|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Holmes gain access to the female character's home in "A Scandal in Bohemia?"
(a) Woos her to be her lover.
(b) Stages a fight.
(c) Breaks in.
(d) Disguises himself as a salesman.
2. What does Mrs. St. Clair receive from her husband letting her know he is alright?
(a) A letter and his ring.
(b) A pocketwatch and boots.
(c) A book and a feather.
(d) A flower and vase.
3. What is Watson doing when he receives a telegram from Holmes in "The Boscombe Valley Mystery?"
(a) Seeing a patient.
(b) Researching in his library.
(c) Having breakfast with his wife.
(d) On vacation with his wife.
4. How do Sutherland and Angel communicate?
(a) They talk by telephone.
(b) They don't communicate.
(c) They meet in secret.
(d) They write each other letters.
5. From which country do Turner and McCarthy know each other?
(a) United States.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Red-Headed League," what does Holmes ask Watson to bring with him at night?
2. On the morning of Sutherland and Angel's marriage, what happens to Angel?
3. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," where was the person Holmes investigating last seen?
4. According to the interrogation report of James in "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," what sound did Charles McCarthy make?
5. What date does Charles McCarthy make an appointment at the Boscombe Valley pool?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Wilson's job duties for "The Red-Headed League"?
2. While pondering the clues of the case in "The Man with the Twisted Lip", what does Holmes do?
3. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," Holmes goes out disguised as a drunken stable worker to Miss Adler's stable. What happens when he follows Miss Adler?
4. Describe the mystery in "A Case of Identity".
5. Who are the characters in "The Five Orange Pips"?
6. Describe Holmes' process for solving cases.
7. What characteristics of a Holmes mystery are included in "A Case of Identity"?
8. In "The Five Orange Pips", where are each of the letters sent from?
9. Doyle typically uses a character from a foreign land in his stories. Describe how he uses this in "The Five Orange Pips".
10. What is Turner's motive for killing McCarthy?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)