|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Introduction to "120 Days of Sodom," whose war has drained the state treasury?
2. Who gets married during the sixth week's festival in December?
3. What do the "young lads," who are 12-14 years of age, wear to the first dinner parties of the "society"?
4. What does the narrator say is the second most important city in Sweden?
5. Which person is interrupted during their narration and told by the President not to omit any details?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the third dinner party, who are the guests?
2. What are the facts regarding the 150 Murderous Passions?
3. What are the stage directions for Act One?
4. What are the details surrounding Herman?
5. What does Oxtiern tell Fabrice is his only concern?
6. Why does Oxtiern tell Fabrice that Ernestine's father has not accompanied her on her travels?
7. What does the First Day entail?
8. What are the stage directions for Act Three?
9. What were the pairings of the "four libertines"?
10. When Duclos continues her story on the First Day, what questions does Duc have regarding the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you agree with Villeterque's point of view on Sade's writings? Why/Why not? With what part of his statements do you agree? Why? With what part of his statements do you disagree? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Do you believe that Sade's writings were pornographic? Or, did he go beyond pornographic for you (as a reader)? Were there specific actions that you would consider "going a little too far"? Or, do you believe that Sade went just far enough?
Essay Topic 3
In your opinion, was Duc, the Bishop, the President de Curval, or Durcet the most deviant character? Which character do you believe to be the least deviant? Why? Use textual evidence to support your answer.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)