|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maisie tell Mac in her letter to him?
2. Who is the Commanding General?
3. According to the ad, what is the salary for the job for which Fainy interviews?
4. Janey plans on moving after high school with her friend ______________.
5. Where was Moorehouse a top salesman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does the war have on Ward's relationship with Gertrude and his work?
2. What do Fred Hoff and Mac share in common?
3. What does Mac do when the Zapata arrives in Mexico City?
4. What effect does meeting Doc have on Charley?
5. When Charley leaves Minneapolis, what is his plan?
6. What does Charley decide to do when the pregnancy is terminated?
7. Why does Johnny have to leave college?
8. After the play fails, how does Eleanor recover?
9. What does Ike teach Mac?
10. How does Mac learn independence?
Essay Topic 1
When Mac travels to Mexico, he does not go for physical reasons. Instead, he goes to stimulate his mind and to free his spirit. What is the significance of taking a spiritual journey versus just a physical one? How does this affect Mac in particular?
Part 1) What is the difference in the journeys of Mac versus that of Janey?
Part 2) Describe Mac's final experience and how it varies greatly from his first trip. What new friends has he made? What fears has he conquered? What relationships has he formed, and what relationships has he severed? Why?
Part 3) Of the five main characters, who gains the most knowledge and understanding from traveling? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of discontentment in the 42nd Parallel. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience discontentment. Cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Mac. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
This section contains 1,841 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)