|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Concha plan on fleeing with the arrival of the rebels in the city?
2. After breaking off her engagement, what does Eveline propose to Eleanor?
3. Where is Janey's new residence that she moves to in September located?
4. Who sends Ward a letter telling him that the real estate industry in Ocean City is booming?
5. What kind of car does Ward purchase in Pittsburgh?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the play fails, how does Eleanor recover?
2. How does Eleanor's employment situation change when Eveline returns from Europe?
3. When Mac arrives in Mexico City, what changes does he experience in his employment?
4. Why is Charley eager to leave Fargo?
5. What effect does Annabelle's decision to terminate her pregnancy have on Ward?
6. How does Mac act in a similar fashion in Mexico City as he did in California?
7. Why does Gertrude threaten Ward with divorce, and what effect can this divorce have upon him?
8. What happens when Charley's girlfriend gets pregnant?
9. What does Eleanor do to conceal her upbringing?
10. Initially, what decision does Johnny make about Annabelle in pages 151-172?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pregnancy is an issue that arises in many of the stories of the 42nd Parallel. How is Maisie's pregnancy different from the pregnancy of Annabelle or Emsecah? How do the male partners in these different situations respond? Do they stick by the women or run? How is marriage thus portrayed as a result? Do you find these views pessimistic? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The intimate relationships of men and women in the 42nd Parallel are complicated. Sex and love are associated often with power. Fidelity is questionable, and marriage is often a choice to accommodate pregnancy. What do you think of the relationships between men and women in the 42nd Parallel? Are they promising? Are they depressing? Are they realistic? Share your thoughts.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Eleanor. What is her role in the story? How does she compare with the other four main characters? What struggles must she overcome? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Eleanor's character in the novel?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)