|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Ward marries and quits his job, he and his new wife hope for ________________________.
(a) A windfall inheritance from McGill.
(b) The death of their competitor.
(c) Money from her mother.
(d) Winning the state lottery.
2. Where will Eleanor and Eveline be staying in New York as they start work?
(d) Jamaica Heights.
3. In his meeting with McGill to address the strike, what does Ward propose?
(a) To arrest the assembled demonstrators.
(b) To combat with weapons.
(c) An industry wide information bureau.
(d) To infiltrate the striking group with spies.
4. How much rent will Janey have to pay as a boarder?
(a) Thirty dollars a week.
(b) Fifteen dollars a week.
(c) Ten dollars a week.
(d) Fifty dollars a week.
5. Who is suffering from financial problems because of a collapse in the real estate industry?
(a) Ward's family.
(b) Annabelle's father.
(c) Mr. McGill.
(d) Mr. Oppenheimer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kinds of tickets does Mac buy?
2. Whom does Janey discourage from moving to New York?
3. According to the Americans, where can Mac find work?
4. Who is Mac's coworker in Mexico?
5. When Janey and Moorehouse return to the United States in a private train car, with whom do they travel?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Janey first arrives in New York, what is her initial impression?
2. How does Mac act in a similar fashion in Mexico City as he did in California?
3. How does Ward and Gertrude's relationship change after they have children?
4. After Ward leaves Annabelle, where does he live, and what is life like there?
5. What does Charley do for work in Minneapolis when he moves there?
6. What does Eleanor do to conceal her upbringing?
7. How does Janey change when she lives in New York?
8. What new relationships does Mac form in Mexico City?
9. When Mac arrives in Mexico City, what changes does he experience in his employment?
10. Why does Janey quit her job and look for new work?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)