|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Junior go dressed as at school in Chapter 11: "Halloween"?
2. Who answers the door when Junior goes to Rowdy's house in Chapter 14: "Thanksgiving"?
3. How much money does Junior's father give him on Halloween night in Chapter 11: "Halloween"?
4. What does Junior's father do when Junior's dog becomes seriously ill in Chapter 2: "Why Chicken Means So Much to Me"?
5. What does Mr. P tell Junior he has to do in order to find happiness and hope in Chapter 5: "Hope Against Hope"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What exchange takes place between Junior and Rowdy in Chapter 14: "Thanksgiving"? How does Junior feel about this encounter?
2. How does Junior justify Rowdy's reaction to his announcement in Chapter 7: "Rowdy Sings the Blues"?
3. What do Junior's parents initially think when he tells them of his plans in Chapter 6: "Go Means Go"?
4. How do Junior's parents respond to Junior's decision about school in Chapter 6: "Go Means Go"? What warning do they impart on him?
5. How does the reservation where Mary has moved to differ from the one where she and Junior grew up?
6. How does Junior describe the character of Dawn in Chapter 10: "Tears of a Clown"?
7. How are Junior and Penelope dressed for Halloween in Chapter 11: "Halloween"?
8. How does Junior describe his feelings about his sister's marriage in Chapter 12: "Slouching Toward Thanksgiving"?
9. How does Rowdy respond to Junior's confession about Dawn in Chapter 10: "Tears of a Clown"?
10. How does Junior describe his feelings about "community" in the beginning of Chapter 12: "Slouching Toward Thanksgiving"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Mary Spirit in the novel. How much older is Mary than Junior? How has Junior described Mary’s behavior after high school in the beginning of the novel? What do you think is indicated by Mary’s behavior? What does Mary symbolize to Junior in the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Penelope’s dream of being an architect in the novel. Why does Penelope say she wants to study architecture? What is Penelope’s overall objective in doing so? How does Junior relate to this dream of Penelope’s?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of hope in the novel. What does “hope” mean to Junior? What does it mean to his family members and to the other inhabitants of the Reservation? What does hope mean to you? How is this theme developed in the course of the story?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)