|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationality is Grandma?
2. Who demands that Georgie be institutionalized when he reaches puberty?
3. What is the name of the March family's caseworker at the local Charity?
4. How does Augie help Mimi raise money for her abortion?
5. In what year of high school does Augie get his job working for William Einhorn?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is William Einhorn?
2. How is Augie received when he meets the Magnus family for the first time?
3. Who is Charlotte Magnus?
4. Who is "The Commissioner" and how does he die?
5. What type of obituary does William write after his father's death?
6. Why does Simon lose out on his engagement to Cissy Flexner?
7. Why does the Magnus family demand for the breakup of Augie and Lucy?
8. How does the March family feel about Grandma's demand to institutionalize Georgie?
9. Why does Augie leave the services of Mr. and Mrs. Renling?
10. How does William react when the stock market crashes in 1929?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After years of living as a bachelor, Augie finally settles down and marries Stella, the woman he met in Mexico. First, describe how Augie and Stella found each other years after they first met in Mexico. Then, describe the reaction from Augie's family and friends when they heard that Augie would soon be getting married. Were they supportive of his decision? Why or why not? Finally, explain weather or not marriage to Stella was what Augie had hoped for when settling down. Is he satisfied in his marriage? How can you tell? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
The tension between Poles and Jews in Chicago in the early 1920's is blatantly apparent in Augie's description of his childhood in a Polish neighborhood. First, describe what life was like for the March family living as the only Jewish family in a Polish neighborhood. How was the family treated in the neighborhood? How were the boys treated at school? Then,describe the relationship Augie had with the Kriendl family. How did race relations fuel the bond in this unlikely family? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Because of the desperate financial situation Augie finds himself in, he enters a life of crime with fellow thug, Joe Gormon. First, describe Joe Gormon's character. How did he and Augie meet? Why was Augie seduced by Joe's life of crime? Then, choose one major crime Augie committed while working with Gormon. Who was the victim of this crime? What was the short-term payoff for Augie? In your opinion, was the short-term payoff for this crime worth the long-term effects on Augie's life? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)