|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1999, who imposed economic and travel restrictions on the Taliban?
2. At the age of 23, Bin Laden was which type of fighter?
3. Who invaded Afghanistan in 1979?
4. Bin Laden stated that America can remedy the situation by all of the following ways except:
5. Who was the Taliban's most important and most capable enemy?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 5, we get a background of the "Hamburg Group" as well as four other jihad extremists. Give a brief synopsis of one of the jihad extremists. What education/course of study did the jihad extremists possess?
2. Give three (3) reasons why there needs to be joint action of intelligent agencies.
3. Describe the Minneapolis FBI investigation of Zacarias Moussaoui. Was the FBI able to connect Moussaoui to al-Qaeda?
4. When did the Boston Center air traffic controller realize there was a problem with American Airlines Flight 11?
5. What were the two classifications of the 9/11 hijackers?
6. What three aspects of the anti-terrorist effort were strengthened by January 2000?
7. In the spring of 2001, there was a sudden spike in intelligence indicating a heightened risk of a Muslim terrorist attack against U.S. interest. Give an example of what one report stated.
8. Where was President Bush when the first aircraft crashed on 9/11/2001? Why was President Bush at this location?
9. As the year 2000 approached, what were the U.S. citizens concerned with?
10. How did the State Department plan to end the Afghan Civil War?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has Osama bin Laden taken advantage of using the mass media to communicate his demands to the U.S? In which ways has he used the mass media in the past? Give specific details.
Essay Topic 2
Who is Richard Clarke? Describe his obsession with Osama bin Laden. Was his obsession beneficial and useful to the U.S?
Essay Topic 3
Describe al-Qaeda. What are the objectives of al-Qaeda? Who funds the group? Who leads the group? What are some of al-Qaeda's strengths and weaknesses? How can the U.S. exploit these weaknesses?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)