|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationality is Grandma?
2. Who is the father of Mimi Villar's baby?
3. Which of the following cities is Augie NOT disgusted with while traveling with Dingbat?
4. How does Augie perform in school in comparison to his brother Simon?
5. What room of the Owens' house does Augie live in with Kayo and Mimi?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Charlotte Magnus?
2. Who is "The Commissioner" and how does he die?
3. How does Augie betray William after the stock market crash?
4. Why is Augie fired from his job at Deever's Department Store?
5. Why do Augie and William visit a whore house together?
6. What type of relationship does Augie have with his mother at the opening of the novel?
7. Why does Augie meet regularly with his caseworker, Lubin?
8. Why does Simon sell his family house without telling anyone?
9. What religion does Augie's family practice?
10. What was Georges-Jacques Danton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grandma was a powerful force in the lives of the young March boys. First, describe Grandma's character and explain the way she related to the March family. Then, describe the level of power Grandma had over the March family and the decisions they made. Was Grandma generally a positive or negative influence in the March family lives. Finally, choose one major decision Grandma made for the March family and describe how she was given that power. What was the effect of Grandma's decision on the March family? Did she make a good or bad decision for the family? How can you tell? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Both Augie and Simon become romantically involved with wealthy families at various times in their lives. Describe the ideal of a "kept man" as described in the novel. Which March boy do you think is more of a kept man, Simon or Augie? How can you tell? Then, describe Augie's reaction to Simon's relationship with his wealthy wife. What does Augie admire about the relationship? What does he condemn? Explain whether or not you think Augie becomes hypocritical of Simon when he becomes involved with his own wealthy wife. What is the same about these two relationships? What is different? Is there anything unexpected or surprising in this comparison? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Augie March started his life with a rough family upbringing. First, describe the dynamic of Augie's family when he was born. What family life was he born into? Then, describe how Augie overcame his rough upbringing. What was expected of Augie's future when he was a boy? How did Augie overcome what was predicted or expected of him to create his own future? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)