|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes Janey to dinner and proposes marriage to her?
2. What is the name of the man who occupies the upper berth of the train compartment that Janey is traveling in?
3. After breaking off her engagement, what does Eveline propose to Eleanor?
4. When Ward marries and quits his job, he and his new wife hope for ________________________.
5. Eleanor gets the project of decorating the house of _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Eleanor befriend Miss Eliza Perkins?
2. How does Janey change when she lives in New York?
3. How does Ward and Gertrude's relationship change after they have children?
4. Why does Gertrude threaten Ward with divorce, and what effect can this divorce have upon him?
5. What does Ward want to achieve on his own without Annabelle's support?
6. What is Eleanor's relationship with her father?
7. When Janey first arrives in New York, what is her initial impression?
8. What effect does Annabelle's decision to terminate her pregnancy have on Ward?
9. Why is Charley eager to leave Fargo?
10. How does Eleanor's employment situation change when Eveline returns from Europe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Mac travels to Mexico, he does not go for physical reasons. Instead, he goes to stimulate his mind and to free his spirit. What is the significance of taking a spiritual journey versus just a physical one? How does this affect Mac in particular?
Part 1) What is the difference in the journeys of Mac versus that of Janey?
Part 2) Describe Mac's final experience and how it varies greatly from his first trip. What new friends has he made? What fears has he conquered? What relationships has he formed, and what relationships has he severed? Why?
Part 3) Of the five main characters, who gains the most knowledge and understanding from traveling? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the 42nd Parallel. Then cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain John dos Passos' use of irony in the 42nd Parallel. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)