|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," what is the title of the visitor to Holmes' apartment?
2. What is unusual about Angel?
3. What is Watson doing when he receives a telegram from Holmes in "The Boscombe Valley Mystery?"
4. At the end of the case, what happens to the Red-Headed League?
5. What is the weather like in "The Five Orange Pips" when Watson is at Holmes' home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the objective of "The Red-Headed League".
2. In "A Case of Identity", how does Holmes solve the case?
3. Where is Mr. St. Clair's coat found and why was it so hard to discover?
4. What is Turner's motive for killing McCarthy?
5. Describe the mystery in "A Case of Identity".
6. In "The Five Orange Pips", where are each of the letters sent from?
7. How is "The Five Orange Pips" similar to "A Scandal in Bohemia"?
8. Describe Mr. Angel's appearance at the ball.
9. Doyle typically uses a character from a foreign land in his stories. Describe how he uses this in "The Five Orange Pips".
10. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip", why does St. Clair disguise himself as Boone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Holmes is brilliant or just lucky? Defend your argument with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast two stories from this collection.
Essay Topic 3
What do you know about the author, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle? What are his influences in writing Sherlock Holmes?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)