|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Mac meet and become attracted to in San Francisco?
2. What meeting place of revolutionaries does Mac visit in Mexico?
3. According to a News Reel, what did Luther Burbank develop?
4. Where does Janey's father go for treatment for cancer?
5. What is Fainy supposed to say if anyone asks where he is taking the boxes?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Fainy accepts a job with Doc Bingham, what does he learn about his new place of employment right away?
2. What does Ward want in his line of work, and how does he achieve it?
3. What happens on the train ride to Chicago that Mac takes?
4. What could Maisie have done to keep Mac in Los Angeles with her?
5. Does Charley show initiative in his career plan after leaving Minneapolis? If so, in what way? Describe.
6. Describe Janey.
7. Who is Annabelle Marie Strang, and why is she important to Johnny?
8. When Janey first arrives in New York, what is her initial impression?
9. What is the only question that Fainy asks about his job?
10. After the play fails, how does Eleanor recover?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Eleanor. What is her role in the story? How does she compare with the other four main characters? What struggles must she overcome? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Eleanor's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Explain John dos Passos' use of irony in the 42nd Parallel. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
Janey and Ward are two of the main characters of the 42nd Parallel.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they coexist, and how do they interact? What is similar about them, and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Ward directly influenced? What are some events that Janey directly influenced?
Part 3) Which character offers support to other characters? Which one is stronger and why?
This section contains 1,887 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)