|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cassie describes the second rule of survival in Part VII: “The Heart to Kill,” Chapter 53 by saying, “The only way to stay alive as long as possible is to” what?
2. Cassie says to Evan in Part IX: “A Flower to the Rain,” Chapter 68, “1st Wave: lights out. 2nd Wave: surf’s up. 3rd Wave: pestilence. 4th Wave:” what?
3. What does narrator say “is so loud, I can feel the hairs on the back of my neck vibrating” in the opening of Part XI: “The Infinite Sea”?
4. What conclusion does the narrator reach regarding the explosions in Part XII: “Because of Kistner”?
5. What name does Cassie whisper in Part XIII: “The Black Hole,” Chapter 91, saying that it’s Evan’s name for her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What aspect of Evan’s physicality causes Cassie to doubt his intentions in Part VII: “The Heart to Kill”?
2. What choice is Cassie given in order to save Sammy in Part XIII: “The Black Hole”?
3. How does the author effectively build tension in the narrative in Part XII: “Because of Kistner”?
4. How does the relationship between Evan and Cassie progress in Part VII: “The Heart to Kill”?
5. Where is Zombie traveling in the opening of Part XII: “Because of Kistner,” Chapter 81?
6. How is Squad 53’s arrival on the battlefield described in Part VIII: “The Spirit of Vengeance”?
7. What does Cassie find in the barn at Evan’s farm in Part VII: “The Heart to Kill”? How does she react?
8. What theme dominates Part VII: “The Heart to Kill” How is this theme illustrated?
9. How does Evan explain his relationship to the Others in Part IX: “A Flower to the Rain”?
10. How do the protagonists of the novel escape in the ending of Part XIII: “The Black Hole”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the events that Cassie describes as having occurred during the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Waves in the narrative. How many human beings were killed in each of these “attacks”? How does Cassie compare the expectations of the people with the reality of the invasion?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Zombie in The 5th Wave. How does Zombie differ from Cassie in terms of his objectives, actions, and obstacles? What setting does Zombie describe when he is first introduced? How old is Zombie? What was his name prior to the invasion?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the actions and events of Part VIII: “The Spirit of Vengeance.” What leads Zombie to the revelation that he and the other soldiers have been brainwashed? What danger do Zombie and the others face once they’ve made this discovery? What plan do they develop for securing safety?
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)