|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the rules, who has to be present whenever two or more children are present?
2. According to Duc during the first day, ______________ are "they who absolutely cannot bear the instant when the illusion is shattered."
3. On the evening of the 9th of December, what is Michette allowed to wear?
4. All ____________are barred from the dining table of the "society."
5. With whom does Fabrice wish the Count to lodge?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the facts regarding the 150 Complex Passions?
2. Who assumes the task of the storytelling in December?
3. Why does Oxtiern tell Fabrice that Ernestine's father has not accompanied her on her travels?
4. What does Oxtiern tell Fabrice is his only concern?
5. What main concerns does Fabrice have regarding Oxtiern's relationship with Ernestine?
6. What are the details surrounding Herman?
7. Why does Ernestine wish to marry Herman?
8. What are the stage directions for Act Three?
9. What does the Duc require of Curval if he is to allow Curval to marry his daughter Julie?
10. Who are the guests at the first dinner party of the "four libertines"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Sade was an atheist, do you think that he believed himself to be "god-like" or divine? What qualities did he show that would cause one to believe that Sade carried himself like a god? Or, do you believe that Sade thought himself to be simply mortal? Why?
Essay Topic 2
In an age where technology reigns supreme, people are mystified and obsessed with criminals. This is evidenced by television shows which feature serial killers and movies that are meant to disgust and frighten. Do you think that society is ready for Sade? Why/Why not?
Essay Topic 3
This essay needs to be written in definitive sections. Answer the following questions in the succession asked.
1) What is the difference between sadism and masochism?
2) Do you believe one to be more deviant than the other?
3) In your opinion, was Sade a sadist or masochist?
4) Do you believe that his infatuation with either sadism or masochism fueled his writings? If not, what do you believe fueled it?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)