|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is in charge of the production of the play?
2. What place do they go to first on their journey in Europe that Annabelle dislikes?
3. When he was in Pittsburgh, at whose house did Ward lodge?
4. Who is the wealthy socialite that Eleanor starts to hang out with frequently?
5. What is the name of the river mentioned in the Camera Eye section of pgs. 215-236?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mac do when the Zapata arrives in Mexico City?
2. What effect does Annabelle's decision to terminate her pregnancy have on Ward?
3. How does Mac act in a similar fashion in Mexico City as he did in California?
4. Why is Charley eager to leave Fargo?
5. What is Eleanor's relationship with her father?
6. When Mac arrives in Mexico City, what changes does he experience in his employment?
7. After Ward leaves Annabelle, where does he live, and what is life like there?
8. When Janey first arrives in New York, what is her initial impression?
9. What does Charley do for work in Minneapolis when he moves there?
10. How does Ward and Gertrude's relationship change after they have children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Every main character in the 42nd Parallel (Janey, Mac, Ward, Eleanor, and Charley) wants to find a purpose in life and seeks meaning through self-expression. Which characters find purpose and direction to their lives and in what ways? Which characters do not achieve this? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Janey and Ward are two of the main characters of the 42nd Parallel.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they coexist, and how do they interact? What is similar about them, and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Ward directly influenced? What are some events that Janey directly influenced?
Part 3) Which character offers support to other characters? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 3
The 42nd Parallel was known as the major storm path across North America. The 42nd parallel north is a circle of latitude that is 42 degrees north of the Earth's equatorial plane. It crosses Europe, the Mediterranean Sea, Asia, the Pacific Ocean, North America, and the Atlantic Ocean. The 42nd Parallel of latitude runs right through the heart of the United States. What do you think of John dos Passos' choice of title for the book? Is it appropriate? Explain. How does this title relate to the five characters of Fainy McCreary (Mac), Janey, J. Ward Moorehouse, Eleanor Stoddard, and Charley Anderson?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)