|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the physical appearance of the Sirens cause Ulysses' men to do?
(a) Stop rowing.
(b) Row faster.
(c) Row toward the coast.
(d) Row slower.
2. What plant does Ulysses rest amongst after reaching land in Section 13?
3. Who does Hyperion request vengeance from?
4. What do the rocks in Section 9 prevent Ulysses and his crew from doing?
(a) Sailing to the north.
(b) Sailing to the south sea.
(c) Docking at an island.
(d) Sailing to the east.
5. What does Calypso turn the men into who she grows bored with?
6. What law does Queen Arete warn her husband against breaking by sacrificing Ulysses?
(a) The law of courtesy.
(b) The law of friendship.
(c) The law of kindness.
(d) The law of hospitality.
7. Who is Nausicaa's father?
(b) King Icarus.
(c) King Alcinous.
(d) King Cepheus.
8. What do Nausicaa and the maidens play with at the river?
(a) A dog.
(c) A feather.
(d) A ball.
9. What does Ulysses send to Ithaca in Section 12 to bring him a report about his wife and son?
(a) A dove.
(b) An eagle.
(c) A crow.
(d) A gull.
10. What are the bodies of the Sirens like?
11. How long does Ulysses drift at sea in Section 11?
(a) Thirty days.
(b) Ten days.
(c) Two months.
(d) Four months.
12. How does the color of the sky affect Ulysses' mood in Section 9?
(a) Ulysses becomes vengeful.
(b) Ulysses' spirits are lifted.
(c) Ulysses becomes fearful.
(d) Ulysses' spirits are dampened.
13. What birds does Ulysses catch by pretending to be dead?
14. When Ulysses' identity is discovered in Section 14, what favor does he ask of the king?
(a) For the friendship of Phaeacia.
(b) For his daughter's hand in marriage.
(c) For a ship to take him home.
(d) For a message to be sent to his wife.
15. What insect does the monster Scylla resemble?
(a) A spider.
(b) A moth.
(c) A scorpion.
(d) A centipede.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the Hellenes instructed not to eat by Teiresias?
2. Where does Ulysses swim to in Section 13?
3. What strange noise does Ulysses hear in Section 9?
4. What color are the skies in Section 9?
5. What does Calypso say Ulysses is in time for when waking up in Ogygia the second time?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)