|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Joe's friend that Janey has a crush on as a young girl?
2. In the Camera Eye, who tries to catch a train?
3. Why did Johnny have to give up on his college in his second year?
4. How do Fainy and Bingham travel in Michigan?
5. What is the name of the place in Nevada that Mac visits and meets union workers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Fred Hoff and Mac share in common?
2. What occurs at Mrs. Kovach's house when Fainy and Bingham spend the night?
3. What does Ike teach Mac?
4. What happens on the train ride to Chicago that Mac takes?
5. What happens at the theater? What does Mac do?
6. Describe Mac's life as a child.
7. What does Ike do that leaves Mac stranded?
8. What is the only question that Fainy asks about his job?
9. How does Mac learn independence?
10. Describe Janey.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings for the stories in the 42nd Parallel. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did the author choose to use these places in the stories of the 42nd Parallel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Eleanor. What is her role in the story? How does she compare with the other four main characters? What struggles must she overcome? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Eleanor's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The intimate relationships of men and women in the 42nd Parallel are complicated. Sex and love are associated often with power. Fidelity is questionable, and marriage is often a choice to accommodate pregnancy. What do you think of the relationships between men and women in the 42nd Parallel? Are they promising? Are they depressing? Are they realistic? Share your thoughts.
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)