|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From how many wounds is the narrator bleeding in Part XII: “Because of Kistner”?
2. Where does Cassie tell Sammy their father is waiting for them in Part XIII: “The Black Hole,” Chapter 83?
3. When Evan returns in Part VII: “The Heart to Kill,” Chapter 55, he tells Cassie he was stalking what animal, although he shot nothing?
4. Sammy tells Cassie in Part XIII: “The Black Hole,” Chapter 83 that who says they’re going to escape on a big plane?
5. Where does Evan say he found the rifle in Part VII: “The Heart to Kill,” Chapter 55?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who narrates Part X: “A Thousand Ways”? What is the setting that opens this section of the novel?
2. What theme dominates Part VII: “The Heart to Kill” How is this theme illustrated?
3. What discovery does Ringer and Zombie make on the battlefield in Part VIII: “The Spirit of Vengeance”?
4. How does Cassie go about infiltrating Camp Haven in Part IX: “A Flower to the Rain”?
5. What does Cassie find in the barn at Evan’s farm in Part VII: “The Heart to Kill”? How does she react?
6. How does Evan respond when Cassie confronts him about what she found in the barn in Part VII: “The Heart to Kill”?
7. How do the protagonists of the novel escape in the ending of Part XIII: “The Black Hole”?
8. How does Cassie progress in making her way into the compound in Part XI: “The Infinite Sea”?
9. Where is Zombie traveling in the opening of Part XII: “Because of Kistner,” Chapter 81?
10. How does the relationship between Evan and Cassie progress in Part VII: “The Heart to Kill”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of Dr. Pam in the novel. What is Dr. Pam’s role at Camp Haven? What are Dr. Pam’s true intentions in the story? What leads to Dr. Pam’s death?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of Hutchfield in the novel. How long has Hutchfield been in control of the camp at Ashpit? What is his title? How does he greet Cassie’s family when they arrive?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the actions and events of Part VIII: “The Spirit of Vengeance.” What leads Zombie to the revelation that he and the other soldiers have been brainwashed? What danger do Zombie and the others face once they’ve made this discovery? What plan do they develop for securing safety?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)