|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives best describes Grandma?
2. Who demands that Georgie be institutionalized when he reaches puberty?
3. What type of neighborhood does the March family live in?
4. How old is Augie when he gets his first job?
5. How does Augie react when the beautiful heiress turns down his dinner date proposal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is "Grandma"?
2. Who is Augie meant to marry when he is a teenager, and what is his reaction to this agreement?
3. Why does the Magnus family demand for the breakup of Augie and Lucy?
4. Why does Simon lose out on his engagement to Cissy Flexner?
5. What quarrelsome love triangle does Augie have to sort out, even though he is not involved in it?
6. Why does Augie meet regularly with his caseworker, Lubin?
7. How does the March family feel about Grandma's demand to institutionalize Georgie?
8. What was Georges-Jacques Danton?
9. Why is Augie fired from his job at Deever's Department Store?
10. Who is William Einhorn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Augie and Simon become romantically involved with wealthy families at various times in their lives. Describe the ideal of a "kept man" as described in the novel. Which March boy do you think is more of a kept man, Simon or Augie? How can you tell? Then, describe Augie's reaction to Simon's relationship with his wealthy wife. What does Augie admire about the relationship? What does he condemn? Explain whether or not you think Augie becomes hypocritical of Simon when he becomes involved with his own wealthy wife. What is the same about these two relationships? What is different? Is there anything unexpected or surprising in this comparison? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout his life, Augie considered Jimmy to be one of his best friends. First, describe the relationship between Jimmy and Augie when they were both young boys. Why do you think these two boys bonded so quickly? What type of trouble did the pair get into together? What punishments did each of the boys' receive? Then, describe how Jimmy came back into Augie's life when they were adults. How did Jimmy save Augie from a potentially sticky criminal situation? How did Augie pay Jimmy back for his friendship? How do you think Augie and Jimmy embody the ideal of "best friends forever"? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the situation in which Mimi Villa got pregnant. Why did she decide to terminate her pregnancy? Then, describe the process Mimi had to go through to end her pregnancy. Was the procedure safe? Why or why not? Finally, compare the reaction from the women in Mimi's life to her abortion with the reaction from the men. What sociological statement do you think Bellows is making about abortion through these interactions? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)