|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Eleanor's French teacher dies, who replaces her?
2. How much rent will Janey have to pay as a boarder?
3. Whom does Janey discourage from moving to New York?
4. What does Charley do with the pills?
5. Who gives Eleanor money to start her own business in New York?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Charley's girlfriend gets pregnant?
2. Why is Charley eager to leave Fargo?
3. Why does Janey quit her job and look for new work?
4. When Janey first arrives in New York, what is her initial impression?
5. After Ward leaves Annabelle, where does he live, and what is life like there?
6. How does Ward and Gertrude's relationship change after they have children?
7. How did Janey become the personal secretary of J. Ward Moorehouse?
8. Initially, what decision does Johnny make about Annabelle in pages 151-172?
9. What does Mac do when the Zapata arrives in Mexico City?
10. What new relationships does Mac form in Mexico City?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The 42nd Parallel was known as the major storm path across North America. The 42nd parallel north is a circle of latitude that is 42 degrees north of the Earth's equatorial plane. It crosses Europe, the Mediterranean Sea, Asia, the Pacific Ocean, North America, and the Atlantic Ocean. The 42nd Parallel of latitude runs right through the heart of the United States. What do you think of John dos Passos' choice of title for the book? Is it appropriate? Explain. How does this title relate to the five characters of Fainy McCreary (Mac), Janey, J. Ward Moorehouse, Eleanor Stoddard, and Charley Anderson?
Essay Topic 2
Every main character in the 42nd Parallel (Janey, Mac, Ward, Eleanor, and Charley) wants to find a purpose in life and seeks meaning through self-expression. Which characters find purpose and direction to their lives and in what ways? Which characters do not achieve this? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The 42nd Parallel is an example of fictional realism. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)