Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following references is NOT made by Augie in the opening section of the novel?
2. In what year did the stock market crash?
3. How does Grandma feel about Augie working for William Einhorn?
4. How does WIlliam's wife feel about his frequent trips to the whorehouse?
5. Where was the Rosetta Stone discovered in the 18th Century?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lessons does Augie learn from the rich lawyer, Harold Mintouchian?
2. What quarrelsome love triangle does Augie have to sort out, even though he is not involved in it?
3. Who is William Einhorn?
4. Who is Talavera?
5. How does William feel about Augie's relationship with Mimi Villars?
6. How does William react when the stock market crashes in 1929?
7. How has Georgie's life changed in the time that Augie was living in Mexico City?
8. What job does Augie almost take working for Leon Trotsky?
9. What work does Augie do for the eccentric millionaire, Robey?
10. What lecture does William give to Augie after the break in at his pool hall?
Essay Topic 1
When Augie was a teenager, he was given the job of working as a butler for William Einhorn. First, describe William Einhorn and his disabilities. Then, describe the tasks that Augie was expected to complete while working for Einhorn. Did Augie do well or struggle in this position? How can you tell? Finally, describe how the professional relationship between Augie and Einhorn dissolved. How did their professional meltdown affect their personal relationship? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Augie's relationship with Mimi Villa is one that stays with him for the majority of his adult life. First, describe Mimi Villa. Where did she and Augie meet? Then, describe the incident that you believe led to the deep bond that formed between these two teenagers. How did they act as friends for each other in a way no one else would have been capable of? Then, describe the reaction from Augie's family and friends to his platonic relationship with Mimi. What troubles did he get into having such a close female friend? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Because his family was poor, Augie took odd jobs to help support his family. Choose two of the odd jobs Augie took to help support his family while he was a teenager and describe his tasks. Which jobs did Augie tend to excel in? Why did Augie jump from job to job so often? Finally, describe one major life lesson that Augie learned while working odd jobs for his family. How did working this job affect Augie's decisions later in life? How can you tell? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)