|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Janey's new residence that she moves to in September located?
2. In Shoreham, what does a woman tell Janey that they need assistance with in one of the rooms?
3. Who is the wealthy socialite that Eleanor starts to hang out with frequently?
4. Where is Charley Anderson from?
5. What organization does Mac want to join by meeting legitimate Mexican arrivals?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Ward accepts the job from McGill?
2. How did Janey become the personal secretary of J. Ward Moorehouse?
3. Initially, what decision does Johnny make about Annabelle in pages 151-172?
4. What does Charley decide to do when the pregnancy is terminated?
5. What does Mac do when the Zapata arrives in Mexico City?
6. What happens that makes Janey feel that she has made the "big time" at work?
7. What is Eleanor's relationship with her father?
8. How does Ward and Gertrude's relationship change after they have children?
9. Why is Charley eager to leave Fargo?
10. When Mac arrives in Mexico City, what changes does he experience in his employment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The working class American is an important figure of John Dos Passos' work. In the 42nd Parallel, Dos Passos tracks the gritty lives of the working and middle class Americans with whom he identifies. Before the New Deal, what was the biggest struggle for working class Americans? Does John dos Passos offer realistic and insightful characterizations and descriptions of early 20th century life in the United States? Explain your thoughts.
Essay Topic 2
The 42nd Parallel is written from the third-person point of view where the narrator is an outsider who can report only what he or she sees and hears. This narrator can tell us what is happening, but he cannot tell us the thoughts of the characters. This method allows the author to establish the setting and to supply background information to the reader about people, places, and events. Is this method effective? Why or why not? Would a first-person narrative be more or less appealing? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of discontentment in the 42nd Parallel. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience discontentment. Cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)