|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Describe Holmes' client in "The Five Orange Pips."
(a) A young man in his twenties.
(b) A large old woman.
(c) A pretty young woman.
(d) An blind man in his sixties.
2. How does Miss Sutherland support herself?
(a) She is married and her husband supports her.
(b) Her inheritance and a job as a typist.
(c) She works as a prostitute.
(d) Her allowance from her stepfather.
3. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," why do Holmes and Watson travel to the police house?
(a) To talk to the detective.
(b) To apply for a job.
(c) To see Hugh Boone.
(d) To post bail for Isa Whitney.
4. Which of the following characters is not in "A Case of Identity?"
(a) Mr. Hosmer Angel.
(b) Mr. Jabez Wilson.
(c) Mr. Windbanks.
(d) Miss Sutherland.
5. Who is Holmes' client in "The Red-Headed League?
(a) Mr. Godfrey Norton.
(b) Mr. McCarthy.
(c) Mr. Windbank.
(d) Mr. Jabez Wilson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character in "The Man with the Twisted Lip" is addicted to opium?
2. What is the weather like in "The Five Orange Pips" when Watson is at Holmes' home?
3. How much does Wilson earn in his job for the Red-Headed League?
4. On the morning of Sutherland and Angel's marriage, what happens to Angel?
5. What does Holmes refer to the female character in "A Scandal in Bohemia" as?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Holder's niece's involvement with the stolen coronet?
2. In "The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb," how does Victor escape after Stark tries to kill him?
3. Describe Holmes' process for solving cases.
4. What does Peter Jones think of Holmes detective work in "The Red-Headed League"?
5. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," Holmes goes out disguised as a drunken stable worker to Miss Adler's stable. What happens when he follows Miss Adler?
6. As "A Case of Identity" begins, what are Watson and Holmes discussing?
7. What is Turner's motive for killing McCarthy?
8. Why is "The Adventures of the Speckled Band" more of a favorite than "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches?"
9. What happens to Lord St. Simon on his wedding day in "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor?"
10. How does "The Five Orange Pips" end?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)