|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Manny Pedilla train Augie to steal with him?
2. How is Anna Coblin related to Five Properties?
3. What is "Grandma's" real name?
4. How many rooms is William's estate drained to after the stock market crash?
5. Who is the father of Mimi Villar's baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of obituary does William write after his father's death?
2. Why does Simon sell his family house without telling anyone?
3. Where does Augie meet Esther Fenchel, and what is his reaction to her?
4. What other famous disabled persons does Augie contemplate as he is caring for William Einhorn?
5. Why do Augie and William visit a whore house together?
6. Who is "Grandma"?
7. Who is "The Commissioner" and how does he die?
8. How does the March family feel about Grandma's demand to institutionalize Georgie?
9. What is Augie's relationship to his younger brother, Georgie?
10. What quarrelsome love triangle does Augie have to sort out, even though he is not involved in it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Augie's relationship with his brother Georgie was difficult one due to Georgie's mental disabilities. First, describe Georgie's character. Why was he put away in a mental institution when he hit puberty? How did life in the mental institution affect Georgie's character? Then, describe Augie's relationship with his brother Georgie throughout his life. What was their relationship like as young boys? How did that relationship change when both boys reached maturity? How did his relationship with Georgie affect Augie's life decisions? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Because of the desperate financial situation Augie finds himself in, he enters a life of crime with fellow thug, Joe Gormon. First, describe Joe Gormon's character. How did he and Augie meet? Why was Augie seduced by Joe's life of crime? Then, choose one major crime Augie committed while working with Gormon. Who was the victim of this crime? What was the short-term payoff for Augie? In your opinion, was the short-term payoff for this crime worth the long-term effects on Augie's life? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Augie's relationship with Mimi Villa is one that stays with him for the majority of his adult life. First, describe Mimi Villa. Where did she and Augie meet? Then, describe the incident that you believe led to the deep bond that formed between these two teenagers. How did they act as friends for each other in a way no one else would have been capable of? Then, describe the reaction from Augie's family and friends to his platonic relationship with Mimi. What troubles did he get into having such a close female friend? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)