|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kinds of tickets does Mac buy?
2. Who quarrels with Ward in his ofﬁce, threatening divorce?
3. Who takes Janey to dinner and proposes marriage to her?
4. Who is suffering from financial problems because of a collapse in the real estate industry?
5. Whom did Charley and Ed Walter date from the amusement park?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Charley decide to do when the pregnancy is terminated?
2. Why does Gertrude threaten Ward with divorce, and what effect can this divorce have upon him?
3. How does Eleanor's employment situation change when Eveline returns from Europe?
4. What is Eleanor's relationship with her father?
5. Initially, what decision does Johnny make about Annabelle in pages 151-172?
6. What happens that makes Janey feel that she has made the "big time" at work?
7. What does Charley do for work in Minneapolis when he moves there?
8. How does Janey change when she lives in New York?
9. When Mac arrives in Mexico City, what changes does he experience in his employment?
10. What does Ward want to achieve on his own without Annabelle's support?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the 42nd Parallel. Then cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The working class American is an important figure of John Dos Passos' work. In the 42nd Parallel, Dos Passos tracks the gritty lives of the working and middle class Americans with whom he identifies. Before the New Deal, what was the biggest struggle for working class Americans? Does John dos Passos offer realistic and insightful characterizations and descriptions of early 20th century life in the United States? Explain your thoughts.
Essay Topic 3
The 42nd Parallel is an example of fictional realism. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)