|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Jefferson return to France in Chapter 4 and begin writing to Adams again?
2. Which of the following was not included in Jefferson's description in the Introduction?
3. When did Adams think material improvements were changing people?
4. Which of the following was the result of the Dutch loan secured by Adams?
5. Why was Portugal open to American overtures?
Short Essay Questions
1. How and why did Adams leave his position as diplomat in London?
2. How did Abigail resume her correspondence with Jefferson?
3. How did the correspondence of 1804 stop?
4. How did Adams and Jefferson approach political topics in their renewed correspondence?
5. What difference of opinion did Adams and Jefferson have about Thomas Paine's Rights of Man?
6. Which of Jefferson's actions upset the Adamses, in Chapter 8?
7. Why did Jefferson write to Adams after the election?
8. How did Adams respond to a meeting with the ambassador of Tripoli, in Chapter 4?
9. What interests did Adams and Jefferson have in the later years of their correspondence?
10. What was Adams' opinion of Jefferson's presidency?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the interference of Britain with the interference of the Barbary pirates in the trade of the United States with other countries.
Essay Topic 2
As diplomats, Adams and Jefferson tried to negotiate an association with Britain and France, with much different results.
1) Describe the intent of the negotiations with Britain and France.
2) Explain the reasons why Britain and France had a different view of their negotiations with Adams and Jefferson.
3) Analyze the effect that France and Britain had on the development of trade and commerce in the United States.
Essay Topic 3
Adams' Defense of the Constitutions of the United States countered the criticisms of the revolutionary new government that was being designed for America.
1) Describe the criticism about the American government that prompted Adams to write Defense of the Constitutions of the United States.
2) Explain the source of the criticism and the possible reasons for it.
3) Analyze three main points that Adams made in Defense of the Constitutions of the United States to support the country's foundation.
This section contains 1,619 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)