|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Elias Openshaw die?
2. What is unusual about Angel?
3. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," is Holmes successful at solving the case?
4. Which of the following characters is not in "A Case of Identity?"
5. In "The Five Orange Pips," what happens to Joseph?
Short Essay Questions
1. As "A Case of Identity" begins, what are Watson and Holmes discussing?
2. Describe the advertisement "The Red-Headed League" places in the newspaper.
3. How does Miss Sutherland come into a large sum of money in "A Case of Identity?"
4. Who are the characters in "The Five Orange Pips"?
5. What are Wilson's job duties for "The Red-Headed League"?
6. While pondering the clues of the case in "The Man with the Twisted Lip", what does Holmes do?
7. What does Peter Jones think of Holmes detective work in "The Red-Headed League"?
8. Describe the objective of "The Red-Headed League".
9. In "A Case of Identity", how does Holmes determine who the killer is?
10. In "The Five Orange Pips", where are each of the letters sent from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is different from many current writers of detective fiction and also from many of his contemporaries in that his work typically doesn't have any extreme plot twists. For which stories is this not true? In these stories, describe the plot twists that occur.
Essay Topic 2
Select one of the short stories in this collection. Analyze the story's plot structure. Does it follow a traditional plot diagram?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Holmes is brilliant or just lucky? Defend your argument with examples from the text.
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)