|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Johnny often finds Annabelle in the company of _____________.
(a) Her father.
(b) A Frenchman.
(c) A governess.
(d) Her neighbor.
2. When Mac is a child, what is he afraid of?
3. The real estate company sends Johnny on business to _____________.
(a) St. Louis, Missouri.
(b) San Francisco, California.
(c) Wilmington, Delaware.
(d) Ocean City, Maryland.
4. According to the ad, what is the salary for the job for which Fainy interviews?
(a) Forty dollars a month.
(b) Fifty dollars a week.
(c) Twenty dollars a month.
(d) Fifteen dollars a week.
5. In the Camera Eye, who tries to catch a train?
(a) Dos Passos and Lucy.
(b) Milly and Chad.
(c) Scott and Mac.
(d) Harrison and Fainy.
6. According to a News Reel, what did Luther Burbank develop?
(a) A cure for cancer.
(b) New technology.
(c) Hybrid plants.
(d) A car that can fly.
7. When Ike finds out that he has a venereal disease, what does a bum tell him to take for a cure?
(a) Tea made of cherry pits and stems.
(b) Vodka and rum.
(c) Nettles and chamomile.
(d) Prunes and melons.
8. What does Maisie tell Mac in her letter to him?
(a) She is pregnant and wants to get married.
(b) She is lonely and misses him.
(c) She is angry.
(d) She is sick and dying.
9. Where do Ike and Fainy finally find work in Seattle?
(a) At a detention facility.
(b) At a restaurant.
(c) At a hostel.
(d) At a lumber camp.
10. What is Fainy supposed to say if anyone asks where he is taking the boxes?
(a) To his mother's.
(b) To the cleaners.
(c) To his house.
(d) To a funeral home.
11. Who sends Janey postcards when she is twenty-one?
12. What does the son of the woman who owns a farmhouse sneak into the barn to buy?
(d) A book on sex.
13. How do Fainy and Bingham travel in Michigan?
(a) By train.
(b) By subway.
(c) By car.
(d) By horse and wagon.
14. Whom does Johnny meet on the train that is from a wealthy family?
(a) Upton Sinclair.
(b) Lisa Stromwell.
(c) Annabelle Marie Strang.
(d) Mark Fitzburg.
15. Who tries to sell books and pamphlets to men inside the railroad cars?
(a) Doc Mary.
(b) Manny Binghman.
(c) Fainy Crealy.
(d) Saginaw Rush.
Short Answer Questions
1. Janey and her friend get jobs as typists at ____________.
2. At whose print shop in San Francisco does Mac get a job?
3. Why did Johnny have to give up on his college in his second year?
4. When Mac moves to San Diego, what kind of work does he do?
5. Who is Joe's friend that Janey has a crush on as a young girl?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)