|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to John in "The Five Orange Pips?"
2. What is the relationship between Angel and Sutherland?
3. On the morning of Sutherland and Angel's marriage, what happens to Angel?
4. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," what do Watson and his wife do after dinner?
5. Describe Holmes' client in "The Five Orange Pips."
Short Essay Questions
1. What characteristics of a Holmes mystery are included in "A Case of Identity"?
2. Describe Holmes and Watson's living situations.
3. Describe Holmes' process for solving cases.
4. What dangerous favor does Isa Whitney ask of Watson?
5. What is Holmes' plan to recover the picture in "A Scandal in Bohemia?"
6. Doyle typically uses a character from a foreign land in his stories. Describe how he uses this in "The Five Orange Pips".
7. Describe Mr. Angel's appearance at the ball.
8. What is the case Holmes takes on in "A Scandal in Bohemia?"
9. As "A Case of Identity" begins, what are Watson and Holmes discussing?
10. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," Holmes goes out disguised as a drunken stable worker to Miss Adler's stable. What happens when he follows Miss Adler?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast "The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb" and "The Five Orange Pips," focusing on Holmes's bringing criminals to justice.
Essay Topic 2
Write a literary critique of "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes". What does the author do well? How do the stories fit together as a whole? What do you think of Doyle's writing style? Would you recommend "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" to a friend? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character analysis of Watson. What is Watson's role in the novel? Who do you think is smarter - Watson or Holmes? Why do you think Watson is Holmes friend? What would Holmes be without Watson? How would you describe the relationship between Holmes and Watson?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)