|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Annabelle and Johnny begin to take _________________together.
2. What is Fainy supposed to say if anyone asks where he is taking the boxes?
3. Who does Mac meet in Mexico that talks to him about the revolution there?
4. Who interviews Fainy?
5. What is the safest place to play for Mac when he is a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Johnny Ward Morehouse.
2. What effect did Uncle Tim have on Mac?
3. What does Johnny do for work, and why does he move to Ocean City?
4. What could Maisie have done to keep Mac in Los Angeles with her?
5. Why does Johnny have to leave college?
6. How does Ward and Gertrude's relationship change after they have children?
7. Why does Gertrude threaten Ward with divorce, and what effect can this divorce have upon him?
8. What new relationships does Mac form in Mexico City?
9. What is the only question that Fainy asks about his job?
10. What does Charley decide to do when the pregnancy is terminated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The working class American is an important figure of John Dos Passos' work. In the 42nd Parallel, Dos Passos tracks the gritty lives of the working and middle class Americans with whom he identifies. Before the New Deal, what was the biggest struggle for working class Americans? Does John dos Passos offer realistic and insightful characterizations and descriptions of early 20th century life in the United States? Explain your thoughts.
Essay Topic 2
The 42nd Parallel is an example of fictional realism. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The intimate relationships of men and women in the 42nd Parallel are complicated. Sex and love are associated often with power. Fidelity is questionable, and marriage is often a choice to accommodate pregnancy. What do you think of the relationships between men and women in the 42nd Parallel? Are they promising? Are they depressing? Are they realistic? Share your thoughts.
This section contains 1,922 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)