|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Mr. McGill promise to give Ward a job?
2. Where did Charley work as a machinist's assistant?
3. Where is Eleanor Stoddard born and raised?
4. Where does Concha plan on fleeing with the arrival of the rebels in the city?
5. Where does a strike occur that results in violence, press coverage, and investigations?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Janey change when she lives in New York?
2. How does Ward and Gertrude's relationship change after they have children?
3. How did Janey become the personal secretary of J. Ward Moorehouse?
4. Why does Janey quit her job and look for new work?
5. Why does Gertrude threaten Ward with divorce, and what effect can this divorce have upon him?
6. How does Mac act in a similar fashion in Mexico City as he did in California?
7. What does Charley decide to do when the pregnancy is terminated?
8. Initially, what decision does Johnny make about Annabelle in pages 151-172?
9. When Janey first arrives in New York, what is her initial impression?
10. What is Eleanor's relationship with her father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Eleanor. What is her role in the story? How does she compare with the other four main characters? What struggles must she overcome? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Eleanor's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The 42nd Parallel is an example of fictional realism. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it is exhibited in the 42nd Parallel. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)