|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Junior says in Chapter 4: "Because Geometry Is Not a Country Somewhere Near France," that "if God hadn't wanted us to masturbate, then God wouldn't have given us" what?
2. What does Mary say she did yesterday for the first time in her email to Junior in Chapter 13: "My Sister Sends Me an E-mail"?
3. What does Mr. P say Mary dreamed of being when she was in school in Chapter 5: "Hope Against Hope"?
4. What is Junior's grandmother's reply when he asks her "What does it mean?" regarding the boy at school who did not punch him back in Chapter 9: "Grandmother Gives Me Some Advice"?
5. What is the name of the school secretary that greets Junior at Reardan in Chapter 8: "How to Fight Monsters"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the reservation where Mary has moved to differ from the one where she and Junior grew up?
2. How does Arnold Spirit, Sr. handle the situation with Oscar in Chapter 2: "Why Chicken Means So Much to Me"? How does Junior respond to the situation?
3. How does Junior describe his feelings about his sister's marriage in Chapter 12: "Slouching Toward Thanksgiving"?
4. How does Mary describe her circumstances in her email to Junior in Chapter 13: "My Sister Sends Me an E-mail"?
5. How does Junior discover Penelope's eating disorder in Chapter 15: "Hunger Pains"?
6. How do Junior's parents respond to Junior's decision about school in Chapter 6: "Go Means Go"? What warning do they impart on him?
7. How does Junior compare his and Oscar's family' circumstances in Chapter 3: "Revenge Is My Middle Name"?
8. What leads up to Junior throwing the textbook in Chapter 4: "Because Geometry Is Not a Country Somewhere Near France"?
9. How does Junior describe the character of Dawn in Chapter 10: "Tears of a Clown"?
10. Who leads the violent conflict in Chapter 3: "Revenge Is My Middle Name"? What is the biggest concern about the conflict?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of creative expression in The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. How does Junior express himself creatively? What creative expression relates to Junior’s parents and his sister? Do you think that this novel’s illustrations help to convey the theme of creative expression? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Define the genre of Bildungsroman, or coming-of-age story, and discuss how this genre applies to The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. Consider the character of Junior when we first meet him as a reader in Chapter 1. In what ways does Junior “come of age” in the narrative? How is Junior changed at the end of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of hope in the novel. What does “hope” mean to Junior? What does it mean to his family members and to the other inhabitants of the Reservation? What does hope mean to you? How is this theme developed in the course of the story?
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)