|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What penalty does Augie receive when the department store presses charges against him?
2. What school subject does Manny Pedilla excel in?
3. To which city did Simon wire money that he borrowed from William?
4. What is "Grandma's" real name?
5. What is the name of Augie's first love?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Augie fired from his job at Deever's Department Store?
2. What type of obituary does William write after his father's death?
3. Where does Augie meet Esther Fenchel, and what is his reaction to her?
4. How does Augie feel about attending school?
5. Why do Augie and William visit a whore house together?
6. What quarrelsome love triangle does Augie have to sort out, even though he is not involved in it?
7. How does Augie betray William after the stock market crash?
8. How is Augie received when he meets the Magnus family for the first time?
9. What type of relationship does Augie have with his mother at the opening of the novel?
10. Why does Augie meet regularly with his caseworker, Lubin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The most constant force in Augie's life, from childhood to adulthood, was his relationship with the eccentric tycoon, William. Describe how Augie and William first met. Then, describe how that relationship changed as Augie reached adulthood. Choose two moments that you believe were turning points in the relationship between William and Augie and describe them. How did these moments lead to the state of the relationship between Augie and William when the novel came to a close?
Essay Topic 2
Augie's relationship with his brother Georgie was difficult one due to Georgie's mental disabilities. First, describe Georgie's character. Why was he put away in a mental institution when he hit puberty? How did life in the mental institution affect Georgie's character? Then, describe Augie's relationship with his brother Georgie throughout his life. What was their relationship like as young boys? How did that relationship change when both boys reached maturity? How did his relationship with Georgie affect Augie's life decisions? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the situation in which Mimi Villa got pregnant. Why did she decide to terminate her pregnancy? Then, describe the process Mimi had to go through to end her pregnancy. Was the procedure safe? Why or why not? Finally, compare the reaction from the women in Mimi's life to her abortion with the reaction from the men. What sociological statement do you think Bellows is making about abortion through these interactions? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)