|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following references is NOT made by Augie in the opening section of the novel?
2. How old is Augie when he gets his first job?
3. How much rent does Augie pay to the Owens every month for the room he shares with two other students?
4. Which of the following characters does MImi VIllars NOT have a romantic relationship with?
5. What is the name of the beautiful heiress that Augie instantly falls in love with at the resort?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Simon first show his cruelty when Augie works for him?
2. What is Augie's relationship to his younger brother, Georgie?
3. Why is Augie fired from his job at Deever's Department Store?
4. Who is "The Commissioner" and how does he die?
5. Who is Augie meant to marry when he is a teenager, and what is his reaction to this agreement?
6. How is Augie received when he meets the Magnus family for the first time?
7. What type of obituary does William write after his father's death?
8. Why does Augie leave the services of Mr. and Mrs. Renling?
9. Who is "Grandma"?
10. What was Georges-Jacques Danton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Augie and Simon become romantically involved with wealthy families at various times in their lives. Describe the ideal of a "kept man" as described in the novel. Which March boy do you think is more of a kept man, Simon or Augie? How can you tell? Then, describe Augie's reaction to Simon's relationship with his wealthy wife. What does Augie admire about the relationship? What does he condemn? Explain whether or not you think Augie becomes hypocritical of Simon when he becomes involved with his own wealthy wife. What is the same about these two relationships? What is different? Is there anything unexpected or surprising in this comparison? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
When Augie was a young boy, he fell in love with a girl named Hilda, and through his adulthood, arguably, worked to remove Hilda from his heart forever. First, describe Augie's first experiences with love in his relationship with Hilda. What was the reaction from Augie's family and friends to his relationship with Hilda? Describe the general flow of Augie's love life after his relationship with Hilda ended. How did Augie actively work to remove the love for Hilda from his heart? Was he successful? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Renee is a small, secondary character who makes a large splash in the lives of the March boys. Describe Renee's character. How was she initiated into the lives of the March boys. Then, describe the drama raised when Renee became pregnant. Who was the father of her baby? Why is this information significant to the text of the novel? Describe at least two different ways that Renee dramatically attempted to earn the attention of the March boys. Was she successful in her quest? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)