|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Eleanor's French teacher dies, who replaces her?
2. Who is in charge of the production of the play?
3. Where did Charley work as a machinist's assistant?
4. Who quarrels with Ward in his ofﬁce, threatening divorce?
5. What does Johnny overhear a bellboy say about Annabelle?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Eleanor. What is her role in the story? How does she compare with the other four main characters? What struggles must she overcome? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Eleanor's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The working class American is an important figure of John Dos Passos' work. In the 42nd Parallel, Dos Passos tracks the gritty lives of the working and middle class Americans with whom he identifies. Before the New Deal, what was the biggest struggle for working class Americans? Does John dos Passos offer realistic and insightful characterizations and descriptions of early 20th century life in the United States? Explain your thoughts.
Essay Topic 3
The 42nd Parallel is an example of fictional realism. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 1,295 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)