|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Johnny do in his new job?
2. What does Johnny's new job offer him as pay?
3. Instead of having tea in Kew Gardens, what does Mr. Garnet want to do?
4. What does Fainy discover when he is waiting for Mannie Bingham?
5. Ike and Fainy meet ______________on the boat to Seattle.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Annabelle Marie Strang, and why is she important to Johnny?
2. Describe Mac's life as a child.
3. What occurs at Mrs. Kovach's house when Fainy and Bingham spend the night?
4. Why does Johnny have to leave college?
5. Describe Johnny Ward Morehouse.
6. What do you learn about Mac's personality through his choices in pages. 62-84?
7. What happens when Fainy and Bingham ride the train to Michigan?
8. Who is Alice, and what effect does she have on Janey?
9. What happens at the theater? What does Mac do?
10. What effect did Uncle Tim have on Mac?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Every main character in the 42nd Parallel (Janey, Mac, Ward, Eleanor, and Charley) wants to find a purpose in life and seeks meaning through self-expression. Which characters find purpose and direction to their lives and in what ways? Which characters do not achieve this? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe some of the settings for the stories in the 42nd Parallel. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did the author choose to use these places in the stories of the 42nd Parallel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Eleanor. What is her role in the story? How does she compare with the other four main characters? What struggles must she overcome? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Eleanor's character in the novel?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)