|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Miss Sutherland support herself?
(a) She is married and her husband supports her.
(b) Her allowance from her stepfather.
(c) Her inheritance and a job as a typist.
(d) She works as a prostitute.
2. Where did Sutherland and Angel meet?
(a) At Sutherland's home.
(b) At a pub.
(c) At a library.
(d) At a ball.
3. How does Holmes gain access to the female character's home in "A Scandal in Bohemia?"
(a) Woos her to be her lover.
(b) Disguises himself as a salesman.
(c) Stages a fight.
(d) Breaks in.
4. How does Elias Openshaw die?
(b) He doesn't die.
5. In "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," what animal does Charles McCarthy mention?
(a) A cat.
(b) A rat.
(c) A dog.
(d) A snake.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Watson shows up at the appointed time at night, what is the role of Peter Jones?
2. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," where was the person Holmes investigating last seen?
3. What is the name of the female in "A Scandal in Bohemia?"
4. What is the relationship between Sutherland and Windbank?
5. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," is Holmes successful at solving the case?
Short Essay Questions
1. Doyle typically uses a character from a foreign land in his stories. Describe how he uses this in "The Five Orange Pips".
2. As "A Case of Identity" begins, what are Watson and Holmes discussing?
3. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip", Watson and Holmes meet up while working on separate cases. What do their two cases have in common?
4. How does "The Five Orange Pips" end?
5. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," what is odd about Doyle's writing style?
6. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," Holmes goes out disguised as a drunken stable worker to Miss Adler's stable. What happens when he follows Miss Adler?
7. What characteristics of a Holmes mystery are included in "A Case of Identity"?
8. Describe Holmes and Watson's living situations.
9. What is Turner's motive for killing McCarthy?
10. In "A Case of Identity", what does Holmes decide to do with the information he has found on Turner?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)