|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times was a trip required to Mecca?
(a) Twice in a decade.
(b) Once in a lifetime.
(c) Once in a year.
(d) Twice in a lifetime.
2. What was Battuta educated in?
3. Who were the Marinids?
(a) Famous travelers.
(b) Religious activists.
(c) Brilliant scholars.
(d) Political leaders.
4. What kind of struggles in Tangier does Dunn say changed history?
(a) Trading struggles.
(b) Power struggles.
(c) Religious struggles.
(d) Agricultural struggles.
5. What was Battuta told about his future?
(a) He would die young.
(b) He would travel extensively.
(c) He would be wealthy.
(d) He would make his mother proud.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Battuta feel about Alexandria Port?
2. What was the Maristan?
3. What is a rihla?
4. What was the profession of Battuta’s father?
5. Who went for help when danger was encountered while crossing the Pontic mountains?
Short Essay Questions
1. What bad thing did Battuta learn about his Arabic guide, and how did he respond to this?
2. Who were the Marinids?
3. How did Battuta spend his time in Damascus?
4. What kind of education did Battuta have before beginning his journey?
5. Where did Battuta usually stay while traveling, and why?
6. How did the spread of Islam affect Battuta in his travels?
7. How did Battuta hope to seek his fortune?
8. How does Dunn feel about the comparison between Battuta and a certain historical figure?
9. How did Battuta feel about Cairo, and why?
10. What happened as Battuta was traveling to Qahat?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)