|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the sailors aboard Ulysses' ship begin to suspect about the bag of winds?
(a) That it has cast a spell on Ulysses.
(b) That it contains treasure.
(c) That it is bad luck.
(d) That it is empty.
2. In Section 2, who convinces Ulysses that the village is a gift from God?
3. Into what does Circe's spell turn Ulysses' men?
4. Where does Pulyphemus trap the Hellenes?
(a) By a river.
(b) In a cave.
(c) Within a ditch.
(d) In a hut.
5. What does Ulysses dream of in Libya?
(a) His mother.
(b) His victory in Troy.
(d) His disastrous journey.
6. How is the island Ulysses lands on in Section 6 described?
7. What does Polyphemus pray will happen to Ulysses?
(a) That he will be betrayed by those he trusts.
(b) That he will be blinded.
(c) That he will die at sea.
(d) That he will wander many years before returning home.
8. What does Ulysses offer to Polyphemus so that he can better enjoy his dinner?
(b) Goat meat.
9. Into what animal does Circe say she would turn Ulysses?
(a) An eagle.
(b) A fox.
(c) A tiger.
(d) A stag.
10. What do the Cyclops monsters like to eat?
(b) Human flesh.
(c) Live goats.
(d) Fellow cyclopses.
11. What does Aeolus ask Ulysses for when he greets him on the island?
(a) A gift.
(b) A sacrifice.
(c) A story.
(d) A song.
12. Where is the ship taken to when the winds are released from the bag?
(a) Back to Polymetheus' island.
(b) Back to Aeolus' fortress.
(c) Back to Ithaca.
(d) Back to Troy.
13. What animal do the Hellenes hunt on the island?
(a) Wild pig.
14. Why can Aeolus not grant Ulysses a second favor?
(a) Aeolus does not trust Ulysses' men.
(b) Aeolus has no more magic left.
(c) Ulysses broke his promise to Aeolus.
(d) The Gods detest Ulysses.
15. How does Morpheus interfere with the Hellenes' dreams?
(a) Morpheus turns their sweet dreams into nightmares.
(b) Morpheus turns their nightmares to sweet dreams.
(c) Morpheus makes their dreams never ending.
(d) Morpheus appears in their dreams to give them information.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Polyphemus' father?
2. How many Greeks from each ship are killed when the villagers in Section 2 are attacking?
3. How many men are in each of Ulysses' ships?
4. Who is Hypnos?
5. In Section 3, what does Ulysses carry to his ship even though he is tired?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)