|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Ernestine, A Swedish Tale," when does the narrator leave Paris to travel to Sweden?
2. Who are the guests at the second dinner party?
3. What do the "young lads," who are 12-14 years of age, wear to the first dinner parties of the "society"?
4. How old is Heme in Part Three?
5. Oxtiern's protege protege is considered to be _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What main concerns does Fabrice have regarding Oxtiern's relationship with Ernestine?
2. Who are the guests at the first dinner party of the "four libertines"?
3. Why do Oxtiern and Madame Scholtz scheme to keep Ernestine and Herman apart?
4. What are the facts regarding the 150 Murderous Passions?
5. When "the story opens," what are the circumstances surrounding Saunders?
6. Why does Herman want to wait to marry?
7. What is special about the Friday parties?
8. Why does Duclos' story get interrupted on the First Day?
9. What are the facts regarding the 150 Criminal Passions?
10. What are the stage directions for Act One?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In an age where technology reigns supreme, people are mystified and obsessed with criminals. This is evidenced by television shows which feature serial killers and movies that are meant to disgust and frighten. Do you think that society is ready for Sade? Why/Why not?
Essay Topic 2
While it is a fact that Sade's writing was banned for close to 170 years in France, it was also banned in England and the United States. Why do you think that the ban was lifted on the text? What about the text did some find worthy of lifting the ban? Would you have lifted the ban? Why/Why not?
Essay Topic 3
This essay needs to be written in definitive sections. Answer the following questions in the succession asked.
1) What is the difference between sadism and masochism?
2) Do you believe one to be more deviant than the other?
3) In your opinion, was Sade a sadist or masochist?
4) Do you believe that his infatuation with either sadism or masochism fueled his writings? If not, what do you believe fueled it?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)