|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Mamluks start out as before they came into power?
(d) Religious zealots.
2. What kind of illness did Battuta come down with after leaving Algiers?
(a) An infection.
(b) A fever.
(c) A rash.
(d) A cough.
3. What does Dunn call the time of these travels in history?
(a) The Islamic Overtake.
(b) The Religious Awakening.
(c) The Middle Eastern Industrial Period.
(d) The Muslim Middle Ages.
4. What color did all the pilgrims wear?
5. How does Dunn say Muslim women lived at the time of this book?
(a) In constant fear.
(b) In seclusion.
(c) Like hermits.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times did Battuta circle in the Ka’ba?
2. What is a Qadi?
3. What did Battuta do while waiting for a hajj?
4. What does Dunn say caused the diversity in Mecca?
5. What was Battuta told about his future?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does this book show the Muslim attitude towards women?
2. Who were the Fityan, and how did Battuta feel about them?
3. What happened when Battuta visited a Sufi?
4. What happened at the bath house in Cairo?
5. Why did Battuta begin his journey?
6. What did the pilgrims do at Dhul’Hulaifa?
7. How did Battuta feel about his first sea voyage?
8. What was a Qadi, and why is this important to this book?
9. How did Battuta feel about Cairo, and why?
10. What was the Maghrib?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)