|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Janey and her friend get jobs as typists at ____________.
2. What does Maisie's brother offer Maisie and Mac in Los Angeles?
3. In what section of Washington, D.C. did Janey grow up?
4. What does Ike teach Fainy to do?
5. Where does Mac find work finally in Los Angeles?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ike teach Mac?
2. What happens on the train ride to Chicago that Mac takes?
3. What occurs at Mrs. Kovach's house when Fainy and Bingham spend the night?
4. What is the only question that Fainy asks about his job?
5. When Fainy accepts a job with Doc Bingham, what does he learn about his new place of employment right away?
6. What does Fred Hoff offer Mac?
7. Why does Johnny have to leave college?
8. What decision does Mac make regarding Maisie and her pregnancy?
9. What does Ike do that leaves Mac stranded?
10. What happens at the theater? What does Mac do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in the early part of the twentieth century when the women in the 42nd Parallel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms do they have, if any, that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of discontentment in the 42nd Parallel. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience discontentment. Cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Mac. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)