|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," what does Holmes do with the person he is investigating?
(a) Tells him to turn himself in to the police.
(b) Tells him to run out of town.
(c) Tells him to go back to his wife and quit begging.
(d) Tells him to continue what he is doing.
2. In "A Case of Identity," what is Windbank's motive?
(a) To prevent Miss Sutherland from getting married.
(b) To gain Miss Sutherland's inheritance.
(c) To legally adpot Miss Sutherland.
(d) To have Miss Sutherland move out of his house.
3. Where did the letter Elias receives come from?
(a) Madrid, Spain.
(b) Pondicherry, India.
(d) New York.
4. How do Holmes and Watson travel to the case in "The Boscombe Valley Mystery"?
(a) By train.
(b) By foot.
(c) By horse.
(d) By car.
5. What is Watson doing when he receives a telegram from Holmes in "The Boscombe Valley Mystery?"
(a) Seeing a patient.
(b) Researching in his library.
(c) On vacation with his wife.
(d) Having breakfast with his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Holmes' client in "The Red-Headed League?
2. In "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," who is originally arrested for murder?
3. In "The Five Orange Pips," what is Watson doing before their client comes in?
4. What happens to John in "The Five Orange Pips?"
5. When Watson shows up at the appointed time at night, what is the role of Peter Jones?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Holmes and Watson's living situations.
2. How is "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches" similar to "The Adventures of the Speckled Band?"
3. What are Wilson's job duties for "The Red-Headed League"?
4. Describe the objective of "The Red-Headed League".
5. What is Turner's motive for killing McCarthy?
6. What dangerous favor does Isa Whitney ask of Watson?
7. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip", Watson and Holmes meet up while working on separate cases. What do their two cases have in common?
8. What characteristics of a Holmes mystery does "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" contain?
9. What do you know about Sherlock Holmes from "A Scandal in Bohemia?"
10. Why do you think Doyle ends "The Five Orange Pips" with no real resolution?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)