Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "A Case of Identity," what is Windbank's motive?
2. At the end of the case, what happens to the Red-Headed League?
3. In "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," who does Holmes deduce is the murderer?
4. What date does Charles McCarthy make an appointment at the Boscombe Valley pool?
5. In "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," what animal does Charles McCarthy mention?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb," how does Victor escape after Stark tries to kill him?
2. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip", Isa Whitney has an embarrassing habit which she discloses to Watson. What is his embarrassing habit?
3. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor", what happens to the couple after their marriage ceremony?
4. In "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," what happens to Julia?
5. What dangerous favor does Isa Whitney ask of Watson?
6. Describe the advertisement "The Red-Headed League" places in the newspaper.
7. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," who is the man who accompanies Miss Doran to Holmes' apartment?
8. Describe the plot twist in "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet."
9. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," what does Holmes deduce about the owner of the hat.
10. In "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," why does Holder believe his son stole the coronet?
Essay Topic 1
Holmes uses the process of deduction in solving his cases. Contrast this with more traditional detective work using inductive reasoning. What are the similarities and differences between these two types of reasoning?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the point of view from which the Sherlock Holmes stories are told.
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Holmes is brilliant or just lucky? Defend your argument with examples from the text.
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)