|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Adams negotiate with the Portuguese?
2. Leading to his support of the Bill of Rights, what was Adams' initial concern during the Federal Convention?
3. How many missions were made to Algiers to deal with the Barbary pirates?
4. Written by Adams, when were the Novanglus letters published anonymously?
5. Which position did Jefferson have when Adams was vice-president?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did whale-oil fishery become an issue again in 1788?
2. Which concerns did Adams and Jefferson have about Independence and liberty at the end of Chapter 1?
3. How did Adams respond to Jefferson's appointment as a diplomat in France?
4. What did Adams caution Jefferson about, at the end of Chapter 3?
5. How was the Constitution written?
6. Why are the Federalists no longer a political party?
7. How and why did Adams leave his position as diplomat in London?
8. Where were Adams and Jefferson during the Federal Convention, and what was their opinion of it?
9. What events led Jefferson to France in 1784?
10. Which criticism of the Constitution did Adams refute, in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Thomas Paine's Rights of Man divided Adams and Jefferson in opinion and political views.
1) Explain Paine's message in Rights of Man and its relevance to that time in history.
2) Describe the events that added to the divide between Adams and Jefferson in their opinions of Rights of Man.
3) Analyze the reasons behind the views of Adams and Jefferson and what they indicated for both of their individual political positions.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the ways that Jefferson became involved with education, the design that he had for public school systems and universities, and the subjects that he and Adams thought should be taught. Also, provide a comparison of their idea of education and the current educational system of the country.
Essay Topic 3
As diplomats, Adams and Jefferson tried to negotiate an association with Britain and France, with much different results.
1) Describe the intent of the negotiations with Britain and France.
2) Explain the reasons why Britain and France had a different view of their negotiations with Adams and Jefferson.
3) Analyze the effect that France and Britain had on the development of trade and commerce in the United States.
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)