|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dunn think Battuta spent his time doing in Mecca?
(a) Raising his children.
(b) Attending lectures.
2. What kind of men did Battuta travel with after leaving Algiers?
3. How did Battuta feel about his travel choice to Yemen?
(a) He loved it.
(b) He was highly amused.
(c) He swore to never use it again.
(d) He was nervous.
4. What was the status of Orkhan?
5. What did the pilgrims do at Dhi I-Haifa?
(a) Begin the fast.
6. What made Battuta sad when leaving on his pilgrimage?
(a) Losing his job.
(b) Leaving his parents.
(c) Stopping his education.
(d) Selling his belongings.
7. Which ocean lies near Tangier?
(a) The Atlantic.
(b) The Indian.
(c) The Baltic.
(d) The Pacific.
8. What is a Qadi?
(a) A storyteller.
(b) A judge.
(c) A mapmaker.
(d) A healer.
9. Who told Battuta about his future?
(a) A priest.
(b) A street dancer.
(c) A rabbi.
(d) A mystic.
10. How does Dunn say Muslim women lived at the time of this book?
(a) In seclusion.
(c) Like hermits.
(d) In constant fear.
11. What country is now where Anatolia used to be?
12. What kind of stability does Dunn praise the Mamluks for?
13. Where did Battuta meet people who were of his religion as he travelled?
(b) All of the above.
14. How did Battuta feel about Alexandria Port?
(a) He hated it.
(b) He was impressed by it.
(c) He was scared of it.
(d) He didn’t even notice it.
15. What law required a trip to Mecca?
(a) Islamic Law.
(b) Middle Eastern Law.
(c) Buddhist Law.
(d) All of the above.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language did the Mamluks speak?
2. How long did Battuta stay in Cairo?
3. What kinds of robbers were often on the road to Constantine?
4. What country was Battuta born in?
5. What was special about the Mosque of the Prophet?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)