|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Red-Headed League," what does Holmes ask Watson to bring with him at night?
(b) A bottle of gin.
(c) His revolver.
(d) A knife.
2. What is inside the letter Elias receives?
(a) Directions to treasure.
(b) Pictures from his past.
(c) Five orange pips.
(d) A blank check.
3. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," when is Holmes' client set to be blackmailed?
(a) On Christmas morning.
(b) On election day.
(c) On his wedding day.
(d) At the funeral.
4. In "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," which character is found dead?
(a) John Turner.
(b) Sherlock Holmes.
(c) Charles McCarthy.
(d) James McCarthy.
5. What does Mrs. St. Clair receive from her husband letting her know he is alright?
(a) A flower and vase.
(b) A letter and his ring.
(c) A book and a feather.
(d) A pocketwatch and boots.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship between Sutherland and Windbank?
2. What is Watson doing when he receives a telegram from Holmes in "The Boscombe Valley Mystery?"
3. What is the purpose of the Red-Headed League?
4. In "The Five Orange Pips," what is Watson doing before their client comes in?
5. What does Holmes refer to the female character in "A Scandal in Bohemia" as?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "A Case of Identity", what is Turner's reaction to being the accused killer?
2. Describe the objective of "The Red-Headed League".
3. How does Miss Sutherland come into a large sum of money in "A Case of Identity?"
4. Why do you think Doyle ends "The Five Orange Pips" with no real resolution?
5. As "A Case of Identity" begins, what are Watson and Holmes discussing?
6. How is "The Five Orange Pips" similar to "A Scandal in Bohemia"?
7. What is Turner's motive for killing McCarthy?
8. What characteristics of a Holmes mystery are included in "A Case of Identity"?
9. In "A Case of Identity", how does Holmes determine who the killer is?
10. What does Peter Jones think of Holmes detective work in "The Red-Headed League"?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)