|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who became the new national security adviser for the Bush Administration?
(a) Donald Rumsfeld.
(b) Condoleezza Rice.
(c) Richard Clarke.
(d) Colin Powell.
2. When did KSM originally meet with Bin Laden to present a vague plan to hijack planes and use them as guided missiles?
3. The counter-terrorism meeting between Richard Clarke and the Bush Administration did not take place until when?
(a) 1 year before 9/11.
(b) 1 week before 9/11.
(c) 1 month before 9/11.
(d) 1 week after 9/11.
4. From the end of WWII until the late 1960s, the FBI operated, in part, as a kind of ________ ________ service.
(a) International dispute.
(b) International intelligence.
(c) Domestic intelligence.
(d) Domestic dispute.
5. Bin Laden and KSM decided the hijackers would mainly have to be from __________ nations because they could get U.S. visas with less scrutiny.
Short Answer Questions
1. By 1991, Bin Laden was running a worldwide network of front charities and businesses from where?
2. Fatwa is an interpretation of __________ law by a respected Islamic authority.
3. In late 1999, which authorities broke up a cell with ties to al-Qaeda that was planning to attack a hotel in downtown Amman, Jordan, and several Christian holy sites?
4. Any order to shoot down a passenger aircraft had to come from the President or who?
5. The American intelligence apparatus launched a full-press effort to disrupt suspected ________ plots.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was President Bush's Vice President? What did the Vice President do on September 14, 2001?
2. When did the U.S. government become aware of Bin Laden's involvement in financing terrorist attacks against the U.S interests? What did the State Department detect in his financing?
3. In the spring of 2001, there was a sudden spike in intelligence indicating a heightened risk of a Muslim terrorist attack against U.S. interest. Give an example of what one report stated.
4. What event gave people inside the WTC the impression that rooftop rescues were part of the WTC evacuation plan?
5. The Commission's investigation showed that there were two systemic weaknesses that came together in our border system's inability to contribute to an effective defense against the 9/11 attacks. Describe these weaknesses.
6. What was the standard protocol for a passenger that sets off the metal detectors passing through the screening checkpoints inside the airport prior to 9/11/2001?
7. What were the two classifications of the 9/11 hijackers?
8. Before 9/11, how was the performance of the FBI measured?
9. Who killed Ahmed Shah Massoud? How did they succeed in killing Massoud?
10. Why was Bin Laden convinced that America was a "paper tiger" similar to the Soviet Union?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)