|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Boscombe Valley?
2. While on the case in "A Scandal in Bohemia," what role does Holmes play at the church?
3. According to the interrogation report of James in "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," what sound did Charles McCarthy make?
4. What does Holmes threaten Mr. Windbanks with?
5. What hours does Wilson work in his job for the Red-Headed League?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the advertisement "The Red-Headed League" places in the newspaper.
2. What does Peter Jones think of Holmes detective work in "The Red-Headed League"?
3. How does Miss Sutherland come into a large sum of money in "A Case of Identity?"
4. In "The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb," before agreeing to work, what does Victor ask Stark?
5. What is Ryder's role in the theft of the blue carbuncle?
6. Who are the main characters in "A Case of Identity"?
7. What do you know about Sherlock Holmes from "A Scandal in Bohemia?"
8. In "A Case of Identity", how does Holmes solve the case?
9. How does "The Five Orange Pips" end?
10. While pondering the clues of the case in "The Man with the Twisted Lip", what does Holmes do?
Essay Topic 1
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle sets his mysteries of Sherlock Holmes mainly in London in the late 19th century, commonly known as the Victorian Era. Describe the setting of the mysteries and analyze effect setting has on the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Select one of the short stories in this collection. Analyze the story's plot structure. Does it follow a traditional plot diagram?
Essay Topic 3
In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," Holmes and Watson often travel in the underbelly of London. Additionally, Holmes is somewhat addicted to morphine and cocaine. The story has Holmes and Watson going deep into the underground world of opium dens and beggars. In an essay, analyze the theme of social realism, as attempted by Doyle.
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)