|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the white girl that Gordy describes disappearing in Mexico last summer in Chapter 16: "Rowdy Gives Me Advice About Love"?
2. When Junior sends Rowdy a picture of his smiling face, what does Rowdy respond with a picture of in Chapter 18: "Don't Trust Your Computer"?
3. How many games did Wellpinit win after their loss to Reardan?
4. What does Gordy say happens to weird people, from primitive cultures to today, in Chapter 18: "Don't Trust Your Computer"?
5. When does Junior's father disappear to get drunk during the holidays in Chapter 21: "And a Partridge in a Pear Tree"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Rowdy and Junior do together in the end of Chapter 30: "Talking About Turtles"?
2. How does Gordy respond when Junior asks for advice about love in Chapter 16: "Rowdy Gives Me Advice About Love"?
3. How does Junior describe the contradictions of his identity in Chapter 17: "Dance, Dance, Dance"?
4. What causes the students to stand up and walk out of Junior's class in Chapter 24: "Valentine Heart"?
5. How would you describe Junior's outlook for the future in Chapter 29: "Remembering"?
6. What story does Arnold Spirit, Sr. tell his son in encouraging him to try out for the basketball team in Chapter 20: "Reindeer Games"?
7. How would you describe Junior's circumstances during Christmas in Chapter 21: "And a Partridge in a Pear Tree"?
8. How does Junior analyze the exchange that he and Rowdy have shared in Chapter 26: "Rowdy and I Have a Serious Discussion about Basketball"?
9. Why has the billionaire named Ted come to Grandmother Spirit's wake in Chapter 23: "Wake"?
10. How are the deaths of Eugene and Bobby described in Chapter 24: "Valentine Heart"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Grandmother Spirit in the novel. What is Junior’s relationship like with his grandmother? How is Grandmother Spirit viewed by the other members of the community? What can you tell about Junior’s grandmother based on the advice that she gives him in Chapter 9?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the narrative style of The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. Is the narrative related from a first, second, or third-person perspective? Is the story told in the present or past tense? How do each of these choices by an author influence the outcome of the book? How would this story differ if it were related from a different type of narrator?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes of the Flathead Reservation, the history of the Flathead Indian tribes, and the setting of Montana where Mary has moved after marrying. How does Mary describe her new home? What does Mary think of the Indians of Montana? How is this setting different than her home?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)