|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Ulysses' identity is discovered in Section 14, what favor does he ask of the king?
(a) For his daughter's hand in marriage.
(b) For the friendship of Phaeacia.
(c) For a ship to take him home.
(d) For a message to be sent to his wife.
2. What is Ulysses hopeful of as he and his men sail away from Tartarus?
(a) That he will soon be home.
(b) That he can avoid the tragedies he has been warned about.
(c) That he will find more provisions for his men.
(d) That the gods will help him from now on.
3. What animals are sacrificed so that Ulysses may talk to the dead?
4. What do Ulysses' men block their ears with to sail thought the strait of the Sirens?
(c) Tree sap.
5. In which direction do Ulysses and his men sail at the beginning of Section 8?
6. Why does Ino offer to help Ulysses in Section 13?
(a) Ino hates Poseidon.
(b) Ino respects Ulysses for his heroics in the Trojan war.
(c) Ino expects a favor in return for her help.
(d) Ino loves humans.
7. Who is Ino?
(a) A goddess.
(b) A mermaid.
(c) A sorceress.
(d) A naiad.
8. What does Ulysses throw which knocks a hole in the castle courtyard in Section 14?
(a) A table.
(b) A spear.
(c) A vase.
(d) A chariot wheel.
9. Where does Ulysses believe he is when he awakes in Section 12?
(b) In the Elysian Fields.
10. Which of his crewmembers does Ulysses accidentally kill?
11. What plant does Ulysses rest amongst after reaching land in Section 13?
12. What does Ulysses awake upon in Section 12?
13. Who do some say Nausicaa eventually falls in love with?
(a) A hero of the Trojan war.
(b) A travelling musician.
(c) A blind poet.
(d) A lonely prince.
14. How long does Ulysses drift at sea in Section 11?
(a) Two months.
(b) Four months.
(c) Thirty days.
(d) Ten days.
15. What strange noise does Ulysses hear in Section 9?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Thrinacia also known as?
2. What does Ulysses know he will encounter by heading toward Thrinacia?
3. What do Nausicaa and the maidens play with at the river?
4. What form does the monster Charybdis take?
5. What does Calypso claim to have turned Ulysses into when she saw him fall from his raft?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)