|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Shoreham, what does a woman tell Janey that they need assistance with in one of the rooms?
2. Where does Joe take his date to see a show in pages 257-282?
3. What does Johnny want to study so he can get a job overseas?
4. To whom did Charley become engaged at Christmas?
5. Who cuts a trip short in Europe because of the threat of war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Charley eager to leave Fargo?
2. After Ward leaves Annabelle, where does he live, and what is life like there?
3. What effect does Annabelle's decision to terminate her pregnancy have on Ward?
4. What does Charley decide to do when the pregnancy is terminated?
5. How does Eleanor's employment situation change when Eveline returns from Europe?
6. How did Janey become the personal secretary of J. Ward Moorehouse?
7. What does Charley do for work in Minneapolis when he moves there?
8. What happens when Charley's girlfriend gets pregnant?
9. What does Ward want to achieve on his own without Annabelle's support?
10. What happens that makes Janey feel that she has made the "big time" at work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of discontentment in the 42nd Parallel. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience discontentment. Cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
The intimate relationships of men and women in the 42nd Parallel are complicated. Sex and love are associated often with power. Fidelity is questionable, and marriage is often a choice to accommodate pregnancy. What do you think of the relationships between men and women in the 42nd Parallel? Are they promising? Are they depressing? Are they realistic? Share your thoughts.
Essay Topic 3
Janey and Ward are two of the main characters of the 42nd Parallel.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they coexist, and how do they interact? What is similar about them, and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Ward directly influenced? What are some events that Janey directly influenced?
Part 3) Which character offers support to other characters? Which one is stronger and why?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)