|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual about Angel?
2. What is the purpose of the Red-Headed League?
3. After Holmes accepts Wilson's case in "The Red-Headed League," what does he do to help him think about the case?
4. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," what is found in the water?
5. What date does Charles McCarthy make an appointment at the Boscombe Valley pool?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mr. Angel's appearance at the ball.
2. Who are the main characters in "A Case of Identity"?
3. Describe the advertisement "The Red-Headed League" places in the newspaper.
4. In "A Case of Identity", how does Holmes determine who the killer is?
5. In "A Case of Identity", what is Turner's reaction to being the accused killer?
6. How does Miss Sutherland come into a large sum of money in "A Case of Identity?"
7. How is "The Five Orange Pips" similar to "A Scandal in Bohemia"?
8. In "A Case of Identity", how does Holmes solve the case?
9. What is the case Holmes takes on in "A Scandal in Bohemia?"
10. In "A Case of Identity", what does Holmes decide to do with the information he has found on Turner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast two stories from this collection.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast "The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb" and "The Five Orange Pips," focusing on Holmes's bringing criminals to justice.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Doyle's writing style, particularly his use of monologue to describe action sequences. How effective is telling about an action sequence rather than describing it as it happens?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)