|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Between 1996 and September 11, 2001, Afghanistan became a kind of international headquarters of __________.
2. Who became the new national security adviser for the Bush Administration?
(a) Colin Powell.
(b) Richard Clarke.
(c) Donald Rumsfeld.
(d) Condoleezza Rice.
3. What federal government was perhaps the least well-equipped branch of government to deal with terrorism?
(a) Judicial branch.
(c) U.S. military.
4. By the late 1970s, what began to get directly involved in counter-terrorist operations?
(a) The Pentagon.
(b) The FAA.
(c) The White House.
(d) The FBI.
5. In 1993, what item was proposed to be banned from passenger carry-on baggage but was rejected?
6. Where did American Airlines Flight 11 crash?
(a) The Pentagon.
(b) Into the South Tower.
(c) Into the North Tower.
(d) In a field in Pennsylvania.
7. What was the name of KSM's plot to blow up several American airliners over the Pacific ocean?
(a) The "Bojinka Plot".
(b) The "Lackawanna Six Plot".
(c) The "Dirty Bomb Plot".
(d) The Shoe Bomber Operation".
8. When was the CIA created?
(a) After WWII.
(b) After the Gulf War.
(c) After the Cold War.
(d) After WWI.
9. As of 1993, the public and Congress seemed convinced that treating terrorism that occurred on U.S. soil was a ________ ________ problem.
(a) U.S. Navy.
(b) U.S. Army.
(c) Law Enforcement.
(d) U.S. Marines.
10. The counter-terrorism meeting between Richard Clarke and the Bush Administration did not take place until when?
(a) 1 month before 9/11.
(b) 1 year before 9/11.
(c) 1 week before 9/11.
(d) 1 week after 9/11.
11. When Bin Laden returned to Afghanistan from Sudan in May 1996, he was greeted by a reactivation of which U.S. agencies intelligence networks?
12. How many members of the Hamburg group received a U.S. visa?
13. When did Bin Laden last warn of potential attacks against the U.S.?
14. The outcome of the November 7, 2000, presidential election was not decided for how many days?
15. By 1997, the CIA's Bin Laden unit knew that al-Qaeda was planning attacks against __________ interests and was actively seeking nuclear materials.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Indonesian terrorist group that accepted Bin Laden's offer of an alliance with the purpose of waging war against Christians and Jews?
2. What was the name of Bin Laden's main camp in Afghanistan?
3. After WWII, what was the chief agency involved in setting foreign policy and advising the President on foreign policy?
4. Who issued two Presidential Decision Directives in 1995 and 1998 reiterating that terrorism was a national security threat and not simply a law enforcement issue?
5. In what country did Bin Laden and Zawahiri published a Fatwa in an Arabic newspaper?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)