|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Jefferson a governor?
2. How long were Adams and Jefferson apart before they met on August 7th of 1784?
3. Which of the following was not included in Jefferson's description in the Introduction?
4. Where did Adams negotiate with the Portuguese?
5. When was Adams released from his position as diplomat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the Federalists no longer a political party?
2. Where were Adams and Jefferson during the Federal Convention, and what was their opinion of it?
3. What was Adams doing to gain valuable diplomatic experience from 1776 to 1778, as Jefferson prepared to govern Virginia?
4. What was the irony of the European position on the Barbary pirates?
5. What caused Adams and Jefferson to focus on the whale fishery markets, in Chapter 3?
6. What events led Jefferson to France in 1784?
7. How did Adams and Jefferson meet?
8. Which party did Jefferson belong to and what did it stand for?
9. Which two options did Adams and Jefferson give to Congress about dealing with the Barbary pirates, in Chapter 4?
10. How did whale-oil fishery become an issue again in 1788?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the theme of friendship in The Adams-Jefferson Letters and how the friendship of Adams and Jefferson endured through time, tests, and silence.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conflict in the correspondence between Adams and Jefferson, including an analysis of their actions before and after the election, and how the letters were used to display their disagreements.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the extent of the diplomatic experiences of Adams and Jefferson, including the effect the experiences had on their future political views and positions.
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)