|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Third Messenger announces what?
2. This isn't the first time Dikaiopolis got in trouble with the government. What was his past offense?
3. How much longer after the second ambassador does the assembly stay open?
4. How much does the first Ambassador make in a day?
5. Why doesn't the Chorus want War at his parties?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can the Thebian use the Informer for?
2. What kind of teacher is Socrates in The Clouds?
3. What does the sacrifice Dikaiopolis makes with the peace look like?
4. What is the Chorus of Acharnians's attitude toward Dikaiopolis and Lamachus at the end of the play?
5. How does the Chorus of Acharnians feel about Dikaiopolis after the Megaran leaves?
6. Describe Dikaiopolis in the beginning of The Acharnians.
7. Describe in detail what has caused Strepsiades to accumulate so much debt.
8. How does Dikaiopolis react when Dercetes asks him to share some of the peace?
9. Describe the Megarans. How are they depicted?
10. What do all the bugs in The Thinkery suggest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
War and peace are topics discussed at length in Aristophanes plays. Discuss how their concepts change in the series of plays and what Aristophanes overall message is to Athens.
Essay Topic 2
Some of the situations and ideas expressed by Aristophanes throughout his work may come across today as offensive. Keeping in mind the range of things people find comedic today, talk about what those situations were and why they were historically considered fodder for comedy. In short, what did Ancient Greece find funny, and how have we changed?
Essay Topic 3
Talk about the two major kinds of male-to-male relationships that were common in Ancient Greece.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)