|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 2000, the U.S. and ________ succeeded in adding an arms embargo against the Taliban.
2. What is "Gestapo"?
3. When was the U.S.S. Cole bombed?
4. In what country did Bin Laden and Zawahiri published a Fatwa in an Arabic newspaper?
5. Who was nicknamed "Blind Sheikh"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the three basic functions of the OEM?
2. Why did an agent at the FBI's Phoenix office sent a memo to FBI headquarters? What did this memo speculate? Did top officials act on this memo?
3. How would creating an office of National Intelligence Director help the FBI?
4. In the spring of 2001, there was a sudden spike in intelligence indicating a heightened risk of a Muslim terrorist attack against U.S. interest. Give an example of what one report stated.
5. What three factors worked against successful communication among FDNY personnel?
6. Where did President Bush address the nation after the 9/11 attacks? What did he tell the world during this address?
7. In early August 1999, the FAA's Civil Aviation Security Intelligence office summarized the Bin Laden hijacking threat. Why did the FAA analysts judge such an operation unlikely?
8. What is the U.S. VISIT?
9. What is the Proliferation Security Initiative? Who announced the PSI?
10. When and why was the Counterterrorist Center established?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a sleeper cell? What are the characteristics of a sleeper cell? Could any of the 9/11 hijackers be classified as a sleeper cell? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Who declares, "This is a new type of war"? What is this statement in reference to? What is the significance of this statement?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Richard Clarke? Describe his obsession with Osama bin Laden. Was his obsession beneficial and useful to the U.S?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)