|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters does MImi VIllars NOT have a romantic relationship with?
2. Which of the following facts about Charlotte Magnus is NOT true?
3. Which of the following roles is NOT one Augie plays for millionaire tycoon, William Einhorn?
4. Who made love to Momma's maid, leading to her prompt firing?
5. What is the name of Augie's childhood best friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Augie feel about attending school?
2. How does Augie betray William after the stock market crash?
3. What was Georges-Jacques Danton?
4. How is Augie received when he meets the Magnus family for the first time?
5. What other famous disabled persons does Augie contemplate as he is caring for William Einhorn?
6. Why does Augie meet regularly with his caseworker, Lubin?
7. What religion does Augie's family practice?
8. What quarrelsome love triangle does Augie have to sort out, even though he is not involved in it?
9. Where does Augie meet Esther Fenchel, and what is his reaction to her?
10. Why does the Magnus family demand for the breakup of Augie and Lucy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Augie was a teenager, he was given the job of working as a butler for William Einhorn. First, describe William Einhorn and his disabilities. Then, describe the tasks that Augie was expected to complete while working for Einhorn. Did Augie do well or struggle in this position? How can you tell? Finally, describe how the professional relationship between Augie and Einhorn dissolved. How did their professional meltdown affect their personal relationship? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Because of the desperate financial situation Augie finds himself in, he enters a life of crime with fellow thug, Joe Gormon. First, describe Joe Gormon's character. How did he and Augie meet? Why was Augie seduced by Joe's life of crime? Then, choose one major crime Augie committed while working with Gormon. Who was the victim of this crime? What was the short-term payoff for Augie? In your opinion, was the short-term payoff for this crime worth the long-term effects on Augie's life? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Both Augie and Simon become romantically involved with wealthy families at various times in their lives. Describe the ideal of a "kept man" as described in the novel. Which March boy do you think is more of a kept man, Simon or Augie? How can you tell? Then, describe Augie's reaction to Simon's relationship with his wealthy wife. What does Augie admire about the relationship? What does he condemn? Explain whether or not you think Augie becomes hypocritical of Simon when he becomes involved with his own wealthy wife. What is the same about these two relationships? What is different? Is there anything unexpected or surprising in this comparison? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)