|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Cairo a crossroads of in the time of this book?
2. Where did Battuta wait to join a hajj?
3. What did Battuta do at the Mount of Mercy?
4. Who told Battuta about his future?
5. How long did Battuta stay in Cairo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Battuta while traveling across the Pontic Mountains?
2. What was the Maghrib?
3. What made the pilgrimage so dangerous?
4. How does Dunn feel about the comparison between Battuta and a certain historical figure?
5. What kind of education did Battuta have before beginning his journey?
6. How does this book show the Muslim attitude towards women?
7. What does Dunn think Battuta did in his time in Mecca?
8. What does Dunn think Battuta hoped to find in his travels?
9. What did Battuta think of his first exposure to Africa in Zeila?
10. What was important about Medina?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Battuta changed when he got into high leadership positions. What were some of these changes, and what do you think caused them?
Essay Topic 2
Much of this book centered around Battuta’sMulsim beliefs. What are some of these beliefs, and how did they shape his life?
Essay Topic 3
The pilgrimage to Mecca is required for all Muslims at least once. Why do you think this is? What did this pilgrimage do for Battuta?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)