|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Eleanor Stoddard born and raised?
(c) New York.
(d) Ocean City.
2. In his meeting with McGill to address the strike, what does Ward propose?
(a) An industry wide information bureau.
(b) To infiltrate the striking group with spies.
(c) To arrest the assembled demonstrators.
(d) To combat with weapons.
3. After breaking off her engagement, what does Eveline propose to Eleanor?
(a) To start an interior decorating business together.
(b) To move in together.
(c) To tear down the old lady's house and sell the land.
(d) To buy a sewing machine and become a tailor.
4. When Janey is upset by the pro-German atmosphere at her law firm, she quits and goes to work for a new company. What is the new company called?
(a) Bantam Books.
(b) Smelley Richards.
(c) Schuster and Simon.
(d) Metropolitan Art.
5. In the brief bio section of the Newsreel in pages 283-304, whose biography is discussed?
(a) Mr. McGill.
(b) President Harrison.
(c) Samuel Clemens.
(d) Bob La Follette.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Eleanor meet while looking at paintings at the Art Institute?
2. What is the story that circulates about Eleanor when she starts her first job?
3. Who sends Ward a letter telling him that the real estate industry in Ocean City is booming?
4. Who gives Eleanor money to start her own business in New York?
5. Who does Ward start to date in Pittsburgh?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Charley do for work in Minneapolis when he moves there?
2. How does Mac act in a similar fashion in Mexico City as he did in California?
3. What does Ward want to achieve on his own without Annabelle's support?
4. What does Eleanor do to conceal her upbringing?
5. What effect does Annabelle's decision to terminate her pregnancy have on Ward?
6. What new relationships does Mac form in Mexico City?
7. After Ward leaves Annabelle, where does he live, and what is life like there?
8. Why does Janey quit her job and look for new work?
9. When Eveline and Eleanor's business fails, what job opportunity do they take?
10. When Mac arrives in Mexico City, what changes does he experience in his employment?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)