|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of KSM's plot to blow up several American airliners over the Pacific ocean?
2. When was President Bush informed of the 9/11 attacks?
3. The CIA's Bin Laden unit knew that attacking Bin Laden's sources of __________ was an important component of the effort against al-Qaeda.
4. What does NEADS stand for?
5. When was the U.S.S. Cole bombed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the standard protocol for a passenger that sets off the metal detectors passing through the screening checkpoints inside the airport prior to 9/11/2001?
2. In Chapter 5, we get a background of the "Hamburg Group" as well as four other jihad extremists. Give a brief synopsis of one of the jihad extremists. What education/course of study did the jihad extremists possess?
3. In early August 1999, the FAA's Civil Aviation Security Intelligence office summarized the Bin Laden hijacking threat. Why did the FAA analysts judge such an operation unlikely?
4. What three aspects of the anti-terrorist effort were strengthened by January 2000?
5. What event gave people inside the WTC the impression that rooftop rescues were part of the WTC evacuation plan?
6. Who is Lieutenant General William Boykin and what did he tell the Commission in regards to why opportunities were missed to kill Bin Laden?
7. Why did the 9/11 hijackers travel extensively cross-country in the Spring/Summer of 2001?
8. What is the TTIC? When was it created, where is it based, who makes up the TTIC, and who do they report to?
9. What three factors worked against successful communication among FDNY personnel?
10. Describe the training most of the hijackers received in Afghanistan. Who oversaw these trainings? What techniques did the hijackers learn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has Osama bin Laden taken advantage of using the mass media to communicate his demands to the U.S? In which ways has he used the mass media in the past? Give specific details.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the statement, "We have planes"? Who said this? How did this statement set the scene of the 9/11 attacks?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Richard Clarke? Describe his obsession with Osama bin Laden. Was his obsession beneficial and useful to the U.S?
This section contains 1,363 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)