|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Adams when he met Jefferson?
2. What group was Adams a member of when he helped in the reconciliation with Great Britain in 1776?
3. How many times did Jefferson mention Cosway in his letters to Abigail Adams?
4. Which of the following was the result of the Dutch loan secured by Adams?
5. Which type of issues did Adams and Jefferson discuss primarily when their correspondence resumed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the U.S. lose a strategic link to France in 1787?
2. What role did Abigail Adams have in the letters?
3. How was the Constitution written?
4. What was Adams' opinion of Jefferson's presidency?
5. Which difficulties did Adams and Jefferson have in negotiating with Britain, and how did they respond to them?
6. Which concerns did Adams and Jefferson have about their diplomatic negotiations, in Chapter 3?
7. How did Adams develop a positive association with the Dutch, in Chapter 2?
8. For which qualities did Adams and Jefferson respect each other?
9. What caused Adams and Jefferson to focus on the whale fishery markets, in Chapter 3?
10. Which two options did Adams and Jefferson give to Congress about dealing with the Barbary pirates, in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The writing styles of Adams and Jefferson revealed a lot about both individuals and the times in which they lived.
1) Describe the writing style, handwriting, spellings, grammar, and phrasing in the letters.
2) Explain the advantages and/or disadvantages of the writing style in the 1700s/1800s.
3) Analyze the current writing styles, and the similarities and changes in the English language of now and when Adams and Jefferson corresponded.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the interference of Britain with the interference of the Barbary pirates in the trade of the United States with other countries.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the ways that Jefferson became involved with education, the design that he had for public school systems and universities, and the subjects that he and Adams thought should be taught. Also, provide a comparison of their idea of education and the current educational system of the country.
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)