|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," who is originally arrested for murder?
2. Who receives the second letter in "The Five Orange Pips?"
3. Where does the Red-Headed League place an advertisement for employment?
4. When Holmes begins to solve the case in "A Scandal in Bohemia," what is his disguise?
5. While on the case in "A Scandal in Bohemia," what role does Holmes play at the church?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the characters in "The Five Orange Pips"?
2. What is Turner's motive for killing McCarthy?
3. What dangerous favor does Isa Whitney ask of Watson?
4. In "A Case of Identity", what is Turner's reaction to being the accused killer?
5. Describe Mr. Angel's appearance at the ball.
6. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip", Watson and Holmes meet up while working on separate cases. What do their two cases have in common?
7. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," what is odd about Doyle's writing style?
8. What does Peter Jones think of Holmes detective work in "The Red-Headed League"?
9. How is "The Five Orange Pips" similar to "A Scandal in Bohemia"?
10. Describe the advertisement "The Red-Headed League" places in the newspaper.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which short story is your favorite? Why?
Essay Topic 2
While it is true that many of these stories involve long monologues of characters recounting the details of past events, there is often taut and sprightly dialogue between Holmes and Watson. Using examples from the text, analyze Doyle's use of dialogue.
Essay Topic 3
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle sets his mysteries of Sherlock Holmes mainly in London in the late 19th century, commonly known as the Victorian Era. Describe the setting of the mysteries and analyze effect setting has on the plot.
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)