|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of gifts did Battuta get in Mali?
(a) Religious relics.
(b) Tourist gifts.
(c) Large gifts.
(d) Small gifts.
2. What shocked Battuta about the Mongol leaders?
(a) They spoke Hindu.
(b) They were kind and generous.
(c) They knew much about the Muslims.
(d) They allowed their women in the courtroom.
3. What made Rihlas popular?
(a) Not many people travelled.
(b) Schools loved such records.
(c) The people were finally literary.
(d) It was a tradition of the time.
4. How did Battuta get to Mali?
(a) He went by sea..
(b) He rode a camel.
(c) He walked.
(d) He hired a litter.
5. What was Battuta accused of when the Rihla was finished?
(a) Telling lies.
(b) Giving away secrets.
(c) Breaking covenants.
(d) Slandering others.
6. Why was Battuta so unimpressed with the governor of Mali?
(a) He didn’t give good enough gifts.
(b) He didn’t speak Arabic.
(c) He knew little of the Muslim religion.
(d) He didn’t hold prayers.
7. What desert borders Mali?
(a) The Sahara Desert.
(b) The Salt Desert.
(c) The Mojave Desert.
(d) The Tunisian Desert.
8. What did Battuta prepare before meeting Tughluq?
(a) A song.
(b) A dressing gown.
(c) A speech.
(d) A gift.
9. Why does Dunn say it was good Battuta didn’t go to Delhi?
(a) A war was starting.
(b) The empire was crumbling.
(c) He would have been arrested.
(d) He would not have been given a job.
10. Where did Abu Inan live?
11. Why did ToghonTemur like to open relationships with the Muslims?
(a) To hide his real ambitions.
(b) To spread his empire.
(c) To increase trade routes.
(d) To educate himself.
12. Where was Tophon Temur from?
(b) Sri Lanka.
13. How does Dunn describe the Islamic divorce process?
(b) Not difficult at all.
14. Which ocean surrounds the Maldives?
(a) Black Sea.
15. What was the first city Battuta visited in Mali?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Battuta demand when he took a position in the Maldives?
2. What made Battuta feel disloyal to Tughluq?
3. What kinds of invaders were threatening India at the time of this book?
4. How did Battuta describe China?
5. How did Battuta get to al-Qiram?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)