|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To which city did Simon wire money that he borrowed from William?
2. Why does the matchmaker, Kriendle, believe that Simon should not marry?
3. Which of the following facts about Charlotte Magnus is NOT true?
4. How does William treat his tenants that cannot pay their rent on time?
5. Why does Augie leave the services of the Renlings?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is William Einhorn?
2. How does Bateshaw prevent Augie from flagging down a passing ship after their Marine boat sinks?
3. What is Augie's relationship to his younger brother, Georgie?
4. What makes Augie squeamish about training Caligula?
5. Why is Augie forced to leave Chicago after signing up with the CIO?
6. How has Simon's appearance changed during the time that Augie was living in Mexico City?
7. Why does Augie leave the services of Mr. and Mrs. Renling?
8. What religion does Augie's family practice?
9. Why does Simon sell his family house without telling anyone?
10. Why do Augie and Thea break up?
Essay Topic 1
While Augie is aboard the MacManus working for the Merchant Marines, he is one of two men who manage to live through the ship's sinking. Describe the way that Augie managed to save his life when all the other soldiers went down with the ship. Then, describe the way that Augie paid homage to the lives of the sailors lost at sea. To whom did he tell the sailor's stories? Finally, describe how Augie finally made it back to land after drifting in the water for days. What was Augie's emotional reaction to his homecoming? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
When Augie was a teenager, he was given the job of working as a butler for William Einhorn. First, describe William Einhorn and his disabilities. Then, describe the tasks that Augie was expected to complete while working for Einhorn. Did Augie do well or struggle in this position? How can you tell? Finally, describe how the professional relationship between Augie and Einhorn dissolved. How did their professional meltdown affect their personal relationship? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Grandma was a powerful force in the lives of the young March boys. First, describe Grandma's character and explain the way she related to the March family. Then, describe the level of power Grandma had over the March family and the decisions they made. Was Grandma generally a positive or negative influence in the March family lives. Finally, choose one major decision Grandma made for the March family and describe how she was given that power. What was the effect of Grandma's decision on the March family? Did she make a good or bad decision for the family? How can you tell? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 2,863 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)