|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," what does Holmes do with the person he is investigating?
2. Who does Holmes believe to be behind the Red-Headed League?
3. On the morning of Sutherland and Angel's marriage, what happens to Angel?
4. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," what is Watson's relationship status?
5. How does Holmes gain access to the female character's home in "A Scandal in Bohemia?"
Short Essay Questions
1. In "A Case of Identity", how does Holmes determine who the killer is?
2. In "The Red-Headed League", why does Holmes want to look at Spaulding's knees?
3. While pondering the clues of the case in "The Man with the Twisted Lip", what does Holmes do?
4. What is the case Holmes takes on in "A Scandal in Bohemia?"
5. What does Peter Jones think of Holmes detective work in "The Red-Headed League"?
6. Describe the objective of "The Red-Headed League".
7. In "A Case of Identity", why does Windbanks masquerade as Angel?
8. Describe Mr. Angel's appearance at the ball.
9. Describe the mystery in "A Case of Identity".
10. In "A Case of Identity", what is Turner's reaction to being the accused killer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast two stories from this collection.
Essay Topic 2
In more than one story, Holmes decides the fate of criminals, taking justice into his own hands. Analyze this aspect of Holmes character. Is it appropriate for Holmes to override the justice system? What are the qualities of the criminals Holmes most frequently lets go?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character analysis of Watson. What is Watson's role in the novel? Who do you think is smarter - Watson or Holmes? Why do you think Watson is Holmes friend? What would Holmes be without Watson? How would you describe the relationship between Holmes and Watson?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)