Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following references is NOT made by Augie in the opening section of the novel?
2. In what year did the stock market crash?
3. How does Grandma feel about Augie working for William Einhorn?
4. How does WIlliam's wife feel about his frequent trips to the whorehouse?
5. Where was the Rosetta Stone discovered in the 18th Century?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lessons does Augie learn from the rich lawyer, Harold Mintouchian?
2. What quarrelsome love triangle does Augie have to sort out, even though he is not involved in it?
3. Who is William Einhorn?
4. Who is Talavera?
5. How does William feel about Augie's relationship with Mimi Villars?
6. How does William react when the stock market crashes in 1929?
7. How has Georgie's life changed in the time that Augie was living in Mexico City?
8. What job does Augie almost take working for Leon Trotsky?
9. What work does Augie do for the eccentric millionaire, Robey?
10. What lecture does William give to Augie after the break in at his pool hall?
Grandma was a powerful force in the lives of the young March boys. First, describe Grandma's character and explain the way she related to the March family. Then, describe the level of power Grandma had over the March family and the decisions they made. Was Grandma generally a positive or negative influence in the March family lives. Finally, choose one major decision Grandma made for the March family and describe how she was given that power. What was the effect of Grandma's decision on the March family? Did she make a good or bad decision for the family? How can you tell? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
When Augie was a teenager, he was given the job of working as a butler for William Einhorn. First, describe William Einhorn and his disabilities. Then, describe the tasks that Augie was expected to complete while working for Einhorn. Did Augie do well or struggle in this position? How can you tell? Finally, describe how the professional relationship between Augie and Einhorn dissolved. How did their professional meltdown affect their personal relationship? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Augie March started his life with a rough family upbringing. First, describe the dynamic of Augie's family when he was born. What family life was he born into? Then, describe how Augie overcame his rough upbringing. What was expected of Augie's future when he was a boy? How did Augie overcome what was predicted or expected of him to create his own future? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)