|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Gorman promise to pay Augie for helping him smuggle Canadians over the border?
2. Where was the Rosetta Stone discovered in the 18th Century?
3. What nationality is Grandma?
4. From of the following disabilities does William Einhorn suffer from?
5. Which room of his house does William burn down to please his wife's redecorating ideals?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Simon and Augie compete when enrolled in college?
2. Why does Augie meet regularly with his caseworker, Lubin?
3. Who is "The Commissioner" and how does he die?
4. Who is William Einhorn?
5. Why does Augie leave the services of Mr. and Mrs. Renling?
6. Why does the Magnus family demand for the breakup of Augie and Lucy?
7. Why is Augie fired from his job at Deever's Department Store?
8. What religion does Augie's family practice?
9. Why does Simon sell his family house without telling anyone?
10. Why do Augie and William visit a whore house together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Augie was a teenager, he was given the job of working as a butler for William Einhorn. First, describe William Einhorn and his disabilities. Then, describe the tasks that Augie was expected to complete while working for Einhorn. Did Augie do well or struggle in this position? How can you tell? Finally, describe how the professional relationship between Augie and Einhorn dissolved. How did their professional meltdown affect their personal relationship? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Because of the desperate financial situation Augie finds himself in, he enters a life of crime with fellow thug, Joe Gormon. First, describe Joe Gormon's character. How did he and Augie meet? Why was Augie seduced by Joe's life of crime? Then, choose one major crime Augie committed while working with Gormon. Who was the victim of this crime? What was the short-term payoff for Augie? In your opinion, was the short-term payoff for this crime worth the long-term effects on Augie's life? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
When Augie was a young boy, he fell in love with a girl named Hilda, and through his adulthood, arguably, worked to remove Hilda from his heart forever. First, describe Augie's first experiences with love in his relationship with Hilda. What was the reaction from Augie's family and friends to his relationship with Hilda? Describe the general flow of Augie's love life after his relationship with Hilda ended. How did Augie actively work to remove the love for Hilda from his heart? Was he successful? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)