|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which ocean surrounds the Maldives?
(d) Black Sea.
2. What kind of gifts did Battuta get in Mali?
(a) Religious relics.
(b) Small gifts.
(c) Large gifts.
(d) Tourist gifts.
3. What was Battuta accused of when the Rihla was finished?
(a) Giving away secrets.
(b) Breaking covenants.
(c) Slandering others.
(d) Telling lies.
4. What position got Battuta a sizeable raise in Delhi?
(a) The Chief Vizier.
(b) The Official Scriptorian.
(c) The Mosque Director.
(d) The Chief Judge.
5. What sunk the ships in Calicut?
(a) A storm.
(c) Too much cargo.
(d) An explosion.
6. Why didn’t Battuta return to the Sultan after the ships sunk in Calicut?
(a) He would have been prosecuted.
(b) He had no way to get home.
(c) He was embarrassed.
(d) His mission was not yet complete.
7. What position did Jamal al-Din hold?
8. How did the people raise their children at the time of this book?
9. Who showed Battuta around Constantinople?
(a) The Sultan of Delphi.
(b) The Zhoau Emperor.
(c) A hired guide.
(d) Princess Bayalun.
10. What was the name of the Malian capitol?
(b) None of the above.
11. Who was turned against Battuta in the Maldives?
(a) The Sultan.
(b) The Vizier.
(c) The Governor.
(d) The Princess.
12. Why did Battuta take a harder route to get to al-Qiram?
(a) To avoid danger.
(b) To take a new path.
(c) To make another pilgrimage.
(d) To visit family.
13. How long did it take for the Rihla to be made?
(a) 2 years.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 4 years.
(d) 3 years.
14. Where did Battuta wait to hear from Tughluq about a position?
15. What is a Rihla?
(a) A poem.
(b) A mantle.
(c) A record.
(d) A prayer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of ruler was in Mali?
2. What saved Battuta when the ships sunk in Calicut?
3. How many wagons were in the train to New Saray?
4. What bothered Battuta about the people in Mali?
5. How did Battuta get to al-Qiram?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)