|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the rules, who has to be present whenever two or more children are present?
2. On what day is the "First Day"?
3. According to Casmir's claims, who is the accomplice to the Count in debaucheries?
4. According to the Bishop, who needs to be punished severely on Saturday?
5. According to Part Three of "The 120 Days of Sodom," what month is it?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the third dinner party, who are the guests?
2. During the sixth week festival in December, what happens?
3. What did the introduction of "Oxtiern" state about the play?
4. Who are the guests at the first dinner party of the "four libertines"?
5. Why does Herman want to wait to marry?
6. What does the First Day entail?
7. Who assumes the task of the storytelling in December?
8. To whom do the 150 Simple Passions belong?
9. Why does Ernestine wish to marry Herman?
10. What is special about the Friday parties?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "Must We Burn Sade?" Simone de Beauvior stated that he believed that Sade's hatred of his mother was "the key to his life and work." What do you believe this to mean? Given that not much is known about Sade's life as a child, what could one assume that Sade's hatred for his mother was based upon? (Hint: Freud is mentioned in this section. What would Freud say?)
Essay Topic 2
Do you agree with Villeterque's point of view on Sade's writings? Why/Why not? With what part of his statements do you agree? Why? With what part of his statements do you disagree? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Do you believe that Sade appropriately defended himself in his response to Villeterque? In what ways did Sade appropriately defend himself? In what ways did he fail to defend himself? Do you believe that Sade wrote the best response that he could to Villeterque? Why/Why not?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)