|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Augie's first love?
2. What does Augie steal from the department store at Christmas time, leading to his prompt firing from the position?
3. What type of dog is Winnie?
4. What is the name of Augie's childhood best friend?
5. Which of Augie's character traits does Simon play up when Augie meets the Magnuses for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Georgie's life changed in the time that Augie was living in Mexico City?
2. Why does Simon lose out on his engagement to Cissy Flexner?
3. What connection does Augie realize he has with the Soviet exile, Leon Trotsky?
4. Why do Augie and William visit a whore house together?
5. What was Georges-Jacques Danton?
6. What is Augie's relationship to his younger brother, Georgie?
7. How does Simon first show his cruelty when Augie works for him?
8. Who is "The Commissioner" and how does he die?
9. Who is Talavera?
10. Why is Augie sent to live with his cousins, the Coblins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Education is something that was extremely important to the March family and to Grandma. First, describe why Grandma was set in ensuring that the March boys receive proper education. How did she go about ensuring that her boys became educated citizens? Then, compare Simon's performance in school with Augie's performance in school. Why does Augie struggle in school? How does Augie's lack of education affect his future? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
The most constant force in Augie's life, from childhood to adulthood, was his relationship with the eccentric tycoon, William. Describe how Augie and William first met. Then, describe how that relationship changed as Augie reached adulthood. Choose two moments that you believe were turning points in the relationship between William and Augie and describe them. How did these moments lead to the state of the relationship between Augie and William when the novel came to a close?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the situation in which Mimi Villa got pregnant. Why did she decide to terminate her pregnancy? Then, describe the process Mimi had to go through to end her pregnancy. Was the procedure safe? Why or why not? Finally, compare the reaction from the women in Mimi's life to her abortion with the reaction from the men. What sociological statement do you think Bellows is making about abortion through these interactions? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 2,742 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)