|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What school subject does Manny Pedilla excel in?
2. Who demands that Georgie be institutionalized when he reaches puberty?
3. What room of the Owens' house does Augie live in with Kayo and Mimi?
4. What color hair does Augie have?
5. What does Joe Gormon do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of relationship does Augie have with his mother at the opening of the novel?
2. Why is Augie sent to live with his cousins, the Coblins?
3. Who is Charlotte Magnus?
4. What was Georges-Jacques Danton?
5. Who is Augie meant to marry when he is a teenager, and what is his reaction to this agreement?
6. How do Simon and Augie compete when enrolled in college?
7. How does Simon first show his cruelty when Augie works for him?
8. Who was King Croesus?
9. How does Augie betray William after the stock market crash?
10. What religion does Augie's family practice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This novel covers a great span of historical time, including the labor movements of the 1930's. First, describe the complaint laborers had in the 1930's. How was their situation fueled by the stock market crash of the 1920's? Describe at least three of the political parties that were formed as a result of the labor movement. What was each of their stances on the rights of workers in the 1930's? Discuss Augie's involvement with the labor movement. How did Augie's involvement affect his life personally during the 1930's? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Because of the desperate financial situation Augie finds himself in, he enters a life of crime with fellow thug, Joe Gormon. First, describe Joe Gormon's character. How did he and Augie meet? Why was Augie seduced by Joe's life of crime? Then, choose one major crime Augie committed while working with Gormon. Who was the victim of this crime? What was the short-term payoff for Augie? In your opinion, was the short-term payoff for this crime worth the long-term effects on Augie's life? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Because his family was poor, Augie took odd jobs to help support his family. Choose two of the odd jobs Augie took to help support his family while he was a teenager and describe his tasks. Which jobs did Augie tend to excel in? Why did Augie jump from job to job so often? Finally, describe one major life lesson that Augie learned while working odd jobs for his family. How did working this job affect Augie's decisions later in life? How can you tell? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)