|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is suffering from financial problems because of a collapse in the real estate industry?
2. When Eleanor changes residences, who is her wealthy new friend?
3. When Janey is upset by the pro-German atmosphere at her law firm, she quits and goes to work for a new company. What is the new company called?
4. Where does Eleanor's friend Eric Enstrom live?
5. How much rent will Janey have to pay as a boarder?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mac do when the Zapata arrives in Mexico City?
2. Why does Eleanor befriend Miss Eliza Perkins?
3. What effect does the war have on Ward's relationship with Gertrude and his work?
4. How does Janey change when she lives in New York?
5. What does Ward want to achieve on his own without Annabelle's support?
6. What happens when Ward accepts the job from McGill?
7. How does Eleanor's employment situation change when Eveline returns from Europe?
8. Initially, what decision does Johnny make about Annabelle in pages 151-172?
9. How does Mac act in a similar fashion in Mexico City as he did in California?
10. After the play fails, how does Eleanor recover?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The intimate relationships of men and women in the 42nd Parallel are complicated. Sex and love are associated often with power. Fidelity is questionable, and marriage is often a choice to accommodate pregnancy. What do you think of the relationships between men and women in the 42nd Parallel? Are they promising? Are they depressing? Are they realistic? Share your thoughts.
Essay Topic 2
Explain John dos Passos' use of irony in the 42nd Parallel. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the 42nd Parallel. Then cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)