|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Augie want to marry Friedle Coblin?
2. What type of neighborhood does the March family live in?
3. Who sold Augie's family home without telling him?
4. How does William treat his tenants that cannot pay their rent on time?
5. What nationality is Grandma?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Augie leave the services of Mr. and Mrs. Renling?
2. Why do Augie and William visit a whore house together?
3. What job does Augie help Dingbat with which involves travel to Michigan?
4. How does Augie feel about attending school?
5. What religion does Augie's family practice?
6. What type of relationship does Augie have with his mother at the opening of the novel?
7. Who is Charlotte Magnus?
8. Why does Augie meet regularly with his caseworker, Lubin?
9. What type of obituary does William write after his father's death?
10. How does Augie betray William after the stock market crash?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Augie's relationship with his brother Georgie was difficult one due to Georgie's mental disabilities. First, describe Georgie's character. Why was he put away in a mental institution when he hit puberty? How did life in the mental institution affect Georgie's character? Then, describe Augie's relationship with his brother Georgie throughout his life. What was their relationship like as young boys? How did that relationship change when both boys reached maturity? How did his relationship with Georgie affect Augie's life decisions? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
The tension between Poles and Jews in Chicago in the early 1920's is blatantly apparent in Augie's description of his childhood in a Polish neighborhood. First, describe what life was like for the March family living as the only Jewish family in a Polish neighborhood. How was the family treated in the neighborhood? How were the boys treated at school? Then,describe the relationship Augie had with the Kriendl family. How did race relations fuel the bond in this unlikely family? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Augie March started his life with a rough family upbringing. First, describe the dynamic of Augie's family when he was born. What family life was he born into? Then, describe how Augie overcame his rough upbringing. What was expected of Augie's future when he was a boy? How did Augie overcome what was predicted or expected of him to create his own future? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)