|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Camera Eye, who tries to catch a train?
2. In News Reel II, what is the event discussed concerning George Smith and his brother?
3. What is Fainy supposed to say if anyone asks where he is taking the boxes?
4. What does the son of the woman who owns a farmhouse sneak into the barn to buy?
5. After going to the theater one night, whom does Mac meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Alice, and what effect does she have on Janey?
2. What happens when Mac reaches the rancher's house?
3. What decision does Mac make regarding Maisie and her pregnancy?
4. What effect did Uncle Tim have on Mac?
5. What do Fred Hoff and Mac share in common?
6. Describe Johnny Ward Morehouse.
7. Describe Mac's life as a child.
8. What does Johnny do for work, and why does he move to Ocean City?
9. What happens at the theater? What does Mac do?
10. Who is Annabelle Marie Strang, and why is she important to Johnny?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in the early part of the twentieth century when the women in the 42nd Parallel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms do they have, if any, that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
The 42nd Parallel is an example of fictional realism. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Mac. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)