|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By 1991, bin Laden had forged alliances with Muslim terrorist groups and succeeded in recruiting _________ Muslims for terrorist attacks against U.S. targets.
2. What did President Clinton offer to Pakistan's President Musharraf in return for decisive action against the Taliban and al-Qaeda?
(a) The moon.
(b) Increased military support.
3. Any order to shoot down a passenger aircraft had to come from the President or who?
(a) The U.S. Air Force.
(b) The Vice President.
(c) The Secretary of Defense.
(d) The U.S Army.
4. ________ increasingly became the province of non-sate actors during the 1980s and 1990s?
(a) Armed conflict.
(b) World war.
(c) Civil war.
5. Khalid Sheik Mohammed (KSM) earned a college degree in what subject?
(b) Mechanical engineering.
(d) Computer science.
6. Where did American Airlines Flight 11 crash?
(a) In a field in Pennsylvania.
(b) Into the North Tower.
(c) Into the South Tower.
(d) The Pentagon.
7. At the age of 23, Bin Laden was which type of fighter?
8. Who ordered the National Security Council to coordinate a response against the terrorist who bombed the World Trade Center's parking garage?
(a) President Ronald Reagan.
(b) President George W. Bush.
(c) President George H. W. Bush.
(d) President Bill Clinton.
9. In the late __________ NORAD carried out exercises for a scenario in which terrorists would hijack and use commercial airliners as weapons.
10. Who was the NSA supposed to notify of any suspicious domestic terrorist activities?
11. Who was the prominent preacher who stressed the importance of waging violent jihad and even personally pressed some members of the Hamburg groups to fulfill their duty to jihad by fighting in Afghanistan?
(a) Gamal Abdel Nasser.
(b) Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini.
(c) Mohammed Haydar Zammar.
(d) Hamid Karzai.
12. Fatwa is an interpretation of __________ law by a respected Islamic authority.
13. When was the CIA created?
(a) After WWII.
(b) After the Gulf War.
(c) After WWI.
(d) After the Cold War.
14. How was the August 7, 1998, attack on American embassies at Nairobi, Kenya, and Dar es Salaam destroyed?
(a) By truck bombs.
(b) By gunmen.
(c) By hijacked aircraft.
(d) By WMD's.
15. Who was the Taliban's most important and most capable enemy?
(a) The U.N.
(b) The Southern Alliance.
(c) The Northern Alliance.
(d) Saudi Arabia.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who killed Ahmed Shah Massoud?
2. By July 1999, the U.S. succeeded in labeling Afghanistan a state sponsor of __________.
3. In Bin Laden's view, who is Islam's principal enemy?
4. Which Taliban leader promised the U.S. to expel Bin Laden?
5. Richard Clarke wanted to increase U.S. support for the __________ __________.
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)