|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Augie asked to distribute for his first real job?
2. What nationality is Grandma?
3. From of the following disabilities does William Einhorn suffer from?
4. How old is Augie March at the opening of the novel?
5. Which of the following facts about Charlotte Magnus is NOT true?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was King Croesus?
2. What lecture does William give to Augie after the break in at his pool hall?
3. What job does Augie help Dingbat with which involves travel to Michigan?
4. Who is "The Commissioner" and how does he die?
5. Why is Augie fired from his job at Deever's Department Store?
6. How does the March family feel about Grandma's demand to institutionalize Georgie?
7. Why does Simon sell his family house without telling anyone?
8. What other famous disabled persons does Augie contemplate as he is caring for William Einhorn?
9. Who is "Grandma"?
10. Why does Augie leave the services of Mr. and Mrs. Renling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The tension between Poles and Jews in Chicago in the early 1920's is blatantly apparent in Augie's description of his childhood in a Polish neighborhood. First, describe what life was like for the March family living as the only Jewish family in a Polish neighborhood. How was the family treated in the neighborhood? How were the boys treated at school? Then,describe the relationship Augie had with the Kriendl family. How did race relations fuel the bond in this unlikely family? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Because his family was poor, Augie took odd jobs to help support his family. Choose two of the odd jobs Augie took to help support his family while he was a teenager and describe his tasks. Which jobs did Augie tend to excel in? Why did Augie jump from job to job so often? Finally, describe one major life lesson that Augie learned while working odd jobs for his family. How did working this job affect Augie's decisions later in life? How can you tell? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Renee is a small, secondary character who makes a large splash in the lives of the March boys. Describe Renee's character. How was she initiated into the lives of the March boys. Then, describe the drama raised when Renee became pregnant. Who was the father of her baby? Why is this information significant to the text of the novel? Describe at least two different ways that Renee dramatically attempted to earn the attention of the March boys. Was she successful in her quest? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)