|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where has Poseidon been vacationing?
2. Who is Teiresias?
(a) A prophet.
(b) A god.
(c) A king.
(d) A fallen soldier.
3. What is unique about the rocks that Ulysses' ship encounters in Section 9?
(a) The rocks are liquid.
(b) The rocks float.
(c) The rocks fly.
(d) The rocks glow.
4. Who besides Ulysses survives the destruction of the ship?
(b) An unnamed sailor.
(c) No one.
5. What does Elpenor instruct Ulysses to avoid so that he does not lose his entire crew?
(a) The Cyclops monsters.
(b) The monster Charybdis.
(c) The monster cyberus.
(d) The monster Scylla.
6. Which god tells Zeus that Poseidon's treatment of Ulysses is unjust?
7. How long are the Hellenes stuck at Thrinacia?
(a) Fourteen days.
(b) Six months.
(c) Thirty days.
(d) Two months.
8. What bird do the Hellenes follow from their ship in Section 8?
(a) A crow.
(b) A dove.
(c) A gull.
(d) An eagle.
9. Why does Ino offer to help Ulysses in Section 13?
(a) Ino loves humans.
(b) Ino expects a favor in return for her help.
(c) Ino respects Ulysses for his heroics in the Trojan war.
(d) Ino hates Poseidon.
10. How does the color of the sky affect Ulysses' mood in Section 9?
(a) Ulysses becomes fearful.
(b) Ulysses becomes vengeful.
(c) Ulysses' spirits are lifted.
(d) Ulysses' spirits are dampened.
11. What law does Queen Arete warn her husband against breaking by sacrificing Ulysses?
(a) The law of kindness.
(b) The law of courtesy.
(c) The law of friendship.
(d) The law of hospitality.
12. How many days does Ulysses swim for in Section 13?
13. What is Ulysses told that Penelope weaves every day?
(a) A shroud.
(b) A handkerchief.
(c) A cloak.
(d) A rug.
14. What plant does Ulysses rest amongst after reaching land in Section 13?
15. What does Athene do when Ulysses departs from Phaeacia?
(a) Athene travels with him disguised as a servant.
(b) Athene drugs Poseidon.
(c) Athene warns Poseidon not to interfere.
(d) Athene makes the winds blow so that the trip is quickened.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Calypso turn the men into who she grows bored with?
2. What birds does Ulysses catch by pretending to be dead?
3. What strange noise does Ulysses hear in Section 9?
4. What was Charybdis before she angered Zeus?
5. What does Calypso say Ulysses is in time for when waking up in Ogygia the second time?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)