|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," what is Holmes feeling about the person he is looking for?
2. What happens to John in "The Five Orange Pips?"
3. After Watson finds and leaves with Whitney, who does Watson run into?
4. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," whose disappearance is Holmes investigating?
5. When Holmes solves the case in "The Red-Headed League," what does he determine is the reason for the Red-Headed League?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," as the policeman tries to stop a gang beating up a man, what two items does the victim drop before running off?
2. In "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," how does Holder end up with the Beryl Coronet?
3. In "A Case of Identity", why does Windbanks masquerade as Angel?
4. In "The Red-Headed League", why does Holmes want to look at Spaulding's knees?
5. Describe the mystery in "A Case of Identity".
6. What are Wilson's job duties for "The Red-Headed League"?
7. How does "The Five Orange Pips" end?
8. Who are the characters in "The Five Orange Pips"?
9. In "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," why does Holder believe his son stole the coronet?
10. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip", Watson and Holmes meet up while working on separate cases. What do their two cases have in common?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is different from many current writers of detective fiction and also from many of his contemporaries in that his work typically doesn't have any extreme plot twists. For which stories is this not true? In these stories, describe the plot twists that occur.
Essay Topic 2
Which short story is your favorite? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle sets his mysteries of Sherlock Holmes mainly in London in the late 19th century, commonly known as the Victorian Era. Describe the setting of the mysteries and analyze effect setting has on the plot.
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)