|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Fainy and Bingham travel in Michigan?
2. What meeting place of revolutionaries does Mac visit in Mexico?
3. In News Reel II, what is the event discussed concerning George Smith and his brother?
4. What is Mac's real name?
5. Who does Mac meet in Mexico that talks to him about the revolution there?
Short Essay Questions
1. What occurs at Mrs. Kovach's house when Fainy and Bingham spend the night?
2. Where does Janey work in Washington DC? What knowledge does she acquire?
3. What happens when Fainy and Bingham ride the train to Michigan?
4. Describe Johnny Ward Morehouse.
5. What is the only question that Fainy asks about his job?
6. What kind of personality does Janey have?
7. Why do the rancher and his wife not approve of Mac?
8. What effect did Uncle Tim have on Mac?
9. Who is Alice, and what effect does she have on Janey?
10. How does Mac learn independence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Mac. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the 42nd Parallel. Then cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in the early part of the twentieth century when the women in the 42nd Parallel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms do they have, if any, that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)