|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what country was Adams a diplomat in the 1780s?
2. Which month was the first letter in Chapter 3 written?
3. Which of the following was not included in Jefferson's description in the Introduction?
4. When did Vergennes pass away?
5. When did Jefferson return to the United States?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which difficulties did Adams and Jefferson have in negotiating with Britain, and how did they respond to them?
2. What was the irony of the European position on the Barbary pirates?
3. Why are the Federalists no longer a political party?
4. What role did Abigail Adams have in the letters?
5. What caused Adams and Jefferson to focus on the whale fishery markets, in Chapter 3?
6. What did Adams caution Jefferson about, at the end of Chapter 3?
7. How were Adams and Jefferson described in the Introduction?
8. What was Adams doing to gain valuable diplomatic experience from 1776 to 1778, as Jefferson prepared to govern Virginia?
9. Which concerns did Adams and Jefferson have about Independence and liberty at the end of Chapter 1?
10. How did the U.S. lose a strategic link to France in 1787?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The writing styles of Adams and Jefferson revealed a lot about both individuals and the times in which they lived.
1) Describe the writing style, handwriting, spellings, grammar, and phrasing in the letters.
2) Explain the advantages and/or disadvantages of the writing style in the 1700s/1800s.
3) Analyze the current writing styles, and the similarities and changes in the English language of now and when Adams and Jefferson corresponded.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the interference of Britain with the interference of the Barbary pirates in the trade of the United States with other countries.
Essay Topic 3
Abigail Adams was a key person in the life of John Adams and his correspondence with Jefferson.
1) Describe three characteristics of Abigail that distinguished her from other women during that time.
2) Explain why Abigail was admired by many of the people living in her time.
3) Analyze Abigail's contributions to the country and Adams' correspondence with Jefferson.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)