|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What body part of Spaulding's does Holmes want to see?
2. What is the relationship between Angel and Sutherland?
(b) Father and daughter.
(c) Brother and sister.
(d) Boss and employee.
3. In "The Red-Headed League," what does Holmes ask Watson to bring with him at night?
(b) His revolver.
(c) A bottle of gin.
(d) A knife.
4. Why is Mr. WIndbank frequently away from home?
(a) He is an opium addict and spends time begging on the streets.
(b) He has a gambling addiction and plays poker.
(c) He is a wine dealer and travels to France.
(d) He works endless hours at his lawfirm.
5. How much does Wilson earn in his job for the Red-Headed League?
(a) 50 pence an hour.
(b) Three pounds a day.
(c) Four pounds a week.
(d) Ten pounds a month.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Watson doing when he receives a telegram from Holmes in "The Boscombe Valley Mystery?"
2. What book does Holmes consult in "The Five Orange Pips?"
3. How does Miss Sutherland support herself?
4. What is Wilson instructed to copy in his job for the Red-Headed League?
5. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," what does Holmes do with the person he is investigating?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "A Case of Identity", how does Holmes determine who the killer is?
2. How is "The Five Orange Pips" similar to "A Scandal in Bohemia"?
3. Describe the advertisement "The Red-Headed League" places in the newspaper.
4. What dangerous favor does Isa Whitney ask of Watson?
5. Doyle typically uses a character from a foreign land in his stories. Describe how he uses this in "The Five Orange Pips".
6. Who are the characters in "The Five Orange Pips"?
7. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," Holmes goes out disguised as a drunken stable worker to Miss Adler's stable. What happens when he follows Miss Adler?
8. What characteristics of a Holmes mystery are included in "A Case of Identity"?
9. Describe Holmes' process for solving cases.
10. Where is Mr. St. Clair's coat found and why was it so hard to discover?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)