|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city does the March family live in?
2. Who made love to Momma's maid, leading to her prompt firing?
3. What room of the Owens' house does Augie live in with Kayo and Mimi?
4. Which of the following characters aligns himself with communism after the stock market crash?
5. What event does William celebrate with Augie by taking him to a whorehouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Simon first show his cruelty when Augie works for him?
2. Who is "The Commissioner" and how does he die?
3. Who was King Croesus?
4. How does the March family feel about Grandma's demand to institutionalize Georgie?
5. How does William accommodate his wife's decorating whims in their living room?
6. Who is Augie meant to marry when he is a teenager, and what is his reaction to this agreement?
7. Why does the Magnus family demand for the breakup of Augie and Lucy?
8. What other famous disabled persons does Augie contemplate as he is caring for William Einhorn?
9. Why does Simon sell his family house without telling anyone?
10. How does Augie betray William after the stock market crash?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This novel covers a great span of historical time, including the labor movements of the 1930's. First, describe the complaint laborers had in the 1930's. How was their situation fueled by the stock market crash of the 1920's? Describe at least three of the political parties that were formed as a result of the labor movement. What was each of their stances on the rights of workers in the 1930's? Discuss Augie's involvement with the labor movement. How did Augie's involvement affect his life personally during the 1930's? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Both Augie and Simon become romantically involved with wealthy families at various times in their lives. Describe the ideal of a "kept man" as described in the novel. Which March boy do you think is more of a kept man, Simon or Augie? How can you tell? Then, describe Augie's reaction to Simon's relationship with his wealthy wife. What does Augie admire about the relationship? What does he condemn? Explain whether or not you think Augie becomes hypocritical of Simon when he becomes involved with his own wealthy wife. What is the same about these two relationships? What is different? Is there anything unexpected or surprising in this comparison? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Renee is a small, secondary character who makes a large splash in the lives of the March boys. Describe Renee's character. How was she initiated into the lives of the March boys. Then, describe the drama raised when Renee became pregnant. Who was the father of her baby? Why is this information significant to the text of the novel? Describe at least two different ways that Renee dramatically attempted to earn the attention of the March boys. Was she successful in her quest? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)