Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Jefferson return to France in Chapter 4 and begin writing to Adams again?
2. Which of the following was not included in Jefferson's description in the Introduction?
3. When did Adams think material improvements were changing people?
4. Which of the following was the result of the Dutch loan secured by Adams?
5. Why was Portugal open to American overtures?
Short Essay Questions
1. How and why did Adams leave his position as diplomat in London?
2. How did Abigail resume her correspondence with Jefferson?
3. How did the correspondence of 1804 stop?
4. How did Adams and Jefferson approach political topics in their renewed correspondence?
5. What difference of opinion did Adams and Jefferson have about Thomas Paine's Rights of Man?
6. Which of Jefferson's actions upset the Adamses, in Chapter 8?
7. Why did Jefferson write to Adams after the election?
8. How did Adams respond to a meeting with the ambassador of Tripoli, in Chapter 4?
9. What interests did Adams and Jefferson have in the later years of their correspondence?
10. What was Adams' opinion of Jefferson's presidency?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the ways that Jefferson became involved with education, the design that he had for public school systems and universities, and the subjects that he and Adams thought should be taught. Also, provide a comparison of their idea of education and the current educational system of the country.
Essay Topic 2
As the United States was Declaring Independence, it was an exciting time for the country and its people.
1) Describe three characteristics of the late 1700s that you think helped the country's foundation and why.
2) Explain the major differences in the country between the 1700s and the 1800s based on the information in the letters.
3) Analyze how the country has changed since the times of Adams and Jefferson, for the better or worse, and the reasons why.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the extent of the diplomatic experiences of Adams and Jefferson, including the effect the experiences had on their future political views and positions.
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)