|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What character does "The Man with the Twisted Lip" begin a description with?
2. In "The Five Orange Pips," what happens to the ship, the Lone Star?
3. At the end of the case, what happens to the Red-Headed League?
4. What is Holmes' client being blackmailed with in "A Scandal in Bohemia?"
5. Who does Elias receive a letter from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the mystery in "A Case of Identity".
2. Describe Holmes' process for solving cases.
3. Doyle typically uses a character from a foreign land in his stories. Describe how he uses this in "The Five Orange Pips".
4. Describe Mr. Angel's appearance at the ball.
5. How does "The Five Orange Pips" end?
6. While pondering the clues of the case in "The Man with the Twisted Lip", what does Holmes do?
7. What are Wilson's job duties for "The Red-Headed League"?
8. In "A Case of Identity", how does Holmes solve the case?
9. Who are the main characters in "A Case of Identity"?
10. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip", Watson and Holmes meet up while working on separate cases. What do their two cases have in common?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast two stories from this collection.
Essay Topic 2
Select one of the short stories in this collection. Analyze the story's plot structure. Does it follow a traditional plot diagram?
Essay Topic 3
What are the characteristics of a Sherlock Holmes mystery? Use examples from the short stories to support your points.
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)