|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which ocean surrounds the Maldives?
(b) Black Sea.
2. What happened just before Battuta met Mansa Sulayman?
(a) He recovered from an illness.
(b) He was promoted in leadership.
(c) He was arrested.
(d) He got married.
3. Where in China does Dunn say Battuta is not likely to have visited?
4. What was special to Battuta about Adam’s Peak?
(a) Adam came to Earth there.
(b) Mohammed spoke there.
(c) His father lived there.
(d) He met his wife there.
5. What did Battuta demand when he took a position in the Maldives?
(a) A title.
(b) A horse.
(c) A private living quarter.
(d) A wife.
6. Where did IbnJuzayy get most of his information?
(a) His own experience.
(b) Talks with Battuta.
(c) Interviews with people.
(d) Notes from Battuta.
7. What was something Tughluq punished people for severely?
(a) Breaking religious rules.
8. Why was Princess Bayalun going to Constantinople?
(a) To have a baby.
(b) To be married.
(c) To be healed.
(d) To fulfill a pilgrimage.
9. What was Battuta accused of when the Rihla was finished?
(a) Breaking covenants.
(b) Slandering others.
(c) Telling lies.
(d) Giving away secrets.
10. Who wanted the Rihla made?
(a) Princess Bayalun.
(b) The Sultan of Delhi.
(c) Abu Inan.
11. Why did Battuta want to visit Mali?
(a) He wanted to attend a University there.
(b) He had never been there.
(c) He had a son living there.
(d) He was sent there on business.
12. What did Battuta lose when the ships sunk in Calicut?
(a) His friends.
(b) All of the above.
(c) The royal gifts.
(d) Some servants.
13. When was the Rihla rediscovered?
(a) The 18th Century.
(b) The 19th Century.
(c) The 17th Century.
(d) The 16th Century.
14. What kind of city was al-Qiram at the time of this book?
15. Where did Battuta go after leaving Mali?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who showed Battuta around Constantinople?
2. What is a Rihla?
3. What made Rihlas popular?
4. Why didn’t Battuta return to the Sultan after the ships sunk in Calicut?
5. What was killing many people in Europe at the time of this book?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)