|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of vehicle do Cassie and the others escape in, in Part XIII: “The Black Hole,” Chapter 90?
2. Where has Cassie been shot in Part VII: “The Heart to Kill”?
3. How much time does the narrator of Part X: “A Thousand Ways,” Chapter 78 say he has until the bomb will go off at the chapter’s opening?
4. What does Colonel Vosch say is “the secret to victory” in Part XIII: “The Black Hole,” Chapter 85?
5. What is Cassie’s middle name in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the relationship between Evan and Cassie progress in Part VII: “The Heart to Kill”?
2. How does Evan explain his relationship to the Others in Part IX: “A Flower to the Rain”?
3. How does Cassie progress in making her way into the compound in Part XI: “The Infinite Sea”?
4. What does Cassie promise herself as she makes her way toward Sammy in Part XI: “The Infinite Sea”?
5. Where does Evan go every evening in Part VII: “The Heart to Kill”? Why?
6. Where is Zombie traveling in the opening of Part XII: “Because of Kistner,” Chapter 81?
7. How do the protagonists of the novel escape in the ending of Part XIII: “The Black Hole”?
8. What aspect of Evan’s physicality causes Cassie to doubt his intentions in Part VII: “The Heart to Kill”?
9. What theme dominates Part VII: “The Heart to Kill” How is this theme illustrated?
10. How is Squad 53’s arrival on the battlefield described in Part VIII: “The Spirit of Vengeance”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Family and Love in The 5th Wave
a. Discuss the theme of family in the novel. How many characters in the story have lost a family member during the alien attacks? How have these losses affected the characters?
b. How do the themes of family and love act as catalysts for the protagonists in the story? How does Cassie relate to these themes? How does Evan? How do Ben and Sammy?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of “the Others” as presented in the novel. Why does Cassie use this term to refer to the alien life forms on Earth? What are the various connotations of this phrase? How is “the Other” used outside of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Colonel Vosch in the novel. In what ways does Colonel Vosch represent the narrative’s antagonist? What are Vosch’s actions, objectives, and obstacles in the story?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)