|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much rent will Janey have to pay as a boarder?
2. When the play closes after two weeks, what does Eleanor and Eveline fail to receive?
3. What place do they go to first on their journey in Europe that Annabelle dislikes?
4. What does Mac become a part owner of?
5. What do Johnny and Annabelle decide to do after they get married?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Eleanor do to conceal her upbringing?
2. What does Ward want to achieve on his own without Annabelle's support?
3. What new relationships does Mac form in Mexico City?
4. Why does Gertrude threaten Ward with divorce, and what effect can this divorce have upon him?
5. Why does Eleanor befriend Miss Eliza Perkins?
6. What does Charley decide to do when the pregnancy is terminated?
7. What effect does Annabelle's decision to terminate her pregnancy have on Ward?
8. How does Janey change when she lives in New York?
9. Why does Janey quit her job and look for new work?
10. What happens when Ward accepts the job from McGill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it is exhibited in the 42nd Parallel. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the 42nd Parallel. Then cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
John dos Passos is known for paying homage to various authors and works of literature. Choose at least four references used in the book. Write at least 250 words on each reference. Also add your opinion as to why dos Passos chose that particular author or reference.
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)