|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the morning of Sutherland and Angel's marriage, what happens to Angel?
(a) He disappears.
(b) He falls and breaks his leg.
(c) He calls off the wedding.
(d) He is in a car accident.
2. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," when the police return to the last known location of the missing person, what do they find?
(a) A cripple and some clothes.
(b) A pistol and ammunition.
(c) A bottle of gin.
(d) A pipe.
3. In "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," who does Holmes deduce is the murderer?
(a) Charles McCarthy.
(b) John McCarthy.
(c) James McCarthy.
(d) John Turner.
4. When Watson shows up at the appointed time at night, what is the role of Peter Jones?
(a) City detective.
(b) Hotel concierge.
(c) Bank president.
(d) Holmes' landlord.
5. In "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," what does James claim to see in the water?
(a) A diamond ring.
(b) A gun.
(c) A top hat.
(d) A cloak.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Red-Headed League," what does Holmes ask Watson to bring with him at night?
2. Where did Sutherland and Angel meet?
3. Where is Boscombe Valley?
4. From which country do Turner and McCarthy know each other?
5. In "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," who is originally arrested for murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. What characteristics of a Holmes mystery are included in "A Case of Identity"?
2. In "The Five Orange Pips", where are each of the letters sent from?
3. Where is Mr. St. Clair's coat found and why was it so hard to discover?
4. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," what is odd about Doyle's writing style?
5. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip", Watson and Holmes meet up while working on separate cases. What do their two cases have in common?
6. What dangerous favor does Isa Whitney ask of Watson?
7. In "A Case of Identity", what is Turner's reaction to being the accused killer?
8. In "The Red-Headed League", why does Holmes want to look at Spaulding's knees?
9. Who are the characters in "The Five Orange Pips"?
10. What is the case Holmes takes on in "A Scandal in Bohemia?"
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)