|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Strepsiades ordered to do as he lays in bed?
2. Who does Dikaiopolis enlist to help him before the trial?
3. As Lamachus gets ready for battle, Dikaiopolis does something else. What is it?
4. What is Socrates major complaint with Strepsiades when he is finally turned away from the school?
5. The Third Messenger announces what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of teacher is Socrates in The Clouds?
2. What happens to the Chorus of Archanians when Diakaiopolis finishes his defense?
3. Describe the outfit Dikaiopolis assembles for his defense.
4. Describe the entourage that enters with the Thebian, Dikaiopolis' second customer.
5. In The Acharnians, what do you think the playwright is saying about the way of war and the way of peace as his overall message?
6. Why are the Chorus of Acharnians angry as they make their first appearance in The Acharnians?
7. Describe Dikaiopolis in the beginning of The Acharnians.
8. What does the Chorus of Acharnians look like?
9. How does Dikaiopolis set up his shop?
10. How does the Chorus of Acharnians feel about Dikaiopolis after the Megaran leaves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
War and peace are topics discussed at length in Aristophanes plays. Discuss how their concepts change in the series of plays and what Aristophanes overall message is to Athens.
Essay Topic 2
Talk about the use of the fourth wall in Aristophanes's work. What is it and why is it important? Give specific examples from the three plays.
Essay Topic 3
Several other symbols, other than wine, are used in the three plays by Aristophanes. Pick three to describe and compare.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)