|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Annabelle and Johnny begin to take _________________together.
2. When Mac stays at a Y.M.C.A., where does he lock his money?
3. With whom does Johnny meet at the Ocean City Improvement and Realty Company?
4. Who walks along a cobblestone path in the Camera Eye segment?
5. Why did Johnny have to give up on his college in his second year?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Charley eager to leave Fargo?
2. After meeting Ben Evans, what does Mac decide?
3. What happens when Mac reaches the rancher's house?
4. Who is Annabelle Marie Strang, and why is she important to Johnny?
5. What does Ike do that leaves Mac stranded?
6. Describe Johnny Ward Morehouse.
7. How did Janey become the personal secretary of J. Ward Moorehouse?
8. Describe Mac's life as a child.
9. How does Mac act in a similar fashion in Mexico City as he did in California?
10. What kind of personality does Janey have?
Essay Topic 1
John dos Passos is known for paying homage to various authors and works of literature. Choose at least four references used in the book. Write at least 250 words on each reference. Also add your opinion as to why dos Passos chose that particular author or reference.
Essay Topic 2
Explain John dos Passos' use of irony in the 42nd Parallel. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
The intimate relationships of men and women in the 42nd Parallel are complicated. Sex and love are associated often with power. Fidelity is questionable, and marriage is often a choice to accommodate pregnancy. What do you think of the relationships between men and women in the 42nd Parallel? Are they promising? Are they depressing? Are they realistic? Share your thoughts.
This section contains 1,820 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)