|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Smith tell Eleanor?
(a) She will be punished for being a parasite.
(b) She must leave immediately.
(c) She can occupy her friend's house.
(d) She received a diamond brooch in the will.
2. In September, with whom does Janey move into a house?
(a) Joseph and Mary Wilkes.
(b) Fainy McCreary and his dog.
(c) Eliza Tingley and her brother.
(d) John Booth and his wife.
3. When Mac hears that rebels will be arriving in the city, whose government is expected to flee?
4. Who comes to work for Ward in New York?
(a) Fainy Mackintosh.
(b) Annabelle Strang.
(c) Edgar Robbins.
(d) Mr. Oppenheimer.
5. Who is in charge of the production of the play?
(a) Benjamin Freelby.
(b) Ward Moorehouse.
(c) Fred Joop.
(d) Mr. Oppenheimer.
6. What does Charley do with the pills?
(a) Flushes them down a toilet.
(b) Gives them to Emiscah.
(c) Eats them himself.
(d) Throws them away.
7. Mac goes to join ___________in Mexico.
(b) Standard Oil.
(c) United States Army.
8. How much rent will Janey have to pay as a boarder?
(a) Fifteen dollars a week.
(b) Thirty dollars a week.
(c) Fifty dollars a week.
(d) Ten dollars a week.
9. Who is the friend that contacts Eleanor and Eveline to come and assist him on a play?
(a) Ward Moorehouse.
(b) Tom Custis.
(c) Mr. Oppenheimer.
(d) Freddy Sergent.
10. What kind of car does Ward purchase in Pittsburgh?
(a) A Pontiac convertible.
(b) A Rolls Royce.
(c) A red stutz roadster.
(d) A Chevy sedan.
11. Where did Mr. McGill promise to give Ward a job?
(a) The Automobile Workers Association.
(b) The Pittsburgh Steel Plant.
(c) The Pittsburgh Coal Miners Union.
(d) The Chamber of Commerce Information Bureau.
12. When Janey is upset by the pro-German atmosphere at her law firm, she quits and goes to work for a new company. What is the new company called?
(a) Metropolitan Art.
(b) Schuster and Simon.
(c) Bantam Books.
(d) Smelley Richards.
13. When the play closes after two weeks, what does Eleanor and Eveline fail to receive?
(a) All the contacts they expected.
(b) All the recognition they deserved.
(c) All the awards they expected.
(d) All the money they earned.
14. With whom does Mac enjoy discussing politics that works in the oil industry?
(a) Ben Stowell.
(b) J. Ward.
(c) Mark Korski.
(d) Annabelle Strang.
15. Who is the wealthy socialite that Eleanor starts to hang out with frequently?
(a) Tom Custis.
(b) Mr. Oppenheimer.
(c) Eric Ericstrom.
(d) Leaf Whitaker.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the train arrives in New York, how does Janey travel to reach her new office?
2. Who is the man at the Hotel Continental that offers Janey a new job?
3. To whom did Charley become engaged at Christmas?
4. Who cuts a trip short in Europe because of the threat of war?
5. Where is Eleanor Stoddard born and raised?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)