|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Holmes solves the case in "The Red-Headed League," what does he determine is the reason for the Red-Headed League?
(a) To cover up a murder.
(b) To save money on publications.
(c) To tunnel under Wilson's shop.
(d) To later use the information as a bribe.
2. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," which feeling best describes the person Holmes is investigating once caught?
3. In "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," which character is found dead?
(a) John Turner.
(b) James McCarthy.
(c) Charles McCarthy.
(d) Sherlock Holmes.
4. Who calls Holmes in "The Boscombe Valley Mystery?"
(a) James McCarthy.
(b) Dr. Watson.
(c) Detective Lestrade.
(d) John Turner.
5. Holmes determines that Windbanks is ______________.
(a) A criminal.
(b) Sutherland's real father.
(c) A thief.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," what do Watson and his wife do after dinner?
2. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," what is unusual about the visitor who comes to Holmes' apartment?
3. In "The Five Orange Pips," what happens to Joseph?
4. Where did the letter Elias receives come from?
5. Who is Holmes' client in "A Case of Identity?"
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb," before agreeing to work, what does Victor ask Stark?
2. In "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," why does Holder believe his son stole the coronet?
3. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," what is odd about Doyle's writing style?
4. Doyle typically uses a character from a foreign land in his stories. Describe how he uses this in "The Five Orange Pips".
5. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," Holmes goes out disguised as a drunken stable worker to Miss Adler's stable. What happens when he follows Miss Adler?
6. In "A Case of Identity", what is Turner's reaction to being the accused killer?
7. In "A Case of Identity", what does Holmes decide to do with the information he has found on Turner?
8. What characteristics of a Holmes mystery are included in "A Case of Identity"?
9. What does Peter Jones think of Holmes detective work in "The Red-Headed League"?
10. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," what does Holmes do with the criminal at the end of the story?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)