|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the natural disaster that occurs in San Francisco while Mac is there?
2. Who is Joe's friend that Janey has a crush on as a young girl?
3. In News Reel II, what is the event discussed concerning George Smith and his brother?
4. What does Johnny do in his new job?
5. According to a News Reel, what did Luther Burbank develop?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Eveline and Eleanor's business fails, what job opportunity do they take?
2. What does Ike do that leaves Mac stranded?
3. When Janey first arrives in New York, what is her initial impression?
4. After the play fails, how does Eleanor recover?
5. Where does Mac live with Maisie and what is their relationship?
6. What do Fred Hoff and Mac share in common?
7. What effect does Annabelle's decision to terminate her pregnancy have on Ward?
8. Does Charley show initiative in his career plan after leaving Minneapolis? If so, in what way? Describe.
9. Why does Gertrude threaten Ward with divorce, and what effect can this divorce have upon him?
10. What happens at the theater? What does Mac do?
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Mac. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Pregnancy is an issue that arises in many of the stories of the 42nd Parallel. How is Maisie's pregnancy different from the pregnancy of Annabelle or Emsecah? How do the male partners in these different situations respond? Do they stick by the women or run? How is marriage thus portrayed as a result? Do you find these views pessimistic? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in the early part of the twentieth century when the women in the 42nd Parallel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms do they have, if any, that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 1,897 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)