|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Janey discourage from moving to New York?
2. When Ward sees McGill at a Kiwanis Convention, what position does McGill tell him about?
3. According to Charley's new fiance, who is the father of her child?
4. Where did Charley work as a machinist's assistant?
5. Who is the friend that contacts Eleanor and Eveline to come and assist him on a play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Charley eager to leave Fargo?
2. What does Ward want in his line of work, and how does he achieve it?
3. What is Eleanor's relationship with her father?
4. What new relationships does Mac form in Mexico City?
5. What happens when Charley's girlfriend gets pregnant?
6. When Eveline and Eleanor's business fails, what job opportunity do they take?
7. How does Eleanor's employment situation change when Eveline returns from Europe?
8. What does Mac do when the Zapata arrives in Mexico City?
9. What does Eleanor do to conceal her upbringing?
10. What does Charley do for work in Minneapolis when he moves there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Mac travels to Mexico, he does not go for physical reasons. Instead, he goes to stimulate his mind and to free his spirit. What is the significance of taking a spiritual journey versus just a physical one? How does this affect Mac in particular?
Part 1) What is the difference in the journeys of Mac versus that of Janey?
Part 2) Describe Mac's final experience and how it varies greatly from his first trip. What new friends has he made? What fears has he conquered? What relationships has he formed, and what relationships has he severed? Why?
Part 3) Of the five main characters, who gains the most knowledge and understanding from traveling? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Eleanor. What is her role in the story? How does she compare with the other four main characters? What struggles must she overcome? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Eleanor's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The 42nd Parallel was known as the major storm path across North America. The 42nd parallel north is a circle of latitude that is 42 degrees north of the Earth's equatorial plane. It crosses Europe, the Mediterranean Sea, Asia, the Pacific Ocean, North America, and the Atlantic Ocean. The 42nd Parallel of latitude runs right through the heart of the United States. What do you think of John dos Passos' choice of title for the book? Is it appropriate? Explain. How does this title relate to the five characters of Fainy McCreary (Mac), Janey, J. Ward Moorehouse, Eleanor Stoddard, and Charley Anderson?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)