|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the river mentioned in the Camera Eye section of pgs. 215-236?
2. Who is the man at the Hotel Continental that offers Janey a new job?
3. Who is the nephew of one of the directors at Ward's new job with whom he socializes?
4. Where does Joe take his date to see a show in pages 257-282?
5. To whom did Charley become engaged at Christmas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ward want to achieve on his own without Annabelle's support?
2. When Mac arrives in Mexico City, what changes does he experience in his employment?
3. After the play fails, how does Eleanor recover?
4. How does Eleanor's employment situation change when Eveline returns from Europe?
5. What happens when Charley's girlfriend gets pregnant?
6. What happens when Ward accepts the job from McGill?
7. What happens that makes Janey feel that she has made the "big time" at work?
8. When Eveline and Eleanor's business fails, what job opportunity do they take?
9. What does Charley decide to do when the pregnancy is terminated?
10. Why does Gertrude threaten Ward with divorce, and what effect can this divorce have upon him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Janey and Ward are two of the main characters of the 42nd Parallel.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they coexist, and how do they interact? What is similar about them, and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Ward directly influenced? What are some events that Janey directly influenced?
Part 3) Which character offers support to other characters? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 2
The 42nd Parallel is written from the third-person point of view where the narrator is an outsider who can report only what he or she sees and hears. This narrator can tell us what is happening, but he cannot tell us the thoughts of the characters. This method allows the author to establish the setting and to supply background information to the reader about people, places, and events. Is this method effective? Why or why not? Would a first-person narrative be more or less appealing? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
Pregnancy is an issue that arises in many of the stories of the 42nd Parallel. How is Maisie's pregnancy different from the pregnancy of Annabelle or Emsecah? How do the male partners in these different situations respond? Do they stick by the women or run? How is marriage thus portrayed as a result? Do you find these views pessimistic? Explain.
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)