Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Annabelle and Johnny begin to take _________________together.
2. When Mac stays at a Y.M.C.A., where does he lock his money?
3. With whom does Johnny meet at the Ocean City Improvement and Realty Company?
4. Who walks along a cobblestone path in the Camera Eye segment?
5. Why did Johnny have to give up on his college in his second year?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Charley eager to leave Fargo?
2. After meeting Ben Evans, what does Mac decide?
3. What happens when Mac reaches the rancher's house?
4. Who is Annabelle Marie Strang, and why is she important to Johnny?
5. What does Ike do that leaves Mac stranded?
6. Describe Johnny Ward Morehouse.
7. How did Janey become the personal secretary of J. Ward Moorehouse?
8. Describe Mac's life as a child.
9. How does Mac act in a similar fashion in Mexico City as he did in California?
10. What kind of personality does Janey have?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Eleanor. What is her role in the story? How does she compare with the other four main characters? What struggles must she overcome? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Eleanor's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The intimate relationships of men and women in the 42nd Parallel are complicated. Sex and love are associated often with power. Fidelity is questionable, and marriage is often a choice to accommodate pregnancy. What do you think of the relationships between men and women in the 42nd Parallel? Are they promising? Are they depressing? Are they realistic? Share your thoughts.
Essay Topic 3
Janey and Ward are two of the main characters of the 42nd Parallel.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they coexist, and how do they interact? What is similar about them, and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Ward directly influenced? What are some events that Janey directly influenced?
Part 3) Which character offers support to other characters? Which one is stronger and why?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)