|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mac moves to San Diego, what kind of work does he do?
2. Who does Mac meet in Mexico that talks to him about the revolution there?
3. What does Johnny do in his new job?
4. Where does Mac find work finally in Los Angeles?
5. According to a News Reel, what did Luther Burbank develop?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Charley do for work in Minneapolis when he moves there?
2. How does Mac learn independence?
3. What happens when Charley's girlfriend gets pregnant?
4. What kind of personality does Janey have?
5. What happens when Mac reaches the rancher's house?
6. After meeting Ben Evans, what does Mac decide?
7. What do you learn about Mac's personality through his choices in pages. 62-84?
8. Where does Janey work in Washington DC? What knowledge does she acquire?
9. How does Janey change when she lives in New York?
10. Who is Annabelle Marie Strang, and why is she important to Johnny?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of discontentment in the 42nd Parallel. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience discontentment. Cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
The 42nd Parallel was known as the major storm path across North America. The 42nd parallel north is a circle of latitude that is 42 degrees north of the Earth's equatorial plane. It crosses Europe, the Mediterranean Sea, Asia, the Pacific Ocean, North America, and the Atlantic Ocean. The 42nd Parallel of latitude runs right through the heart of the United States. What do you think of John dos Passos' choice of title for the book? Is it appropriate? Explain. How does this title relate to the five characters of Fainy McCreary (Mac), Janey, J. Ward Moorehouse, Eleanor Stoddard, and Charley Anderson?
Essay Topic 3
Every main character in the 42nd Parallel (Janey, Mac, Ward, Eleanor, and Charley) wants to find a purpose in life and seeks meaning through self-expression. Which characters find purpose and direction to their lives and in what ways? Which characters do not achieve this? Explain.
This section contains 1,940 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)