|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationality is Guillaume?
2. What color hair does Augie have?
3. What type of neighborhood does the March family live in?
4. What is the name of the old folks' home that Simon arranges for Grandma?
5. To which state does Mrs. Renling take Augie so he can vacation in a resort?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Magnus family demand for the breakup of Augie and Lucy?
2. Why does Simon lose out on his engagement to Cissy Flexner?
3. What religion does Augie's family practice?
4. How does Simon first show his cruelty when Augie works for him?
5. Who was King Croesus?
6. How does William react when the stock market crashes in 1929?
7. Who is Charlotte Magnus?
8. Why does Augie meet regularly with his caseworker, Lubin?
9. What type of obituary does William write after his father's death?
10. Why do Augie and William visit a whore house together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout his life, Augie considered Jimmy to be one of his best friends. First, describe the relationship between Jimmy and Augie when they were both young boys. Why do you think these two boys bonded so quickly? What type of trouble did the pair get into together? What punishments did each of the boys' receive? Then, describe how Jimmy came back into Augie's life when they were adults. How did Jimmy save Augie from a potentially sticky criminal situation? How did Augie pay Jimmy back for his friendship? How do you think Augie and Jimmy embody the ideal of "best friends forever"? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
This novel covers a great span of historical time, including the labor movements of the 1930's. First, describe the complaint laborers had in the 1930's. How was their situation fueled by the stock market crash of the 1920's? Describe at least three of the political parties that were formed as a result of the labor movement. What was each of their stances on the rights of workers in the 1930's? Discuss Augie's involvement with the labor movement. How did Augie's involvement affect his life personally during the 1930's? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Because of the desperate financial situation Augie finds himself in, he enters a life of crime with fellow thug, Joe Gormon. First, describe Joe Gormon's character. How did he and Augie meet? Why was Augie seduced by Joe's life of crime? Then, choose one major crime Augie committed while working with Gormon. Who was the victim of this crime? What was the short-term payoff for Augie? In your opinion, was the short-term payoff for this crime worth the long-term effects on Augie's life? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)