|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For which patent attorneys does Janey go to work?
2. At whose print shop in San Francisco does Mac get a job?
3. Where was Moorehouse a top salesman?
4. At Thanksgiving, where is Mac?
5. When Mac is a child, what is he afraid of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Johnny have to leave college?
2. What happens at the theater? What does Mac do?
3. Where does Janey work in Washington DC? What knowledge does she acquire?
4. What occurs at Mrs. Kovach's house when Fainy and Bingham spend the night?
5. What does Johnny do for work, and why does he move to Ocean City?
6. What decision does Mac make regarding Maisie and her pregnancy?
7. When Fainy accepts a job with Doc Bingham, what does he learn about his new place of employment right away?
8. Describe Johnny Ward Morehouse.
9. How does Mac learn independence?
10. Who is Annabelle Marie Strang, and why is she important to Johnny?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain John dos Passos' use of irony in the 42nd Parallel. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Mac. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in the early part of the twentieth century when the women in the 42nd Parallel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms do they have, if any, that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)