|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Cassie is sitting next to whom on the cot when the drone reappears in Cassie’s flashback in Part I: “The Last Historian,” Chapter 15?
2. By what name does Sammy refer to his grandmother in Part V: “The Winnowing,” Chapter 37?
3. The narrator asserts in Part III: “Silencer,” “Cruelty isn’t a personality trait. Cruelty is” what?
(c) “A habit.”
4. What is Cassie wearing when she begins to regain consciousness in Part IV: “Mayfly,” Chapter 33?
(a) A men’s dress shirt and boxer shorts.
(b) A floral-printed cotton nightie.
(c) A winter coat and blue jeans.
(d) A silk kimono and flannel pajamas.
5. Who does Cassie say she called “a sicko for trying to give me a corpse’s jewelry” in Part IV: “Mayfly,” Chapter 34?
6. The little girl who is sitting across from Sammy on the bus in Part V: “The Winnowing,” Chapter 38 is named what?
7. How old is Cassie’s little brother in the novel?
8. What does Cassie describe as “number one on the ‘How do I know if I’m alive?’ checklist” in Part IV: “Mayfly,” Chapter 33?
(a) Whether or not she’s breathing.
(b) Whether she can scream.
(c) Whether she can hear her heartbeat.
(d) Whether or not she can stand up.
9. How does Evan say he found Cassie in Part IV: “Mayfly”?
(a) He followed the sound of gunshots.
(b) He saw buzzards circling her.
(c) He heard her whimpering.
(d) He saw steam coming from the car.
10. Who is the big man that first greets the children when the buses arrive at Camp Haven in Part V: “The Winnowing,” Chapter 39?
(a) Major Bob.
(b) Major Tom.
(c) Major Jim.
(d) Major Bill.
11. Cassie says in Part I: “The Last Historian” that she was named after what?
(a) A river in Greece.
(b) A Hindu goddess.
(c) A hotel in Naples.
(d) A constellation.
12. Who kills Cassie’s father in Part I: “The Last Historian”?
(a) Colonel Vosch.
(b) Mrs. Sullivan.
13. Of Cassie, what does the narrator say “crystallized her reason, hardened her will, clarified her options” in Part III: “Silencer”?
14. In the narrator’s metaphor for war in Part III: “Silencer,” what does he refer to as “the battlefield”?
(a) “[Cassie’s] face.”
(b) “His heart.”
(c) “The Earth.”
(d) “His reason.”
15. What is Ben’s last name in the novel?
Short Answer Questions
1. Cassie is said to stand a little over what height in bare feet in Part III: “Silencer”?
2. What kind of animal perches outside the woman’s window as she dreams in the novel’s Prologue: “Intrusion: 1995”?
3. The young cadet called “Nugget” is actually what character in Part VI: “The Human Clay”?
4. Part III: “Silencer,” the narrator uses a metaphor for war, describing the war as what part of the Silencer?
5. What name does Zombie call his squad leader in Part VI: “The Human Clay”?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)