Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who offers Charley pills to terminate a pregnancy?
2. Where will Eleanor and Eveline be staying in New York as they start work?
3. Whom did Charley and Ed Walter date from the amusement park?
4. What does Johnny want to study so he can get a job overseas?
5. After finishing eighth grade, where does Charley go to work with his brother for the summer?
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the 42nd Parallel. Then cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Politics play a significant role throughout the entire book. In the 42nd Parallel, John dos Passos asks and sometimes offers occasional answers to big philosophical questions about the role and rights of workers in society, the equality of men and women, and important figures of the early 20th century. Do you find John dos Passos' arguments convincing? Why or why not? Do any of his characters show strong political opinions and, if so, about what? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
The 42nd Parallel is an example of fictional realism. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)