|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What stops the Hellenes from leaving Thrinacia?
(a) A sleeping spell.
(b) Damage to their ship.
(d) A storm.
2. What do Nausicaa and the maidens play with at the river?
(b) A dog.
(c) A feather.
(d) A ball.
3. What does Calypso claim to have turned Ulysses into when she saw him fall from his raft?
(a) An otter.
(b) A fish.
(c) A bird.
(d) A dragonfly.
4. In Section 13, how many days is Ulysses at sea before Poseidon's return from vacation?
(a) Forty days.
(b) Thirty days.
(c) Ten days.
(d) Seventeen days.
5. In Section 11, who suggests Ullyses' men should eat the sun-cattle?
(b) Athene, in a dream.
6. How is Ulysses instructed to return Ino's veil to her?
(a) Ulysses is told not to return it.
(b) Take it to Mount Olympus.
(c) Throw it back into the water.
(d) Send it back to her with a gull.
7. What does Ulysses send to Ithaca in Section 12 to bring him a report about his wife and son?
(a) A gull.
(b) A dove.
(c) A crow.
(d) An eagle.
8. How old is Nausicaa?
(a) Ten years old.
(b) Twenty years old.
(c) Sixteen years old.
(d) Twenty-four years old.
9. What does Ulysses throw which knocks a hole in the castle courtyard in Section 14?
(a) A vase.
(b) A table.
(c) A spear.
(d) A chariot wheel.
10. Which of his crewmembers does Ulysses accidentally kill?
11. What do the faces of the Sirens look like?
(d) Old women.
12. What do Ulysses' men block their ears with to sail thought the strait of the Sirens?
(b) Tree sap.
13. What does Calypso turn the men into who she grows bored with?
14. How did Charybdis anger Zeus?
(a) By insulting Hera.
(b) By spurning Zeus' affections.
(c) By claiming land for her father.
(d) By falling in love with a mortal.
15. Who is Nausicaa?
(a) A goddess.
(b) A princess of Phaeacia.
(c) A servant girl.
(d) A travelling songstress.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ulysses swim to in Section 13?
2. Who besides Ulysses survives the destruction of the ship?
3. How is Ulysses warned he would find his son upon his return home?
4. What strange noise does Ulysses hear in Section 9?
5. What are the Hellenes instructed not to eat by Teiresias?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)