|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "A Case of Identity" begins with Holmes and Watson discussing the strangeness of _______________________.
(a) Ordinary life.
(b) Ordinary dreams.
(c) Ordinary books.
(d) Ordinary people.
2. What date does Charles McCarthy make an appointment at the Boscombe Valley pool?
(a) June 3rd.
(b) July 24th.
(c) June 15th.
(d) May 7th.
3. In "The Five Orange Pips," how are the first and second letter similar?
(a) Both have KKK and five orange pips.
(b) Both are from India.
(c) Both are written on the same typewriter.
(d) Both are written in Spanish.
4. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," who is the female character's significant other?
(a) Mr. Jabez Wilson.
(b) Mr. Godfrey Norton.
(c) Mr. Windbank.
(d) Mr. William Prince.
5. In "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," who does Holmes deduce is the murderer?
(a) John McCarthy.
(b) Charles McCarthy.
(c) John Turner.
(d) James McCarthy.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," whose disappearance is Holmes investigating?
2. Where is Boscombe Valley?
3. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," how does Holmes know someone is going to pay him a visit?
4. In "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," which character is found dead?
5. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," what is Watson's relationship status?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mr. Angel's appearance at the ball.
2. How is "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches" similar to "The Adventures of the Speckled Band?"
3. In "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," why does Helen go to see Holmes?
4. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," what is odd about Doyle's writing style?
5. What dangerous favor does Isa Whitney ask of Watson?
6. How does Miss Sutherland come into a large sum of money in "A Case of Identity?"
7. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," what does Holmes do with the criminal at the end of the story?
8. In "A Case of Identity", how does Holmes solve the case?
9. Why do you think Doyle ends "The Five Orange Pips" with no real resolution?
10. Describe the mystery in "A Case of Identity".
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)