|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does WInnie die?
2. Who does Joe Gormon partner up with to rob William's pool hall?
3. Which of the following characters does MImi VIllars NOT have a romantic relationship with?
4. What University does William's only son, Arthur, attend?
5. At what age is Augie expected to get married?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Charlotte Magnus?
2. What religion does Augie's family practice?
3. Who is William Einhorn?
4. What type of obituary does William write after his father's death?
5. How does the March family feel about Grandma's demand to institutionalize Georgie?
6. Why does the Magnus family demand for the breakup of Augie and Lucy?
7. What other famous disabled persons does Augie contemplate as he is caring for William Einhorn?
8. How does William react when the stock market crashes in 1929?
9. Why do Augie and William visit a whore house together?
10. How do Simon and Augie compete when enrolled in college?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Augie is aboard the MacManus working for the Merchant Marines, he is one of two men who manage to live through the ship's sinking. Describe the way that Augie managed to save his life when all the other soldiers went down with the ship. Then, describe the way that Augie paid homage to the lives of the sailors lost at sea. To whom did he tell the sailor's stories? Finally, describe how Augie finally made it back to land after drifting in the water for days. What was Augie's emotional reaction to his homecoming? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
After Simon marries Charlotte, he has excess money to throw around. First, describe the way that Simon uses his money to manipulate his mother's life. Then, compare this to the way Simon uses his money to manipulate Georgie's life. Whose needs does Simon put first with his money, his family's needs or his own? How can you tell? Finally, describe the decline of Simon's marriage to Charlotte. How do Simon's spending habits affect his relationship with his wife? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
This novel covers a great span of historical time, including the labor movements of the 1930's. First, describe the complaint laborers had in the 1930's. How was their situation fueled by the stock market crash of the 1920's? Describe at least three of the political parties that were formed as a result of the labor movement. What was each of their stances on the rights of workers in the 1930's? Discuss Augie's involvement with the labor movement. How did Augie's involvement affect his life personally during the 1930's? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)