|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Five Orange Pips," what is Watson doing before their client comes in?
2. What is unusual about Angel?
3. In "The Red-Headed League," what does Holmes believe is the reason for Wilson's job?
4. What is Watson doing when he receives a telegram from Holmes in "The Boscombe Valley Mystery?"
5. What book does Holmes consult in "The Five Orange Pips?"
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Red-Headed League", why does Holmes want to look at Spaulding's knees?
2. In "A Case of Identity", why does Windbanks masquerade as Angel?
3. Describe the mystery in "A Case of Identity".
4. In "A Case of Identity", what does Holmes decide to do with the information he has found on Turner?
5. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," Holmes goes out disguised as a drunken stable worker to Miss Adler's stable. What happens when he follows Miss Adler?
6. In "A Case of Identity", how does Holmes determine who the killer is?
7. In "A Case of Identity", what is Turner's reaction to being the accused killer?
8. What are Wilson's job duties for "The Red-Headed League"?
9. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip", Watson and Holmes meet up while working on separate cases. What do their two cases have in common?
10. What is Turner's motive for killing McCarthy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Doyle's writing style, particularly his use of monologue to describe action sequences. How effective is telling about an action sequence rather than describing it as it happens?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the irony found in "The Man with the Twisted Lip."
Essay Topic 3
Which short story is your favorite? Why?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)