|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the lawyer that stays in touch with Janey even after he leaves the firm?
2. When Mac is a child, what is he afraid of?
3. Whom does Mac meet and become attracted to in San Francisco?
4. Who is the Commanding General?
5. What does Maisie's brother offer Maisie and Mac in Los Angeles?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens on the train ride to Chicago that Mac takes?
2. What could Maisie have done to keep Mac in Los Angeles with her?
3. What is the only question that Fainy asks about his job?
4. What happens when Fainy and Bingham ride the train to Michigan?
5. Who is Alice, and what effect does she have on Janey?
6. What happens when Mac reaches the rancher's house?
7. Where does Mac live with Maisie and what is their relationship?
8. When Fainy accepts a job with Doc Bingham, what does he learn about his new place of employment right away?
9. What does Fred Hoff offer Mac?
10. Why does Johnny have to leave college?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Mac. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in the early part of the twentieth century when the women in the 42nd Parallel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms do they have, if any, that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 3
Janey and Ward are two of the main characters of the 42nd Parallel.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they coexist, and how do they interact? What is similar about them, and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Ward directly influenced? What are some events that Janey directly influenced?
Part 3) Which character offers support to other characters? Which one is stronger and why?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)