|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Ward sees McGill at a Kiwanis Convention, what position does McGill tell him about?
2. What is the name of the man who occupies the upper berth of the train compartment that Janey is traveling in?
(a) Fainy McCreary.
(b) John Booth.
(c) Buck Saunders.
(d) Samuel Clemens.
3. When Ward marries and quits his job, he and his new wife hope for ________________________.
(a) The death of their competitor.
(b) A windfall inheritance from McGill.
(c) Winning the state lottery.
(d) Money from her mother.
4. When Eleanor's French teacher dies, who replaces her?
(a) Annabelle Strang.
(b) J. Ward Moorehouse.
(c) Eveline Hutchins.
(d) Maurice Millet.
5. According to the Americans, where can Mac find work?
(a) San Francisco Tribune.
(b) United Nations.
(c) Mexican Herald.
(d) New York Times.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Janey discourage from moving to New York?
2. Where does a strike occur that results in violence, press coverage, and investigations?
3. Where does Concha plan on fleeing with the arrival of the rebels in the city?
4. What does Johnny want to study so he can get a job overseas?
5. What kind of car does Ward purchase in Pittsburgh?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ward and Gertrude's relationship change after they have children?
2. Why does Gertrude threaten Ward with divorce, and what effect can this divorce have upon him?
3. What happens when Charley's girlfriend gets pregnant?
4. What does Ward want to achieve on his own without Annabelle's support?
5. What does Charley decide to do when the pregnancy is terminated?
6. Initially, what decision does Johnny make about Annabelle in pages 151-172?
7. What does Mac do when the Zapata arrives in Mexico City?
8. After the play fails, how does Eleanor recover?
9. What effect does Annabelle's decision to terminate her pregnancy have on Ward?
10. What effect does the war have on Ward's relationship with Gertrude and his work?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)