysses and his crew from doing?
(a) Docking at an island.
(b) Sailing to the east.
(c) Sailing to the north.
(d) Sailing to the south sea.
10. Where has Poseidon been vacationing?
11. What does Calypso turn the men into who she grows bored with?
12. Who does Hyperion request vengeance from?
13. What destroys Ulysses' ship as it sails away from Thrinacia?
(a) A storm.
(b) A tidal wave.
(c) A whirlpool.
(d) The west wind.
14. What is Ulysses told that Penelope weaves every day?
(a) A handkerchief.
(b) A cloak.
(c) A rug.
(d) A shroud.
15. Why do Nausicaa's parents lose patience with her?
(a) Nausicaa does not heed the gods.
(b) Nausicaa spends all of her time playing.
(c) Nausicaa turns down all of her suitors.
(d) Nausicaa spends too much gold.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who besides Ulysses survives the destruction of the ship?
2. Where does Ulysses swim to in Section 13?
3. What strange noise does Ulysses hear in Section 9?
4. How long does Ulysses drift at sea in Section 11?
5. What do the Sirens enchant men with?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)