|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animals are sacrificed so that Ulysses may talk to the dead?
2. What does Poseidon call up when he sees Ulysses at sea in Section 13?
(a) A storm.
(b) A strong current.
(c) A gale.
(d) A tidal wave.
3. What plant does Ulysses rest amongst after reaching land in Section 13?
4. Who besides Ulysses survives the destruction of the ship?
(a) No one.
(c) An unnamed sailor.
5. Who does Hyperion request vengeance from?
6. What color are the skies in Section 9?
7. What bird do the Hellenes follow from their ship in Section 8?
(a) A dove.
(b) A crow.
(c) A gull.
(d) An eagle.
8. What does Ulysses throw which knocks a hole in the castle courtyard in Section 14?
(a) A table.
(b) A spear.
(c) A chariot wheel.
(d) A vase.
9. From a distance, what does Ulysses see floating in the water in Section 9?
(a) Brown things.
(b) White things.
(c) Green things.
(d) Black things.
10. How is Ulysses' ship driven through the strait of the Sirens?
(a) By oar.
(b) By a current.
(c) By the wind.
(d) By Poseidon.
11. Who is sent to Ogygia to tell Calypso to release Ulysses?
12. What does Ulysses awake upon in Section 12?
13. Which of his crewmembers does Ulysses accidentally kill?
14. In which direction do Ulysses and his men sail at the beginning of Section 8?
15. What are the bodies of the Sirens like?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ulysses think Nausicaa is?
2. What does Athene do when Ulysses departs from Phaeacia?
3. Where do the Hellenes attempt to sail directly to following Ulysses' order?
4. Which god tells Zeus that Poseidon's treatment of Ulysses is unjust?
5. What does Elpenor instruct Ulysses to avoid so that he does not lose his entire crew?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)