|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the florist where Augie gets a job working for gangsters?
2. Which of the following roles is NOT one Augie plays for millionaire tycoon, William Einhorn?
3. Which of the following characters believes that "everyone sees to it his fate is shared"?
4. How does Grandma feel about Augie working for William Einhorn?
5. Which of the following characters aligns himself with communism after the stock market crash?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was King Croesus?
2. Why is Thea planning to move to Mexico?
3. Why do Augie and William visit a whore house together?
4. What makes Augie squeamish about training Caligula?
5. How does Augie react when he is reunited with Stella, the model?
6. How does William react when the stock market crashes in 1929?
7. What does Augie write in the letters he sends to Stella from aboard the MacManus?
8. What work does Augie do for the eccentric millionaire, Robey?
9. What lessons does Augie learn from the rich lawyer, Harold Mintouchian?
10. How does Augie betray William after the stock market crash?
Essay Topic 1
Education is something that was extremely important to the March family and to Grandma. First, describe why Grandma was set in ensuring that the March boys receive proper education. How did she go about ensuring that her boys became educated citizens? Then, compare Simon's performance in school with Augie's performance in school. Why does Augie struggle in school? How does Augie's lack of education affect his future? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
After Simon marries Charlotte, he has excess money to throw around. First, describe the way that Simon uses his money to manipulate his mother's life. Then, compare this to the way Simon uses his money to manipulate Georgie's life. Whose needs does Simon put first with his money, his family's needs or his own? How can you tell? Finally, describe the decline of Simon's marriage to Charlotte. How do Simon's spending habits affect his relationship with his wife? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
While Augie is aboard the MacManus working for the Merchant Marines, he is one of two men who manage to live through the ship's sinking. Describe the way that Augie managed to save his life when all the other soldiers went down with the ship. Then, describe the way that Augie paid homage to the lives of the sailors lost at sea. To whom did he tell the sailor's stories? Finally, describe how Augie finally made it back to land after drifting in the water for days. What was Augie's emotional reaction to his homecoming? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 2,765 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)