|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the story that circulates about Eleanor when she starts her first job?
(a) She is destitute.
(b) She is a society girl.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She sleeps around.
2. After finishing eighth grade, where does Charley go to work with his brother for the summer?
(d) Twin Cities.
3. After breaking off her engagement, what does Eveline propose to Eleanor?
(a) To move in together.
(b) To start an interior decorating business together.
(c) To buy a sewing machine and become a tailor.
(d) To tear down the old lady's house and sell the land.
4. Who cuts a trip short in Europe because of the threat of war?
(a) Janey and Will.
(b) Ward and Gertrude.
(c) Susie and Eric.
(d) Max and Ernest.
5. What does Mac become a part owner of?
(a) A bookstore.
(b) A coffee shop.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) A newspaper.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose garage did Charley work in for the summer?
2. Whom did Charley and Ed Walter date from the amusement park?
3. Who quarrels with Ward in his ofﬁce, threatening divorce?
4. Who is in charge of the production of the play?
5. For whom does Mac throw a party when his business partner is very successful?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Charley's girlfriend gets pregnant?
2. Initially, what decision does Johnny make about Annabelle in pages 151-172?
3. What does Ward want in his line of work, and how does he achieve it?
4. Why does Gertrude threaten Ward with divorce, and what effect can this divorce have upon him?
5. Why does Janey quit her job and look for new work?
6. How did Janey become the personal secretary of J. Ward Moorehouse?
7. What happens when Ward accepts the job from McGill?
8. After Ward leaves Annabelle, where does he live, and what is life like there?
9. What effect does the war have on Ward's relationship with Gertrude and his work?
10. When Mac arrives in Mexico City, what changes does he experience in his employment?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)