|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Johnny overhear a bellboy say about Annabelle?
2. Mac goes to join ___________in Mexico.
3. When Janey is upset by the pro-German atmosphere at her law firm, she quits and goes to work for a new company. What is the new company called?
4. When her wealthy friend dies, what does Eleanor secretly hope for?
5. What is the story that circulates about Eleanor when she starts her first job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Eleanor do to conceal her upbringing?
2. What does Charley decide to do when the pregnancy is terminated?
3. After the play fails, how does Eleanor recover?
4. When Janey first arrives in New York, what is her initial impression?
5. How does Eleanor's employment situation change when Eveline returns from Europe?
6. What happens when Ward accepts the job from McGill?
7. Initially, what decision does Johnny make about Annabelle in pages 151-172?
8. What is Eleanor's relationship with her father?
9. How does Mac act in a similar fashion in Mexico City as he did in California?
10. What happens when Charley's girlfriend gets pregnant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the 42nd Parallel. Then cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
When Mac travels to Mexico, he does not go for physical reasons. Instead, he goes to stimulate his mind and to free his spirit. What is the significance of taking a spiritual journey versus just a physical one? How does this affect Mac in particular?
Part 1) What is the difference in the journeys of Mac versus that of Janey?
Part 2) Describe Mac's final experience and how it varies greatly from his first trip. What new friends has he made? What fears has he conquered? What relationships has he formed, and what relationships has he severed? Why?
Part 3) Of the five main characters, who gains the most knowledge and understanding from traveling? Why?
Essay Topic 3
John dos Passos is known for paying homage to various authors and works of literature. Choose at least four references used in the book. Write at least 250 words on each reference. Also add your opinion as to why dos Passos chose that particular author or reference.
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)