|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the yurts on the wagons to New Saray made of?
2. When was the Rihla rediscovered?
3. What desert borders Mali?
4. Where in China does Dunn say Battuta is not likely to have visited?
5. How many khanates were there at the time of this book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Battuta choose to visit Mali?
2. What was Battuta accused of after the Rihla was made?
3. What was a common occurrence for Battuta when meeting high officials?
4. What information does Dunn give us about Tughluq’s empire?
5. What does Battuta demand before taking a position in the Maldives?
6. Why didn’t Battuta go to Delhi when finished with his trip to China?
7. What caused Battuta to look down on the leadership in Mali?
8. What sad news did Battuta learn on his return to Damascus?
9. What caused Battuta to leave the Maldives?
10. Why did Battuta take a difficult route to India?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The pilgrimage to Mecca is required for all Muslims at least once. Why do you think this is? What did this pilgrimage do for Battuta?
Essay Topic 2
Battuta had a different opinion of the various places he visited. What were some of these opinions, and how did they come to be?
Essay Topic 3
Discrimination is a very important topic of discussion in this book. How is this discussion brought about, and how does it affect the tone of the book?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)