|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following religions does the March family adhere to?
2. Where is Augie's father at the opening of the novel?
3. From where does Augie steal a collection of Harvard Classics books?
4. Which of the following cities is Augie NOT disgusted with while traveling with Dingbat?
5. Who pays for Augie to get new clothes before he meets the wealthy Magnus family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lecture does William give to Augie after the break in at his pool hall?
2. Why does Simon sell his family house without telling anyone?
3. Why does the Magnus family demand for the breakup of Augie and Lucy?
4. Who is Charlotte Magnus?
5. Why is Augie sent to live with his cousins, the Coblins?
6. Why does Augie meet regularly with his caseworker, Lubin?
7. What was Georges-Jacques Danton?
8. How does Simon first show his cruelty when Augie works for him?
9. Who is "Grandma"?
10. What type of relationship does Augie have with his mother at the opening of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Augie's relationship with Mimi Villa is one that stays with him for the majority of his adult life. First, describe Mimi Villa. Where did she and Augie meet? Then, describe the incident that you believe led to the deep bond that formed between these two teenagers. How did they act as friends for each other in a way no one else would have been capable of? Then, describe the reaction from Augie's family and friends to his platonic relationship with Mimi. What troubles did he get into having such a close female friend? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Because of the desperate financial situation Augie finds himself in, he enters a life of crime with fellow thug, Joe Gormon. First, describe Joe Gormon's character. How did he and Augie meet? Why was Augie seduced by Joe's life of crime? Then, choose one major crime Augie committed while working with Gormon. Who was the victim of this crime? What was the short-term payoff for Augie? In your opinion, was the short-term payoff for this crime worth the long-term effects on Augie's life? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
When Augie was a teenager, he was given the job of working as a butler for William Einhorn. First, describe William Einhorn and his disabilities. Then, describe the tasks that Augie was expected to complete while working for Einhorn. Did Augie do well or struggle in this position? How can you tell? Finally, describe how the professional relationship between Augie and Einhorn dissolved. How did their professional meltdown affect their personal relationship? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)