|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator questions Falkeniem about __________.
2. Where does Act One open in "Oxtiern"?
3. How old was Duclos when she found Geoffrey, a monk, in a cell with Louis?
4. The narrator tells Falkeniem that his sole purpose in traveling is ___________.
5. Who is bled on the 20th night of Part Three?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the stage directions for Act One?
2. What are the stage directions for Act Three?
3. Why does Oxtiern tell Fabrice that Ernestine's father has not accompanied her on her travels?
4. Why does Ernestine wish to marry Herman?
5. Why do Oxtiern and Madame Scholtz scheme to keep Ernestine and Herman apart?
6. What were the pairings of the "four libertines"?
7. When "the story opens," what are the circumstances surrounding Saunders?
8. What are the details surrounding Herman?
9. What are the facts regarding the 150 Criminal Passions?
10. Who assumes the task of the storytelling in December?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you agree with Villeterque's point of view on Sade's writings? Why/Why not? With what part of his statements do you agree? Why? With what part of his statements do you disagree? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Do you believe that Sade's writings were pornographic? Or, did he go beyond pornographic for you (as a reader)? Were there specific actions that you would consider "going a little too far"? Or, do you believe that Sade went just far enough?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you believe that the "Passions" moved from "complex" to "criminal" to "murderous"? What was the progression? What changed as the "Passions" progressed? Why do you believe the "Passions" changed?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)