|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Watson shows up at the appointed time at night, what is the role of Peter Jones?
(a) Bank president.
(b) Holmes' landlord.
(c) City detective.
(d) Hotel concierge.
2. In "A Case of Identity," what does Holmes need in order to solve the case?
(a) Holmes tells Watson to meet him at 10 pm.
(b) Holmes has a drink with Angel.
(c) Holmes sends a letter to Windbanks.
(d) Holmes disguises himself as Windbanks and meets Sutherland.
3. At the end of the case, what happens to the Red-Headed League?
(a) It is brought up on tax evasion.
(b) It is dissolved.
(c) It continues on with a new leader.
(d) Holmes becomes the new leader.
4. What is the relationship between Sutherland and Windbank?
(a) Windbank is Sutherland's stepfather.
(b) Sutherland is Windbank's maid.
(c) Windbank os Sutherland's father.
(d) Sutherland is Windbank's mother.
5. In "The Five Orange Pips," what happens to the ship, the Lone Star?
(a) It is run aground just outside of England.
(b) It is lost at sea for three months.
(c) It is sunk at sea.
(d) It is attacked by pirates.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Wilson earn in his job for the Red-Headed League?
2. In "The Five Orange Pips," how are the first and second letter similar?
3. What is Watson doing when he receives a telegram from Holmes in "The Boscombe Valley Mystery?"
4. After Watson finds and leaves with Whitney, who does Watson run into?
5. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," who is the last person to see the person Holmes is investigating?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip", why does St. Clair disguise himself as Boone?
2. What does Peter Jones think of Holmes detective work in "The Red-Headed League"?
3. What is Holmes' plan to recover the picture in "A Scandal in Bohemia?"
4. What characteristics of a Holmes mystery are included in "A Case of Identity"?
5. In "The Five Orange Pips", where are each of the letters sent from?
6. How does "The Five Orange Pips" end?
7. Doyle typically uses a character from a foreign land in his stories. Describe how he uses this in "The Five Orange Pips".
8. What is Turner's motive for killing McCarthy?
9. What is the case Holmes takes on in "A Scandal in Bohemia?"
10. Why do you think Doyle ends "The Five Orange Pips" with no real resolution?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)