Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Annabelle and Johnny begin to take _________________together.
2. When Mac stays at a Y.M.C.A., where does he lock his money?
3. With whom does Johnny meet at the Ocean City Improvement and Realty Company?
4. Who walks along a cobblestone path in the Camera Eye segment?
5. Why did Johnny have to give up on his college in his second year?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Charley eager to leave Fargo?
2. After meeting Ben Evans, what does Mac decide?
3. What happens when Mac reaches the rancher's house?
4. Who is Annabelle Marie Strang, and why is she important to Johnny?
5. What does Ike do that leaves Mac stranded?
6. Describe Johnny Ward Morehouse.
7. How did Janey become the personal secretary of J. Ward Moorehouse?
8. Describe Mac's life as a child.
9. How does Mac act in a similar fashion in Mexico City as he did in California?
10. What kind of personality does Janey have?
Essay Topic 1
Pregnancy is an issue that arises in many of the stories of the 42nd Parallel. How is Maisie's pregnancy different from the pregnancy of Annabelle or Emsecah? How do the male partners in these different situations respond? Do they stick by the women or run? How is marriage thus portrayed as a result? Do you find these views pessimistic? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Every main character in the 42nd Parallel (Janey, Mac, Ward, Eleanor, and Charley) wants to find a purpose in life and seeks meaning through self-expression. Which characters find purpose and direction to their lives and in what ways? Which characters do not achieve this? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain John dos Passos' use of irony in the 42nd Parallel. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)