|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Joe take his date to see a show in pages 257-282?
2. What organization does Mac want to join by meeting legitimate Mexican arrivals?
3. In the brief bio section of the Newsreel in pages 283-304, whose biography is discussed?
4. Where will Eleanor and Eveline be staying in New York as they start work?
5. Who does Ward start to date in Pittsburgh?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Eveline and Eleanor's business fails, what job opportunity do they take?
2. What does Eleanor do to conceal her upbringing?
3. What does Ward want in his line of work, and how does he achieve it?
4. How does Mac act in a similar fashion in Mexico City as he did in California?
5. After Ward leaves Annabelle, where does he live, and what is life like there?
6. What does Charley do for work in Minneapolis when he moves there?
7. What new relationships does Mac form in Mexico City?
8. Why does Gertrude threaten Ward with divorce, and what effect can this divorce have upon him?
9. What happens that makes Janey feel that she has made the "big time" at work?
10. After the play fails, how does Eleanor recover?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Eleanor. What is her role in the story? How does she compare with the other four main characters? What struggles must she overcome? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Eleanor's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the 42nd Parallel. Then cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The 42nd Parallel is an example of fictional realism. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)