|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Janey is upset by the pro-German atmosphere at her law firm, she quits and goes to work for a new company. What is the new company called?
2. What organization does Mac want to join by meeting legitimate Mexican arrivals?
3. When Janey and Moorehouse return to the United States in a private train car, with whom do they travel?
4. According to the Americans, where can Mac find work?
5. Who meets Eleanor and Eveline in New York?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Charley's girlfriend gets pregnant?
2. After the play fails, how does Eleanor recover?
3. Why does Gertrude threaten Ward with divorce, and what effect can this divorce have upon him?
4. What does Charley do for work in Minneapolis when he moves there?
5. What does Charley decide to do when the pregnancy is terminated?
6. Why does Janey quit her job and look for new work?
7. When Mac arrives in Mexico City, what changes does he experience in his employment?
8. After Ward leaves Annabelle, where does he live, and what is life like there?
9. How did Janey become the personal secretary of J. Ward Moorehouse?
10. Initially, what decision does Johnny make about Annabelle in pages 151-172?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of discontentment in the 42nd Parallel. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience discontentment. Cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Eleanor. What is her role in the story? How does she compare with the other four main characters? What struggles must she overcome? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Eleanor's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The 42nd Parallel was known as the major storm path across North America. The 42nd parallel north is a circle of latitude that is 42 degrees north of the Earth's equatorial plane. It crosses Europe, the Mediterranean Sea, Asia, the Pacific Ocean, North America, and the Atlantic Ocean. The 42nd Parallel of latitude runs right through the heart of the United States. What do you think of John dos Passos' choice of title for the book? Is it appropriate? Explain. How does this title relate to the five characters of Fainy McCreary (Mac), Janey, J. Ward Moorehouse, Eleanor Stoddard, and Charley Anderson?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)