|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What aspects of history did Adams and Jefferson emphasize in their letters?
(a) The philosophical aspects.
(b) The psychological aspects.
(c) The economical aspects.
(d) The political aspects.
2. When were the public school systems set up in Virginia?
(a) The 1880s.
(b) The 1890s.
(c) The 1860s.
(d) The 1870s.
3. How did Adams and Jefferson think the conditions were in the eighteenth century?
(a) Improved in some ways.
(b) Changed drastically.
(c) Improved for all.
(d) Changed slightly.
4. What assumption was the starting point of Adams' work about political theory?
(a) Laws were not irreversible.
(b) Politicians were self-interested.
(c) Laws were irreversible.
(d) Politicians were not self-interested.
5. What did Adams discover that tested his friendship with Jefferson, after their correspondence had resumed?
(a) Criticisms that Jefferson had made years earlier.
(b) Criticisms that Jefferson had supported years earlier.
(c) Criticisms that Jefferson had made months earlier.
(d) Criticisms that Jefferson had suppoorted months earlier.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which cause did Jefferson focus on later in his life?
2. How many differences were resolved between the Adamses and Jefferson, by the end of Chapter 8?
3. Why were few letters written between Adams and Jefferson early in their association?
4. What caused Adams to be angry with Jefferson before they reconciled?
5. Which month was the last letter in Chapter 10 written?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Adams and Jefferson refer to their illnesses in the 1818 letters?
2. What difference of opinion did Adams and Jefferson have about Thomas Paine's Rights of Man?
3. How did the correspondence of 1804 stop?
4. What tested the friendship of Adams and Jefferson in 1813?
5. How did Adams and Jefferson approach political topics in their renewed correspondence?
6. How did Abigail resume her correspondence with Jefferson?
7. Why was Adams skeptical and concerned about aristocracy, in Chapter 10?
8. Which aspects of the country and its foundation did Adams and Jefferson think it was important for the American people to understand?
9. Which of Jefferson's actions upset the Adamses, in Chapter 8?
10. How did Adams and Jefferson describe the world in their later letters?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)