|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were Adams and Jefferson effectively matched in mental power and training?
2. What happened to the interest payments on the debt that America had acquired during the war to France?
3. Written by Adams, when were the Novanglus letters published anonymously?
4. What group was Adams a member of when he helped in the reconciliation with Great Britain in 1776?
5. Why did the Europeans ironically permit the Barbary piracy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What events led Jefferson to France in 1784?
2. What was Adams' opinion of Jefferson's presidency?
3. What was the result of Adams' loan negotiations with the Dutch?
4. Which criticism of the Constitution did Adams refute, in Chapter 5?
5. How did whale-oil fishery become an issue again in 1788?
6. What did Adams caution Jefferson about, at the end of Chapter 3?
7. How were Adams and Jefferson described in the Introduction?
8. How did Adams respond to a meeting with the ambassador of Tripoli, in Chapter 4?
9. What was the Defense of the Constitutions of the United States?
10. Which party did Jefferson belong to and what did it stand for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the historical significance of The Adams-Jefferson Letters, including an explanation of the importance of the country's foundation, and the value of the direct words of the founders.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conflict in the correspondence between Adams and Jefferson, including an analysis of their actions before and after the election, and how the letters were used to display their disagreements.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the interference of Britain with the interference of the Barbary pirates in the trade of the United States with other countries.
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)