|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Adams negotiate with the Portuguese?
2. Where did Adams travel as a Diplomat in 1778?
3. When did Richard Henry Lee propose the resolution that Congress should secede from Britain?
4. How much was the Dutch loan that Adams secured?
5. How was Jefferson received in the England court as he tried to secure a commercial treaty?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Adams develop a positive association with the Dutch, in Chapter 2?
2. Where were Adams and Jefferson during the Federal Convention, and what was their opinion of it?
3. Which two options did Adams and Jefferson give to Congress about dealing with the Barbary pirates, in Chapter 4?
4. What was Jefferson's opinion of the Algerian government and why?
5. What was the Defense of the Constitutions of the United States?
6. What was Adams doing to gain valuable diplomatic experience from 1776 to 1778, as Jefferson prepared to govern Virginia?
7. Why did Jefferson stop writing to Abigail, in Chapter 5?
8. How did Adams and Jefferson meet?
9. For which qualities did Adams and Jefferson respect each other?
10. What was the result of Adams' loan negotiations with the Dutch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The writing styles of Adams and Jefferson revealed a lot about both individuals and the times in which they lived.
1) Describe the writing style, handwriting, spellings, grammar, and phrasing in the letters.
2) Explain the advantages and/or disadvantages of the writing style in the 1700s/1800s.
3) Analyze the current writing styles, and the similarities and changes in the English language of now and when Adams and Jefferson corresponded.
Essay Topic 2
The Federalist party and the Republican party had some common goals, but different ideas about how to achieve them.
1) Explain the main positions of the Federalist party, its members, and their view of America.
2) Explain the main positions of the Republican party, its members, and their view of America.
2) Analyze the philosophical differences of Adams and Jefferson and the parties they represented.
Essay Topic 3
Adams' Defense of the Constitutions of the United States countered the criticisms of the revolutionary new government that was being designed for America.
1) Describe the criticism about the American government that prompted Adams to write Defense of the Constitutions of the United States.
2) Explain the source of the criticism and the possible reasons for it.
3) Analyze three main points that Adams made in Defense of the Constitutions of the United States to support the country's foundation.
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)