|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Adams and Jefferson use to support their positions in the letters?
2. Why was Jefferson's future job suspended in 1783?
3. What did Adams and Jefferson think about Great Britain in Chapter 3?
4. In what country was Adams a diplomat in the 1780s?
5. When did Adams and Jefferson meet to talk about a new loan for the U.S.?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were Adams and Jefferson described in the Introduction?
2. Which concerns did Adams and Jefferson have about Independence and liberty at the end of Chapter 1?
3. How was Abigail described in the Introduction?
4. For which qualities did Adams and Jefferson respect each other?
5. How was the Constitution written?
6. Which two options did Adams and Jefferson give to Congress about dealing with the Barbary pirates, in Chapter 4?
7. Which criticism of the Constitution did Adams refute, in Chapter 5?
8. What role did Abigail Adams have in the letters?
9. Why are the Federalists no longer a political party?
10. Why were Adams and Jefferson considered to be radical by some people, in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Thomas Paine's Rights of Man divided Adams and Jefferson in opinion and political views.
1) Explain Paine's message in Rights of Man and its relevance to that time in history.
2) Describe the events that added to the divide between Adams and Jefferson in their opinions of Rights of Man.
3) Analyze the reasons behind the views of Adams and Jefferson and what they indicated for both of their individual political positions.
Essay Topic 2
The Federalist party and the Republican party had some common goals, but different ideas about how to achieve them.
1) Explain the main positions of the Federalist party, its members, and their view of America.
2) Explain the main positions of the Republican party, its members, and their view of America.
2) Analyze the philosophical differences of Adams and Jefferson and the parties they represented.
Essay Topic 3
As diplomats, Adams and Jefferson tried to negotiate an association with Britain and France, with much different results.
1) Describe the intent of the negotiations with Britain and France.
2) Explain the reasons why Britain and France had a different view of their negotiations with Adams and Jefferson.
3) Analyze the effect that France and Britain had on the development of trade and commerce in the United States.
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)