|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the motivation for the murder in "The Boscombe Valley Mystery?"
2. What body part of Spaulding's does Holmes want to see?
3. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," what is Watson's relationship status?
4. Who does Elias receive a letter from?
5. What building is next door to Wilson's shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Peter Jones think of Holmes detective work in "The Red-Headed League"?
2. Doyle typically uses a character from a foreign land in his stories. Describe how he uses this in "The Five Orange Pips".
3. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," Holmes goes out disguised as a drunken stable worker to Miss Adler's stable. What happens when he follows Miss Adler?
4. How does Miss Sutherland come into a large sum of money in "A Case of Identity?"
5. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip", Isa Whitney has an embarrassing habit which she discloses to Watson. What is his embarrassing habit?
6. What characteristics of a Holmes mystery are included in "A Case of Identity"?
7. While pondering the clues of the case in "The Man with the Twisted Lip", what does Holmes do?
8. How does "The Five Orange Pips" end?
9. Describe the advertisement "The Red-Headed League" places in the newspaper.
10. What are Wilson's job duties for "The Red-Headed League"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the characteristics of a Sherlock Holmes mystery? Use examples from the short stories to support your points.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the point of view from which the Sherlock Holmes stories are told.
Essay Topic 3
Write a character analysis of Watson. What is Watson's role in the novel? Who do you think is smarter - Watson or Holmes? Why do you think Watson is Holmes friend? What would Holmes be without Watson? How would you describe the relationship between Holmes and Watson?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)