|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," what did a witness see?
2. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," when is Holmes' client set to be blackmailed?
3. When Watson shows up at the appointed time at night, what is the role of Peter Jones?
4. What building is next door to Wilson's shop?
5. Which of the following characters is not in "A Case of Identity?"
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip", Watson and Holmes meet up while working on separate cases. What do their two cases have in common?
2. Describe Holmes and Watson's living situations.
3. Who are the characters in "The Five Orange Pips"?
4. Where is Mr. St. Clair's coat found and why was it so hard to discover?
5. What does Peter Jones think of Holmes detective work in "The Red-Headed League"?
6. Why do you think Doyle ends "The Five Orange Pips" with no real resolution?
7. In "A Case of Identity", what does Holmes decide to do with the information he has found on Turner?
8. What is Holmes' plan to recover the picture in "A Scandal in Bohemia?"
9. What dangerous favor does Isa Whitney ask of Watson?
10. In "A Case of Identity", what is Turner's reaction to being the accused killer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the irony found in "The Man with the Twisted Lip."
Essay Topic 2
Write a character analysis of Watson. What is Watson's role in the novel? Who do you think is smarter - Watson or Holmes? Why do you think Watson is Holmes friend? What would Holmes be without Watson? How would you describe the relationship between Holmes and Watson?
Essay Topic 3
In more than one story, Holmes decides the fate of criminals, taking justice into his own hands. Analyze this aspect of Holmes character. Is it appropriate for Holmes to override the justice system? What are the qualities of the criminals Holmes most frequently lets go?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)