|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country was Battuta born in?
2. What city along the Nile did Battuta spend time at before continuing on?
3. What does Dunn call the time of these travels in history?
4. How long did Battuta say he stayed in Mecca?
5. What was the status of Orkhan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the parts of the Ka’ba ritual?
2. Who were the Marinids?
3. What made the pilgrimage so dangerous?
4. Where did Battuta usually stay while traveling, and why?
5. How did Battuta hope to seek his fortune?
6. How does this book show the Muslim attitude towards women?
7. Who were the Fityan, and how did Battuta feel about them?
8. What bad thing did Battuta learn about his Arabic guide, and how did he respond to this?
9. What was the Maghrib?
10. Who were the Mamluks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Loyalty was very important to Battuta. How did he show this through his actions?
Essay Topic 2
Much of this book centered around Battuta’sMulsim beliefs. What are some of these beliefs, and how did they shape his life?
Essay Topic 3
The pilgrimage to Mecca is required for all Muslims at least once. Why do you think this is? What did this pilgrimage do for Battuta?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)