|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Annabelle and Johnny begin to take _________________together.
2. When Mac stays at a Y.M.C.A., where does he lock his money?
3. With whom does Johnny meet at the Ocean City Improvement and Realty Company?
4. Who walks along a cobblestone path in the Camera Eye segment?
5. Why did Johnny have to give up on his college in his second year?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Charley eager to leave Fargo?
2. After meeting Ben Evans, what does Mac decide?
3. What happens when Mac reaches the rancher's house?
4. Who is Annabelle Marie Strang, and why is she important to Johnny?
5. What does Ike do that leaves Mac stranded?
6. Describe Johnny Ward Morehouse.
7. How did Janey become the personal secretary of J. Ward Moorehouse?
8. Describe Mac's life as a child.
9. How does Mac act in a similar fashion in Mexico City as he did in California?
10. What kind of personality does Janey have?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in the early part of the twentieth century when the women in the 42nd Parallel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms do they have, if any, that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the 42nd Parallel. Then cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of discontentment in the 42nd Parallel. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience discontentment. Cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 1,820 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)