Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who offers Charley pills to terminate a pregnancy?
2. Where will Eleanor and Eveline be staying in New York as they start work?
3. Whom did Charley and Ed Walter date from the amusement park?
4. What does Johnny want to study so he can get a job overseas?
5. After finishing eighth grade, where does Charley go to work with his brother for the summer?
The working class American is an important figure of John Dos Passos' work. In the 42nd Parallel, Dos Passos tracks the gritty lives of the working and middle class Americans with whom he identifies. Before the New Deal, what was the biggest struggle for working class Americans? Does John dos Passos offer realistic and insightful characterizations and descriptions of early 20th century life in the United States? Explain your thoughts.
Describe Eleanor. What is her role in the story? How does she compare with the other four main characters? What struggles must she overcome? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Eleanor's character in the novel?
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the 42nd Parallel. Then cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)