|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dunn say many scholars think of Battuta’s account of China?
(a) It is fabricated.
(b) It is incomplete.
(c) It is sad.
(d) It is coded.
2. What was Battuta waiting for while on Samutra?
(a) Good sailing weather.
(b) His son to heal.
(c) A message from his parents.
(d) His wife to give birth.
3. Where does Dunn think the information about cultures came from?
(a) Other records.
(c) Battuta’s journal.
4. What shocked Battuta most about the government in the Maldives?
(a) It was not a theocracy.
(b) It was democratic.
(c) It had very few laws.
(d) It was led by a woman.
5. Where was Tophon Temur from?
(d) Sri Lanka.
6. When was the Rihla rediscovered?
(a) The 17th Century.
(b) The 19th Century.
(c) The 16th Century.
(d) The 18th Century.
7. What position did Jamal al-Din hold?
8. Why was Princess Bayalun going to Constantinople?
(a) To fulfill a pilgrimage.
(b) To be healed.
(c) To have a baby.
(d) To be married.
9. Where was Battuta when he learned one of his sons died?
10. Where did Battuta meet the Moroccan Sultan?
11. How did Battuta describe China?
(b) All of the above.
12. What kind of ruler was in Mali?
(a) A King.
(b) A Prince.
(c) A governor.
(d) A Sultan.
13. How many wagons did Battuta hire to get to New Saray?
14. Why didn’t Battuta return to the Sultan after the ships sunk in Calicut?
(a) He had no way to get home.
(b) His mission was not yet complete.
(c) He was embarrassed.
(d) He would have been prosecuted.
15. What was a junk?
(a) A book.
(b) A shrine.
(c) A ship.
(d) A breed of horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position got Battuta a sizeable raise in Delhi?
2. What was special to Battuta about Adam’s Peak?
3. Where did Tughluq’s empire begin to crumble?
4. What kind of gifts did Battuta get in Mali?
5. What made Rihlas popular?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)