|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Fainy take the boxes?
2. What does Fainy discover about his new employer right away when he enters the tailor shop?
3. Where does J. Ward Moorehouse grow up?
4. Why did Johnny have to give up on his college in his second year?
5. What does Mac do when he arrives in San Francisco?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Janey work in Washington DC? What knowledge does she acquire?
2. Who is Alice, and what effect does she have on Janey?
3. What do you learn about Mac's personality through his choices in pages. 62-84?
4. What does Johnny do for work, and why does he move to Ocean City?
5. What does Ike do that leaves Mac stranded?
6. What do Fred Hoff and Mac share in common?
7. What kind of personality does Janey have?
8. Who is Annabelle Marie Strang, and why is she important to Johnny?
9. What happens at the theater? What does Mac do?
10. How does Mac learn independence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Every main character in the 42nd Parallel (Janey, Mac, Ward, Eleanor, and Charley) wants to find a purpose in life and seeks meaning through self-expression. Which characters find purpose and direction to their lives and in what ways? Which characters do not achieve this? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of discontentment in the 42nd Parallel. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience discontentment. Cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
John dos Passos is known for paying homage to various authors and works of literature. Choose at least four references used in the book. Write at least 250 words on each reference. Also add your opinion as to why dos Passos chose that particular author or reference.
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)