|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who marries Simon's fiancé when he is forbidden to marry her?
2. What was the name of Simon's fiancé?
3. Which of the following characters aligns himself with communism after the stock market crash?
4. What does Manny Pedilla train Augie to steal with him?
5. Which of the following ailments begins to plague Momma in her old age?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Charlotte Magnus?
2. What was Georges-Jacques Danton?
3. Why is Augie fired from his job at Deever's Department Store?
4. What quarrelsome love triangle does Augie have to sort out, even though he is not involved in it?
5. What is Augie's relationship to his younger brother, Georgie?
6. What job does Augie help Dingbat with which involves travel to Michigan?
7. What type of relationship does Augie have with his mother at the opening of the novel?
8. Who is "Grandma"?
9. Why does Simon sell his family house without telling anyone?
10. How does Augie betray William after the stock market crash?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Because of the desperate financial situation Augie finds himself in, he enters a life of crime with fellow thug, Joe Gormon. First, describe Joe Gormon's character. How did he and Augie meet? Why was Augie seduced by Joe's life of crime? Then, choose one major crime Augie committed while working with Gormon. Who was the victim of this crime? What was the short-term payoff for Augie? In your opinion, was the short-term payoff for this crime worth the long-term effects on Augie's life? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Augie's relationship with Simon is one that took many turns during their adult lives together. First, describe the relationship Augie had with his brother Simon when they were young. Then, describe how that relationship changed as both reached adulthood. Choose two moments that you believe were turning points in the relationship between Simon and Augie and describe them here. How did these moments lead to the state of the relationship between Augie and Simon when the novel came to a close?
Essay Topic 3
Both Augie and Simon become romantically involved with wealthy families at various times in their lives. Describe the ideal of a "kept man" as described in the novel. Which March boy do you think is more of a kept man, Simon or Augie? How can you tell? Then, describe Augie's reaction to Simon's relationship with his wealthy wife. What does Augie admire about the relationship? What does he condemn? Explain whether or not you think Augie becomes hypocritical of Simon when he becomes involved with his own wealthy wife. What is the same about these two relationships? What is different? Is there anything unexpected or surprising in this comparison? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)