|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Mamluks start out as before they came into power?
2. What was the most common animal to see in a hajj?
3. Where did Battuta meet his first wife?
4. Who did the Mamluks have to fight against the most?
5. What is a hajj?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the Maghrib?
2. What did Battuta think of his first exposure to Africa in Zeila?
3. What happened when Battuta visited a Sufi?
4. What happened at the bath house in Cairo?
5. Who were the Fityan, and how did Battuta feel about them?
6. What made the pilgrimage so dangerous?
7. What major historical figure was Battuta compared to, and why?
8. Where did Battuta usually stay while traveling, and why?
9. How was the hajj described in this book?
10. How did Battuta feel about Cairo, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some scholars think a lot of what Battuta wrote about was falsified. Having read this version of his story, what do you think about these accusations?
Essay Topic 2
Battuta changed when he got into high leadership positions. What were some of these changes, and what do you think caused them?
Essay Topic 3
Discrimination is a very important topic of discussion in this book. How is this discussion brought about, and how does it affect the tone of the book?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)