|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom is "given" to the company on the 6th night of Part Three?
2. How old is Heme in Part Three?
3. What was the "unique pleasure" of Father Etienne?
4. According to the Introduction to "120 Days of Sodom," whose war has drained the state treasury?
5. Who is the only man to "discharge" on the morning of the "First Day"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the facts regarding the 150 Murderous Passions?
2. What are the facts regarding the 150 Criminal Passions?
3. What does the Duc require of Curval if he is to allow Curval to marry his daughter Julie?
4. Why does Duclos' story get interrupted on the First Day?
5. Why does Ernestine wish to marry Herman?
6. What do the "four libertines" do to strengthen their ties?
7. What are the details surrounding Herman?
8. What did the introduction of "Oxtiern" state about the play?
9. What are the facts regarding the 150 Complex Passions?
10. What does Oxtiern tell Fabrice is his only concern?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a critical analysis on Sade's texts. Focus on the material that both critics (included in the text) focused upon. Do you agree with their thoughts? Why? Do you disagree with their thoughts? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Must we burn Sade? What do you think? Upon finding your answer, be sure to create an argument strong enough to try to sway others. Do we burn him? Why? What has he done to deserve this? Why not? How are his works worthy of praise and not punishment?
Essay Topic 3
This essay needs to be written in definitive sections. Answer the following questions in the succession asked.
1) What is the difference between sadism and masochism?
2) Do you believe one to be more deviant than the other?
3) In your opinion, was Sade a sadist or masochist?
4) Do you believe that his infatuation with either sadism or masochism fueled his writings? If not, what do you believe fueled it?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)