|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What religion did Battuta follow?
2. What was the most common animal to see in a hajj?
3. What was wrong with the Arabic guide hired by Battuta?
(a) He was rude.
(b) He was a thief.
(c) He was lame.
(d) He was blind.
4. How long was the journey from Damascus to Mecca?
(a) 800 miles.
(b) 1,200 miles.
(c) 800 kilometers.
(d) 1,200 kilometers.
5. What was the Maristan?
(a) A hospital.
(b) A mosque.
(c) A trade center.
(d) A grand ship.
6. What was Battuta’s profession?
7. What tribe was Battuta descended from?
(a) The Brastias.
(b) The Berbers.
(c) The Brahmas.
(d) The Brays.
8. How many times was a trip required to Mecca?
(a) Twice in a lifetime.
(b) Once in a lifetime.
(c) Once in a year.
(d) Twice in a decade.
9. What kind of men did Battuta travel with after leaving Algiers?
10. What was Battuta educated in?
11. What is Dunn’s role in this book?
(a) The main character.
(b) The antagonist.
(c) A researcher.
(d) A narrator.
12. What did Battuta love about traveling along the Nile?
(a) It was very beautiful.
(b) All the people were Muslim.
(c) The people were nice.
(d) He could find everything he needed on shore.
13. How did Battuta feel about Alexandria Port?
(a) He hated it.
(b) He didn’t even notice it.
(c) He was scared of it.
(d) He was impressed by it.
14. Who did Battuta stay with in Aden?
(a) A sailor.
(b) A scholar.
(c) A merchant.
(d) A dignitary.
15. What kind of town does Dunn call Tangier at this point in history?
(a) A frontier town.
(b) A port town.
(c) A rural town.
(d) A metropolitan town.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Zeila located?
2. What does Dunn say about the ceremonies described in this book?
3. Who told Battuta about his future?
4. What did the pilgrims do at Dhi I-Haifa?
5. How long did Battuta say he stayed in Mecca?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)