|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he was in Pittsburgh, at whose house did Ward lodge?
2. What do Johnny and Annabelle decide to do after they get married?
3. Who is Mac's coworker in Mexico?
4. Eleanor gets the project of decorating the house of _________.
5. With whom does Mac enjoy discussing politics that works in the oil industry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does Annabelle's decision to terminate her pregnancy have on Ward?
2. Why does Eleanor befriend Miss Eliza Perkins?
3. When Mac arrives in Mexico City, what changes does he experience in his employment?
4. What does Eleanor do to conceal her upbringing?
5. What does Charley decide to do when the pregnancy is terminated?
6. What does Ward want in his line of work, and how does he achieve it?
7. How does Ward and Gertrude's relationship change after they have children?
8. What effect does the war have on Ward's relationship with Gertrude and his work?
9. What happens that makes Janey feel that she has made the "big time" at work?
10. When Eveline and Eleanor's business fails, what job opportunity do they take?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings for the stories in the 42nd Parallel. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did the author choose to use these places in the stories of the 42nd Parallel?
Essay Topic 2
The 42nd Parallel is an example of fictional realism. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Janey and Ward are two of the main characters of the 42nd Parallel.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they coexist, and how do they interact? What is similar about them, and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Ward directly influenced? What are some events that Janey directly influenced?
Part 3) Which character offers support to other characters? Which one is stronger and why?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)