|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom is "given" to the company on the 6th night of Part Three?
2. Whom does Fabrice call the most dangerous man in Sweden?
3. Who is the only man to "discharge" on the morning of the "First Day"?
4. What is the age range of the young men who were gathered to be at the "society's" first dinner party"?
5. Oxtiern tells Derbac his one goal in life is ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the stage directions for Act One?
2. What are the facts regarding the 150 Criminal Passions?
3. What does the First Day entail?
4. What main concerns does Fabrice have regarding Oxtiern's relationship with Ernestine?
5. What are the facts regarding the 150 Murderous Passions?
6. At the third dinner party, who are the guests?
7. Why does Oxtiern tell Fabrice that Ernestine's father has not accompanied her on her travels?
8. When Duclos continues her story on the First Day, what questions does Duc have regarding the story?
9. What is special about the Friday parties?
10. What happens to Narcisse at the supper meal on the First Day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you believe that Sade appropriately defended himself in his response to Villeterque? In what ways did Sade appropriately defend himself? In what ways did he fail to defend himself? Do you believe that Sade wrote the best response that he could to Villeterque? Why/Why not?
Essay Topic 2
Write a critical analysis on Sade's texts. Focus on the material that both critics (included in the text) focused upon. Do you agree with their thoughts? Why? Do you disagree with their thoughts? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you believe that the "Passions" moved from "complex" to "criminal" to "murderous"? What was the progression? What changed as the "Passions" progressed? Why do you believe the "Passions" changed?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)