|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rubberized decoration does Augie attempt to sell for bathroom redecoration after leaving the Renlings?
2. What is the name of William's wife?
3. What role is Augie hired to play in the department store Christmas scene?
4. How does Augie help Mimi raise money for her abortion?
5. What nationality is Guillaume?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Augie fired from his job at Deever's Department Store?
2. Why does Augie meet regularly with his caseworker, Lubin?
3. How does William react when the stock market crashes in 1929?
4. How does the March family feel about Grandma's demand to institutionalize Georgie?
5. Who is William Einhorn?
6. What is Augie's relationship to his younger brother, Georgie?
7. Who is "Grandma"?
8. How is Augie received when he meets the Magnus family for the first time?
9. Who is Augie meant to marry when he is a teenager, and what is his reaction to this agreement?
10. How does Augie betray William after the stock market crash?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the situation in which Mimi Villa got pregnant. Why did she decide to terminate her pregnancy? Then, describe the process Mimi had to go through to end her pregnancy. Was the procedure safe? Why or why not? Finally, compare the reaction from the women in Mimi's life to her abortion with the reaction from the men. What sociological statement do you think Bellows is making about abortion through these interactions? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
The most constant force in Augie's life, from childhood to adulthood, was his relationship with the eccentric tycoon, William. Describe how Augie and William first met. Then, describe how that relationship changed as Augie reached adulthood. Choose two moments that you believe were turning points in the relationship between William and Augie and describe them. How did these moments lead to the state of the relationship between Augie and William when the novel came to a close?
Essay Topic 3
After Simon marries Charlotte, he has excess money to throw around. First, describe the way that Simon uses his money to manipulate his mother's life. Then, compare this to the way Simon uses his money to manipulate Georgie's life. Whose needs does Simon put first with his money, his family's needs or his own? How can you tell? Finally, describe the decline of Simon's marriage to Charlotte. How do Simon's spending habits affect his relationship with his wife? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)