|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following monkeys does NOT belong to the "household trinity"?
2. What penalty does Augie receive when the department store presses charges against him?
3. To which city did Simon wire money that he borrowed from William?
4. What type of animal does Augie associate with the Biblical prophet, Elijah?
5. Who pays for Augie to get new clothes before he meets the wealthy Magnus family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the CIO represent, and what is their aim?
2. How has Georgie's life changed in the time that Augie was living in Mexico City?
3. Who is "The Commissioner" and how does he die?
4. How does Augie react when he sees Thea for the first time since their resort stay in Michigan?
5. Who is Sophie Geratis?
6. What other famous disabled persons does Augie contemplate as he is caring for William Einhorn?
7. What bombshell does Frazer drop on Augie about his wife and marriage when Augie runs into him at a cafe in Paris?
8. Why is Augie fired from his job at Deever's Department Store?
9. What happens when Augie offers to drive his disfigured maid home to her family in Normandy at the end of the novel?
10. What job does Augie almost take working for Leon Trotsky?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the situation in which Mimi Villa got pregnant. Why did she decide to terminate her pregnancy? Then, describe the process Mimi had to go through to end her pregnancy. Was the procedure safe? Why or why not? Finally, compare the reaction from the women in Mimi's life to her abortion with the reaction from the men. What sociological statement do you think Bellows is making about abortion through these interactions? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Renee is a small, secondary character who makes a large splash in the lives of the March boys. Describe Renee's character. How was she initiated into the lives of the March boys. Then, describe the drama raised when Renee became pregnant. Who was the father of her baby? Why is this information significant to the text of the novel? Describe at least two different ways that Renee dramatically attempted to earn the attention of the March boys. Was she successful in her quest? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Augie's relationship with Mimi Villa is one that stays with him for the majority of his adult life. First, describe Mimi Villa. Where did she and Augie meet? Then, describe the incident that you believe led to the deep bond that formed between these two teenagers. How did they act as friends for each other in a way no one else would have been capable of? Then, describe the reaction from Augie's family and friends to his platonic relationship with Mimi. What troubles did he get into having such a close female friend? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 2,822 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)