|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many guards were escorting the carriage of the young ladies?
2. How old are the "young maids" that attend the fourth dinner party?
3. The narrator tells Falkeniem that his sole purpose in traveling is ___________.
4. What is the name of the man whom Ernestine loves?
5. All ____________are barred from the dining table of the "society."
Essay Topic 1
How do you believe Sade would be looked upon as a writer today versus the way that he was regarded in the late 1700's? Are there certain aspects of his writing that would been seen as completely acceptable today, but were not accepted at all during the late 1700's? Is there material in Sade's writing that still would be considered "criminal" today?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you believe that Sade found it necessary to describe his characters from "120 Days of Sodom" in such depth? What did the depth of the description do for you as a reader? Did the description cause you to feel differently about the character than if they were not described in such depth? Why? What do you think a more "lacking" description would have done for you as a reader?
Essay Topic 3
How did you find yourself reacting to the text as you read it? What were your concerns? Did you believe that you were prepared to read the text and find that you were, in fact, not? Or, did you find that you were more than prepared for the material presented in the text because of the more lax societal views on sexual "deviancy" today?
This section contains 1,236 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)