Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Annabelle and Johnny begin to take _________________together.
2. When Mac stays at a Y.M.C.A., where does he lock his money?
3. With whom does Johnny meet at the Ocean City Improvement and Realty Company?
4. Who walks along a cobblestone path in the Camera Eye segment?
5. Why did Johnny have to give up on his college in his second year?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Charley eager to leave Fargo?
2. After meeting Ben Evans, what does Mac decide?
3. What happens when Mac reaches the rancher's house?
4. Who is Annabelle Marie Strang, and why is she important to Johnny?
5. What does Ike do that leaves Mac stranded?
6. Describe Johnny Ward Morehouse.
7. How did Janey become the personal secretary of J. Ward Moorehouse?
8. Describe Mac's life as a child.
9. How does Mac act in a similar fashion in Mexico City as he did in California?
10. What kind of personality does Janey have?
The working class American is an important figure of John Dos Passos' work. In the 42nd Parallel, Dos Passos tracks the gritty lives of the working and middle class Americans with whom he identifies. Before the New Deal, what was the biggest struggle for working class Americans? Does John dos Passos offer realistic and insightful characterizations and descriptions of early 20th century life in the United States? Explain your thoughts.
Janey and Ward are two of the main characters of the 42nd Parallel.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they coexist, and how do they interact? What is similar about them, and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Ward directly influenced? What are some events that Janey directly influenced?
Part 3) Which character offers support to other characters? Which one is stronger and why?
Pregnancy is an issue that arises in many of the stories of the 42nd Parallel. How is Maisie's pregnancy different from the pregnancy of Annabelle or Emsecah? How do the male partners in these different situations respond? Do they stick by the women or run? How is marriage thus portrayed as a result? Do you find these views pessimistic? Explain.
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)