|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who aids Mac in his new business venture?
2. Who is the friend that contacts Eleanor and Eveline to come and assist him on a play?
(a) Freddy Sergent.
(b) Mr. Oppenheimer.
(c) Tom Custis.
(d) Ward Moorehouse.
3. Who quarrels with Ward in his ofﬁce, threatening divorce?
4. Where did Mr. McGill promise to give Ward a job?
(a) The Pittsburgh Coal Miners Union.
(b) The Chamber of Commerce Information Bureau.
(c) The Pittsburgh Steel Plant.
(d) The Automobile Workers Association.
5. When Ward sees McGill at a Kiwanis Convention, what position does McGill tell him about?
6. After graduating high school, where did Charley move?
(a) St. Paul.
(d) San Diego.
7. What kinds of tickets does Mac buy?
(a) A ferry and plane ticket.
(b) A plane and bus ticket.
(c) A tram and boat ticket.
(d) A train and boat ticket.
8. Who gives Eleanor money to start her own business in New York?
9. In the brief bio section of the Newsreel in pages 283-304, whose biography is discussed?
(a) Bob La Follette.
(b) President Harrison.
(c) Mr. McGill.
(d) Samuel Clemens.
10. According to Charley's new fiance, who is the father of her child?
11. When Janey is upset by the pro-German atmosphere at her law firm, she quits and goes to work for a new company. What is the new company called?
(a) Metropolitan Art.
(b) Smelley Richards.
(c) Schuster and Simon.
(d) Bantam Books.
12. When her wealthy friend dies, what does Eleanor secretly hope for?
(a) She is mentioned in the will.
(b) She can have her freedom back.
(c) She can live in her friend's house.
(d) She can leave New York.
13. Who comes to work for Ward in New York?
(a) Fainy Mackintosh.
(b) Annabelle Strang.
(c) Mr. Oppenheimer.
(d) Edgar Robbins.
14. Who buys book stock from Mac?
(a) A Syrian.
(b) An Egyptian.
(c) A Swiss.
(d) A Mexican.
15. Where is Eleanor Stoddard born and raised?
(a) New York.
(c) Ocean City.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Smith tell Eleanor?
2. In the Camera Eye section in pages 193-214, where does Dos Passos talk about life?
3. Who helps Johnny get a job at the New York Herald?
4. According to the Americans, where can Mac find work?
5. Who is the nephew of one of the directors at Ward's new job with whom he socializes?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)