|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which direction do Ulysses and his men sail at the beginning of Section 8?
2. What form does the monster Charybdis take?
(a) A whirlpool.
(b) A tempest.
(c) A giant.
(d) A serpent.
3. What provision do Ulysses' men find in abundance on Thrinacia?
4. Who turned Scylla into a monster?
5. What does Elpenor instruct Ulysses to avoid so that he does not lose his entire crew?
(a) The Cyclops monsters.
(b) The monster cyberus.
(c) The monster Charybdis.
(d) The monster Scylla.
6. What does Ulysses find after swimming along the coast in Section 13?
(a) A river.
(b) A cove.
(c) A waterfall.
(d) A whirlpool.
7. What does Athene tell Nausicaa to do in her dream?
(a) Sing songs of war.
(b) Throw a banquet.
(c) Wash clothes at the river.
(d) Defy her parents.
8. What are the Hellenes instructed not to eat by Teiresias?
(a) Fish from Poseidon's ocean.
(b) Wild pigs.
(c) Hyperion's golden cattle.
(d) Fruit offered by maidens.
9. What do the Sirens enchant men with?
(a) Their eyes.
(b) Their perfume.
(c) Their voices.
(d) Their appearances.
10. What are the bodies of the Sirens like?
11. What demand is being made on Penelope in Ithaca?
(a) To choose a husband.
(b) To leave her castle.
(c) To choose a wife for her son.
(d) To give up her fortune.
12. Who do some say Nausicaa eventually falls in love with?
(a) A lonely prince.
(b) A travelling musician.
(c) A blind poet.
(d) A hero of the Trojan war.
13. Where does Ulysses swim to in Section 13?
14. In Section 11, who suggests Ullyses' men should eat the sun-cattle?
(b) Athene, in a dream.
15. Where do the Hellenes attempt to sail directly to following Ulysses' order?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of Ulysses' men are taken by Scylla?
2. How does the color of the sky affect Ulysses' mood in Section 9?
3. When Ulysses' identity is discovered in Section 14, what favor does he ask of the king?
4. What special ability does Calypso have?
5. What does Ulysses hold on to after Poseidon destroys his ship in Section 13?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)