|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At whose house does Fainy stay when he sees Bingham being chased with a shotgun?
2. What does Johnny's new job offer him as pay?
3. After Joe's friend dies in a motorcycle accident, what does Joe plan to do?
4. Who walks along a cobblestone path in the Camera Eye segment?
5. What meeting place of revolutionaries does Mac visit in Mexico?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Alice, and what effect does she have on Janey?
2. What could Maisie have done to keep Mac in Los Angeles with her?
3. What does Ike teach Mac?
4. What happens at the theater? What does Mac do?
5. After meeting Ben Evans, what does Mac decide?
6. Where does Janey work in Washington DC? What knowledge does she acquire?
7. What happens when Mac reaches the rancher's house?
8. Who is Annabelle Marie Strang, and why is she important to Johnny?
9. How does Mac learn independence?
10. Where does Mac live with Maisie and what is their relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Mac. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
John Dos Passos offers a compelling narrative told in an unorthodox and experimental fashion using "Newsreels" with blaring headlines, autobiographical "Camera Eye" sections with poetic stream-of-consciousness, and "biographies" evoking emblematic historical figures like J.P. Morgan, Henry Ford, John Reed, Frank Lloyd Wright, Thorstein Veblen, and the Unknown Soldier. Do you find this style interesting to read? Are you able to follow the story line easily, or are these changes erratic and confusing for you as a reader? Does John dos Passos offer powerful storytelling that holds your attention? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Pregnancy is an issue that arises in many of the stories of the 42nd Parallel. How is Maisie's pregnancy different from the pregnancy of Annabelle or Emsecah? How do the male partners in these different situations respond? Do they stick by the women or run? How is marriage thus portrayed as a result? Do you find these views pessimistic? Explain.
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)