|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who offered to attack Bin Laden's Derunta training camp in December 1999?
2. Federal law prohibits the ________ from gathering intelligence on U.S. citizens or other people within the U.S. except as specified by FISA requirements.
3. ________ increasingly became the province of non-sate actors during the 1980s and 1990s?
4. What happened after Somali warlords downed two U.S. Black Hawk helicopters in October 1993?
5. Approximately what fraction of the hijackers set off the metal detectors or otherwise aroused the suspicion of airport security?
Short Essay Questions
1. The Commission's investigation showed that there were two systemic weaknesses that came together in our border system's inability to contribute to an effective defense against the 9/11 attacks. Describe these weaknesses.
2. Describe the training most of the hijackers received in Afghanistan. Who oversaw these trainings? What techniques did the hijackers learn?
3. After the Twin Towers were hit, people inside the Towers began calling 9-1-1. What did the 9-1-1 operators advise those inside the buildings to do?
4. What are the three (3) basic problems the U.S. has had in its relationship with Pakistan?
5. Describe the bombing attempt on the USS The Sullivans in January 2000.
6. What is the President of the United States required by law to ensure to the Intelligence Committees?
7. What was the "Hamburg Group" instructed by Bin Laden to do? What did the "Hamburg Group" end up doing instead? Why did the "Hamburg Group" not do what Bin Laden instructed them to do?
8. What is the Proliferation Security Initiative? Who announced the PSI?
9. How would creating an office of National Intelligence Director help the FBI?
10. Describe the Minneapolis FBI investigation of Zacarias Moussaoui. Was the FBI able to connect Moussaoui to al-Qaeda?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe al-Qaeda. What are the objectives of al-Qaeda? Who funds the group? Who leads the group? What are some of al-Qaeda's strengths and weaknesses? How can the U.S. exploit these weaknesses?
Essay Topic 2
How can the U.S use the resources and the people it has readily available to achieve unity within the government and their agencies?
Essay Topic 3
The Commission states that they do not know for certain why Hazmi and Mihdhar came to California, why do you suppose they chose California? What could California supply Hazmi and Mihdhar with that another U.S. state could not?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)