|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Eleanor's friend Eric Enstrom live?
2. What does Charley do with the pills?
3. Eleanor gets the project of decorating the house of _________.
4. When he was in Pittsburgh, at whose house did Ward lodge?
5. What is Janey's new role at Moorehouse's company?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ward want in his line of work, and how does he achieve it?
2. How does Janey change when she lives in New York?
3. What does Charley decide to do when the pregnancy is terminated?
4. How did Janey become the personal secretary of J. Ward Moorehouse?
5. Why does Gertrude threaten Ward with divorce, and what effect can this divorce have upon him?
6. When Mac arrives in Mexico City, what changes does he experience in his employment?
7. Why does Janey quit her job and look for new work?
8. Why does Eleanor befriend Miss Eliza Perkins?
9. What is Eleanor's relationship with her father?
10. What new relationships does Mac form in Mexico City?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain John dos Passos' use of irony in the 42nd Parallel. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
Janey and Ward are two of the main characters of the 42nd Parallel.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they coexist, and how do they interact? What is similar about them, and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Ward directly influenced? What are some events that Janey directly influenced?
Part 3) Which character offers support to other characters? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 3
When Mac travels to Mexico, he does not go for physical reasons. Instead, he goes to stimulate his mind and to free his spirit. What is the significance of taking a spiritual journey versus just a physical one? How does this affect Mac in particular?
Part 1) What is the difference in the journeys of Mac versus that of Janey?
Part 2) Describe Mac's final experience and how it varies greatly from his first trip. What new friends has he made? What fears has he conquered? What relationships has he formed, and what relationships has he severed? Why?
Part 3) Of the five main characters, who gains the most knowledge and understanding from traveling? Why?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)