|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much of a concern was Prussia for Adams and Jefferson between 1785 and 1786?
2. Which other country did Congress authorize a treaty with after the treaty with Prussia?
3. What alarmed Adams and Jefferson about the looting by the Barbary States?
4. Which month was the first letter in Chapter 3 written?
5. Where did Adams observe Jefferson's presidency?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the correspondence of 1804 stop?
2. How did the U.S. lose a strategic link to France in 1787?
3. For which qualities did Adams and Jefferson respect each other?
4. What tested the friendship of Adams and Jefferson in 1813?
5. How did Adams respond to a meeting with the ambassador of Tripoli, in Chapter 4?
6. What was Adams' opinion of Jefferson's presidency?
7. What was Adams doing to gain valuable diplomatic experience from 1776 to 1778, as Jefferson prepared to govern Virginia?
8. What did Adams send to Jefferson to renew their correspondence in 1812?
9. What was the Defense of the Constitutions of the United States?
10. Why were Adams and Jefferson considered to be radical by some people, in Chapter 1?
Essay Topic 1
As diplomats, Adams and Jefferson tried to negotiate an association with Britain and France, with much different results.
1) Describe the intent of the negotiations with Britain and France.
2) Explain the reasons why Britain and France had a different view of their negotiations with Adams and Jefferson.
3) Analyze the effect that France and Britain had on the development of trade and commerce in the United States.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the theme of friendship in The Adams-Jefferson Letters and how the friendship of Adams and Jefferson endured through time, tests, and silence.
Essay Topic 3
Adams' Defense of the Constitutions of the United States countered the criticisms of the revolutionary new government that was being designed for America.
1) Describe the criticism about the American government that prompted Adams to write Defense of the Constitutions of the United States.
2) Explain the source of the criticism and the possible reasons for it.
3) Analyze three main points that Adams made in Defense of the Constitutions of the United States to support the country's foundation.
This section contains 1,609 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)