|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Nicarchus denounce the Thebian?
2. When Strepsiades returns home from the school, Strepsiades tells Pheidippdes someone doesn't exist. Who is that?
3. At the end of The Acharnians, The Chorus of Acharnians decides to follow who offstage, thereby symbolically giving support to which way of life?
4. What is Socrates major complaint with Strepsiades when he is finally turned away from the school?
5. How does Dikaiopolis agree to speak his side to the Chorus of Acharnians?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Chorus of Acharnians look like?
2. Describe "The Great King's Eye."
3. What is Diakaiopolis's argument to the Chorus of Acharnians in his defense?
4. What do all the bugs in The Thinkery suggest?
5. In The Acharnians, what do you think the playwright is saying about the way of war and the way of peace as his overall message?
6. What kind of teacher is Socrates in The Clouds?
7. How does Dikaiopolis react when Dercetes asks him to share some of the peace?
8. The Leader of The Chorus of The Clouds directly addresses the audience just after Strepsiades enters The Thinkery. Summarize their direct appeal.
9. What is Dikaiopolis'S strategy in choosing the Peace?
10. What is Pheidippides immediate opinion of Socrates's school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The gods and goddesses are peppered through Aristophanes's work. Collect and describe the gods place in Athenian everyday life. Talk about the relationship between the gods and the people.
Essay Topic 2
How is the majority of conflict resolved in Ancient Greece? In Aristophanes's work, name a conflict, no matter how large or small, in each of the three plays and talk about how it develops and how it is resolved.
Essay Topic 3
Talk about the two major kinds of male-to-male relationships that were common in Ancient Greece.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)