Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following references is NOT made by Augie in the opening section of the novel?
2. In what year did the stock market crash?
3. How does Grandma feel about Augie working for William Einhorn?
4. How does WIlliam's wife feel about his frequent trips to the whorehouse?
5. Where was the Rosetta Stone discovered in the 18th Century?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lessons does Augie learn from the rich lawyer, Harold Mintouchian?
2. What quarrelsome love triangle does Augie have to sort out, even though he is not involved in it?
3. Who is William Einhorn?
4. Who is Talavera?
5. How does William feel about Augie's relationship with Mimi Villars?
6. How does William react when the stock market crashes in 1929?
7. How has Georgie's life changed in the time that Augie was living in Mexico City?
8. What job does Augie almost take working for Leon Trotsky?
9. What work does Augie do for the eccentric millionaire, Robey?
10. What lecture does William give to Augie after the break in at his pool hall?
Essay Topic 1
While Augie is aboard the MacManus working for the Merchant Marines, he is one of two men who manage to live through the ship's sinking. Describe the way that Augie managed to save his life when all the other soldiers went down with the ship. Then, describe the way that Augie paid homage to the lives of the sailors lost at sea. To whom did he tell the sailor's stories? Finally, describe how Augie finally made it back to land after drifting in the water for days. What was Augie's emotional reaction to his homecoming? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Augie March started his life with a rough family upbringing. First, describe the dynamic of Augie's family when he was born. What family life was he born into? Then, describe how Augie overcame his rough upbringing. What was expected of Augie's future when he was a boy? How did Augie overcome what was predicted or expected of him to create his own future? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Augie's relationship with Mimi Villa is one that stays with him for the majority of his adult life. First, describe Mimi Villa. Where did she and Augie meet? Then, describe the incident that you believe led to the deep bond that formed between these two teenagers. How did they act as friends for each other in a way no one else would have been capable of? Then, describe the reaction from Augie's family and friends to his platonic relationship with Mimi. What troubles did he get into having such a close female friend? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)