|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Dikaiopolis, who or what started the war?
2. Who is the first person to drink a whole pitcher on Pitcher Day?
3. When Strepsiades arrives at the school with Pheidippides, what does Strepsiades do?
4. What does Dikaiopolis forget before returning to his trial?
5. Does Dikaiopolis sell to the slave?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Megarans. How are they depicted?
2. What kind of student is Strepsiades?
3. The Leader of The Chorus of The Clouds directly addresses the audience just after Strepsiades enters The Thinkery. Summarize their direct appeal.
4. What does the Chorus of Acharnians look like?
5. Describe in detail what has caused Strepsiades to accumulate so much debt.
6. Why is Strepsiades so fretful he can't even sleep in the beginning of The Clouds?
7. Dikaiopolis refuses business only to one slave. Why is that?
8. What is Diakaiopolis's argument to the Chorus of Acharnians in his defense?
9. What do all the bugs in The Thinkery suggest?
10. Present the argument that finally wins a few drops of peace from Dikaiopolis.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several other symbols, other than wine, are used in the three plays by Aristophanes. Pick three to describe and compare.
Essay Topic 2
Wine is used throughout The Acharnians and Lysistrata as a symbol. Describe what it means and what it symbolizes. How does that symbol develop throughout its use in the plays? What does using wine mean for the festival of plays in Athens?
Essay Topic 3
Outline the current state of affairs or status quo in The Acharnians or Lysistrata. Include three major areas of topic, such as politics, religion, or trade.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)