|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Battuta stay in Tunis?
2. What other traveler is Battuta compared to?
3. What kind of struggles in Tangier does Dunn say changed history?
4. How did Battuta cross the Pontic mountains?
5. How did Battuta make his pilgrimage more dangerous than it had to be at the beginning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened as Battuta was traveling to Qahat?
2. How does this book show the Muslim attitude towards women?
3. What was a Qadi, and why is this important to this book?
4. What happened when Battuta visited a Sufi?
5. Where did Battuta usually stay while traveling, and why?
6. What happened to Battuta while traveling across the Pontic Mountains?
7. What does Dunn think Battuta did in his time in Mecca?
8. Who were the Marinids?
9. Why did Battuta begin his journey?
10. Who were the Fityan, and how did Battuta feel about them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Battuta caused something of a confrontation at the bathhouse. Why did he do this, and what does this display about his personality?
Essay Topic 2
Battuta had a family, and this is something that should be of utmost importance to most Muslims. Do you think Battuta lived this way? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Battuta had many high and lofty goals in life. How did he go about achieving these?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)