|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Hyperion?
(a) The Sun-Titan.
(b) The Ocean-Titan.
(c) The God of Dawn.
(d) The God of Sleep.
2. What was Charybdis before she angered Zeus?
(a) A goddess.
(b) A naiad.
(c) A human girl.
(d) A sorceress.
3. What is unique about the rocks that Ulysses' ship encounters in Section 9?
(a) The rocks glow.
(b) The rocks fly.
(c) The rocks are liquid.
(d) The rocks float.
4. Who is Nausicaa?
(a) A goddess.
(b) A princess of Phaeacia.
(c) A servant girl.
(d) A travelling songstress.
5. How does the color of the sky affect Ulysses' mood in Section 9?
(a) Ulysses becomes vengeful.
(b) Ulysses becomes fearful.
(c) Ulysses' spirits are dampened.
(d) Ulysses' spirits are lifted.
6. Who besides Ulysses survives the destruction of the ship?
(c) An unnamed sailor.
(d) No one.
7. What does Ulysses awake upon in Section 12?
8. Through what device does Calypso watch Ulysses' journey?
(a) A magical mirror.
(b) A magical fire.
(c) A magical basin.
(d) A magical tablet.
9. What do the rocks in Section 9 prevent Ulysses and his crew from doing?
(a) Sailing to the south sea.
(b) Sailing to the east.
(c) Sailing to the north.
(d) Docking at an island.
10. Where do the Hellenes attempt to sail directly to following Ulysses' order?
11. When Ulysses' identity is discovered in Section 14, what favor does he ask of the king?
(a) For the friendship of Phaeacia.
(b) For his daughter's hand in marriage.
(c) For a ship to take him home.
(d) For a message to be sent to his wife.
12. Why do Nausicaa's parents lose patience with her?
(a) Nausicaa spends too much gold.
(b) Nausicaa turns down all of her suitors.
(c) Nausicaa does not heed the gods.
(d) Nausicaa spends all of her time playing.
13. What form does the monster Charybdis take?
(a) A serpent.
(b) A whirlpool.
(c) A giant.
(d) A tempest.
14. What do Ulysses' men block their ears with to sail thought the strait of the Sirens?
(a) Tree sap.
15. What does Calypso claim to have turned Ulysses into when she saw him fall from his raft?
(a) A bird.
(b) A dragonfly.
(c) A fish.
(d) An otter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only animal Ulysses' men hunt successfully in Thrinacia?
2. What does Calypso turn the men into who she grows bored with?
3. What will Thrinacia one day be known as?
4. How is Ulysses instructed to return Ino's veil to her?
5. What bird do the Hellenes follow from their ship in Section 8?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)