|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Ambassador from Persia bring back to the Assembly?
2. According to Socrates, why does a gnat make a humming noise?
3. Who is chasing Amphitheus?
4. How does Dikaiopolis agree to speak his side to the Chorus of Acharnians?
5. Who or what are the Chorus of Acharnians looking for when they make their first appearance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Chorus of Acharnians's attitude toward Dikaiopolis and Lamachus at the end of the play?
2. Describe the Megarans. How are they depicted?
3. Describe the outfit Dikaiopolis assembles for his defense.
4. Describe the army sent from Thrace brought by Theorus.
5. How does the Chorus of Acharnians feel about Dikaiopolis after the Megaran leaves?
6. Why is Strepsiades so fretful he can't even sleep in the beginning of The Clouds?
7. In The Acharnians, what do you think the playwright is saying about the way of war and the way of peace as his overall message?
8. Describe "The Great King's Eye."
9. How does Dikaiopolis set up his shop?
10. How do the visiting Ambassadors appear to Dikaiopolis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters of Dikaiopolis and Lamachus foil each other in The Acharnians. Pick two other characters that strongly contrast with each other. Describe them separately, and then talk about what makes them similar and different.
Essay Topic 2
The gods and goddesses are peppered through Aristophanes's work. Collect and describe the gods place in Athenian everyday life. Talk about the relationship between the gods and the people.
Essay Topic 3
Talk about the two major kinds of male-to-male relationships that were common in Ancient Greece.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)