|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Lysistrata, where is Ismenia from?
2. In Lysistrata, after the women douse the men with water, who enters?
3. In Lysistrata, a sure sign of courage is, according to the Men, what?
4. What does Socrates tell Strepsiades about Pheidippides's progress?
5. In The Clouds, what does the Second Creditor look like?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lysistrata.
2. Outline Wrong's argument in the formal debate.
3. Outline Right's argument in the formal debate.
4. How has The Chorus of The Clouds changed throughout the play?
5. How are the women reacting to the sex strike? What does this say about the women?
6. Describe the oath the four women take in Lysistrata.
7. What does dressing the Magistrate as a woman symbolize?
8. How will The Chorus of The Clouds react if mistreated?
9. How does The Clouds end?
10. What do The Chorus of Old Men's pots symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Talk about the problems involved with the female empowerment in Lysistrata.
Essay Topic 2
The sacrifice of peace to Dionysus was a ritual performed in The Acharnians. though there are several more that occur in the three plays. Pick one other ritual and describe it in detail. Relate it to the sacrifice to Dionysis. How is it similar? Different? What makes it a ritual?
Essay Topic 3
Several characters in Aristophanes's lexicon let their self-interest get in the way of everyday life. Name three characters that do this, not all from the same play, and discuss how they are alike and different.
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)