|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Johnny meet at the Ocean City Improvement and Realty Company?
2. Ike and Fainy meet ______________on the boat to Seattle.
3. What is the natural disaster that occurs in San Francisco while Mac is there?
4. Where does Janey's father go for treatment for cancer?
5. What does Ike teach Fainy to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Johnny Ward Morehouse.
2. Where does Janey work in Washington DC? What knowledge does she acquire?
3. What does Ike teach Mac?
4. Why does Johnny have to leave college?
5. What is the only question that Fainy asks about his job?
6. After meeting Ben Evans, what does Mac decide?
7. What decision does Mac make regarding Maisie and her pregnancy?
8. What effect did Uncle Tim have on Mac?
9. What occurs at Mrs. Kovach's house when Fainy and Bingham spend the night?
10. Describe Janey.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of discontentment in the 42nd Parallel. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience discontentment. Cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Politics play a significant role throughout the entire book. In the 42nd Parallel, John dos Passos asks and sometimes offers occasional answers to big philosophical questions about the role and rights of workers in society, the equality of men and women, and important figures of the early 20th century. Do you find John dos Passos' arguments convincing? Why or why not? Do any of his characters show strong political opinions and, if so, about what? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the settings for the stories in the 42nd Parallel. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did the author choose to use these places in the stories of the 42nd Parallel?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)