|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cassie tells Colonel Vosch in Part XIII: “The Black Hole,” Chapter 85, “All you have to do is implant us and download us into” what?
2. Of humankind, the narrator says in Part XIII: “The Black Hole,” Chapter 87, “You’re beating plowshares into swords, Vosch. You are remaking us. We are the clay, and you are” whom?
3. Who is described as having “very shiny and very straight black hair, but also has the flawless complexion of an airbrushed model, the kind you see on the covers of fashion magazines smiling arrogantly at you in the checkout line” in Part XIII: “The Black Hole,” Chapter 91?
4. The narrator in Part XII: “Because of Kistner” says that who is dead?
5. Who threatens to mutiny because he feels Zombie is a poor leader in Part VIII: “The Spirit of Vengeance”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What choice is Cassie given in order to save Sammy in Part XIII: “The Black Hole”?
2. What aspect of Evan’s physicality causes Cassie to doubt his intentions in Part VII: “The Heart to Kill”?
3. What does Cassie find in the barn at Evan’s farm in Part VII: “The Heart to Kill”? How does she react?
4. Where does Evan go every evening in Part VII: “The Heart to Kill”? Why?
5. What discovery does Ringer and Zombie make on the battlefield in Part VIII: “The Spirit of Vengeance”?
6. Where is Zombie traveling in the opening of Part XII: “Because of Kistner,” Chapter 81?
7. How does the author effectively build tension in the narrative in Part XII: “Because of Kistner”?
8. What obstacles are faced by the narrator in the course of Part X: “A Thousand Ways”?
9. How does Cassie go about infiltrating Camp Haven in Part IX: “A Flower to the Rain”?
10. How does the relationship between Evan and Cassie progress in Part VII: “The Heart to Kill”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Colonel Vosch in the novel. In what ways does Colonel Vosch represent the narrative’s antagonist? What are Vosch’s actions, objectives, and obstacles in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of compassion, humanity, and duty in The 5th Wave. How are these themes seen through the eyes of the Silencer in the story? What symbolism and imagery relate to these themes? How does Cassie’s view of humanity change in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Define “irony” in literature and the different forms of irony: verbal irony, dramatic irony, and situational irony. Discuss some examples of irony seen in The 5th Wave. What types of irony is each of these examples? What purpose does the irony serve?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)