|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Madame Scholtz tells Oxtiern that Herman's profession is that of a ___________.
2. What is the name of Duc's daughter whom he gives to Curval to marry?
3. Which person is interrupted during their narration and told by the President not to omit any details?
4. What did Geoffrey give to Duclos while in Louis' cell?
5. According to Ernestine, what will she never be able to do again?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the details surrounding Herman?
2. What are the facts regarding the 150 Complex Passions?
3. What are the facts regarding the 150 Murderous Passions?
4. At the third dinner party, who are the guests?
5. What does the First Day entail?
6. What does the Duc require of Curval if he is to allow Curval to marry his daughter Julie?
7. Why does the narrator wish to see the famous mines in Sweden?
8. What did the introduction of "Oxtiern" state about the play?
9. What were the pairings of the "four libertines"?
10. Who are the guests at the first dinner party of the "four libertines"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the character of Oxtiern in the play "Oxtiern" and in the story "Ernestine." How are the depictions similar? How are they different? Which Oxtiern did you find more offensive? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Many ancient cultures, dating back over 4,000 years, boasted very sexual imagery. Some of the imagery was very perverse in nature. While perverse, the desire for such imagery remained among many of the great cultures. Based upon this, do you believe that Sade's writings had a place in his own culture? Why/Why not? Why do you think that writings, such as Sade's, were desired among the great societies of the world?
Essay Topic 3
This essay needs to be written in definitive sections. Answer the following questions in the succession asked.
1) What is the difference between sadism and masochism?
2) Do you believe one to be more deviant than the other?
3) In your opinion, was Sade a sadist or masochist?
4) Do you believe that his infatuation with either sadism or masochism fueled his writings? If not, what do you believe fueled it?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)