|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens after Dikaiopolis finishes his defense?
(a) The Chorus of Acharnians splits in half.
(b) He sneaks off the block.
(c) He runs for the coals.
(d) The Chorus of Acharnians pick up their stones.
2. How does Dikaiopolis make peace?
(a) He gives his life in service to the Spartians.
(b) He pours some wine on the ground.
(c) He signs several treaties.
(d) He sends his son as an ambassador.
3. In Part 3 of The Acharnians, an informer denounces the Megarian girls as what?
(a) Girls, not pigs.
4. In the beginning of The Acharnians, who arrives late to the assembly and speaks to the crowd first?
(d) The Ambassador.
5. Why does Pheidippides agree to go to learn rhetoric?
(a) He is bored.
(b) He wants to help Strepsiades.
(c) He is half-asleep.
(d) He secretly loves philosophy.
6. Dikaiopolis tells his daughter to have what kind of look on her face when she is carrying the basket?
7. When Strepsiades arrives at the school with Pheidippides, what does Strepsiades do?
(a) Since Pheidippides goes, Strepsiades goes also.
(b) Since Pheidippides doesn't go, Strepsiades does.
(c) Since Pheidippides goes, Strepsiades goes home.
(d) Since Pheidippides doesn't go, Strepsiades doesn't either.
8. In The Clouds, who is the protagonist's son?
9. How does Socrates appear for the first time in The Clouds?
(a) Airborne, like a god in tradegy.
(b) From the audience, like a level-headed philosopher.
(c) From the trap door, like a sneak.
(d) Stage right, like an actor.
10. As Lamachus gets ready for battle, Dikaiopolis does something else. What is it?
(a) Packs him food to take with him.
(b) Helps him dress.
(c) Readies his horse.
(d) Makes fun of him.
11. What does The Chorus of Acharnians cry when the first pitcher is finished?
(a) Stone the winner.
(b) Hail to the champion.
(c) Hurry all you others.
(d) Fear strike the last to finish.
12. According to the Chorus of Acharnians, who can cure all strife?
(b) The Graces.
(d) Young Eros.
13. How many samples of peace does Dikaioplois have to choose from?
14. How does Dikaiopolis agree to speak his side to the Chorus of Acharnians?
(a) On a catapult, ready to launch.
(b) In a headlock.
(c) With his head over a block.
15. At the end of The Acharnians, The Chorus of Acharnians decides to follow who offstage, thereby symbolically giving support to which way of life?
(b) Nobody, they go their own way.
(d) The Third Messanger.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Chorus of The Clouds assures Strepsiades that although his studies may be bizarre, he will come into good fortune. After that, they take a break to make an interjection glorifying a particular playwright. Who do they praise and defend?
2. What does Dikaiopolis forget before returning to his trial?
3. When the Chorus of Acharnians finds Dikaiopolis, what do they want to do to him?
4. What is Strepsiades ordered to do as he lays in bed?
5. Who carries Nicharchus as the Thebian entourage leaves?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)