|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What impressed Adams about Jefferson?
2. What year was it when Jefferson attempted to renew his correspondence with Abigail?
3. What did the British do while Jefferson was trying to secure the commercial treaty, in Chapter 4?
4. When did the correspondence between Adams and Jefferson resume?
5. How many times did Jefferson mention Cosway in his letters to Abigail Adams?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the Federalists no longer a political party?
2. Which concerns did Adams and Jefferson have about Independence and liberty at the end of Chapter 1?
3. What did Adams caution Jefferson about, at the end of Chapter 3?
4. How did Adams respond to Jefferson's appointment as a diplomat in France?
5. How was Abigail described in the Introduction?
6. How did Adams develop a positive association with the Dutch, in Chapter 2?
7. How did Adams respond to a meeting with the ambassador of Tripoli, in Chapter 4?
8. Why did Jefferson stop writing to Abigail, in Chapter 5?
9. Why were Adams and Jefferson considered to be radical by some people, in Chapter 1?
10. How did the U.S. lose a strategic link to France in 1787?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the perceived "radical" element in the views of Adams and Jefferson, the source of the label, their opinions of moderates of the time, and the reasons supporting their views. Also, provide an analysis of how the meaning of the term "radical" has been applied to other people or issues in the country.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast an Introduction in non-fictional literature and fictional literature, using the Introduction in The Adams-Jefferson Letters as a reference.
Essay Topic 3
The whale fishery market was an area that Adams and Jefferson focused on during their diplomacy.
1) Describe the whale-fishery markets before, during, and after the Revolution.
2) Explain why the whale-fishery market and its products were important to Adams and Jefferson.
3) Analyze the approach that Adams and Jefferson used in dealing with the whale-fishery market and how trade was restored.
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)