|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Augie help his cousins, the Coblins, complete?
2. What is Augie asked to distribute for his first real job?
3. What does Joe Gormon do for a living?
4. Which of the following adjectives best describes the Coblins', household?
5. What crime did the daughter of the Dutch-Zeeland family commit before getting off scot free?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Augie sent to live with his cousins, the Coblins?
2. How does William accommodate his wife's decorating whims in their living room?
3. How does Augie betray William after the stock market crash?
4. Why do Augie and William visit a whore house together?
5. Why does Augie leave the services of Mr. and Mrs. Renling?
6. Who was King Croesus?
7. Who is William Einhorn?
8. What quarrelsome love triangle does Augie have to sort out, even though he is not involved in it?
9. Why is Augie fired from his job at Deever's Department Store?
10. Who is Augie meant to marry when he is a teenager, and what is his reaction to this agreement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Augie's relationship with Mimi Villa is one that stays with him for the majority of his adult life. First, describe Mimi Villa. Where did she and Augie meet? Then, describe the incident that you believe led to the deep bond that formed between these two teenagers. How did they act as friends for each other in a way no one else would have been capable of? Then, describe the reaction from Augie's family and friends to his platonic relationship with Mimi. What troubles did he get into having such a close female friend? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Because of the desperate financial situation Augie finds himself in, he enters a life of crime with fellow thug, Joe Gormon. First, describe Joe Gormon's character. How did he and Augie meet? Why was Augie seduced by Joe's life of crime? Then, choose one major crime Augie committed while working with Gormon. Who was the victim of this crime? What was the short-term payoff for Augie? In your opinion, was the short-term payoff for this crime worth the long-term effects on Augie's life? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Both Augie and Simon become romantically involved with wealthy families at various times in their lives. Describe the ideal of a "kept man" as described in the novel. Which March boy do you think is more of a kept man, Simon or Augie? How can you tell? Then, describe Augie's reaction to Simon's relationship with his wealthy wife. What does Augie admire about the relationship? What does he condemn? Explain whether or not you think Augie becomes hypocritical of Simon when he becomes involved with his own wealthy wife. What is the same about these two relationships? What is different? Is there anything unexpected or surprising in this comparison? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,123 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)