|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sunk the ships in Calicut?
2. What saved Battuta when the ships sunk in Calicut?
3. What is a Rihla?
4. How did Battuta get to al-Qiram?
5. Where did Battuta go after leaving Mali?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Battuta take a difficult route to India?
2. Why does Dunn say it was a good thing Battuta didn’t go to Delhi after his trip to China?
3. Why did Battuta travel with Princess Bayalun?
4. Why did Battuta choose to visit Mali?
5. How did Battuta feel about the people in Mali?
6. How did ToghonTemur feel about foreign scholars?
7. What does Battuta demand before taking a position in the Maldives?
8. What surprised Battuta about the Mongol leader thrones?
9. What sad news did Battuta learn on his return to Damascus?
10. What was a common occurrence for Battuta when meeting high officials?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Battuta had many high and lofty goals in life. How did he go about achieving these?
Essay Topic 2
Battuta witnessed and wrote about many different forms of government in his life. What are some of these governmental forms, and how do they differ from each other?
Essay Topic 3
Battuta changed when he got into high leadership positions. What were some of these changes, and what do you think caused them?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)