|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Battuta’s first name?
2. Who invited Battuta to a feast in Anatolia?
3. What did Battuta have to recover from when he got to Qahat?
4. What did Battuta do at the Mount of Mercy?
5. How long did Battuta stay in Cairo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were the Marinids?
2. How was the hajj described in this book?
3. What did Battuta think of his first exposure to Africa in Zeila?
4. What were some of the parts of the Ka’ba ritual?
5. How did Battuta hope to seek his fortune?
6. How did Battuta spend his time in Damascus?
7. How does Dunn feel about the comparison between Battuta and a certain historical figure?
8. How did Battuta feel about his first sea voyage?
9. What does Dunn think Battuta hoped to find in his travels?
10. How did the spread of Islam affect Battuta in his travels?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some scholars think a lot of what Battuta wrote about was falsified. Having read this version of his story, what do you think about these accusations?
Essay Topic 2
Battuta was devoted to learning in his life. How did he display this devotion, and what affect did this have on his life?
Essay Topic 3
Dunn places some information throughout this book for us. Why do you think he did that, and how did this affect the pace of the book?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)