|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Battuta have in a bundle on his way to Qahat?
2. How many major cities were near Tangier at the time of this book?
3. Why was Tangier not a center of learning?
4. How did Battuta make his pilgrimage more dangerous than it had to be at the beginning?
5. What danger did Battuta encounter when crossing the Pontic mountains?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the spread of Islam affect Battuta in his travels?
2. What does Dunn think Battuta did in his time in Mecca?
3. What happened as Battuta was traveling to Qahat?
4. What happened at the bath house in Cairo?
5. What was a Qadi, and why is this important to this book?
6. What happened when Battuta visited a Sufi?
7. What were some of the parts of the Ka’ba ritual?
8. Who were the Mamluks?
9. Who were the Marinids?
10. How did Battuta feel about Cairo, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Battuta learned that his parents died long after it had happened. How did he react to this news, and what did this mean to him personally?
Essay Topic 2
Battuta did finally find a place to settle down. Where was this, and why do you think he chose this place?
Essay Topic 3
Battuta changed when he got into high leadership positions. What were some of these changes, and what do you think caused them?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)