|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Portugal open to American overtures?
2. How did Adams consider the U.S. Constitution?
3. What was the name of Jefferson's daughter that was sent to England to study with Abigail?
4. Which position did Jefferson have when Adams was vice-president?
5. What type of a letter did Adams write after meeting with the ambassador of Tripoli, in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which difficulties did Adams and Jefferson have in negotiating with Britain, and how did they respond to them?
2. What was Adams' opinion of Jefferson's presidency?
3. Why are the Federalists no longer a political party?
4. What role did Abigail Adams have in the letters?
5. For which qualities did Adams and Jefferson respect each other?
6. Which two options did Adams and Jefferson give to Congress about dealing with the Barbary pirates, in Chapter 4?
7. Why did Adams move to London and what reaction did he receive from the British?
8. How did whale-oil fishery become an issue again in 1788?
9. Why did Jefferson stop writing to Abigail, in Chapter 5?
10. How were Adams and Jefferson described in the Introduction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the interference of Britain with the interference of the Barbary pirates in the trade of the United States with other countries.
Essay Topic 2
Thomas Paine's Rights of Man divided Adams and Jefferson in opinion and political views.
1) Explain Paine's message in Rights of Man and its relevance to that time in history.
2) Describe the events that added to the divide between Adams and Jefferson in their opinions of Rights of Man.
3) Analyze the reasons behind the views of Adams and Jefferson and what they indicated for both of their individual political positions.
Essay Topic 3
As diplomats, Adams and Jefferson tried to negotiate an association with Britain and France, with much different results.
1) Describe the intent of the negotiations with Britain and France.
2) Explain the reasons why Britain and France had a different view of their negotiations with Adams and Jefferson.
3) Analyze the effect that France and Britain had on the development of trade and commerce in the United States.
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)