|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Elias receive a letter from?
(a) Scotland Yard.
(b) The Big Four.
(d) The KKK.
2. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," whose disappearance is Holmes investigating?
(a) Isa Whitney.
(b) Kate Whitney.
(c) Mr. St. Clair.
(d) Mrs. St. Clair.
3. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," is Holmes successful at solving the case?
(a) No, Holmes is unsuccessful.
(b) No, the lady takes the object with her.
(c) Yes, the object is returned to the king.
(d) Yes, but the object is destroyed.
4. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," what does Holmes do with the person he is investigating?
(a) Tells him to continue what he is doing.
(b) Tells him to turn himself in to the police.
(c) Tells him to run out of town.
(d) Tells him to go back to his wife and quit begging.
5. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," what is unusual when Watson first meets Holmes?
(a) Holmes is in disguise.
(b) Holmes is skipping along the road.
(c) Holmes is sleeping.
(d) Holmes has a mustache.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship between Sutherland and Windbank?
2. What is the motivation for the murder in "The Boscombe Valley Mystery?"
3. After Holmes accepts Wilson's case in "The Red-Headed League," what does he do to help him think about the case?
4. Why is Mr. WIndbank frequently away from home?
5. What is the weather like in "The Five Orange Pips" when Watson is at Holmes' home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the advertisement "The Red-Headed League" places in the newspaper.
2. As "A Case of Identity" begins, what are Watson and Holmes discussing?
3. Who are the main characters in "A Case of Identity"?
4. In "A Case of Identity", how does Holmes solve the case?
5. How does Miss Sutherland come into a large sum of money in "A Case of Identity?"
6. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," Holmes goes out disguised as a drunken stable worker to Miss Adler's stable. What happens when he follows Miss Adler?
7. What does Peter Jones think of Holmes detective work in "The Red-Headed League"?
8. How does "The Five Orange Pips" end?
9. In "The Red-Headed League", why does Holmes want to look at Spaulding's knees?
10. Why do you think Doyle ends "The Five Orange Pips" with no real resolution?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)