|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Part Three of "The 120 Days of Sodom," what month is it?
2. Madame Scholtz tells Oxtiern that Herman's profession is that of a ___________.
3. What do the "young lads," who are 12-14 years of age, wear to the first dinner parties of the "society"?
4. When Ernestine sees Herman for the first time after he is accused of theft, where is he?
5. Whom is "given" to the company on the 6th night of Part Three?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Women have fought over Sade's writing. Angela Carter ("The Sadeian Woman: And the Ideology of Pornography" (1979)) believed Sade to be a "moral pornographer." Andrea Dworkin ("Pornography: Men Possessing Women" (1979)) saw Sade as the model of the "woman-hating pornographer." With whom do you agree? Did Sade hate women, or did he create a "special place" for women in the lives of men?
Essay Topic 2
Must we burn Sade? What do you think? Upon finding your answer, be sure to create an argument strong enough to try to sway others. Do we burn him? Why? What has he done to deserve this? Why not? How are his works worthy of praise and not punishment?
Essay Topic 3
In an age where technology reigns supreme, people are mystified and obsessed with criminals. This is evidenced by television shows which feature serial killers and movies that are meant to disgust and frighten. Do you think that society is ready for Sade? Why/Why not?
This section contains 1,270 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)