|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the weather like in "The Five Orange Pips" when Watson is at Holmes' home?
2. What is Wilson instructed to copy in his job for the Red-Headed League?
3. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," which feeling best describes the person Holmes is investigating once caught?
4. In "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," what animal does Charles McCarthy mention?
5. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," when the police return to the last known location of the missing person, what do they find?
Short Essay Questions
1. What characteristics of a Holmes mystery are included in "A Case of Identity"?
2. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," what is odd about Doyle's writing style?
3. In "A Case of Identity", what is Turner's reaction to being the accused killer?
4. Describe Mr. Angel's appearance at the ball.
5. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip", Watson and Holmes meet up while working on separate cases. What do their two cases have in common?
6. In "A Case of Identity", what does Holmes decide to do with the information he has found on Turner?
7. Describe Holmes' process for solving cases.
8. Describe Holmes and Watson's living situations.
9. In "The Five Orange Pips", where are each of the letters sent from?
10. How is "The Five Orange Pips" similar to "A Scandal in Bohemia"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you know about the author, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle? What are his influences in writing Sherlock Holmes?
Essay Topic 2
Write a character analysis of Holmes. Include the following: physical description, character traits, family/friends, profession, cases.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Doyle's writing style, particularly his use of monologue to describe action sequences. How effective is telling about an action sequence rather than describing it as it happens?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)