|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Adams released from his position as diplomat?
2. When did Adams and Jefferson work well together at the Continental Congress?
3. Where did Adams observe Jefferson's presidency?
4. How old was Adams when he met Jefferson?
5. Written by Adams, when were the Novanglus letters published anonymously?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who won the elections where Adams and Jefferson faced each other, and what did Adams do after hearing the results of the second election, in Chapter 7?
2. Which of Jefferson's actions upset the Adamses, in Chapter 8?
3. What events led Jefferson to France in 1784?
4. What did Adams and Jefferson think about the century's impact on human nature?
5. What was the irony of the European position on the Barbary pirates?
6. Why are the Federalists no longer a political party?
7. Why did Abigail write to Jefferson in 1804?
8. How was the Constitution written?
9. According to Jefferson's letters in Chapter 8, what caused him to be angry at Adams?
10. How did Jefferson respond to Adams' analysis of aristocracy, in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The impact of The Adams-Jefferson Letters proved to be a valuable part of American history.
1) Describe the concepts and principles that Adams and Jefferson fought for in their lives.
2) Explain the reasons why Adams and Jefferson were aware of the importance of their correspondence and continued to write later in their lives.
3) Analyze the major things people can learn about the past, present, and future of America from The Adams-Jefferson Letters.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the ways that Jefferson became involved with education, the design that he had for public school systems and universities, and the subjects that he and Adams thought should be taught. Also, provide a comparison of their idea of education and the current educational system of the country.
Essay Topic 3
The whale fishery market was an area that Adams and Jefferson focused on during their diplomacy.
1) Describe the whale-fishery markets before, during, and after the Revolution.
2) Explain why the whale-fishery market and its products were important to Adams and Jefferson.
3) Analyze the approach that Adams and Jefferson used in dealing with the whale-fishery market and how trade was restored.
This section contains 1,601 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)