|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mac hears that rebels will be arriving in the city, whose government is expected to flee?
2. What is the name of the man who occupies the upper berth of the train compartment that Janey is traveling in?
3. In his meeting with McGill to address the strike, what does Ward propose?
4. Where is Janey's new residence that she moves to in September located?
5. Where does a strike occur that results in violence, press coverage, and investigations?
Essay Topic 1
Janey and Ward are two of the main characters of the 42nd Parallel.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they coexist, and how do they interact? What is similar about them, and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Ward directly influenced? What are some events that Janey directly influenced?
Part 3) Which character offers support to other characters? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of discontentment in the 42nd Parallel. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience discontentment. Cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Every main character in the 42nd Parallel (Janey, Mac, Ward, Eleanor, and Charley) wants to find a purpose in life and seeks meaning through self-expression. Which characters find purpose and direction to their lives and in what ways? Which characters do not achieve this? Explain.
This section contains 1,325 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)