|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fainy discover when he is waiting for Mannie Bingham?
2. Where do Ike and Fainy want to go with the money they earn?
3. What is the name of the place in Nevada that Mac visits and meets union workers?
4. What does Mac feel sad about leaving behind when they leave for Chicago?
5. In the Camera Eye section of the News Reel, what is Mr. Garfied reading from while traveling on a frigate to foreign lands?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Janey.
2. Why do the rancher and his wife not approve of Mac?
3. What happens when Mac reaches the rancher's house?
4. What does Ike teach Mac?
5. What does Johnny do for work, and why does he move to Ocean City?
6. Who is Alice, and what effect does she have on Janey?
7. After meeting Ben Evans, what does Mac decide?
8. What decision does Mac make regarding Maisie and her pregnancy?
9. What happens on the train ride to Chicago that Mac takes?
10. What occurs at Mrs. Kovach's house when Fainy and Bingham spend the night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Janey and Ward are two of the main characters of the 42nd Parallel.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they coexist, and how do they interact? What is similar about them, and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Ward directly influenced? What are some events that Janey directly influenced?
Part 3) Which character offers support to other characters? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the 42nd Parallel. Then cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The working class American is an important figure of John Dos Passos' work. In the 42nd Parallel, Dos Passos tracks the gritty lives of the working and middle class Americans with whom he identifies. Before the New Deal, what was the biggest struggle for working class Americans? Does John dos Passos offer realistic and insightful characterizations and descriptions of early 20th century life in the United States? Explain your thoughts.
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)