|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is inside the letter Elias receives?
(a) Five orange pips.
(b) Pictures from his past.
(c) A blank check.
(d) Directions to treasure.
2. Which of the following Holmes' characteristics does "A Case of Identity" contain?
(a) Exotic murder weapon.
(b) Grotesque details.
(c) A young woman about to be married.
(d) Character from a foreign land.
3. Once Isa Whitney is found, what must Watson do before he leaves?
(a) Post bail.
(b) Get him dressed.
(c) Clean him up.
(d) Pay his bill.
4. At the end of the case, what happens to the Red-Headed League?
(a) It is brought up on tax evasion.
(b) It continues on with a new leader.
(c) Holmes becomes the new leader.
(d) It is dissolved.
5. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," what is unusual about the visitor who comes to Holmes' apartment?
(a) The visitor is wearing an eyepatch.
(b) The visitor is wearing a mask.
(c) The visitor is not wearing any clothes.
(d) The visitor is wearing unusual glasses.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Sutherland and Angel communicate?
2. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," what does Holmes do with the person he is investigating?
3. Why is Mr. WIndbank frequently away from home?
4. What character does "The Man with the Twisted Lip" begin a description with?
5. Where did the letter Elias receives come from?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Five Orange Pips", where are each of the letters sent from?
2. Describe Mr. Angel's appearance at the ball.
3. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip", Watson and Holmes meet up while working on separate cases. What do their two cases have in common?
4. Describe Holmes' process for solving cases.
5. What is Holmes' plan to recover the picture in "A Scandal in Bohemia?"
6. Where is Mr. St. Clair's coat found and why was it so hard to discover?
7. Describe the objective of "The Red-Headed League".
8. What does Peter Jones think of Holmes detective work in "The Red-Headed League"?
9. Why do you think Doyle ends "The Five Orange Pips" with no real resolution?
10. In "The Red-Headed League", why does Holmes want to look at Spaulding's knees?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)