|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Smith tell Eleanor?
2. Where will Eleanor and Eveline be staying in New York as they start work?
3. What is Johnny disturbed to find out about Annabelle on the day that they sail?
4. Who is assigned to assist with Janey's getting situated in New York at her new job?
5. When Ward sees McGill at a Kiwanis Convention, what position does McGill tell him about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Janey become the personal secretary of J. Ward Moorehouse?
2. What does Ward want in his line of work, and how does he achieve it?
3. What effect does the war have on Ward's relationship with Gertrude and his work?
4. What new relationships does Mac form in Mexico City?
5. How does Ward and Gertrude's relationship change after they have children?
6. Why does Eleanor befriend Miss Eliza Perkins?
7. When Eveline and Eleanor's business fails, what job opportunity do they take?
8. How does Janey change when she lives in New York?
9. What does Mac do when the Zapata arrives in Mexico City?
10. Why is Charley eager to leave Fargo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings for the stories in the 42nd Parallel. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did the author choose to use these places in the stories of the 42nd Parallel?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it is exhibited in the 42nd Parallel. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of discontentment in the 42nd Parallel. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience discontentment. Cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)