Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following references is NOT made by Augie in the opening section of the novel?
2. In what year did the stock market crash?
3. How does Grandma feel about Augie working for William Einhorn?
4. How does WIlliam's wife feel about his frequent trips to the whorehouse?
5. Where was the Rosetta Stone discovered in the 18th Century?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lessons does Augie learn from the rich lawyer, Harold Mintouchian?
2. What quarrelsome love triangle does Augie have to sort out, even though he is not involved in it?
3. Who is William Einhorn?
4. Who is Talavera?
5. How does William feel about Augie's relationship with Mimi Villars?
6. How does William react when the stock market crashes in 1929?
7. How has Georgie's life changed in the time that Augie was living in Mexico City?
8. What job does Augie almost take working for Leon Trotsky?
9. What work does Augie do for the eccentric millionaire, Robey?
10. What lecture does William give to Augie after the break in at his pool hall?
Essay Topic 1
Both Augie and Simon become romantically involved with wealthy families at various times in their lives. Describe the ideal of a "kept man" as described in the novel. Which March boy do you think is more of a kept man, Simon or Augie? How can you tell? Then, describe Augie's reaction to Simon's relationship with his wealthy wife. What does Augie admire about the relationship? What does he condemn? Explain whether or not you think Augie becomes hypocritical of Simon when he becomes involved with his own wealthy wife. What is the same about these two relationships? What is different? Is there anything unexpected or surprising in this comparison? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
After years of living as a bachelor, Augie finally settles down and marries Stella, the woman he met in Mexico. First, describe how Augie and Stella found each other years after they first met in Mexico. Then, describe the reaction from Augie's family and friends when they heard that Augie would soon be getting married. Were they supportive of his decision? Why or why not? Finally, explain weather or not marriage to Stella was what Augie had hoped for when settling down. Is he satisfied in his marriage? How can you tell? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Because of the desperate financial situation Augie finds himself in, he enters a life of crime with fellow thug, Joe Gormon. First, describe Joe Gormon's character. How did he and Augie meet? Why was Augie seduced by Joe's life of crime? Then, choose one major crime Augie committed while working with Gormon. Who was the victim of this crime? What was the short-term payoff for Augie? In your opinion, was the short-term payoff for this crime worth the long-term effects on Augie's life? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 2,791 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)