|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Moorehouse a top salesman?
2. Where does Janey like to go with her brother and his friends canoeing?
3. What is the name of the place in Nevada that Mac visits and meets union workers?
4. Why did Johnny have to give up on his college in his second year?
5. In the Camera Eye section, who became active in the labor union and the Socialist Party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What decision does Mac make regarding Maisie and her pregnancy?
2. What happens when Mac reaches the rancher's house?
3. Why does Johnny have to leave college?
4. When Fainy accepts a job with Doc Bingham, what does he learn about his new place of employment right away?
5. Who is Alice, and what effect does she have on Janey?
6. Describe Mac's life as a child.
7. What kind of personality does Janey have?
8. Where does Mac live with Maisie and what is their relationship?
9. What happens on the train ride to Chicago that Mac takes?
10. What effect did Uncle Tim have on Mac?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Mac travels to Mexico, he does not go for physical reasons. Instead, he goes to stimulate his mind and to free his spirit. What is the significance of taking a spiritual journey versus just a physical one? How does this affect Mac in particular?
Part 1) What is the difference in the journeys of Mac versus that of Janey?
Part 2) Describe Mac's final experience and how it varies greatly from his first trip. What new friends has he made? What fears has he conquered? What relationships has he formed, and what relationships has he severed? Why?
Part 3) Of the five main characters, who gains the most knowledge and understanding from traveling? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The 42nd Parallel is an example of fictional realism. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
John dos Passos is known for paying homage to various authors and works of literature. Choose at least four references used in the book. Write at least 250 words on each reference. Also add your opinion as to why dos Passos chose that particular author or reference.
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)