|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Adams move to London?
2. Where did Adams go to help secure formal recognition of American independence?
3. Where was the Constitutional Convention of 1787 held?
4. Which day was it when both Adams and Jefferson passed away?
5. How did Adams respond to Jefferson's suggestion to Congress about solving the situation with the Barbary pirates?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did whale-oil fishery become an issue again in 1788?
2. What was Adams' opinion of Jefferson's presidency?
3. What was the irony of the European position on the Barbary pirates?
4. What caused Adams and Jefferson to focus on the whale fishery markets, in Chapter 3?
5. How was Abigail described in the Introduction?
6. What was Jefferson's opinion of the Algerian government and why?
7. Which difficulties did Adams and Jefferson have in negotiating with Britain, and how did they respond to them?
8. What was the Defense of the Constitutions of the United States?
9. How did Adams respond to a meeting with the ambassador of Tripoli, in Chapter 4?
10. Why were Adams and Jefferson considered to be radical by some people, in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chronicle the development of the representative style of government, why Adams and Jefferson wanted the American people to understand how it worked, and how their reflection of Independence and American Revolution included the preservation of certain documents that would ensure the continued prosperity of the United States.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the interference of Britain with the interference of the Barbary pirates in the trade of the United States with other countries.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the aspects of aristocracy, why it was considered a threat to freedom, and the outlook of Adams and Jefferson on the ways to limit aristocracy.
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)