|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the "Hamburg Group"?
2. The outcome of the November 7, 2000, presidential election was not decided for how many days?
3. In the late __________ NORAD carried out exercises for a scenario in which terrorists would hijack and use commercial airliners as weapons.
4. What does ISID stand for?
5. How was the August 7, 1998, attack on American embassies at Nairobi, Kenya, and Dar es Salaam destroyed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who killed Ahmed Shah Massoud? How did they succeed in killing Massoud?
2. What are the three (3) basic problems the U.S. has had in its relationship with Pakistan?
3. Why did the 9/11 hijackers travel extensively cross-country in the Spring/Summer of 2001?
4. Describe the training most of the hijackers received in Afghanistan. Who oversaw these trainings? What techniques did the hijackers learn?
5. When was the last time the FAA ordered a nation-wide grounding of all aircraft?
6. What happened in 1996 at two different U.S. embassies in Africa?
7. When did the U.S. government become aware of Bin Laden's involvement in financing terrorist attacks against the U.S interests? What did the State Department detect in his financing?
8. Who is considered the mastermind of 9/11/01 and when did he start calling for attacks against America?
9. What were the four (4) kinds of failure exposed by the 9/11 attacks?
10. In the spring of 2001, there was a sudden spike in intelligence indicating a heightened risk of a Muslim terrorist attack against U.S. interest. Give an example of what one report stated.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has Osama bin Laden taken advantage of using the mass media to communicate his demands to the U.S? In which ways has he used the mass media in the past? Give specific details.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the importance of the 9/11 hijackers use of cross-country flights. Where did the hijackers regularly fly to? How were these destinations useful to the terrorist plot they were planning to execute?
Essay Topic 3
How has the internet and the World Wide Web helped terrorists execute terrorist plots? How has the internet helped U.S. agencies keep track of such terrorist plots?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)