Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first person to drink a whole pitcher on Pitcher Day?
2. Who poses as the eunuchs?
3. What does Dikaiopolis do after he makes peace?
4. Who does Strepsiades complain to while he is supposed to be sleeping?
5. What does the Bridegroom's Slave offer Dikaiopolis for just one ladle of peace?
Short Essay Questions
1. The Leader of The Chorus of The Clouds directly addresses the audience just after Strepsiades enters The Thinkery. Summarize their direct appeal.
2. How are the women reacting to the sex strike? What does this say about the women?
3. How does The Clouds end?
4. Who is Lampito? Describe how she is treated by the Athenian women.
5. Describe how Strepsiades finally gets Pheidippides to attend The Thinkery.
6. After his education, what does Pheidippides consider acceptable in regard to his relationships with his parents?
7. Outline Right's argument in the formal debate.
8. Dikaiopolis and Lamachus meet again just after Dikaiopolis shared a few drops of peace with the bride. What is notable about how their situations have changed since the beginning of the play?
9. Now that all the men have gathered, what is their condition before meeting Lysistrata?
10. What is Dikaiopolis'S strategy in choosing the Peace?
Essay Topic 1
Talk about the use of the fourth wall in Aristophanes's work. What is it and why is it important? Give specific examples from the three plays.
Essay Topic 2
Now that we know a frame is a literary and dramatic device used to give the audience a way to look and understand the world of the play, such as Dikaiopolis suggesting in his beginning monologue all of his best memories are from theatre experiences, identify at least three other frames in the plays by Aristophanes. Know that frames can be physical as well as cultural or historical. Compare and contrast the frames used by Aristophanes and how the play would be different without them.
Essay Topic 3
The sacrifice of peace to Dionysus was a ritual performed in The Acharnians. though there are several more that occur in the three plays. Pick one other ritual and describe it in detail. Relate it to the sacrifice to Dionysis. How is it similar? Different? What makes it a ritual?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)