|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of The Acharnians, The Chorus of Acharnians decides to follow who offstage, thereby symbolically giving support to which way of life?
(a) The Third Messanger.
(b) Nobody, they go their own way.
2. Where does the council invite the Great King's Eye to dinner?
(a) The Temple of Athena.
(c) The City Mansion.
(d) The Thinkery.
3. According to Dikaiopolis, who or what started the war?
(a) A few drunk Athenian men kidnapped a woman.
(b) A difference in religion with the Megarians.
(c) The Spartians cutting down Athenian vines.
(d) Pericles sent out thunder and lightning.
4. When Strepsiades and Pheidippides arrive at the school for the first time together, who answers the door?
(b) The Chorus of the Clouds.
(d) The Student.
5. Who carries Nicharchus as the Thebian entourage leaves?
(b) The slaves.
(c) The Leader.
6. The Chorus of The Clouds assures Strepsiades that although his studies may be bizarre, he will come into good fortune. After that, they take a break to make an interjection glorifying a particular playwright. Who do they praise and defend?
7. How does Dikaiopolis like the first peace?
(a) He likes it, but tries another.
(b) He loves it.
(c) He tastes it, but doesn't like it.
(d) He doesn't even try it.
8. Socrates and Strepsiades brainstorm ways that Strepsiades can what?
(a) Sleep in a bed full of bugs.
(b) Make interest back.
(c) Trick his son into learning rhetoric.
(d) Avoid paying interest.
9. What happens after Dikaiopolis finishes his defense?
(a) The Chorus of Acharnians pick up their stones.
(b) He sneaks off the block.
(c) The Chorus of Acharnians splits in half.
(d) He runs for the coals.
10. How does Dikaiopolis overpower Nicarchus?
(a) He beats Nicharus with one of his straps.
(b) He pokes Nicharus' eyes.
(c) He trips Nicharus.
(d) He slaps Nicharus.
11. When the Chorus of Acharnians finds Dikaiopolis, what do they want to do to him?
(a) Watch the sacrifice.
(b) Offer a sacrifice.
(c) Stone him.
(d) Burn him at the stake.
12. According to Socrates, why does a gnat make a humming noise?
(a) Wind goes straight through its intestinal passage. It's a gnat fart.
(b) That's just the sound it makes.
(c) It's a mating call.
(d) The speed of its wings produce a sound.
13. How does The Chorus of Acharnians feel about Dikaiopolis after all of his trading?
(a) The Chorus of Acharnians are angry with Dikaiopolis.
(b) The Chorus of Acharnians praises Dikaiopolis.
(c) The Chorus of Acharnians are indifferent to Dikaiopolis.
(d) The Chorus of Acharnians don't say how they feel.
14. The Acharnians opens with a soliloquy by which character?
(b) The Crier.
(d) The Acharnians.
15. Why doesn't the Chorus want War at his parties?
(a) He eats all the food.
(b) He gets drunk and passes out.
(c) He offends the guests.
(d) He gets drunk and violent.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dikaiopolis enlist to help him before the trial?
2. How does Dikaiopolis designate the free trade area?
3. What is the least effective way Strepsiades comes up with evading his debt and the reason Socrates gives up?
4. Who can Socrates just not teach in The Clouds?
5. What is wrong with Strepsiades's bed when he tries to go to sleep?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)