|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dikaiopolis take as tax from the Thebian?
2. In Part 2 of The Acharnians, who is the Chorus composed of?
3. Who or what are the Chorus of Acharnians looking for when they make their first appearance?
4. How many samples of peace does Dikaioplois have to choose from?
5. How does Dikaiopolis overpower Nicarchus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe in detail what has caused Strepsiades to accumulate so much debt.
2. Describe the entourage that enters with the Thebian, Dikaiopolis' second customer.
3. What does the Chorus of Acharnians look like?
4. Describe Dikaiopolis in the beginning of The Acharnians.
5. Describe the outfit Dikaiopolis assembles for his defense.
6. How do the visiting Ambassadors appear to Dikaiopolis?
7. What kind of teacher is Socrates in The Clouds?
8. What kind of student is Strepsiades?
9. Present the argument that finally wins a few drops of peace from Dikaiopolis.
10. What happens to the Chorus of Archanians when Diakaiopolis finishes his defense?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wine is used throughout The Acharnians and Lysistrata as a symbol. Describe what it means and what it symbolizes. How does that symbol develop throughout its use in the plays? What does using wine mean for the festival of plays in Athens?
Essay Topic 2
Aristophanes, as well as many other playwrights, has included historical figures in his work. As we know, Euripidies was an actual tragic playwright, and he is a character in the play. However, Cleon is another example of a real historical figure, though he is never represented onstage. Do you think fictional works affect how historical figures are presented, and if so, does it have a positive or negative effect on the person? Compare and contrast how you see Euripidies's, Cleon's, and Socrates's personalities today, and give evidence to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
These three plays speak to a broad spectrum of culture, life, ritual, and relationships in Ancient Greece. Pick three concepts that still exist today, and relate them to present time. Use materials from the book and trace how your three concepts have traveled through time and how they exist now. Some ideas include education, politics, and religion.
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)