|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To which city did Simon wire money that he borrowed from William?
2. What is the term "skyscraper leaps" another name for?
3. What type of business does William run?
4. What color hair does Augie have?
5. What school subject does Manny Pedilla excel in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What religion does Augie's family practice?
2. Why is Augie fired from his job at Deever's Department Store?
3. How does Simon first show his cruelty when Augie works for him?
4. What lecture does William give to Augie after the break in at his pool hall?
5. Why does Augie meet regularly with his caseworker, Lubin?
6. How does the March family feel about Grandma's demand to institutionalize Georgie?
7. Who is "The Commissioner" and how does he die?
8. How does Augie betray William after the stock market crash?
9. How does Augie feel about attending school?
10. What type of obituary does William write after his father's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Augie's relationship with Simon is one that took many turns during their adult lives together. First, describe the relationship Augie had with his brother Simon when they were young. Then, describe how that relationship changed as both reached adulthood. Choose two moments that you believe were turning points in the relationship between Simon and Augie and describe them here. How did these moments lead to the state of the relationship between Augie and Simon when the novel came to a close?
Essay Topic 2
This novel covers a great span of historical time, including the labor movements of the 1930's. First, describe the complaint laborers had in the 1930's. How was their situation fueled by the stock market crash of the 1920's? Describe at least three of the political parties that were formed as a result of the labor movement. What was each of their stances on the rights of workers in the 1930's? Discuss Augie's involvement with the labor movement. How did Augie's involvement affect his life personally during the 1930's? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Both Augie and Simon become romantically involved with wealthy families at various times in their lives. Describe the ideal of a "kept man" as described in the novel. Which March boy do you think is more of a kept man, Simon or Augie? How can you tell? Then, describe Augie's reaction to Simon's relationship with his wealthy wife. What does Augie admire about the relationship? What does he condemn? Explain whether or not you think Augie becomes hypocritical of Simon when he becomes involved with his own wealthy wife. What is the same about these two relationships? What is different? Is there anything unexpected or surprising in this comparison? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)