|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the Red-Headed League place an advertisement for employment?
2. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," how does Holmes know someone is going to pay him a visit?
3. In "A Case of Identity," what is Windbank's motive?
4. What is the relationship between Angel and Sutherland?
5. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," what is the title of the visitor to Holmes' apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "A Case of Identity", why does Windbanks masquerade as Angel?
2. What do you know about Sherlock Holmes from "A Scandal in Bohemia?"
3. Describe Holmes' process for solving cases.
4. What is Turner's motive for killing McCarthy?
5. What does Peter Jones think of Holmes detective work in "The Red-Headed League"?
6. Describe Holmes and Watson's living situations.
7. What are Wilson's job duties for "The Red-Headed League"?
8. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," what is odd about Doyle's writing style?
9. In "The Red-Headed League", why does Holmes want to look at Spaulding's knees?
10. What dangerous favor does Isa Whitney ask of Watson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the irony found in "The Man with the Twisted Lip."
Essay Topic 2
Select one of the short stories in this collection. Analyze the story's plot structure. Does it follow a traditional plot diagram?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Doyle's writing style, particularly his use of monologue to describe action sequences. How effective is telling about an action sequence rather than describing it as it happens?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)