Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following references is NOT made by Augie in the opening section of the novel?
2. In what year did the stock market crash?
3. How does Grandma feel about Augie working for William Einhorn?
4. How does WIlliam's wife feel about his frequent trips to the whorehouse?
5. Where was the Rosetta Stone discovered in the 18th Century?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lessons does Augie learn from the rich lawyer, Harold Mintouchian?
2. What quarrelsome love triangle does Augie have to sort out, even though he is not involved in it?
3. Who is William Einhorn?
4. Who is Talavera?
5. How does William feel about Augie's relationship with Mimi Villars?
6. How does William react when the stock market crashes in 1929?
7. How has Georgie's life changed in the time that Augie was living in Mexico City?
8. What job does Augie almost take working for Leon Trotsky?
9. What work does Augie do for the eccentric millionaire, Robey?
10. What lecture does William give to Augie after the break in at his pool hall?
Essay Topic 1
Grandma was a powerful force in the lives of the young March boys. First, describe Grandma's character and explain the way she related to the March family. Then, describe the level of power Grandma had over the March family and the decisions they made. Was Grandma generally a positive or negative influence in the March family lives. Finally, choose one major decision Grandma made for the March family and describe how she was given that power. What was the effect of Grandma's decision on the March family? Did she make a good or bad decision for the family? How can you tell? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Because of the desperate financial situation Augie finds himself in, he enters a life of crime with fellow thug, Joe Gormon. First, describe Joe Gormon's character. How did he and Augie meet? Why was Augie seduced by Joe's life of crime? Then, choose one major crime Augie committed while working with Gormon. Who was the victim of this crime? What was the short-term payoff for Augie? In your opinion, was the short-term payoff for this crime worth the long-term effects on Augie's life? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the situation in which Mimi Villa got pregnant. Why did she decide to terminate her pregnancy? Then, describe the process Mimi had to go through to end her pregnancy. Was the procedure safe? Why or why not? Finally, compare the reaction from the women in Mimi's life to her abortion with the reaction from the men. What sociological statement do you think Bellows is making about abortion through these interactions? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)