|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From of the following disabilities does William Einhorn suffer from?
2. Which of the following monkeys does NOT belong to the "household trinity"?
3. Who illegally plays matchmaker for Five Properties when he decides it is time to get married?
4. What is Augie asked to distribute for his first real job?
5. What nationality is Guillaume?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Augie meet Esther Fenchel, and what is his reaction to her?
2. Why does Simon lose out on his engagement to Cissy Flexner?
3. How does William accommodate his wife's decorating whims in their living room?
4. How does the March family feel about Grandma's demand to institutionalize Georgie?
5. How does Augie feel about attending school?
6. Who is Charlotte Magnus?
7. How does Simon first show his cruelty when Augie works for him?
8. Why does Augie meet regularly with his caseworker, Lubin?
9. Why does Simon sell his family house without telling anyone?
10. Why do Augie and William visit a whore house together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Augie's relationship with his brother Georgie was difficult one due to Georgie's mental disabilities. First, describe Georgie's character. Why was he put away in a mental institution when he hit puberty? How did life in the mental institution affect Georgie's character? Then, describe Augie's relationship with his brother Georgie throughout his life. What was their relationship like as young boys? How did that relationship change when both boys reached maturity? How did his relationship with Georgie affect Augie's life decisions? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
When Augie was a teenager, he was given the job of working as a butler for William Einhorn. First, describe William Einhorn and his disabilities. Then, describe the tasks that Augie was expected to complete while working for Einhorn. Did Augie do well or struggle in this position? How can you tell? Finally, describe how the professional relationship between Augie and Einhorn dissolved. How did their professional meltdown affect their personal relationship? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Augie's relationship with Simon is one that took many turns during their adult lives together. First, describe the relationship Augie had with his brother Simon when they were young. Then, describe how that relationship changed as both reached adulthood. Choose two moments that you believe were turning points in the relationship between Simon and Augie and describe them here. How did these moments lead to the state of the relationship between Augie and Simon when the novel came to a close?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)