|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the champion of Pitcher Day win?
2. Who comes in after Dikaiopolis finishes his defense?
3. How does Dikaiopolis help Dercetes?
4. At the end of The Acharnians, The Chorus of Acharnians decides to follow who offstage, thereby symbolically giving support to which way of life?
5. According to Dikaiopolis, who or what started the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Dikaiopolis refuses business only to one slave. Why is that?
2. What is the Chorus of Acharnians's attitude toward Dikaiopolis and Lamachus at the end of the play?
3. Describe in detail what has caused Strepsiades to accumulate so much debt.
4. How do the visiting Ambassadors appear to Dikaiopolis?
5. How does Dikaiopolis react when Dercetes asks him to share some of the peace?
6. What can the Thebian use the Informer for?
7. How does the Chorus of Acharnians feel about Dikaiopolis after the Megaran leaves?
8. Why are the Chorus of Acharnians angry as they make their first appearance in The Acharnians?
9. Describe "The Great King's Eye."
10. What kind of teacher is Socrates in The Clouds?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the world Aristophanes weaves for us in The Acharnians, politics and satire are so wrapped up in each other they are almost impossible to separate. Why do these two concepts go so well together? What makes this work, and if you separated them, what would happen to the play? What about how politics are practiced in Lysistrata?
Essay Topic 2
Several characters in Aristophanes's lexicon let their self-interest get in the way of everyday life. Name three characters that do this, not all from the same play, and discuss how they are alike and different.
Essay Topic 3
Outline the current state of affairs or status quo in The Acharnians or Lysistrata. Include three major areas of topic, such as politics, religion, or trade.
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)