|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of animal does Guillaume work with in his business?
2. What rubberized decoration does Augie attempt to sell for bathroom redecoration after leaving the Renlings?
3. Who illegally plays matchmaker for Five Properties when he decides it is time to get married?
4. Which of the following characters believes that "everyone sees to it his fate is shared"?
5. What job does Augie help his cousins, the Coblins, complete?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the March family feel about Grandma's demand to institutionalize Georgie?
2. Who is "Grandma"?
3. Who was King Croesus?
4. Who is William Einhorn?
5. How do Simon and Augie compete when enrolled in college?
6. Who is Augie meant to marry when he is a teenager, and what is his reaction to this agreement?
7. How is Augie received when he meets the Magnus family for the first time?
8. Why does Augie meet regularly with his caseworker, Lubin?
9. Why do Augie and William visit a whore house together?
10. Why does Augie leave the services of Mr. and Mrs. Renling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Augie's relationship with Simon is one that took many turns during their adult lives together. First, describe the relationship Augie had with his brother Simon when they were young. Then, describe how that relationship changed as both reached adulthood. Choose two moments that you believe were turning points in the relationship between Simon and Augie and describe them here. How did these moments lead to the state of the relationship between Augie and Simon when the novel came to a close?
Essay Topic 2
Because his family was poor, Augie took odd jobs to help support his family. Choose two of the odd jobs Augie took to help support his family while he was a teenager and describe his tasks. Which jobs did Augie tend to excel in? Why did Augie jump from job to job so often? Finally, describe one major life lesson that Augie learned while working odd jobs for his family. How did working this job affect Augie's decisions later in life? How can you tell? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The most constant force in Augie's life, from childhood to adulthood, was his relationship with the eccentric tycoon, William. Describe how Augie and William first met. Then, describe how that relationship changed as Augie reached adulthood. Choose two moments that you believe were turning points in the relationship between William and Augie and describe them. How did these moments lead to the state of the relationship between Augie and William when the novel came to a close?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)