|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," which feeling best describes the person Holmes is investigating once caught?
2. According to the interrogation report of James in "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," what sound did Charles McCarthy make?
3. Who receives the third letter in "The Five Orange Pips?"
4. What is the relationship between Sutherland and Windbank?
(a) Sutherland is Windbank's mother.
(b) Windbank os Sutherland's father.
(c) Windbank is Sutherland's stepfather.
(d) Sutherland is Windbank's maid.
5. What is the purpose of the Red-Headed League?
(a) To advance the interests of red-headed men everywhere.
(b) For the education of red-headed families.
(c) To outline the lineage of red-headed people.
(d) To preserve the wealth of red heads.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Watson shows up at the appointed time at night, what is the role of Peter Jones?
2. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," what is unusual when Watson first meets Holmes?
3. Why is Mr. WIndbank frequently away from home?
4. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," what is the title of the visitor to Holmes' apartment?
5. What does Holmes refer to the female character in "A Scandal in Bohemia" as?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the advertisement "The Red-Headed League" places in the newspaper.
2. What does Peter Jones think of Holmes detective work in "The Red-Headed League"?
3. In "A Case of Identity", what is Turner's reaction to being the accused killer?
4. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip", Isa Whitney has an embarrassing habit which she discloses to Watson. What is his embarrassing habit?
5. Describe Holmes and Watson's living situations.
6. Describe the mystery in "A Case of Identity".
7. Why do you think Doyle ends "The Five Orange Pips" with no real resolution?
8. Describe the objective of "The Red-Headed League".
9. Who are the main characters in "A Case of Identity"?
10. In "The Red-Headed League", why does Holmes want to look at Spaulding's knees?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)