|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mac do when he arrives in San Francisco?
2. In the Camera Eye section, who became active in the labor union and the Socialist Party?
3. Where does the train bound for San Francisco take Ike and Fainy?
4. With whom does Johnny meet at the Ocean City Improvement and Realty Company?
5. What is Mac's real name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the only question that Fainy asks about his job?
2. What could Maisie have done to keep Mac in Los Angeles with her?
3. What happens when Mac reaches the rancher's house?
4. Why do the rancher and his wife not approve of Mac?
5. What does Johnny do for work, and why does he move to Ocean City?
6. What happens when Fainy and Bingham ride the train to Michigan?
7. Who is Annabelle Marie Strang, and why is she important to Johnny?
8. Where does Mac live with Maisie and what is their relationship?
9. Describe Johnny Ward Morehouse.
10. Why does Johnny have to leave college?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the 42nd Parallel. Then cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The 42nd Parallel is an example of fictional realism. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
John dos Passos is known for paying homage to various authors and works of literature. Choose at least four references used in the book. Write at least 250 words on each reference. Also add your opinion as to why dos Passos chose that particular author or reference.
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)