|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Augie's first love?
2. How many rooms is William's estate drained to after the stock market crash?
3. What does Manny Pedilla train Augie to steal with him?
4. Which of the following cities is Augie NOT disgusted with while traveling with Dingbat?
5. What crime did the daughter of the Dutch-Zeeland family commit before getting off scot free?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does William react when the stock market crashes in 1929?
2. Why is Augie fired from his job at Deever's Department Store?
3. Why is Thea planning to move to Mexico?
4. Who is "The Commissioner" and how does he die?
5. What lessons does Augie learn from the rich lawyer, Harold Mintouchian?
6. Who is Talavera?
7. Why is Augie forced to leave Chicago after signing up with the CIO?
8. How does Augie react when he sees Caligula for the first time?
9. Why does the Magnus family demand for the breakup of Augie and Lucy?
10. What is Augie's relationship to his younger brother, Georgie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The most constant force in Augie's life, from childhood to adulthood, was his relationship with the eccentric tycoon, William. Describe how Augie and William first met. Then, describe how that relationship changed as Augie reached adulthood. Choose two moments that you believe were turning points in the relationship between William and Augie and describe them. How did these moments lead to the state of the relationship between Augie and William when the novel came to a close?
Essay Topic 2
After Simon marries Charlotte, he has excess money to throw around. First, describe the way that Simon uses his money to manipulate his mother's life. Then, compare this to the way Simon uses his money to manipulate Georgie's life. Whose needs does Simon put first with his money, his family's needs or his own? How can you tell? Finally, describe the decline of Simon's marriage to Charlotte. How do Simon's spending habits affect his relationship with his wife? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout his life, Augie considered Jimmy to be one of his best friends. First, describe the relationship between Jimmy and Augie when they were both young boys. Why do you think these two boys bonded so quickly? What type of trouble did the pair get into together? What punishments did each of the boys' receive? Then, describe how Jimmy came back into Augie's life when they were adults. How did Jimmy save Augie from a potentially sticky criminal situation? How did Augie pay Jimmy back for his friendship? How do you think Augie and Jimmy embody the ideal of "best friends forever"? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 2,739 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)