|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ulysses know he will encounter by heading toward Thrinacia?
(a) Bad weather.
(d) Geographical obstacles.
2. What form does the monster Charybdis take?
(a) A serpent.
(b) A whirlpool.
(c) A tempest.
(d) A giant.
3. What does the physical appearance of the Sirens cause Ulysses' men to do?
(a) Stop rowing.
(b) Row slower.
(c) Row toward the coast.
(d) Row faster.
4. What is Thrinacia also known as?
(a) The Isle of Fire.
(b) The Isle of the Sun.
(c) The Isle of Dawn.
(d) The Isle of Dragons.
5. Who do some say Nausicaa eventually falls in love with?
(a) A lonely prince.
(b) A blind poet.
(c) A travelling musician.
(d) A hero of the Trojan war.
6. What do the Sirens enchant men with?
(a) Their appearances.
(b) Their voices.
(c) Their eyes.
(d) Their perfume.
7. What animals are sacrificed so that Ulysses may talk to the dead?
8. What is Ulysses tricked into believing his men are eating in Section 11?
(a) Wild pig.
9. Where has Poseidon been vacationing?
10. What are the bodies of the Sirens like?
11. From a distance, what does Ulysses see floating in the water in Section 9?
(a) Brown things.
(b) Black things.
(c) Green things.
(d) White things.
12. What stops the Hellenes from leaving Thrinacia?
(a) A sleeping spell.
(b) A storm.
(c) Damage to their ship.
13. How did Charybdis anger Zeus?
(a) By falling in love with a mortal.
(b) By claiming land for her father.
(c) By insulting Hera.
(d) By spurning Zeus' affections.
14. What color are the skies in Section 9?
15. Who is Ino?
(a) A mermaid.
(b) A sorceress.
(c) A naiad.
(d) A goddess.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ulysses hold on to after Poseidon destroys his ship in Section 13?
2. What birds does Ulysses catch by pretending to be dead?
3. Through what device does Calypso watch Ulysses' journey?
4. What does Calypso turn the men into who she grows bored with?
5. What will Thrinacia one day be known as?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)