|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At Thanksgiving, where is Mac?
2. While Johnny works at a real estate office, what does he really want to do?
3. In the Camera Eye, who tries to catch a train?
4. Where does J. Ward Moorehouse grow up?
5. What is the name of Hoff's organization that Mac joins?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the rancher and his wife not approve of Mac?
2. What happens when Fainy and Bingham ride the train to Michigan?
3. How does Mac learn independence?
4. What happens when Mac reaches the rancher's house?
5. Who is Alice, and what effect does she have on Janey?
6. What is the only question that Fainy asks about his job?
7. What does Ike teach Mac?
8. What does Johnny do for work, and why does he move to Ocean City?
9. What does Ike do that leaves Mac stranded?
10. What do you learn about Mac's personality through his choices in pages. 62-84?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pregnancy is an issue that arises in many of the stories of the 42nd Parallel. How is Maisie's pregnancy different from the pregnancy of Annabelle or Emsecah? How do the male partners in these different situations respond? Do they stick by the women or run? How is marriage thus portrayed as a result? Do you find these views pessimistic? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Politics play a significant role throughout the entire book. In the 42nd Parallel, John dos Passos asks and sometimes offers occasional answers to big philosophical questions about the role and rights of workers in society, the equality of men and women, and important figures of the early 20th century. Do you find John dos Passos' arguments convincing? Why or why not? Do any of his characters show strong political opinions and, if so, about what? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it is exhibited in the 42nd Parallel. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)