|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Ulysses drift at sea in Section 11?
(a) Two months.
(b) Four months.
(c) Ten days.
(d) Thirty days.
2. What does Athene do when Ulysses departs from Phaeacia?
(a) Athene drugs Poseidon.
(b) Athene travels with him disguised as a servant.
(c) Athene makes the winds blow so that the trip is quickened.
(d) Athene warns Poseidon not to interfere.
3. What special ability does Calypso have?
(a) Calypso can control peoples' minds.
(b) Calypso can see the past and future.
(c) Calypso can communicate telepathically.
(d) Calypso can control the tides.
4. What does Ulysses know he will encounter by heading toward Thrinacia?
(a) Bad weather.
(c) Geographical obstacles.
5. What was Charybdis before she angered Zeus?
(a) A sorceress.
(b) A human girl.
(c) A goddess.
(d) A naiad.
6. Through what device does Calypso watch Ulysses' journey?
(a) A magical fire.
(b) A magical tablet.
(c) A magical mirror.
(d) A magical basin.
7. What does Ulysses throw which knocks a hole in the castle courtyard in Section 14?
(a) A chariot wheel.
(b) A spear.
(c) A vase.
(d) A table.
8. What direction is Ulysses forced to sail due to the rocks in Section 9?
(a) North by Northwest.
(d) South by Southeast.
9. How many days does Ulysses swim for in Section 13?
10. How many of Ulysses' men are taken by Scylla?
11. What color are the skies in Section 9?
12. Who besides Ulysses survives the destruction of the ship?
(a) No one.
(c) An unnamed sailor.
13. What destroys Ulysses' ship as it sails away from Thrinacia?
(a) The west wind.
(b) A tidal wave.
(c) A storm.
(d) A whirlpool.
14. Who is Ulysses' mother?
15. How long are the Hellenes stuck at Thrinacia?
(a) Fourteen days.
(b) Six months.
(c) Two months.
(d) Thirty days.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Hyperion?
2. What stops the Hellenes from leaving Thrinacia?
3. What is the only animal Ulysses' men hunt successfully in Thrinacia?
4. In which direction do Ulysses and his men sail at the beginning of Section 8?
5. What is Ulysses hopeful of as he and his men sail away from Tartarus?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)