|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Augie perform in school in comparison to his brother Simon?
2. Which of the following adjectives best describes Grandma?
3. What room of the Owens' house does Augie live in with Kayo and Mimi?
4. Who sold Augie's family home without telling him?
5. Where is Augie's father at the opening of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Augie meet regularly with his caseworker, Lubin?
2. Who was King Croesus?
3. Why does Simon sell his family house without telling anyone?
4. Who is "Grandma"?
5. Where does Augie meet Esther Fenchel, and what is his reaction to her?
6. Why does the Magnus family demand for the breakup of Augie and Lucy?
7. What job does Augie help Dingbat with which involves travel to Michigan?
8. How does Augie feel about attending school?
9. What lecture does William give to Augie after the break in at his pool hall?
10. How does William accommodate his wife's decorating whims in their living room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Because of the desperate financial situation Augie finds himself in, he enters a life of crime with fellow thug, Joe Gormon. First, describe Joe Gormon's character. How did he and Augie meet? Why was Augie seduced by Joe's life of crime? Then, choose one major crime Augie committed while working with Gormon. Who was the victim of this crime? What was the short-term payoff for Augie? In your opinion, was the short-term payoff for this crime worth the long-term effects on Augie's life? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout his life, Augie considered Jimmy to be one of his best friends. First, describe the relationship between Jimmy and Augie when they were both young boys. Why do you think these two boys bonded so quickly? What type of trouble did the pair get into together? What punishments did each of the boys' receive? Then, describe how Jimmy came back into Augie's life when they were adults. How did Jimmy save Augie from a potentially sticky criminal situation? How did Augie pay Jimmy back for his friendship? How do you think Augie and Jimmy embody the ideal of "best friends forever"? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
After years of living as a bachelor, Augie finally settles down and marries Stella, the woman he met in Mexico. First, describe how Augie and Stella found each other years after they first met in Mexico. Then, describe the reaction from Augie's family and friends when they heard that Augie would soon be getting married. Were they supportive of his decision? Why or why not? Finally, explain weather or not marriage to Stella was what Augie had hoped for when settling down. Is he satisfied in his marriage? How can you tell? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)