|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mac meet in Mexico that talks to him about the revolution there?
2. At whose print shop in San Francisco does Mac get a job?
3. When Mac is a child, what is he afraid of?
4. What individual is mentioned in pages 85-103 of the News Reel for being shot for his revolutionary activities?
5. Who is the Commanding General?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Alice, and what effect does she have on Janey?
2. What kind of personality does Janey have?
3. What happens at the theater? What does Mac do?
4. What does Johnny do for work, and why does he move to Ocean City?
5. What do Fred Hoff and Mac share in common?
6. What does Ike do that leaves Mac stranded?
7. How does Mac learn independence?
8. What does Ike teach Mac?
9. What do you learn about Mac's personality through his choices in pages. 62-84?
10. Describe Mac's life as a child.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it is exhibited in the 42nd Parallel. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
John dos Passos is known for paying homage to various authors and works of literature. Choose at least four references used in the book. Write at least 250 words on each reference. Also add your opinion as to why dos Passos chose that particular author or reference.
Essay Topic 3
Politics play a significant role throughout the entire book. In the 42nd Parallel, John dos Passos asks and sometimes offers occasional answers to big philosophical questions about the role and rights of workers in society, the equality of men and women, and important figures of the early 20th century. Do you find John dos Passos' arguments convincing? Why or why not? Do any of his characters show strong political opinions and, if so, about what? Describe.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)