|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Shoreham, what does a woman tell Janey that they need assistance with in one of the rooms?
2. Who helps Johnny get a job at the New York Herald?
3. When Mac hears that rebels will be arriving in the city, whose government is expected to flee?
4. When Janey is upset by the pro-German atmosphere at her law firm, she quits and goes to work for a new company. What is the new company called?
5. In the brief bio section of the Newsreel in pages 283-304, whose biography is discussed?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Ward leaves Annabelle, where does he live, and what is life like there?
2. What happens when Ward accepts the job from McGill?
3. Why does Janey quit her job and look for new work?
4. What effect does Annabelle's decision to terminate her pregnancy have on Ward?
5. How does Janey change when she lives in New York?
6. What does Ward want to achieve on his own without Annabelle's support?
7. What does Charley decide to do when the pregnancy is terminated?
8. How does Mac act in a similar fashion in Mexico City as he did in California?
9. What happens that makes Janey feel that she has made the "big time" at work?
10. How does Eleanor's employment situation change when Eveline returns from Europe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Mac. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the 42nd Parallel. Then cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The 42nd Parallel was known as the major storm path across North America. The 42nd parallel north is a circle of latitude that is 42 degrees north of the Earth's equatorial plane. It crosses Europe, the Mediterranean Sea, Asia, the Pacific Ocean, North America, and the Atlantic Ocean. The 42nd Parallel of latitude runs right through the heart of the United States. What do you think of John dos Passos' choice of title for the book? Is it appropriate? Explain. How does this title relate to the five characters of Fainy McCreary (Mac), Janey, J. Ward Moorehouse, Eleanor Stoddard, and Charley Anderson?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)