|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," when is Holmes' client set to be blackmailed?
(a) On his wedding day.
(b) On election day.
(c) On Christmas morning.
(d) At the funeral.
2. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," when the police return to the last known location of the missing person, what do they find?
(a) A pistol and ammunition.
(b) A cripple and some clothes.
(c) A bottle of gin.
(d) A pipe.
3. In "The Five Orange Pips," what is Watson doing before their client comes in?
(a) Playing the guitar.
(b) Smoking a pipe.
(c) Reading a sailing novel.
(d) Cross-indexing his files.
4. Which of the following Holmes' characteristics does "A Case of Identity" contain?
(a) A young woman about to be married.
(b) Character from a foreign land.
(c) Exotic murder weapon.
(d) Grotesque details.
5. Why is Mr. WIndbank frequently away from home?
(a) He is an opium addict and spends time begging on the streets.
(b) He has a gambling addiction and plays poker.
(c) He is a wine dealer and travels to France.
(d) He works endless hours at his lawfirm.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," what is unusual about the visitor who comes to Holmes' apartment?
2. What is inside the letter Elias receives?
3. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," what does Holmes do while thinking about the case?
4. Where does the Red-Headed League place an advertisement for employment?
5. Who does Elias receive a letter from?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Red-Headed League", why does Holmes want to look at Spaulding's knees?
2. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip", Isa Whitney has an embarrassing habit which she discloses to Watson. What is his embarrassing habit?
3. What dangerous favor does Isa Whitney ask of Watson?
4. What characteristics of a Holmes mystery are included in "A Case of Identity"?
5. What does Peter Jones think of Holmes detective work in "The Red-Headed League"?
6. In "A Case of Identity", how does Holmes solve the case?
7. Describe Mr. Angel's appearance at the ball.
8. Describe the mystery in "A Case of Identity".
9. Describe the advertisement "The Red-Headed League" places in the newspaper.
10. In "A Case of Identity", what is Turner's reaction to being the accused killer?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)