|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mac meet in Mexico that talks to him about the revolution there?
2. In the news clip about Harrison's speech, what does the toast celebrate?
3. What does Fainy discover about his new employer right away when he enters the tailor shop?
4. With whom does Johnny meet at the Ocean City Improvement and Realty Company?
5. What does Mac do when he arrives in San Francisco?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Fainy accepts a job with Doc Bingham, what does he learn about his new place of employment right away?
2. Why does Johnny have to leave college?
3. How does Mac learn independence?
4. What happens when Mac reaches the rancher's house?
5. What do Fred Hoff and Mac share in common?
6. What happens at the theater? What does Mac do?
7. What does Fred Hoff offer Mac?
8. What happens on the train ride to Chicago that Mac takes?
9. After meeting Ben Evans, what does Mac decide?
10. Who is Annabelle Marie Strang, and why is she important to Johnny?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings for the stories in the 42nd Parallel. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did the author choose to use these places in the stories of the 42nd Parallel?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of discontentment in the 42nd Parallel. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience discontentment. Cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
The 42nd Parallel is an example of fictional realism. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)